Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2010 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    you can't have people upload to their own site because of the way the server works. even if you upload your avatar to an external source (like *******, etc) in order to use it on the forums it still gets uploaded to the forum database. as said in the past, it's not necessary to the forum for everyone to have custom avatars and it would take up way too much space.
    There is a way in VBulliten to make it work. That's why it taking up too much space on the servers is irrelevant. We dont need to use the sites servers

if the way to make it work is a hack, joe will never use any sort of hack so you can rule that out.

this is me on sppf most of the time. so don't send me small questions. send them to kreis :)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

I'm pretty sure it is possible to do it without a hack. All that is needed is some code modification.

It is possible but I wont do it

Images being on other servers is not only bringing the potential of broken images, but is extremely dangerous and would require constant moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    It is possible but I wont do it

Images being on other servers is not only bringing the potential of broken images, but is extremely dangerous and would require constant moderation
    Fair enough mate. But still, places like Imageshack are reputable.

I think Serebii should make a continuous thread about a trainer going on his own journey. Someone would make the first page, then someone else would add to the story. That way you create a story, and everyone can do!

That's a Chain Fanfic, not really Serebii's forte (though, he did write a fanfic once (sough*Mary Sue*cough)). I suggest you enquire about it in the Author's Café in the Fan Fic Forum.

Banner Count: 14

i think you should be able to search members

Quote Originally Posted by dragonite12342 View Post
    i think you should be able to search members
    Erm, you can?

A shoddy battle section.

credit: Thunderstrike Graphics Shop for the userbar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    My cat walks around at night and I'm fairly sure that she's stalking me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewkachu View Post
    A shoddy battle section.
    http://serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145

This isn't really a suggestion, and I know that it's most likely a problem within vBulletin and no one here can do something about it, but whenever I try and rate a thread that has already been rated, it says I've already rated it.

It's not a big deal, I'm just wondering if it happens to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    For the episode discussion threads, I think we need to wait until the episodes air from now on. If you look at the last few episodes that have aired, including today, the first page or two of each one looks like Twitter. A bunch of +1 posting with simple messages like "Infernape up now".

Example: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=462050
    I have to agree with HoennMaster. I just saw the DP 656 anime discussion thread and the first half of the thread looks like Twitter on steroids. Just a bunch of people like Ash-kid and adyniz posting random comments like "_____ lost" or "____ and _____ battled", every few minutes. There are just too many of these posts being posted and they have nothing to do with actual discussion of the episode. I'd report them all but there's just way too many to keep track of at this point. I think the anime discussion threads should remain closed at least until the site has the episode pictures out.

Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post
    This isn't really a suggestion, and I know that it's most likely a problem within vBulletin and no one here can do something about it, but whenever I try and rate a thread that has already been rated, it says I've already rated it.

It's not a big deal, I'm just wondering if it happens to anyone else.
    yeah we've known about it for awhile, does it usually happen to you when you try to rate a thread thats rated one star? for some reason if a thread is rated one star it'll stay that way and no one can rate it again since it says you've already rated it. none of us know why it happens or how to fix it but thread rating isnt that big of a deal anyway.

and as for the anime discussion threads, that's something that would be better to bring up with the anime mods. this thread is mostly for suggestions concerning the whole site and a lot of the staff never even looks in anime so we wouldnt be much help.

this is me on sppf most of the time. so don't send me small questions. send them to kreis :)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Mods that will actually stay in CRMT, and keep it modded, rather than just pop in every once in a while.
    And a Claim _______ Sub-Forum, they're all scattered around the Forum, and it can be a pain finding them.
    I have claimed Tangrowth.
    He's all mine now, hands off.

How about holding a donation pool or something similar (most people will surely donate), this money can then be used for many things like improving the time lag and serebii joe deserves something for this epic site.

"I'd rather be critiqued by people of high standards,
    than be praised by people of low standards." ~ Mozart

Credits to the amazing Skiyomi for the banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Vshan View Post
    How about holding a donation pool or something similar (most people will surely donate), this money can then be used for many things like improving the time lag and serebii joe deserves something for this epic site.
    Joe doesn't want donations.
    [03:16] <kesha> youre a 10 baby

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Yeah, besides, how many of the members here even get pocket money =/ To donate online you need a Visa or Mastercard, meaning you have to be at least 18.

I'm quite sure no one would pay.

However, the Google Ads actually earn the site money.

I just noticed that the amount of views topics get is constantly updated. If you let the amount of views update only once every hour or so, you'll be able to reduce the lag.
    Nathan respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

Quote Originally Posted by natie View Post
    I just noticed that the amount of views topics get is constantly updated. If you let the amount of views update only once every hour or so, you'll be able to reduce the lag.
    I second this. Nobody actually cares about the views, and if they help reduce lag I say remove them altogether.

Something else: give all mods the power to move topics to wherever they want, but not from wherever they want.

Let's say someone posted a topic in Misc. that actually belonged in Computer Systems, now, it would just be closed and the poster would have to post it again (that is, if it was locked by someone that has control over Misc. but not over Computer Systems). If you gave all mods the ability to move topics everywhere, the forums would be more organized, rather than having a bunch of locked topics everywhere.

That said, it might bring some lag again but I'm not sure.
    Nathan respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

Something else: give all mods the power to move topics to wherever they want, but not from wherever they want.

Let's say someone posted a topic in Misc. that actually belonged in Computer Systems, now, it would just be closed and the poster would have to post it again (that is, if it was locked by someone that has control over Misc. but not over Computer Systems). If you gave all mods the ability to move topics everywhere, the forums would be more organized, rather than having a bunch of locked topics everywhere.

That said, it might bring some lag again but I'm not sure.
    Mods have that ability already...

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Yeah, besides, how many of the members here even get pocket money =/ To donate online you need a Visa or Mastercard, meaning you have to be at least 18.

I'm quite sure no one would pay.

However, the Google Ads actually earn the site money.
    Not necessarily. With PayPal, you would just need a bank account connected to the PayPal account so you could just transfer the money. But I agree, donations are not a good idea (and Joe doesn't want them). The ads are fine. There not in the way, nor are they fancy.

Also agree with natie. The closed threads really need to go and mods should be able to just move any displaced threads to were they belong. It would organize the forum and reduce the amount of info that needs to be loaded, thus probably reducing the lag a bit.

I also think that doing away with the search feature and the rating feature would be ideal. They don't work and are just taking up space. Since, like Ellie said, the rating thing isn't that big a deal anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal getting rid of it.

Also, is the Calendar page popular or useful in anyway? Cause I know a lot of people (including myself) who never use it. Maybe make it part of the User CP page instead and make it optional. Just another way to organize the clutter.

I know that there is a thread now for the VGCs, but maybe there should be an official sub-forum for it in the competitive forum. Since it is growing in popularity and differs greatly from the metagame, it would be beneficial.

That's all I can think of for now.

edit: Scratch the mod part since Joe already answered that.
    Last edited by DBK; 26th August 2010 at 6:26 PM. Reason: new info
    MY FIRST EVER RANDOM SHINY!: (4/15/2011)

If you add me P/VM me.

Spoiler:- CREDITS:

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Mods have that ability already...
    What? But why don't they make any use of it, then?

I seem to remember Profesco just locking one of my threads and saying it would be better fit in the Games section, why didn't he move it, then?

Quote Originally Posted by DBK View Post
    I also think that doing away with the search feature and the rating feature would be ideal. They don't work and are just taking up space. Since, like Ellie said, the rating thing isn't that big a deal anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal getting rid of it.

I know that there is a thread now for the VGCs, but maybe there should be an official sub-forum for it in the competitive forum. Since it is growing in popularity and differs greatly from the metagame, it would be beneficial.
    we wouldnt get rid of the search feature because some people actually do use it. it helps you find the answer to your question instead of making a new thread and find other things. i use the search feature a lot personally and i know others who do as well.

for vgc, that would probably be better to ask the crmt mods if they want to do that.

What? But why don't they make any use of it, then?

I seem to remember Profesco just locking one of my threads and saying it would be better fit in the Games section, why didn't he move it, then?
    obviously im not profesco so i cant say for sure, but a lot of times mods dont move threads to sections outside of theirs because either 1) your thread wouldnt follow the rules in the other section and would need to be tweaked before it was allowed there or 2) the mod moving the thread is unfamiliar with the section he/she would have to move it to and doesnt want to move a thread that could break the rules or be redundant (that has happened before when some less-considerate mods move stuff).

some mods do make use of it, especially when they're familiar with the section it has to be moved to. but if your thread could potentially break the rules in the new section anyway, its usually easier on the mod doing the moving to lock it and tell you to consider section x instead.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast