Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2010 Edition

There's also a bunch of typos and mistakes spread across the entire forum, so if you want, I can help to iron them all out.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

Please do, I suck at spelling. So does Joe apparently.

Please do, I suck at spelling. So does Joe apparently.

yea i changed it last night to remove the thing about mod+ but theres so much junk in there. it's html i think. locke if you want to help i can c/p parts to you and stuff.. but yeah.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Another suggestion, turn off Post Count in Announcements. It's as much needed there as it is in Serebii.net Discussion. Except all that goes on there is THANK YOU and what ends up being spamfests.

I'd also like to request a forum in Misc for locked threads, and making it to where moved threads don't leave links from their original forums. On the Miscellaneous Discussion homepage at the time of writing, 10 of the 20 displayed threads are either closed or moved. There's a similar concept in GPD that I think Profesco is running, aptly named Closed Thread Container. It's a good concept but I'm pretty sure the threads all congeal together. In this proposed Misc. Graveyard, subbed where threads go to die, (visible to the public or visible to staff only, either way) closed threads could be moved and remain intact, and result in less clutter in the forum itself, BUT the people of misc could still be wary of what NOT to do whether it's bumping or creating duplicate threads, or spamming. Is it more work? Yes. Is it worth it? Who's to say but experience?
    Last edited by Locke Yggdrasill; 7th October 2010 at 9:56 PM.

@RaZoR LeAf: well, could you dump all the text on the forum (not the posts obviously) and send it to me on Pastebin or something? I'll then fix everything and send the fixed text back to you.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Locke Yggdrasill View Post
    Another suggestion, turn off Post Count in Announcements. It's as much needed there as it is in Serebii.net Discussion. Except all that goes on there is THANK YOU and what ends up being spamfests.

I'd also like to request a forum in Misc for locked threads, and making it to where moved threads don't leave links from their original forums. On the Miscellaneous Discussion homepage at the time of writing, 10 of the 20 displayed threads are either closed or moved. There's a similar concept in GPD that I think Profesco is running, aptly named Closed Thread Container. It's a good concept but I'm pretty sure the threads all congeal together. In this proposed Misc. Graveyard, subbed where threads go to die, (visible to the public or visible to staff only, either way) closed threads could be moved and remain intact, and result in less clutter in the forum itself, BUT the people of misc could still be wary of what NOT to do whether it's bumping or creating duplicate threads, or spamming. Is it more work? Yes. Is it worth it? Who's to say but experience?
    Yes.

Turn off postcount in forum announcements. Whenever Joe makes an unecessary announcement (In my opinion when you release new avatars you should close the thread upon posting.) people always flock to get their precious PC + 1 and it is essentially 5 to 6 pages of the same thing. Mindless praise. Do we really need this?

I would also be happy to have a small subsection to move all closed threads into for Misc. With the heading being bold cursive "Examples of crap you are not permitted to post!" It would serve as an example to other members, and it would make the main page look cleaner and less tacky.

GO. GO. GO. LOCKE GO!

Locke's right, the Closed Thread Container merges everything together in chronological order, making it difficult to follow the path of any single thread in it from post to post. That's a drawback, certainly, but GPD is always very clean and organized now, and a visually appealing forum draws in and keeps more members.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    I would also be happy to have a small subsection to move all closed threads into for Misc. With the heading being bold cursive "Examples of crap you are not permitted to post!" It would serve as an example to other members, and it would make the main page look cleaner and less tacky.
    Meh, a whole subforum just for closed threads seems a tad excessive to me, but the idea has obvious merit. I wouldn't be averse to using it, even though it seems like a big gesture to make for just a few threads.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Well, it's not like one single new subforum will make things any more difficult, what with the countless unnecessary subforums and all.

a whole subforum is excessive. yes, there are already a lot but you can at least post in the others. a whole forum just for locked threads in misc is not necessary.

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

a whole subforum is excessive. yes, there are already a lot but you can at least post in the others. a whole forum just for locked threads in misc is not necessary.

Something should be done though. For the moment, a locked thread container would be the best option left if you're not going to add more subforums.

Well, I think that Misc. does get a lot of ****, but a sub forum is a little much. It would be nice to see a closed thread container though.

---------- join ever grande city, a fun and new pokemon forum!! // tumblr

To what definition do you hold excess though? The eyesore? Because in my opinion the state of disarray the misc index suffers through on a daily (re: my original post was 10/20 threads closed or moved, now it's 11/20. Not trying to prove increase, but to prove it's a common problem) basis is an eyesore and is very much in excess.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say the staff is doing a bad job. If anything it proves the efficiency of the Misc Disc Staff machine. Machines do produce waste though. And without anywhere for that waste to go it'll slowly kill the users, like carbon monoxide.
    Do you really want carbon monoxide cloggin' up the forum?

PS I avoided using "Do you want carbon monoxide killin' the users?" because, well, er...yeah. You know why.

EDIT: Please understand I'm not trying to argue or be difficult. I'm just trying to put my idea into more of a visual perspective instead of an on-paper perspective.
    Last edited by Locke Yggdrasill; 10th October 2010 at 8:50 AM.

Personally I don't think its excessive. It's like how the Romans put down Spartacus's rebellion. They crucified them all and put them up as road decorations. Making an example out of everyone is the best way to maintain order.

Anyway it doesn't seem likely to catch so there's no more point in discussing it. Carry on.

How about getting rid of Tech Help FAQ, moving all the threads from there into Tech help, and making a sticky with links to the FAQs?

Also, what about a section for locked threads from every section? It's easier to go through than a locked thread container.

good call pkmnhippy. I've been questioning the necessity of the existence of Tech Help FAQ too :P

Quote Originally Posted by pkmnhippy View Post
    Also, what about a section for locked threads from every section? It's easier to go through than a locked thread container.
    There's already a section where closed, banned, deleted, et cetera threads from the entire forum go, but it's hidden. And anyway, that idea sort of defeats one of the good points of having visible closed threads in-section, the one Ethan espouses above - namely, that they allow people to see what sort of thread gets closed in any given section. Sending all locked threads to a single section would take away even that small boon.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Is a separate section for each of the different generations needed? I've seen other Pokémon forums that just have one place for collective discussion of games released in that generation. I can understand keeping the fourth and fifth ones the same since they have a lot more things to talk about, but I think it could be a lot easier putting the rest of the games into one section. Just having "Past Generations," as the main section and then putting "First Generation, "Second," etc. would be a lot nicer imo. c:

I second that. The list of forums seems endless nowadays, so combining some uncommonly used ones would most likely be beneficial (and would make people find out about the 'lower' forums more easily).

Quote Originally Posted by Buraddo_Aipom View Post
    Is a separate section for each of the different generations needed? I've seen other Pokémon forums that just have one place for collective discussion of games released in that generation. I can understand keeping the fourth and fifth ones the same since they have a lot more things to talk about, but I think it could be a lot easier putting the rest of the games into one section. Just having "Past Generations," as the main section and then putting "First Generation, "Second," etc. would be a lot nicer imo. c:
    Serebii has said he wont merge the Generation Forums.

Something almost nitpicky here, but is it possible to introduce the ability to re-hide a spoiler after opening it, for the sake of saving space and maintaining neatness?

I really wanna see a whole new section, pretty much a clone of the competetive section but casual, so there can be casual clans and whatnot too, and then we can organise casual battles too, I really wanna get involved in clans and stuff, but I dislike competetive pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueRabbit View Post
    Something almost nitpicky here, but is it possible to introduce the ability to re-hide a spoiler after opening it, for the sake of saving space and maintaining neatness?
    That may involve a small hack to have that work like that and Joe doesn't like hacks. =/ This is something I certainly think would be a nice idea though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Floatzel View Post
    I really wanna see a whole new section, pretty much a clone of the competetive section but casual, so there can be casual clans and whatnot too, and then we can organise casual battles too, I really wanna get involved in clans and stuff, but I dislike competetive pokemon.
    Well idk much about clans but with battles I believe you can always request casual/'everything goes' battles in 4th gen wifi (and 5th gen wifi maybe soonish?)

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Closing a spoiler is possible on vBulletin v4.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast