Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2010 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    If I recall correctly, blogs cost a bit extra to have. Joe made a thread asking for opinions on if people thought blogs should be brought here or not, and end result was no blogs from that.
    Would that be the same reason why custom avatars are reserved for staff?

No, avatars are only for staff because of the server crashes that'd occur if everyone had an avatar. It's even mentioned two posts above my previous one:
    How many times does it need to be repeated, that allowing custom avatars for every member of the forums would slow the server down to a crawl? Great, you have your own avatar, it just takes a day to open a thread. What would you rather?

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Pokemon Analysis: The Seel/Dewgong Line! Whatever animals are these based on...?
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    If I recall correctly, blogs cost a bit extra to have. Joe made a thread asking for opinions on if people thought blogs should be brought here or not, and end result was no blogs from that.
    Blogs cost money? Say what? I thought the point of blogs was that they were free...

There's a perfectly simple way to integrate a 'blog' system in the forums, and that is by adding another subforum in Misc. (without post count increasing, otherwise the kiddies will start spamming the section with "Hai I ate an apple also my postcount is now 100,000" and the likes) in which any user (or once they hit a certain number of posts/gain moderator approval/etc.) can post topics about the happenings in their life, or just rant about anything they want (of course general forum rules still apply there).

Simple, yet effective, and even though it may not catch on at first, everyone has something he/she wants to tell other people about, but it is not worthy of a 'true' Misc. topic, or of a post in one of the already existing ones.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

Quote Originally Posted by natie View Post
    Blogs cost money? Say what? I thought the point of blogs was that they were free...
    Well after a short minute of searching in the announcement section: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=338861

Hey guys

I was recently informed of a new vbulletin feature that adds to the community feel we've been going for here in that you can have your own personal blog here.

However as this upgrade costs a bit of money, I was wondering what the general consensus of the public here would be before proceeding

So would you lot be interested in something like this for here?
    I'd also say that the blog system would be way better than a subsection for the such (if more expensive but that was not apparently an issue for Joe then?)

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Pokemon Analysis: The Seel/Dewgong Line! Whatever animals are these based on...?
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Well, that topic was made more than 2 years ago, I think it's worth another try. Besides, Joe is apparently able to afford it anyhow (reading Brettt's post on the last page tells me the price is miniscule). I also strongly doubt it can bring any negative consequences. I'll PM you a link to a forum that is about the size of this one, where the same thing happened: nobody really wanted blogs, but nowadays, the section is booming.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

Hmm, how about a section in the video games section, that could just be called "General Gaming Discussion" that has both Nintendo and other platforms in it, so you don't have to care about posting something about the Kinect or PS Move in the Nintendo Discussion, and I feel it would just be easier for everyone this way. I'd think it would be better to not have the Nintendo & Other Video Games Discussions, but then wouldn't all the threads there be deleted?

Also, how about the option to edit the name of threads that you make? I think that would be fine, because it would make sense to edit the names of threads that you make, like when you spell something wrong, or you just want to change most of the thread's name.

I hope this isn't too much (since it really couldn't be that much trouble).
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

First idea, great, I fully agree with it.

Second one, not so much. The problem with being able to edit your topic title is that you can edit it to anything, so you can swear as much as you want in it, which is obviously not the way to go. Sure, you can do the same thing with posts, but still. You should just make sure there are no typos in your title (or anywhere in your posts, for that matter, most browsers nowadays have a spelling checker built in anyway), and if there occasionally is one, just PM a mod about it and they'll change it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by natie View Post
    First idea, great, I fully agree with it.

Second one, not so much. The problem with being able to edit your topic title is that you can edit it to anything, so you can swear as much as you want in it, which is obviously not the way to go. Sure, you can do the same thing with posts, but still. You should just make sure there are no typos in your title (or anywhere in your posts, for that matter, most browsers nowadays have a spelling checker built in anyway), and if there occasionally is one, just PM a mod about it and they'll change it for you.
    Oh, probably should have thought of that when typing it. XD I have spellchecker (like a bunch of other people), and some of the n00bs here, are way to immature, and would edit their topic title too much (probably inappropriately), but I guess just asking a Mod is okay.

Thanks for telling me that, natie.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

just a little more info on the threat title thing, i dont even know if thats possible since i looked under usergroup permissions and i cant find it. vb isnt very user-friendly when it comes to giving options so it might be that we can only let people edit all thread titles in a particular section or none (that's what happened with infraction reversal, we couldn't let mods only reverse their own infractions, we could only let them reverse all infractions or no infractions). and im sure you guys can see why we wouldnt want to let every member edit every thread title.

now if someone who knows more about vb can tell me how to find the option i'll look at it but i cant even find where you give title-editting abilities.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Ellie, it would be in Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options -> Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title. Putting a value of 0 makes so we can never edit our thread titles, but if you put in a large number like 999,999 it would basically be unlimited since I doubt people would see the need to edit their thread title after that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    (that's what happened with infraction reversal, we couldn't let mods only reverse their own infractions, we could only let them reverse all infractions or no infractions)
    Is that such a bad thing, then? If a mod sees an infraction made by another mod, but sees that this was injust (and has proof for that, obviously), why shouldn't he/she be allowed to undo this infraction? Or is that truly something they should bother the admins with?

Besides, if they were to abuse the infraction-reversal system to make sure their friends wouldn't get banned, they'd just get themselves banned or at least demoted again. It's a quick way to find out who you can really trust. Not that I'm wary of your mod-picking capabilities, on the contrary, but this would actually help out.

Would an idea for the avatars count as "Avatar Requests?" I'm not specifically asking for an avatar to be uploaded, but an idea for them in general.

If you're going to say anything about custom avatars, forget about them.

Otherwise, go ahead and post.

(Yeah, I've pretty much declared myself a semi-mod of this topic.)

don't pretend you know how the staff works. you don't. infraction reversal is so rarely needed (and every single infraction ive reversed has been an accidental one, ive never had to reverse one because someone was abusing their powers), it's not necessary for everyone to have it anyway. and someone of the same rank should never be allowed to overturn what someone else of the same rank did, that's why we have a staff ladder. only someone higher than the staff member in question can overturn what he/she did. if a regular mod sees a problem with something that another regular mod did he/she can always ask a smod/admin about it and then they will take it from there.

and there are no "semi-mods" of this topic. the only official word about whether something is plausible or not comes from the staff (and even then it's not guaranteed because most stuff has to go through joe lol)

you can suggest avatars but that's no guarantee it'll happen. and don't suggest something that has been suggested 200 times like hgss sugimori art or "more dp anime avatars" or something.

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

don't pretend you know how the staff works. you don't. infraction reversal is so rarely needed (and every single infraction ive reversed has been an accidental one, ive never had to reverse one because someone was abusing their powers), it's not necessary for everyone to have it anyway. and someone of the same rank should never be allowed to overturn what someone else of the same rank did, that's why we have a staff ladder. only someone higher than the staff member in question can overturn what he/she did. if a regular mod sees a problem with something that another regular mod did he/she can always ask a smod/admin about it and then they will take it from there.

and there are no "semi-mods" of this topic. the only official word about whether something is plausible or not comes from the staff (and even then it's not guaranteed because most stuff has to go through joe lol)

you can suggest avatars but that's no guarantee it'll happen. and don't suggest something that has been suggested 200 times like hgss sugimori art or "more dp anime avatars" or something.

If you're going to say anything about custom avatars, forget about them.
    Why would I even suggest that? That would be incredibly moronic.

I was going to say that maybe we could have some sort of avatar-overhaul-like thing. Figure out which avatars are unused and don't need to be here, and which ones people want. I thought maybe a good amount of avatars could be submitted - one from each person, possibly? - and then voted on after x amount of time for submitting them. Winning amount could be added then. With some work I think it could work and make a good deal of people happy, since there would be a possibility their (Pokémon-related) avatar could get added, considering it's not fan art.
    Last edited by Walcott; 21st November 2010 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Granted, I don't know how the staff here works exactly, but I moderate other vBulletin boards and the system should be pretty much the same. Sure, it doesn't happen a lot, but when it happens, it's just a waste of time to wait several hours to get a higher up to undo the infraction, rather than just instantly undo it yourself. Oh well.

(The semi-mod thing was a joke btw, if you didn't get it, I said it because I try to answer people's questions, so you guys no longer need to.)

I suggest that there should be something in the FAQ or somewhere to list ways to spot a adbot. Or an announcement to tell people what to look out for. It would be helpful for members when they are reporting them since the only way they can tell as of right now is if they have a signature advertising something.

I also suggest adding the Legacy style of viewing posts like Bulbagarden has. Unless that is only available in a hack since this site doesn't use hacks.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Adbots are the ones that post spam threads saying "Buy x item!" or something like that. No one here (that I know of or have ever seen) advertises merchandise in their signature unless they are a complete and obvious adbot.

As for the other thing, Serebii would have to make all posts the Legacy postbit style, and it's not something members can choose on their own. And for those who don't know what this is, Legacy postbit is having posts displayed with the user info down the left column of the post instead of along the top. I personally think the way it is now is better.

Actually on some boards such as Toonzone (It doesn't specifically mention it as Legacy style there though) and PokéCommunity there is an option of whether or not you want to choose Standard or Legacy style which is why I was asking whether or not it was a hack. But the way you describe I guess that it actually is a hack though.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I think that we should add a Black and White version website skin. Like the Ruby and Sapphire, but with a very nice Monochrome theme with Reshiram and Zekrom.

Skins are an in progress thing. We can't really update or change them until we know for certain if the forum is or isn't going to be updated to the next version. When it been decided on, then skins will be looked at.

Legacy style sucks, because it makes your posts look longer.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Skins are an in progress thing. We can't really update or change them until we know for certain if the forum is or isn't going to be updated to the next version. When it been decided on, then skins will be looked at.
    If my opinion matters, I would suggest staying with this version if you can. I mod on a forum that uses version four, and a lot of us really disliked it at first. We like it now, but it's still a lot different and sometimes annoying to get used to.

Customizable profiles. It wouldn't really increase the lag we have now, it'd be the same really. And I want my Charcoal black profile.
    Seriously, you guys keep pushing it down to the second page. Not fun for us. Mind registering so we can reach our goal of 35 players? Seriously, come on. Register pl0x. It's in the games forum just for future refrence.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast