Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2010 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    If that is your outlook why bother bringing it up in the first place?
    In all fairness, I'll answer this question. But this will be it.

I really wanted to bring it to your attention and give you a chance to respond and post your thoughts on it. That's the short version.

I guess in a way, I was hoping that the admins of the board would take the matter a bit more seriously. Obviously, I was mistaken.

So the next time it happens, I won't be reporting it or mentioning it here. I've tried reporting these things and it went nowhere. And obviously, we've now seen what happens when we mention these things here. From this point forward, when it happens I'll be going directly to Joe. I just feel bad going to him, because of how busy he usually is. He does so much for this site that I hate bothering him with this stuff.
    Last edited by SBaby; 19th April 2010 at 11:20 PM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

good luck getting joe to pay attention to something so trivial as the post you mentioned. if a staff member was actually flaming people or trolling or something (which we have had in the past, but i doubt any of our current staff would do that), then you might have a case. but the post you linked to isn't a big deal at all and i really doubt even joe would do anything about it. you're better off saving your pm to joe for something that's actually an issue instead of getting your panties in a bunch over a post that isnt even a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by vipsoccermaster View Post
    I have a suggestion that involves the rank images. However, this would only apply to moderators and above. The suggestion is, they could have two ranks - the rank to show that they are part of the SPPF Staff, and the rank to show the rank they would have by post count. It could be implemented, and this was done at a forum I staff in, but if not, I understand.
    basically what chuboy said. yeah, we could have it, but why does it matter? if you really want to know the postcount of a staff member, we have it displayed off to the right in our posts like everyone else. and having 2 ranks would look a little cluttered in my opinion.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

i hope this is right place to post this.

in reguard to the anime character bio of ash ketchem. specifically his heracross. well its just that heracross is pretty much a popular pokemon, very strong and i believe in the over used catagory. so my suggestion is maybe change its picture in his bio. it shares its pic with noctowl, and there are so many better images that could have been used. for example, heracross sucking on bulbasuars bulb, as its meantioned in its bio; using megahorn, the ultimate bug move, in the johto league vs gary no less; or perhaps it just simply on a tree enjoying some sap.

thank you.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360

Soul Silver FC: 5328 3631 1592
    Diamond FC: 4382 8150 0519

It is NOT the right place to post this. Had you read the title of the thread, this would be apparent. Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread.

I'm just wondering how come there a spambots that come on this forum?(Those "things" that make threads & posts about various goods and whatnot) On other forums I've been on, it looks like they don't have that problem? Is it a hack of some sort that Serebii doesn't know about? Has it been going on for a long time?

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    I'm just wondering how come there a spambots that come on this forum?(Those "things" that make threads & posts about various goods and whatnot) On other forums I've been on, it looks like they don't have that problem? Is it a hack of some sort that Serebii doesn't know about? Has it been going on for a long time?
    busier forums tend to create more adbots. there are some hacks to prevent them, but serebii doesnt like using hacks. all of the precautions that are a part of vb have been turned on, however that doesn't seem to be enough. if you see adbots, just report them and move on.

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

I think it's an attack of sorts. Someone with a vendetta against us, maybe they were banned, maybe they just don't like me, I don't know, decided to sign us up to a list and the bots go through the list and spam the crap out of every site on it.

I have noticed other forums have been hit by them lately, though not as much as us

I think it's an attack of sorts. Someone with a vendetta against us, maybe they were banned, maybe they just don't like me, I don't know, decided to sign us up to a list and the bots go through the list and spam the crap out of every site on it.

I have noticed other forums have been hit by them lately, though not as much as us

Mods randomly close RP games just because they think its all about Spam. Then they say "make it an RP!" but really who wants to make a five line post about giving someone a drink? The mods should have atleast read through some of them instead of going lazy and calling it all Spam. I think the games should be brought back.
    Last edited by chihaya01; 2nd May 2010 at 6:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chihaya01 View Post
    Mods randomly close RP games just because they think its all about Spam. Then they say "make it an RP!" but really who wants to make a five line post about giving someone a drink? The mods should have atleast read through some of them instead of going lazy and calling it all Spam. I think the games should be brought back.
    We DID read through them. It took us 3 weeks to go through all of them and complete the process. How is that lazy? We also had a warning announcement prior to their closure. Guess you didn't see that, did you? Maybe you should pay more attention to what's going on before you make false accusations.

Brief example:
    http://serebiiforums.com/showthread....8#post11269968 (the whole last page tbh)

Is that enough examples for you? Honestly, I'd love to go on, but the lag prevents me from doing so. A pokemon smiley plus a few words is not an okay post. Games is a lax forum, but it is not a spam forum. Some of these aren't even complete sentences. Spam = Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages. Most of the messages were in all honesty stupid, there was no game so there was no point in them, making them annoying messages. That is how Dramatic Melody and I decided they were spam.

5 lines is really that much to ask? And you called us lazy...okay then.

Also, the rest of the staff agrees that these "games" (that aren't even games in the first place, because there were no actual games being played in the threads, just sole RPing that would be infracted if it were in the RPG forum) should not be allowed. You'll have to learn to deal with it.

Role Playing Games. Role. Putting down a smilie and writing "have a drink" next to it is not playing a role. Had you looked around the RPG Forum before hand you would see that posts are not made up of single actions, but a series of actions and interactions between one or more characters. THAT means you have to write more than 3 words. You have to explain what drink it is, where the drink has come from, why you are giving the drink, who is taking the drink, maybe what happens to the drink after it has been given. In a n RPG you are writing a story from multiple perspectives, not making idle conversation as you would in a chat room.

If it were a GAME you were playing, with rules an objective and a goal, then it would be allowed. As it stands, all the closed topics were, was a bunch of people posting one or two words next to a picture, hitting refresh while someone else did the same and repeating it for hours on end. That's chatting. And that's SPAM.

If you want to take part in an RPG, then there are plenty of RPGs that range from beginner to advanced available in the RPG Forum, and nothing stopping you from creating your own. All we ask is that you follow the rules. RPGs are done in written form, which means that you have to write a lot. If you do not want to do this, then MSN Messenger is available for free download from the Microsoft homepage. You can conduct your conversations through that as man other people have done in the past.

Sorry, Lag kept me from coming here xP

I know there are alotta fun RPG games, but there always has to be a plot in RPG games in the RP section where in the game ones there were brakes where we could stop awhile, make a wroking personality for your pokemon, then do the next plot. And here is a game that didn't have that much spam in it

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=431663

Sorry, Lag kept me from coming here xP

I know there are alotta fun RPG games, but there always has to be a plot in RPG games in the RP section where in the game ones there were brakes where we could stop awhile, make a wroking personality for your pokemon, then do the next plot. And here is a game that didn't have that much spam in it

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=431663
    If there's no plot then there's no goal. If there's no reason for your characters to be doing anything then they are just standing around chatting, which is exactly the reason why the topics were closed in the first place. They're not RPGs, they're just endless conversations based around someone posting, they sit and refresh until someone else replies, and then they post again and continue. Even the link your provided does that. There's no need for that.

Its not like were really talking in person talking about beating an Xbox game or getting a puppy, its made up to fit the character personality.

They're still just conversations. Nobody moves around and does things. It's just talking. It's basically a line of a script over several posts. Which is how a chat room works. This type of RPGing isn't allowed here, and I bet it's not allowed on the majority of decent RPG Forums.

Well im not calling it an RPG im calling it a game. Just a game. And when you hang out with friends don't you have times where you just stand there, chat, then get back to what you were doing? And I don't think we can walk arround without afew posts, there is rules in most games where you can't bunny characters arround,unless if the person will be gone and gives the character to someone else to control.

Well im not calling it an RPG im calling it a game. Just a game. And when you hang out with friends don't you have times where you just stand there, chat, then get back to what you were doing? And I don't think we can walk arround without afew posts, there is rules in most games where you can't bunny characters arround,unless if the person will be gone and gives the character to someone else to control.
    You calling it a game doesn't make it a game. And when I'm chatting with my friends I'm not pretending I am another creature living in a fantasy world where the laws of physics can be bent. I'm also not writing down what I am doing, I am just doing it. Likewise I do not sit unmoving and un-reactive to anything, just speaking like I am auditioning for a school play. And you can't complaining to me about bunnying not being allowed. In the RPG it IS allowed to some degree, but you don't want to take part in RPGs there because there are 'too many' rules for you to follow. Have you actually tried taking part in an RPG here, or did you just give up on the first go?

Now if you want to continue arguing this point, feel free to do it in PM, but don't expect any more responses. The decision has been made, and was not made over night. Chelc has already explained that it took 3 weeks to look through all the threads, and it was discussed by all mods involved before anything went ahead. You are not stopped from having RPG esque threads in the Games section, but they need to have an actual aspect of a game within them, and not just back and forth chater. Likewise you can make an RPG, but it mus follow the rules. 100 words for a post is not much when many RPGers average 500 or more when they're not even trying.

Oh, and for your information, " who really who wants to make a five line post about giving someone a drink". I want to.

"Do you want a drink?" he asked, leaning aside so the wide array of bottles behind could be seen more clearly. RaZoR LeAf drummed his fingers against the wooden bar, considering the variety that lay just out of reach. The vibrant blue liquor in the bottle label with an old ship looked horribly unappetising, but with a name like 'Lambert's Lagoon' what could go wrong?

"Sure, one of those please."

I have been in like three RPG's and I left them because everyone isn't born learning english.

And three weeks would only be enough for like 3 100+ page games. *I tried...but there wasn't that much spam posts then...*

You know what would be GREAT? If Serebii.net made a version of itself that allowed comments on the front page. Of course, there would be a warning that said "Don't look at the comments if you don't want to see spoilers." That sort of thing.

But I highly advocate being able to put comments on the front page for each post Mr. Serebii makes. Seriously. It's time, guys. IF you can't do it with your amount of bandwidth, then hhhhow about switching to another provider?

First this is the wrong thread.

Second, for the main site, we have one of the highest spec servers money can buy and the last couple have months have been pushing that to the edge a bit. We need to keep the site static so it isn't feasible to do that

First this is the wrong thread.

Second, for the main site, we have one of the highest spec servers money can buy and the last couple have months have been pushing that to the edge a bit. We need to keep the site static so it isn't feasible to do that

Quote Originally Posted by kaijusasuke View Post
    You know what would be GREAT? If Serebii.net made a version of itself that allowed comments on the front page. Of course, there would be a warning that said "Don't look at the comments if you don't want to see spoilers." That sort of thing.

But I highly advocate being able to put comments on the front page for each post Mr. Serebii makes. Seriously. It's time, guys. IF you can't do it with your amount of bandwidth, then hhhhow about switching to another provider?
    You CAN comment on the updates. Here:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191

New avatars to include the Grand Festival in Sinnoh would be nice.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

What about a list of all the members, in order from high to low post count?

It'd be a nice thing, but probably isn't worth the time.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Quote Originally Posted by KingMinun View Post
    New avatars to include the Grand Festival in Sinnoh would be nice.
    we probably will when new avatars get uploaded next

Quote Originally Posted by foxyman1167 View Post
    What about a list of all the members, in order from high to low post count?

It'd be a nice thing, but probably isn't worth the time.
    community -> members list -> search -> advanced search -> options -> order results by -> post count -> in descending order

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast