Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2010 Edition

New suggestion: captchas during the registration process. It keeps the spambots away.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

Quote Originally Posted by KingMinun View Post
    Do you allow others to make the avatars and submit them to the mods so they can be added to the forums? Because if so, I'd be more than happy to help you with some show avatars.
    No we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by natie View Post
    New suggestion: captchas during the registration process. It keeps the spambots away.
    Re-Captcha is used in the registration process.

It is? Okay then, excuse my ignorance. That means they aren't spambots but real people... Or just smart spambots that can read the captchas. Anyhow, I'll report them if I see any more of them.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

As a new user to Serebii, i figured i would post this probably dead-horse suggestion.

My suggestion for the forum is to archive or remove all posts dated Pre-2009 that are highly un-used. Doing this can drastically reduce your servers Load time and make it faster for everyone.

The easiest way to implement a change like this is to mass-delete an entire thread that is dated Pre-2009. (Just an example date is flexible)

If you doubt the performance increase this might bring to the serebii forums, think of it like this.
    Every time your users perform a search, it must search all of these thousands of dated topics.
    Every time your users open said threads, the server must access this stored data, slowing the access of more accessed data for others.
    Every time your users necro post, this thread is loaded for every user who opens a page with any context to it.
    And most importantly, it reduces the over-all data content of your site, leaving less to be processed in just about every application this will reduce loading times significantly.

Keep in mind this wont be ground breaking, it might reduce a page load as little as 1% but in most cases it will be closer to a 5% or even as high as 10% average. These numbers are speculation of course and the real gains are only measurable with sophisticated tracking software.

-Zerg

Well, the only true way to get this place up to speed is with a good server, although your suggestion isn't bad at all (but maybe only delete the topics that aren't supposed to be posted in anyways, and archive the ones that haven't got a reply since pre-2009).

Joeeeeeeeeeee!!

um...for your Event Database I noticed you can't search by OT. This is kinda annoying tbh. Can we have it like this maybe?:

(drop down menu of course. dur.)
    Eigakan
    TRU
    10 Aniv
    GameStop
    Miscellanious (Sp...:/)
    You (meaning the person whom obtains the pokemon)

just would help as I'm trying to get all 10 anivs and it'd be like a check list for me. Thanks for reading.
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2rctk6u.jpg[/IMG] <3!Lover of all that is Shaymin!<3

Thanks ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the Shaymin badges! I LUV 'EM! <3

Brock:
    April 29th, 1997 - September 9th, 2010 (Thanks for the memories! We'll miss you, buddy! T_T)

Quote Originally Posted by zergling2005 View Post
    My suggestion for the forum is to archive or remove all posts dated Pre-2009 that are highly un-used. Doing this can drastically reduce your servers Load time and make it faster for everyone.

The easiest way to implement a change like this is to mass-delete an entire thread that is dated Pre-2009. (Just an example date is flexible)

If you doubt the performance increase this might bring to the serebii forums, think of it like this.
    Every time your users perform a search, it must search all of these thousands of dated topics.
    Every time your users open said threads, the server must access this stored data, slowing the access of more accessed data for others.
    Every time your users necro post, this thread is loaded for every user who opens a page with any context to it.
    And most importantly, it reduces the over-all data content of your site, leaving less to be processed in just about every application this will reduce loading times significantly.
    I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. It might make a small difference for searching, but you could select any post from the millions here almost instantly.

Anyway Serebii already said it's the mods who cause the long page delays, when they need to do some admin stuff (deleting users or something, I forget).

for places iin the anime discussion, when new confirmed info is added to the anime spoilers thread can it be added to the first post so people don't discuss things over and over again and complain obnoxiously because they over looked one small detail, I think it will help improve the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by arceus7 View Post
    for places iin the anime discussion, when new confirmed info is added to the anime spoilers thread can it be added to the first post so people don't discuss things over and over again and complain obnoxiously because they over looked one small detail, I think it will help improve the forums.
    That's up to the person who made the thread. I'm not going to ask my mods to go around and needlessly edit other's posts

oh. well could you make an announcement to suggest that so more people are inclined to do that?

People aren't ever really inclined to do anything properly around here. And even if they were, the hordes of noobies who exist on the forums for just 24hrs before reproducing and dying would still clog up the boards with contraband posts and threads, just as they do now.

Ok i raised this point before but i never really pushed for it but smogon has broken the last straw, i wont serebii to conider making a competative battling tier system cause the smogon system has gotten rediculous. I believe that more people follow serebii anyway so would be more inclined to listen to this and its all round better if there where to seperate tiering system in the competative battling world so people have more of an option on what and how they want to battle. SALAMENCE IS NOT A ****ING UBER, please concider my request.

If you where to say yes, i believe that it should involve the community more in the decesion of what pokemon goes in what tier and wouldnt in not just generally not be cool to have ur own system?

^ Actually I can jump in here with a relevant thread: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=427831 aka 'A Possible Alternative to Smogon Tiers'. Basically a different system thought up and being tested out by people in the 4th gen discussion section, so if a different system interests you I suppose you'd be interested in that thread. =p It's not sppf wide by any means, but it is in testing stages and all.. *shrugs*

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Thank you, i will check it out.

Maybe I just am not using it correctly, but the newly tweaked IV calc on this site actually DEMANDS a value be plugged in for each stat before it computes any IVs. This is kind of annoying, as I usually just wanna check 1 or 2 IVs. The old IV calc didn't work like that, so why can't the updated one do that?

Also, I am confused about the multi pokemon check part, which was advertised on the updated version as well. How does that work exactly?
    Ryziken
    Platinum FC: 2192 3522 0675
    HeartGold FC (IV Battles): 3009 1886 2614

Quote Originally Posted by ryziken View Post
    Maybe I just am not using it correctly, but the newly tweaked IV calc on this site actually DEMANDS a value be plugged in for each stat before it computes any IVs. This is kind of annoying, as I usually just wanna check 1 or 2 IVs. The old IV calc didn't work like that, so why can't the updated one do that?

Also, I am confused about the multi pokemon check part, which was advertised on the updated version as well. How does that work exactly?
    It helps calculate the IV's, get over it. It's not any different from the EV Calculator.

And this is the Forum Suggestion thread, not the main site suggestion thread.

---------- join ever grande city, a fun and new pokemon forum!! // tumblr

I'll send that feedback to the coder

As for the multi Pokemon bit, click the button that currently says Single Pok&#233;mon and you'll get to multi. Here, you can add Pok&#233;mon by pressing the + in the row where you enter details. Then, when you calculate, all Pok&#233;mon will be calculated.

Anyway Serebii already said it's the mods who cause the long page delays, when they need to do some admin stuff (deleting users or something, I forget).
    You would be referring to IP checking. When done through the ModCP that does crash forums, true. Serebii doesn't really let us do that anymore more though, unless there's a damn good reason.

/me pops in

That's unfortunately impossible now. The characteristics and reverse Hidden Power demand that IVs are all calculated correctly.
    Here's the previous version though, you can save it and use it like you were used to.
    Webmaster of www.legendarypokemon.net
    Disable signature viewing today!

I think that the site would be greatly improved by adding videos espacialy when there alott of new on a new release.
    I've seen a 6 min long video on the upcomming game black and white but i would've liked it alot more if i saw it on serebii.net first since you guys can translate most of the stuff.
    And actually see some action instead of sreenshot usaly gets your more hyped for stufff like that.
    If videos arent possible then maybe links to some

FORUMS suggestion thread. NOT main site. check which thread you're in before posting.

and serebii has already said he won't do videos.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

If videos arent possible then maybe links to some
    Note that Joe also linked to a website which had the video in the update as well, so.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

How about a little thing on our posts that says what gender we are? I have seen them on several other forums. I'm getting very sick of being refered to as a "he".

Shiny Banner

Current Hunt: Thundurus ~ White ~ Soft Reset
    Most Recent Shiny: Unown I ~ HeartGold ~ Random Encounter ~ 4130 Encounters

Quote Originally Posted by Corroded Arceus View Post
    How about a little thing on our posts that says what gender we are? I have seen them on several other forums. I'm getting very sick of being refered to as a "he".
    It's pointless seeing as there's already an option for that in your profile.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Quote Originally Posted by §Suicune§ View Post
    It's pointless seeing as there's already an option for that in your profile.
    Most people don't visit a member's profile just to find out what they should refer to the user as, however.

I'm neither for nor against a gender tag. I remain impartial to it.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast