Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Theory: There is no new league rival in the DP opening

Default Theory: There is no new league rival in the DP opening

Meaning there is no new version of Richie, Harrisson or Tyson in the DP opening.

While you could argue there could be a new character who will show up at the start of the league, the fact that there doesn't seem to be one is interesting. More proof the finals will be Ash Vs. Paul with Ash winning the league?

As for Nando, I can see him winning the Grand Festival, but I'm confident Ash will beat him early on, possibly before Barry. No need to see Nando win two tournaments.

Every time I think about it, all the hints seem to suggest Ash will win the league. Thoughts?

What if your theory turns out wrong? What if, at the last minute, they decide to make, what I dub as an 'Insta-Rival', and throw him in? How would that make you feel?

I'd like Ash to win. Then again, I'd like a lot of things to happen.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

There isn't one in the intro because they want to surprise us. They're thinking "OK guys, what do the fans who watch Pokemon want MOST of all from the upcoming League?"

The answer, of course, is a generic League Rival introduced JUST before the tournament that will somehow steal the spotlight from Paul, Barry, Nando and Conway!

However they can't reveal it just yet. They want us to let our guards down. They want us to think they've changed by introducing four trainers that would eventually go on to face Ash in the League as opposed to Last Second Rival-son.

I won't rest though. I'll be waiting, and if he does appear, which he will I'll be ready to jump out and punch him in the face.

I definitely think there's going to be a League Rival but I don't think he (or maybe she?) will play as big a part in it as Richie, Harrison, and Tyson did. I think this league will focus more on the Ash vs Paul rivalry and maybe Ash vs the E4.
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/v6ut6r.png[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credit:

What if that rival is Barry this time around? Barry is generally more charismatic and kinder to his Pokemon, much like Ash's League Rivals. He was introduced earlier, but I don't think that means he cannot fill the spot that Harrison, Ritchie, and Tyson did.

They've never revealed those type of rivals in the ops(richie doesn't count because he isn't an x-son) So i think it still might or might not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ijea4444 View Post
    They've never revealed those type of rivals in the ops(richie doesn't count because he isn't an x-son) So i think it still might or might not happen.
    You are aware that this is in the Dub only. Ritchie, Harrison, and Tyson's Japanese names end differently. Unless you count Ritchie's Japanese name ending with I and Harrison's ending with I as well but Tyson's is with an A.
    - Claimed:

-XY, already better than Best Wishes.xD

Pokemon Y Team:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

3DS FC: 1993-7360-7585

Quote Originally Posted by KibaLG8 View Post
    You are aware that this is in the Dub only. Ritchie, Harrison, and Tyson's Japanese names end differently. Unless you count Ritchie's Japanese name ending with I and Harrison's ending with I as well but Tyson's is with an A.
    Yes I was aware of that, but the dubbers put a -son on each character for a reason, because they were essentially the same characters(again, except richie, because he was more of a clone than a rival), just different pokemon and character design. So it was just easier to refer to them as x-sons, because they are basically the same character.
    Last edited by ijea4444; 9th January 2010 at 4:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grei View Post
    What if that rival is Barry this time around? Barry is generally more charismatic and kinder to his Pokemon, much like Ash's League Rivals. He was introduced earlier, but I don't think that means he cannot fill the spot that Harrison, Ritchie, and Tyson did.
    Wow, I'd be shocked if Barry made it past Paul. Oh the irony if that happenedXD
    I could see Nando being the next Harrison type character actually. Ash defeats Paul, moves onto the finales and than battles Nando and looses. Than again if Nando beats Dawn, should he really beat both Dawn and Ash? A new rival character, hey if given the right personality and stuff, could be good. Than Ash would have twice as many rivals as Dawn for the league.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

*Predicts/Hopes this new Cyber thread joins the quagmire of recent "Closed Cyber threads."*

The new league rival is Kouhei. This is obvious. Why does the new rival need to premiere alongside the league?

Kouhei is already a cliche', stereotyped recurring character as it is, why would they need another?
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

The league rival will be none other than ritchie and once he declares victory all hell will break lose on serebii.

The World God Only knows

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    *Predicts/Hopes this new Cyber thread joins the quagmire of recent "Closed Cyber threads."*

The new league rival is Kouhei. This is obvious. Why does the new rival need to premiere alongside the league?

Kouhei is already a cliche', stereotyped recurring character as it is, why would they need another?
    I did make a New League Thread which discussing ANYTHING about the League but apparently the Smart aren't really that smart.
    - Claimed:

Pokemon Y Team:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Meaning there is no new version of Richie, Harrisson or Tyson in the DP opening.

While you could argue there could be a new character who will show up at the start of the league, the fact that there doesn't seem to be one is interesting. More proof the finals will be Ash Vs. Paul with Ash winning the league?

As for Nando, I can see him winning the Grand Festival, but I'm confident Ash will beat him early on, possibly before Barry. No need to see Nando win two tournaments.

Every time I think about it, all the hints seem to suggest Ash will win the league. Thoughts?
    No -son rival has ever appeared in opening before his actual appear in the series. So it should be the same. But as the new opening look permanent for long then he should have been shown as future updates are rather impossible now that whole of future teams have been showed.

Off Topic: You could have started this discussion in league thread.
    Chimchar sold more merchandise in DP than Piplup.

I'm actually more interested in the fact that ALL of Ash's pokemon seem to be with him at the very end, including the ones from the previous regions. He's used pokemon from prior regions in other League challenges, I think, but I've never seen them ALL in one place.

You know what shows usually do when they reintroduce all prior characters in a single place?

They end.

This may mean an ending for Mr. Ketchum. At least, I'm sort of hopeful that that's what it means. Don't get me wrong, Ash is an alright hero and all, but he's been the same exact character for, what, thirteen years now? He's had zero development in all the time he's been on the show, and whatever development he may gain disappears at the beginning of the next region he travels to. It's about time some new kid took over for Ash as the lead protagonist.

I could be wrong (and probably am), but hey, a man can dream, can't he?
    A New Beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by Japanese Giovanni
    We have the best illusion I have rocket frogs get lost in a dream ...
    Quote Originally Posted by buskalilly View Post
    Everyone knows eggs appear because Pokémon hold hands and kiss at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by zlxq3000 View Post
    I'm actually more interested in the fact that ALL of Ash's pokemon seem to be with him at the very end, including the ones from the previous regions. He's used pokemon from prior regions in other League challenges, I think, but I've never seen them ALL in one place.

You know what shows usually do when they reintroduce all prior characters in a single place?

They end.

This may mean an ending for Mr. Ketchum. At least, I'm sort of hopeful that that's what it means. Don't get me wrong, Ash is an alright hero and all, but he's been the same exact character for, what, thirteen years now? He's had zero development in all the time he's been on the show, and whatever development he may gain disappears at the beginning of the next region he travels to. It's about time some new kid took over for Ash as the lead protagonist.
    Not only is your idea silly, but not every single one of Ash's Pokemon are in that shot.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Morrison, Harrison, Tyson, and the new one will be Jackson.

He will have a Toxicroak as his main pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    It isn't necessary, it's just traditional for the League Rival to appear at the League or right before the League.

My opinion as to why there is no new League rival in the opening? Well, I think the one to defeat Ash is right there, hiding in plain sight! I still strongly believe that Nando will defeat Ash in the League.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Tails_Sliat View Post
    Morrison, Harrison, Tyson, and the new one will be Jackson.

He will have a Toxicroak as his main pokemon.
    Too bad there's already someone named Jackson from Johto who is also known as Vincent from the Legend of Thunder Special.
    Last edited by KibaLG8; 9th January 2010 at 7:40 AM. Reason: I meant Johto not Hoenn.
    - Claimed:

Pokemon Y Team:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post
    My opinion as to why there is no new League rival in the opening? Well, I think the one to defeat Ash is right there, hiding in plain sight! I still strongly believe that Nando will defeat Ash in the League.
    Why not Paul? I know nando is strong but isn't he starting out? Wouldn't that be bad writing? I mean a rookie defeating the sinnoh league. Don't get me wrong i get that nando seems to be gifted but he shouldn't win the league yet.

The World God Only knows

Quote Originally Posted by KibaLG8 View Post
    Too bad there's already someone named Jackson from Hoenn who is also known as Vincent from the Legend of Thunder Special.
    You act as if no one can't have the same names.

The new league rival should appear only in the league and than leave.(after he will win the league)
    Conway and Nando are there so I don't understand what's the problem.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

^From the looks of it people didn't know he was going to participate. Heck that threw me off.

The World God Only knows

I think that Ash will win the league & the next gen will have a new main character & will travel with Dawn^_^

If there aren't any League Rivals I can see Ash winning.

Nando and Conway definitely weren't presented as threats for Ash and neither was Barry to be completely honest. And then there's Paul who I can't see Ash losing to at the League regardless of how big of a threat he is.

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast