Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are your psuedo rivals supposed to be..Love interests?

Default Are your psuedo rivals supposed to be..Love interests?

I'm not saying this as a shipper, I don't ship any of the psuedo rivals with the protagonists.

But, they seem like they're supposed to be love-interests. They're defiantly not rivals. They aren't even trainers. They're your friends.

May when you play Brendan seems pretty worried about your safety, but that's more in a maternal-sister way.
    Brendan though...His "I just saw a huge green Pokémon flying across the sky!....I wish you were there, *name*" line seems pretty romantic. He's also constantly bugging you and helping you.

Dawn..I don't know about Dawn. I never played as Lucas for more then Gardenia's gym. But she's the same as Lucas except for her personality (she's bubbly and Lucas is more of a joker).
    Her "Sigh... To be with that special someone in a wonderful Villa like this... I think it's a nice dream to have." line can be taken as romantic though.

Lucas..Is the same as Dawn. Constantly helping you because you're his buddy and you both are helping Rowan. Calling you his friend and such.

Mars calls you and Dawn/Lucas a "lovey-dovey" couple in the english version.

I can't say anything about Kotone and Hibiki since I've never played that game and you can't find much on their interactions online. But they are childhood friends which is a common romance trope.

Anyway, does anyone else think GF is trying to make them seem like love interests?

Ummm no...
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/v6ut6r.png[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credit:

It's not much of a romantic game, because the game was intended for boys, until it got popular so they also include girls. It'd be cool to see those hints more often, or more obvious xD Seems like the game creators wanted to make every region's male and female counterpart to be in love :/

I've never thought of this before.

"I just saw a huge green Pokémon flying across the sky!....I wish you were there, *name*" line seems pretty romantic. He's also constantly bugging you and helping you.
    I think he was just excited about the Pokemon itself. Maybe he wanted to help your character add it to their PokeDex?

"Sigh... To be with that special someone in a wonderful Villa like this... I think it's a nice dream to have." line can be taken as romantic though.
    Maybe she was thinking about someone else?

Mars calls you and Dawn/Lucas a "lovey-dovey" couple in the english version.
    Only the English version? If so then I don't think it's a real hint.

its possible, but there not gonna go into it much because tht has nothing to do with the actual game
    Would pokemon be this big of a franchise if ash first poke was a magikarp with the same will to not evolve as pikachu? -cayr(on smogon)
    WiFiGuest7857> trading my monferno for anything please help i hate him

Gen IV record 175-63

fc: 0474-7058-9514
    ismyhomeboy

That's an interesting thought but there's no reason why they'd have to be so subtle about it. If they were supposed to be love interests, I don't see why they wouldn't just say that blatantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    That's an interesting thought but there's no reason why they'd have to be so subtle about it. If they were supposed to be love interests, I don't see why they wouldn't just say that blatantly.
    True.

Though it's a children's game anyway so why would that kind of "love" be included. The only love in these games is the love between a trainer and his/her Pokemon <3

Meh, i dont think so...
    Thanks Skiyomi for siggie~

I can see why people may think that GF are trying to make the protagonists seem like each other's love interests but i'm with The 4th KIRA. Although the examples you have given yeah, can come across as romantic... they can just as easily be seen as platonic. As for Mars, what she said is basically a childish dig at Lucas and Dawn; it's like five year olds in the playground teasing any boy and girl that hang around together.

So long, best friend; Bryony Sarah White: 28/6/87 - 29/6/13
    Ships I've NamedTwitter

Certainly not. They're what they're supposed to be - your friends. The tendency to see love and romance in every aspect of every relationship is an awful malady the world is suffering from these days. Darn lovestruck tween girls are overpopulating otherwise perfectly normal communties and filling our heads with cute and smexy and hawt and other such trifles.

Friends are friends. 'Nuff said.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

I heard that if you catch all 493 Pokemon, surf along the edge of Cinnibar Island, and then talk to Professor Oak, Lucas and Dawn totally do it.

They're your friends.

But since you're supposed to impose your personality on your character, if you wish to see them as 10 year old sweethearts, you may.
    MK Wii FC: 4125-3565-2043

98% of teenagers cannot perform basic math. If you're one of the 7% who can, copy and paste this into your sig.

I hack pokemon with my AR. Don't like it? Tough.

FFIII DS sucks, and MMX6 sucks even more, but MMX7 is just crap.

It is said that when it roars, a volcano erupts somewhere around the globe.

ENTEI embodies the passion of magma. This POKEMON is thought to have been born in the eruption of a volcano. It blasts fire that consumes all it touches.

ENTEI learns Roar at level 15.
    >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon-dana
    But seriously, I agree with BitchBlast's point from a few posts back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    I heard that if you catch all 493 Pokemon, surf along the edge of Cinnibar Island, and then talk to Professor Oak, Lucas and Dawn totally do it.
    LMFAO. nice.
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/v6ut6r.png[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credit:

But only if you talk to the guy who shows you how to catch pokemon, then catch a trainer's attention and fly away before he can make his way over to you first.

...Then Barry gets involved, as well.
    A New Beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by Japanese Giovanni
    We have the best illusion I have rocket frogs get lost in a dream ...
    Quote Originally Posted by buskalilly View Post
    Everyone knows eggs appear because Pokémon hold hands and kiss at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Certainly not. They're what they're supposed to be - your friends. The tendency to see love and romance in every aspect of every relationship is an awful malady the world is suffering from these days. Darn lovestruck tween girls are overpopulating otherwise perfectly normal communties and filling our heads with cute and smexy and hawt and other such trifles.

Friends are friends. 'Nuff said.
    This. I doubt GameFreak ever really considered putting romance in a set of games that target 10 year olds.

How much you want to bet someone who reads this will actually try this cheat?

And this all happens in front of an old man I suppose xD;?

I dunno. Now that you mention it, there is something fishy about all this friendship business. Whatever happened to the good `ol days where the rival was a jerk to you and kicked you around? Then it would've made the pairings more interesting.

But I digress. We'll just have to wait and see. They'll probably make another TV special about the rivals crushing on each other and all that, despite the fact that games =/= anime.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386 View Post
    How much you want to bet someone who reads this will actually try this cheat?
    It so totally works.

May seems to like Emerald player.
    Looking for a calm female forretress or a friend safari with Forretress in it. Message me if you can help out.

Of course she does

Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Poke Man View Post
    It so totally works.

May seems to like Emerald player.
    May also seems to be the second most flirtaceous of the girl characters. After Dawn.

May also seems to be the second most flirtaceous of the girl characters. After Dawn.
    She enjoyed pulling Ash away from Lucario when they were doing it in the stream.
    Looking for a calm female forretress or a friend safari with Forretress in it. Message me if you can help out.

That's no surprise, we all know dawns a *****

I never really thought about the pseudo-rivals that way...
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/n5inau.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i45.*******.com/n2iahl.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i48.*******.com/2iiy89w.jpg[/IMG]
    Illustration student from the UK
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

Quote Originally Posted by 11tjcoulombe View Post
    That's no surprise, we all know dawns a *****
    Now, don't go judging characters just because the artists decided to give them one-inch long skirts. :P It was only her choice in the anime to choose the skirt to wear, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Poke Man View Post
    She enjoyed pulling Ash away from Lucario when they were doing it in the stream.
    XD We all know where that little lover's spat was going in the 8th movie. May just wanted to save the decency for the kids.

Now, don't go judging characters just because the artists decided to give them one-inch long skirts. :P It was only her choice in the anime to choose the skirt to wear, after all.

XD We all know where that little lover's spat was going in the 8th movie. May just wanted to save the decency for the kids.
    She's just not into public displays of sex yet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast