Thread: Lessons in Pokémon

Threaded View

Default Lessons in Pokémon [PG-15]

This is a journey fic that I started work on months ago; wrote a Prologue and one chapter then gave up. I'm currently working on Chapter 3/4. Please comment and criticise, I really want some because if I don't get any I'll start to stop caring.

Contents
    Learning How to Win Over the Hearts and Minds of Others
    Learning How to Leave
    Learning How to Say Goodbye
    Learning How to Operate a Pay Phone

Prologue - Learning How to Win over the Hearts and Minds of Others

Sitting there, alone, in a cream coloured armchair was a 15 year old girl, Amelia. Amelia was a tall, brunette with long, straightened hair that came flowing down to her waist. She was wearing an official pokémon league t shirt, a silver waistcoat and a knee length peach skirt. Her legs were long, thin and crossed; her arms arranged similarly.

"Ah! Miss Ford, Would you mind coming this way?" A smiling plump woman in her mid 30's quipped from behind the armchair. Amelia obeyed and followed her into a large office, the entire office was organised; bliss for Amelia, this put her into a more relaxed attitude. Sitting behind a large mahogany desk in the exact centre of the room, surrounded by bookshelves and various pieces of electronic equipment was a man of medium build with a short mop of black hair resting atop his handsome face partially covered by a pair of black rimmed glasses.

"Hello, I'm Amadeus, you'll be applying for the mentorship with me," the man said while standing up to greet her, "Before we start, are there any questions for me beforehand?"

"Well, actually, there is one thing..." Amelia said tentatively before trailing off.

"Dont be shy," Amadeus replied.

"Well, I was just wondering whether there was any chance of getting a more famous mentor? I mean, I'm sure you're an excellent battler and all but what I really wanted was to be mentored by one of the people off of the adverts." As soon as the words left her mouth, she regretted saying them, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you!" she quickly added.

Amadeus just leaned back in his chair and looked at her, his gaze made her uneasy and she tried to avoid eye contact at all costs.

"I see, I can understand where you're coming from but I'm afraid they're all taken." He said, trying to act as if he wasn't offended, "I'm afraid you're pretty much stuck with me!" He added trying to pass it off as a joke.

"Well, okay, I guess. Could you please pretend I hadn't said anything from now on?"

"Consider it done. Now, let's get on with this interview!" he said quickly. "What would you say your favourite pokémon is, the one that you would most like to train?"

"Well, ever since I was a little girl, I've always wanted to have a Houndoom. I don't know what it is about them but they just seem to have a quality that I love. My father used to have one, Omega was his name, he was so kind and gentle but after father left mother, I haven't seen him. Hell, for all I know, he could be dead by now."

"I see, good choice and very full answer. That was a great start!" Amadeus remarked. "Anyway, moving on. What's your main aspiration in life?"

"My main aspiration? Well, I would have to say that that's to open up my own dark-themed gym!" Amelia replied with an air of excitement growing in her voice as she spoke.

"With most of the other candidates, it's to beat the Elite 4 but I like your answer better, it's slightly more original." Amadeus said, he was beginning to like this girl. "Do you own a pokémon? Don't worry, this is just in case we have to set you up with one."

"Well, yes but it's still in its egg but I've been told it will hatch soon!" Amadeus noticed a sparkle fly past her eyes at the mere mention of the egg.

"What pokémon's egg is it? Do you know?"

"It's a Houndour egg!" Amelia replied, barely suppressing her elation.

"I see, so you will have one in one month whenever the journey begins, yes?"

"Oh yes! It'll definitely have hatched by then!"
    Amelia was still trying to control her excitement but was failing miserably.

"I see, and finally, yes this is a very short interview, if you get this mentorship, to where shall you be dragging me and what would it mean to you?"

"Well, I really want to take my Houndour to the Johto region as after studying up on him I hear that's his native region, isn't it?"

"Yes, it was recently discovered, in fact just last September 12th, that they are native to the Johto region." Amadeus said matter-of-factly.

"Well, good, I want to journey there and if I get this oppurtunity, I'll be the happiest girl alive. I have always wanted to be a pokémon trainer and have always wanted my own gym, my mother's not a battler and I haven't seen my father since I was 6 so he didn't have time to teach me to battle. If I get this I know I could be a good trainer, I just need the proper guidance that this scheme can give me and I will be so much closer to getting my own gym than if I didn't get this oppurtunity." Amelia replied, she was serious again, you could tell that this meant a great deal to her.

"Was that answer rehearsed?" Amadeus questioned only half-seriously.

"No, I really meant it and it's the truth." Amelia replied quickly.

"Well, in that case, I think you could be my strongest candidate yet. I think you'll be hearing from me soon!" he said with a great big, beaming smile.

"Oh! That would make all my dreams come true!" She said, the air of excitement in full swing once again. Amelia smiled at him, turned and left the room.

Amadeus looked down at his notes and pressed a button on his intercomm system, "Kylie, could you please send in the next trainer?" he said into it. Taking his finger off the buzzer he said to himself, "Although, he'd better be good if he even stands a chance after her."
    Last edited by revolvingscott; 6th March 2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Title Change

^ My fic. Banner made by the beautiful and talented wolfgang.amadeus