Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: New Starter Types?

Humans are a creature of habit, and GameFreak are no less human than all of us.
    So that will be a no for the classic series, they will always stress the uses of Fire, Water, and Grass. For their other games such as Mystery Dungeon, you can get other types to begin with.

absolutly never
    [IMG]http://i28.*******.com/2hgad5k.jpg[/IMG]

I'm with you there! It's just something they won't change. It wouldn't be bad to add pretty random second type to the three. I really liked that they combined Fire with Flying (Charizard). How about Grass/Psychic (like Celebi ) or Fire/Ghost? I don't know...

I believe there are oly 2 other "legitimate" trios (I don't remember what they are, unfortunately). And G/W/F is a classic combo.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!
    Click HERE to be rickrolled... c'mon, you know you want to.
        Spoiler:- I HAVE DEFIED ALL MATHS AND LOGIC!:

I agree with a lot of people on this one. I want them to keep the Grass, Fire and Water combination of the starters. It's a tradition.

While I agree that they will likely stick with Grass/Fire/Water, I would like to point out other combos are not impossible.
    Poison/Grass/Ground works as well.
    Poison beats Grass
    Grass beats Ground
    Ground beats Poison
    Poison could be the type you take if you want to set the game to "hard" because it's ONLY good against Grass.
    Also, to the people who say Dark/Psychic/Fighting could never work because Psychic can't hit Dark, the first time you fight your rival, you almost never have a STAB move yet, just a Normal move and something like Growl or Leer. By the time it's an issue, you'll probably have caught other things.
    Sorry if any of this has been mentioned before.

I doubt they will change the types.They already have the abilities set[Overgrow,Blaze & Torrent] so I don't think they will change anything.That isn't entirely horrible...the starters can have any secondary type

Just A Quick Recap:
    Perfect Triangles: A beats B, while resisting B's STAB, weak to C while C resists it. Example, Grass is good against Water while resisting Water attacks. Fire resists Grass and is super effective against it. Fire and Water interact similarly.
    1) Grass/Water/Fire (always the case unless Game Freak has something else planned for future games).
    2) Poison/Grass/Ground
    3) Flying/Fighting/Rock
    4) Steel/Rock/Fire
    I can't think of any others off the top of my head.
    Triangles where weaknesses work, but resistances don't form a triangle
    1) Flying/Grass/Rock (Grass doesn't resist Rock)
    2) Steel/Ice/Ground (Ice doesn't resist Ground, Ground doesn't resist Steel)
    3) Fire/Ice/Ground (Ice still doesn't resist Ground, Ground doesn't resist Fire)
    4) Rock/Ice/Ground (Ice and Ground still don't work, Rock doesn't resist Ice)
    I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones mentioned most often.
    Imbalanced triangles (i.e, one has an immunity to one of the others)
    1) Dark/Psychic/Fighting (for some reason everyone's in love with this, even though it doesn't work due to Dark's Psychic immunity)
    2) Ground/Electric/Water (Lots of problems here too, from both immunity and resistance standpoints)

I think they'll probably stay with the Grass/Fire/Water starters, but this just recaps what other types are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ememew View Post
    While I agree that they will likely stick with Grass/Fire/Water, I would like to point out other combos are not impossible.
    Poison/Grass/Ground works as well.
    Poison beats Grass
    Grass beats Ground
    Ground beats Poison
    Poison could be the type you take if you want to set the game to "hard" because it's ONLY good against Grass.
    Also, to the people who say Dark/Psychic/Fighting could never work because Psychic can't hit Dark, the first time you fight your rival, you almost never have a STAB move yet, just a Normal move and something like Growl or Leer. By the time it's an issue, you'll probably have caught other things.
    Sorry if any of this has been mentioned before.
    The thing about battling your rival isn't really relevant because the triangle needs to be perfect like the Grass/Fire/Water one so that they implement it as a replacement. Unless Game Freak goes mad...

As we wind on down the road~

Just pointing out that there ARE other possibilities.
    I agree that they will more than likely stick with Grass, Fire, and Water (though they could change the order up, maybe make the Water family the first in the Dex, followed by the others), but I can't stand the main argument ("they won't do it because they haven't yet").
    Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't. Oh, and for the idea that they can't use Flying because there are no pure-flying types, the starters don't have to be single typed in their first forms. Bulbasaur is the only one SO FAR, but it may not be alone forever.
    Another point.
    Unless the starters end up with moves other than Normal attacks as their first moves, I doube we'll get any that are part Rock, Steel, or Ghost (at least until they evolve). Can you imagine the first rival battle if you picked, say, a grass type that caused your rival to get a Fire/Ghost? If they still only have normal moves and the game forces you into the rival battle before you have a chance to level up (like they did with the Kanto region rival), you wouldn't be able to hit it! So unless they change the first attack or allow you to level up first (with another move within a level up or two), they probably won't have any starters with a Normal-resistant/immune type in their base form. This would unfortunately rule out Flying/Fighting/Rock and Steel/Rock/Fire unless changes are made.

Its going to remain the usual Grass/Fire/Water trio, but I'd like to see this;

Grass/Steel -or- Grass/Rock
    Fire/Ghost -or- Fire/Psychic
    Water/Bug -or- Water/Poison
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

I would like to see this combo:

Water/Bug (A)
    Fire/Electric (B)
    Grass/Rock (C)

A would hit B with Water for SE an C with Bug for SE
    B would hit A with Electric for SE and C with... well, nothing. Fire for Neutral and Electric for 1/2
    C would hit A with Rock for SE and B with Rock also for SE

Yeah, it's not perfect, and Rock strikes 2 times, and B can't hit C for SE... But there are 3 intersting type combos, and they would be cool to watch
    fc: 3738 6697 3376
    name: pedro

no offense bro but that is kind of stupid question cause thats just changing one of the factors in the game
    for example the three pokemon have to be like a paper sizzor rock sort of thing
    it wont ruin the game it will just start to make pokemon real different if they start with changes like that , they might keep on changing things , and we wont have pokemon how we like it. i mean small changes to make the game better with out changing major bits like having a game with all the regions in it , it has a 24% chance of being done
    it just me against the world

I think they should keep the original starter types ! fire .. water .. grass cuz i got used to it !
    i don't like the idea of changing the types
    My Future Pokemon Black Team ..

I'm happy with the types for starters we have now. It's an all-out tradition.
    After a LONG hiatus, I'm finally coming back to Serebii. It has changed, but it smells like home. Or my pits.

They're not going too change the starter types why? Because the current triangle of types is the easiest to understand for somebody of pokemons target age group grass absorbs water water beats fire fire beats grass

Credit goes to

~.:Northern Lights:.~

For the badge

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueRabbit View Post
    ^ That can't happen. You can only sleep for 5 Turns. Also, there is no "Colosseum Leader" in the Battle Frontier.
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalPokeMasta View Post
    Does Lugia only learn Aeroblast in SoulSilver like it only did in the original Silver?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    They're not going too change the starter types why? Because the current triangle of types is the easiest to understand for somebody of pokemons target age group grass absorbs water water beats fire fire beats grass
    yeah I sort just said that , BUT YEAH YOUR RIGHT BRO

AND YOUR EXPLAINATION IS PROBERLY BETTER
    it just me against the world

I don't see them changing starter types anytime soon. :-/

Aside the triangle balance thingy, remember the time when we were all waiting for D/P to come out and speculating about starters and whatnot? I don't remember there being any MORE speculation and excitement over new types for starter than EVER before.

A huge number of people were 90% positive that the new types would be Dark/Psychic/Fighting but it all amounted to nothing.

Maybe in the future some stand-alone game would be released with different starter types, but I doubt it will be now. ;D
    I'm a GIRL, you fools! XD

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that was wat they were gonna do for gen 4 but they obviously scrapped it. I would have liked the new startrs to have been Dark/Psychic/Fighting. I would have seen another evolutionary line that are dogs. Kinda been overdone though with Houndour/doom and Poochy/Mightyenna, but none the less wold be good for a 3 stage evolution line. Or maybe just give the Grass/Fire/Water ones another unique type combination? I have yet to see a Fire/Rock combination, or Water/Ice starter, like a Polar Bear! I wonder how thy could do a Grass/Ghost combo...

I say Ice/Steel/Ground. It would give Ice a chance to be more prevalent, which I feel like it needs. I also love the Steel type, and Ground is awesome too. I feel like Freeze is something we don't see enough of, so really, I'm mostly leaning on Ice than the other two.
    Everyone's wishing for the next fire starter to not be Fire-Fighting, and I'm just sitting here hoping for an Electric-Dark type. Or an awesome Steel type.

Thread bumped - Shutting
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910