Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Marathon Rivalry! (628)

I would have been a lot more satisfied if ash won this but w/e. He won a lot of competitions and he did great for his 1st. Did Ash and Brock really say that they did this in Johto?! The writers are really on crack or something.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    They had to cut Draco Meteor out of the episode for more time with Spoink.

I'm going with either Yogi or Julius.

Also, for those getting ancy over the decision to give Brock and Ash prior knowledge over the Pokethlon, I say who cares. It's no biggie, lifes moves on, nothing is neither gained nor lost.

That's fine with me, because that Spoink scene was cute.

My guess for his dub name is Augustus.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

???

Quote Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
    That's fine with me, because that Spoink scene was cute.
    This. There needs to be more spoink bouncing cuteness in the anime. I DEMAND IT.

Also, i was half expecting Ash to send out Gible to do a Draco meteor to get Team Rocket, only to have it fail and land somewhere in the coliseum, that somewhere being on piplup of course. Finger-poke of death was a good substitute though.

Marry the Night

*shifty eyes*

Haha, I think someone's got a crush there. Makes the little nerdie a lot more likeable than he seemed to be.

Also love the Chinese Whispers effect in this thread. PK says Ash and Brock know about Pok&#233;thlon, but somewhere down the line, it turns into "they participated in them".

Yes, one would think that if they came across it in Johto, they'd also partake in it, but whatever. Since it was established that while it was the first Pok&#233;thlon ever in Sinnoh, those tournaments have been around for some time in Johto, the guy might have figured it would've been weird for Ash and Brock not to hear about them.

It really is nothing to blow up about. The writers have enough crap to deal with, what with certain companies popping out game after game containing new Pok&#233;mon that the writers had no way of knowing about years earlier, but still have to think of a way to incorporate them into the series as if they had always existed. Wouldn't blame them for feeling cheeky for once and adding this kind of information.
    Last edited by Sushi; 21st January 2010 at 10:12 PM.

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    Oh! You're right! He kinda does resemble Haga. Weird if they had the same VA in the US dub since Jimmy Zoppi voiced Weevil and he's still around today.
    If that does become the case, I'd watch this just to hear him. Also, Jimmy Zoppi is ridiculously diverse this time around isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    Also love the Chinese Whispers effect in this thread. PK says Ash and Brock know about Pokéthlon, but somewhere down the line, it turns into "they participated in them".
    Not sure how that happened... just as confused.

Yes, one would think that if they came across it in Johto, they'd also partake in it, but whatever. Since it was established that while it was the first Pokéthlon ever in Sinnoh, those tournaments have been around for some time in Johto, the guy might have figured it would've been weird for Ash and Brock not to hear about them.
    I'd never thought about it like that. That actually makes sense... to some extent.

C_L

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

I'm more troubled by Snorlax outrunning Pikachu. I think its sad when pro athletes use performance enhancers to win.
    FRIEND CODES
    3265-5772-9903
    Diamond Version ~NatDex 493 Owned COMPLETE~
    0174-3499-2232
    Silver Version ~NatDex 493 Owned COMPLETE~

Wishvee eggs giveaway. Check online status to ensure trade.
        Spoiler:- Trade Offerings:

Spoiler:- Trade Requests:

Trades re-open. Plz inc FC and Time Zone w/ request. I am EST Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Ludi-Cola View Post
    I'm more troubled by Snorlax outrunning Pikachu. I think its sad when pro athletes use performance enhancers to win.
    Seriously lol. Though I think Snorlax's speed was due to it's trainer putting it through rigorous training, not so much enhancers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    It really is nothing to blow up about. The writers have enough crap to deal with, what with certain companies popping out game after game containing new Pokémon that the writers had no way of knowing about years earlier, but still have to think of a way to incorporate them into the series as if they had always existed. Wouldn't blame them for feeling cheeky for once and adding this kind of information.
    That's extra true when you add in the "well, most of the kids watching now weren't even BORN(or just one or two years old) when the original Johto aired. They have no idea what actually went on back then, so they'll never know if we make stuff up!" effect. Especially since Japan doesn't do reruns and they're apparently very stingy about DVD(or blu-ray or whatever the newfangled kids these days are using) releases of old episodes.

-Today's setting:The Generic Forest of Woe. An old fan favorite!
    -But this time, there's a Giant Trampolene of Woe in it!
    -And today I learned that the Japanese word for trampolene is...trampolene. Who'da thunk it?
    -Pikachu and Piplup are thrilled to play on the giant trampolene that could be a trap from TR for all they know.
    -The danger is far more serious than TR - a Snorlax is going to jump on them and crush them to death! (several times, as it bounces up and down on the trampolene, making Pikachu and Piplup look less like Pokemon and more like ground beef each time Snorlax lands on time)
    -HIGH PITCHED BOY VOICE. ALERT, ALERT. INITIATING OFFENSIVE ACTION. LAUNCHING MISSILES IN 5, 4, 3...
    -Yuusha's hair will always look like a failed attempt at drawing half an apple(or apricorn, if you want to tie it in with HGSS mania) to me.
    -Doot doot doot boring intro stuff doot doot doot
    -If Yuuta mentions any more percentages while looking so incredibly nerdy, Thorton is going to sue him for copyright infringement.
    -Ahaha all of the Pokethlon stat catagories are actually given in English. I'm sure Japanese has words for things like speed, technique and stamina, guys!
    -Aaaaand there goes the retcon!
    -Snorlax is suddenly doing a lot worse. I blame those steroids that all the professional atheletes are doing nowadays.
    -Meowth:Totally not a Chinese stereotype.
    -I'll admit it:Watching Pikachu stretch a bit and crack its joints was cute.
    -Ash, surely by now you have some primal instinct telling you that "people forcibly taking Pikachu from you=Team Rocket"? Don't just stare blankly at "strange" people as they haul away with Pikachu in tow!
    -I'm looking forward to Ash doing inexplicably well despite having never even THOUGHT about a Pokethlon before.
    -Wait, the countdown is in (Japanese-accented) English too? What the hell? WHY IS POKETHLON SO ENGLISH.
    -Any competition that involves catapulting great numbers of Pokemon into the air is okay by me!
    -Apparently the Pokemon in the Pokethlon stadium are not bound by the laws of gravity.
    -What on earth is that Spoink doing?
    -How convenient. TR stole the trampolene event Pokemon from both Ash AND Yuuta.
    -I'm not sure why but I'm really liking the music in this episode. It's...ear-catching.
    -What a surprise, the Meowth Balloon can't lift snorlax.
    -Yanmega!
    -Staraptor? When Ash said to save Pikachu, he didn't mean "fly in circles around it"
    -That was the best use of the TR Generic Hand Thing Device EVER.
    -This seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a generic track event.
    -...gym battle music for the track event? Seriously?
    -Are the Pokemon supposed to be blind or something? Because I'm pretty sure they don't need their trainers to tell them to jump over PLAINLY VISIBLE BARRIERS, and those visor things clearly don't cover their eyes.
    -Watching a big fat Snorlax strain to run as fast as it can is hilarious.
    -And Snorlax wins through virtue of being fat.
    -I do like the nice touch of giving Yuuta a laurel wreath as a prize for winning what's basically a mini-Olympics(since those wreaths were used in ancient greece to...reward people who won the olympics!).
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

-Why did the COTD sounded like a woman? Honestly, it may be just me but he has a female voice or something, or he was truly a female? Im so lost :/
    -Haha the poke of death, it was fun.
    - Snorlax can jump like 100 meters up in the air with a trampoline, not to mention he runs in the event. I never thought a Snorlax would race against other pokemon, he is just too fat and slow, doesn't make much sense to me, even less it running at par with Pikachu * :/ Call it training, i say he is into steroids or something.
    -The Pokethlon was interesting in game, i didn't like how it was handled in the anime though, sort of "Wii meets Virtual Boy". Rather than the 3vs3 pokemon like in the games.
    -LoL photo finish.
    -I like the preview, and Oak getting hurt once more
    -Now seriously the ending with these women dancing is just terrible, the animated one was better. Probably it's my bad for sucking at Japanese stuff?, the same reason why i can't "appreciate" Muscle march.

*Talking about not making sense it is weird that Ash and Brock remember something they never saw before. Probably the writers want to make sense with something that has been in Johto for a long time? Seriously they really believe Johto was just like a dream, and no one can remember about it lol. Must add i liked they mentioned it.
    Last edited by NES; 22nd January 2010 at 9:32 AM.
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!

Quote Originally Posted by NES View Post
    -Why did the COTD sounded like a woman? Honestly, it may be just me but he has a female voice or something, or he was truly a female? Im so lost
    Yes, but it is probably a woman that dubbed him, although the japanese men have a different voice and they can dub even little boys. I guess that this time they chose a woman VA.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

it wasnt boring but it wasnt as good as i hoped...i mean i thought it would be a bit funny but that wasnt the case

I liked the "escaping at the speed of light" twist on the Rocket motto, especially considering how slowly that balloon was making its getaway.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, though the next episode preview kind of eclipsed it, but that's a topic for another thread.

I have seeen the pictures, and read Juputoru's description. Based on the epicness of Juputoru's description and the lameness of the pictures.. I'm guessing this was a pretty dulling episode.. where the little things are the most interesting...

Well of to a few episodes of epicness
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Okey... that ep was just... strange... From the beginning. Pikachu & CO jumping at a trampoline just out of nowhere. The best thing though was the poking device used by TR at Staraptor. Best Meowth scene in a long time! The Pokethlon was not so interesting but it was a filler so what the heck, forget that and remember the poking device and Staraptor KO.
    We say goodbye in the pouring rain
    And I break down as you walk away.
    Stay, stay.
    'Cause all my life I felt this way
    But I could never find the words to say
    Stay, stay.

~ Stay by Hurts

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    -Are the Pokemon supposed to be blind or something? Because I'm pretty sure they don't need their trainers to tell them to jump over PLAINLY VISIBLE BARRIERS, and those visor things clearly don't cover their eyes.
    I think...that the trainers were able to see the barriers before they came up, since, y'know, the sensors probably, well, sensed them. Kinda like a warning signal to jump, or something... At least, that's what I felt considering the timing of their movements and reactions.

About the episode: funniest highlight was the "DEATH BY HORRIFIC FINGER POKING OH NOES" bit. Heehee. Meowth... gosh, I loved his expression when he was initiating the poking.

...SPOINK. Now THAT was too cute for the human eye. I practically squealed... >w<

Other than that...well, the episode was pretty 'meh' for me... Yuta! Bad puppy! ...Satoshi isn't interested in you. >8(
    Last edited by Yuppirox; 26th January 2010 at 4:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokefan#493 View Post
    I think...that the trainers were able to see the barriers before they came up, since, y'know, the sensors probably, well, sensed them. Kinda like a warning signal to jump, or something... At least, that's what I felt considering the timing of their movements and reactions.
    That makes waaaaaay too much sense! (and is probably right.)

-Why did the COTD sounded like a woman? Honestly, it may be just me but he has a female voice or something, or he was truly a female? Im so lost
    Lots of times, young boys in anime will be voiced by females. This includes our dear Satoshi/Ash(in both the original and dub!). Granted, it's usually not this obvious, although I personally thought he sounded more like a high pitched nerd than a woman.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

This ep was indeed poor, the Pokethlon deserved better. Maybe they'll make another Pokethlon ep?

Someone asked why the trainers need the "headset" if the Pokemon can see the field and thus could just jump over the hurdles why the trainers would need to do anything. Well apparently the hurdles are in the ground but the camera on the Pokemon's head shows the hurdles to the trainer.

Edit: Never mind apparently I'm incapable of reading two-three posts before mine
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 5th February 2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

I liked the little moment where Ash could tell that Yuta's Snorlax was tired just by looking at it, while Yuta had no idea, and had to check Snorlax's vitals on his computer again to see it for himself. I like those little moments that show Ash's competence and how far he has come over the years.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

This episode was OK, I just wished they focused on the Pokethalon a little more and made it a big event.

i am a big fan of snorlax but that guy cheated to win the competition so ash could've won

Wasnt such a bad episode, but it felt awfully too short imo. But the events were pretty cool I guess. Didnt feel like much else happened that was exciting.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

The episode was actually slightly better than I thought. The events seemed pretty cool. This episode wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't the worst. The writers must like promoting HGSS because the poster near the beginning of the episode only had Johto Pokemon. One thing I thought was weird was that Ash & Brock knew about the Pokeathlon from their Johto Journey, yet they never truly did see one, from our knowledge. It could have been offscreen or something.
    7/10
        Spoiler:- My Pokémon Teams & Video Game Identities:

Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

i cudnt wake up, and missed the ep, when will it be on utube

Wild Snorlax (yeah I know it's not wild, but I love saying it) appeared in today's episode, and judging by his speed perfromance at the Pokeathlon, he must be jolly natured. I've been to those three events at the Pokeathlon in my SS game before, and I'm happy that they used one of my favorite events as the last event. I'm predicting people complaining about this episode telling kids that science is bad and feelings is good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast