Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 120

Thread: The MOTHER / EarthBound Series Club

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,663

    Default The MOTHER / EarthBound Series Club




    "No crying until the ending."
    "Strange, funny, and heartrending."

    The MOTHER/EarthBound series was created by Shigesato Itoi, and the first game, MOTHER/EarthBound Zero, was released on July 27, 1989, for Famicom, and then for Game Boy Advance on June 20, 2003, along with EarthBound. However, it never made it out of Japan. There was a translated prototype, but it never saw the light of day. Fortunately, the same group of fans that translated MOTHER 3 has also translated MOTHER, and with much better quality than the prototype.

    The next game, and probably the most iconic game of the trilogy due to being the only one to be released outside Japan, MOTHER 2: Gyiyg Strikes Back/EarthBound, was first released in Japan in 1994, and internationally in 1995, on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and the Game Boy Advance in Japan on June 20, 2003, along with MOTHER. It was released once again on the Wii U Virtual Console on March 20, 2013 in Japan, and July 18, 2013, internationally.

    The latest installment, MOTHER 3/EarthBound 2 was released on April 20, 2006 for the Game Boy Advance, but once again, only in Japan. This particular game took a long time due to problems in development, and was first intended to appear for Super Famicom as EarthBound 64, but was forced to shift through other consoles due to the first one's failure, and the fact that the developers were not particularly experienced with the model graphics, and was eventually cancelled. Fortunately, however, it was eventually revived as the Mother 3 that we know now. A small group of dedicated fans has translated the complete game into English, and this particular translation is surprisingly famous and of high quality.

    Although not official, a sequel is in making by Azure Studios, known as MOTHER 4. It is to be released in Winter 2014. Shigesato Itoi has shown approval for a fanmade game in an interview.

    The MOTHER/EarthBound series is considered a cult classic. The group of fans may not be as big as many other fandoms, but it is one nonetheless. In this club, we shall talk about the entire series in general. No matter whether you are an old fan of the series, or have just discovered it, everyone is welcome.





    - As usual, the general SPPf Rules apply here.
    - Do not post without filling out the form and signing up as a member. If you dislike the MOTHER/EarthBound series, do not join at all.
    - Be polite, and do not flame others. PK Fire is a dangerous move. This is not to say you cannot disagree with someone else; you are very well within the rights to do that, but you have to explain your points and reasons for this, and be polite while doing so.
    - All your posts must contribute, and be of appropriate quality. Aside from the general club and forums rules, we are not placing a hard and fast measure for this, but all your posts are required to be meaningful. Whenever replying to topics or otherwise, keep your posts at high quality, and try to keep the grammar intelligible.
    - Be active. Do not join just for the sake of it. Join to be a valuable member. If you are going on an extended leave, inform me. We shall keep track of who is active and who is not.
    - If you delete any of your posts for any reason, inform me. Since the original post keeps track of the number of posts of each member, it is important to know who deleted a post if the number of posts in the thread suddenly drops. It is difficult to check for each and every member until the correct one is found.





        Spoiler:- Strikes and Punishments:





        Spoiler:- Members:




        Spoiler:- Sign Up Form:





    Topics

    - Who is your favourite character?
    - What is your favourite MOTHER/EarthBound series game?
    - What is your favourite psychokinesis (Offensive PSI) move?
    - What is your favourite psionics (Support PSI) move?
    - What is your favourite move that does not require PSI?
    - What is your favourite item?
    - What is your favourite MOTHER/EarthBound series music piece?
    - Who is your favourite boss?
    - What do you think about the rolling HP and PP meters exclusive to EarthBound and MOTHER 3?
    - Do you think MOTHER or MOTHER 3 will be released on the Wii U Virtual Console?
    - What do you think of the Apple of Enlightenment?
    - MOTHER 4 discussion.
    - What do you think are the most difficult parts of a MOTHER / EarthBound series game?
    - MOTHER / EarthBound Series Music Contest Results
    - In your opinion, what happened after Lucas pulled the final Needle?
    - More to be added over time. Anyone is allowed to create topics.




        Spoiler:- Artwork:





        Spoiler:- Credits:

    Last edited by Mew The Gato; 16th November 2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Updating post data.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Hello fellow Mother/EarthBound fans! I will introduce myself. I'm Trickster Zorua, the second Staff Member of The Mother / Earthbound Series Club. Mew the Gato came up with the idea for recreating the Mother/Earthbound club. So he asked me to help out, and I did (try to do) so. That's how the this club is recreated! The original club got created by Lluc, and Mew the Gato got permission of him to make the new club!

    As a fellow member of the Club, I will fill in the Sign-up Form to pracitipate in this club, like the other (hopefully, coming) members!

    Username: Trickster Zorua
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: Earthbound (by Wii U Virtual Console since I'm European.)
    How you got introduced to the series: By Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Since last year I did some research on the series and I just LOVE the series! I was totally happy by the rerelease! Let's hope on Earthbound 2/Mother 3!
    Reason for joining: I like the Mother/Earthbound series since last year, so I joined this club. And because Mew the Gato asked me to help.


    FB Profile~|deviantART Profile~
    3DS FC: 4382 2023 3008
    Animal Crossing New Leaf Dream Code: 6400 2207 2907
    Banner made by Sworn Metalhead!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gaur Plain
    Posts
    611

    Default

    Username: Minedreigon
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: It was Earthbound for the Virtual Console, just like Trickster
    How you got introduced to the series: Chuggaconry.
    Reason for joining: The MOTHER series is my favourite game series. ever. I can't not join.



        Spoiler:- Credit + Claims:
    .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Congratulations Minedreigon, for being our first (non-staff) member! Hope you'll have fun within our club! ^^


    Let's start off with our first topic (I'll give my answer later):

    What's your favourite song of the Earthbound/Mother series?


    FB Profile~|deviantART Profile~
    3DS FC: 4382 2023 3008
    Animal Crossing New Leaf Dream Code: 6400 2207 2907
    Banner made by Sworn Metalhead!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gaur Plain
    Posts
    611

    Default




        Spoiler:- Credit + Claims:
    .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Italy, the Green Boot
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Hello there! As my nickname says, I'm Cresselia92. I've been interested in the MOTHER series since I've unlocked Ness in Super Smash Bros Melee and I've started making some researches about him and the series in general. Although I'm not very good with the games, I really like the general plot of all the games and the various characters.

    But let me do the write down the sign up form.

    Username: Cresselia92
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: MOTHER 3 (fan translation)
    How you got introduced to the series: Super Smash Bros Melee, as I already said
    Reason for joining: I really like this series, which is in my Top 10 Videogame List

    Now I'd like to respond to the questions suggested by the OP.

    - Who is your favourite character?

    Believe it or not, I really like Ninten. I especially like his protectiveness toward his mother and the fact that he's quite irritable, at times. I kinda like grumpy characters. I just wish he got some offensive PK, but 4th-D Slip and QuickUp are really unique.

    - What is your favourite MOTHER/Earthbound series game?

    While I like Ninten, Earthbound takes the throne as best game and MOTHER 3 is a very close second. I prefer Earthbound because it has a good balance between humor and drama.

    - What is your favourite psychokinesis (Offensive PSI) move?

    PK Rockin'/PSI Gaming. So flashy...

    - What is your favourite psionics (Support PSI) move?

    Lifeup. It saved my butt multiple times. But Refresh is good as well.

    - What is your favourite move that does not require PSI?

    Ah, I like Poo's mirror ability. Even if it almost always fail, for some reason I like to take the shape of some opponents for the lulz.

    - What is your favourite item?

    The Franklin Badge. Very useful against the Kraken and its Crashing Boom attacks.

    - What is your favourite MOTHER/Earthbound series music piece?

    Tough question. However, the song I hear the most is "Pokey's Pokey" (the one played when fighting the Pokey robots in MOTHER 3). Otherwise, "Natural Killer Cyborg" is another good piece.

    If I talk about the MOTHER and Earthbound themes, I like "Battle with a Dangerous Opponent" (possessed doll fight) and "Pokey Means Business".


    Now I'd like to suggest a question myself: "What is your favorite boss?"
    MY MAIN FANFICS


    Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

    Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dracula's Castle
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Username:NeohopeSTF
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: Earthbound on the Virtual Console
    How you got introduced to the series: Internet Reviews and Retrospectives on Earthbound
    Reason for joining: Earthbound is one of my favorite games

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    All of you have been accepted and added to the opening post.

    My turn to respond to the topics.

    Who is your favourite character?

    Probably Poo. I like how he is an unique character, and unlike the rest of the group in Earthbound, he has eastern influences, has different tastes, and has a specific set of items he can use. The fact that he learns PK Starstorm, my favourite offensive PSI move, and he has access to almost all kinds of PSI, like offensive PSI, Lifeup, Shield and Healing (With him being superior to even Ness in the latter two), along with decent stats all over, makes him my favourite character in the Mother series.

    What is your favourite MOTHER/Earthbound series game?

    Definitely not Mother, but that is probably because I do not know as much about it as the other two games. In my opinion, Mother 3's plot is the best among all three games, and it is more advanced than Earthbound as a game due to have been created much later. However, Earthbound probably still takes the cake due to being much less like traditional RPGs, and in my opinion, being more fun overall. The fact that Earthbound is quite non-linear (For example, you can definitely go to Threed and level up before you clear Lilliput Steps) adds to its charm.

    What is your favourite psychokinesis (Offensive PSI) move?

    As mentioned before, it is PK Starstorm. In all its appearances, its teachers has been "magical" (Ionia and the Star Master), and in my opinion, its animation is better than the rest, especially its depiction in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Unfortunately, it is kind of outclassed by PK Love.

    What is your favourite psionics (Support PSI) move?

    I am fond of Shield and PSI Shield due to them reducing the damage, thus making it possible for the primary healers to have more chances to go offensive (Especially since Ness and Lucas have the best physical Offense in their respective games). Refresh is also excellent, essentially rendering the team nigh-invulnerable due to the mechanics.

    What is your favourite move that does not require PSI?

    I love Poo's Mirror ability, too. It only makes him even more of an unique character. Although leaving Poo in his normal form is usually more useful, Mirror is definitely very interesting. Being exclusive to my favourite Mother series character makes it even better.

    What is your favourite item?

    The Bag of Dragonite. Being a very powerful item and extremely rare makes it automatically appeal to me, especially since it has been officially stated to be a pre-reference to Dragonite.

    What is your favourite MOTHER/Earthbound series music piece?

    Mother 3 is full of excellent music, with It's Over, Cumbersome Guys and Mind of a Thief to name a few, while Earthbound has the Twoson theme, Winters White, and especially Smiles and Tears, the latter of which is easily my favourite music piece in the entire series. I have noticed that music that may not sound good while just listening fit excellently during the actual game.
    Last edited by Mew The Gato; 8th July 2014 at 8:23 PM. Reason: I missed a word.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gaur Plain
    Posts
    611

    Default

    - Who is your favourite character?
    This is going to sound odd, but now that I think about it, Duster. Duster is not a man with PSI powers, a prince, a chosen boy or even an intelligent dog, just a handicapped thief. As we all know, Duster is taunt to be a thief by Wess. In Chapter 2 of Mother 3 he proves himself as a thief, but sadly loses his memory and becomes a member of the DCMC. He's then discovered by Lucas and joins the party. I really like Duster due to his back story and his thief techniques in battle, like the siren beetle and the hypno pendulum, and even the scary mask. It gives him a kind of supporting role as well as hitting fairly hard and having a lot of hit points. He's also fast, and can attack quickly at the start of the battle on rare occasions. I really like the chapter he's in, too. This all makes him my favourite character, second being Porky Minch.

    - What is your favourite MOTHER/Earthbound series game?
    Mother 3. "Strange, funny, and heart-rending" this quote is completley true. Not only does it have, in my opinion, the most advanced gameplay, but it also has the best storyline. Long and interesting, it never bores me. It's also extremely upsetting in some points of the game and has made me physically cry on multiple occasions, showing just how well written it truly is. It is also home to my favourite characters, enemies, music and locations. I'd put Earthbound 2nd for having a quirky and enjoyable story and fun characters, and Mother last, even though it is still fun, despite being old. It's quite challenging.

    - What is your favourite psychokinesis (Offensive PSI) move?
    PK Starstorm/PSI Starstorm. The attack is just so cool looking and is pretty powerful as well. Kumatora getting it just makes it even better. As already said, it also looks awesome when used in SSBB.

    - What is your favourite psionics (Support PSI) move?
    Refresh. It's really powerful, healing you before you attack (iirc) and that alone makes it my favourite.

    - What is your favourite move that does not require PSI?
    Flint's Power Smash. It just hits so hard, and is used by one of my favourite characters. It misses a lot though, but I like taking risks.

    - What is your favourite item?
    Either the Bag of Dragonite for referencing Dragonite, or the Shield Snatcher due to how useful it is and how it makes Boney really helpful in later fights.

    - What is your favourite MOTHER/Earthbound series music piece?
    It's just too hard to list one, check out my favourites list a few posts above. However, I was a total idiot and forgot to mention Natural Killer Cyborg and Master Porky's theme
    Last edited by Minedreigon; 10th July 2014 at 5:56 PM.



        Spoiler:- Credit + Claims:
    .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    145

    Default

    First I'll welcome the new members of our club! Welcome to the Fanclub of the game series where Youngtown, Onett and New Pork City exist!

    Second, the time has come for me to answer the topics of the club! Since, well, I haven't answered them yet! Kay-O? Here I BOING go!

    - Who is your favourite character?

    Pokey/Porky, (reason is in Spoiler due to spoilers)     Spoiler:- Why I like Pokey/Porky:


    - What is your favourite MOTHER/Earthbound series game?

    Earthbound, since it's the first and only MOTHER game I ever played yet due to Virtual Console of the Wii U! And I love the music, the quirky enemies and the plot of it! It's a beautiful masterpiece of Itoi!

    - What is your favourite psychokinesis (Offensive PSI) move?

    PK Rockin', since you can decide the name of it, and I love two of the three colours of it, Red and Blue!

    - What is your favourite psionics (Support PSI) move?

    PSI Lifeup for sure, it helped me many times in Earthbound!

    - What is your favourite move that does not require PSI?

    BASH! Because I like bashing enemies with a bat to save the world!

    - What is your favourite item?

    The Eraser Eraser, since it's just used once, and it has a funny name! Oh, and it's after it just useless. xD

    - What is your favourite MOTHER/Earthbound series music piece?

    Teddy's and Franky's Battle Music (New Age Retro Hippie Theme), because it's swinging, and it's based off an awesome vintage song I like!

    - What is your favourite MOTHER/Earthbound series Boss?

    It's Franky, since he's the first boss in Earthbound, and he's as far as I know he's the first human boss of Earthbound, and I like his music.
    Last edited by Trickster Zorua; 10th July 2014 at 8:50 PM.


    FB Profile~|deviantART Profile~
    3DS FC: 4382 2023 3008
    Animal Crossing New Leaf Dream Code: 6400 2207 2907
    Banner made by Sworn Metalhead!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trickster Zorua View Post
    The Eraser Eraser, since it's just used once, and it has a funny name! Oh, and it's after it just useless. xD
    In MOTHER 2, instead of it being an eraser statue... there is the statue of a metal doll with no limbs. (Which is called "kokeshi" in Japanese, while "eraser" is called "keshi". Therefore, the Eraser Eraser is "Kokeshi Keshi" in MOTHER 2. In the case of the pencil statues... MOTHER 2 has octopus statues instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    Now I'd like to suggest a question myself: "What is your favorite boss?"
    I do not really know much about MOTHER bosses, as I have mentioned before, but Giygas is probably my favourite one there. The battle with Giygas is one of the most iconic parts of the game, and the fact that he speaks during the battle, and has an ominous sprite to boot, makes it excellent.

    There are a lot of candidates in Earthbound. Giygas is definitely one of them again, like most bosses that do not involve depleting HP are. It is probably the only instance where you are going to see five digit damage, and the music actually gets quite good in the middle. Giygas is an interesting final boss, and not really hard enough to make the battle irritating. Ness' Nightmare is another candidate. With only Ness around, it can easily become somewhat challenging due to his limited PP at that time. If Ness does not have one of the pendants, the glorious light can even one shot him. Fortunately, it seems that Ness can do the same to Ness' Nightmare. Carbon/Diamond Dog is another of my favourites, especially since it is probably the toughest boss, and the final Sanctuary Guardian.

    As for MOTHER 3, the battle with the Masked Man in front of the Chupichupyoi Temple is probably my favourite. The Masked Man is an excellent opponent in general, but the fact that the entire team gets to contribute in this battle makes it better than the next instance, in my opinion. I think the final battle would have been better if it did not involve the Masked Man one-shotting the rest of the party and leaving only Lucas.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    145

    Default

    I know about the Japanese versions of those items, MTG! ^^

    I only hope they make great bosses in that fan project Mother 4! I actually hope on some refreshing Mother/Earthbound-like bosses, like maybe a Shrimp with two decent lobsters performing Water-based move, like an own PSI ability that involves flooding, like flooding the Team Members away, making them unable to battle for a turn or two!


    FB Profile~|deviantART Profile~
    3DS FC: 4382 2023 3008
    Animal Crossing New Leaf Dream Code: 6400 2207 2907
    Banner made by Sworn Metalhead!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Twinleaf Town
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Username: Shayminslicker
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: Earthbound
    How you got introduced to the series: Chuggaconroy
    Reason for joining: I've been into Earthbound a lot since i've been rooting for Ness and Lucas to come back in SSB4. So I said "why not join"?
    Shiny Count: 50

    Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

    Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shayminslicker View Post
    Username: Shayminslicker
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: Earthbound
    How you got introduced to the series: Chuggaconroy
    Reason for joining: I've been into Earthbound a lot since i've been rooting for Ness and Lucas to come back in SSB4. So I said "why not join"?
    Accepted. Adding you to the original post right away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trickster Zorua View Post
    I know about the Japanese versions of those items, MTG! ^^

    I only hope they make great bosses in that fan project Mother 4! I actually hope on some refreshing Mother/Earthbound-like bosses, like maybe a Shrimp with two decent lobsters performing Water-based move, like an own PSI ability that involves flooding, like flooding the Team Members away, making them unable to battle for a turn or two!
    I kind of like how the protagonists are able to obtain pretty much all of the PSI used by the enemies. It is fine if they have custom moves, but I really think the protagonists should be able to obtain all the PSI used throughout the game. As such, I would not like an enemy having access to PSI not available to the protagonists at any point.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Welcome Shayminslicker to join our club! ^^ Hope you'll stay here, smile in front of the camera and say "Fuzzy Pickles!"!

    I agree with you about that, MTG. But I would rather see for once an enemy/boss that has his own exclusive PSI, and maybe you can buy a PSI Scroll/manual thing to learn the PSI to every character having PSI capacity. This could be greatley implemented, also with extra upgrades to existing PSI abilities. Like making PSI Lifeup Alpha add 10% more HP restoring effect, or something like that.


    FB Profile~|deviantART Profile~
    3DS FC: 4382 2023 3008
    Animal Crossing New Leaf Dream Code: 6400 2207 2907
    Banner made by Sworn Metalhead!

  16. #16

    Default

    Username: scizor64
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: n/a (crazy I know, only been able to watch it being played)
    How you got introduced to the series: Chuggaconroy's Lets Play
    Reason for joining: About to re-watch Chugga's entire playthrough of the game. Saw the club while browsing and thought I'd join if that's ok.
    In Game Name: Sciz
    Y Version FC: 0275 - 8655 - 0603

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scizor64 View Post
    Username: scizor64
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: n/a (crazy I know, only been able to watch it being played)
    How you got introduced to the series: Chuggaconroy's Lets Play
    Reason for joining: About to re-watch Chugga's entire playthrough of the game. Saw the club while browsing and thought I'd join if that's ok.
    Accepted and added to the first post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trickster Zorua View Post
    I agree with you about that, MTG. But I would rather see for once an enemy/boss that has his own exclusive PSI, and maybe you can buy a PSI Scroll/manual thing to learn the PSI to every character having PSI capacity. This could be greatley implemented, also with extra upgrades to existing PSI abilities. Like making PSI Lifeup Alpha add 10% more HP restoring effect, or something like that.
    Enemies already have exclusive, non-PSI abilities. I see no reason to give it a PSI ability of its own. Giygas in Earthbound, for example, does not use any PSI. He does not even have any PP. However, the effects of his incomprehensible attacks are the same as PSI Thunder Beta, PSI Freeze Beta, and PSI Flash Omega, but without any PSI cost. Due to this, PSI Magnet is ineffective on Giygas after the "Ness Phase". He does not have PP to use.

    I disagree with scrolls or any "traditional" RPG items. The series is unique in that it has a modern setting, unlike most eastern RPGs. Adding things like "scrolls" or "potions" to facilitate PSI would beat the point.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Twinleaf Town
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trickster Zorua View Post
    Welcome Shayminslicker to join our club! ^^ Hope you'll stay here, smile in front of the camera and say "Fuzzy Pickles!"!

    I agree with you about that, MTG. But I would rather see for once an enemy/boss that has his own exclusive PSI, and maybe you can buy a PSI Scroll/manual thing to learn the PSI to every character having PSI capacity. This could be greatley implemented, also with extra upgrades to existing PSI abilities. Like making PSI Lifeup Alpha add 10% more HP restoring effect, or something like that.
    *Looks as the camera* "Fuzzy Pickles!"

    Alright now that that's done ill answer to a topic!

    - Who is your favourite character?

    That's going to be Jeff. I overall just like his nerd-like appearance. His face just says "Yea i'm a nerd and i'm proud of it!". Also I think he's the only character in the game to use the Bottle Rockets (I love these things! Makes it easier to destroy bosses).
    And plus he's the only character in the game without PSI. So there's a 3/4 chance that an enemy with Brainshock will hit Jeff and it will do nothing.

    Edit: Never mind not Brainshock. The thing I was thinking about was the attack that the mad duck could use to disable PSI.
    Last edited by Shayminslicker; 25th July 2014 at 5:42 AM.
    Shiny Count: 50

    Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

    Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Brainshock has nothing to do with having access to PSI. It is the inverse of Hypnosis resistance. At first, all protagonists have only a 1% resistance to Hypnosis (Which means Hypnosis works 99% percent of the time on them), and are immune to Brainshock. When they gain Hypnosis resistance, however, their Brainshock resistance is decreased. The same applies to enemies. Enemies immune to Hypnosis are generally vulnerable to Brainshock Note that the opposite of being vulnerable is being outright immune, not resistant.

    Immune: 0% chance of status being inflicted.
    Resistant: 10% chance of status being inflicted.
    Neutral: 50% of status being inflicted.
    Vulnerable: 99% chance of status being inflicted.
    Last edited by Mew The Gato; 25th July 2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Typos can change entire meanings.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lanayru Desert
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Username: GoggleWaddleDee
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: You mean the first one I played? That would be Mother 3.
    How you got introduced to the series: Chuggaaconroy.
    Reason for joining: I really like the series. I've played Mother 3 and really enjoyed it, and I plan on actually finishing Earthbound (I never completed it...).

    I have claimed Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles

        Spoiler:- Credit:


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoggleWaddleDee View Post
    Username: GoggleWaddleDee
    First MOTHER/Earthbound series game: You mean the first one I played? That would be Mother 3.
    How you got introduced to the series: Chuggaaconroy.
    Reason for joining: I really like the series. I've played Mother 3 and really enjoyed it, and I plan on actually finishing Earthbound (I never completed it...).
    Accepted, and added to the original post.

    I suggest you complete Earthbound. Like you, I was familiar with Mother 3 before Earthbound, and did not think much of the latter at that time. But once I learnt more about it, it quickly became my favourite in the series. Now, I am positive I know more about Earthbound than Mother 3.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lanayru Desert
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mew The Gato View Post
    Accepted, and added to the original post.

    I suggest you complete Earthbound. Like you, I was familiar with Mother 3 before Earthbound, and did not think much of the latter at that time. But once I learnt more about it, it quickly became my favourite in the series. Now, I am positive I know more about Earthbound than Mother 3.
    Thanks!

    Ok, I'll try to finish Earthbound.
    (Perfect time, since It's Summer Vacation.)

    I have claimed Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles

        Spoiler:- Credit:


  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lostlorn Forest
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Anyone who joined, congratiulations and welcome to the club!

    Goggle, I recommend you finishing Earthbound, I did it, and it felt awesome. I kinda used the whole time walkthroughs though. ._. But I'll try later to finish it, without any walkthrough!

    And Mew the Gato: I know, but still, it just feels a bit more advanced. And you have a point, about the potions and scrolls. If you would implement that in one Mother game, you better use coffee and manuals, as examples. To keep the game unique.


    FB Profile~|deviantART Profile~
    3DS FC: 4382 2023 3008
    Animal Crossing New Leaf Dream Code: 6400 2207 2907
    Banner made by Sworn Metalhead!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    What do you think about the rolling HP and PP meters exclusive to EarthBound and MOTHER 3?

    I find it interesting. It becomes an important part of strategy in long battles, especially against things like Ness' Nightmare. When opponents use immensely powerful attacks like PSI Starstorm Omega (The Final Starman can randomly use this without prior warning), the game would have been much harder if the time during the HP rolling meter could not be utilized.

    I also want the PP rolling meter to slow down somewhat in MOTHER 4; technically, it can still be used like the HP rolling meter, but it is usually too fast to utilize. Unless the scenario is something like a one-on-one battle where Ness uses PSI Rockin' Omega (98 PP cost), it shall almost never come into play.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Italy, the Green Boot
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Say fuzzy pickles, guys! I'm back after a long absence (due to homework and whatnot), but here I am again.

    I'll start by responding to this question that intrigued me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mew The Gato View Post
    What do you think about the rolling HP and PP meters exclusive to EarthBound and MOTHER 3?
    That's what defines the Earthbound and MOTHER 3 battle systems and what sets it apart from other classical RPGs (and MOTHER 1, which uses a system similar to other games), and I definitely like it. It gives time to do more damage, take some more hits and have some time to heal, as long as you're fast enough.

    I find it a bit useless for the PP though, since you can't spam PSI moves in such short time, but it's still a nice touch.

    Anyway, I'll bring something quite funny that I've found on the Internet. It's about a trick called Multitask Code. I won't go into details, since it isn't permitted, but some of the results are simply hilarious! XD

    These are some of the bits that I found interesting:

    The Price of Dehydration



    What is expensive? The warning or the dehydration?

    --

    Double Caramel, Double Effect?



    Double as tasty!

    --

    Caramel Prank



    Now that was rude, Lance/Ness!

    --

    Innovative Weapon



    My new favorite attack. Nothing is more lethal than tartar and a painful toothache.

    --

    Somebody use Healing on him!



    You seriously have some problems, Jeff...

    --

    And that's for now. If I'll find something else funny, I'll surely post it.
    MY MAIN FANFICS


    Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

    Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •