Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playing the Performance Encore (630)

This episode doesn't look bad from the pics.

Dawn finally got 5 ribbons though.

Finally Dawn wins her last ribbon. And she really deserves it. Mamo and Cyndaquil did awesome. Even when she was down and out, the two didn't give up. And she was really down. Ursula just kept beating her down with attack after attack. Really proud of Dawn for fighting through and coming out on top. Her strive to win really showed when she didn't allow a single attack from Plusle and Minun. She was like a surgeon out there.

Man. If this is how the two battle now, the Grand Festival is sure to be epic.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

This was eally awesome.

Jessie should have had a longer fight though what i really liked was that Jessie cheered for Dawn and rooted for her. Jessie's grown.

Dawn was great too. Flame Ice looked really cool. Swift Ice Take Down was really cool too.

Ursula was sparkly too. Many sparkles. I'm surprised her Plusle and Minun didn't know Nasty Plot and Grass Knot.

Random : PokéRadar

Quote Originally Posted by Tails_Sliat View Post
    Ursula was sparkly too. Many sparkles. I'm surprised her Plusle and Minun didn't know Nasty Plot and Grass Knot.
    I'm not as I saw the preview and the episode before. I hope they learn Nasty Plot by Grand Festival though.

As her strategy was to make everything go sparkly and dodging attacks, I believe Ursula was reading Twilight lately,
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, *******, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Misty fans = owned. The Togepi line is now no longer rare it seems.
    Dude, whatever you are holding on to, let it go!

This episode was awesome, it rocked my socks!

Jessie, Dawn, and Ursula all made this episode for what it was.

I originally thought it would be nice to see Ursula beat Dawn, however, what she did during the match, made me believe she got what she deserved.

Dawn almost made me cry. I just loved how she recovered, and realized the importance of the match, and her pokemon's trust in her.

The music when Dawn won, and the love she showed Mamoswine and Cyndaquil and that they showed her, really made this episode one of the best this saga's ever had.

I love Ursula's character, and Jessie's determination and confidence.

I love Dawn in general, she really has had a Cinderella story, and I hope she wins the Grand Festival, because she deserves it!

Question: Does anyone else think that this win cemented Dawn as a skilled Coordinator?

I mean, for her to come back like that was nothing short of amazing. She was almost down and out and it seemed almost impossible for her to win with Ursula taunting her as well. But she pulled herself together and pulled off a beautiful win. So much so that she didn't allow a single attack from her opponent in the final few seconds. Never in all of May's contests have I ever been so anxious for her to win. The entire time Dawn was going, I just wanted her to keep fighting on because she wanted to win so badly. The fact that she has been trying so hard and has finally succeed in getting her final ribbon puts her at the top of my list in terms of main girls.

I for one was really proud and think that Dawn will make it far in the Grand Festival.
    Last edited by deathseer; 5th February 2010 at 12:03 AM.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Mamoswine definitely shined the most. The scene with the ice shards sticking out of it was pretty amazing.

We all knew Mamoswine was going to become a powerhouse once Dawn was able to control it, so we're seeing it now. It makes me wonder what Mamoswine will do in the GF.

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    Question: Does anyone else think that this win cemented Dawn as a skilled Coordinator?

I mean, for her to come back like that was nothing short of amazing. She was almost down and out and it seemed almost impossible for her to win with Ursula taunting her as well. But she pulled herself together and pulled off a beautiful win. So much so that she didn't allow a single attack from her opponent in the final few seconds. Never in all of May's contests have I ever been so anxious for her to win. The entire time Dawn was going, I just wanted her to keep fighting on because she wanted to win so badly. The fact that she has been trying so hard and has finally succeed in getting her final ribbon puts her at the top of my list in terms of main girls.

I for one was really proud and think that Dawn will make it far in the Grand Festival.
    I totally agree with you. I didn't think Dawn was a superb coordinator, but this battle proved me wrong. The battle was flat-out awesome. From the Ice Shard, Swift, Take Down combo to Plusle and Minun's Helping Hand and Spark combos. The bond between Mamoswine, Cyndaquil, and Dawn was very touching to me when Dawn was losing herself. After she pulled herself together, she showed what being a coordinator is all about, from having Cyndaquil and Mamoswine attacking each other to break Encore, to perfecting the Flame-Ice combo, to her relentless assualt afterward...It was just awesome. 10/10

I like May, but this just cemented me liking Dawn overall better. She's had to struggle so much and she pulled off an amazing win.

Question though. What the heck is that brown dust looking stuff surrounding Mamoswine and Cyndaquil for a good portion of the fight?
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes, confirmed.

Provided she doesn't post while I'm watching this, I will have beaten Juputoru to the bullet-point-punch, thus cementing my greatness in forum hyphen history. You dare deny my greatness? Well, I dare deny your inferiority! Wait...that didn't come out quite right. Oh well, BACK TO ADVENTURE!

- Did I mention last week that Plusle and Minun scare the **** out of me? I'm sure I did, but in case I didn't, here goes - Plusle and Minun scare the **** out of me.
    - Seriously, they are the doggone happiest Pokemon no matter what they do, even if it's being cold-blooded murderous toward an opponent. Psychopaths.
    - They sparkle, just like vampires. Whaddya mean, "REAL VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE"? I take it you've been watching too many REAL vampire movies lately.
    - So according to that clock, Yanmega and Seviper took a full 20 seconds to fall to the ground. Must be the same logic applied to last week's floating ice balls.
    - No complaints about a newborn Cyndaquil winning? Is the fanbase finally maturing? AHAHAHA I'M KIDDING DOOFUSES.
    - Look, it's Piplup! Did I mention how much I LOVE Piplup? If you ask me, it should be the star of EVERY episode. Wait a sec...
    - So Encore finally get a long-overdue debut. Still not as lengthy as Substitute, however.
    - Come to think of it, contest rotation limitations make Encore pretty damn broken.
    - Bahaha Pikari. Maybe you should blame your mother for giving you such a pun-tastic name.
    - Pikari makes comeback blah blah blah. You know what I feel like talking about instead? Pet rocks. I owned a Pet Rock once. I named him Larry.
    - Ursula swears revenge at the Grande Festibol. So about Larry...
    Question though. What the heck is that brown dust looking stuff surrounding Mamoswine and Cyndaquil for a good portion of the fight?
    Encore. It's like pixie dust, but more Encore-ish.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

was a very good ep I liked dawns contest preformance

Maybe it's because I was already in a good mood, but that was a great episode. There was some fantastic battle music played throughout, too. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like the older pieces of background music are being re-touched a bit.

One of the potential problems with timed battles like these is cheap wins being slipped in at the final moment, but I think this episode did a good job of staying out of that territory. The battles were handled believably, and each coordinator was given time to perform well. Thanks to being a two-parter, the pacing was much better than we usually get for contests.

As for whether or not we'll see these two rivals make another appearance during the Grand Festival: Part of me wants to say no due to the fact that it would just mean more material to cram in, potentially leading to a poorer quality. This episode would have been a good way of wrapping up two rivals and making room for the rest down the road, but the way things ended on a positive note today makes me think they could show up after all.

So, yeah: Great battles, nice pacing, and excellent animation. If the next Gym is handled just as well, we'll be in for something great.

(Also, I liked Hikari's borrowing of Satoshi's line "getto da ze" at the end of the episode and Plusle and Minun's fusion dance. Little things like that are nice.)

I'm so glad it started out with Ursula versus Jessie so we could get on with the main battle sooner rather than later. I loved Plusle and Minun's Spark combo that turned them into shining versions of themselves!

Even better, their Helping Hand fireworks combo was so kawaii! Too bad Jessie lost but oh well, she'll get another chance. I was VERY surprised to see a Togetic, even if it on;y showed up for a few seconds.

About Ursula versus Dawn, I think it was very well done, glad Dawn overcame her fear of Plusle and Minun in time to pull herself and her Pokemon together. Truely a battle worthy of a ribbon. 9/10

Just saw it great episode. Watching this episode almost made me want a Plusle and Minun
    Check Out My Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/llcooljosh777

rate and comment

Such a great contest episode. I've always been a fan of Dawn but this episode shows how much she's grown throughout this saga as both a coordinator and as a person. She truly deserves this ribbon. I can't wait to see how great she'll do in the Grand Festival. Jessie and Ursula were unbelievable as well but Dawn truly shined the most. Her bond with Mamoswine and Cyndaquil is shown to be a lot stronger than most believed. This episode has assured Dawn a spot as a skilled coordinator

God I loved this episode. I'm defiantly going to watch this episode mulitple times lol.

The thing I loved most was that it showed how strong Jessie was. Haze+Sonic Boom and Sonic Boom+Poison Tail was incredible and IMO the same as if not better than Dawn/Ursala/Zoey/Kenny/etc standard. The only reason she lost is because Seviper/Yanmega are just weak pokemon. If Jessie can make her pokemon physicaly stronger(shes got the appeal down) she could be an enormous threat.

Provided she doesn't post while I'm watching this, I will have beaten Juputoru to the bullet-point-punch, thus cementing my greatness in forum hyphen history. You dare deny my greatness? Well, I dare deny your inferiority! Wait...that didn't come out quite right. Oh well, BACK TO ADVENTURE!
    CURSES! I will chase you to the ends of the earth to make you pay for this, S.Suikun! (The fee is $19.99, plus shipping and handling)

-The ep opens with...Jessie vs Ursula! Hell yes!
    -In Ursula's corner, there are Pichu Red Version and Pichu Blue Version. Jessie's using the infinitely cooler Yanmega and Seviper combo! Who will win? (probably not the person using the cool Pokemon)
    -Pichu Red and Pichu Blue counter Seviper's haze by cheating with some sparkly thing.
    -Stop using the goddamn plus/minus ability stop it stop it.
    -Jessie's actually being creative with her attacks and she's going to lose to goddamn Plus/Minus spam.
    -Seriously the rat twins are glowing yellow and blue and flying around like super saiyans what the hell
    -Jessie is understandably depressed at losing to someone who used zero creativity in their battle. And at losing to fucking PLUSLE AND MINUN.
    -I see the animators are being creative with their "show a bunch of battle stills so we can pretend that people other than Dawn and her rivals are in this contest" shot transitions this time.
    -Oh, THERE'S the goddamned Cyndaquil/Mamoswine combo Dawn spent so much time perfecting.
    -5 minutes into the episode, Dawn loses!
    -Okay, okay, she won against generic empty husk of a coordinator #1457 by a landslide.
    -Ursula has terrible taste in Pokemon(other than the Gabite), but at least she has a winning(read:interesting) personality!
    -Who needs to show Dawn and Ursula when they're talking to each other, when...YOU CAN JUST SHOW PIPLUP INSTEAD!
    -Hey look! Johanna's bothering to watch her daughter on TV!
    -Mamoswine eats the ice ball and......WHAT. It...suddenly has ice spikes for some reason.
    -Look guys, it's Tacky Out-Of-Place-CGI Swift!
    -...Dawn? There's such a thing as "trying too hard."
    -Ursula's a jerk! I STILL LOVE IT!
    -Dawn's Pokemon...are using the wrong moves?!
    -Oh, I bet they used Encore. I GET IT.
    -Aw look, Dawn and her Pokemon are sparkly and their hair's all frizzed up. (...shouldn't your moves actually HITTING YOUR OPPONENT get you some kind of penalty?)
    -Ursula is a Super Jerk!
    -The MOOOOOOs and HEEEEEEs of Dawn's Pokemon convince her to get over her crippling phobia in a manner of seconds! Or they made her realize that she can, you know, fix her hair after it gets messed up.
    -Dawn has...Cyndaquil attack Mamoswine? She's cracked! Cracked like a coconut!
    -She's LOSING POINTS FROM HER OWN STRATEGY
    -And now Mamoswine attacks Cyndaquil! MASS MAYHAM ON THE MAIN STAGE!
    -All that to get out of Encore?
    -I will SO GLAD to never have to hear that popping noise again.
    -I just love how arbitrary the point counters are. Don't you?
    -The "main character gets their ass kicked but turns EVERYTHING around in the final act" bit is cliche as hell, but I don't mind as long as I get to see Plusle and Minun suffer.
    -I am so expecting the timer to run out while everyone is dramatically waiting for Spark.
    -...the timer ran out as everyone was dramatically waiting for Spark!
    -Dawn wins, Ursula loses, nobody's really surprised.
    -Forget Dawn. I want to see Ursula VS Jessie become the main contest rivalry!
    -And to think some of you thought Dawn would lose but get into the GF with the ribbon her mom gave her(do the writers even REMEMBER that?).
    -Oak's lecture is on...the Unown! With clips all from ONE episode, obviously the only one they ever appeared in(the Solaceon ruins? What on earth are those??)
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Yusuf View Post
    I'm not as I saw the preview and the episode before. I hope they learn Nasty Plot by Grand Festival though.
    It sure fits with Ursula's personality.

As her strategy was to make everything go sparkly and dodging attacks, I believe Ursula was reading Twilight lately,
    A diabolically inclined character who's surprisingly "cold" and enjoys using shiny and sparkly attacks/moves. Vampire, anyone?

*Reads S.Suikun's bullet poins*

*Reads Juputoru's bullet points*

Sorry, but I gotta give the win to S.Suikun... at least in the beginning portion. Juputoru did have the more descriptive main part though. I'll you that.

C_L

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

Quote Originally Posted by ijea4444 View Post
    The thing I loved most was that it showed how strong Jessie was. Haze+Sonic Boom and Sonic Boom+Poison Tail was incredible and IMO the same as if not better than Dawn/Ursala/Zoey/Kenny/etc standard. The only reason she lost is because Seviper/Yanmega are just weak pokemon. If Jessie can make her pokemon physicaly stronger(shes got the appeal down) she could be an enormous threat.
    I noticed Jessie's (Candy Musalina's) combos but they just weren't spectacular like Dawn's or Ursula's combos. The first Sonic Boom and Haze combo was kind of dull, the Poison Tail and Sonic Boom combo was probably the most clever in my opinion. Using those attacks to turn a physical move into a special move was pretty cool.

What I liked the most about Jessie was the fact that she stayed to watch Dawn's performance against Ursula. I don't know who she rooted for though :S

Question, does Miss Mushashi call Dawn "Twerpette" while in costume? Because if she wants to keep her identity secret, it wouldn't be prudent to continue that hideously old trend that died before Charmander evolved, at least not in costume.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

The Grand Finale Arc begins with Chapter 109.

Ash will capture this thing.
    Mark my words

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    -I just love how arbitrary the point counters are. Don't you?
    -The "main character gets their ass kicked but turns EVERYTHING around in the final act" bit is cliche as hell, but I don't mind as long as I get to see Plusle and Minun suffer.
    Haha that's true, Mamoswine was h¡ted like 200 times and Dawn's counter reduced just a little bit...

Anyway it was a nice episode, it was enjoyable to have Ursula and Jessie battle, in fact i like it when we get to see other characters battle and not just Dawn's.

Dawn is now in the GF, but it sucks for Ursula, she deserves more than get beaten every time she shows up lol :/

What was the argument about at the end between Ursula and Jessie btw?
    Last edited by NES; 5th February 2010 at 7:25 AM.
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!

Quote Originally Posted by NES View Post
    What was the argument about at the end between Ursula and Jessie btw?
    I'm guessing something along the lines of "I'm getting my 5th ribbon before you are!" or "I'm battling Hikari in the GF!".

I think the point counters were only ever added to tie in to the games. They don't really serve any other purpose since you can get hit 100 times and still win the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    I'm thinking that if they want her to get in, she'll likely have a side contest during Ash's battle with Volkner, and then *gasp* a contest that centers around her trying to earn her fifth ribbon in the "last" contest before the GF after all it wasn't specified that this was the last contest now was it.
    That's actually quite likely when you consider that "Jessilina" is an important character to the group in some respects. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dawn and co. there cheering "Jessilina" on at some point.

I loved the battle of "Jessilina" and Ursula, but really wanted to slap Ursula when she won. "Jessilina" pulled off some amazing combos and, as people have said, she's really improved and just for that I hope she gets to the Grand Festival.

Dawn's opening combo was just stunning - Ice Shard, then Swift, then Take Down and then Cyndaquil shooting its flames off its back. Just thinking to way back when she had trouble combining just two moves and now she seems to do it with three or four so easily. The battle was amazing, loved how she beat Encore and finally perfected her Fire/Ice combo (beautiful btw) and then just pummelled Plusle and Minun, which worked even better for me with "Jessilina" watching - sweet revenge ^.^

The only thing that bothered me was the preview at the end and seeing Jessie and TR as villains again - for me, it just doesn't work anymore with Jessie more than the others constantly switching, what to me seems like constantly hopping between "good" and "bad". I think the writer's are getting to a point where they need to choose where she's going to focus really soon - Contests or TR, because I personally don't think it works anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    The only thing that bothered me was the preview at the end and seeing Jessie and TR as villains again - for me, it just doesn't work anymore with Jessie more than the others constantly switching, what to me seems like constantly hopping between "good" and "bad". I think the writer's are getting to a point where they need to choose where she's going to focus really soon - Contests or TR, because I personally don't think it works anymore.
    Well, if Ash and co. can save the woorld yet fail in some competitons I think writers can easily find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt_Latios View Post
    Sorry, but I gotta give the win to S.Suikun... at least in the beginning portion. Juputoru did have the more descriptive main part though. I'll you that.
    What you expected? They are veterans and I'm an amateur. I can't defeat them.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, *******, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Wonder what significance Dawn's Togekiss will have now?
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast