Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playing the Performance Encore (630)

Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    Wonder what significance Dawn's Togekiss will have now?
    It will give Dawn some coolness points, she will get a fully evolved Pokémon and help Pearlshippers to make speculations and fanfictions.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, Tumblr. PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

How in the world was her win cheap? ._.'

It's amazing to see how the show has evolved from its first season. Battles back then ended in one shot, either for the opponent or for the main characters. The combinations shown in this contest were just unbelievable. About the only things that irritated me were such:

1) While Dawn had her small breakdown, Ursula didn't capitalize on the opportunity. I suppose it should be forgiven, as few characters really know how to push their opponents.

2) Mamoswine is a ground-type. Why did Spark and Charge Beam hurt it?

Plusle and Minun are just too cheery :x

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    Some people think that the fact that her Pokemon were hit with Spark, Charge Beam, etc., about 20 times and her point counter barely changed was cheap. She was doing badly and then she turned the whole battle around in her favor on the last 3 minutes, making Ursula lose a lot of points with just a few moves as opposed to several like Ursula used.

Well when you put it that way, 20 hits to 3 or 5 seems like a lot of difference.
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    Don't listen to Dawn haters. They accuse Dawn of cheap victories when previous girls do the exact same thing only they KO the opponent in a giant DEM fashion. The battle wasn't cheap it was fair, don't listen to them.

Edit: I'm just now noticing the scene with Dawn and Ursula in the dressing room not saying a word to each other for awhile and Piplup just looks between them. Very strange yet funny position Piplup was in.
    Last edited by Platinum fan.; 7th February 2010 at 1:41 AM.

Almost every contest is like that. The main girl gets her butt kicked in the beginning then she makes a miracle come back in the end. It's been like this since Hoenn, the only difference is Dawn doesn't flat out KO her opponent nearing her victory. If this is a cheap win then every contest in existence performed by a main girl is cheap. Do you want Dawn to DEM KO her opponents with twice as much experience as her?

Yeah, this was simply a great battle. Minor point squabbles don't matter.

I actually consider this one of the top 5 contest battles of the series. I thought it was very impressive.

I just saw the episode again, and I'm actually really amazed of the animation in this episode. The animators really improved over time... On the episode, it's now my favorite Contest battle in Sinnoh, hands down. I loved how Ursula used Encore to her advantage. I'm impressed.

Can't wait to see how the Grand Festival plays out. =P

Okay, now that was pretty cool. Jessie gets to show her stuff; good thing she doesn't work that well against the twerps. Miss Princess Hair needs a good spanking, but we already knew that. And Ash is rubbing off on Dawn- taking bizarre risks to win and succeeding. Can't wait to see it.

Now if only I could find a version with the opening and closing credits...
    Walk a little further off the beaten path
    And we’ll drive on even if we get there last
    Our backs against the wall and we will lunge and bite
    And we’ll rage, rage, rage against the dying of the light
    Here And Now by Great Big Sea

My shinies-

Someone knows how many battles does Ursula has? I want to see her at GF with Jessie too!!! but i think the sinnoh contest are going to end soon? Am i right?

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros View Post
    Someone knows how many battles does Ursula has? I want to see her at GF with Jessie too!!! but i think the sinnoh contest are going to end soon? Am i right?
    Battles? She fought Dawn before and Dawn won, she fought Jessie and won, and several other trainers and won. She lost to Dawn again this time.

What do you mean by Contests ending? I'm not sure if they close after a certain amount of time before the GF starts.

The animation in this episode was great! But that's because it's a Contest episode, those always get privileges.

So they don't even tell Dawn where the Grand Festival is? Ok, what do they expect her to do?
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

I mean how many ribbons does she has? Sorry i had a short circuit in my mind LOL

With contest endings i mean if Ursula and Jessie could enter to GF, i don´t know if still remain contest to participate, i want to see this two girls there.
    Last edited by Aioros; 8th February 2010 at 8:08 PM.

Not sure who you mean, but Dawn now has five and Ursula has four.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

He is asking (i guess?) if both Ursula and Jessie can qualify to the GF. Which i believe they do.
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros View Post
    Well after this lost Ursula doesn't seems so sad. I guess there are more contests after but I don't sure. this contest might be the last as well.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

If it was the last one it would have been mentioned.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

If it was the last one it would have been mentioned.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Hmm, I think people don't know how contests work.

How does it make any sense that a Pokemon would use the same move over and over and over, and expect the points to lower, lower, and lower.

How is that appealing if a Pokemon uses swift for the whole match and somehow wins over someone who actually changed up their routine?

When Dawn got her act together she was doing something different every time. While Ursula just relied on Spark.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

After watching, Ursula relying on Spark got annoying, but a good episode none the less. Now I know the location of the Grand Festival has now been revealed, but I still can't believe they didn't tell Dawn.
    Last edited by HoennMaster; 12th February 2010 at 10:29 PM.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

After watch dp 163 we know that there are 7 contest even.

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    -Oak's lecture is on...the Unown! With clips all from ONE episode, obviously the only one they ever appeared in
    They were also in a Johto episode during the Larvitar arc.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Ok, first off, good episode.

Now, onto:

Ursula: Paul's a character I don't like but don't hate. He's not trying to destroy his opponents. He just doesn't care. Ursula, however, is just a complete jerk. So I'm glad to see her lose.

THAT being said, until Dawn pulled off Flame Ice at the last minute, I was convinced that Dawn was going to lose. And I'd be ****** because the entire time the writers gave her lucky break after lucky break. It was ridiculous.

Also, game mechanics. I've accepted that game mechanics aren't consistent from arc to arc, or even from one episode to the very next episode. But for Arceus' sake, if you're going to show how ENCORE works, then at least show that Mamowine, a ground type, is not going to get destroyed by Electric attacks. I could MAYBE handle Mamoswine taking a little damage, but it getting absolutely destroyed by Spark and Charge Beam, it's just a blatant show of favoritism. It didn't help that Gible's ground typing a few episodes earlier showed him being immune to Pikachu's Thunderbolt.

TLDR nerd rage: Be consistent with game mechanics for ONE EPISODE.

It seems like the writers love to have abilities and support moves help rivals, but the main characters have to get by on their own skill.

I seriously hope Ursula and that Johto girl can rot in horrible-anime-character-Hades and are never heard from again.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Fith Ribbon? She's got four.
    No need to worry!

I'm Dawn! a Pokemon Coordinator!

I like Pokémon Contests, I have 4 ribbons so far, but I'm still a rookie!

My Pokémon: Piplup, Buneary, Pachirisu, Mamoswine and baby cyndaquil

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast