++++++++++++++++++++++
    PM List
    sinnohdragon

Spoiler:- Extras::

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-=-

Prologue

rev⋅er⋅ie [rev-uh-ree]
    1. a state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing.
    2. a daydream.

A young woman sat slumped, head down, on a metal chair, in a metal room sealed with a metal door. There were no windows, and the walls were utterly bare. Her thoughts flitted around, a water bug on a pond, ever skirting the surface but never plumbing the depths. Her eyes, obscured by long coppery hair that nearly touched the floor, moved constantly, as if seeking Solace.

She could see him in her mind: that caring smile, those gentle eyes, that subtle strength in his stance and character. Standing a good foot above her, as she had been only a child at the time, he seemed like a pillar of protection and safety from all that had been wrong then.

Things are wrong now, she reminded herself dully. She scratched at one bare foot with the toes of the other, tugging at the dirty leg of the scrubs she’d been ‘assigned’ with a hand engulfed in the overlong sleeves of a straight jacket, rattling the loose buckles. It was thankfully unbuckled today, allowing her fairly free movement of her arms.

“Focus, 042, focus,” a metallic-sounding voice announced from a box mounted high in one corner, the only decoration breaking the clean, emotionless monotony of the room.

The young woman raised her head, hair falling back to reveal a gaunt, pale face, startlingly green eyes staring up at the mirrored surface of the wall in front of her, where she knew the speaker to be concealed. Those eyes sat deeper in her skull than they used to, more pronounced like every other feature on her face due to malnutrition.

She cleared her throat before attempting to speak, and upon failing, motioned that she needed a drink of water. A small buzz emitted from the wall to her left, an opening appeared in the wall, and a small pouch of liquid fell through before the opening disappeared. Bending laboriously over, the girl picked up the pouch, tore off a corner with her teeth, and greedily slurped down the contents. Clearing her throat once more, she spoke, a beautiful, melodious voice, but off somehow, like a perfectly made piano that is regrettably out of tune.

“I have nothing new to tell you,” she stated dejectedly, voice nearly devoid of any feeling or emotion.

“We know that isn’t true, 042. Think deeper. There are things you aren’t telling us.”

She closed her eyes, attempting to remember anything she hadn’t already told them. She had long since given up resisting their attempts to harvest her mind of memories; doing so only brought unnecessary pain. As she wandered the myriad pathways of her psyche, a sudden scene floated to the surface: an Alakazam, its wise eyes gazing unblinking into hers, and a voice, presumably the Pokémon’s, spoke inside her head. Don’t give them your spirit. Whatever happens to you in there, keep that. Keep hope. Tears welled up in her eyes, but she quickly wiped them away with the sleeve of her straight jacket, clearing her throat yet again before speaking.

“There… there was a courtyard. It was in ruins…”

“You’ve already told us this. Something new!” the metallic voice scolded.

“I… there isn’t… nothing left…” she argued pathetically.

“Yes, YES THERE—Sir, what…” came through the box, followed by a brief rustling.

“Fern, dear.” A new, gentler voice spoke, making the girl flinch at her own name.

“What…?” Fern replied quietly, a ghost of a whisper.

“He asked to see you. If we let you in, will you promise to try harder to remember more for us?”

Fern started trembling violently at hearing this, shaking her head and muttering under her breath: No, no don’t show me what you’ve done to him, no no, not there, nothing left please not there not to him pleasedontmakemelook. She drew her feet up onto the chair, hugging them to her chest, eyes squeezed shut, long red hair obscuring her face once again.

“Very well, another day then. Time to go back to your room, then,” the voice said soothingly.

A clicking across the room made Fern open her eyes in time to see the door swing open to admit a gray-clad man of about six feet, face obscured in a helmet with a perfectly mirrored visor.

“Come with me,” his voice echoed from the helmet’s microphone as he grabbed her shoulder, hoisting Fern to her feet. She complied, and walking along with him back to her cell, bare toes curling uncomfortably against the cold steel floors. As she reached her cell and settled onto the thin, lumpy mattress of her bed, that voice echoed in her head once more. Don’t give them your spirit. Whatever happens to you in there, keep that. Keep hope.
    Last edited by Dresden; 29th March 2010 at 8:23 AM.

:Friend Codes - X: 2981-7440-4003
    :Friend Safari - Water - Panpour/Quagsire/Frogadier
    :Shinies -

Ok you got the grammar right and that fancy stuff as far as I care.

That first sentence did bother me, you said "metal" three times in the same sentence, and that repetition bored me on the first line which will also trigger thoughts in reader's and reviewer's heads about expecting boredom. I think that's why no else commented yet. And when it came to the mood it wasn't anything direct, the "don't give up your soul" seemed to be the best out of it. Still, it askes how she could be in there.

Maybe you'll be writing about how she got there, and then beyond the prologue. You need something to make us know and understand her story. Otherwise it's paper flat.

Well you haven't written for years, so I think you can improve with work and more writing so good luck Dresden.
    As I adventured into math and ideas, that old desire for fan fiction came back.

This review took at least an hour to write, by the way.

Having metal three times was quite on purpose. It was emphasizing the severity of the place. And yes, obviously you'll find out how she got there once the story really starts.

Expect chapters to be longer after this. I just wanted to establish a little more of the story, hopefully get people interested. Hope somebody actually reads, and enjoys!

Chapter 01 – Up For Review
    re⋅view [ri-vyoo]
    1. the process of going over a subject again in study or recitation in order to fix it in the memory or summarize the facts.
    2. a viewing of the past; contemplation or consideration of past events, circumstances, or facts.

Doctor Baltar sat at his desk, toying with the remnants of his lunch as he stared at a list sitting on the desk’s smooth oaken surface. His gaze was far away, though, not really seeing the names and statistics printed on it, but focused on something only he could see. Things were not going the way they were supposed to. The girl should have broken by now, and by all appearances she had; except she had told them nothing new in weeks, no more details of the fateful day when nearly the whole world fell apart, and he knew there was more to tell. Baltar avoided looking out his window at this thought, not wanting to see the skeleton of a city – the city, Saffron City – that surrounded his building.

Burned and gutted out buildings spanned for miles, streets blocked with piles of rubble, cars, bicycles, everything laying abandoned. Here and there stood tall a building that, through some miracle, survived the ordeal intact, and these buildings alone showed lights in the windows – islands of sanctuary in a landscape of chaos. That girl, 042 Fern, knew something about what had caused this whole wretched mess, and she would tell them all of it. Finally, Baltar really looked at the list on his desk, poring over the names:

Special Cases up for Review
    Hughes, Katherine [‘Kate’] – Subject 008, aged 21, taken 2030, solitary
    Valeri, Holly – Subject 015, aged 17, taken 2032, twin
    Valeri, Riana – Subject 016, aged 17, taken 2032, twin
    Billing, Juliet – Subject 023, aged 24, taken 2030, solitary
    Dahrk, Fern – Subject 042, aged 17, taken 2030, complete solitary

Attached to this list was a hastily scrawled note. Baltar tore it off, recognizing Dr. Hutchens’ hand, and read it: “Be sure to review case 008, something there.” Baltar crumpled the note and threw it into the garbage.

“I know already, you damned fool!” he muttered around the cigarette held lightly between his lips.

The tip blazed bright orange for a moment as he took a drag, exhaling slowly, the smoke veiling the screen of his computer momentarily before clearing, like a morning fog giving way to the sun’s heat. He stared at the picture on the screen; a poor quality image, hardly enough to make out what it was, but Baltar knew. It was a photo taken on the day, that day, The Reckoning as some would have it called. Taken from an angle near the ground, it showed a tall, shining form standing atop a pile of rubble in one of the city’s streets. A fine sheen of dust could not disguise its pure white form, strong arms ending in large crab-like pincers, a pair of wings sprouting from the back, a pair of dead black eyes, like pure onyx, and a mouth open in a scream.

Baltar believed that finding that Pokémon was the key to this whole mystery, but despite the uniqueness of such a thing, nobody had seen it in the four years they’d been conducting their inquiry. Even knowing that it had belonged to 008 Katherine – Kate, as she insisted even now that they call her – helped them little.

The last rays of the setting sun illuminated the wisps of smoke rising from the doctor’s cigarette as he stared at the image, creeping lower and lower down the wall until finally, like a curtain setting on a show, they disappeared behind the city’s jagged skyline. Baltar closed his eyes, rubbing his palms vigorously against them and then back through his shoulder-length chestnut hair

-=-

A man sat in a dark room watching a TV screen. A title card reading “008 Katherine Hughes”, and then a cut to a room, simply furnished. A girl in her early twenties sat cross-legged on a steel bench, hands palm down on the blue pants of her scrubs. Her shoulders roses and fell evenly as she breathed, staring intently at her interviewer – a severe-looking middle-aged woman in a pristine suit.

“Tell us where you were on July 20th, 2030,” the woman said in a clipped, precise accent.

“I was in Saffron City,” the younger woman answered.

“What were you doing there?” the older demanded.

“ I was with my friend Juliet. Juliet Billing. We had just come from Cerulean City, because we’d taken the ship from the Indigo Plateau. She’d just made her first go at the Elite Three, and lost. We didn’t care, she’d made it that far, and we figured we’d go out and celebrate.”

“It was just the two of you?”

“No,” Kate said slowly, a pained expression coming over her face. “There was Vincent, too. And our Pokémon of course.”

“And who was Vincent?”

“He was the one who first taught me how to be with a Pokémon. He was a very skilled trainer. He’d already been to the Indigo Plateau and won.”

“Would you mind telling us what Pokémon were in your possession at that time?” the woman queried, voice turning suspiciously sweet for a moment

“I suppose. I just had a Scizor and a Misdreavus.”

“A ghost-type Pokémon, then?”

“Clearly,” Kate said with a roll of her eyes.

“And a Scizor,” the woman said with a tone of finality. “Very interesting. Thank you, Miss Hughes, that will be all.”

-=-

“023 Juliet Billing”
    “Thank you for speaking with us today, Miss Billing,” spoke the same severe woman as before.

“Of course,” replied a young woman, in her mid-twenties or so. She leaned back in her folding metal chair, adjusting the sleeves of her oversized black leather jacket.

“So, tell us, Miss Billing, what you remember of the events that took place on July 20th, 2030,”

“Well…”

-=-

The sun was shining brightly, a pleasant breeze blew through the busy streets of Saffron, and Juliet’s spirits were soaring as she strolled down the sidewalk with her two friends. Vincent, a strapping young man with close-cropped red hair, walked to Juliet’s left, a nine-tailed yellow-white fox loping along at his side. A moment of regret tinged her thoughts as she remembered the old days when her Magmar, then a Magby, would be able to ride on her shoulder – she’s much too big for that now, she mused.

To Juliet’s left walked another girl, a few years younger with short black hair, and a pace behind her was the fierce metallic form of a Scizor. Many a passerby shied away from his intent gaze as they passed, but Juliet had grown used to it by now.

“Oh, stop looking so serious, Scizor,” Kate admonished, clearly not as at peace with it as Juliet.

“…,” Scizor responded.

“Don’t you know by now that that’s just how he is, Kate?” Vincent laughed, reaching around Juliet to nudge Kate’s shoulder, making a blush rise in her cheeks.

The sun was now just a nimbus of light surrounding the tallest buildings, a reflection of orange and red brilliance on the high windows, when they finally found a suitable restaurant, a small bistro. The three sat down around one of the outside tables, perusing their menus as the streetlights went on and the last vestiges of daylight finally crept over the horizon towards next morning.

A few minutes later, a waiter approached them, holding his hands together in delight as he spoke.

“Well, ladies and gentleman, what shall it be this evening?”

“I believe I’ll have…” Juliet trailed off, mouth open as she stared past the waiter, out towards the city.

The waiter and the other two at the table turned to follow her gaze, and their mouths followed hers in dropping open at the sight of a large, flaming object falling from the sky – it appeared to be on a collision course for the direct center of the city. Just then, one of Juliet’s Pokéballs sprung open, letting out a purple feline with a forked tail and a red gem on its forehead.

“Eeessss!” it screamed, clearly in a state of panic.

“What is that?!” Kate finally screamed, breaking the silence at the table.

“I don’t know,” Vincent replied. “But I think we should get out of here!”

All in agreement, they grabbed their bags from next to their chairs, Juliet gather up her Pokémon, and they ran with the waiter down the street –
    away from the city center. Just then, a Claydol that had been floating alongside its owner, an aged businessman, suddenly started spinning erratically, flashing azure beams of psionic energy in every direction. One blasted a pillar directly next to the running group, and they all leapt out of the way of falling chunks of rock. Chips of stone left shallow cuts on Juliet’s arms and cheek, runnels of blood leaving grooves in the dust now covering her.

She and her two companions kept running for a few seconds before they noticed that the waiter was no longer with them. Grinding to a halt, they turned in horror to see him pinned underneath a huge chunk of the pillar, blood dripping from his mouth and several other places to form a fast-widening pool on the sidewalk around him. Kate made to move forward and help him, but at that moment, the flaming object made contact with the ground in the city center.

The ground shook violently, sending the three and everybody else on the street to the ground; a solid wall of dust and debris was heading down the street towards them, a goliath threatening to swallow them up. Juliet’s Espeon struggled to escape her grasp, yelling wildly and sending out psychic waves that left all three of the youths clutching painfully at their heads as it leapt out of Juliet’s arms and bounded off down the street, lost quickly in the thick, dusty air that now permeated the area.

“What in the hell is going on?!” Vincent shouted once he managed to clear his head.

Before anybody could speak, a window halfway up one of the taller buildings on the street exploded outward, the cause obvious – a man flew out of it, as if thrown, and plummeted screaming to the streets below. In the jagged opening of the window stood a yellow humanoid shape with a ruff of white fur around its neck. It spun something wildly around in its hand and sent blasts of psychic energy into the buildings adjacent. Even down at street level, the three could hear its wordless screams in their heads.

“Something is making the psychic Pokémon in the city go absolutely insane,” Juliet reasoned. “We’ve got to get out of here. It isn’t safe!”

“Where’s Scizor?!” Kate interjected suddenly. The three looked around quickly but could see no trace of him.

“Wasn’t he with us?” Vincent queried. “I know I saw him keeping up with us when we left the restaurant. Hell, he could probably run all of us into the ground.”

-=-

“That’s all I really remember,” Juliet finished, scratching a thin hand through her shoulder-length auburn hair. “We managed to get out of the city, but Kate could never find her Scizor after that. I lost my Espeon, and we heard about psychic Pokémon going crazy everywhere we went. Nobody knew why, but it was clear that it had something to do with that object that fell into the city.”

“That was very illuminating, Miss Billing. Thank you for your time,” the severe woman stated.

“Glad to be of service, Doctor Hutchens. May I go now?”

“About that…” Hutchens said seriously, motioning to somebody unseen by Juliet as she opened the door. A man in body armor with a reflective helmet stepped in, pulled out a pistol, and shot a dart into Juliet’s neck.

“Wha–Why…?” she said drowsily before slumping in her chair, chin resting on her chest, arms dangling at her side like vines on a willow.

-=-

Scizor walked calmly down the center of a street, metal feet clacking loudly against the pavement as he went. The dust got thicker and thicker and the flames and cries more numerous as he approached the city center. A raging Exeggutor charged at him from a nearby flower shop, shooting Egg Bombs and vivid blue Psybeams in all directions, but the metallic red warrior merely smacked it aside with a solid pincer and continued on, his gaze locked on the end of the street. He could see it! A smoking crater, its edges rounded and bubbling, the heat of the object so intense that it had melted the ground around it.

As he slowly approached the crater, something moved within it with a metallic scraping noise. Suddenly visible amid the smoking remains was a pair of flailing tentacles grasping blindly at the edge of the hollow. Sensing danger, Scizor suddenly closed his eyes. A flash of light lit the area, and he charged towards the crater, pincered arms raised high.
    Last edited by Dresden; 18th April 2010 at 3:21 AM.

Ahh, i remember you And A Darker World.
    Bringing back all the memories now, i was dissapointed when you discontinued that story. It's nice to see you back with a new one though.

I'm liking the use of discription in the prologue and i actually think that first sentence was really good. It gives a good feel to the environment straightaway. I don't remember Fern though, or is she new?

Interesting flashback in chapter 1 with all the psychic Pokémon turning weird. I'm looking forward to reading how this story develops now.

Hey Sinnoh, glad to see you reading this ^_^

Yeah, Fern was in Darker World, but she was only introduced in like the last chapter, so no wonder you don't remember her.

Chapter 02 – The One Purity

pu⋅ri⋅ty [pyoor-i-tee]
    1. the condition or quality of being pure; freedom from anything that debases, contaminates, pollutes, etc.
    2. freedom from guilt or evil; innocence.

A golden, vulpine-faced humanoid sat cross-legged in a finely furnished, wooden paneled room, long mustaches twitching as he stared at the girl seated on the rug across from him, lively green eyes gazing steadily back into his. Between them, floating unsupported a foot or so above the richly-coloured carpet, was a ball of energy, colours constantly changing spun in intricate patterns. Tendrils would occasionally twine out of it and head towards either the golden-tan Pokémon or the redheaded young girl, but with an amused look they would send it waving towards the other before it dissipated.

A while later, the ball itself vanished with a puff of colourful smoke and the pair relaxed, stretching muscles that had remained largely unmoved for the last two hours. The girl smoothed the skirts of her black dress as she stood and walked over to the bureau up against the wall. She stared at the two rough metal spoons placed on it, seeming out of place in all the grandeur.

You’re getting quite skilled at this, Fern,” a calm, powerful voice echoed in her head as she turned away from the bureau.

“Only to be expected under your tutelage, Rupert,” Fern replied out loud, smiling at her mentor and giving his mustache a short tug with her mind.

Unruffled, Rupert floated his spoons over from the bureau and grabbed them out of the air; they glowed vivid blue slightly for a moment in his hands. He stepped towards Fern, and she wrapped her arms around his middle and closed her eyes.

“This part always feels funny,” Fern muttered into the Alakazam’s chest, and suddenly everything around them shifted.

The dark paneled room was replaced with a windy rooftop looking out over a sunset of pinks and oranges and reds. Fern opened her eyes and stepped away from Rupert, rubbing her temples, a look of discomfort and pain flitting across her face. Her Pokémon placed a clawed hand on her forehead, and hand and head both glowed a soothing white for a moment. When the Alakazam lowered his hand, the redheaded young girl smiled at him, a silent thanks, before turning to admire the sunset.

“I wish Teleportation didn’t always do that to me,” she muttered.

”Well, you aren’t exactly designed for it. The molecular density of the human body is just not what my species’ is.”

“Oh well. No point dwelling on it. Don’t you just love Saffron in the summer, Rupert?” she said over her shoulder.

“It does certainly provide one with a multitude of colors to gaze upon,” spoke Rupert in her mind.

“It’s nice to be out of the Mansion. House Dahrk can be so dreary.”

“Perhaps it is simply your aunt’s presence that makes it so.”

“My dear respectful Rupert, pray did I just hear you speak ill of somebody?”

”Not at all. I am just stating that her solemnity can make situations more sober than is necessary.”

“Oh, you…” Fern laughed, wrapping both of her arms around her mentor’s one as he stepped up next to her at the rooftop’s edge.

Glancing over the edge, Fern noticed a group of people near her own age making their way down the street with a couple Pokémon – in particular, the imposing red form of a Scizor, a strange one to see just walking around a city. Just then, Fern noticed something that had been nagging at her ever since they appeared on the rooftop.

“Can you feel that…?” she said vaguely, looking up into the sky for no reason she could conjure.

”Indeed I can,” Rupert thought, sounding worried, which, coming from him, was something for others to worry about. Rupert was always a pillar of calm. His eyes also gazed up into the sky, although it appeared to be a normal sky. The few clouds were painted warm pastel colours by the setting sun, and the moon was starting to become visible. And larger. Now, why would the moon be getting larger?

“Something isn’t right,” Fern stated tensely, sensing the waves of concentration and wrongness coming from Rupert as he stared at the moon.

”Get out of here, Fern. That thing is heading right for the city.”

“What?” she replied, confused for a moment until she finally noticed what her mentor had. Before she could say anything else, he had grabbed her arm and suddenly she was gone from the rooftop. A cobblestone courtyard appeared around her, and a large fountain was right in front of her, into which she promptly vomited , head spinning and legs unsteady from another Teleport so soon after a first.

Before Fern had a chance to really steady herself, a tremor shook the whole area, sending her to the ground in a heap. As if that wasn’t enough, a sudden burst of pain pierced into her mind, leaving her sobbing and clutching at her head. Minutes passed before both tremor and mental pain subsided. Once she returned to her senses and climbed to her feet, Fern immediately knew something was wrong. She tried to brush the dust out of her skirts with a quick thought, and it did nothing. Trying again, she still yielded no results. Before a third attempt could begin, yet another piercing pain stabbed into her mind, but this time it was one she could identify – it was coming from far up above her, on the roof of the Dahrk Mansion where she knew Rupert still to be.

It was quickly joined by dozens more, sending Fern to the ground again, this time curled into a ball, quivering and weeping, unable to perceive a single thing about the world around her through the cacophony of psychic voices screaming inside her head.

“Shut up!” she finally managed to shriek. “Shut up shut up shut up SHUT UP!”

But the silent wailing continued unabated as the city fell apart around her, bursts of psychic energy tearing buildings, streets, and people apart.

-=-

Juliet, Vincent, and Kate ran through the dust and the maze of fallen masonry towards what they hoped to be the outskirts of the city. However, Vincent soon caught sight of a street sign, and, recognizing the name on it, pulled the pair of young women up short with a shout.

“We’re heading deeper into the city,” he told them dejectedly. “I know this street, and it’s further in than where we were.”

“How did we get turned around?” Kate queried, running a hand back through her short-cut black hair. “I know we were heading the right direction when we started, and we haven’t taken any turns.”

“Well, it has been hectic,” Juliet interjected.

Just then, before anybody else could add to the conversation, an explosion echoed down the street, its source obvious. The wall of a nearby building was sent outward in a shockwave of stones and dust, and out of the gap stepped a small figure. When the dust had cleared slightly, the three could see quite clearly it was a young human girl in a black dress with long silver hair. The girl was surrounded with what appeared to be blue fire, and both dress and hair fluttered behind her as if in a wind, although the air in the street was perfectly still.

The three stood rooted to the spot as she approached, slowly and silently, eyes like pure garnets staring intensely at them. As she came closer, Vincent suddenly spoke up.

“Fern? Is that -- ” he started, but before he could finish, he was sent flying backwards with a yelp, sliding to a halt some ten feet behind Juliet and Kate. The pair looked back from Vincent to the girl in front of them, whose left hand was now raised, palm-outward, towards them. Juliet made to move towards the silver-haired girl, but was sent sprawling along with Kate to land even further away than Vincent, unmoving, clearly unconscious.

As Vincent struggled to his feet, he was wrapped in invisible bonds and lifted up into the air, his struggling useless. The girl’s hands, still enveloped in the blue flames, both moved now, as if manipulating a puppet’s strings. Vincent twitched and writhed in pain as she walked slowly towards him, the hem of her dress swirling around her legs.

“Why won’t they get out of my head?!” she screamed, her voice strange, as if multiple voices spoke at once. “They’re all inside me and they won’t stop yelling!”

Vincent, blinded by pain, was unable to answer as she continued manipulating the invisible strings of psychic power, but this didn’t stop Fern’s rambling.

“They say it’s here, but they won’t tell me what it is. They tell me to go to it, but I don’t want to. They tell me to listen for the music, and that it will set us free. I have no idea what they’re talking about. They keep talking they keep screaming they won’t shut up and they won’t get OUT OF MY HEAD!”

The last words were shouted at the top of her lungs, and as she screamed she flung both arms out away from her, and with this motion Vincent was sent flying across the street, slamming full-force into the stone pillar of an office building. The silver-haired girl fell to her knees, clutching her head and muttering continuously under her breath, the blue fire wreathing her illuminating the insane gleam in her eyes, the sharp features of her distraught face.

Suddenly, another voice spoke out of the gloom of the city street; an older, feminine voice, powerful and sure.

“I think you’ve done quite enough damage, little girl,” it echoed, bouncing off the buildings until one could not be sure of its origin.

“Get out of my head! There’s no room left!” Fern shrieked back, blasting a huge hole in the street as her head whipped up and looked around for the source of this new annoyance.

“I want to help you,” the voice spoke, gentler but no less sure.

“What, do you want to tell me about the music and the salvation and IT?! I’ve heard enough from them!”

Fern waited, hands on her knees, eyes darting around from shadow to shadow, but no reply came. Suddenly, out of the shadows about thirty feet from her, a spherical object came hurling towards her. She tried to stop it with a wall of psychic energy, but it continued unabated.

“Ching ching!” the sphere cried happily as it struck her full-force in the face, sending her down to land hard on her back. As she tried to bring things back into focus, a figure emerged from the direction the sphere had come from. The dim light made it difficult to make much out at first, but as the figure stepped into the illumination from the blue fire surrounding Fern, she could see more.

It appeared to be a woman in her late twenties, with bluish-black hair that went down nearly to her knees. She wore simple black pants and a form-fitting crimson tunic belted in black, with matching boots. She was surrounded by a double circle of the same spheres that had struck Fern, and she could now see better what they were; fist-sized bells with ribbons tied to them, all chiming away as they orbited around the human woman.

“Sabrina,” Fern’s multiple voices growled, and again she tried to send a burst of psychic energy forth. However, it merely dissipated upon striking the ring of Chinglings. The small part of her mind that was still cogent and observant tried to make sense of this, but before she could complete a thought, Sabrina pointed a hand at her, and sent forth one of the rings of Chinglings towards her. As the bell-like Pokémon surrounded the young girl, she stared in wonder at Sabrina as her mind slowly cleared of the myriad voices of insane psychic Pokémon.

“How?” she said softly, dazedly. The blue fire faded from around her body, her hair slowly changed from silver back to red, and the crimson glow faded from her eyes, leaving them their usual vivid green.

“I don’t know,” Sabrina replied as she closed the distance between them and knelt in front of the younger girl. “Something about them keeps whatever this new menace is at bay.”

“I wonder what…” Fern began, but trailed off suddenly as a look of horror dawned on her face, the memory of what she’d just done entering her mind. She leapt to her feet and ran over to where she’d sent Vincent flying. She found him lying on the ground at the base of the pillar, barely moving; blood was flowing steadily from a large cut in his forehead, and one of his arms was bent at an unnatural angle.

“Vincent! Cousin!” she cried out as she approached, falling to her knees next to him, heedless of any damage to herself or her clothing. “I’m so sorry, cousin, I don’t know what came over me!”

“It,” Vincent started weakly, eyes barely open, before choking momentarily and coughing up some blood. “It’s okay. I knew it was—”

But then his eyes widened, his whole body tensed in pain, and he started coughing again, more blood issuing from his mouth. All too suddenly, he was still, eyes staring blankly up into the smoke-filled night sky. Fern could do nothing but stare horrified into them for a good minute. Sabrina approached behind, the Chingling ambling slowly through the air around her, but said nothing, knowing no words could repair the damage that had just been done to the poor girl in front of her.

The young redhead collapsed forward, face pressed against Vincent’s unmoving chest as tears leaked silently from her eyes, squeezed tightly shut to hide the sight of her sin. Her shoulders heaved in sobs, but she made no sound. Sabrina gazed sadly down at her for a moment before walking away to check on the other two girls, still sprawled where Fern had sent them only minutes before. She knelt over them, hands glowing white for a moment; ascertaining their good health, she let the glow fade, sighing tiredly as she stood back up.

Just then, the roar of engines echoed down the streets, followed quickly by their sources. Two large military vehicles skidded to a halt in the intersection, and figures poured out of one of them. A sole figure stepped slowly from the other, watching the scene in front of them. The group that had exited the first vehicle split into two, one half heading over to where Fern was still huddled over her dead cousin’s body, and the other towards Sabrina and her two unconscious charges. The lone figure approached Sabrina slowly, the short, bright blaze of a cigarette momentarily illuminating the face of a middle-aged man in a dark grey trench coat. He blew out a long stream of smoke before speaking.

“Hello, Sabrina,” he said, deep voice speaking with the surety of rank and position.

“You know who I am?” the young woman replied cautiously.

“Who doesn’t know of Sabrina, the young Psychic and former Gym Leader? But as for me, I am Baltar Stroth, a scientist and researcher at Black Mountain.”

“Isn’t that the company that picked up the remnants of Silph?”

“Indeed. But we tend to cover more territory than they did. And that brings me to the point. We’re going to need to bring your friends here in.”

“They are no friends of mine. I just happened upon this situation. But I do have to ask… why?”

“Call it a mix of professional curiosity,” Baltar replied with a smile, “and a wish to see this dastardly situation through to a harmonious conclusion.”

“You just want that girl because she’s a psychic,” Sabrina said as something clicked in her head. “A scientist like you must have noticed that it was only psychic Pokémon that have been affected by this new phenomenon.”

“Most assuredly, although, apparently, not all of them,” Baltar replied with a gesture at the bell Pokémon still orbiting the young woman in front of him. “And apparently they offer you some protection as well.”

“I discovered it by accident, really. I’d been training with this group of Chingling lately, and was in the middle of such a session when the object struck. All of my other psychic Pokémon started going crazy, as well the two students I currently have under my tutelage, but the Chingling remained unaffected. I must say, also, that neither of my students reacted the way that girl over there did.”

“Thus why she is of such interest,” Baltar said softly, gazing over at the girl – still surrounded by a ring of the bell Pokémon – as she was hefted to her feet by two soldiers, hardly registering their presence as she stared, heartbroken, at her cousin. She offered no resistance as they lead her to the second truck and hoisted her up into the back, quickly disappearing in after her.

“You don’t seem as though you intend to take me in,” Sabrina spoke.

“Indeed not, and for several reasons. First, I hardly doubt you would come quietly, and, second, you seem to have control enough over yourself that you pose no threat. That girl is clearly unstable, and thus must be kept confined… at least for now. I do hope you don’t mind us borrowing your Pokémon.”

“Not at all. Chingling have always seemed to be attracted to me; I have no trouble obtaining more of them.”

Baltar nodded, speaking no more, and headed back to his truck. He tossed his cigarette to the ground next to the truck, grinding it into the pavement with the toe of his shoe before stepping up into the cab of the vehicle and closing the door. Sabrina stood motionless, not noticing the chiming of the Pokémon around her as she watched the vehicles drive off through the ruined streets of the city.

-=-
    FOUR YEARS LATER
    -=-

Fern sat on her bed, arms propped up on her knees, and stared listlessly at the far wall of her room, painted plain white like everything else here. The buckles at the end of the arms of her straight jacket clanged occasionally against the metal bed frame with her slight movements. Her eyes were out of focus, not seeing the room, instead turning inward.

She rarely tried this anymore, afraid of what would happen. She reached towards the well of power that she knew to be within herself; that raw psychic energy with which she could potentially do anything. However, just before she touched it, she drew back, fearful of going to that place again. Partly from pieced together, vague memories and partly from what she’d been told by the people holding her, she was aware of what had happened on that horrid day when she’d been taken over by the passion and pain of every psychic Pokémon in the area. She abandoned her internal endeavor and looked outward, finally becoming aware of the room around her again. The walls of her room were white, but the paint was chipping nearly everywhere, and it was the same with her bed, covered with only one thin sheet and a single pillow. A stainless steel toilet sat in one corner next to a matching sink, one off-white towel hung over the side of its bowl, and thus completed the room’s meager furnishings.

Fern had lost track of how long she’d been in this place, held captive against her will, unaware of a single thing going on outside the facility’s walls. All she knew was she was brought in along with those two girls that had accompanied her cousin – Kate and Juliet, she learned their names were – and that there always seemed to be psychic Pokémon being brought in, nearly all of them wearing collars which she later learned suppressed their psychic abilities. The most painful day was the day they brought in Rupert, his eyes lacking their usual gleam as he was lead through the cold corridors

She’d also seen other humans brought in, although not nearly in such large numbers. Two in particular stood out to her, a pair of female twins about her own age. She had immediately felt an affinity for them, although she could not have said why – she knew now; they were the only other psychic humans in the facility apart from herself. She rarely got to see them, or anybody else for that matter. She had been kept in strict solitary confinement almost from the day she’d been brought here, having only a handful of visits since then.

She’d gone to talk with Juliet and Kate a couple of times, learning what her cousin had been up to in the years since he’d left House Dahrk and about their travels with him. She was also able to share her grief with them, all three crying together at the loss of friend and family, but that had been a rare reprieve in the emotionless monotony of this place. Mostly it was endless days in her room – her cell, she generally thought of it as – and occasional interviews by her captors.

As she got up from her bed to walk the five paces back and forth across her room, she wondered, as she often did, why she thought she could hear the faint chiming of bells. She shook her head, dismissing it as merely a figment of a bored mind.

-=-

The burly form of Baltar stood, swathed in his lab coat, staring through the wide window of the observation chamber, and next to him was a short woman. She was wiry and thin, hardly an ounce of extra weight on her, her skin drawn tight across her skull, the iron grey hair pulled back into a bun making her appear even more skeletal and severe than she already did.

“So, Doctor Hutchens,” Baltar voiced into the silence, “Any blinding revelations on why Chingling remain the only pure psychic beings in this world?”

“You know the answer to that well enough, Stroth. We’ve several samples of every known psychic species of Pokémon, and every single one loses its mind when it leaves the confines of this building.”

The pair stood silent for a few minutes as they both stared through the window into the main chamber. It was a gigantic cylinder, easily spanning one hundred and fifty feet up and about seventy-five across, and it housed perhaps the most important part of the facility. A spiral reached from the steel floor all the way up the 150 feet to the roof, made entirely of hundreds of Chinglings, ever circling in their whirlwind of pure, untainted psychic energy, providing protection for all psychics inside the field of their power and – as they’d discovered incidentally – a blind spot in the eyes of the menace that now roamed the country.

It was these tiny, innocent little Pokémon that they’d spent the last four years studying here at Black Mountain Laboratories in the heart of the ruins of Saffron City – ground zero, as it were. One thing they’d ascertained since the incident was that, for whatever reason, the menace was loathe to return to its origins. Only once had it ever returned to the city since its landing. However, even with it absent, there were still plenty of insane psychic Pokémon wandering around. Also, apart from that, their research could not possibly be done anywhere but at the very spot where this whole mess started.

If only we could find that damned Scizor, Baltar thought to himself ruefully, thinking back to the one photo he had of it on his computer. That photo had been one of few salvaged from the memory card of a camera found mere yards from the impact crater; unfortunately, its owner had been dead, and as such they had nobody to question about what had occurred. It could not be an accident, though, that there was a photo of Subject 008’s Scizor at the impact crater and that it had not been seen since.

Pointless musings, he reminded himself. I should focus on solid solutions not daydreams and theories that we’ve gone over dozens of times.

“Well, shall we get back to work then, Doctor Hutchens?” he said with a sigh as he turned to leave the observation chamber.

“You go on ahead. I want to have a talk with the girl’s Alakazam. From what we’ve ascertained, it was the first one to notice the object before its impact. More importantly, it is the most capable of expressing what it knows to us.”

“So the process has been successful? Its mind has finally stabilized?”

“It appears so. Shame that it took so long to develop. We should have had these answers years ago.”

“Nothing for it now. Go see what you can find out.”

Doctor Hutchens nodded her head ever so slightly, aware that Baltar Stroth stood above her in the company’s ranks, but ever disdainful of the man and his methods. Had she been allowed to run things, far more would have been accomplished by now… or so she thought to herself constantly.
    Last edited by Dresden; 14th March 2010 at 5:59 PM.

Vincent died? Aww, i liked him ;_;

I loved all the description at the beginning of the chapter. And when Rupert the Alakazam was mentioned i started remembering stuff from the old fic. Fern in psycho mode=awesome. The battle scene was really full of emotions especially from Fern which was good.

The only thing i noticed that might have been a mistake was Rupert's first bit of speech not being in italics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnohdragon View Post
    Vincent died? Aww, i liked him ;_;

I loved all the description at the beginning of the chapter. And when Rupert the Alakazam was mentioned i started remembering stuff from the old fic. Fern in psycho mode=awesome. The battle scene was really full of emotions especially from Fern which was good.

The only thing i noticed that might have been a mistake was Rupert's first bit of speech not being in italics.
    Ah yes, forgot to italicize his first line, thanks. And yes, alas, Vincent is no more. I only carried him over that much as a connection to the old fic. Ever since the idea for this story first popped into my head, I didn't see him being in it. I don't even know that Kate and Juliet will have huge parts, although Scizor will, so I guess Kate at least will have to.

I hope I can get more readers for this. It's depressing to have just one ._.

Especially since I think I'm doing a much better job on this already than I ever did with A Darker World. I had a decent handful of readers for that, though.

I've started working on Chapter 3, finally. It will introduce the final main characters, Holly and Rianna, and what they were doing on the day of The Reckoning. Then we'll be done with the flashbacks and can get into the NOW of the story, and you can find out what happens next.