Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flint Lights The Fire (633)

Default Flint Lights The Fire (633)

Elite Four Flint and Gym Leader Volkner!

Arriving in Sunyshore City, Ash & Co. discover that the Sunyshore Gym is just giving out badges to anyone who wants them. Ash is annoyed by this and is determined to find and defeat the Gym Leader. Finally finding the Gym Leader Volkner, Ash & Co. learn that he has become apathetic to battling. His childhood friend and rival Flint, a member of the Elite Four, is also there and is determined to help Volkner regain his passion. Can they succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

You know, the link doesn't work. =/ But anyway, it's about time that they're airing this episode!
    Mood: Getting ready for the AP exams. Anyone else excited for AP Gov, Calc, Chem, and Lit?

That's because the episode hasn't finished airing yet. I only add the page when the episode airs. Focus :P

Ah okay, my apologies.
    Mood: Getting ready for the AP exams. Anyone else excited for AP Gov, Calc, Chem, and Lit?

As i expected the first half is mainly introductions & the like. It seems my suspicions were correct that Volkner is the one who helped in the creation of the Tower & is the person behind the city's Solar Power planning.

The first battle is between Infernape & Buizel (it lost quickly though), also the referee for this battle is a robot. The next up is Ash's Infernape (it lost easily as well). Next is Pikachu, Flint's Infernape used Flare Blitz (i heard Flare Drive or something like that). Pikachu lost as well (i think Ash has never used Volt Tackle this many times in a battle as he did in today's episode) but Volkner was able to see his past self in Ash. If i am right, Volkner is ready for the battle which will start in next episode.
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 25th February 2010 at 10:25 AM.

- Team Rocket Wobbuffet Eyes.
    - Sunyshore Gym security - as gentle as airport security.
    - Flint has a permant anti-chafe leg stradle.
    - Robot Ref. What will they think of next?
    - Here comes Buizel.
    - ONE-SHOT FLARE BLITZ HOLY ****!!
    - Moneky vs. Monkey
    - Best battle ever.
    - Volkner's an impatient little e'ffer.
    - Old dude had the Houndoom.
    - Thunderpunch, nice.
    - "Make a Wish" at the end.

So, ended up being Buizel, Infernape, and Pikachu versus Flint. Lots of cool stuff, especially Infernape. The Fire vs. Electric parallels at the end there tying into Volkner and Flint's past was a nice touch.

Oak: Ambipom. Professor safe this time.
    Last edited by V Faction; 25th February 2010 at 10:37 AM.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Ash lost, but it was a great battle, Flint's Infernape is a powerfull pokemon. Buizel lost too quickly. I thought it could give a better fight but I was wrong.

It was nice to see Volkner remember his own past.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

It was pretty obvious that Ash is going to lose the match (Elite Four match up he seems to have trouble in) but as long as Volkner gets his battle mojo back it doesn't matter.
    My Friend Code: 3625 - 8659 - 5865

Friend Safari: Water Type - Bibarel, Wartortle, Frogadier

- Sunnyshore doesn't look generic!
    - Just like Barry said there are Beacon Badges outside Sunnyshore Gym for Trainers to take.
    - Naturally Ash doesn't want one. He demands a battle. Security shows him the door.
    - This pretty much confirms Sinnoh has no sort of Gym regulation. Geeze.
    - Flint saves Ash from the security system. He takes them to Sunnyshore Tower.
    - It's a bad-I mean nice Raichu. False alarm.
    - Volkner's up there, too. Guy just sucks the life out the room.
    - Volkner and Flint were Rivals as children.
    - Cool Story, bro.
    - Yes, it was Flint who grabbed Volkner by the shirt in the preview.
    - BREAK.
    - James wilds out over a bottlecap following the break. Looks like Team Rocket doesn't intervene today.
    - Round 1: Infernape VS Buizel.
    - You make it hard for me to like you, Buizel.
    - Round 2: Infernape VS Infernape.
    - Wow. Infernape was OHKO'd, too.
    - Volkner thinks he's seen enough.
    - Round 2: Infernape VS Pikachu
    - Now it gets interesting ...
    - Pikachu's performance hits a nerve it seems.
    - Ash loses, but it looks like he gets the point across.
    - Cut to TR. James has a crazy plan! (/foreshadowing)
    - Volkner is moved even though Ash lost. He agrees to battle.

I'm not even going to attempt to call attacks for Infernape this week because I wasn't paying as close of attention as I should have. I did clearly hear Flare Blitz (Flame Drive) and Mach Punch (Mach Punch) commanded. Volkner's Pikachu (Raichu?) has the same moveset as Ash's Pikachu. It's almost creepy.

Oak's Lecture: AMBIPOM!!!!!1111

Next Episode Preview confirms Volkner has a Luxray.
    Last edited by An00bis; 25th February 2010 at 10:39 AM.

More things to note:

- Did Ash's Infernape use Fire Spin again after all this time? I'm probably seeing things.

- Flint's Infernape has a wickedly powerful Mach Punch. Compare this to Ash's, whose Mach Punch is more like rapid-fire. I think Flint was impressed.

- Buizel used 4 moves this go-around: Ice Punch, Water Gun, Aqua Jet, and Sonicboom. So, we're still holding true to the 4-moves-in-battle traditional. Also, none of them did a damn thing, holy crap.

- Pikachu of course saves the day by sparking Volkner's willingness to challenge him.

- This relates to the preview more, but Volkner looks to have Luxray and the entire episode seems devoted to the Tower retrieval.
    V | Faction

Nope Ash isn't going to win the league, I mean Flint creamed Ash, even though Pikachu took quite a bit of damage, Flint's Infernape apparently took no damage whatsoever.

Didn't really like Volkner being "Ash" moments at all, since it spells Pikachu vs Raichu.

Poor Infernape and Buizel, never had a chance. I think Infernape should have lasted at least a few more seconds.

And WTF if Infernape knew thunder punch why didn't Flint use it against Buizel.

And also, if that was Flare Blitz, it doesn't look all that impressive, Flame wheel looks tons better.

Also to note: I was right about Infernape showing up, and I have to laugh at that one picture "we" all thought was Buizel given the shape, but it turned out to be Infernape all along.

Edit: About Buizel, I'm disappointed that apparently Water Pulse got dropped, it's so much better than Water gun or sonic boom, so I'm disappointed that they chose to completely ignore Water Pulse as if it never learned the move at all (*cough*AgainstMaylene*Cough*).
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 25th February 2010 at 10:40 AM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    And WTF if Infernape knew thunder punch why didn't Flint use it against Buizel.
    He's just that good.

And also, if that was Flare Blitz, it doesn't look all that impressive, Flame wheel looks tons better.
    Maybe so, but I'll still keep that or Close Combat on my Infernape.com wishlist.

Also to note: I was right about Infernape showing up, and I have to laugh at that one picture "we" all thought was Buizel given the shape, but it turned out to be Infernape all along.
    Pssh, who was the dude who took screenshots?

That's right, <---- This dude right here. Always knew it was Mach Punch.

Edit: About Buizel, I'm disappointed that apparently Water Pulse got dropped, it's so much better than Water gun or sonic boom, so I'm disappointed that they chose to completely ignore Water Pulse as if it never learned the move at all (*cough*AgainstMaylene*Cough*).
    No worries dude, I know it'll be seen in the coming episodes. It's just a trope of the anime to only use 4 moves during the battle usually, remember?
    V | Faction

I hope people won't start judging Ash's Infernape too quickly by this match because with Flint's Infernape it probably had time to adjust to its power and its body in comparison to Ash's who only evolved recently.

Quite Frankley i'm disapointed they did it yet again, can we go one freaking evolution without it being fed to the lions? I mean really now every time one of Ash's pokemon evolves this region it loses it's first non TR battle after it evolves.

I'm at least thankful that Flint's Infernape didn't use Blast Burn so that means Ash's can still use it at some point.

So he got creamed easily, tough break for Cyber I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    He's just that good.
    Still Thunder Punch came out of nowhere basically, and while thunder punch on Infernape is necessary for flying and water types it's still unusual. Oh well though.

Maybe so, but I'll still keep that or Close Combat on my Infernape.com wishlist.
    Maybe but I'd prefer blast burn.

Pssh, who was the dude who took screenshots?

That's right, <---- This dude right here. Always knew it was Mach Punch.
    True but you must've missed my extensive analysis of the preview of this episodel; it's probably a few posts after the clearer image of Buizelnape's mach punch.

No worries dude, I know it'll be seen in the coming episodes. It's just a trope of the anime to only use 4 moves during the battle usually, remember?
    I hope you're right and that this is simply a 4 limit move thing, because if we never see water pulse, it learning it would be completely pointless.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    Quite Frankley i'm disapointed they did it yet again, can we go one freaking evolution without it being fed to the lions? I mean really now every time one of Ash's pokemon evolves this region it loses it's first non TR battle after it evolves.
    Under the circumstances of the battle this is different (it's against Flint, an Elite Four), oh and Staraptor didn't lose it's first non TR Battle after it evolved.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 25th February 2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Ash was going against an elite four AlmightyZardyou really he was going to win. At least infernape against an more experience one so it lost was understandable, and even if Flint's infernape did use blast burn that would't stop Ash's from learning it later.

Which is why Ash will probably lose against Volkner.. Don't like it, but it's very probable... I mean if Ash's supreme powerhouse fairs so badly..

I'm hoping for Volkner to say something like: neh this won't work yet, go train some more and we'll have a great battle worth remembering etc...
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Still Thunder Punch came out of nowhere basically, and while thunder punch on Infernape is necessary for flying and water types it's still unusual. Oh well though.
    I'm glad they gave it to him. I was waiting and thinking and wondering "Well, are they going to bring out anything else from this beast?" and WHAMM-O, out pops Thunderpunch.

Though using it on Pikachu was silly. No more sillier than Ice Punch from Buizel though I suppose. How does a Fire Pokemon get frozen anyway?

Maybe but I'd prefer blast burn.
    That too. One of the three.

True but you must've missed my extensive analysis of the preview of this episodel; it's probably a few posts after the clearer image of Buizelnape's mach punch.
    That was the one where you were talking about the different colors and the angle of attack based on trainer placement right? I actually liked that.

I hope you're right and that this is simply a 4 limit move thing, because if we never see water pulse, it learning it would be completely pointless.
    Exactly my thinking. Before Ice Punch there was Water Pulse. Now, it was some odd 100-or-so episodes ago, but in the Pokemon anime, the last attack you learned is like a freaking college degree, so it still counted. Otherwise, Buizel would probably be the least progressed Sinnoh Pokemon to date (aside from Pikachu).

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Which is why Ash will probably lose against Volkner.. Don't like it, but it's very probable... I mean if Ash's supreme powerhouse fairs so badly..

I'm hoping for Volkner to say something like: neh this won't work yet, go train some more and we'll have a great battle worth remembering etc...
    Say "Hello" to the Sunyshore training arc!
    V | Faction

Sunyshore is Larousse 2.0. Moving sidewalks, cleaning robots...actually a fair amount of robots. But they nerfed the walkways! Every town has STREETS!

...I actually called the Houndoom Guy being the Sunglasses Guy. At least I'm reasonably sure that's what was established. I still don't know who he IS other than he serves tea and is apparently a friend of Volkner's.

Also Volkner damn. Mood disorders what? This is what happens when you drink seawater. Either that or you try to end the universe. Anyway my point is there's a curse on Sunyshore and I will insist upon that to my dying day.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    I'm glad they gave it to him. I was waiting and thinking and wondering "Well, are they going to bring out anything else from this beast?" and WHAMM-O, out pops Thunderpunch.
    I see your point.

Though using it on Pikachu was silly. No more sillier than Ice Punch from Buizel though I suppose. How does a Fire Pokemon get frozen anyway?
    Well unless they have "flame body" I think fire types can be frozen in the game. I guess it's sort of a freeze flash moment with fire types, where they get frozen instantly.

That was the one where you were talking about the different colors and the angle of attack based on trainer placement right? I actually liked that.
    Yeah that was the one, but I guess people ignored it (mostly).

Exactly my thinking. Before Ice Punch there was Water Pulse. Now, it was some odd 100-or-so episodes ago, but in the Pokemon anime, the last attack you learned is like a freaking college degree, so it still counted. Otherwise, Buizel would probably be the least progressed Sinnoh Pokemon to date (aside from Pikachu).
    I can somewhat see why they'd use water gun instead though. Water gun seems direct and looks harder to dodge then water pulse since it's direct and quick. Water pulse in the anime seems to require some charging so in a high speed battle water gun is the faster of the move. But Sonic boom, is useless, yes I know anime =/= games but still, it does seem rather pointless and useless, not to mention Ash has never gotten far with sonic boom at all, with all the times Ash used sonic boom with Buizel not only did it either apparently no damage or was dodged completely. If any move had to go it should have been sonic boom (and yet for some strange reason, sonic boom is somehow one of Buizel's signature move aside from aqua jet).

Edit: Assuming my limited grasp of certain Japanese words is any where near correct, I think sunglasses guy was the previous Sunyshore Gym Leader, or was in a battle with Volkner to see who would become the gym leader, and Volkner won, and became gym leader because of it.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 25th February 2010 at 11:14 AM.

Well unless they have "flame body" I think fire types can be frozen in the game. I guess it's sort of a freeze flash moment with fire types, where they get frozen instantly.
    Similar to Ash's Charizard during the Orange Island.

Ah, you're right. What is it, Sacred Fire and Flame Wheel that have a chance of defrosting the user if initiated whilst frozen solid?

I can somewhat see why they'd use water gun instead though. Water gun seems direct and looks harder to dodge then water pulse since it's direct and quick. Water pulse in the anime seems to require some charging so in a high speed battle water gun is the faster of the move. But Sonic boom, is useless, yes I know anime =/= games but still, it does seem rather pointless and useless, not to mention Ash has never gotten far with sonic boom at all, with all the times Ash used sonic boom with Buizel not only did it either apparently no damage or was dodged completely. If any move had to go it should have been sonic boom (and yet for some strange reason, sonic boom is somehow one of Buizel's signature move aside from aqua jet).
    I usually look at it for balance reasons.

Water Gun, Water Pulse, and Aqua Jet are all Water-type moves. Buizel needs Sonicboom when facing foes highly-resistant to Water. Then, among those 3 attacks, Water Gun can be pinpointed, Aqua Jet is physical and speedy, and Water Pulse is like a hadoken for Buizel. Ice Punch covers other types (like Pikachu's Iron Tail). And there you have a very well-rounded Pokemon.
    V | Faction

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Actually this lose was only for Ash. now he knows this will be hard and the writers won't let him to lose again in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dranzer View Post
    I hope people won't start judging Ash's Infernape too quickly by this match because with Flint's Infernape it probably had time to adjust to its power and its body in comparison to Ash's who only evolved recently.
    Infernape had no chance against Flint's Infernape. Infernape just evolved, it wasn't ready to fight vs Flint. In the next battle you will see his real power.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

Under the circumstances of the battle this is different (it's against Flint, an Elite Four), oh and Staraptor didn't lose it's first non TR Battle after it evolved.
    Doesn't seem much different to me from any other battle this region he's had after a pokemon evolved.

FTR the pokeringer contest was just that, a contest it was not meant to be a battle therefore it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by bui View Post
    Ash was going against an elite four AlmightyZard you really he was going to win.
    I knew he wasn't going to win, but did they have to throw his Infernape that just evolved in there? and if they were going too, it should've put up a better showing than Pikachu did despite losing.

Heck none of them were even able to damage Flint's Infernape, and he's supposed to challenge the Elite four? get real.

if Flint's infernape did use blast burn that would't stop Ash's from learning it later.
    I would prefer Ash's be the one to debut it if they intend to keep the rivalry triad thing going between him, Paul, and Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash-kid View Post
    Infernape had no chance against Flint's Infernape. Infernape just evolved, it wasn't ready to fight vs Flint. In the next battle you will see his real power.
    That's what I was referring to I just hope people won't start saying how weak it is after a match against an Elite Four member who would have had a lot of time and tough fights to strengthen up his team, don't forget that Ash's Charizard had its losses as well

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast