Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 137

Thread: Flint Lights The Fire (633)

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    Infernape's strength is logical to me. No matter if Ash's Infernape is his strongest pokemon in his Sinnoh team; Flint's Infernape has been with him since he was a kid. It has the experience and the battle technique to demolish anything that comes in its way. For some reason it's Flin't main pokemon.
    I disagree because at least Cynthia's Garchomp actually flinched or appeared to take damage, heck Paul brought it to it's knees, and yet apparently Flint's Infernape appears to be stronger than Cynthia's Garchomp.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    -If Volkner made any more robotic things for his Gym, I'd swear the fans got the whole "old people who tutored Cyrus a kid who was withdrawn and into tinkering with machines" thing wrong.
    Fans? Nah. Cyrus was identified by name.

    The show's writers, on the other hand...
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,976

    Default

    Well whaddya know, I finally found the time to stop watching that new trailer for Super Mario Galaxy 2 to watch something else! Even though no sane person predicted an Ash victory against Flint, I'm actually a little disappointed he didn't get at least a few hits in, especially with three Pokemon. However, I was pleased with TR's role in this episode, taking a backseat and plotting their scheme for next week.

    NOTE: Volkner and Flint Character Discussion topics will come soon!
    Last edited by S.Suikun; 26th February 2010 at 6:17 AM.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Where there is snow.
    Posts
    1,865

    Default

    I knew something was up with the bartender. And what a lovely view Sunnyshore City has. And isn't there a shipping for Volkner and Flint? Nice to see Volkner relating his Raichu as a Pikachu when Ash's Pikachu fought hard.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    I was kinda hoping Flare Blitz would not be some fire aura attack. Would have been nice to see Infernape's fur catch on fire.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lavender town *shiver*
    Posts
    2,801

    Default

    Eh not so bad, it was lame how Volkner just doesn't care about the gym anymore and just gives badges away!

    At least we finally saw Ash battle another E4, this time Flint's Infernape, and you can see how broken these guys are in the show. It's a good thing though, they are an elite after all... Ash's pokemon got an awful beating, mostly Pikachu.

    I like the preview, we will get finally Grotle to evolve and Luxray .
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!



  7. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    You know... I find Aqua Jet, Volt Tackle, Brave Bird and Flare Blitz rather similar attacks. Their way of attacking is the same but with a different element. I'd be really disappointed if Ash's Infernape doesn't learn it. It'd be cool if his team manages to fully have those type of attacks.
    Aqua Jet is not a recoil damage move. It is a increased priority move. May's Blaziken learned two fire types moves in one episode so Infernape can do the same and learn both Flare Blitz and Blast Burn.

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    I think he means that all of them have the Pokemon wrapping themselves in an "elemental" aura of sorts before attacking their opponent. I can see that similarity. I like Infernape's Flare Blitz just because it's like the exact opposite of Aqua Jet.
    They were totally different. Flare Blitz looked like the fire phase of Brave Bird while Aqua Jet is completely different move where the user retain its body color while it is attacking.
    This make me wonder why didn't they made Wood Hammer look like a green Volt Tackle.

    Quote Originally Posted by kemal07 View Post
    Sounds like a brilliant episode.
    I have a question in mind.

    http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4...helitefour.jpg

    This flashback occured in both episodes where Aaron debuted and Lucian debuted where they were coloured.
    Did this flashback occur in this episode with Flints original colour,
    because this was the only reason why i always thought all elite members will show up at some point... if it didnt maybe Bertha will be scrapped. lol just conclusions.
    I don't think they have revealed that Flint is a E4 till now. I don't know Japanese but they didn't used Four heavenly kings phrase for Flint.

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I disagree because at least Cynthia's Garchomp actually flinched or appeared to take damage, heck Paul brought it to it's knees, and yet apparently Flint's Infernape appears to be stronger than Cynthia's Garchomp.
    Maybe because Torterra used Giga Drain on Garchomp. But they surely made it look like Flint's Infernape is better than Cynthia's Garchomp. I guess they will show how Cynthia will deal with it in Seashore Episode.

    I have one query though. While battling E4 where does all of Ash's strategies go? He could have tried Counter Shield as all Pokemon he chose know how to perform it. He had three Pokemon who had type advantage over Infernape but still he chose one which make me think that he might not just choose Gible in upcoming gym battle.
    Chimchar sold more merchandise in DP than Piplup.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South California
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile lover View Post
    Aqua Jet is not a recoil damage move. It is a increased priority move. May's Blaziken learned two fire types moves in one episode so Infernape can do the same and learn both Flare Blitz and Blast Burn.



    They were totally different. Flare Blitz looked like the fire phase of Brave Bird while Aqua Jet is completely different move where the user retain its body color while it is attacking.
    This make me wonder why didn't they made Wood Hammer look like a green Volt Tackle.



    I don't think they have revealed that Flint is a E4 till now. I don't know Japanese but they didn't used Four heavenly kings phrase for Flint.



    Maybe because Torterra used Giga Drain on Garchomp. But they surely made it look like Flint's Infernape is better than Cynthia's Garchomp. I guess they will show how Cynthia will deal with it in Seashore Episode.

    I have one query though. While battling E4 where does all of Ash's strategies go? He could have tried Counter Shield as all Pokemon he chose know how to perform it. He had three Pokemon who had type advantage over Infernape but still he chose one which make me think that he might not just choose Gible in upcoming gym battle.
    But that was upon evolution. It's been 2 episodes since Infernape evolved. I doubt it will get 2 moves in one episode.
    - Claimed:



    -XY, already better than Best Wishes.xD

    Pokemon Y Team:

    Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

    3DS FC: 1993-7360-7585

  9. #84
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    I won't complain about Flare-blitz's animation. i know it's a bit out there kinda presentation, but at least it remained true to what it supposed to be like - 'cloak the user in flames followed by a tackle'.
    And I also won't complain about Ash's choice of pokemon. Buizel comes with an advantage. Infernape vs. Infernape is for pure entertainment. And I guess Ash must have realised after those two battles that Flint is a tough cookie. So it was only right thing to do to send pikachu. That little rat had the only chance to stand in front of that monkey power-level wise, I guess. Besides Volkner hasn't got a staravia, has he? How else was Ash suppose to waken up the battling spirit in him?? :P

    Can someone confirm if it was revealed to the gang that Flint is an E4?

  10. #85

    Default

    I found this summary yesterday that was written by heerosferret. She posted on bulbagarden.

    http://sunyshore.com/volkner_anime.shtml

    It cleared out some things I was wondering about, and from what it turns out, Flint was mentioned that he was in the Elite 4. It was from the story that Flint and the bartender guy were telling Ash and everyone.

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SOS! Its Not Healthy.. View Post
    I found this summary yesterday that was written by heerosferret. She posted on bulbagarden.

    http://sunyshore.com/volkner_anime.shtml

    It cleared out some things I was wondering about, and from what it turns out, Flint was mentioned that he was in the Elite 4. It was from the story that Flint and the bartender guy were telling Ash and everyone.
    I don't know if what they wrote there is true. I just know that Flint is the E4 member of Sinnoh.

    anyone watching this epsidoe and knows Japanese can tell us I'll thank him very much, because I don't think that Ash fought against Flint without knowing he was an E4 member.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ...you want to know why?
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I disagree because at least Cynthia's Garchomp actually flinched or appeared to take damage, heck Paul brought it to it's knees, and yet apparently Flint's Infernape appears to be stronger than Cynthia's Garchomp.
    Cynthia's Garchomp used Giga Impact, and couldn't move afterwords. That's the only reason Paul's Torterra was able to bring it to its knee, it was supposed to show off Giga Impact's weakness.

    Ash used Buizel, but it lacked the experience to do anything to Infernape, and the anime has shown us type advantage isn't everything. Ash's Infernape just evolved, has beaten nothing, and again, lacked the experience. Did you see how it used Mach Punch fast and furiously while Flint's Infernape easily dodged them and then used a more powerful and precise Mach Punch?

    And Pikachu was at competitive at least, but again, however long Ash and Pikachu have been traveling together is nothing compared to the decade(s?) Infernape and Flint have been together and the strength they've gained.


    How did it get so late so soon? Its night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?, -Dr. Seuss

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZgonDuck View Post
    Cynthia's Garchomp used Giga Impact, and couldn't move afterwords. That's the only reason Paul's Torterra was able to bring it to its knee, it was supposed to show off Giga Impact's weakness.
    The only problem is that Garchomp was shown to be in pain (as in making a face), and besides Ash attacked Infernape the same way but as I said Infernape just stood there, not once did it seem affected at all. The quick attacks, nope, the thunderbolt that directly hit Infernape, nothing, Infernape wasn't affected at all. Even if it stood there, it could've at least appeared to be bracing itself against the pain (you know closing your eyes and enduring through the pain).

    Ash used Buizel, but it lacked the experience to do anything to Infernape, and the anime has shown us type advantage isn't everything. Ash's Infernape just evolved, has beaten nothing, and again, lacked the experience. Did you see how it used Mach Punch fast and furiously while Flint's Infernape easily dodged them and then used a more powerful and precise Mach Punch?
    Yeah but still compared to Pikachu, Buizel and Infernape should have lasted longer, OHKO is unrealistic, two hit knock outs would've been more realistic. After all look at all the damage Pikachu took, and yet it took less damage in the full battle and still lost. And the only reason Buizel and Infernape lost so easily is because of that darn Pikachu plot.

    And Pikachu was at competitive at least, but again, however long Ash and Pikachu have been traveling together is nothing compared to the decade(s?) Infernape and Flint have been together and the strength they've gained.
    And yet Cynthia is superior to him and Bertha, despite appearing to be a younger age (at least with Bertha, Flint could be older or the same age as Cynthia, although he looks older).

    Look I'm not saying Ash should have one, I'm just saying that Infernape should have taken some damage. one flinch is all I ask, and if there was supposed to be an Elite 4 arc for winning the league, Ash wouldn't be able to go very far, he might be able to take 1 Elite Four Pokemon but that's it (and it would require his top six most experienced Pokemon to do so). Compared to what we saw, Ash has no chance, even with reserves, as someone said even Charizard wouldn't have fared better, especially since Infernape knows thunderpunch.

    And the League wouldn't give Ash so much experience that it would close the gap.

    Edit: At least Agatha's Gengar appeared to take damage.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 26th February 2010 at 10:17 PM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ship to Hoenn
    Posts
    46,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile lover View Post
    They were totally different. Flare Blitz looked like the fire phase of Brave Bird while Aqua Jet is completely different move where the user retain its body color while it is attacking.
    This make me wonder why didn't they made Wood Hammer look like a green Volt Tackle.
    Again, I'm talking about it's overall similarity in the sense that both moves "cloak" the users in an elemental aura (Fire for Flare Blitz and Water for Aqua Jet. We weren't talking about it's overall effects, just the way it looks.

    Anyway time for my standard review now that I've seen the episode in HD and everything was crystal clear. I loved Sunyshore in the anime. It's more high-tech than I thought it'd be. Apart from the solar panels, they even had moving sidewalks. The city reminded me of LaRousse City from the seventh Pokemon movie. Even the gym was run by robots, there was the one at the door that handled trainers, the cleaning robot that took away James' bootlecap, and the referee robot during the battle.

    Loved that the Sunyshore Tower looked like the Tower of the Sun, I guess they decided it was prefect since Sunyshore is sunny. I thought Volkner looked prefectly depressed when he appeared especially when he was starring out the window into the ocean. His Raichu is so cute too, almost makes me wish Ash's Pikachu would evolve. The scene at the restaurant was intense, seeing as Ash was upset about Volkner and Flint told them the story about their childhood.

    The battle itself was much more intense that I thought. It was almost like a Gym Battle although Flint's Infernape seemed unbeatable. Kinda sad to see all of Buizel's training go to waste. It was only able to use three or so moves before being knocked out. Infernape versus Infernape was a yawn. Pikachu versus Infernape was the best part since Volkner saw himself in Ash. That seemed to be enough to make him accept the battle. Nice animation too, and I loved that Oracion was used as the background music once. Overall, a 9/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 26th February 2010 at 10:32 PM.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Blaizken Valley
    Posts
    714

    Default

    This episode was hot!! And I'm not saying that because of Flint's Inferape. Well... maybe I am. Anyway, I actually enjoy it. It was cool seeing Ash battle Flint. I'm just disappointed that he was able to cause Flint's Inferape some damage even when he was using Pikachu. Volkner's hair color should've been brighter than it was. I'm looking forward for the next episode.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash-kid View Post
    I don't know if what they wrote there is true. I just know that Flint is the E4 member of Sinnoh.

    anyone watching this epsidoe and knows Japanese can tell us I'll thank him very much, because I don't think that Ash fought against Flint without knowing he was an E4 member.
    I'm 99.9% certain Flint mentioned the word "Shitennou"(Four Heavenly Kings, AKA "Elite Four") when he introduced himself to Ash. I'm surprised it took this long for other people to confirm that, honestly.


    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin
    Look I'm not saying Ash should have one, I'm just saying that Infernape should have taken some damage. one flinch is all I ask, and if there was supposed to be an Elite 4 arc for winning the league, Ash wouldn't be able to go very far, he might be able to take 1 Elite Four Pokemon but that's it (and it would require his top six most experienced Pokemon to do so). Compared to what we saw, Ash has no chance, even with reserves, as someone said even Charizard wouldn't have fared better, especially since Infernape knows thunderpunch.
    I don't quite get how people are ASSUMING that his current team is exactly as strong as his revserves. I'd assume that he'd bring out the best of the best for an E4 arc instead of using whatever he happened to have on him, as he's done in every other fight he's had against an Elite Four member.

    There's also the whole "the power of Ash's Pokemon changes at the drop of a hat if the writers think it makes the scene more dramatic" thing. Having Ash losing terribly to Flint but never giving up worked right into their dramatic flashbacks of Volkner never giving up against Houndoom, but having Ash do better against the E4 would be more dramatic in a theoretical Elite 4 Arc. See also:Pikachu's hilarious fluctuations in power throughout each region.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

    Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    Again, I'm talking about it's overall similarity in the sense that both moves "cloak" the users in an elemental aura (Fire for Flare Blitz and Water for Aqua Jet. We weren't talking about it's overall effects, just the way it looks.
    I was talking about the look too. Flare Blitz looks similar to Brave Bird or Volt Tackle. The user becomes cloaked in energy and we see the outline of user's body but in Aqua Jet's case the user gets cloaked in water(u can call it energy) but retain its body color.

    But they surely didn't worked on Flare Blitz animation. As I said earlier, they just made it look like the fire phase of Brave Bird.
    Chimchar sold more merchandise in DP than Piplup.

  18. #93

    Default

    I loved the episode a lot.
    The battles, the flashbacks. It was very cute.
    Though, yah the city did remind me of the one from 7th movie hmm. I give this episode a 9. I loved how they compared to Ash and the way Pikachu didn't give up and gave his all, wow. One of my favorites this series.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

    Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

  19. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    I'm 99.9% certain Flint mentioned the word "Shitennou"(Four Heavenly Kings, AKA "Elite Four") when he introduced himself to Ash. I'm surprised it took this long for other people to confirm that, honestly.
    Well if so Ash probably knew that Flint is an E4 member. At least this time he wasn't arrogant like he was in the last few times against the Elite 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile lover View Post
    But they surely didn't worked on Flare Blitz animation. As I said earlier, they just made it look like the fire phase of Brave Bird.
    I didn't like it.
    Apparently they didn't want to invest. It is very similar to Flame Wheel but how Quilava is using this move.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    Wonder if those gym inspectors have been officially retconned out? I think some official other than Flint would be worried about Volkner just giving away badges.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

  21. #96
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Malmö/Lund - Sweden
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Interesting ep. First the hilarious Ash trying to get into the gym only being lifted away by a robot! The main battle them, well that Buizel would get beaten up in no time was a no- brainer. Infernape x2 was good but come on, we all knew how it would go. Pikachu vs. Infernape - okey that was a good fight. The flashbacks were good, I like when they show peoples life prior to meeting Ash, they do have lifes and background stories. That approch was handeld great in the pre AG seasons, faded a bit during AG but seems to have returned in full force in DP.
    We say goodbye in the pouring rain
    And I break down as you walk away.
    Stay, stay.
    'Cause all my life I felt this way
    But I could never find the words to say
    Stay, stay.


    ~ Stay by Hurts

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    419

    Default

    ^I wondered about that too uber gon. Maybe Sunnyshore has a robot gym overseer (they have robots for everything else there) and Volkner programmed it to give him a passing grade? But I like to believe that Flint cares more about Volkner's wellbeing than anyone else and took it upon himself to try and renew Volkner's battling spirit and make the Gym back to its old standard.
    FRIEND CODES
    3265-5772-9903
    Diamond Version ~NatDex 493 Owned COMPLETE~
    0174-3499-2232
    Silver Version ~NatDex 493 Owned COMPLETE~

    Wishvee eggs giveaway. Check online status to ensure trade.
        Spoiler:- Trade Offerings:

        Spoiler:- Trade Requests:

    Trades re-open. Plz inc FC and Time Zone w/ request. I am EST Zone

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Now, I know exactly zero Japanese, but from reading some of Dogasu's backpack, the tone it's spoken in makes a lot in the meaning in the words.

    I found Volkner being depressed similar to Paul, at least in tone. His voice was, for the most part, very soft and nonchalant. He's not a jerk, he just doesn't care. I thought it came across perfectly when he called Flint "Mr. Elite Four." That kind of said, to me, that on top of not having any decent challengers, Volkner feels abandoned by his best friend. He hides this by throwing himself into his work. And since his job as Gym Leader isn't providing him with work, he goes to technology.

    That being said, I could be completely wrong and someone who knows the language can correct me.

    Elite 4 battles have been done very well. Trainers that are still...well, training, shouldn't stand a chance.

    After seeing Close Combat on Flint's Infernape, I would not mind Ash's learning that move (Mach Punch seems to not have priority in the anime, so it's basically a weaker version of Close Combat). Though Flamethrower just isn't cuttng it, and Flame Wheel basically seems to backfire all the time. It needs something strong that can hit from a distance. Overheat? Fire Blast? Blast Burn?

    It was a nice little twist that Master was the poacher. I didn't catch that the first time I viewed this episode.

    Also, on why Buziel used Ice Punch. Ice moves ALWAYS seem to freeze the opponent in the anime. So even if it's not effective, it's still useful.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  24. #99
    Skull-Kid is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Loved the episode. Not too hard to guess why.

    I felt that Ash didn't really have much of a chance as I don't remember him getting a single effective hit which seems unfair to me. Nice twist with Master and the poacher.

    It would have been cool to see Buck in the episode too.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    It was a nice little twist that Master was the poacher. I didn't catch that the first time I viewed this episode.
    I didn't either, and I was surprised to find it out on my second viewing too.

    And yes, Ash knew Flint was an E4 member as soon as he appeared. He introduced himself as Flint of the Elite Four.
    Last edited by Geodude; 13th March 2010 at 12:00 AM.

    Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •