Lead #1
    @ Life Orb
    Bold
    252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense

Discharge
    Heat Wave
    Protect
    Roost

LO Discharge has exactly 70% the power of Mamoswine's Earthquake (taking into account each pokes actual attack stat) so it still hits with decent power. Running bulk actually helped me a few times, primarily against Weavile and random Stone Edges. No speed EVs lets Mamoswine go first, meaning I can Roost freely without fear of killing myself. If Mamoswine can clear out my two opponents Zapdos can use the free turn to Roost. Discharge Paralyze can pair nicely with Mamoswine's Rock Slide flinches too. Heat Wave is my best option against the bulky grounds but I really wish I had HP Grass. Protect is somewhat rarely used, but is helpful when Zapdos is obviously about to get gangbanged by something it wouldn't survive.

Lead #2
    @ Focus Sash
    Adamant
    252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Earthquake
    Ice Shard
    Rock Slide
    Protect

Mamoswine blasts away with Earthquake most of the time, but in rare cases Rock Slides for the chance of flinches (against two Ice waters, or a random Moltres or Charizard that I want dead). Ice Shard OHKOs most Flygon and Altaria while reducing Gliscor to a crippled husk. It also 2HKOs most things weak to it. Focus Sash is great for avoiding Fire Blast and Horn Drill OHKOs, but few other things can actually take Mamoswine out in one shot. He's surprisingly bulky. Protect makes sure Mamoswine lasts while doing.. other stuff.

If Mamoswine dies..
    @ Yache Berry
    Jolly
    252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Earthquake
    Dragon Claw
    Rock Slide
    Protect

As the title suggests, this comes out if Mamoswine dies. To this day I have never seen Garchomp faint, not once. Earthquake stuff to hell, and Dragon Claw the odd dragons and flyers. Protect is great on Garchomp since pokemon preparing to shatter it with an extremely obvious Ice Beam just get wiped out by Zapdos or Azelf. It also puts up a shield against my own Azelf's Explosion.

If Zapdos dies..
    @ lol Razor Claw
    Naive
    252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 Attack

Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower
    Grass Knot
    Explosion

Replacing the old Gengar is Azelf, who has done SO much better. Azelf is the cleaner, who can pick off random pokes who I would have trouble with like bulky grounds and that ******* Gastrodon. Explosion clears out the field and Protect on every team member has made sure this never hurts me. lol Razor Claw, I'm not sure what else to use. Lum Berry is lame and for some reason I don't even have the item Expert Belt in game. Grass Knot > Energy Ball because the few things Energy Ball hits harder Thunderbolt and Flamethrower outdamage except Gastrodon, but he usually carries a Rindo Berry anyhow (2HKO regardless of which move). Ironically the third battle with Azelf had me against a Lanturn (40 base power Grass Knot) but I just Exploded on it and won.

I lost to a lucky Heracross when Heat Wave and Rock Slide both missed and my openers got cleaned out on the first turn. I lost pretty quickly after that. But 199 wins! Best I've ever done.
    Last edited by Blue Harvest; 13th March 2010 at 8:12 AM.

Well, your team is GREAT, but I would put in an absol or some dark type that can learn ice, fire, or psychic instead of gengar.
    POKEHAK.WEBS.COM J.o.i.n. .N.O.W.!.

Quote Originally Posted by Noahrocks View Post
    Well, your team is GREAT, but I would put in an absol or some dark type that can learn ice, fire, or psychic instead of gengar.
    Thank you! A Tyranitar would be nice over Gengar for the Sandstorm my team mostly benefits from, but he can't absorb Earthquakes like Gengar can.

Sorry i'm bad at rating, but good at suggesting.
    Have you ever had Swampert standing in front of you?
    I don't know if this team will survive a Swampert or such things.
    Anyway, i'd go for Gyarados on the last slot. If you'd end up with Flygon and Garchomp at the end, then you're screwed if the opponent knows an ice move. And since I see you want to hit both your opponents at the same time as much as possible, why not Articuno with Blizzard?

Articuno @ ???
    Modest
    40 Special Attack / 252 HP / 216 Speed

Substitute
    Roost
    Toxic
    Blizzard
    *just took it from Smogon, sorry for that*
    ~ Reinier

Quote Originally Posted by FoldingScreen View Post
    imo MixPedo could work here

Quote Originally Posted by YOOMTAH View Post
    Sorry i'm bad at rating, but good at suggesting.
    Have you ever had Swampert standing in front of you?
    I don't know if this team will survive a Swampert or such things.
    Anyway, i'd go for Gyarados on the last slot. If you'd end up with Flygon and Garchomp at the end, then you're screwed if the opponent knows an ice move. And since I see you want to hit both your opponents at the same time as much as possible, why not Articuno with Blizzard?

Articuno @ ???
    Modest
    40 Special Attack / 252 HP / 216 Speed

Substitute
    Roost
    Toxic
    Blizzard
    *just took it from Smogon, sorry for that*
    Swampert is annoying, but not that bad. He's probably my biggest enemy next to Weavile though. Mamoswine EQ + Zapdos Heat Wave almost always 2HKO Swampert while 'pert is unable to OHKO either of my lead pokemon. If Swampert gets a KO Garchomp or Gengar can usually finish it off.

Articuno Blizzard can miss too much, but I was considering Choice Scarf Abomasnow. It can move faster then most pokemon and survive Earthquakes fairly well. In a pinch it can take a Discharge too.

Or do you think Gyarados would work?

^ I could see a DD Gyra working on this team, possibly. Here's what I'd do;

Gyrados @ Leftovers
    • Adamant Nature
    • 54 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge

Given that, from what I can see, you're a proficient battler anyway, I don't think this will need to much explanation but I don't know what the EVs would look like competitively. The EVs I use here let you outspeed any Max. Base 120 after a single Dragon Dance, although you may prefer to run 94 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe, Jolly, to outspeed Max Base 130s after a DD instead. I chose Stone Edge on this set because the Ice Type causes problems for two of this team's members, and is unresisted. I can see Froslass causing trouble with a little Crithax.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: I just looked back and noticed this. You may want to consider Substitute > Earthquake, as two of your other team members already run it, and CritHax will stop Gyra dead. However, you will be losing out on an attack that hits both opponents. Your choice.
    Last edited by Noctourniquet; 4th March 2010 at 8:59 PM.

That can work well. I might use a more bulky Wacan Berry Gyarados since you are totally right about Froslass. I haven't seen one yet but it seems like the kind of thing to beat me.

^ Here are all of the Froslass that you may come across;
    392 | Froslass | Timid | Cheri Berry | Ice Beam | Ominous Wind | Confuse Ray | Attract | SpA/Spe
    528 | Froslass | Adamant | Focus Band | Ice Punch | Sucker Punch | Swagger | Psych Up | Atk/Spe
    664 | Froslass | Modest | Expert Belt | Ice Beam | Thunderbolt | Signal Beam | Destiny Bond | SpA/Spe
    800 | Froslass | Modest | Lax Incense | Blizzard | Shadow Ball | Psychic | Hail | SpA/Spe
    All four of them can cause you trouble, and the bolded is a complete nightmare... It gets SE on everything except Mamoswine. Fortunately, IIRC, it is outsped by Chompy, although it may not be OHKO'd. However, I'm not sure about how appropriate a Wacan Berry would be on Gyra since it is actually the only Lassy that has an Electric move. That, and Leftovers work really well with Substitute... Although, there are other Electric-Types to consider. Electivire can hurt if it somehow gets out of being killed by Garchomp, for example. And then there's always the dreaded Jolteon that can only be outsped by Jolly 164 Spe Gyra...
    Last edited by Noctourniquet; 4th March 2010 at 9:49 PM.

Garchomp and Gengar both outrun it and only Zapdos is at risk of being OHKOed.

If Gyarados runs Dragon Dance / Protect it can jut let Mamoswine and Garchomp KO Jolteon.. maybe. I could also try and keep Gengar, maybe get a Hasty Explosion set or run something over Substitute on Gengar (and run a better item).

^ Orly? I thought it would be able to do considerably more than that. Fair enough, I was wrong there xD

If you were to use Explosion Gengar, wouldn't that endanger the rest of your team? I mean, Chompy doesn't really have room for Protect and it doesn't seem such a good idea to replace it with Gyrados. Although I suppose Gengar + Mamoswine could work, although I can see Mamoswine going down first. But then, I don't know that. You're the only one who's seen this team working.

**I mean in danger of being OHKOed first. Gengar and Garchomp can strike first and Mamoswine has a Focus Sash (its not going to be OHKOed anyway).

Well.. maybe Gengar could run Sludge Bomb or Focus Blast instead. FB sucks and is bound to cost me games, but Sludge Bomb hits the surprisingly numberous Normal types in the BT very hard. Energy Ball is also an option.

^ Oh right, I see. I thought you meant Ice Beam couldn't OHKO Chompy xD

Yea, FB is way too risky in the Tower. Hax will just screw you over completely... It seems like Sludge Bomb is, for once, viable. As for Energy Ball, it's a tough choice... I suppose Waters with Surf + Ice Beam, like Milotic, could cause trouble, especially if Zapdos goes down but after a SD Chompy should deal with them easily enough. I'd go with Sludge Bomb for reliable STAB, I suppose.

lol even that Froslass isn't guarenteed a OHKO. 95.24% - 112.89%!

I'm trying to think of things that Energy Ball hits that Sludge Bomb / Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / HP Ice doesn't already besides Swampert who normally can't actually OHKO Gengar.

^ Wow, that little? I'm surprised. It's still a fairly high chance, though.

Well, that set is totally walled by Steels, but then, the others handle that just fine... The only thing I can actually think of is Lanturn, but it's not a big threat. And, like you said, Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire. I think, although it's a bit horrible in the Tower, Focus Blast may be the way to go...

Only walled by some Bronzong since a teammate Earthquake or Heat Wave can generally annihilate the ones I've seen.

I guess Gengar is ok, but the big thing is what should Mamoswine's final move be. I can't re-breed it (he has near flawless IVs) nor can I get Platinum move tutors.

^ Well, since Zapdos is Def heavy, why not try Light Screen? It'll give you better all-round survivability, and I can't see that much else which would fit in.

I never even knew he could learn Light Screen..

Thats a good idea though. I have a terrible Calm Mind / Ice Beam / Psychic / Moonlight Cresselia weakness. I'm not sure if any exist in the battle tower (actually isn't that what Palmer has?) but if I see one I am practically guarenteed to lose.

^ Yea, I'd never have imagined him using Light Screen. It seems so out of place. Here are all of the Cresellia you will face. IIRC, Palmer runs the bolded;
    907 | Cresselia | Bold | Heat Rock | Psychic | SolarBeam | Moonlight | Sunny Day | Def/SpD
    921 | Cresselia | Bold | Lum Berry | Psychic | Toxic | Double Team | Moonlight | HP/Def/SpD
    935 | Cresselia | Modest | Wise Glasses | Psychic | Shadow Ball | Energy Ball | Charge Beam | HP/SpA
    949 | Cresselia | Modest | Leftovers | Psychic | Ice Beam | Signal Beam | Moonlight | HP/Def/SpD
    None of them are actually that dangerous next to what you mentioned.

I could have sworn Palmer ran a different set, but I can't remember and it isn't important in doubles anyway.

lol the Double Battle tower is.. strange. My 117th battle had a Pupitar and Electabuzz. I think I'll keep Gengar, I just need a more useful item. It has actually managed to activate once, it was from surviving a Bronzong Psychic head on and Garchomp was already wailing on it with Fire Fang.

HEY Gengar learns Curse. Its a clear suicide move, but would seal my victory against Curselax (assuming Garchomp is alive) or Cresselia. Maybe Curse over Substitute? I could even run Sitrus Berry and end up with 75% HP after a Curse. Not that Gengar can take a hit..

I'd definitely say Curse over Sub, although it really is just a Suicide move.

The biggest drawback you have right now is that you can't get the Platnium tutor moves. Superpower on Swine would seal CurseLax's defeat.

As for Gengar, I'd really suggest going with TBR's Gyarados, seeing as the support from Intimidate would be extremely helpful in shutting down Physical attackers. Finally, if you do run Sub over EQ, run Return over Stone Edge, the increased accuracy will really be a help in the hax-filled tower.
    "I'm fighting because there's a battle to be fought, Archer. I'm fighting to win. That's all."
    "Hm. Alright, Rin. You are indeed my ideal Master. There is no one else I could hope to serve."

I think I'm going to keep Gengar. Its speed is very useful, since a large number of battle tower pokes run Modest or Adamant he tend to outrun lots of things. I tried Gyarados out against some people on PBR and got raped. He just doesn't do much.

Maybe run Wide lens and give Gengar Hypnosis. 77% accuracy isn't THAT bad..

I can possibly get Superpower. I have Platinum, I just never finished it. lol.

Edit: Actually scarf Smeargle with Dark Void could almost work, if it wasn't for all my other pokemon gang-banging him with splash damage.
    Last edited by Blue Harvest; 7th March 2010 at 6:49 AM.

If you really aren't using that last slot on Mamoswine anymore, you can chuck in Reflect/Light Screen for some support. It may just come in handy, who knows.

~Awesomeness made by the talented GladeShadow~

Well I can try to get Superpower.

Would Wide Lens and Hypnosis work on Gengar? Hell, Wide Lens, Hypnosis and Curse could wipe the floor with three pokemon if I got lucky (though Gengar would die).

Gengar also gets Destiny Bond..

^ While a sleep move with 77% Accuracy is attractive, the Tower's Hax will lol at it regularly. Having said that, there don't seem to be many other options but it seems a slight waste of an item to use it for only one move. I'm not sure.

It'll be hard to use Destiny Bond well, as the AI can simply wait for a turn when you don't use it and kill you, as with Curse you will be often moving last. However, I'm not sure if the AI would actually be clever enough to use a move at the right time.

lol Gengar sucks. How about an Azelf? I could tack Protect on most of my pokes and just blow **** up. Flamethrower / Thunderbolt / Grass Knot hits enough to be an offensive threat, and I have a Naive Azelf with 28/28/28/28/21/31(speed). Not sure about the item.. Maybe Lum Berry, so it can take one Zapdos Discharge or a random Ice Beam without being ruined.

He doesn't really make me any more weak to Weavile either, since Azelf has slightly better defenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast