Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teaching the Student Teacher (635)

Altho I would have liked a great emphasis on Jess' contest, at least she has another ribbon. I'm kinda hoping she gets a big contest focus when she goes for her 5th, esp. if they have her face off w/ Ursula for it. I think those two were made to be rivals, and the dynamic of two "divas" competing is more intriguing than when they challenge Dawn. I do like that Seviper won it, now every Rocket poke has a ribbon except for Mime Jr. and Wobbuffet (seems like a good combo for appeal and battles, given Mime's cuteness and Wobby's counteriffic DEM).
    Dawn's plot had some funny bits at least. I lol'd at her scribbles, it's a nice touch when the anime has them act their age. Most 10 yr-olds are drawing super-accurately unless they are art prodigys. And the brat kid was also v. typical, sometimes kids just get in a teasing mood and are stubbon to authority. I'd give him some slack to grow out of that phase. It was a little creepy that he seemed to have an extra pair of eyebrows on his face... btwn that and mini-Ritchie these COTDs are the stuff of nightmares. o_O
    FRIEND CODES
    3265-5772-9903
    Diamond Version ~NatDex 493 Owned COMPLETE~
    0174-3499-2232
    Silver Version ~NatDex 493 Owned COMPLETE~

Wishvee eggs giveaway. Check online status to ensure trade.
        Spoiler:- Trade Offerings:

Spoiler:- Trade Requests:

Trades re-open. Plz inc FC and Time Zone w/ request. I am EST Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Ludi-Cola View Post
    Altho I would have liked a great emphasis on Jess' contest, at least she has another ribbon. I'm kinda hoping she gets a big contest focus when she goes for her 5th, esp. if they have her face off w/ Ursula for it. I think those two were made to be rivals, and the dynamic of two "divas" competing is more intriguing than when they challenge Dawn. I do like that Seviper won it, now every Rocket poke has a ribbon except for Mime Jr. and Wobbuffet (seems like a good combo for appeal and battles, given Mime's cuteness and Wobby's counteriffic DEM).
    Lets see:

Jessie #1: Dustox
    Jessie #2: Yanmega
    Jessie #3: Meowth
    Jessie #4: Seviper
    Jessie #5: The only pokemon Jessie owns that is left out is Wobbuffet.

I'm one of those that think that Carnivine and Manene aren't Jessie's own pokemon, so Wobbuffet deserves the win over them. I'd love a Jessie win over Ursula here, especially since Ursula is all about attacking full force. Wobbuffet with Counter would do much damage to Minun/Plusle or Gabite. Then Ursula can beat Jessie in the GF as a revenge kill, and beat Dawn after Dawn has beaten Zoey... *Letting Ursula lose 3 times against Dawn would make her a joke, which isn't fair.

Btw. What's up with the random usage of DEM today? I've seen it being used three times, today, in totally random posts..

It was a little creepy that he seemed to have an extra pair of eyebrows on his face... btwn that and mini-Ritchie these COTDs are the stuff of nightmares. o_O
    First it was the monobrow that was scary, and now it's the quadrubrow that's freaking everybody out? Make up your minds people! Haven't you noticed that our main character has been walking around with unexplicable Z's under his eyes for thirteen years, without anyone making a deal about it? What's up with that???

Anyway, you're scared of kids? I'd hate to see how you're childhood was like.. latent and mirror phase and all.. xD (<-that's psychoanalysis talk)
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

XD I was joking there (I think you are too?). Those kids are no uglier than the Bulldozer Face Man, or the guy in Pastoria who got a paint-edit b/c it was too blantant an anime reference. I want Wobby to do the battling segment at least, but think it'd be nice if Mime Jr was in the appeals so every Rocket poke, Jess & James' alike helped reach the GF.
    FRIEND CODES
    3265-5772-9903
    0174-3499-2232

Well I loved how it start, with Ash and Co. walking towards the beach at sunset to meet Johanna. I loved the Kanto music that played since it went perfectly with the beach setting. Then Dawn goes and greets her mother with a warm welcome, how sweet. Funny thing is that Johanna is the one who introduces the concept of the beach school to Ash and Co. via flier, it made it seem like the school was famous for some reason. Then Ash and Co. agreed to teach the class while Johanna was at the Contest?! Lol, I thought it was funny, since although they have experience, they'd agree to spend the day with a bunch of kids. Loved to hear Hikari's theme being played since it only plays in Contests.

When we finally meet the class in the morning, it only has about five students? Kind of a small class even for the tiny ocean community. When that meaning looking kid asks them about their accomplishements, both Dawn and Ash showed off their stash of ribbons and badges, which was pretty cool. Although it only pleased the other students and not the one asking the question haha. I thought it was hilarious that the kid pulled Piplup's face, it was mean but worth the wait! We got to finally see Jessie compete in another Contest. Her Seviper appeal that started with golden lightning wings was pretty cool, sicne it showed a land Pokemon with sky attributes. Too bad we didn't get to see her real appeal not her first Contest battle, everything was too rushed :S

When we got back to the beach, Brock taught some kids about Pokemon food which is a sub catogory of Pokemon breeding. Hilarious to see that Piplup had been drawn on whilst he slept, Piplup abuse is always cute and funny. But I though Ash's lecture on Gible was a tad bit more funny, not just because Gible bit Ash again, but because it had that emotionless stare and then it looked like Ash slapped it's behind during one of those scenes. During aim practice, there was this Irish-like melody that played, it was great! Never thought I'd hear such music in the anime! Seeing Piplup getting hit on the head again was funnier still! This episode was actually pretty pleasant. Glad Dawn developed a new technique even though it took several tries to make it perfect and that Jessie won the 4th ribbon at the end of the shenanigans (and a complement from Johanna). 10/10 pretty great.
    Last edited by Lorde; 15th March 2010 at 9:48 AM.

XD I was joking there (I think you are too?). Those kids are no uglier than the Bulldozer Face Man, or the guy in Pastoria who got a paint-edit b/c it was too blantant an anime reference. I want Wobby to do the battling segment at least, but think it'd be nice if Mime Jr was in the appeals so every Rocket poke, Jess & James' alike helped reach the GF.
    Sure I was joking xD

I was reading the Pocketto Monster Phantom Ruler Z thread a while back, and somebody showed a picture of a close up of Ash's cheeks.. you're post reminded me of the weird anime faces we've seen over the years, and the monobrow being universally shunned upon, well, everywhere except Sesamestreet. Hi there Bert!

Also, I don't hope that you had a horrible childhood, but I guess that if you grew up in animeland, it would freak you out then, or at least be marvelled at the uglyness of those kids xD

Yup, Manene needs something as well, but Wobbuffet got treated so bad after its loss.. It needs it more, besides I can see Manene leaving any time now.. It doesn't even appear as much as it did.. sad though
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

It's all good. When you think of it, many anime charas are weirdlooking. Sometimes they explain the marking (Naruto's "whiskers" are the 1st example I think of), sometimes it's just left as a design choice (Dragonball's Krillin. He has no nose at all but he's one of a handful of HUMAN Z-Warriors? Yeah ok... love the series anyway)
    When I first watched animes I didn't realy pay attention tho. I was little and had fun. This was a good ep. I liked the kid drawing on Piplup as a prank, reminded me of Jigglypuff. Too bad the marker wasn't shaped liked a microphone but that's probly too old a joke by now.
    Last edited by Ludi-Cola; 17th March 2010 at 1:02 PM.
    FRIEND CODES
    3265-5772-9903
    0174-3499-2232

I think this episode told us more about the anime's version of Pokemon Breeding than the previous 10+ years of episodes combined.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I thought this was a pretty good filler. That little kid messing with Piplup was funny and I'm glad he learned to like pokemon in the end. Jessie winning a ribbon is always good and it was nice to see Dawn training and coming up with ideas for the GF. Overall this was a really nice episode.

Not a pretty bad episode. It was interesting to see Johanna again, and knowning she teaches kids in a Pokemon class. At first, I didn't realize this was the contest Jessie enters, when Johanna got a call she needs to sub for Nurse Joy in the Neighborly Contest.

When Ash and the gang taught the kids through the episode, it was pretty cool. Glad to see Thomas was able to teach Dawn whats up with her Ice Chandelier combination. But glad to see it worked out in the end.

Plus, yay for Jessie winning her 4th Ribbon! Cannot wait till her 5th one.

And at the end, aw snap, Johanna hands Dawn a box that contains her Dress for the Grand Festival. That's going to be amazing!
    Last edited by the1stpkmnfan; 7th August 2010 at 2:02 PM.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

This was a pretty good episode. I liked how the writers did something to showcase the beach-like area between Valor Lakefront & Sunyshore City which is present in Pok&#233;mon Diamond, Pearl & Platinum Versions! Now onto the episode.

The animation was great and was nice to see Dawn perfect a new combination for the upcoming Sinnoh Grand Festival! Thomas seemed like an interesting character. Nice to see that Jessie won her Fourth Sinnoh Region Ribbon! Now she only needs one more to qualify for the Sinnoh Grand Festival.
    10/10

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

I was expecting another swimsuit episode, but I thought wrong. Who knew that throwing a pokeball actually requires practice?

It was a good episode. Dawn makes a new contest technique in this episode, which is pretty neat. And Jessie wins her 4th ribbon in this episode. Things are going pretty well.

Dawn really wonders why Thomas only picks on Piplup? It's simple! It's just good television!
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

This episode was ok. I don't really have much commentary other than the lack of Team Rocket appearances, Dawn's "ice chandelier", and the fact that I hated Thomas.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

This has to be the anime version of route 222. Good episode. Since Dawn created a new combo I guess it's not a filler.

It was nice of the writers to add a breeding portion to the class so that Brock would have something to do.

Jessie won her 4th ribbon, so it's safe to assume she'll win her 5th before the GF. Johanna even complemented her, which was nice.

Thomas was a jerk to Piplup, but Brock explained that he must have liked Piplup all along, but since he didn't know how to express his feelings he just teased Piplup out of frustration. That sounds a lot like the members of this forum.

Time to continue towards the Sea Side Resort for the GF.
    I've officially claimed Swampert!

Quote Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
    Who knew that throwing a pokeball actually requires practice?
    Yeah....as a contest episode, it was already g*y, but that Pokeball-throwy-training thingy made it worse, and then this absolute motherf*cking gem summed up the entire episode:

"I call it flame-ice, because its a flame....in ice!"

it was an ok episoed not going on my fave list but I LOL when the kid said his name is Thomas cuz my best friend is named Thomas now if they can name a cotd Mike then all 3 of my best friends names and my name have been used in DP

Quote Originally Posted by d4rk_tailed View Post
    "I call it flame-ice, because its a flame....in ice!"
    That line will certainly go down in history as one of the most ridiculous lines of all time.

At least ice chandelier was a bit more creative.

Title correction - Teaching the Student Teacher

A couple of things are unclear in this episode.

1. I still don't understand Brock's explanation of "air pocket" thingy difference between ice shard and ice beam. What did he mean by less air pocket from ice shard that caused Pachirisu to spin and get dizzy, but it could run in circle like a roller coaster inside the spherical ice beam? How is it physically possible to freeze around an object with a big air pocket in between?

2. How can you like someone but in frustration you tease them instead as a way to show that you like them? What is the psychological phenomenon behind this?

Apart from that I liked this episode for the fact that that cute little rodent got a decent amount of screentime instead of rotting inside its pokeball.
    "Your signature was too epic! My epeen couldn't handle its epicness" - so called half-arsed mod (they know who they are)

Quote Originally Posted by poizonsting View Post
    Title correction - Teaching the Student Teacher

A couple of things are unclear in this episode.

1. I still don't understand Brock's explanation of "air pocket" thingy difference between ice shard and ice beam. What did he mean by less air pocket from ice shard that caused Pachirisu to spin and get dizzy, but it could run in circle like a roller coaster inside the spherical ice beam? How is it physically possible to freeze around an object with a big air pocket in between?

2. How can you like someone but in frustration you tease them instead as a way to show that you like them? What is the psychological phenomenon behind this?

Apart from that I liked this episode for the fact that that cute little rodent got a decent amount of screentime instead of rotting inside its pokeball.
    1. I assumed that Brock meant that Buneary was able to create a larger sphere of ice with her Ice Beam than Mamoswine could make with Ice Shard and so there was more room for Pachirisu to run. By air pocket I assumed he meant the hallow space within the ice.

2. I isn't too unheard of. I've heard multiple times that when a kid teases someone it means they like them. People usually say this for younger kids, because they're not sure how to express how they feel or they're embarrassed so they do things like pull the persons hair or push them to get their attention. Google it. I'm sure you'll find a few articles on the subject.
    Last edited by Swampert_trainer; 8th August 2010 at 7:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampert_trainer View Post
    1. I assumed that Brock meant that Buneary was able to create a larger sphere of ice with her Ice Beam than Mamoswine could make with Ice Shard and so there was more room for Pachirisu to run. By air pocket I assumed he meant the hallow space within the ice.

2. I isn't too unheard of. I've heard multiple times that when a kid teases someone it means they like them. People usually say this for younger kids, because they're not sure how to express how they feel or they're embarrassed so they do things like pull the persons hair or push them to get their attention. Google it. I'm sure you'll find a few articles on the subject.
    1. Yeah, but given the circumstances it's not physically possible to freeze the air leaving an air pocket in the center. Try making some ice crystals with hollow inside at home by freezing water. I mean that ice beam shoudl have frozen the immediate surrounding around Pachirisu, leaving it no room to move at all.

2. I know what you mean. When a boy likes a girl or vice versa they tease each other. But psychologically speaking it could mean they hate each other instead. It could go either way (either they like each other OR they hate each other). Here Brock made an assumption that Thomas liked the penguin all along, which might not be true. Thomas might have hated him in the beginning, but that changed later when he hugged the penguin oblivious to the fact that who he hugged
    "Your signature was too epic! My epeen couldn't handle its epicness" - so called half-arsed mod (they know who they are)

I liked this episode. I thought it was a brilliant way to introduce Ice Chandelier.
    Although I'm a little confused about the whole Ice Shard/Ice Beam thing in a later episode, but won't say since this isn't spoilers section.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

This is another one of those boring contest training episodes that is a chore to watch. Only good thing was Jessie's next ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMinun View Post
    I liked this episode. I thought it was a brilliant way to introduce Ice Chandelier.
    Although I'm a little confused about the whole Ice Shard/Ice Beam thing in a later episode, but won't say since this isn't spoilers section.
    Did you notice that this thread already contains potential spoilers? This thread was created on 11th of March - which is when it was aired in Japan. People have been commenting since then, which means there are already lots of spoilers

It was a good episode, decent and entertaining!

The thing I liked most about it was the gorgeous setting at that seaside. It was drawn beautifully and created a feeling inside me that made me long for vacation at the beach as well.
    I especially like that restaurant with its chair and umbrellas at the beach plus the awesome sunset. It certainly must be a great vacation resort!

As for the plot: I initially thought that this was going to be another "school-episode", but thank God I was wrong!
    Frankly, it was a pretty good idea to have our heroes be in complete charge of a few kinds instead of just having them present something in front of a class like in "Classroom Training" in Snowpoint City.

Ash's comment that you have to pose before you throw a Pokeball and his posing afterwards were hilarious! Now we know why he loves posing that much! Got a little showman in you, Ash?

It was also nice to see Jessie win her 4th ribbon. Great that she finally decided to play fair!

There was only one thing which kind of bugged me. User "poizonsting" already mentioned it:
    I agree wholeheartedly!
    I've been trying to explain the logic of Pokemon battles for ages and I also made a special thread for that very purpose on bulbagarden, but I have absolutely no clue how that combination could be done or explained.I guess, this was flawed logic, which is a pity.

But all in all a decent episode!
    6.5 out of 10 points
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999

Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast