Page 356 of 359 FirstFirst ... 256306346352353354355356357358359 LastLast
Results 8,876 to 8,900 of 8957

Thread: Official Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle12 View Post
    I just caught the red gyarados and put him in for togetic... Good choice?
    You mean on the GTS? You probably wont get anything, it's not like the shiny Gyarados are rare.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

No I put him in my party for togetic

I recently began to attempt EV training, though all the numbers involved in it confuse me. I'm currently training a Calm Umbreon with a Macho Brace at route 41, and fighting all the pokemon there to max out its Sp. Def EV's. I haven't kept track of how many Tentacool/ tentacruel/ Mantine I've fought, though. I figured that once the stat I wanted was maxed out, the points for EV's would be distributed automatically to any other stat. What I want to know is if I should be keeping track of the Pokemon I fight to know when to stop, or if I'm ok going in semi-blind, just knowing I'm boosting a certain stat I want, and leaving it to Umbreon's nature to level up its defense, to a decent level, while I'm grinding for its Sp. Def. Currently, my Umbreon is lv. 22 with 77HP/ 29 Atk/ 55 Def/ 36 Sp. Atk/ 81 Sp/ Def/ 34 Spd. Is this good or bad?

I'm also worried about the lv. 3 Hoothoot I fought while it was in its pre-evolved form, to be able to get it to evolve into Umbreon. I don't know what stat boosting EV Hoothoot drops, but should I be worried about it too much, since I only fought 1, and 4 points are needed to raise a stat by 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Missingno View Post
    I figured that once the stat I wanted was maxed out, the points for EV's would be distributed automatically to any other stat.
    No they wont, those Pokemon only give Special Defense EVs, they can't go in any other stat.

What I want to know is if I should be keeping track of the Pokemon I fight to know when to stop, or if I'm ok going in semi-blind, just knowing I'm boosting a certain stat I want, and leaving it to Umbreon's nature to level up its defense, to a decent level, while I'm grinding for its Sp. Def. Currently, my Umbreon is lv. 22 with 77HP/ 29 Atk/ 55 Def/ 36 Sp. Atk/ 81 Sp/ Def/ 34 Spd. Is this good or bad?
    No way to tell whether that's good or bad without knowing its IVs or EVs.

I'm also worried about the lv. 3 Hoothoot I fought while it was in its pre-evolved form, to be able to get it to evolve into Umbreon. I don't know what stat boosting EV Hoothoot drops, but should I be worried about it too much, since I only fought 1, and 4 points are needed to raise a stat by 1?
    You can only gain a maximum of 510 EVs, so that Hoothoot has taken away from your max.

You should really do some more research, and make sure you're counting and aware of what you're fighting while doing it.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    No they wont, those Pokemon only give Special Defense EVs, they can't go in any other stat.

No way to tell whether that's good or bad without knowing its IVs or EVs.

You can only gain a maximum of 510 EVs, so that Hoothoot has taken away from your max.

You should really do some more research, and make sure you're counting and aware of what you're fighting while doing it.
    So what happens if I max out the Sp. Def but keep fighting the pokemon that drop the sp. Def ev's?

Darn. Was worried about that, though I still should be ok, right, if Hoothoot didn't drop any EV's that would hinder my Umbreon's defense stats? Like I said, I don't know what types of EV's it gives. And hopefully, if I'm EVing right- there should be 6 EV's leftover to allocate to any random stat after I max out 2 others with 252 each, I've read.

How would I determine Umbreon's EV's/ IV's in HG or SS? I tried doing as much research as I could, before I attempted to train it; and got a good grasp on what nature I wanted to look and breed for- which was very time consuming- and the stats that were most beneficial to that nature, along with which pokemon dropped the EV's I was looking for to boost the stats i wanted, but there's still much I don't quite get, so I appreciate you taking your time to better explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Missingno View Post
    So what happens if I max out the Sp. Def but keep fighting the pokemon that drop the sp. Def ev's?
    Nothing happens, once you've got max EVs in a stat (255), it wont increase any more.

Darn. Was worried about that, though I still should be ok, right, if Hoothoot didn't drop any EV's that would hinder my Umbreon's defense stats? Like I said, I don't know what types of EV's it gives. And hopefully, if I'm EVing right- there should be 6 EV's leftover to allocate to any random stat after I max out 2 others with 252 each, I've read.
    Hoothoot gives 1 HP EV, if your Umbreon was still holding the Macho Brace at the time then it would have gotten 2 HP EVs. Whenever your Pokemon gain experience they gain EVs, only exception being if that stat already has max EVs.

How would I determine Umbreon's EV's/ IV's in HG or SS? I tried doing as much research as I could, before I attempted to train it; and got a good grasp on what nature I wanted to look and breed for- which was very time consuming- and the stats that were most beneficial to that nature, along with which pokemon dropped the EV's I was looking for to boost the stats i wanted, but there's still much I don't quite get, so I appreciate you taking your time to better explain.
    You would have had to be counting all EVs you've received. If you've only been fighting Tentacruel, Tentacool, Mantine and that one Hoothoot then, depending on how many Tentacruel, Tentacool and Mantine you've fought you probably have 255 Special Defense EVs and 2 HP EVs.

You can use this calculator to find IVs: http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

And I would recommend you read both of these pages on EVs and IVs.

What should I use my masterball on? I already caught Ho oh

Whatever you want, it doesn't really matter.

I would save it for a shiny!

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but does anybody have any help they could offer in connecting to the GTS in HeartGold?

Been wanting to see what I can get out of it before they close it next month but I get a connection error every time I try to access it. I've read that your wireless router needs to use WEP in order to connect, though I've tried setting it to that with still no luck in accessing. Any help (or a point in the right direction on where to seek help if this isn't the sort of thing to ask in this thread) would be appreciated!
    3DS Friend Code: 0490-5590-8470
    Pokemon in safari: Doduo, Hoothoot, Tropius
    Random encounter shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this but does anybody have any help they could offer in connecting to the GTS in HeartGold?

Been wanting to see what I can get out of it before they close it next month but I get a connection error every time I try to access it. I've read that your wireless router needs to use WEP in order to connect, though I've tried setting it to that with still no luck in accessing. Any help (or a point in the right direction on where to seek help if this isn't the sort of thing to ask in this thread) would be appreciated!
    We'd need a lot more information than 'I get a connection error".

We'd need a lot more information than 'I get a connection error".
    It states: "No compatible access point in range. Check your connection settings and try again." with an error code of 51099 though I have no issues utilizing the wireless functionality in my gen 5 and 6 games. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    It states: "No compatible access point in range. Check your connection settings and try again." with an error code of 51099 though I have no issues utilizing the wireless functionality in my gen 5 and 6 games. Any ideas?
    You're certain you've switched the routers encryption method to WEP? I would try leaving it unsecured first, just to see if you can pick it up that way.

Yep, my 3ds automatically discovered it as WEP as well. I also tried unsecured after that and still no luck. Not sure what the next step would be here...is part of the issue that I'm using a 3ds rather than a ds?

EDIT: Turns out that yes, wireless connection settings on the 3ds are indeed separate for regular ds games :P not sure why i never had issues with white and white 2 in that regard, though...
    Last edited by soundsci; 28th December 2013 at 10:16 PM.

What do I do after beating the Kimono girls? Lyra won't let me surf from New Bark Town to Victory Road

Quote Originally Posted by Unoin View Post
    What do I do after beating the Kimono girls? Lyra won't let me surf from New Bark Town to Victory Road
    You need to battle and possibly catch the Legendary on the Cover of you game. Head to the Whirl Islands in Soul Silver to get Lugia, and up the Ecruteak City's Bell Tower in Heart Gold to get Ho-oh.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    You need to battle and possibly catch the Legendary on the Cover of you game. Head to the Whirl Islands in Soul Silver to get Lugia, and up the Ecruteak City's Bell Tower in Heart Gold to get Ho-oh.
    Encountering a legendary should only happen after you become champion, but I will obey this illogical plot!

Encountering a legendary should only happen after you become champion, but I will obey this illogical plot!
    It has always been this way.

It has always been this way.
    Yeah but this time you are forced to encounter one at a specific point. All the other times it was up to you, the point where you encountered one

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but would anyone be able to trade me a low level dratini for a reasonable pokemon on soul silver please? I've tried playing voltorb flip but I always lose and just want to get a dragon type early on.

Yeah but this time you are forced to encounter one at a specific point. All the other times it was up to you, the point where you encountered one
    You probably shouldn't play Black, White, Black 2, White 2, X, or Y then, because Gen V forces you to catch the legendary before the E4, and Gen VI forces you to encounter it and battle/catch it before the E4.

Quote Originally Posted by Caremal5 View Post
    Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but would anyone be able to trade me a low level dratini for a reasonable pokemon on soul silver please? I've tried playing voltorb flip but I always lose and just want to get a dragon type early on.
    I can't trade on Soul Silver, but if you want to win Voltorb Flip, you can "cheat" and use this website: Voltorb Flip Solver. Keep in mind that sometimes, especially on the harder levels, some of the choices are up to chance (i.e., they can be more than one thing), and so the calculator isn't always correct. But it is massively helpful.

If you still want to trade, go to the 4th Gen Trade Forums.
    Last edited by varanus_komodoensis; 11th January 2014 at 6:51 PM.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

That solver is completely useless, it got all of the locations wrong and only completes half of the game aswell... This is why I asked to trade and not waste time playing some game of chance and losing every single time.

Looking for someone to loan me a Kyogre from heart gold to unlock the rayquaza event, pm me

Quote Originally Posted by Caremal5 View Post
    That solver is completely useless, it got all of the locations wrong and only completes half of the game aswell... This is why I asked to trade and not waste time playing some game of chance and losing every single time.
    I found a bit of a system for the game, it's not entirely foolproof, but it helps. So far I managed to get well over 30 000 coins.
    Step 1: If a row has no voltorbs in it, open it, all of them.
    Step 2: If the number of both voltorbs and numbers equals five mark it off, I usually do this with the sign fo voltorbs, there's nothing interesting in those lines to find.
    Step 3: Looks where the lines with the most points intercept and open the tile, usually it results in a two or three. Now let's say a line has four points and two voltorbs after you find the two pointer the rest of that line is useless, mark it off. Same if you have found one three pointer or two two pointers in a line in which the nmber of points and voltorbs equals seven, the rest of the line becomes uninteresting and mark it off. By marking it off it's easier to see at which spots you need to be looking.

This works most of the time. It has gotten me to level 8.

Now I have a question. Is there a good strategy to capture the pokémon with a higher flee rate in the safari zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mera View Post
    Now I have a question. Is there a good strategy to capture the pokémon with a higher flee rate in the safari zone?
    The best has pretty much been to try alternating between feeding them and throwing stuff at them. There's really no guaranteed strategy, though. Just chuck balls.

Page 356 of 359 FirstFirst ... 256306346352353354355356357358359 LastLast