Page 442 of 525 FirstFirst ... 342392432438439440441442443444445446452492 ... LastLast
Results 11,026 to 11,050 of 13114

Thread: Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Welcome to Monster Hunter. That is the game. It doesn't teach you, you have to learn. Once you have, it's incredibly rewarding. It's like the real world in that sense.
    It's one thing having to learn tactics and stuff to defeat enemies. Having to blindly figure out how to work the damn game is cheap difficulty. If they're not going to give you a tutorial, that's fine, but not telling you controls is cheap difficulty, especially if they're going to make the most basic of actions so befuddling to the player.

Personally if I wanted the real world with crazy animals out to kill me, I'd move to Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    It's one thing having to learn tactics and stuff to defeat enemies. Having to blindly figure out how to work the damn game is cheap difficulty. If they're not going to give you a tutorial, that's fine, but not telling you controls is cheap difficulty, especially if they're going to make the most basic of actions so befuddling to the player.
    The weapon controls are listed in the virtual manual included with the demo.

That said, it can take quite a while to remember them all.

If you want tutorials, the actual game as a Training School that'll teach you the basics of each weapon. Considering the amount of weapon types and the depth each allows, it is beyond the scope of a demo to include them. Besides which, that was part of the magic of older games. There was no direction, you were dropped into a game and you learned as you went. There are only four face buttons, it doesn't take long to figure out how to survive, becoming skilled takes time. By the time you're skilled though, you've earned it. You're skilled because you're skilled, not because the game spoon fed you.

Don't write it off your first time playing like so many do, it's not a game like you're used to, one that's not really a challenge at all, but one that has real depth and a real sense of reward. Obviously, if that doesn't sound appealing to you then yes, you may as well give up. But don't give up simply because you disagree with the demo's lack of guidance.

If you're interested in trying again, I recommend using Longswords, they're very forgiving. Combining good power with good manoeuvrability. After drawing your weapon with X, both X and B will perform various combos, pressing the two together will allow you to backstep.

TL;DR I hate to see people give up on Monster Hunter. It's hard, but it makes you feel really good.

EDIT: That's what she said.
    Last edited by Hydrohs; 8th March 2013 at 3:58 AM.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

If you want tutorials, the actual game as a Training School that'll teach you the basics of each weapon. Considering the amount of weapon types and the depth each allows, it is beyond the scope of a demo to include them. Besides which, that was part of the magic of older games. There was no direction, you were dropped into a game and you learned as you went. There are only four face buttons, it doesn't take long to figure out how to survive, becoming skilled takes time. By the time you're skilled though, you've earned it. You're skilled because you're skilled, not because the game spoon fed you.

Don't write it off your first time playing like so many do, it's not a game like you're used to, one that's not really a challenge at all, but one that has real depth and a real sense of reward. Obviously, if that doesn't sound appealing to you then yes, you may as well give up. But don't give up simply because you disagree with the demo's lack of guidance.

If you're interested in trying again, I recommend using Longswords, they're very forgiving. Combining good power with good manoeuvrability. After drawing your weapon with X, both X and B will perform various combos, pressing the two together will allow you to backstep.

TL;DR I hate to see people give up on Monster Hunter. It's hard, but it makes you feel really good.
    The lack of tutorials isn't what bugs me about the demo, I can figure things out on my own just fine. It's that they don't tell you the controls. At the very least, any combat based game should tell you how to attack if it isn't already obvious.

The lack of tutorials isn't what bugs me about the demo, I can figure things out on my own just fine. It's that they don't tell you the controls. At the very least, any combat based game should tell you how to attack if it isn't already obvious.
    You contradict yourself, but I suppose 4 buttons might be wayy to hard to figure out huh.
    Add me on Pokemon X! FC- 2809-9372-1773

Looking For Shiny Tyrunt!

Quote Originally Posted by [ACE] Zero View Post
    You contradict yourself,
    I didn't.

Gameplay mechanics and things of that nature can be learned by playing the game, you don't need a tutorial for that.

Controls, however, pretty much needed to be explained in some way. My particular experience with this demo is a great example why, without them telling you what button you use to attack, you're left helplessly experimenting with different buttons until you figure out what works, all while the enemy is busy draining your health. That's not really fair to a beginner.

but I suppose 4 buttons might be wayy to hard to figure out huh.
    It's not just 4 buttons, because you also have L and R (and sometimes have Start and Select, as well as menus). But anyway, according to Hydrohs, it's a specific button combination that triggers an attack, not just a button. And that makes things much more complicated because with multiple button presses, you go from having 6 possibilities to 36. Furthermore, having such a basic action be mapped to a button combination is counterintuitive, you expect to be able to basic actions like attacking without much trial and error.

I didn't.

Gameplay mechanics and things of that nature can be learned by playing the game, you don't need a tutorial for that.

Controls, however, pretty much needed to be explained in some way. My particular experience with this demo is a great example why, without them telling you what button you use to attack, you're left helplessly experimenting with different buttons until you figure out what works, all while the enemy is busy draining your health. That's not really fair to a beginner.

It's not just 4 buttons, because you also have L and R (and sometimes have Start and Select, as well as menus). But anyway, according to Hydrohs, it's a specific button combination that triggers an attack, not just a button. And that makes things much more complicated because with multiple button presses, you go from having 6 possibilities to 36. Furthermore, having such a basic action be mapped to a button combination is counterintuitive, you expect to be able to basic actions like attacking without much trial and error.
    In the end its just a demo, what you do in it doesnt actually affect any gameplay, think of it as a warm up for the actual game, by then you will be a button combo master prestige and wont need any tutorials at all, k?

In the end its just a demo, what you do in it doesnt actually affect any gameplay, think of it as a warm up for the actual game, by then you will be a button combo master prestige and wont need any tutorials at all, k?
    Yeah, but the purpose of a demo is to give you a taste of the gameplay so you can decide whether or not to purchase. Having attacking moves so difficult to figure out makes it too difficult for newbies to explore what the gameplay has to offer.

Yeah, but the purpose of a demo is to give you a taste of the gameplay so you can decide whether or not to purchase. Having attacking moves so difficult to figure out makes it too difficult for newbies to explore what the gameplay has to offer.
    Never judge a game by a demo, thats dumb, check out reviews, Youtube, Google the button configuration, do stuff.

I guess he missed my previous comment entirely.

In any case, one is perfectly capable of pausing the game at any time with the home button to view the game instructions. Which I found myself having to do often for quite a few of the melee weapons. It never really occurred to me how simple the Bowgun controls are compared to most of the other weapons, since I almost never used anything other then those in Tri.

As Rakurai said, if you want to read about it, check the manual. But there are not 36 possible combinations. X is your main attack button, A is the second, there are some weapons that may employ R. You can start out just pressing X though, if you'd rather. You can learn the combos as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post

In any case, one is perfectly capable of pausing the game at any time with the home button to view the game instructions. Which I found myself having to do often for quite a few of the melee weapons. It never really occurred to me how simple the Bowgun controls are compared to most of the other weapons, since I almost never used anything other then those in Tri.
    Wait. You're actually a Bowgun user?

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Yeah. Largely because they were pretty unpopular, and partly because there's something satisfying about shooting monsters in the face.

Probably going to play with light and heavy bowguns equally once I get Ultimate. As far as melee weapons go, I'll give the sword and shield and hunting horn a go eventually, since I felt the most comfortable with those in the demo, plus they're also pretty uncommon.

I'm still new to the whole Monster Hunter games so excuse me if this is a stupid question. I probably already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyways.

Are you able to change your weapon to something else whenever, or is it were you choose a weapon and can't change it unless you make an new game file?
    Example: I chose Long Sword then want to change to Heavy Bowgun.

That's true, however when it comes to controls not every game has the same set up. Especially when your playing something completely different from what your use to.
    I'm a perfect example for this since I'm new to Monster Hunter. At first when I played the demo of course the controls were so confusing to me... at first. It took me a couple times to finally figure everything out that's why they call it trial an error. It's funny though I kept pressing Y for some reason thinking that pulled out my weapon since you hold it to put it away, so I used potions when I didn't need it such a waste lol. Besides once you've figured out the controls it's just as simply as any other game you play.
    If your impatient and want to figure out the controls quickly without figuring it out on your own you can do what both Hydrohs and Rakurai have said.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post

You can do that for demos? I did not know that.

As Rakurai said, if you want to read about it, check the manual. But there are not 36 possible combinations. X is your main attack button, A is the second, there are some weapons that may employ R. You can start out just pressing X though, if you'd rather. You can learn the combos as you go.
    When I said "36 combinations", I meant for the DS as a whole. If you don't know how to attack and you're just pushing buttons, there are a ton of two button combinations that could theoretically do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyon View Post
    That's true, however when it comes to controls not every game has the same set up. Especially when your playing something completely different from what your use to.
    I'm a perfect example for this since I'm new to Monster Hunter. At first when I played the demo of course the controls were so confusing to me... at first. It took me a couple times to finally figure everything out that's why they call it trial an error. It's funny though I kept pressing Y for some reason thinking that pulled out my weapon since you hold it to put it away, so I used potions when I didn't need it such a waste lol. Besides once you've figured out the controls it's just as simply as any other game you play.
    If your impatient and want to figure out the controls quickly without figuring it out on your own you can do what both Hydrohs and Rakurai have said.
    I know all this, but forcing someone to fiddle around with controls while they're being attacked because the game doesn't tell you what to do is cheap and unfair.

As other people have said, read the virtual manual. Just focus on learning one class at a time though.
    Also, another thing to note is that big monsters like the Logombi will take ages to defeat and you will need a lot of potions, evading and defence since even it's weakest attacks can 4KO you. It took me some 16 minutes of constant slashing and dodging with my Sword and shield to finally defeat him. And I must say, after taking my time with learning the controls, defeating it was indeed deeply satisfying.

Have another go at the demo and make sure that 1. you definitely know how to use weapon and 2. go immediately to the Logombi and relentlessly chase him down as you'll need all the time you can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Where do you guys buy the 3ds eshop cards? I cant seem to find them anywhere.
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL

I believe I spotted some at WalMart.

Quote Originally Posted by jonman721 View Post
    Walmart, Target, Gamestop, and Best Buy would be good places to start. I know there's some at the Target across the street from me.

Quote Originally Posted by jonman721 View Post
    You can find them at pretty much any retail store, especially video game retail stores. Finding them at places like Wal-Mart you just simply locate where the gift cards are, or go back to the Electronic's and find the games.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo

I know all this, but forcing someone to fiddle around with controls while they're being attacked because the game doesn't tell you what to do is cheap and unfair.
    I actually like games that don't teach you how to do everything so then you'll discover everything on your own. It's how I've always played games, if they give a tutorial at the start it's fine, but if it's an option then I'll skip over it. The only time I'll use the tutorials is if I have absolutely no idea on how to play and it's frustrating me which rarely ever happens.

That's a little over dramatic saying it's cheap and unfair just because they don't tell you how to do everything, or even give you the simple controls.
    -Mewtwo

That's a little over dramatic saying it's cheap and unfair just because they don't tell you how to do everything, or even give you the simple controls.
    For the last time, I do not care if the game does not explain its mechanics, and I agree that it can be more rewarding to figure them out yourself. Not giving you the controls is an entirely different matter, especially in this case when something so crucial to the gameplay is made so unintuitive, it's just really cheap to fiddle around with the controls to figure it out. Basic actions should not be this hard to figure out.

I don't think anyone actually saw my question about Monster Hunter 3U lol.
    I'm still new to the whole Monster Hunter games so excuse me if this is a stupid question. I probably already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyways.

Are you able to change your weapon to something else whenever, or is it were you choose a weapon and can't change it unless you make an new game file?
    -Mewtwo

For the last time, I do not care if the game does not explain its mechanics, and I agree that it can be more rewarding to figure them out yourself. Not giving you the controls is an entirely different matter, especially in this case when something so crucial to the gameplay is made so unintuitive, it's just really cheap to fiddle around with the controls to figure it out. Basic actions should not be this hard to figure out.
    There is a manual that comes with each downloaded game, you know...just go to the game on the touch screen and a manual option will appear at the bottom.

Though, it would be nice if they explained it in the game itself. No one ever uses manuals....and I also found the game demo to be rather bland. Too quiet.

I don't think anyone actually saw my question about Monster Hunter 3U lol.

You're free to switch to whatever weapon you want between quests.

Ultimate is nice in this regard, as they have a basic weapon of every type in the storage box from the get-go, unlike Tri, where you need to make them all.

Page 442 of 525 FirstFirst ... 342392432438439440441442443444445446452492 ... LastLast