Page 506 of 526 FirstFirst ... 406456496502503504505506507508509510516 ... LastLast
Results 12,626 to 12,650 of 13143

Thread: Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    I don't know if it was a fad necessarily. People laughed at Nintendo for having a Rumble Pak accessory for N64 controllers and now that rumble feature is built into practically every home console controller.

But removing the 3D, along with some other changes, allowed them to significantly lower the price (during xmas sales, it was as low as $99) and completely eliminate the questions surrounding 3D exposure and developing eyes. I purchased a 2DS this Christmas for a local children's hospital. Even though the 3D can be disabled on the regular 3ds/XL, I wouldn't take that risk in providing that to them. And I've met more than one parent with kids at Starbucks and McDonalds who say they purchased the 2DS for their kid specifically because of the low price.

I still love my XL, but the little experience I have with the 2DS has been pretty good. If I was getting into the market now, it'd be a very hard decision between the two versions.

Also, FWIW: Target seems to have an exclusive 2DS deal that comes with Pokemon X/Y pre-installed for $150. That's....not a whole lot of a discount from a regularly priced $120 or whatever console, but it is a bit of a discount.
    Look at my post above you. I completely agreed with Nintendo getting rid of the 3DS altogether on the new model, thus reducing the price by what, ~$50? And for an adult like you, I don't think choosing between a 3DS XL or 2DS is hard. You want 3D? Great, here's the 3DS XL! You don't give a rat's butt about 3D? There's the 2DS, for much cheaper too, and you can use the $50 difference to buy a new retail game! See? Easy.

As for that deal, just get a normal 2DS plus a game. Register them to Club Nintendo, and you'll get a free download code for X or Y. Two games already for what it would normally cost anyways.

...unless that deal nets you BOTH X and Y. Download Pokébank, and you won't need more than 1 2/3DS to transfer anymore! (You're screwed over with Pokémons who evolve by trade though haha)
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

I guess I alerted the horde. Anyway, yeah some games are cool in 3D and all. But that's it. It adds nothing else, it's just a cool little thing that they can put in a game. It's really dumb to base your system on it. I thought this was pretty clear to everyone, Nintendo basically admitted this by releasing the 2DS, but I guess some people are too slow. Not just that, with DK:TF, a first party, they pretty much said it themselves "the game pad is useless, sorry". The only good game that takes advantage of the 3D is Super Mario 3D Land, the 3D makes it really easy to judge the distance between jumps. The DS on the other hand added touch screen and that expanded the gameplay options a lot, games like Rhythm Heaven, Kirby Canvas Curse, The World Ends With You, Ivy the Kiwi, all work really well with the touchscreen.

Oh and to promote a system called 3DS by saying "you can just turn the 3D off" really isn't the smartest thing.
    Last edited by Axel.; 10th March 2014 at 7:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axel. View Post
    I guess I alerted the horde. Anyway, yeah some games are cool in 3D and all. But that's it. It adds nothing else, it's just a cool little thing that they can put in a game.
    Incredibly, that wasn't your message at all. "The horde" was calling you out on some utterly indefensible logic.

Nintendo basically admitted this by releasing the 2DS, but I guess some people are too slow.
    Not quite. Has nothing to do with you calling people slow, which goes alongside the rest of your comments.

Oh and to promote a system called 3DS by saying "you can just turn the 3D off" really isn't the smartest thing.
    None of us are responsible for promoting the system. Telling you that you can turn the 3D off is no different than telling you that there's a volume slider if you don't like the music of a given game.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Incredibly, that wasn't your message at all. "The horde" was calling you out on some utterly indefensible logic.
    That is exactly the problem, it's an opinion. Me not liking 3D has nothing to do with you liking it or not. The dumb logic here is you treating my opinion as a fact.

Not quite. Has nothing to do with you calling people slow, which goes alongside the rest of your comments.
    Explain to me how the release of 2DS has nothing to do with Nintendo practically giving up on 3D. They only still have it because they have no choice. Unless they wish to lose the customer's confidence and take the Sega route

None of us are responsible for promoting the system.
    I shouldn't have said "promote", it's more "defend", my bad.

Telling you that you can turn the 3D off is no different than telling you that there's a volume slider if you don't like the music of a given game.
    Here is where the "not quite" is best applied. You see, unless you missed it, the console is called 3DS. The 3D is the main selling point, or was. People saying that you can turn it off if you want really isn't the best way to talk about that characteristic. And releasing the 2DS also isn't the best way to cater to the needs of people who don't like it. It's like they're saying to the people who have a 3DS "you got an overpriced system with a mechanic most devs dont even use and the ones who do use it in a very limited way".
    Last edited by Axel.; 10th March 2014 at 8:12 PM.

Explain to me how the release of 2DS has nothing to do with Nintendo practically giving up on 3D. They only still have it because they have no choice. Unless they wish to lose the customer's confidence and take the Sega route
    I could release a piece of lemon candy and give up on the strawberry candy, but even still I keep selling the strawberry candy.

So, no, I'm not giving up on the concept.

That is exactly the problem, it's an opinion. Me not liking 3D has nothing to do with you liking it or not. The dumb logic here is you treating my opinion as a fact.
    Incredibly still, that wasn't your message - that you were passing over quality software because it had "3D" in the title. That's why you're being lambasted. It has nothing to do with anything else you're trying to muddle the issue with.

Explain to me how the release of 2DS has nothing to do with Nintendo practically giving up on 3D.
    A budget model of the hardware that eliminates a moving part on the system (the hinge/lid) and thus has less potential to be damaged, and also just happens to release day and date with the hardware's biggest game thus far can go a very long way and it can do so independent of the 2D/3D "debate".

Here is where the "not quite" is best applied. You see, unless you missed it, the console is called 3DS. The 3D is the main selling point, or was. People saying that you can turn it off if you want really isn't the best way to talk about that characteristic. And releasing the 2DS also isn't the best way to cater to the needs of people who don't like it. It's like they're saying to the people who have a 3DS "you got an overpriced system with a mechanic most devs dont even use and the ones who do use it in a very limited way".
    Again, the 2DS has benefits entirely separate of this particular debate. And as for the 3D, if it bothers a given individual that much, it can be turned off. We can sit here and discuss back and forth all day, should it be turned off? Does Nintendo want you to turn it off? Will they make less money if you turn it off? The fact remains that it can be turned off and even without that, it's still a more powerful and more capable upgrade to the previous DS hardware, capable of following in that hardware's tradition of strong gameplay but with considerably more technological resources at hand. If they had called the system the Nintendo DS Plus or the Super DS and the 3D were present but wasn't in the name, what would our discussion be now?

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I guess I alerted the horde. Anyway, yeah some games are cool in 3D and all. But that's it. It adds nothing else, it's just a cool little thing that they can put in a game. It's really dumb to base your system on it. I thought this was pretty clear to everyone, Nintendo basically admitted this by releasing the 2DS, but I guess some people are too slow. Not just that, with DK:TF, a first party, they pretty much said it themselves "the game pad is useless, sorry". The only good game that takes advantage of the 3D is Super Mario 3D Land, the 3D makes it really easy to judge the distance between jumps. The DS on the other hand added touch screen and that expanded the gameplay options a lot, games like Rhythm Heaven, Kirby Canvas Curse, The World Ends With You, Ivy the Kiwi, all work really well with the touchscreen.

The initial price for the 3DS was pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I can say too that if the 2DS had come out a couple years ago right before I bought the one I currently have, I would have definitely gotten that. Nnintendo probably relied too heavily on the fact that the selling point of the system was going to be that particular gimmick. (Don't get me wrong, some titles look admittedly nice but worth the extra $50? IDK)

Also, those games you listed were the ones I was thinking about that actually utilized the touch screen pretty darn well so it didn't simply feel like a two-screened GBA.

Oh and about 3D overall being a 'fad'? Agree with it. Just in the past 2-3 years we've gotten 3d televisions as well as movies being promoted with this; now you hardly hear anything about it.
    Last edited by Rio!; 11th March 2014 at 1:17 AM.
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    I could release a piece of lemon candy and give up on the strawberry candy, but even still I keep selling the strawberry candy.

So, no, I'm not giving up on the concept.
    Awesome analogy. I'm not even mad. But you missed the point of it. Say you have the lemon candy. But you decide to make another lemon candy without one of the ingredients. Not many people cared about that one ingredient and it raised the price considerably. It doesnt mean you gave up on it, I agree on that, that's why I said "practically", but it means you realized that using that ingredient in the first place was a bad decision.

Incredibly still, that wasn't your message - that you were passing over quality software because it had "3D" in the title. That's why you're being lambasted. It has nothing to do with anything else you're trying to muddle the issue with.
    Oh god. Should I spend money on asphalt 3D? splinter cell 3D? combat of giants dinossaurs 3D? Tekken 3D? Street fighter iv 3D? Some of these are multiplats, and always worse on the 3DS because they rely on the 3D, which the other versions lack, for the sales.

A budget model of the hardware that eliminates a moving part on the system (the hinge/lid) and thus has less potential to be damaged, and also just happens to release day and date with the hardware's biggest game thus far can go a very long way and it can do so independent of the 2D/3D "debate".
    Measures to reduce cost and good timing. Super simple stuff. You think they thought of it overnight? It was in the works for a while. And you forgot to mention it was 40 euros (where I live) less than the 3DS, 40 euros is also the price of a pokemon game.

Again, the 2DS has benefits entirely separate of this particular debate. And as for the 3D, if it bothers a given individual that much, it can be turned off. We can sit here and discuss back and forth all day, should it be turned off? Does Nintendo want you to turn it off? Will they make less money if you turn it off? The fact remains that it can be turned off and even without that, it's still a more powerful and more capable upgrade to the previous DS hardware, capable of following in that hardware's tradition of strong gameplay but with considerably more technological resources at hand. If they had called the system the Nintendo DS Plus or the Super DS and the 3D were present but wasn't in the name, what would our discussion be now?
    Please stop saying you can turn it off. It hurts. Our discussion would be the same, i said that about the games not the system. It still would be overpriced because of dumb decisions.
    Last edited by Axel.; 10th March 2014 at 10:35 PM.

Awesome analogy. I'm not even mad. But you missed the point of it. Say you have the lemon candy. But you decide to make another lemon candy without one of the ingredients. Not many people cared about that one ingredient and it raised the price considerably. It doesnt mean you gave up on it, I agree on that, that's why I said "practically", but it means you realized that using that ingredient in the first place was a bad decision.

Oh god. Should I spend money on asphalt 3D? splinter cell 3D? combat of giants dinossaurs 3D? Tekken 3D? Street fighter iv 3D? Some of these are multiplats, and always worse on the 3DS because they rely on the 3D, which the other versions lack, for the sales.

Measures to reduce cost and good timing. Super simple stuff. You think they thought of it overnight? It was in the works for a while. And you forgot to mention it was 40 euros (where I live) less than the 3DS, 40 euros is also the price of a pokemon game.

Please stop saying you can turn it off. It hurts. Our discussion would be the same, i said that about the games not the system. It still would be overpriced because of dumb decisions.
    Mmm candy.

There's a Tekken 3D?? News to me. SSFIV is decent though. Looks great even without the 3D. Was the first game I bought alongside the 3DS when it launched.

They were smart to release it the same day as Pokémon XY. A new main Pokémon + much cheaper 3DS model? Great! I doubt a lot of people cared about the 3D, just that they wanted to play a new Pokémon.

Saying you can turn off the 3D... Hurts you? Huh? We know the 3D is horrible, Nintendo knows the 3D is horrible. We get it, they get it. The 3DS isn't selling as well the DS was. So now they've released the 2DS, for those who don't like paying extra for 3D feature.

Wait, what was your whole point again?
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraIsAwesome View Post
    Saying you can turn off the 3D... Hurts you? Huh? We know the 3D is horrible, Nintendo knows the 3D is horrible. We get it, they get it. The 3DS isn't selling as well the DS was. So now they've released the 2DS, for those who don't like paying extra for 3D feature.
    Load of bull. 3DS was outpacing the DS a year ago, and it really hasn't changed since then. It's sold nearly a 3rd of the amount the DS did in it's lifetime, in just 3 years. Sure, it's slowing down now, but the 3DS is still ahead of the DS in sales
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Darkness View Post
    Load of bull. 3DS was outpacing the DS a year ago, and it really hasn't changed since then. It's sold nearly a 3rd of the amount the DS did in it's lifetime, in just 3 years. Sure, it's slowing down now, but the 3DS is still ahead of the DS in sales
    •DS earliest release was in NA on Nov 2004
    -3 years later, on Dec 31st, 2007, DS sales were 64.79M WW
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales

•3DS earliest release date was in Japan, on Feb 2011
    -3 years later on Dec 31st, 2013, 3DS sales were 42.74M WW
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_sales
    (if you don't trust Wikipedia itself, then click the citations next to the dates. Official records from Nintendo themselves)

Granted, the 3DS is missing two months, but no console nor handheld has ever sold ~20M units in just two months. Even the reincarnated PS2 which has disguised itself as a PS4 isn't doing that.

Edit:"the 3DS is still ahead of the DS in sales"
    Didn't know 42 > 64. Did I took the wrong Calculus class?
    Last edited by Void Ventus; 11th March 2014 at 4:49 AM.

•DS earliest release was in NA on Nov 2004
    -3 years later, on Dec 31st, 2007, DS sales were 64.79M WW
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales

•3DS earliest release date was in Japan, on Feb 2011
    -3 years later on Dec 31st, 2013, 3DS sales were 42.74M WW
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_sales
    (if you don't trust Wikipedia itself, then click the citations next to the dates. Official records from Nintendo themselves)

Granted, the 3DS is missing two months, but no console nor handheld has ever sold ~20M units in just two months. Even the reincarnated PS2 which has disguised itself as a PS4 isn't doing that.

Edit:"the 3DS is still ahead of the DS in sales"
    Didn't know 42 > 64. Did I took the wrong Calculus class?
    Sorry, haven't checked sales figures in ~9 months. Still, the 3DS isn't doing bad. 40 million is in no way bad sales for 3 years
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Darkness View Post
    Sorry, haven't checked sales figures in ~9 months. Still, the 3DS isn't doing bad. 40 million is in no way bad sales for 3 years
    9 months ago? So during summer '13. Even then, 3DS sales were still close to 10M LESS than the 3DS in the same time frame.

3DS August 31st 2013 (2 years and 4 months later) - 32.48
    DS March 31st 2007 (2 years and 4 months later) - 40.29

For 3/4 of the whole year last year, 3DS demand was small. Only 5M for 9 months. But then did 8M in the last 3 months, because of the holidays and Pokémon.

But yes, 40M in 3 years is not bad. Infinitely better than the Vita.

(Vita am cry. Hush hush. I still love you)

Wait, what was your whole point again?
    That I have valid reasons to abstain from playing crappy games that rely greatly on 3D to steal your money if I so choose to.

That I have valid reasons to abstain from playing crappy games that rely greatly on 3D to steal your money if I so choose to.
    Why are you even posting in the 3DS thread if you don't own a 3DS?
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Why are you even posting in the 3DS thread if you don't own a 3DS?
    There's nothing on that quoted post of his that says he doesn't have a 3DS.

You have your opinion. But why do you have such a problem with the 3DS? 3DS games don't cost extra. 99.9% of games still cost $40 (except for very few at $50, like SMTIV and RE:R), which was the same price as new retail DS games. Again, everyone's already saying you can just turn it off, and there's the 2DS if you just never want to see 3D ever again. Which games greatly rely on 3D anyways? Most are fine, and even play better, with the 3D off. If you really don't like a game using 3D, either turn off the 3D, wait until it goes on sale, or don't buy it altogether.

Retail DS games were 35 bucks but 5 bucks aint a big deal
    Currently not playing any Pokemon Games, you can check my Backloggery for games that I AM playing, if you're interested:

If I'm playing a Pokemon game, I'll have my signature display the game I'm playing, current team, and badge number.

You have your opinion. But why do you have such a problem with the 3DS? 3DS games don't cost extra. 99.9% of games still cost $40 (except for very few at $50, like SMTIV and RE:R), which was the same price as new retail DS games. Again, everyone's already saying you can just turn it off, and there's the 2DS if you just never want to see 3D ever again. Which games greatly rely on 3D anyways? Most are fine, and even play better, with the 3D off. If you really don't like a game using 3D, either turn off the 3D, wait until it goes on sale, or don't buy it altogether.
    I don't have any problem with the 3DS, I like it. I just said I don't like playing games with 3D and somehow that guy got his panties in a bunch. And I never said anything about the price of the games, only of the 3DS itself.

I don't have any problem with the 3DS, I like it. I just said I don't like playing games with 3D and somehow that guy got his panties in a bunch. And I never said anything about the price of the games, only of the 3DS itself.
    The "steal your money" part of your comment made it seem like you were talking about the price of 3DS games. But whatever, I guess. You enjoy your 3DS, I enjoy my 3DS, lots of people enjoy the 3DS, everybody's happy... Except the people who made Yoshi's New Island. Dang, that game is getting panned. It seems the story is just a rehash (and by rehash, I mean the exact same "plot") of the original SNES game. What a shame. The game should have just been done in-house rather than by Arzest.

The "steal your money" part of your comment made it seem like you were talking about the price of 3DS games. But whatever, I guess. You enjoy your 3DS, I enjoy my 3DS, lots of people enjoy the 3DS, everybody's happy... Except the people who made Yoshi's New Island. Dang, that game is getting panned. It seems the story is just a rehash (and by rehash, I mean the exact same "plot") of the original SNES game. What a shame. The game should have just been done in-house rather than by Arzest.
    That's one of the reasons why that isn't exactly on my 'must have' list at the moment. I still haven't gotten a new Yoshi's Island since the GBA one. XD
    I do wonder if crying Baby Mario is going to sound about the same or worse though. Omg that was...frightening.
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Rio! View Post
    That's one of the reasons why that isn't exactly on my 'must have' list at the moment. I still haven't gotten a new Yoshi's Island since the GBA one. XD
    I do wonder if crying Baby Mario is going to sound about the same or worse though. Omg that was...frightening.
    Crying baby Mario = Frightening? Lol wat? If it was a horror game, sure. But it's a colorful children's game.

You can search on Youtube. Still sounds the same. The cries of weeping toddlers will always be annoying, so it doesn't really matter.

I'm a little disappointed that the game is getting panned, because it looks more creative than most of the other rehashtastic platformers we've been getting lately. Sure, the new powerups aren't exactly innovative, but compared to games like NSMB which just add new powerups which do nothing and Tropical Freeze which is mainly just bringing back game mechanics from the Classic Trilogy and passing them off as new, it's a breath of fresh air. The only justification I could see for rating the game so low is the criticisms of decreased difficulty, because if rehashy gameplay was enough of a reason for a mediocre score, NSMB, 3D World, and Tropical Freeze don't deserve decent scores either.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I tried looking through the negative reviews, and kinda pulled together

- slow controls and pacing
    - really easy, except where it's not
    - 3D isn't that good
    - bosses suck (apparently they're just giant regular enemies)
    - meh visuals
    - linearish level design

Still, it's hard to take Metro seriously when their guy says shit like

The 3DS will be three years old in a few weeks. That means it should be in the prime of its life, not enduring an anaemic release schedule of D-list games – titles that give every impression that the format is about to be dumped. Perhaps it is though, as one theory for Nintendo’s next move is that they’ll release a new format that is both a portable and home console all-in-one, thereby effectively replacing the Wii U and 3DS at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I'm a little disappointed that the game is getting panned, because it looks more creative than most of the other rehashtastic platformers we've been getting lately. Sure, the new powerups aren't exactly innovative, but compared to games like NSMB which just add new powerups which do nothing and Tropical Freeze which is mainly just bringing back game mechanics from the Classic Trilogy and passing them off as new, it's a breath of fresh air. The only justification I could see for rating the game so low is the criticisms of decreased difficulty, because if rehashy gameplay was enough of a reason for a mediocre score, NSMB, 3D World, and Tropical Freeze don't deserve decent scores either.
    1. 63 isn't quite panning.
    2. Reviewers are often times not right.
    3. 3d world and tropical freeze were good games, and if anything, were overlooked.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Page 506 of 526 FirstFirst ... 406456496502503504505506507508509510516 ... LastLast