Page 514 of 526 FirstFirst ... 414464504510511512513514515516517518524 ... LastLast
Results 12,826 to 12,850 of 13142

Thread: Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    You can't get a console experience from a handheld. It's that simple. You're getting a handheld experience.

A console experience is sitting down with a controller looking at a TV. Not sitting down holding a system with a tiny screen.
    Pretty sure in the context we're talking about, it's the quality and size of the game, not how it's being played. Xenoblade on the 3DS is a console game on a handheld. And now that the New 3DS is having a second (albeit extremely small) second stick, and have 4 shoulder buttons, it should be easier to port a Wii game to it. Heck, they can even port that Toad game, Kirby U, NSMBU/Luigi, etc, since they aren't really that impressive graphics wise. Nothing that can't be done by making it SD and lowering the textures a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    Umm, I just came in here to ask you guys on reviews for the 3DS XL. I'll most likely get the **NEW** 3DS ( #HAILNINTENDO ) but I'm torn between the standard or the XL. I loved my DSi XL but I have grown accustomed to my less bulky and cute 3DS.

FYI, I have tiny hands (because most reviews seem to be from big handed gamers).
    Why not just buy all models? You already wrote #HAILNINTENDO, meaning you must be a hardcore fan who buys all Nintendo related products
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    but there's no definitive version of the "console experience" so "doing everything the console can" just on a lesser scale seems to fit for now
    But. There is a definitive version of "the console experience". It involves playing software on a television screen of size of choice, on hardware that has the size and operating power to accommodate more powerful components allowing for more complex software. By literal definition you can't accommodate all of that on a handheld.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

You know, while they essentially just made a downgrade Xenoblade LD, I'm okay with this, still need to buy a 3DS and portable Xenoblade is great, so I'll gladly double dip for this. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO AND MONOLITH SOFT!!!
    ... -_-' What, were you expecting a cookie?

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    But. There is a definitive version of "the console experience". It involves playing software on a television screen of size of choice, on hardware that has the size and operating power to accommodate more powerful components allowing for more complex software. By literal definition you can't accommodate all of that on a handheld.
    TV screen size isn't really important. Tons of people PC game (which is definitely the "console experience plus") on a restored down screen of their choice. As far as more complex software goes, I've yet to see the Wii U do anything gameplay wise that the 3DS can't do in some form or another. I do understand that when properly utilized, the Wii U will come out on top but consider the Wii U's lack of 3rd party support, and Nintendo games never being to demanding, it's not illogical to think you could get the console experience from the New 3DS. Maybe you won't get the "console experience" but you will get the "Nintendo console experience"

Still gotta wait and see though, if they can get Xenoblade, the most demanding Wii game running without problems on this New 3DS, I'd say that's oretty close to the console experience.

I'll probably wait until these have been out for a while before I decide to upgrade to one of them.
    I want to upgrade to a 3DS XL first.
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * - Going mega

Claimed by me!

Tons of people PC game (which is definitely the "console experience plus")
    I would never use the word console to describe the PC experience, besides "better than the console experience in every way."

Still gotta wait and see though, if they can get Xenoblade, the most demanding Wii game running without problems on this New 3DS, I'd say that's oretty close to the console experience.
    That's not a great example though, considering the Wii was hardly more powerful than the GCN. It would stand to reason that a handheld coming out 13 years later could match that 13 year old console.

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller2001 View Post
    I'll probably wait until these have been out for a while before I decide to upgrade to one of them.
    That's pretty foolish considering it's not an upgrade at all, it's just a bigger 3DS. Save your money, get one of the new models.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikku za Hejjihoggu View Post
    As an owner of one and somebody who played them: this is flat out wrong. When God of War is sub-30 fps down from the original's 60 fps, you can't convince me or any self respecting gamer with a clue that it played "well".

It didn't just stop there, virtually all of the PS2 collection ports suffered from questionable performance, which I value much more than visuals, because framerate does in fact affect the gameplay experience.
    How many PS2 remasters are there? Like 6? J&D, GoW, SC, R&C, FFX/X-2 HD, and P4G? If my math is correct, 4/6, or 2/3, or 66.6% is nowhere near 100%, or as you call it, all. I don't know what went wrong with those first four games. Probably a cheap and quick port. But FFX/X-2 HD and P4G play extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    So, as long as you're playing on the TV, it's a "console experience". I'll get a Vita TV then. Maybe then I'll have a real console experience on my handheld.
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraIsAwesome View Post
    So, as long as you're playing on the TV, it's a "console experience". I'll get a Vita TV then. Maybe then I'll have a real console experience on my handheld.
    Except that you wont be looking at, or possibly even using, a Vita so it wont be on a handheld at all.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

What actually is the console experience?
    At the moment, it appears to mean different things to different people, and as its the main topic I don't think the discussion will get very far without a definition. As far as I'm concerned the console experience involves the superior graphics, but also slightly different gameplay. On a home console I expect to be sitting down and playing for as long as 2 1/2 hours and no less than about 1hr 20 mins. That means I expect games that I'd continue playing for such a long time easily like Zelda games, which also benefit from the bigger scale of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Usually what I understand when people say console experience is playing on a tv and controller, shrug.
    ... -_-' What, were you expecting a cookie?

I don't overthink these things much.

Consoles are were all the really fancy stuff is.
    Handhelds I can play at lunch break or whatever.

Other then that, I don't care about any "console" or "handheld" experience. All I want is a good "gaming" experience.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller2001 View Post
    You might want to wait for the New 3DS XL. Judging by the Japanese prices, it looks the New models will cost roughly the same as the OG models (the New 3DS is 1000 yen more than the OG 3DS and the New 3DS XL is actually 100 yen less than the OG 3DS XL).

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

How many PS2 remasters are there? Like 6? J&D, GoW, SC, R&C, FFX/X-2 HD, and P4G? If my math is correct, 4/6, or 2/3, or 66.6% is nowhere near 100%, or as you call it, all. I don't know what went wrong with those first four games. Probably a cheap and quick port. But FFX/X-2 HD and P4G play extremely well.
    I said collection, implying the ones from Sony themselves; not third parties.

It is completely unacceptable for a handheld which outperforms the PS2 by quite a margin to be suffering from performance issues and usually not offering any visual improvements to speak of.

Considering the latter two are RPGs, they damn better "play well". Speaking of FFX and P4G, pretty sure neither run at the Vita's native resolution of 544p so there's always some strange fault to be found with these PS2 remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    You might want to wait for the New 3DS XL. Judging by the Japanese prices, it looks the New models will cost roughly the same as the OG models (the New 3DS is 1000 yen more than the OG 3DS and the New 3DS XL is actually 100 yen less than the OG 3DS XL).
    Since these new handhelds won't come out outside Japan till 2015. I might as well buy an XL in the mean time.

I'm hoping they'll have a trade-in deal on stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Savvao View Post
    Since these new handhelds won't come out outside Japan till 2015. I might as well buy an XL in the mean time.

I'm hoping they'll have a trade-in deal on stores.
    If you can't wait then go for it. Just know that you might not want to trade in your XL for the new 3DS because you'd still need it for the system transfer.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Except that you wont be looking at, or possibly even using, a Vita so it wont be on a handheld at all.
    You said "console experience" = playing on a TV. That's what the Vita TV does. Now it's not a "console experience" because I'm not looking at the small screen even though I'm still playing Vita games? At this point, it's just going to be arguments what qualifies as a "console experience" or "handheld experience", so I'm just gonna drop this. *cough* Xenoblade 3DS is a console experience *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikku za Hejjihoggu View Post
    I said collection, implying the ones from Sony themselves; not third parties.

It is completely unacceptable for a handheld which outperforms the PS2 by quite a margin to be suffering from performance issues and usually not offering any visual improvements to speak of.

Considering the latter two are RPGs, they damn better "play well". Speaking of FFX and P4G, pretty sure neither run at the Vita's native resolution of 544p so there's always some strange fault to be found with these PS2 remasters.
    Like I said, the collections might have been lazy or cheap and quick ports. Or maybe they tried to port the PS3 HD codes. As long as you get it up and running, it's A-okay. The 3D models in P4G are not native, but the UI and 2D art are. For FFX HD, the PS3 version was announced first, and the Vita version much later. They probably prioritized the PS3 version more. The Vita is much much stronger than the PS2, but you'd still optimization and tweaking, something that's most likely not of importance seeing as how horrible the system is selling. Low sales = less incentive to create a perfect port. That doesn't change the fact that a lot of the ports still play great.

You said "console experience" = playing on a TV. That's what the Vita TV does. Now it's not a "console experience" because I'm not looking at the small screen even though I'm still playing Vita games? At this point, it's just going to be arguments what qualifies as a "console experience" or "handheld experience", so I'm just gonna drop this. *cough* Xenoblade 3DS is a console experience *cough*
    No, the Vita TV is a console experience, because it works just like a console. I was only saying you wont be getting a console experience on a handheld, because you wont be looking at or using the handheld.

No, the Vita TV is a console experience, because it works just like a console. I was only saying you wont be getting a console experience on a handheld, because you wont be looking at or using the handheld.
    No no, I know what you mean. It's just the naming is weird.

Anyways, enough Vita and experience talk. It seems the New 3DS will have a new Internet lock to prevent children from looking at *ahem* "dirty websites". How do you disable it? That will be $0.30 (or yen or pounds or euros) please! (Pretty sure most kids nowadays have their own iPads and iPhones anyways, but good luck with that, Ninty)
    http://kotaku.com/new-3ds-filters-th...ium=Socialflow

Edit: seems JPN only for now. I guess they'll also announce this for the US and the rest of the world when the New 3DS/XL gets announced worldwide?
    Last edited by Void Ventus; 30th August 2014 at 3:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Well, I said "barely"...

Thing is, putting more resources into 3DS development means putting less into Wii U development, and I think we both know which system is in more dire need of games right now.
    I know you said barely, and I was acknowledging that the 3DS isn’t getting much love in the late 2014, well towards early 2015. However, your original point was that the New 3DS would revitalize interest on the console. If you’re going to make the argument that the Wii U needs more resources, then doesn’t Nintendo’s move to make another 3DS model (and then provide exclusive support for said model), detract from resources that the Wii U needs?

Really? Because I've played Xenoblade on the Wii, and it looks plenty pixelated and messy on that.
    The Wii version in terms of looks is definitely held back by the Wii’s specs, however, it looks a lot cleaner than the New 3DS version at the moment.

That being said, there’s also the question of frame rate slowing down during the Xenoblade trailer (although we don’t know if it’s because of the streaming device or if it’s naturally like that).

There's an initial problem with this kind of alignment in that learning curve, but it pays off in the end; Miyamoto has mentioned that consoles and handhelds have disparate development environments that Nintendo is interested in unifying, which would pay off later on down the road. I wouldn't say that the improvement is necessarily the main takeaway here, since we both know that a handheld can't really match a console of the same generation; it's the standardization of development that they're driving for.

In terms of the learning curve, they probably benefit by having this as a 3DS upgrade with ports as opposed to waiting for a brand new handheld to try this out with, if anything.
    The standardization of development wouldn’t be worth it if the end result leads to a disparate experience between the two gaming experiences (as it pertains to smoothness, graphical fidelity, cartridge memory vs. console CD’s memory, and overall quality of the game). Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great goal to aim for, but it’s pretty lofty considering how huge the discrepancy is between handhelds and consoles from a technical standpoint. If it were something akin to high-end PC specs and mid-end PC specs respectively, then I would have a lot more faith in Nintendo achieving this goal.

Anyways, enough Vita and experience talk. It seems the New 3DS will have a new Internet lock to prevent children from looking at *ahem* "dirty websites". How do you disable it? That will be $0.30 (or yen or pounds or euros) please! (Pretty sure most kids nowadays have their own iPads and iPhones anyways, but good luck with that, Ninty)

Edit: seems JPN only for now. I guess they'll also announce this for the US and the rest of the world when the New 3DS/XL gets announced worldwide?
    Eh, not a big deal. I probably won't use it for a browser anyway, and I especially won't use it for those reasons

I just hope it's better at filtering websites then the program my school's computers use, though.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

No no, I know what you mean. It's just the naming is weird.

Adding parental controls is one thing, paying to unlock them something else. It's not even the price, it's the principle

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    If you can't wait then go for it. Just know that you might not want to trade in your XL for the new 3DS because you'd still need it for the system transfer.
    I have my old 3DS. I'll use that to transfer my stuff from the XL. So I'm good.

I'd argue that nintendo should charge for parents to turn on the service.

Arceus christ nintendo learn from sony not microsoft when it comes to making policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Eh, not a big deal. I probably won't use it for a browser anyway, and I especially won't use it for those reasons

I just hope it's better at filtering websites then the program my school's computers use, though.
    Yeah, my first thought was "Who even uses the Internet browser on the 3DS?" I've tried searching Serebii on my 3DS before... Was el horrible. Most kids nowadays have their own iPhones, and they're so much more convenient and easier to browse the Internet with.

Adding parental controls is one thing, paying to unlock them something else. It's not even the price, it's the principle
    Worse thing is it takes off 30 cents from your credit cards once you put one in, rather than from your current eShop balance.

Page 514 of 526 FirstFirst ... 414464504510511512513514515516517518524 ... LastLast