Page 535 of 540 FirstFirst ... 435485525531532533534535536537538539 ... LastLast
Results 13,351 to 13,375 of 13499

Thread: Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

  1. #13351
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Really? I definitely do. I mean, not every day, but that's more because of work.

    To be fair I'm always cold and I'm an absolute wimp when it comes to cold temperatures. xD

    ...Shorts have pockets too, while we're on the topic. ^___^
    Last edited by Tangeh; 19th January 2015 at 10:25 PM.


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    ~ ~
    [719/719]

  2. #13352
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    This just further illustrates that Nintendo is stuck in the past and refuses to change. They're the only company that region locks their consoles. And they have absolutely nothing to gain by doing this, especially in this day and age when import sales are actually a factor.

    But then again, this is the company that is shipping the New 3DS with no AC adapter, as well as requiring you to use a screwdriver to access the SD slot on the console (I foresee many little kids breaking their consoles in the process of doing this).
    I don't see why this is a big deal. I got myself a 16gb sd card and I haven't touched it since I did a system transfer. Do people regularly need to remove their sd cards?
    Latest shiny:

    found in Friend Safari

  3. #13353
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    510

    Default

    I've never removed my original one, but I'll probably have to eventually...

    If I was a kid I'd just nag my parents to do it for me. Easy.


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    ~ ~
    [719/719]

  4. #13354
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyle72686 View Post
    I don't see why this is a big deal. I got myself a 16gb sd card and I haven't touched it since I did a system transfer. Do people regularly need to remove their sd cards?
    I dont think this is as big a deal either (children would probably go to their parents about this assuming they even remotely care), but I believe the n3ds comes with a 4 (?) gb microsd card. Some people might want to replace that with a larger one.
    Thankfully it seems like it'd be a one time thing, since there is this as an option


    You can transfer your photos, music, and other files between a PC and your system’s microSDHC** card via a wireless network. No need to remove the microSDHC card!
    e: Larger as in larger file size, not a normal sd card

  5. #13355
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Leck City
    Posts
    526

    Default

    On the topic of wearing jeans in Canada...does it make me weird that for an entire year when I was 8,even in the summer when it got over twenty degrees?

    On the topic of the New 3DS,I'm most likely not getting one even though I have a reason (the L button on my 3DS is broken).Nintendo's releasing too much good stuff this year.I'm saving up for an Ike amiboo and FE14 before I think about a New 3DS.

  6. #13356
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Do forget to buy a new charger.
    No need to worry, I still have my charger from the OG 3DS.

  7. #13357
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    On top of a mountain
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    am i the only one who sees the irony that people are complaining about having to unscrew the back to change the microsd card (which would only need to be done one time, btw), but dont seem to have an issue with if the new 3ds with the faceplates came out you'd have to do the same thing to change the faceplates, which according to some people here who would get the small new 3ds they would do it regularly? why is it if you'd do it all the time to swap faceplates its okay but doing it one time only to switch from 4 gig to 8-32 gig microsd card is such a sin?
    pokemon white friend code
    0647 5096 9579
    Name: Kevin

  8. #13358
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    An ocean of whiskey and time
    Posts
    10,299

    Default

    one person complained about screws for the microSD (annoying, but a one-off irritant)

    faceplates are purely aesthetic and you can never change them and not miss out (and IIRC the screws on the back plate are more standard than the weird one covering the microSD, but of course I have no way of knowing)

  9. #13359
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Emperor View Post
    am i the only one who sees the irony that people are complaining about having to unscrew the back to change the microsd card (which would only need to be done one time, btw), but dont seem to have an issue with if the new 3ds with the faceplates came out you'd have to do the same thing to change the faceplates, which according to some people here who would get the small new 3ds they would do it regularly? why is it if you'd do it all the time to swap faceplates its okay but doing it one time only to switch from 4 gig to 8-32 gig microsd card is such a sin?
    There is no irony. Memory cards fill up quick, so a lot of people change them, or replace them. Just ask Vita owners. Chances are, most people are just going to stick with the faceplate they like. You can't do that when an SD card fills up unless you delete stuff or change it.

    Though filling it up is probably unlikely. Nintendo is so terrible with their eShop like charging $5 bucks for 30 year old games, not enough people would D/L stuff anyway.

  10. #13360
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Emperor View Post
    am i the only one who sees the irony that people are complaining about having to unscrew the back to change the microsd card (which would only need to be done one time, btw), but dont seem to have an issue with if the new 3ds with the faceplates came out you'd have to do the same thing to change the faceplates, which according to some people here who would get the small new 3ds they would do it regularly? why is it if you'd do it all the time to swap faceplates its okay but doing it one time only to switch from 4 gig to 8-32 gig microsd card is such a sin?
    The actual irony is that Nintendo is doing this after advocating that they want to make their consoles hard for children to break.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ilGtSLiNp8

    I would just post a long text blurb explaining the situation, but it's easier to just have a link to a video explaining the same thing and probably taking less time to do it. Basically, it comes down to the fact that kids aren't always patient enough to wait for their parents to get the right tool for the job (in the case of the New 3DS, a #0 screwdriver), and are liable to try and do it themselves, and this will lead to broken consoles.

    Again, for a company that advocates making their consoles hard for kids to break, this is a boneheaded design choice that will result in broken consoles.


    In all fairness though, the thing that irritates me the most is the fact that it isn't shipping with a power supply. Consoles and hardware should always come packaged with everything needed to make them self-sufficient. There's no excuse for this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    one person complained about screws for the microSD (annoying, but a one-off irritant)

    faceplates are purely aesthetic and you can never change them and not miss out (and IIRC the screws on the back plate are more standard than the weird one covering the microSD, but of course I have no way of knowing)
    It was confirmed that a #0 screwdriver is required to remove the plate. Here's the thing though. I see Tablets in stores all the time, and I've never run into one where you had to unscrew something to be able to install the SD card or the Micro SD card (even the nabi Tablets have a slot that is in plain sight, and all you have to do is just insert the SD card). This is why Rich calls it a very 'Nintendo' thing to do. Because nobody else in their right mind would design their products like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by kyle72686 View Post
    I don't see why this is a big deal. I got myself a 16gb sd card and I haven't touched it since I did a system transfer. Do people regularly need to remove their sd cards?
    Well, if you want to transfer your SD card from your current 3DS to the New 3DS (you know, so you can have your games and saves on the new console), then it can be a big deal, especially when it's a kid who isn't necessarily patient enough to wait for mommy or daddy to get the right tool for the job.
    Last edited by SBaby; 20th January 2015 at 8:29 AM.
    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    Recently, my close friend was brutally attacked her ex-boyfriend. Her child tragically lost her life in this horrendous incident. The road to recovery for her will be a long one. A fund has been set up to help her pay for the funeral and hospital expenses here. http://www.gofundme.com/krvruo

  11. #13361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    but it's easier to just have a link to a video explaining the same thing and probably taking less time to do it.
    It's never actually better to do this.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Basically, it comes down to the fact that kids aren't always patient enough to wait for their parents to get the right tool for the job (in the case of the New 3DS, a #0 screwdriver), and are liable to try and do it themselves, and this will lead to broken consoles.
    This seems more like advocating for a hypothetical cross-section of youth that doesn't actually exist. Seems to me that if a kid is old enough to know/understand what an SD card is, micro or otherwise, there's a very good chance they're old enough to unscrew a few screws on a compartment designed to be opened for that purpose.

    Furthermore, it was pointed out: the hardware provides for wireless transfer of data between the system and a computer under the right conditions.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Well, if you want to transfer your SD card from your current 3DS to the New 3DS (you know, so you can have your games and saves on the new console), then it can be a big deal, especially when it's a kid who isn't necessarily patient enough to wait for mommy or daddy to get the right tool for the job.
    Again, this is a flawed hypothetical: if Junior is old enough to understand the concept, Junior is probably old enough that he can follow Nintendo's instructions without needing to "wait for mommy or daddy to get the right tool for the job."

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Again, for a company that advocates making their consoles hard for kids to break, this is a boneheaded design choice that will result in broken consoles.
    And yet a compartment held on with screws is probably somewhat less likely to be broken than the semi-dangly compartment cover used on the original models. It seems like you're doing a lot of railing and wailing in favor of some hypothetical kids who very possibly don't exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    I see Tablets in stores all the time, and I've never run into one where you had to unscrew something to be able to install the SD card or the Micro SD card. This is why Rich calls it a very 'Nintendo' thing to do. Because nobody else in their right mind would design their products like that.
    However there are any number of cell phone models that place their microSD card slots underneath the battery, or at least behind the battery cover. No, they aren't screw-secured and it's not quite the same, but it is the extra step of having to perform a bit of elective surgery on the hardware to swap it out.

    I have faith in the resiliency of the human spirit that we will heal from these screw-inflicted wounds and move on, in time.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 20th January 2015 at 8:32 AM.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  12. #13362
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    It's never actually better to do this.
    You are the only one who whines when I do this, instead of taking five minutes to watch a video that has ten times the information I could post in the same time span, a video that addresses most of what you just posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    This seems more like advocating for a hypothetical cross-section of youth that doesn't actually exist. Seems to me that if a kid is old enough to know/understand what an SD card is, micro or otherwise, there's a very good chance they're old enough to unscrew a few screws on a compartment designed to be open. Furthermore, it was pointed out: the hardware provides for wireless transfer of data between the system and a computer.
    First, you are seriously in denial if you believe that. Kids are impatient. Kids break things when they get impatient. That's how kids are. If you don't know this, then you clearly have no experience with kids.

    Second, you have no idea what Nintendo's key customer-base is, do you? It's kids. It's always been kids, and it will always BE kids. And kids don't always listen to their parents (or adults in general, for that matter). Not every 6-year-old kid that begs their parents for a console is going to have the patience to wait for them to get the right tool to open that plate, because they are excited to play their new console. So they will try to do it themselves, and this will lead to broken consoles.

    As for the wireless transfer, that's all well and good, but kids don't always have access to a computer. And there are certain things that can't be transferred this way. So guess what happens in that case.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    However there are any number of cell phone models that place their microSD card slots underneath the battery, or at least behind the battery cover. No, they aren't screw-secured and it's not quite the same, but it is the extra step of having to perform a bit of elective surgery on the hardware to swap it out.

    I have faith in the resiliency of the human spirit that we will heal from these screw-inflicted wounds and move on, in time.
    Cell phones do indeed have plates that need to be removed to get to the micro SD slot under the battery. But here's an important difference. Are you ready for this? Because this is going to blow your mind. You don't need a screwdriver to pop the plate off. A simple motion of the fingernail is all it takes. I have heard that one or two models of tablets also have a plate that needs to be removed, but again, no screws involved; it just slides off like the back of a remote control when you need to change the battery.

    This is why it's a very 'Nintendo' thing for them to do. Because no other company does this.
    Last edited by SBaby; 20th January 2015 at 9:01 AM.
    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    Recently, my close friend was brutally attacked her ex-boyfriend. Her child tragically lost her life in this horrendous incident. The road to recovery for her will be a long one. A fund has been set up to help her pay for the funeral and hospital expenses here. http://www.gofundme.com/krvruo

  13. #13363
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orience & Yharnam
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    There is no irony. Memory cards fill up quick, so a lot of people change them, or replace them. Just ask Vita owners. Chances are, most people are just going to stick with the faceplate they like. You can't do that when an SD card fills up unless you delete stuff or change it.

    Though filling it up is probably unlikely. Nintendo is so terrible with their eShop like charging $5 bucks for 30 year old games, not enough people would D/L stuff anyway.
    Lol seriously. 64GB is not enough. I'll pay all teh moneys even for a measly 128GB. I payed $100 for the 64GB, so you know how horrible the price higher memories would cost... Unless some third-party companies would start making cheap replacements already!

    I feel like if not bringing the n3DS to America and Canada was such a big deal, then fans should have ripped Nintendo a new one for the n3DS and n3DSXL still not being region free. Fook this proprietary memory card and region locking nonsense!


    You are Slave.
    Want emancipation?


  14. #13364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    First, you are seriously in denial if you believe that. Kids are impatient. Kids break things when they get impatient. That's how kids are. If you don't know this, then you clearly have no experience with kids.
    Spare me the "well you CLEARLY don't know..." platitudes, this will go so much easier if you do. Again, you're arguing for a hypothetical and a tenuous one at that.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Second, you have no idea what Nintendo's key customer-base is, do you? It's kids.
    Oh my yes, if there is one sole problem to which this all boils down, it is that I have no idea what Nintendo's key customer base is. Thanks for clearing that up. Again, platitudes, again, flimsy hypothetical argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    So they will try to do it themselves, and this will lead to broken consoles.
    No, you think it will lead to broken consoles, again on the basis of a tenuous hypothetical. The point remains that just as easily as you can say "6-year-olds will try it and break everything!", the response can be "why is the 6-year-old trying to undo a screw compartment to change out a microSD card in the first place?" with just as much validity.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Because this is going to blow your mind. You don't need a screwdriver to pop the plate off. A simple motion of the fingernail is all it takes. I have heard that one or two models of tablets also have a plate that needs to be removed, but again, no screws involved; it just slides off like the back of a remote control when you need to change the battery.
    Incredibly, I acknowledged right off the bat that the two were similar but not the same. It's possible you were too distracted by the task of conceiving witticisms like "because this is going to blow your mind" and skipped over it.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  15. #13365
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    No, you think it will lead to broken consoles, again on the basis of a tenuous hypothetical. The point remains that just as easily as you can say "6-year-olds will try it and break everything!", the response can be "why is the 6-year-old trying to undo a screw compartment to change out a microSD card in the first place?" with just as much validity.
    This will lead to broken consoles, because kids are kids. This is not hypothetical. This is a fact. Kids get impatient, and because they get impatient, they try to do things themselves, even though they don't always know how to. This leads to devices being broken. This is not some hypothetical situation. This is something that happens every day.

    And regardless of how you try to spin this, it's still a misstep in the design of the console.
    Last edited by SBaby; 20th January 2015 at 9:33 AM.
    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    Recently, my close friend was brutally attacked her ex-boyfriend. Her child tragically lost her life in this horrendous incident. The road to recovery for her will be a long one. A fund has been set up to help her pay for the funeral and hospital expenses here. http://www.gofundme.com/krvruo

  16. #13366

    Default

    The sun is a star made of burning gas. That is a fact.

    This:

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Kids get impatient, and because they get impatient, they try to do things themselves, even though they don't always know how to. This leads to devices being broken. This is not some hypothetical situation. This is something that happens every day.
    --is many things. Generalization, observation, anecdote, assumption, and more, and in those capacities it may even be not-invalid. But it is not a fact, or at least it is most certainly not incontrovertible fact in the way you are trying to present it or in the context in which you are trying to present it.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  17. #13367
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    The sun is a star made of burning gas. That is a fact.

    This:



    --is many things. Generalization, observation, anecdote, assumption, and more, and in those capacities it may even be not-invalid. But it is not a fact, or at least it is most certainly not incontrovertible fact in the way you are trying to present it or in the context in which you are trying to present it.
    I think you should go look up the definition of the word 'hypothetical', because I don't think it means what you think it does.

    For the last time, what I have told you is a fact. Kids get impatient and kids break things. If you can prove to me that kids have never once broken something out of impatience, I will personally rescind everything I say about the back plate of the New 3DS. But you can't, because kids do in fact break things out of impatience. And they will in this case as well.



    That said, the back plate isn't even the thing that bothered me the most about it. Actually, deciding not to include a power supply to me is the biggest misstep Nintendo made with the console. Now I'm on the side of Rich here. I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker. But it's definitely a very 'Nintendo' thing to do. When you release a console, or a device of any kind, you should always release it with everything you need in order for it to run and be self-sufficient. There is really no excuse for this.
    Last edited by SBaby; 20th January 2015 at 6:51 PM.
    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    Recently, my close friend was brutally attacked her ex-boyfriend. Her child tragically lost her life in this horrendous incident. The road to recovery for her will be a long one. A fund has been set up to help her pay for the funeral and hospital expenses here. http://www.gofundme.com/krvruo

  18. #13368
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Fallen Arm
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Kids who break things out of impatience have anger issues. Plain and simple. :/
    My brother broke our Super Mario Galaxy disc in half because he couldn't beat one level. But remember, not all kids are like this. And I highly doubt any kid at least under 12 knows what an SD card is (even when 80-ish% of the population have cell-phones). I may be wrong, but I don't see it being a big deal.

    The lack of a charger, however, is a different story, but has a solution: BUY ONE YOURSELF. I assume (I know I should never assume but whatever) that Nintendo will but on the box: "Does not include an AC adapter." I hope parents are not so stupid that they will ignore this, have their kids complain about the non-rechargeable batteries, and then complain to Nintendo because of it. But then again, never underestimate people's stupidity.

    In short: yes, there is no excuse. Parents who don't know any better will blab about how there is no way to recharge the n3DS they just bought for their spoiled brat kid, and it will be Nintendo's fault (somewhat, if the parents didn't bother to read the box).

    "Dundun watch over Shulk. Dundun watch over Fiora. That is all a daddypon can do." -Riki
    I have officially claimed Pokémon Alpha Sapphire!
    I have also claimed Nowi.

  19. #13369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    I think you should go look up the definition of the word 'hypothetical', because I don't think it means what you think it does.
    Delightful. Yes, again, that's clearly the problem here.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    For the last time, what I have told you is a fact.
    I think that's a definition you may want to look into.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    If you can prove to me that kids have never once broken something out of impatience, I will personally rescind everything I say about the back plate of the New 3DS. But you can't, because kids do in fact break things out of impatience. And they will in this case as well.
    Ah, now we come to the issue here. No, I don't need to prove anything to you. Rather, the burden of proof falls on you, to somehow prove that every - or even a majority, or even a significant minority - of your hypothetical 6-year-old consumers is going to, and I quote, "break [the system] out of impatience", because that's not just the crux of your argument, it's your entire argument.

    Is that really what you got out of this, that I'm somehow saying that no child ever has ever broken anything? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that isn't how you're summarizing my position. However, your entire argument seems to be predicated on your belief that the very second this New 3DS is set in front of a child, it's going to be reduced to a small pile of broken plastic, stripped screws and charred circuitry out of impatience, which itself is predicated on the belief that Junior not only knows what the microSD card is, but has need or reason to remove it. Again, somehow you would have to prove this eventuality to be such, and a widespread one at that, for your argument to hold the water you believe it does. Until then, it's less the fact you want it to be and more the generalization/observation/assumption that it really is.

    Even better, I've not laid hands on a New 3DS (as I imagine many of us haven't), but if the microSD slot is covered anything like I would imagine it to be, exactly what is Junior going to do to it to try and open it improperly while he's so busy being impatient for "mommy and daddy"? Is he going to try and undo the screws himself? Seems like he'd either manage that, or wouldn't, and at worst he'd scratch the casing in that area of the system. Is he going to try and pry it open with something? It would seem, in my mind's eye - and again, I freely admit I haven't seen what the cover looks like, so I could be wrong here - like there would be nowhere to find purchase for such an effort, and again at worst the system would get scratched up a bit.

    It's just not an argument that holds all of the water you believe it to. It absolutely holds some water, that yes, there are kids out there who are impatient, impulsive and destructive enough to damage anything put in front of them, but that's true of anything small enough and vulnerable enough to sustain damage.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  20. #13370
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    Kids who break things out of impatience have anger issues. Plain and simple. :/
    Kids that break things don't generally do it because they have anger issues. They do it because they're excited to play with their new toy, and they don't always have the patience to wait for the adult to assemble anything that needs assembling.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    The lack of a charger, however, is a different story, but has a solution: BUY ONE YOURSELF. I assume (I know I should never assume but whatever) that Nintendo will but on the box: "Does not include an AC adapter." I hope parents are not so stupid that they will ignore this, have their kids complain about the non-rechargeable batteries, and then complain to Nintendo because of it. But then again, never underestimate people's stupidity.

    In short: yes, there is no excuse. Parents who don't know any better will blab about how there is no way to recharge the n3DS they just bought for their spoiled brat kid, and it will be Nintendo's fault (somewhat, if the parents didn't bother to read the box).
    That's the point though. Nintendo should just include a charger with the console. Generally, when you release a product, you want to release the product with everything needed to make it functional and self-sufficient. It would be the same as if Microsoft or Sony released their next gen consoles without power cords. Nintendo is the only company that is doing this with their game system. And it's one of the dumbest decisions I've seen one of the Big Three companies make (and I've called out MS and Sony on some dumb choices in the past too).

    You can blame the consumer for not reading the fine print until you're blue in the face (which is the worst thing you can do when you run a company), but here's the reality of the situation. The consumer is the one paying for your product. The consumer is the one keeping your company afloat. The responsibility falls on you as the owner of the company to come up with ways to ensure the consumers come back to you when you release new products. Omitting an item necessary for your product to function is only going to isolate consumers and cause them to look to other companies that don't do this.

    That customer that would have bought your console is more likely to say, 'Wait a second. There's no power adapter for that console, and the store I was planning to buy it at doesn't sell the adapter. Well, I don't want to drive all the way to another store to look for an AC adapter. So I'll just buy a $200 Tablet instead, which DOES have the power supply included.' I see customers like this all the time where I shop. People don't like to waste gas going to another store to buy something that the first store doesn't have in stock.

    And I know what you're thinking. One customer isn't going to make a difference. This is true. One customer is only a loss of $200. But TEN customers is a loss of $2,000, and a hundred customers is a loss of $20,000. All of a sudden, it doesn't seem like such a minor issue anymore when you start isolating customers, especially when you consider the rule of fifths and hundredths.
    Last edited by SBaby; 20th January 2015 at 8:08 PM.
    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    Recently, my close friend was brutally attacked her ex-boyfriend. Her child tragically lost her life in this horrendous incident. The road to recovery for her will be a long one. A fund has been set up to help her pay for the funeral and hospital expenses here. http://www.gofundme.com/krvruo

  21. #13371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Kids that break things don't generally do it because they have anger issues. They do it because they're excited to play with their new toy, and they don't always have the patience to wait for the adult to assemble anything that needs assembling.
    He's not doing anything different than you are in saying that.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    That customer that would have bought your console is more likely to say, 'Wait a second. There's no power adapter for that console, and the store I was planning to buy it at doesn't sell the adapter. Well, I don't want to drive all the way to another store to look for an AC adapter. So I'll just buy a $200 Tablet instead, which DOES have the power supply included." I see customers like this all the time where I shop. People don't like to waste gas going to another store to buy something that the first store doesn't have in stock.
    You're extrapolating towards absurdity here.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    And I know what you're thinking. One customer isn't going to make a difference. This is true. One customer is only a loss of $200. But TEN customers is a loss of $2,000, and a hundred customers is a loss of $20,000. All of a sudden, it doesn't seem like such a minor issue anymore when you start isolating customers, especially when you consider the rule of fives and hundreds.
    One hundred customers and $20,000 would still be fractionally tiny. If anything, if Nintendo could fix the odds so that only one hundred consumers, out of what one imagines will be hundreds of thousands at least, will have (or create) some sort of issue with their hardware, they might take those odds.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  22. #13372
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Fallen Arm
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Kids that break things don't generally do it because they have anger issues. They do it because they're excited to play with their new toy, and they don't always have the patience to wait for the adult to assemble anything that needs assembling.
    I don't know about you, but if were a kid and I was excited to play my new game console, I'd try not to break it within the first hour. And there is nothing on the n3DS that needs assembling, so that point is completely irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    That's the point though. Nintendo should just include a charger with the console. Generally, when you release a product, you want to release the product with everything needed to make it functional and self-sufficient. It would be the same as if Microsoft or Sony released their next gen consoles without power cords. Nintendo is the only company that is doing this with their game system.

    It may not be a big deal to you, or anyone else who doesn't really care where their money goes. But I'm a little bit more frugal with my money, and if I'm going to put $200 down for a console or device, I'm going to expect it to come with everything needed to make it functional. And yes, parents will complain about this (and potentially return the console).

    You can blame the consumer until you're blue in the face (which is the worst thing you can do when you own a company), but here's the reality of the situation. The consumer is the one paying for your product. The consumer is the one keeping your company afloat. The responsibility falls on you as the owner of the company to come up with ways to ensure the consumers come back to you when you release new products. Omitting an item necessary for your product to function is only going to isolate consumers and cause them to look to other companies that don't do this.

    That customer that would have bought your console is more likely to say, 'Wait a second. There's no power adapter for that console, and the store I was planning to buy it at doesn't sell the adapter. Well, I don't want to drive all the way to another store to look for an AC adapter. So I'll just buy a $200 Tablet instead, which DOES have the power supply included.' I see customers like this all the time where I shop. People don't like to waste gas going to another store to buy something that the first store doesn't have in stock.

    And I know what you're thinking. One customer isn't going to make a difference. This is true. One customer is only a loss of $200. But TEN customers is a loss of $2,000, and a hundred customers is a loss of $20,000. All of a sudden, it doesn't seem like such a minor issue anymore when you start isolating customers.
    You're saying that all like you're arguing, but I agree, not including an AC adapter was not the best decision on their part.

    And no, you don't know what I'm thinking.

    EDIT: To build on what BVC-whatever-your-name-is said, a few customers moving away from Nintendo because of one power cord will be next to nothing. They have been losing (and gaining) customers for years, that's how business is. 2000 dollars less in their pocket doesn't matter when they've got billions at their disposal.
    Last edited by TheDragonKing; 20th January 2015 at 8:11 PM.

    "Dundun watch over Shulk. Dundun watch over Fiora. That is all a daddypon can do." -Riki
    I have officially claimed Pokémon Alpha Sapphire!
    I have also claimed Nowi.

  23. #13373
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    I don't know about you, but if were a kid and I was excited to play my new game console, I'd try not to break it within the first hour. And there is nothing on the n3DS that needs assembling, so that point is completely irrelevant.



    You're saying that all like you're arguing, but I agree, not including an AC adapter was not the best decision on their part.

    And no, you don't know what I'm thinking.

    EDIT: To build on what BVC-whatever-your-name-is said, a few customers moving away from Nintendo because of one power cord will be next to nothing. They have been losing (and gaining) customers for years, that's how business is. 2000 dollars less in their pocket doesn't matter when they've got billions at their disposal.
    I wasn't necessarily arguing with you though (hence starting the post with 'Well, that's my point.'). And the whole 'I know what you're thinking' part wasn't really meant for you (it was meant for the reader in general, who might be thinking that). The only part that was a direct response to what you said was the first little paragraph. Everything else was just my take on it and for whoever might be reading this.

    But what you have to understand when you're talking about a few customers is there is a rule in business called the Rule of Fifths and Hundredths (this is a rule that BCVM22 conveniently forgets when he tries to defend Nintendo's decisions). Basically, it goes like this. If a customer has a positive experience, you can expect them to tell up to five people. If a person has a negative experience, you can expect them to tell as many as a hundred. And the reason this happens is because people tend to remember the negative things for a longer time than the positive things. That's just a fact of life when it comes to the business world.
    Last edited by SBaby; 20th January 2015 at 9:08 PM.
    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    Recently, my close friend was brutally attacked her ex-boyfriend. Her child tragically lost her life in this horrendous incident. The road to recovery for her will be a long one. A fund has been set up to help her pay for the funeral and hospital expenses here. http://www.gofundme.com/krvruo

  24. #13374
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    I wasn't necessarily arguing with you though (hence starting the post with 'Well, that's my point.'). And the whole 'I know what you're thinking' part wasn't really meant for you (it was meant for the reader in general, who might be thinking that). The only part that was a direct response to what you said was the first little paragraph. Everything else was just my take on it and for whoever might be reading this.

    But what you have to understand when you're talking about a few customers is there is a rule in business called the Rule of Fifths and Hundredths (this is a rule that BCVM22 conveniently forgets when he tries to defend Nintendo's decisions). Basically, it goes like this. If a customer has a positive experience, you can expect them to tell up to five people. If a person has a negative experience, you can expect them to tell as many as a hundred. And the reason this happens is because people tend to remember the negative things for a longer time than the positive things. That's just a fact of life when it comes to the business world.
    I guess Nintendo must be doing something right, because last I checked, they made a profit, and since they made a profit, they must have had more customers!
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

  25. #13375
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orience & Yharnam
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    I guess Nintendo must be doing something right, because last I checked, they made a profit, and since they made a profit, they must have had more customers!
    They've always done right in games, but their hardware effing sucks.


    You are Slave.
    Want emancipation?


Page 535 of 540 FirstFirst ... 435485525531532533534535536537538539 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •