Page 9 of 526 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 13143

Thread: Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Je vous jetterez en prison.
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Do you even remember what this was about?
    Because I'm pretty sure it was cartridge format.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    On the floor
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Which didn't change for four installments of the GBA, so whining about the DS's cartridge (which has also had only four installments) is stupid, especially since we haven't even seen the 3DS yet.
    MK Wii FC: 4125-3565-2043

    98% of teenagers cannot perform basic math. If you're one of the 7% who can, copy and paste this into your sig.

    I hack pokemon with my AR. Don't like it? Tough.

    FFIII DS sucks, and MMX6 sucks even more, but MMX7 is just crap.

    It is said that when it roars, a volcano erupts somewhere around the globe.

    ENTEI embodies the passion of magma. This POKEMON is thought to have been born in the eruption of a volcano. It blasts fire that consumes all it touches.

    ENTEI learns Roar at level 15.
    >_<

    Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon-dana
    But seriously, I agree with BitchBlast's point from a few posts back.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Je vous jetterez en prison.
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    Which didn't change for four installments of the GBA, so whining about the DS's cartridge (which has also had only four installments) is stupid, especially since we haven't even seen the 3DS yet.
    Way to chime in, kid.
    I'm not exactly whining either. And I'm pretty sure the DSi->DSiXL is a bigger change than frontlit->backlit SP.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mudkip View Post
    Way to chime in, kid.
    I'm not exactly whining either. And I'm pretty sure the DSi->DSiXL is a bigger change than frontlit->backlit SP.
    They simply increased the size of the unit, nothing more. DSLite to DSi is more of a change; they not only increased the size slightly, they added dual cameras, SD card support, reduced the thickness, gave it a matte finish, removed the DS slot, re-repositioned the power button, and remodeled the firmware.

    C_L


    "I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

    "But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

    - Cobaltios

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Je vous jetterez en prison.
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    ........
    I know the DSi -> DSi XL is a simple matter of upgraded size.
    I just said it's more of a difference than a front vs. backlit SP, which has nothing to do with my original point: Damn they churn out a lot of DS models, without changing the cartridge, EVEN IF THE NINTENDO THREE DS USES A DIFFERENT CARTRIDGE.
    The N64>GCN was a lot bigger change than DSLite->DSi : /

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    The Game Boy, Color, Advance, DS and 3DS are all separate, subsequent generations of hardware, based on the continuing advances in graphics, hardware, gameplay and peripherals that were a result of each one. Each one is capable of doing something that the previous generation could not, even if it's not something cataclysmically huge. It really is that simple - just because you don't consider the jump from monochrome to color a "major upgrade" doesn't mean they were the same system by any definition. Sorry.
    Your joking right? The Gameboy color's hardware was near identical to the gameboy's as was the gameplay experience and it used the same peripherals as the gameboy pocket. A good portion of gameboy color games could even be played on the regular gameboy. It's the same gen hardware as the minor upgrades to the handhelds power was fairly insignificant.

    Unless you can give me straight up details in how most gameboy color games took advantage of the hardware improvements to provide a significantly improved gameplay experience, your statement is a load of hot air.

    Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/


  7. #207
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    >.> Bunch of sony fanboys.....Nintendo's on top, get use to it.

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Je vous jetterez en prison.
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Fuck, I thought Sony had it made in the handheld business : |
    And Glass Eye, $5 says he doesn't respond.
    Last edited by Mr. Mudkip; 27th March 2010 at 6:26 AM.

  9. #209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    The Gameboy color's hardware was near identical to the gameboy's as was the gameplay experience and it used the same peripherals as the gameboy pocket.
    Only because it could, not because they were intended for it. Just as you can use GameCube peripherals and software with the Wii; you don't try and lump the Wii and GCN together on that basis, do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    A good portion of gameboy color games could even be played on the regular gameboy.
    Something mandated by Nintendo, because you don't take a legendarily large user install base like that of the original Game Boy - which had been around for nearly a decade at that point - and with the a snap of a finger, render each and every one of those games unable to be played, all at once. It's just not smart. Had Nintendo wanted to, they could have made each and every one of those dual-compatibility games Color-only, but they know what anyone could tell you and I just did tell you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    It's the same gen hardware as the minor upgrades to the handhelds power was fairly insignificant.
    And yet it could do something - any number of somethings - that the Game Boy/Pocket could not, and regardless of whether you understand, realize or accept that, that makes it a new generation of hardware. The Color could display in Color; the original could not. Guess what? It really is that simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    Unless you can give me straight up details in how most gameboy color games took advantage of the hardware improvements to provide a significantly improved gameplay experience, your statement is a load of hot air.
    You know what the best part of all this is? I don't have to give you jack. I will, just to make sure you know full that this sorry excuse for a debate needs to be over, but I don't need to.

    As I mentioned above, it really is that simple. The Game Boy Color could do something that the Game Boy could not, which was display graphics in color. This allowed developers to create experiences they simply could not on the original Game Boy. Again, that simple. Super Mario Bros. was later ported to the Game Boy, as were any number of NES titles. None of them could have received that treatment on the original Game Boy, because downshifting a color title to monochrome doesn't work.

    No one gives a damn if you don't think that constitutes a next-generation upgrade. And furthermore, do you really think it was by accident that boxes for the two different systems had a different system stripe on the side? If, as you say, the two were the same generation, why bother?

    And furthermore:

    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gam...jsp?lm=classic

    What do you see there? I see "Original Game Boy" and "Game Boy Color" as two completely separate categories. Nintendo considers the two systems similar and linked but separate. So does the rest of the world. You can keep your inaccurate definition, but you have no argument here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mudkip View Post
    And Glass Eye, $5 says he doesn't respond.
    Good thing you didn't make that bet, eh? You should take that $5 and sho- er, invest it. Yes, invest it.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    On the floor
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mudkip View Post
    ........
    I know the DSi -> DSi XL is a simple matter of upgraded size.
    I just said it's more of a difference than a front vs. backlit SP, which has nothing to do with my original point: Damn they churn out a lot of DS models, without changing the cartridge, EVEN IF THE NINTENDO THREE DS USES A DIFFERENT CARTRIDGE.
    Actually, the change to backlighting is very comparable to the DSi's increased size. Both were done for player convenience, and both were advertised as new things.

    And the thing is, your point really doesn't make sense as the amount of DS spinoffs is identical to the amount of GBA spinoffs.

    Incidentally, since 3DS obviously stands for 3-D Screen, I don't think the proper term to use is "NINTENDO THREE D(OUBLE) S(CREEN)".

    The N64>GCN was a lot bigger change than DSLite->DSi : /
    Erm...

    Duh?

    Seriously, how does that even compare?
    MK Wii FC: 4125-3565-2043

    98% of teenagers cannot perform basic math. If you're one of the 7% who can, copy and paste this into your sig.

    I hack pokemon with my AR. Don't like it? Tough.

    FFIII DS sucks, and MMX6 sucks even more, but MMX7 is just crap.

    It is said that when it roars, a volcano erupts somewhere around the globe.

    ENTEI embodies the passion of magma. This POKEMON is thought to have been born in the eruption of a volcano. It blasts fire that consumes all it touches.

    ENTEI learns Roar at level 15.
    >_<

    Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon-dana
    But seriously, I agree with BitchBlast's point from a few posts back.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Je vous jetterez en prison.
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post

    And the thing is, your point really doesn't make sense as the amount of DS spinoffs is identical to the amount of GBA spinoffs.
    I never said it wasn't a lot of GBA, and besides, the gameboy micro was released after the DS era began, so you can scratch that one off your list

    I know
    Incidentally, since 3DS obviously stands for 3-D Screen, I don't think the proper term to use is "NINTENDO THREE D(OUBLE) S(CREEN)".



    Erm...

    Duh?

    Seriously, how does that even compare?
    I know, I just said that to show my ...erm, disdain, for C_L's post, as shown by the slanty face.

  12. #212
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mudkip View Post
    I know
    Incidentally, since 3DS obviously stands for 3-D Screen, I don't think the proper term to use is "NINTENDO THREE D(OUBLE) S(CREEN)".
    I took it as Nintendo 3-Double Screen. Works both ways.

        Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

  13. #213

    Default

    You guys going on about how there's no new kind of game cart: there is, it looks like a DS cart but has an extra block on top. I don't know if it's just a special cart for the DS/DSi or if it's a cart for the 3DS.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Everybody is wrong, the 3DS stands for.....3 Death Star.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Maybe the 3ds is an April fools joke.

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NJ. The good part. ;]
    Posts
    6,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Joker156 View Post
    Maybe the 3ds is an April fools joke.
    It's from nintendo and nintendo never does a joke like this.

    Twin: PhQnix Bishie: Kurapica Cartoon Bishie: Freakazoid Pair: Leona

    Samba Dinos don't need context.
    Xanga |Last FM

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post

    No one gives a damn if you don't think that constitutes a next-generation upgrade. And furthermore, do you really think it was by accident that boxes for the two different systems had a different system stripe on the side? If, as you say, the two were the same generation, why bother?
    I am going to sum this up very simply. BCVM22 says adding color graphics equals next gen upgrade. Glass Eye says next gen upgrade means all areas of performance are upgraded.

    Anyway, I am curious to see how the 3DS is actually going to work and whether the 3d will be enhance or detract from the games? I am leaning towards the improve right now as I doubt they would do anything too in your face that would ruin the experience.
    Last edited by Zazie; 27th March 2010 at 9:11 PM.

    Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/


  18. #218
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skiks View Post
    It's from nintendo and nintendo never does a joke like this.
    You hope

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Je vous jetterez en prison.
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Oh @ bcvm22, about peripherals.
    Gameboy Player
    Wireless LAN Adapter
    Gameboy Player Disc

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Joker156 View Post
    Maybe the 3ds is an April fools joke.
    It was announced kinda early for April Fools, wasn't it? And I REALLY doubt Nintendo would do that anyway. Reveal a new handheld all official-like, let hype build for a couple of weeks, and they say "OH HAHA IT WUZ A JOKE LOLOLZ!!1one". Lots of people would be p*ssed at Nintendo. It's not something a corporation whose main aim is to make money would do.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    On the floor
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mudkip View Post
    I never said it wasn't a lot of GBA, and besides, the gameboy micro was released after the DS era began, so you can scratch that one off your list

    How does the release date affect the fact that it's a GBA spin-off?

    Anyway, it can't be a April Fools joke since it wasn't announced on April Fools.
    MK Wii FC: 4125-3565-2043

    98% of teenagers cannot perform basic math. If you're one of the 7% who can, copy and paste this into your sig.

    I hack pokemon with my AR. Don't like it? Tough.

    FFIII DS sucks, and MMX6 sucks even more, but MMX7 is just crap.

    It is said that when it roars, a volcano erupts somewhere around the globe.

    ENTEI embodies the passion of magma. This POKEMON is thought to have been born in the eruption of a volcano. It blasts fire that consumes all it touches.

    ENTEI learns Roar at level 15.
    >_<

    Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon-dana
    But seriously, I agree with BitchBlast's point from a few posts back.

  22. #222
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dallas Texas of the USA
    Posts
    636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Only because it could, not because they were intended for it. Just as you can use GameCube peripherals and software with the Wii; you don't try and lump the Wii and GCN together on that basis, do you?



    Something mandated by Nintendo, because you don't take a legendarily large user install base like that of the original Game Boy - which had been around for nearly a decade at that point - and with the a snap of a finger, render each and every one of those games unable to be played, all at once. It's just not smart. Had Nintendo wanted to, they could have made each and every one of those dual-compatibility games Color-only, but they know what anyone could tell you and I just did tell you.



    And yet it could do something - any number of somethings - that the Game Boy/Pocket could not, and regardless of whether you understand, realize or accept that, that makes it a new generation of hardware. The Color could display in Color; the original could not. Guess what? It really is that simple.



    You know what the best part of all this is? I don't have to give you jack. I will, just to make sure you know full that this sorry excuse for a debate needs to be over, but I don't need to.

    As I mentioned above, it really is that simple. The Game Boy Color could do something that the Game Boy could not, which was display graphics in color. This allowed developers to create experiences they simply could not on the original Game Boy. Again, that simple. Super Mario Bros. was later ported to the Game Boy, as were any number of NES titles. None of them could have received that treatment on the original Game Boy, because downshifting a color title to monochrome doesn't work.

    No one gives a damn if you don't think that constitutes a next-generation upgrade. And furthermore, do you really think it was by accident that boxes for the two different systems had a different system stripe on the side? If, as you say, the two were the same generation, why bother?

    And furthermore:

    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gam...jsp?lm=classic

    What do you see there? I see "Original Game Boy" and "Game Boy Color" as two completely separate categories. Nintendo considers the two systems similar and linked but separate. So does the rest of the world. You can keep your inaccurate definition, but you have no argument here.



    Good thing you didn't make that bet, eh? You should take that $5 and sho- er, invest it. Yes, invest it.
    TLDR: Gameboy Color is complete graphical upgrade from the original Gameboy. The cartridges looked the same so that they can phased it out in about a year or so. The main question you should be asking is that either whether or not some of the 3DS games will play on the DS like some of the Gameboy Color Games on the original Gameboy. Because so far, we haven't seen any true graphical upgrades, or cartridges for that matter.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

  23. #223
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mudkip View Post
    I never said it wasn't a lot of GBA, and besides, the gameboy micro was released after the DS era began, so you can scratch that one off your list
    How does that fact remove it from the list? It's still a GBA... O_o

    Quote Originally Posted by natie View Post
    You guys going on about how there's no new kind of game cart: there is, it looks like a DS cart but has an extra block on top. I don't know if it's just a special cart for the DS/DSi or if it's a cart for the 3DS.
    You have no idea whether there is or not. Nintendo has shown nothing about this new console.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MECha View Post
    Because so far, we haven't seen any true graphical upgrades, or cartridges for that matter.
    Well we do know that it's using one of Nvidia's GPUs (Was it ION or Tegra..?) so logically that would dictate improved graphics, otherwise why bother with the extra hardware?


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  24. #224
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Je vous jetterez en prison.
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    How does that fact remove it from the list? It's still a GBA... O_o
    :U
    Because they'd already changed the cartridge format by releasing the DS.
    My whole point was they've gone through a damn lot of handheld WITHOUT INTRODUCING A NEW CARTRIDGE/MAJOR UPGRADE.

  25. #225
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mudkip View Post
    :U
    Because they'd already changed the cartridge format by releasing the DS.
    My whole point was they've gone through a damn lot of handheld WITHOUT INTRODUCING A NEW CARTRIDGE/MAJOR UPGRADE.
    Okay.. so Nintendo pretty much always does that, nothing new there.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Page 9 of 526 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •