Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: groudon best move set?

Question groudon best move set?

[color="Sienna"]Groudon's greatest move set, of course, includes solar beam, its special ability allows it to always attack no charge without the use of sunny day. Actually its ability pretty much is sunny day, so anything powered up by sunny day would be good. suggest needed

~Earthquake
    ~Solarbeam
    ~Flamethrower
    ~Brick Break

This could be useful

Solar Beam isn't what you want. Best to give what Pokemanyak suggested. Without Solar Beam. Swords Dance would help, a lot. And Fire Blast>Flame Thrower.
    beep boop

Groudon's greatest move set, of course, includes solar beam, its special ability allows it to always attack no charge without the use of sunny day. Actually its ability pretty much is sunny day, so anything powered up by sunny day would be good. suggest needed
    You are being sarcastic, right?

Groudon is a bloody awful special attacker. Earthquake will do far more damage to Kyogre & company than solar beam - believe me.

Try this:

Groudon
    Adamant/Jolly nature
    252 att, 252 speed, 6 hp
    Earthquake
    Swords dance
    Rock slide
    HP Bug/ other physical attack

If you were using it in 4th gen, you could could put maybe dragon claw/fire punch as its 4th move.

My shiny Pokemon pictures ~~ My shiny Pokemon videos
    AC:NL - Helen from Starlite ~
    3DS 1 FC: 2208-4574-2359 ~ 3DS 2 FC: 0834-1721-4212
    Newest shiny: Oshawott - 23rd October 2014 (Y - 1303 eggs)

an overheat would be good for the last slot as HP bug is not easy to get.

after all the drought ability can make up for the low special attack groudon has.
    Platinum friend code: 0474 6676 4516
    Black 2 friend code: 3225 3453 6809
        Spoiler:- dream world females i can breed: :

in-game events
    wifi events
    trades
    RE
    hatched(with SC no MM):
    current shiny hunt:egg count:56

my groudons moveset is:
    slash
    solarbeam
    fissure
    eruption

i reckon there really good moves
    Friend Code: 2895 7556 7788
    IGN: Bradley

I assume this is no evs?
    E-quake
    Brick break
    Rest/Slash
    Rockslide

slash-No
    solarbeam-No
    fissure-bad accuracy-No
    Eruption is better then the rest...
    beep boop

If you're going to use a special attack, you only want one on a Groudon- its not a special attacker by nature. Through restarting Ruby I have several pro attack nature Groudons; One has Solarbeam as an emergency Kyogre counter, one has Overheat (with White Herb) and the others don't have a special attack. Obviously, these two special attacks take advantage of Drought. Overheat can be replaced with Eruption, Fire Blast, Flamethrower etc.

However, a good one I like to use is Earthquake, Return, Brickbreak/Rock Slide/Ancient Power/HP Ghost or Bug, Bulk Up. Bear in mind that this is tailored to defeat common teams I face in my area and is not necessarily what you want to go with.

I'm running an ASB Member of the Month thread!
    Stay tuned to the TO and make the ASB a better place!

Modest Groudon (added with Specs/Wise Glasses in 4th Gen) can have devastating result with Solarbeam

If you DID train it to become a Special Sweeper (especially with the addition of the move Earth Power in 4th Gen), it CAN work, actually. But I agree, Groudon is better suited as Physical Sweeper.

You can go mixed if you want to, though. Pokemanyak's set is good for a Mixed set, but Rock Slide >>>>>>> Brick Break. RS + EQ = very wide coverage.
    Last edited by Shine; 15th June 2008 at 10:46 PM.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

although groundon isn't the best special attacker, it isn't the worst either, and with the added effect of not charging for solarbeam, I think the upsides outweigh the bad.
    p.s. groundon is 77/100 in sp. attack with a base of 100. that's not that bad.

Yeah, rock slide is generally more useful than brick break although less reliable. As has been said, special attacks aren't really the way to go.

Thumbs down

the most useless attack for groundon, sunny day, he's already got that covered

Sorry, but althought there are advantages there are more disadvantages. Its an excellent physical sweeper and there are better special sweepers. If you use it as a special one, unless you're battling Linoones and Wurmples, its gonna be outclassed. Mixed sweeping ok, but not all out special.

My Groudon:

Groudon Lv70 Modest nature
    Attacks
    Fire Blast
    Brick Break
    Earthquake
    Solar Beam
    Stats
    HP: 236
    Attack: 195
    Defense: 216
    Sp. Atk: 161
    Sp. Def: 166
    Speed: 161

Fire Blast gains 100% accuracy with Sunny Day/Drought. Solar Beam works on the turn it's used. Brick Break covers a lot and is a physical attack, and does wonders on Light Screen and Reflect. Earthquake is for STAB.
    Final Fantasy XI stats
    [Naraku] [Elvaan male] [Windurst] [Rank 5]

[WAR35] [MNK35] [WHM27] [BLM25] [RDM37] [THF27] [PLD29] [DRK35] [BST27] [RNG27] [BRD27] [SMN25] [NIN26] [SAM35] [DRG36] [BLU26] [COR1] [PUP1] [DNC20] [SCH24]

Currently PLD29/WAR14

^
    As you can see, even with Modest Nature, its Attack might still be higher (and having Modest Nature while possessing high Attack is a "waste" IMO). To have a full special sweeping Groudon you'll need not just Modest Nature, but also suitable EVs & IVs, which is not easy to do (especially the IV part).

So yeah, go with Physical on Groudon. Mixed is fine, but I don't really like the full Special one, even if it has the potential to do so.

And RS+EQ is a must on Groudon, no matter which one you used be it Physical or Mixed. RS+EQ offers full coverage, Brick Break is not needed as it's not like Light Screen & Reflect are THAT common......

EDIT : and I think I have ranked up again without me knowing about it sooner.....

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

And people, Brick Break and Earthquake are useless together (pretty much).

Earthquake is power 100, and gets STAB, making it power 150.
    Brick Break is power 75.

Brick Break does double against Dark-types and Ice-types, so it becomes 150, so Earthquake is just as strong. Brick Break also does double damage against Rock-types and Steel-types, but so does Earthquake.

And Earthquake does nothing to Flying-types, but Brick Break does very little too. And if it's and Ice/Flying or Steel/Flying, you've got your Fire-type move (hopefully Overheat).

Use Rock Slide or even Ancientpower instead of Brick Break, or try Hidden Power Flying, Bug, Rock or Ghost.

Talking

my current groundon moves
    eruption
    solarbeam
    strength
    brickbreak
    going to eventually switch brick break with earthquake, and possibly strength with a fire move of equal or greater power

My Groudon has the attacks
    EQ
    RS
    SD
    Hidden Power [Ghost]
    Which I find very useful... HP Ghost is there for Claydol, who would otherwise Hurt :P

It's a very Jolly ^_^ Groudon lol.

Nice one on getting HP Ghost, the last one I trained got Water... I was not happy.

On that moveset Sceptile master, I would swap Strength for Return- a stronger attack. I really would swap one of those two special attacks for Swords dance/ Bulk up as well.

Yeah, it took me a pretty long while to realise that it was Ghost, and after that... It took me a while to take in how lucky I was :P

Remember, HP Bug always works too... Just as long as it isn't Rock or Ground lol.

Come to think about it, it might be able to Physical Wall, just not very well...

EQ
    RS
    Substitute
    Bulk Up

Might not be too bad an option :P

I don't know about substitute, if using focus punch then yes.

current moves:
    earthquake
    brick break
    eruption
    solar beam

Eruption is hardly worth having. Since Groudon's HP will rarely hang around long enough to make use of it given the large quantity of water pokemon/specials. This is made worse by how slow Groudon is.

Solar Beam? His special is horrible. The base power and his ability makes it look good, but honestly it isn't. The ONLY use you'll get out of Solar Beam is another Groudon. But why bother?

My Groudon has:
    Ancient Power (R/S didn't have Rockslide)
    Earthquake
    Sword Dance
    Hidden Power Ghost.

I'll have to change mine soon. Given that it's been dragged over to D/P.

A degree of customization to your Groudon can make you happy. But if your aim is competitive play you need to take everyone's advice into account before settling with a final moveset. If you're just playing in your game, why are you asking for a moveset?

I don't know about substitute, if using focus punch then yes
    Focus(Falcon) Punching Groudon is a nice choice if you can set up the Substitute without it being canceled immediately.

Kisuke Urahara from Bleach - Supergodzilla1
    MY BISHIE!!!

The moveset I used was Dragon Claw, Slash, EQ and Bulk up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast