Thread: Pokemon Fanfiction OC Cliches

Post Pokemon Fanfiction OC Cliches

Hi all, Okay so i'm very new here so please excuse me if I do something wrong or whatever. (Do point it out to me as well)

Anyways, I want to start writing on a Pokemon Fanfic. It's going to include a few OCs, but only a few main ones. I have thought of the whole entire plot and all, and all I need to start writing to complete everything.

The thing is, I know there are some cliche plots out there, and I want to make sure that my plot or anything isn't cliche, I really want it to be unique and original, but I need help finding out what plots have been popping up continuously.

Also, this Fanfiction includes Canon characters inside with one OC of mine paired with one, so I would like only those story kind of cliches to be named.

I'd really appreciate your help in this matter! Thank you!
    ~AutumnFeather

If you have to ask if its cliche, it may well be. But the only way to be certain is to read some of the popular Fan-Fictions by other writers. But if you think its original, it probably is. Anyway even if it isn't the most original thing ever, I'm sure you can still make it original with enough care.

Good ay!

~Evanarios
    Hello my name is Evanarios, I will help you with anything... If you need help just ask me or Serebii Staff

I suggest reading Advice for Aspiring Authors if you are starting to write, or even if you are experienced.

It'd help if you actually told us what your story is or at least narrowing it down to a genre (is it a journey story, dark story, romance story, etc.). =P People could rant on and on about cliches if you gave them that much room to argue about it.

Also, this Fanfiction includes Canon characters inside with one OC of mine paired with one, so I would like only those story kind of cliches to be named.
    Well, it's not really a "cliche" (I think), but when you have an OC paired with a canon character, an author usually makes the canon character incredibly out-of-character in order to suit this pairing, which is a bigger problem then having your story contain a few cliches. This itself may make a few readers weary, especially fangirls/boys of said character.

You know, certain problems that happen with original characters, especially when mixed with canon characters, is that the author tends to make these characters "Mary Sue." It's a term reviewers throw around like a beach ball to characterize a perfect character who has little to no faults. She is beautiful, smart, rich, great at training, never loses, and so on. Stereotypes include getting the canon character and making him/her OOC in order to be with the OC. So be careful.

Other than that, I wouldn't stress yourself out if your story does contain a cliche or too. It's how you write your story, really. But if you really want people to delve into detail about cliches, try narrowing your topic down to what your story is (vaguely) about.

Oh. Um well, my story is based on the manga, and it has romance, but I plan to go slowly, instead of just INSTANT, like I have read in certain fics.

About my Plot, well, I dislike disclosing it so openly like this because it will give spoilers for people that will read (or stumble upon) it later when I do publish it. But if you REALLY need to know my plot, feel free to PM me and tell me why

Also, I plan to keep the canon characters in-character because It turns me off as well when I see them behaving in ways they should not be behaving due to their personality.

Anyway, would you care to elaborate on the Pokemon Mary-sue? I would like to know so that I can avoid unwanted traits in my OC

Just one last question: On FF.net when I read Pokemon Fics, sometimes I see the words" Contestshipping, Ikarishipping, shipping shipping shipping whatsoevershipping...." Could anyone tell me what those words mean?

I'd greatly appreciate your answers! Thank you!
    Living life like a Fairytale~ x3
    -Yours Truly

Fanfictions by me~
    Phantasmagoria - Pokecommunity | Serebii

I believe, and anyone can correct me here. What they mean by that is Contestshipping is like Drew/May. Like May/Ash shipping (Or pairing) is Advancedshipping, I think Dawn/Ash is Sinnohshipping or Pearlshipping. Mostly shipping is pairing two characters together, so if I say pair Cynthia and Flannery up (Yes shipping also usually pairs two characters who wouldn't normally get together like AshxPaul, which I think is Rivalshipping. Or where you think they would like Rocketshipping Jessie/James) it would be Championshipping or Gymshipping.

Now if I got that all correct I will be surprised since I don't really do shipping much I just read about it.

As for the topic if you want to avoid cliches and make your character/story original then my suggestion is try to read many Pokemon fanfics as you can and try to see what kind of original plot you can come up with. I myself want to write a Pokemon journey but want to create an original plot and original beginning but I haven't thought of one yet, thus no fanfic yet.

Now onto Mary-sue. Often when a character is made out to be perfect in the story. Beautiful, strong, flawless, always winning the battles. Always right and loved by all of the characters in the story then she is a mary sue (Guys are called Gary stu) like Breezy explained. In order to avoid it then try to make your character flawed, not always winning the battle. I had a story a year ago about an actress going on a journey (Based on my favorite actress) and what saved her from being a Mary sue is that she wasn't perfect. She had a fear of the Charmander line because her husband had been killed by a Charizard. (That's what I was told anyways) and she had a reason for not leaving at 10 and instead at 30.
    Last edited by Willow's Tara; 19th April 2010 at 9:23 AM.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

What manga do you mean?

A lot of people say Ruby, Yellow, and Hareta are Canon Sues ("perfect" characters as discussed above, only from canon. Note that most people don't seem to mind it in Hareta since he's enjoyable to read).

Also, just because something's cliched doesn't mean it can't still be good. Heck, most of the series is a cliche at this point, but we play because we enjoy it.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Quote Originally Posted by Willow's Tara View Post
    I believe, and anyone can correct me here. What they mean by that is Contestshipping is like Drew/May. Like May/Ash shipping (Or pairing) is Advancedshipping, I think Dawn/Ash is Sinnohshipping or Pearlshipping. Mostly shipping is pairing two characters together, so if I say pair Cynthia and Flannery up (Yes shipping also usually pairs two characters who wouldn't normally get together like AshxPaul, which I think is Rivalshipping. Or where you think they would like Rocketshipping Jessie/James) it would be Championshipping or Gymshipping.

Now if I got that all correct I will be surprised since I don't really do shipping much I just read about it.

As for the topic if you want to avoid cliches and make your character/story original then my suggestion is try to read many Pokemon fanfics as you can and try to see what kind of original plot you can come up with. I myself want to write a Pokemon journey but want to create an original plot and original beginning but I haven't thought of one yet, thus no fanfic yet.

Now onto Mary-sue. Often when a character is made out to be perfect in the story. Beautiful, strong, flawless, always winning the battles. Always right and loved by all of the characters in the story then she is a mary sue (Guys are called Gary stu) like Breezy explained. In order to avoid it then try to make your character flawed, not always winning the battle. I had a story a year ago about an actress going on a journey (Based on my favorite actress) and what saved her from being a Mary sue is that she wasn't perfect. She had a fear of the Charmander line because her husband had been killed by a Charizard. (That's what I was told anyways) and she had a reason for not leaving at 10 and instead at 30.
    Thank you for the advice! I think I know what to do for my plot already. I just hope people don't get the wrong idea for the first few chapters...
    -Yours Truly

Fanfictions by me~

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    What manga do you mean?

A lot of people say Ruby, Yellow, and Hareta are Canon Sues ("perfect" characters as discussed above, only from canon. Note that most people don't seem to mind it in Hareta since he's enjoyable to read).

Also, just because something's cliched doesn't mean it can't still be good. Heck, most of the series is a cliche at this point, but we play because we enjoy it.
    Well, its based on the manga so far, but I think it would be after everything has settled so the adventure I want to put into my fic can start. Because if too many things are going on, it could get pretty messy.
    -Yours Truly

Fanfictions by me~

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnFeather View Post
    Well, its based on the manga so far,
    As a bit of help here, Blackjack's asking you which manga because there's more than one. Granted, whenever someone says "the manga," they usually mean Special (the one with all the characters named after versions of the games), but there's also Diamond and Pearl Adventure (where Hareta is the main character), Magical Pokémon Journey, and a few others.

I'm not sure if it matters entirely concerning the subject of clichés (although I think Special has its own set of popular plotlines fic authors have used to death in the same way the anime has its own special set), but I just wanted to point this out to clear any confusion about that question she just asked.

Otherwise, you'll find my response on PC. I can't really offer any advice on whether or not your specific plot is cliché because I don't really know what it is. *shrug* The best I can tell you to do is poke around the community and figure out what's been done by yourself.

As for Sues, Willow's got a good explanation (and Astinus linked you to an article about them on PC), but it can also be summed up with one line: any character who bends the laws of the canon (physics, the way canon characters normally act, the actual laws of that world) in a way that the world essentially revolves around them.
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 19th April 2010 at 8:16 PM.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    As a bit of help here, Blackjack's asking you which manga because there's more than one. Granted, whenever someone says "the manga," they usually mean Special (the one with all the characters named after versions of the games), but there's also Diamond and Pearl Adventure (where Hareta is the main character), Magical Pokémon Journey, and a few others.
    Ah, Sorry, I kinda forgot there were multiple mangas for pokemon. I'm doing the one where the characters are named: Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, so on and so forth.

Well, I posted up my prologue, but unfortunately its not gaining much attention. Maybe it wasn't catchy enough? :S

i'd appreciate if you would take a look at it and give me a little feedback? :3
    Here's the two links on the two forums i'm currently using.

PC

Serebii

Thank you very much once again!
    ~AutumnFeather
    -Yours Truly

Fanfictions by me~