Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Team Building Basics Guide

Sorry for the long delay here guys. I've just been busy with exams and generally tired, so. I haven't forgotten about this guide, and I'll have it finished soon. Although the bulk of it's already done anyway.

Just a thought, you may want to put Choice Scarf in the
    defensive items section as well, with a reference to the
    TrickScarf strategy.

^Click it!^

I think just give Trick/Switcheroo their own section, Choice items are not the only thing that you can swap to hinder the foe.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySnorlax View Post
    Just a thought, you may want to put Choice Scarf in the
    defensive items section as well, with a reference to the
    TrickScarf strategy.
    For general in-game play, it's a far more offensive item given that TrickScarf isn't really very good because the opponent keeps your item, iirc, although if someone could confirm this it'd be great

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Trainer View Post
    I think just give Trick/Switcheroo their own section, Choice items are not the only thing that you can swap to hinder the foe.
    The issue being that the AI rarely has its Pokémon hold items anyway, and so these moves will fail, although it's a good idea. I might edit it in if I can get confirmation on the thing I mentioned a minute ago.

Both Trick and Switcheroo will work even if the opponent holds nothing, the only requirement is at least 1 of the Pokemon hold an item to be swapped

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.

Whawhawha... Wow. I never knew that. Then, if you can confirm that you get your item back at the end, then I'll consider making note of it.

Eh, I forgot to mention - both moves will always fail if a wild Pokemon use them - but that's in the case where mine hold an item while the wild Pokemon didn't hold anything. Probably a safety measure to prevent us from losing the item if we accidentally knocked out the wild Pokemon.

Haven't test what would happen if both mine and the wild Pokemon holds an item, though.
    That would require me to swap an item to a wild Kadabra in Cerulean Cave, then switch into another Pokemon who holds an item, and wait until the wild Kadabra used Trick....

And you CAN get your item back in the end....but only in Battle Tower/Frontier. At least that's what happened last time I went there with a TrickBander.
    In wild battles (and ingame trainer battles), you have to swap it back yourself, otherwise you'll lose it forever.

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

I have been Wondering What STAB means

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Trainer View Post
    Eh, I forgot to mention - both moves will always fail if a wild Pokemon use them - but that's in the case where mine hold an item while the wild Pokemon didn't hold anything. Probably a safety measure to prevent us from losing the item if we accidentally knocked out the wild Pokemon.

Haven't test what would happen if both mine and the wild Pokemon holds an item, though.
    That would require me to swap an item to a wild Kadabra in Cerulean Cave, then switch into another Pokemon who holds an item, and wait until the wild Kadabra used Trick....

And you CAN get your item back in the end....but only in Battle Tower/Frontier. At least that's what happened last time I went there with a TrickBander.
    In wild battles (and ingame trainer battles), you have to swap it back yourself, otherwise you'll lose it forever.
    Hm... It seems an interesting move, but not of enough value imo for in-game use. I mean, there are only a few items worth swapping for your average non-BT match and can probably be replaced by something more efficient, for example, Toxic > Toxic Orb + Trick or something like that. Thanks for the info, but I think I'll be leaving it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhound26 View Post
    I have been Wondering What STAB means
    Well, I hope this guide helped you then.

I would like to point out that two turn moves like Fly and Dig are extremely effective ingame. The AI is stupid, and the trainers always use damaging moves when the pokemon is underground/flying etc and miss. You then get to use your attack. Effective if you want to avoid an attack or waste a PP of an opponents move.
    Formerly, Chariking

Quote Originally Posted by ~-Overheat-~ View Post
    I would like to point out that two turn moves like Fly and Dig are extremely effective ingame. The AI is stupid, and the trainers always use damaging moves when the pokemon is underground/flying etc and miss. You then get to use your attack. Effective if you want to avoid an attack or waste a PP of an opponents move.
    Effective, perhaps, for you. Efficient, no. Whether something is effective in-game is irrelevant: anything goes. The key to making a successful in-game team is efficiency. Fly and Dig require two turns to operate, which is inefficient compared to, say, EQ or Aerial Ace. Efficiency is the reason stall teams and defensive strategies are frowned upon in the most part. Effectiveness and efficiency: don't get them confused.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueRabbit View Post
    ~ After one boost, you will have increased your stat by 50% or 1.5x.
    ~ After two boosts, you will have increased your stat by 100% or 1x.
    ~ After three boosts, you will have increased your stat by 150% or 2.5x.
    ~ After four boosts, you will have increased your stat by 200% or 3x.
    ~ After five boosts, you will have increased your stat by 250% or 3.5x.
    ~ After six boosts, you will have increased your stat by 300% or 4x.
    Maybe it's better to point it out like this:
    One boost - 150% or 1,5x of the original.
    Two boosts - 200% or 2x of the original.
    etc.
    Not that layout or something, but just to avoid misunderstanding, keeping the link between original and boost in, because you already putted a mistake in it:

~ After one boost, you will have increased your stat by 50% or 1.5x.
    ~ After two boosts, you will have increased your stat by 100% or 1x.
    ~ After three boosts, you will have increased your stat by 150% or 2.5x.
    ~ After four boosts, you will have increased your stat by 200% or 3x.
    ~ After five boosts, you will have increased your stat by 250% or 3.5x.
    ~ After six boosts, you will have increased your stat by 300% or 4x.
    Should be 100% or 2x in your punctation.
    ~ Reinier

Quote Originally Posted by FoldingScreen View Post
    imo MixPedo could work here

^ Well, whichever format I use it shouldn't be too hard to understand, although that mistake you pointed out was pretty sloppy of me tbh. I guess your format is a bit easier to understand, so I'll use it. Thanks.

I recommend that you feature all the items and how to use them correctly.
    For example:

@Zap Plate
    -Thunder Wave
    -Thunderbolt/Thunder Fang
    -Protect
    -Light Screen
    I know how random it actually gets, but that's one (rubbish) set for the Zap Plate to benefit from. Then again, it's JUST an example.
    I drift in and out. I'm more into the glitchy side of things, hate nearly everything post-HGSS.
    I'll probably forget what I offer on trade pages. If I do, just message me on Tumblr as I'm always on there.

Tumblr

Terry, shut up and go away. IGTR has enough trolls without you coming back here.
    156 Pokemon in the Unova dex. 6 of them are event Pokemon.
    151 Pokemon in the Kanto dex. 1 of them is an event Pokemon.

When you see it...

Quote Originally Posted by ungulateman View Post
    Terry, shut up and go away. IGTR has enough trolls without you coming back here.
    Hell no.
    Just because I'm actually good at the game and I'm 11 doesn't mean you should flame me.
    I drift in and out. I'm more into the glitchy side of things, hate nearly everything post-HGSS.
    I'll probably forget what I offer on trade pages. If I do, just message me on Tumblr as I'm always on there.

Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Terry. T. View Post
    I'm 11
    You're 12. gg.

Although judging by the fact that you feel the need to lie about your age on the internet, I'd say you were at least 30.
    Last edited by Noctourniquet; 25th July 2010 at 2:24 PM.

You're 12. gg.

Although judging by the fact that you feel the need to lie about your age on the internet, I'd say you were at least 30.
    Yeah I forgot. XD
    Anyway yeah. Remember what I told you in VM. The motto thing.

Tumblr

I deleted a fair few posts on the first page just so the first two parts of the guide are consecutive. Thanks to everyone who participated and commented on this!
    Alpha SapphireL

Quote Originally Posted by Terry. T. View Post
    I recommend that you feature all the items and how to use them correctly.
    For example:

@Zap Plate
    -Thunder Wave
    -Thunderbolt/Thunder Fang
    -Protect
    -Light Screen
    I know how random it actually gets, but that's one (rubbish) set for the Zap Plate to benefit from. Then again, it's JUST an example.
    It doesn't need to be included because you could always use a better item than a type-related item. If you're such a good player then you should know that suggesting a typerelated is bad advice, especially in a guide.
    ~ Reinier

Quote Originally Posted by FoldingScreen View Post
    imo MixPedo could work here

wow thx bluerabbit i actually learned a few things from this its really helpful keep it up

go hidan

I don't use "uber" Pokemon,I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection and I sometimes care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are barring unfortunate natures, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.(Started by Tyranitar and re-worded a little by me)

http://pokefarm.org/_ext/user/InfernapeX3
    please hold my eggs and feed my pokemon

I just downloaded the Enigma Stone event for Latias , but found out I still haven't picked up the event Jirachi and I was just wondering what natures and moves I should give them.
    I HAVE CLAIMED DARKRAI!

BOW DOWN BEFORE ME OR SUFFER THE WRATH OF MY SHADOWS!!!

Spoiler:- My Friend Codes/Things I am searching for:

Who would win in a one on one battle? A not-fully-evolved man-made Pokemon or the creator of the whole world? http://i25.*******.com/2v3oq2u.gif

If you copy and paste this into your signature, you will have copied and pasted it into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyshaymin492 View Post
    I just downloaded the Enigma Stone event for Latias , but found out I still haven't picked up the event Jirachi and I was just wondering what natures and moves I should give them.
    Wrong thread. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=318709 is the one you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by lucario295 View Post
    wow thx bluerabbit i actually learned a few things from this its really helpful keep it up
    I appreciate the kind comment. Glad it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireL View Post
    I deleted a fair few posts on the first page just so the first two parts of the guide are consecutive. Thanks to everyone who participated and commented on this!
    Thanks again for that. ^_^

I'm new here since, I don't know, a week? Well, before this I used to play pokemon, just playing, nothing else. Not thinking about Natures, EV's/IV's (I didn't even know what they are) etc.

Now, Natures are very easy to understand, just look at the list and you can see what stat is decreased and increased. But EV's are alot more difficult :S.

Here's a example of the problem I'm stuck with:

I have a Heracross level 28. I want it to max out Attack and Speed. With the things I know about EV's this is written like 252 Atk/252 Spe right? Then I got 4 EV's left, I'll just put them on HP or something, so 4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe.

But I have no idea which EV's I collected on it's way to level 28. How can I reset it? Or how am I supposed to know what EV's I have trained? I read alot about EV's, and as far as I know, I can't check which EV's I trained so far, right?

To max my Heracross' Speed for example, I'll have to beat 252 Magikarps (right?).
    (Not inlcuding Vitamins ans stuff which make it alot more difficult for me lol).

Put when will I notice that my Speed is higher than a average Hercross? The boost of 63+ will be visible finally when you get it to level 100 (right?).
    But when my Heracross is level 40, and I did beat 252 Magikarps. Will it be slowly working it's way to a final boost of 63+?

So my 2 question:
    - How can I see which EV's I've trained so far, since I didn't care about it when I trained my Hercross his way to level 28 (still an example) ? Or can't you see this, and do I have to reset it (if this is possible), how?
    - After I beat 252 Magikarps, this will provide a boost of 63+ Speed at level 100. But will I notice this when I just level?

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really curious when it comes to training pokemon since I've never did it like this before, paying attention to all those factors. Also, I know there are alot of guides on the internet (like this whole thread). And I do understand most of it (I'm dutch, my english isn't pro m'kay?) but I wonder if someone could just explain it a bit easier (There aren't any dutch pokemon help sites).

Thanks alot in advance.

-3dxbox

Welcome to SPPf.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dxbox View Post
    I have a Heracross level 28. I want it to max out Attack and Speed. With the things I know about EV's this is written like 252 Atk/252 Spe right? Then I got 4 EV's left, I'll just put them on HP or something, so 4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe.
    Yes, that is all correct. 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe will work fine, assuming you aren't using a ScarfCross.

But I have no idea which EV's I collected on it's way to level 28. How can I reset it? Or how am I supposed to know what EV's I have trained? I read alot about EV's, and as far as I know, I can't check which EV's I trained so far, right?
    There are a set of berries, #21 - #26 found here which reduce your EVs firstly to 100, and then by another 10 points on each proceeding use, meaning that it takes up to 11 berries to reach 0 EVs.

To max my Heracross' Speed for example, I'll have to beat 252 Magikarps (right?).
    (Not inlcuding Vitamins ans stuff which make it alot more difficult for me lol).
    Yes. However, having your Pokémon hold the Power Anklet will give it an extra 4 Spe EVs every battle. Couple that with PokéRus, a condition which gives you 2x the normal number of EVs, and you need only battle 25 Magikarp with the Anklet and one without it to gain your 252 EVs.

Put when will I notice that my Speed is higher than a average Hercross? The boost of 63+ will be visible finally when you get it to level 100 (right?).
    But when my Heracross is level 40, and I did beat 252 Magikarps. Will it be slowly working it's way to a final boost of 63+?
    Yes, at Lv 100 you will have an extra 63 stat points. Over time, however, you will notice that your Heracross outclasses the others that have not been EV'd in Spe. Basically, although you won't have the full benefit until Lv 100, you will still be superior to other Heracross of your level over the time that you are training it. You should have gained around an extra 31 points by Lv 50, so I'd estimate about 24 points by Lv 40.

Hope this answers your questions.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast