Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Team Building Basics Guide

Yes, that is all correct. 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe will work fine, assuming you aren't using a ScarfCross.
    Sorry, what's a ScarfCross? Some sort of item? Or a name given to a Heracross with a peticulair moveset etc.?

There are a set of berries, #21 - #26 found here which reduce your EVs firstly to 100, and then by another 10 points on each proceeding use, meaning that it takes up to 11 berries to reach 0 EVs.
    If I wanna EV train my Heracross into 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe, I have to feed it berries to first reduce it's EV to 0. Then train it so I can keep track of how many EV I have, and stop if I reached 252.. right?

Yes. However, having your Pokémon hold the Power Anklet will give it an extra 4 Spe EVs every battle. Couple that with PokéRus, a condition which gives you 2x the normal number of EVs, and you need only battle 25 Magikarp with the Anklet and one without it to gain your 252 EVs.
    Oh yes, I heard about those items. Pokérus is extremely hard to get, so I'll just do it with the Power Anklet (does it take long to get @ Battle Frontier? I started playing HG couple of days ago, and I'm now at the Radio Tower where TR is).

Yes, at Lv 100 you will have an extra 63 stat points. Over time, however, you will notice that your Heracross outclasses the others that have not been EV'd in Spe. Basically, although you won't have the full benefit until Lv 100, you will still be superior to other Heracross of your level over the time that you are training it. You should have gained around an extra 31 points by Lv 50, so I'd estimate about 24 points by Lv 40.
    If I finally reached 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe, can I just own every other Pokemon then without worries?

To try this al out, I think I'm going to EV train my Pichu for the first time. It's level 5 (just hatched it and migrated from Emerald with Volt Tackle). How should I EV train it? How about 4 SpD/252 SpA/252 Spe ? I read that you can just put an Exp. Share on and he still gets EV points.

Thanks alot for helping though, helps me alot . Sorry I have more questions ;$.
    I can imagine I can't keep discussing this here, do I have to send PM's at a certain moment then?

-3dxbox
    Last edited by 3dxbox; 3rd August 2010 at 9:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dxbox View Post
    Sorry, what's a ScarfCross? Some sort of item? Or a name given to a Heracross with a peticulair moveset etc.?
    It's a Heracross that's equipped with a Choice Scarf as its item.

If I wanna EV train my Heracross into 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe, I have to feed it berries to first reduce it's EV to 0. Then train it so I can keep track of how many EV I have, and stop if I reached 252.. right?
    Correct.

Oh yes, I heard about those items. Pokérus is extremely hard to get, so I'll just do it with the Power Anklet (does it take long to get @ Battle Frontier? I started playing HG couple of days ago, and I'm now at the Radio Tower where TR is).
    Not really, it's 16 Battle Points.

If I finally reached 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe, can I just own every other Pokemon then without worries?
    Unless you do something stupid like setting youreself up against a Moltres, then more or less. This only applies to in-game, though.

To try this al out, I think I'm going to EV train my Pichu for the first time. It's level 5 (just hatched it and migrated from Emerald with Volt Tackle). How should I EV train it? How about 4 SpD/252 SpA/252 Spe ? I read that you can just put an Exp. Share on and he still gets EV points.
    If you want Pichu to be able to use Volt Tackle, I'd train it with a spread of 140 Atk / 116 SpA / 252 Spe with a Hasty or Naive Nature and keep it as a Pikachu with a Light Ball attached.

Thanks alot for helping though, helps me alot . Sorry I have more questions ;$.
    I can imagine I can't keep discussing this here, do I have to send PM's at a certain moment then?

-3dxbox
    If you have questions on single rates, then post them in the Single Rates thread here. Then you can post as many as you want.
    Last edited by Eon Master; 4th August 2010 at 2:47 AM.
    "I'm fighting because there's a battle to be fought, Archer. I'm fighting to win. That's all."
    "Hm. Alright, Rin. You are indeed my ideal Master. There is no one else I could hope to serve."

For those with lucarios, my uncle gave me a sweet move set you could use

Aura sphere
    Dark pulse(have to use move tutor to get)
    Stone Edge
    Rock climb

^Cool Story Bro

If you want Pichu to be able to use Volt Tackle, I'd train it with a spread of 140 Atk / 116 SpA / 252 Spe with a Hasty or Naive Nature and keep it as a Pikachu with a Light Ball attached.
    Héhé, I hatched about 25 Pichu's with Volt Tackle, finally got one with Naive nature.
    Now I will just exp share train it on some Goldeen, Psyduck/Mareep and Ratata's/Raticate's to get to the final 140 Atk / 116 SpA / 252 Spe.

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Terry. T. View Post
    I recommend that you feature all the items and how to use them correctly.
    For example:

@Zap Plate
    -Thunder Wave
    -Thunderbolt/Thunder Fang
    -Protect
    -Light Screen
    I know how random it actually gets, but that's one (rubbish) set for the Zap Plate to benefit from. Then again, it's JUST an example.

I was just wondering how you would even benefit from a set like this? What type advantages do you beat? Water and Flying? Seriousily tell mme one reason why someone would ever use this set? Whatt so you can stall them by using Twave? Then what? uselessly use protect? An accurate and effeciant team would at least include more than one Hp drawing attack at most. Very few pokemon can pull that off. One not being Luxray.
    Recent Shiny
    Shinies Lost:2
    3ds Friend Code: 3024-6649-7407 PM me for Other Safaris!
    Safari Type:Psychic
    Espurr, Grumpig, Duosion

Quote Originally Posted by Gligari View Post
    I was just wondering how you would even benefit from a set like this? What type advantages do you beat? Water and Flying? Seriousily tell mme one reason why someone would ever use this set? Whatt so you can stall them by using Twave? Then what? uselessly use protect? An accurate and effeciant team would at least include more than one Hp drawing attack at most. Very few pokemon can pull that off. One not being Luxray.
    He's obviously a troll, why the hell did you reply to that?

I guess It made me feel smarter.
    Recent Shiny
    Shinies Lost:2
    3ds Friend Code: 3024-6649-7407 PM me for Other Safaris!
    Safari Type:Psychic
    Espurr, Grumpig, Duosion

and me slightly dummer for reading the exchange

And me slightly dumber for even going on Serebii.
    156 Pokemon in the Unova dex. 6 of them are event Pokemon.
    151 Pokemon in the Kanto dex. 1 of them is an event Pokemon.

When you see it...

Quote Originally Posted by ungulateman View Post
    And me slightly dumber for even going on Serebii.
    10charlimit

I see what u did thar. ^^

^Click it!^

Hahahahahahaha

Can someone rate this shiny Giratina I got in a GTS trade?

Level 100
    Jolly Nature
    Shadow Force-7pp
    Draco Meteor
    Aura Sphere
    Hyper Beam

Altered Form stats

Hp 441
    Attack 252
    Defense 271
    Special Attack 218
    Special Defense 273
    Speed 250

Origin Form stats

Hp 441
    Attack 292
    Defense 231
    Special Attack 254
    Special Defense 233
    Speed 250
    I HAVE CLAIMED DARKRAI!

BOW DOWN BEFORE ME OR SUFFER THE WRATH OF MY SHADOWS!!!

Spoiler:- My Friend Codes/Things I am searching for:

Who would win in a one on one battle? A not-fully-evolved man-made Pokemon or the creator of the whole world? http://i25.*******.com/2v3oq2u.gif

If you copy and paste this into your signature, you will have copied and pasted it into your signature.

This isn't where that goes, try the singles rate thread here.

^Click it!^

Hm...
    I read some of this guide, and I disagree with the guide saying that Fly/Bounce/Dig/Dive are bad moves. There are several situations where having those moves are really useful:

1.) When in a Double Battle, one of your pokemon uses Fly/Bounce/Dig/Dive, while your other pokemon uses a Hit-everyone attack like Surf. That way, you can hit your opponents while your other pokemon has flown/bounced/dug/dove out of the way.
    2.) Great way to hit a FASTER opponent who's also using Fly/Bounce/Dig/Dive. (The foe's Fearow flew up high! Pidgeot flew up high! The foe's Fearow used Fly! The foe's Fearow's attack missed! Pidgeot used Fly! Bang!)
    3.) Can avoid supereffective moves (and all moves)
    4.) Can deplete the foe's PP.
    I derp.

"Don't take chances! Don't make mistakes! But get Messi, definitely get Messi!" - If Joachim Loew quoted Ms. Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by American--Pi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taavetti View Post
    Out of the three, I'd marry the soccer ball.

Hyper Beam and Hyper Beam-esque moves.
    These moves are incredibly powerful, but they leave you completely immobile next turn. You cannot use items, you cannot switch, and you cannot attack during this time. In virtually every case, you can use two turns more productively, and so these moves should always be avoided. The moves are Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, Rock Wrecker, and Roar of Time.
    Competitively this is correct. In-game this is COMPLETELY wrong. Hyper Beam is easy to get in almost all Pokemon games. When used on a Pokemon with high Special Attack (or attack for Giga Impact) that also gets STAB on the move it has enough power to OHKO a gym leader's Pokemon. If you faint the enemy you will be asked if you want to switch. SAY YES and you will not have to wait out the recharge.

Additionally, First Turn charge moves should be avoided for the same reason. They are Dive, Dig, Fly, Razor Wind, Sky Attack, Skull Bash, Solarbeam, and Shadow Force. Focus Punch is not one of these moves.
    First turn charge up moves are usually bad, but Dig / Fly / Shadow Force are all usable in game. Skull Bash also gives you a defense boost.

^However, if you can't get an OHKO (which is possible when considering resistances, enemy screens, general stat boost or drops out of one's favor, and no STAB), you leave yourself open to what may be the loss of your own Pokemon. I believe AlCario once stated the difference between a move's effectiveness and its efficieny. In the case of Hyper Beam-esque moves, they can be highly effective, but are inefficient enough that it's recommended to try to stay away from them. It definitely falls into the 'terrible-in-a-worst-case-scenario' pile, which is what must be considered (imo) when trying to successfully rate in-game teams. The same argument goes for Fly-like moves, which are also outclassed by many other moves, such as (to address a previous poster) Protect, Spite, and priority moves. It doesn't mean that any of these two categories of moves are disgustingly bad, but there are normally safer alternatives to deal with both common and trying battles.

It's also worth noting that it's good practice for the BT to not rely on being given the opportunity to switch out, but that's completely imo. I believe the SET option accomplishes this (as opposed to SHIFT), but don't quote me on that one.
    Thinking about posting a team in the 5th Gen IGRMT sub-forum? Be sure to read the rules before proceeding. Are you looking to have only one Pokemon rated? Then check out our Single Rate Thread for movesets and help. Thanks!

my snorlax has a attack of 144 and knows giga impact what should i use to replace it it also knows rock slide crunch and soon earthquake any suggestions??

^Wrong thread. Post, in accordance with IGRMT's format rules, here.
    Thinking about posting a team in the 5th Gen IGRMT sub-forum? Be sure to read the rules before proceeding. Are you looking to have only one Pokemon rated? Then check out our Single Rate Thread for movesets and help. Thanks!

I find this guide to be very helpful!
    Without this, I'd probably still be scratching my head over EVs and IVs.
    Well.. I still kinda am. But not as much now. xD
    Thank you for posting this guide!

.::l King of the Sky l::.

you must worked hard on this!

^ Make your own thread if you want a rate, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragari Sama
    I find this guide to be very helpful!
    Without this, I'd probably still be scratching my head over EVs and IVs.
    Well.. I still kinda am. But not as much now. xD
    Thank you for posting this guide!
    Glad it helped.

Sheer Cold/Mind Reader is perfect. Fly is vulnerable to only Stone Edge and Sky Uppercut
    My shinies:

Fly is not vulnerable to Stone Edge, it is vulnerable to Thunder/Gust/Sky Uppercut/Hurricane. It is still a very poor move. I could mention how it would suck but the senior raters already have.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast