Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last Call, First Round! (642)

Nice start to the Grand Festival, its great to see all of Dawn's rivals in one place, although Kenny departs fast, especially after being gone for so long. Oh well, at least they remembered to include him, and out of Dawn's rivals, he was probably the weakest and the least developed, compared to her rivalries with Zoey and Ursala, and Nando is probably too powerful to lose this early (with how he's portrayed as being good at both Gyms and Contests, compared to Ash and Dawn who just focus on one). Well, it was either him or Jessie, and glad to see Jessie made it past the appeals at least.

The appeals were all nice enough, liked how Dawn used Cyndaquil to hide the ice sculpting making for a nice final appeal. And nice way for Jessie to reveal her new outfit.

Too bad Kenny messed up, but at least it was a visible difference, not just a "list everyone who passed and Kenny is missing for some reason" reveal at the end. It was fun to hear the old Pikari nickname after a long while, especially since in the meantime we found out where that name came from. Though he's gone, there's plenty of other tough battles ahead, although not sure how many we'll get to see (all of Dawn's, of course, but not sure about the others).

Talking

Ooh! Ursula has two Eeveelutions! I love her now!
    I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, who couldn't love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.

Credit to pokefan#493 for the userbar and Northern Lights for the badge

Click the banner to go to this forum's branch of the Bring Back Bionicle Club.

I am now the rightful claimer of Machop in the Official Claim A Pokemon Thread v5! [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2z57udz.jpg[/IMG]

I guess that Draco Meteor was aimed at Kenny's Empoleon.

I guess I'm one of the few people who appreciated Jessie's appeal. I thought it was unique, something only she would have come up with. The whole Haze thing was a bit bland but the Silver Wind combo that tore her clothes off was amazing. That's what seperates her from all the other wannabe Coordinators that we've seen throughout the series; class. Jessie has class.

On a similar note, apparently Nando uses cheat codes since Kricketot used Sing, a move it cannot learn :/

I suppose I should actually watch the episode and do a commentary now that something imporant is happening.

-Grand Festibaru Festival time, complete with a werukommu paatii welcome party. Whoo!
    -Among the normal people in the party...there's a witch! BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!
    -Oh hey, it's Mr. "nyeh nyeh nyeh I do gyms AND contests but you'll never actually see me competing against the main characters who do either one of those things nyeh nyeh nyeh"
    -I'll admit it. I giggled a little at Dawn busting out a mirror to make sure she looked good enough to be on camera.
    -Johanna wasn't bothered to actually go see Dawn in persona for the GF despite the fact that, as far as I can tell, she doesn't really do anything all day.
    -I like how 99% of the people attending this party appear to be statues. It's especially breathtaking when you look at people who are completely immobile, yet appear to be talking and holding drinks.
    -Nando didn't grab the Sunyshore gym badge while it was "buy a solar panel, get 5 badges free" day. Sucks to be him.
    -And it's Kenny, aka "oh, right, he's one of Dawn's rivals isn't he?"
    -It looks like Dawn's not overreacting to being called Pikari anymore...
    -And then Ursula's Plusle and Minun jump out of nowhere and shock her hair into sparkly marvelosity. Dawn does her best to be unfazed by it anyway.
    -Kenny asks who Ursula was. Silly boy, she's clearly the best contest rival in all of DP! How can he not know who she is?
    -And it's Zoey. Looks like the gang's all here!
    -That one guy with the weird green headband's been standing perfectly still for at least two minutes. You go guy! Beat that guiness world record for standing perfectly still at a party!
    -Oh wait, the gang wasn't quite all there. I forgot about Musalina! Now there's a woman who appreciates getting some quality time in front of a TV camera.
    -Only Dawn could pull off pajamas that double as a track suit.
    -Next morning, Ash is having Gible practice Draco Meteor. With no Piplup around, he's sure to succed this time!
    -The meteor goes after Kenny instead. Coincidence?
    -Good lord, Dawn's room is pink(and red).
    -I love how, despite all the luxuries the Grand Festival building seems to have, the TVs in the contestant's bedrooms are tiny.
    -Blah blah judges blah just get to the effing appeals already blah
    -Then suddenly, unexpectedly, out of nowhere...FANTINA?! Oh hell yes.
    -Ursula's appeal is first. She has two Eevees, undoubtedly hoping to tap into the lucrative "mindless fan who can't get enough of that goddamned evo line" market.
    -Luckily for Ursula, at least one shot of the crowd is full of Eeveelution fans.
    -Damn, I'm liking Zoey's outfit. Kenny, meanwhile, is wearing basically the same damn thing he wears every contest, bless his overshadowed soul.
    -Nando's appeal is musical. Yawn.
    -Musalina's appeal. HELL YES.
    -She has Yanmega use razor wind to cut her clothes off(not THAT way, you pervs) and reveal her new GF outfit. And...the new outfit kinda sucks. It's too much like something Dawn would wear. Despite Musalina's fashion disaster, Fantina is quite impressed by the appeal.
    -And now it's time for an appeal montage to make it look like more than 5 people are taking part in the contest. FEATURING: Team Houen starters, Blaziken and Sceptile! Team "they look vaguely similar if you squint a lot", Rapidash and Girafarig! Team POKEMON STRAIGHT FROM TEAM GALACTIC I SWEAR, Skuntank and Toxicroak! Team Hilarious Mismatch, Cleffa and Steelix! Team I'm Getting Tired of Naming These Things, Lickylikkilickylickilickiyiyiyiy and Rattata! And finally, we get to a real character with a real appeal - Zoey!
    -Water appeal. Yawn.
    -Kenny's up next. Yawn.
    -More goddamn water appeals? I guess it's better than sitting through ice appeals, but...
    -Aw sheeeeeet, Kenny done screwed up. Congrats, you're the only person in the history of the Grand Festival to make a mistake in his appeal. Go home, loser.
    -Dawn has no time to worry about her friend failing miserably at his life's dream, since it's her time to shine now!
    -This ice appeal feels almost refreshing after sitting through two water appeals in a row.
    -Holy ****, Cyndaquil can split its back flame into two? Where was Dawn when Ash needed help just to get his Cyndaquil's flame to start on command?
    -Now it's time to see who made the cut for the battle round. And the results are...everyone made it! Except the failure loser who made a big mistake in his appeal for the major event standing between him and his life's goal.
    -Goddamn, Kenny's outfit reminds me of something other than "his normal outfit", but I can't quite place what. A pallette swap of Juan's outfit, maybe?
    -Wait, Kenny's not even sticking around to cheer Dawn on? Some friend he is. No wonder he lost, he doesn't have enough ~friendship power~ to succeed.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    -Holy ****, Cyndaquil can split its back flame into two? Where was Dawn when Ash needed help just to get his Cyndaquil's flame to start on command?
    She wasn't even BORN for one thing.

Kinda weird that Ash did not make a big deal about how Ursula basically FORCED her two Eevee to evolve.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    She wasn't even BORN for one thing.
    Yeah she was, shes 10 afterall. Anime age is a funny thing afterall.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    Yeah she was, shes 10 afterall. Anime age is a funny thing afterall.
    I think that they were referring to dawn's cyndaquil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
    There isn't one in the intro because they want to surprise us. They're thinking "OK guys, what do the fans who watch Pokemon want MOST of all from the upcoming League?"

The answer, of course, is a generic League Rival introduced JUST before the tournament that will somehow steal the spotlight from Paul, Barry, Nando and Conway!

However they can't reveal it just yet. They want us to let our guards down. They want us to think they've changed by introducing four trainers that would eventually go on to face Ash in the League as opposed to Last Second Rival-son.

I won't rest though. I'll be waiting, and if he does appear, which he will I'll be ready to jump out and punch him in the face.

I'm disappointed at Kenny, but i'm glad about Ursula's appeal, using evolution as part of her appeal is quite clever.

I like Dawn's new dress too.
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!

The appeals were so good but Ursala's stole the show for me. I didn't feel bad at all that Kenny didn't advance past the appeals because he was the worst rival overall. But I was happy to see Jessie advance because she deserved it and is a really good coordinator to me. This was a great episode and a great way to start off the GF.

Here's a short summary

Dawn - Her appeal was just amazing, the ice-like rollercoaster ending with Buneary frozen in an ice sphere and Cyndiquil's flam wings - beautiful!

Ursula - Very well done. The eevolution appeal was priceless - I'll even give her a thumbs up for picking Eeveelutions

Zoey - Just as beautiful - Nice combination of two water pokemon.

The rest did just as well. A shame that Kenny fell out, though.
    Last edited by Darkmagiciangirl; 27th May 2010 at 9:45 PM.
    Eeveelution Ace Trainer
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/28tw9d4.gif[/IMG]
    -Credit to Purplepassion-

Diamond/Pearl team pre-national dex
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/20gijow.png[/IMG]
    -Credit to Gladeshadow, Dark Valley Request Shop

Ursula's performance was pretty good. Didn't expect to see evolutions. And it's interesting to see Flareon do well in the anime when it sucks in the games (give it Flare Blitz).

Jessie's wasn't all that good. Haven't they said "it isn't about the coordinator, but the Pokemon" several times?

And while using fully evolved Pokemon in contests doesn't seem to be as bad as it is in the games, I don't think that helped Kenny all that much.
    Last edited by randomspot555; 8th June 2010 at 3:03 PM.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

The Grand Festival is finally here! And what an awesome episode with the meet up of all 6 coordinators: Dawn, Zoey, Kenny, Nando Jessie and Ursula. I really liked having everyone gather at the meet up and seeing everyone again. x3 It was quite funny how Brock went through like 3 girls to tell them they were pretty, then getting Croagunk's Poison Jab, for the usual.

Everyone's appeals were quite awesome too; Ursula's was quite awesome with that Evolution Appeal of the two Eevee! Especially how she started with Iron Tail and Hidden Power. Then evolving to Flareon and Vaporen! :O

Nando's looked quite lovely, with his Altaria and Kricketot making dazziling music notes and what not.

Jessie's looked like it was about her again, but I loved how her costume changed during it though. Surprised Fantina loved the appeal.

Zoey's water level appeal with Lumineon and Gastrodon was quite cool! Nice to see her Finneon and Shellos evolved before the Festival began.

Kenny's looked indeed quite powerful, but hard to control? Oh yeah. Not actually so surprised that his Prinplup evolved to Empoleon, guess he chose to have more power. Shame that his Floatzel wasnt able to hold the Whirlpool + Flash Cannon.

Dawn's appeal at last. It was my favorite! Roller Coaster made of Ice was awesome! I especially liked how it ended, with Buneary in a Ice Sphere and Cyndaquil on top with its back fired up.

With the results, happy that Zoey, Nando, Jessie, Ursula and Dawn made it!... But not Kenny. Owch. Poor guy. And then he leaves, kinda feel bad for him by getting eliminated from the 1st Round. Before he left, it was quite funny when Kenny called Dawn "Dee Dee" again, Dawn talks back with her usual "ITS DAWN!" XD It's great to have ya here Dawn.

Awesome episode was awesome! Now that the first round is over and went amazing, I cant wait for next weeks episode!
    Last edited by the1stpkmnfan; 18th September 2010 at 6:04 PM.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Is it just me, or has Kenny yet again got a voice change? Too bad he lost cause I want to see him defeated this time. I'm pretty sure that sudden evolutions aren't allowed in contests, but looks like they are. Now for Dawn's new contest dress: looks alright. Love the how her front hair is all down.

A great episode. A lot of the coordinators have pulled off some neat performances. Too bad Kenny didn't make it though, there's always next time. I can't wait to see what's next.

@Dattebayo - Yeah youre right, Kenny's voice sounded very different to me as well. Sounded like a new VA. Even the flashback with him, Dawn and Leona, his voice sounded the same from his previous appearances.

Ursula's voice sounds as though its between her first and 2nd appearance. But I cant complain too much about it, since the VA is the same. Another note from Ursula, the Team Magma/Team Aqua battle music played in the background during her appeal was completely fitting! Knowing the Eevee evolved into Flareon and Vaporeon; Fire/Water, yeah.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Not just Kenny, a lot of the voices of the characters we haven't seen in a while sounded different. When Rhonda was interviewing people at the beginning, her voice sounded really slow. And Dawn and Zoey's voices sounded weird when they were saying "the Pokemon are the stars".

But anyway, apart from some of the dialouge, the episode was great. I liked Dawn, Zoey and Ursula's appeals. Nando's seemed average and Kenny's was good until Empoleon destroyed Floatzel. Another thing about the dialoue: I forgot what exactly he said, but when Kenny told Empoleon and Floatzel to do their Whirlpool/Flash Cannon thing, he said something like "I hope it works" or something, in a way that made it seem this was the first time he tried that combination. Shouldn't Co-ordinators practice their appeal before a contest, especially the Grand Festival?

It sucks that Kenny lost in the appeal round, although at least it showed how powerful his Empoleon & Floatzel were. Nice to see everyone else passing. Has Kenny's voice changed? Gee, I haven't head Nando talk in about 2 years. No wonder his voice sounded weird. Overall, good start to the Sinnoh Grand Festival.
    7/10

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...37;28Sinnoh%29

Nope, she still voices Kenny (Rhonda Krempa), but I'm use to his voice being raspy regardless. It was remarkable seeing Nando again, he is mesmerizing. When was the last time we saw Zoey? Snowpoint City? Anyways, it was nice to hear A Greeting and a Parting in the ending, but we'll see Kenny within a few weeks. Oh yeah, I loved hearing Gastradon's voice, it was so freaking hilarious!
    Last edited by A_Merry_Snowrunt; 18th September 2010 at 8:18 PM.

I love the references to the Generation I Main Games. They have Red, Blue & Green Stages, referring to RBG, which are the paired and third version games for Japan. They also have Ursula with Vaporeon & Flareon, which both are a pair and reference RB. Ursula's Pluse & Minun also appear, referencing RB. Kind of cool, eh?

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    I love the references to the Generation I Main Games. They have Red, Blue & Green Stages, referring to RBG, which are the paired and third version games for Japan. They also have Ursula with Vaporeon & Flareon, which both are a pair and reference RB. Ursula's Pluse & Minun also appear, referencing RB. Kind of cool, eh?
    and don't forget, Dawn took stage on the green arena whereas she worn her yellow gown and lovely blue curls!

Now I myself must prepare for the Pokemon Coordination.....erg wedding I must attend. Man, talk about irony.

Eevee is quite popular among these coordinators isnt it?

First we saw Johanna's Umbreon
    Then, May's Glaceon
    Now Ursala's Flareon & Vaporeon

And Kenny sounds kinda like he's being Voiced by Bella Hudson..(Who also voiced Salvia a few weeks ago)

RADIANT BLAZE ~

Finally it's time for my favorite part of the series; the Grand Festival.

The little rival meet and greet was nice. I laughed at Brock's obligatory role of explaining things when he had to explain to Nando who Kenny was, only because it felt so out of place with the dialogue going on.

Kenny-"Gotcha Dee-dee! Gotcha!"

Dawn-"Kenny!"

Ash-"Hey Kenny, long time no see."

Kenny-"Ash? Hey man."

Brock-"You see, Kenny is from Twinleaf Town, which is where Dawns from."

It's not as if Nando asked and I really doubt that he cared. Anyway, while rewatching the episode, I couldn't help notice how weird Kenny's voice sounded when he said "Fusion move".

Moving on, Nando is still boring, Kenny is still annoying, Ursula is still a witch, and Zoey is still gaga for Dawn.

I found Nando's performance to be very bland and I have no idea how singing would cause multi-colored music notes to float around in the air.

Two water appeals and an ice appeal. Not all that exciting, but certainly skillful. I found Ursula's appeal to be boring as well, since the double evolution was the only interesting part.

Very surprised that Kenny messed up his appeal, but after that is was obvious he wouldn't make it to the next round.
    I've officially claimed Swampert!

This episode was good. Interesting to see a double evolution occur in a contest. Zoe's performance was kinda awesome. Dawn's performance was also awesome.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

I was surprised that Kenny was elimanated so early, and the fact that Gastrodon has 6 feet 0.o
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast