Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Eighth Wonder of the Sinnoh World! (647)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderblade12 View Post
    Well at least something came out of Infernape starring again. It learned to control Blaze. Now hopefully that's the end of it until Ash vs Paul. It's official up to Johto-era Charizard in the annoyingness meter. I don't begrudge Infernape this gym, I just wish Staraptor or someone got to star against Candice rather than Chimchar. It got two wins in all four of Ash's previous gym battles and starred in three of them.
    Chimchar starring against Candice made sense though, particularly because of the 4x advantage over Snover/Abomasnow.

Well yeah, but type isn't everything. I would have much rather seen Abomasnow vs Staraptor. That way it would have been a showdown between two physically powerful pokemon, each with a type disadvantage against the other. So it would have come down to which has the most strength and endurance.

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

My opinions on the battle.

Torterra being the dead weight pokemon is understandable when the following are taken into consideration.

Looking at Ash's sinnoh team (Including Gilscor and Gible), Torterra, along with Staraptor and Infernape, are the only ones that have yet to play that role in any relevant battle (vs gym leaders and significant recuring characters). Not only that, pikachu, who played dead weight against Fantina, fought in just as few gyms as torterra.

Unlike swellow, staraptor does not have the ability to sponge electric attacks. The writers have no need to empazise a "flying vs electric = poor matchup" point so that rules it out.

Infernape was shown to activate blaze. It would be conpletely anticlimatic if it were KO'ed in that state as that would complicate the blaze plot even further that it already is.

Each pokemon getting a KO (no dead weight pokes) would make this battle a generic KO fest, which in turn would have undermined the gym reputation as the toughest gym in sinnoh. In addition, the writers given time constraints were too small to allow for a substitution fest (ie. Ash vs Paul @ Lake Acuity), so someone had to be KO'ed. And Torterra was their only option.

Other than that:

Music played (GSC rival theme and RBY champion theme are always epic, as was the Cerulean city theme. The OP theme, which was the first time it was played outside of previews and the OP itself, complimented its scene perfectly.)

Pikachu KO'ing Electivire is a huge plus, not only for the fact that it's his first win against a member of the electabuzz family, but also for that fact that he won by brute force, a rare sight for pikachu, who is usually portrayed as a hit and run pokemon.

Eh, given the time constraints of the battle, the writers couldn't have done much with jolteon. At least they emphasized the power of its thunderbolt (so the ape wouldn't leave the battle unscathed).

Luxray's voice actor did an excellent job of portraying its ferocity, specifically when executing thunder fang.

Blaze plot was epic for reasons already stated, as was its aftermath. I suspect that the reason the writers closed the blaze plot now, rather than vs Paul in the league, is that in the latter (vs Paul in the league), they could have Infernape learn a new move then, though the only move I can see it learning is flare blitz.

The only correctable problem with this episode is the excess TR screentime, but this has been an ongoing problem for years, so ranting about it would be pointless.

I'll finish with this note: PUSA better not screw up the blaze scene, specifically when Infernape approaches Ash.

9/10

Very fun episode. The battle was great, Infernape was a bit overpowered, but still the match was good =).

Lol poor Dawn, she is going to be a cheerleader for the whole league.
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuki Mirai View Post
    Infernape still knows Dig? Dang. I can't remember the time when Ash ever have two Pokemon on his team that knows the same moves.
    Two words:

Quick

Attack

I feel like this gym battle could have been better. For starters 2 episodes, more Pokemon please. Torterra is further proof Ash cannot handle a tank. I don't care how weak to Ice it is, anyone using a Torterra should have been able to take out anything in that gym.

Pikachu finally got a win against the bane of its existence, the Electibuzz family. And to the person who commented on Luxray having Intimidate, while that may be possible, Luxray did just use Thunder Fang. It flnched.

Infernape...damn it had to have severly injured that Luxray. I imagine 3rd degree burns along its body. I think it will murder the Pokemon of Paul's that activates its Blaze. That thing is super scary. =\
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

The more I watch this episode, the more I like it. The moment when Ash calls for Infernape and it gives that crazy smirk, and the saikodu (or whatever it's called) music starts playing is just too epic. I can't remember getting such chilled since 'charizard chills!'. Ash does have a way with fully evolved fire starters, doesn't he? I can't wait for Infernape to meet Charizard. I bet Charizard would get superiority complex - well, he won't, but would be cool if he did. He has advantage over Infernape though - being flying type and all.

I am surprised that none has that Ash n Infernape in we-won-whee-around moment in gif in their sig. already. I wish I knew how to make one. Any kindhearted people up for making me one? Please??

Oh, can't wait for Paul to meet this crazy Infernape.....Infernape, Mortar final showdown! Epic, Epic, Epic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cauldronmaster View Post

Looking at Ash's sinnoh team (Including Gilscor and Gible), Torterra, along with Staraptor and Infernape, are the only ones that have yet to play that role in any relevant battle (vs gym leaders and significant recuring characters).
    Chimchar was the "dead weight" against Maylene.

^yeah, i realized that i forgot about a couple of battles (that and vs wake, where turtwig was actually the dead weight poke)

Still, if torterra didn't play dead weight, it would've been pikachu. In that case, instead of ranting about Ash's "inability to handle a tank" (despite the fact that he showed it vs candice, but thats another story), the fandom would be ranting about Ash "not training his starter."

Besides, I'm sure torterra will get its fair share of wins come the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    I disagree to an extent, Clair was definitely handled better, Jaun on the other hand I always saw as rediculious. I mean ok sure the battle format of the gym was ok and Swellow stood out more than the others but what happened to Grovyle was rather pathetic (almost as pathetic as what happened to Torterra...coincidence?) and i'm inclined to believe Pikachu paralyzing Electrivire and Iron Tailing it in the face for the kill more believable than lifting a water pokemon that is ten times it size with those tiny arms and being able to throw it over it's head into water and then suddenly ko it after it kept healing itself repeatedly.
    Although I might sound nerdy but I can explain it using Physics. Pikachu used Law of conservation of energy and momentum in there. Pikachu used all its momentum from running and converted it into energy to lift and then throw Milotic. Circus people use this same law to do some tricks of moving heavy objects.
    Writers don't usually use their mind but when they do, bu when they do, they include so much stuff in there which is beyond a normal person imagination. But I guess writers deserve some respect in there.
    With that said its obvious that Juan's gym battle was as good as Claire's gym battle.

Quote Originally Posted by NES View Post
    Lol poor Dawn, she is going to be a cheerleader for the whole league.
    Thats the least she can do. Either she can sit back like May or cheer for Ash to gain screen time. You can't expect her to be like Misty and help Ash by providing information on type advantage and all.

Quote Originally Posted by shac View Post
    The more I watch this episode, the more I like it. The moment when Ash calls for Infernape and it gives that crazy smirk, and the saikodu (or whatever it's called) music starts playing is just too epic. I can't remember getting such chilled since 'charizard chills!'. Ash does have a way with fully evolved fire starters, doesn't he? I can't wait for Infernape to meet Charizard. I bet Charizard would get superiority complex - well, he won't, but would be cool if he did. He has advantage over Infernape though - being flying type and all.
    At last one person besides me who feels that gym battle was awesome. I guess all that Infernape hatred had effect on people mind.
    Chimchar sold more merchandise in DP than Piplup.

I thought this episode was good. Ash needs to teach Torterra some ground-type attacks. If it knew any during its battle against Volkner's Electrive, it would've won. Pikachu's performance was okay. It was about time it defeat a Electrive. Infernape's performance was the best out of three. The way it defeated Volkner's Jolteon was awesome. It looked like a Sky Uppercut instead of a Mach Punch. I'm glad it can now control his rage & Blaze ability. This will come in handy during the Sinnoh League.

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile lover View Post
    At last one person besides me who feels that gym battle was awesome. I guess all that Infernape hatred had effect on people mind.
    Same here. The only thing I could possibly complain about is the excessive amount of TR screentime, but even that is moot point since that has been a problem for years. People who are upset at torterra not winning should read my post on the previous page for an explanation.

Infernape "hatred" will come to pass. They're already reinstating brute-force buizel in the next episode, who in battle dimension, everyone "hated" just as much as they "hate" Infernape now.

And there's nothing nerdy about knowing physics, since it's something that affects everyone in life.

I can't believe that Infernape just control Blaze ability during the last battle in the Sunyshore Gym. And then Ash recieved the final gym badge in Sinnoh. I wonder how many month do Ash have left before the Sinnoh League Conference? I mean he received it after Dawn's Sinnoh Grand Festival.
    I am here to help others to solve their problem,and I'm also the big fan of Kissshipping.

FC: 3737-9549-2888
    IGN: Shego

Quote Originally Posted by Shego View Post
    I can't believe that Infernape just control Blaze ability during the last battle in the Sunyshore Gym. And then Ash recieved the final gym badge in Sinnoh. I wonder how many month do Ash have left before the Sinnoh League Conference? I mean he received it after Dawn's Sinnoh Grand Festival.
    There's nine more weeks after DP182. Which means nine or eleven more episodes. League arcs usually take 7-8 episodes. So we're almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shego View Post
    one month. wasn't it what flint/volkner said to ash at the end of the last episode?

If there is anything Ash should learn from this battle, it's Torterra needs a good ground type move. I am not too sure, but it seems to me that 'rock-climb' is being used as a ground type move in the anime.........anyone else gets that feeling?
    Last edited by shac; 6th June 2010 at 6:01 AM.

About Rock Climb, did anyone find it really odd that it just retracted into the ground after Torterra was knocked out? I mean rock formations don't just disappear now, do they?
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    About Rock Climb, did anyone find it really odd that it just retracted into the ground after Torterra was knocked out? I mean rock formations don't just disappear now, do they?
    They don't often just pop out of the ground though, do they?
    This is the classic "applying logic to Pokemon" scenario here my friend!

On watching this again, without my annoyance about Torterra going down and Pikachu not starring, this was a really good battle. It definitely improves upon a rewatch. Blaze powered Flamethrower just looks so awesome, as does Flame Wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

Quote Originally Posted by shac View Post
    one month. wasn't it what flint/volkner said to ash at the end of the last episode?

If there is anything Ash should learn from this battle, it's Torterra needs a good ground type move. I am not too sure, but it seems to me that 'rock-climb' is being used as a ground type move in the anime.........anyone else gets that feeling?
    I see that Ash have one month left before the Sinnoh League Conference. He needs a lot of training to do before he confront his rivals like Paul and Barry at that place.
    I am here to help others to solve their problem,and I'm also the big fan of Kissshipping.

FC: 3737-9549-2888
    IGN: Shego

Realatively good battle.

First fight really cemented Ash tactical problem yet again- he's far to offensive.

Pikachu beating Electivire was done pretty well, though Pikachu activating static was a bit DEM-ish.

Jolteon losing in one blow felt a bit cheap, but it was acceptable.

Luxray was awesomely used here, going for the kill all the time.

What I didn't like was the kinda stupid ending. Blaze is awesome, but Volkner not going for the KO while Infernape was walking towards Ash was so glaringly obvious plot shield- we already saw his tactics being to KO even downed opponents(seen with Pikachu and Infernape, before the lights went out). Then he suddenly politely waits when it turns it's back?

>_<;;

Luxray was beating Infer badly until Blaze.

I think this battle was rushed. Torterra and Jolteon weren't strong enough but I liked how Jolteon used Shadow Ball.
    At least they didn't have Pikachu getting defeated VS. Raichu again, I didn't want it to happen again in the show. Maybe next time...

infernape unleashed hell on luxray

Infernape is on steroids. Nothing can beat it except for Flint's Infernape. In the end Volkner didn't have a chance in hell of winning.

If you rooted for Dawn during A Grand Fight For Winning even though you knew she'd lose, then copy and paste this in your signature.

So it's finally here. The final Sinnoh Gym battle in the DP saga. I think it's been worth the wait. Dawn seemed to be acting as a cheerleader again along with Buneary and Piplup. I thought all three actually looked cute and content despite what happened at the Grand Festival. Anyway, I still cannot believe that the Sunyshore Gym has a robot as a referee and not Volkner's friend Flint or that old man instead. Machines can make mistakes lol. It was at that point that I noticed that there were kids outside, standing near the Gym's door for some reason. Probably to catch a glimpse of the action going on inside. Looks like Flint was giving the inside scoop on Volkner or something. Probably saying something along the lines of how Volkner rarely looses or something.

Anyway, after all the talk going on, we move on to see what Team Rocket is up to. They always do something stupid while Ash battles the Gym Leader and it looked like they set their eyes on the Sunyshore Tower again. Typical, they never learn. Anyway, the battle between Volkner and Ash finally started and then Volkner sent out Electivire which totally ruined my theory of him using his DP team. Grr. Ash chose Torterra since it had the obvious advantage; not being affected by Electric moves. I had a feeling things wouldn't be that easy though. Leaf Storm was sent towards Electivire but then it used Fire Punch to negate the attack! Awesome and I loved that the Johto soundtrack used for battles was played lol. Brock and Dawn seemed worried though, and for good reason considering how effective Fire is to Torterra despite the type combination.

Ash then had Torterra use Leaf Storm again followed up with Energy Ball. I was confused but then I understood that Ash was testing Electivire's endurance and defense. Just when Torterra seemed to have shaken Electivire up with it's Rock Climb, it goes on and loses to Ice Punch. I know it's super effective but it still seems chessy. Ash returned Torterra and sent out Pikachu next. I could tell that was a bad move. When was the last time Pikachu won against a member of the Electabuzz line? I don't recall. Anyway, Team Rocket failed to get in the Sunyshore Tower, that's what they get! I was amazed by how Electivire was able to dodge Pikachu's Quick Attack and strike back with Fire Punch at the same time. Pikachu's Electric attacks didn't affect Electivire because of it's Motor Drive ability and then it sped up! How could Ash not have known about that?

Volkner explained Motor Drive just as Pikachu got hit with elemental punches. I was shocked by it's endurance though! Pikachu's Static kicked in though, and it slowed Electivire down giving Ash and Pikachu the speed advantage and ending the battle with an Iron Tail to the head. I loved it, Ash used strategy by letting Pikachu's Static paralyze Electivire! Volkner seemed impressed but sent out his Jolteon out next and Ash resorted to Infernape. I can't believe Jolteon got a Electric move in though. Jolteon kepting on sending Shadow Ball but Infernape's Mach Punch seemed to be enough to stop most of them from doing damage. Infernape then used the smoke from the Shadow Balls to it's advantage and punched Jolteon out with a single move, winning the battle! I was so impressed, Infernape was "on fire".

Team Rocket continued on their way to the tower's control room and apparently they got Afro's lol. Well Volkner's next Pokemon was a surprise; he sent Luxray but I had expected Raichu or something. Well Pikachu was chosen by Ash to counter Luxray in battle anyway. Pikachu's first attack was hindered by Charge Beam I believe, but it managed to hit Luxray with Iron Tail at least 3 times in a row! I thought it was nasty that Luxray bit Pikachu's tail with Thunder Fang though and then finished it with Charge Beam. Pikachu seemed slightly weaker than usual. Team Rocket made it to the power room of the tower, but got stuck. I had no idea what they were up to at that point. Ash had only Infernape left so it was the obvious choice for the battle against Luxray. Though Luxray seemed to have Double Team which made striking it even more hard than usual. Luxray managed to get two Thunder Fangs in and Infernape looked like it was about to lose.

Just as Ash was starting to use his head and ordered Infernape to use Dig to avoid Luxray, Luxray does the impossible and destroyed the battle field with Iron Tail. That's not even funny, that just shows how much stronger it is than Infernape. Team Rocket messed with the tower's power core and the resulting explosion sent them flying, again lol. Though it also caused a blackout just as Luxray was going in for the kill. Infernape took the oppurtunity to activate it's Blaze ability and things got scary. It looked creepy being surrounded by that red aura and with the lights off, it threw an eerie red glow around the Gym. In it's rage, it's Flamethrower gained enough power and heat to melt parts of the Gym which was shocking to me. Right as it looked like it would attack Ash, it learned to have control over Blaze and it was able to fight Luxray and beat it with Flame Wheel. Kind of chessy but that's how it went down. Ash finally got the Beacon Badge and made it into the Pokemon Leauge in the Sinnoh region at long last. It was too much Ex Deus Machina for me, so it wasn't a perfect episode. Plus the lack of Raichu made me sick so this one gets a 8/10.

Only 6 days left and I just watched this episode again to see how the ending was. Gym battle, Infernape controlling Blaze and then league information at the end? I can't miss this episode!

Infernape controlling blaze was absolute badass especially with The greatest everyday playing in the background. Looks like the dub has the opportunity to use "We Will Carry On" in place of it.

I can't wait to find out what the dub calls Suzuran Island.

i know i caint wait to here the dub music behind the dub episode wooo im excited
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast