Thread: One For The Raters

Default One For The Raters

So, I've decided to make a team with a more unusual theme. This one contains Pokémon to represent some of IGRMT's best raters, past and present, or at least those that I know of. Before I begin, you should know that I did not include everyone. As that would be simply impossible with the six Pokémon limit. Therefore, please don't swart bawwing if you weren't in it... Anyway, introductions aside, here goes.

Scizor @ Bullet Punch
    • Adamant Nature
    • 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    ~ Brick Break
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ Roost
    ~ Swords Dance

Yay moar Scizor. He appears on every other team, but that's because he's awesome. I wouldn't have used him in this case but he represents two people at once, so no comments on the standardness please.

As most of you will know, this set is made to fully abuse Technician in conjunction with Swords Dance by employing low-power Double STABs which rise to 135 and 90 Base Power for Bug Bite and Bullet Punch respectively. The third slot is the one which is giving me the most trouble as I am having a hard choice in deciding between instant recovery (and please do not tell me to use potions) or coverage against Steel as well as an answer to Fire. The EVs, Nature and Item are all bulky physical Sweeper.

Arcanine @ Choice Band
    • Jolly Nature
    • 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    ~ Flare Blitz
    ~ Extremespeed
    ~ Iron Head
    ~ Thunder Fang

I quite like CBNine yet I've never had a real chance to use one in-game, so I thought I might as well as do it now. I'd rather not go mixed with this set if I can help it, although it may turn out to be necessary.

Anyway, it's a straightforward physical Sweeper really. Flare Blitz provides incredible power, especially with the Choice Band behind it. Extremespeed makes Arcanine into a powerful Revenge Killer by outspeeding pretty much everything, even if the opponent is also using Priority, which is fairly uncommon in-game. Crunch provides some helpful coverage, both super effectively and neutrally. The set is finished with either Thunder Fang to cover Water or Iron Head to cover Steel. I'm leaning towards the former right now although I'd appreciate a second opinion here. Standard physical Sweeper EVs are standard.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    • Modest Nature
    • 188 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpAtk
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Hidden Power [Electric]
    ~ Yawn

Vaporeon can be an offensive beast if played well, and I feel I may have found a good set here to support its good SpAtk and excellent bulk.

Surf is a given, as almost any powerful attacker needs a solid STAB behind it. Ice Beam is then added to help take care of Grass types without being forced to switch out, and for good coverage in general. Hidden Power [Electric] is added to prevent Waters from walling this set and to also provide solid BoltBeam coverage. In the last slot, I'm not sure wether to go with Toxic for a kind of Lapras-esque Pokémon but with more power or Wish for support, although I'm already using another Pokémon with this move. Once again, please do not ask me to use Potions instead of the recovery move. The EVs meet the maximum possible Leftovers +1 recovery point, maximise SpAtk, and then dump into Def for good measure.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    • Impish Nature
    • 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpDef
    ~ Wish
    ~ Protect
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Payback

I generally like a bit of stall, or at least some status and support, on every team and I had an opportunity to use it here. I've explained it so many times before that I'll just copy and paste myself here.

This is pure stall, really. The idea is to come in on something more defensively-orientated which can't hit extremely hard, hit them with Toxic, and then use Umbreon's reasonably stable typing to your advantage as Toxic does the damage for you.

Toxic + Protect is a classic combo, allowing you to intensify the damage done while evading it yourself, and earning a turn of Leftovers recovery. Wish is also great alongside Toxic and Protect, giving you extra recovery and therefore durability against an opponent that, hopefully, will be unable to beat you. An added advantage is that Wish can be passed over to teammates, too, which means it outclasses Moonlight. The only reason Payback is used is to do some damage when you need to, which won't be often but is worth having just in case you don't feel like stalling out something that can be OHKO'd anyway.
    The EVs equalise defences after maximising HP for general bulk. I included the slight emphasis on SpDef to make Porygon & Co get Atk boosts rather than SpAtk boosts from the Download ability. I know they're not a massive threat but there's no reason not to include that feature, so. I also know that it is generally advisable for Umbreon to run a little Atk to put some power behind Payback but I personally prefer not to. That's not to say that I won't change it with persuasion, though.

Alakazam @ Wise Glasses
    • Timid Nature
    • 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Signal Beam
    ~ Energy Ball
    ~ Focus Blast

So, I needed a special Sweeper and I thought Alakazam could do the job. Very simple and straightforward but effective.

Despite its poor coverage, Psychic is in the set for simple power, providing a good STAB to base most of my attacks off. Shadow Ball helps to cover the Ghost weakness as well as provide reasonable general coverage. Energy Ball extends the coverage further by hitting Water, Ground and Rock well. In the last slot, I'm not completely sure. I really hate Focus Blast's accuracy but I'm not completely sure that the drop in power is completely worth it. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySnorlax
    Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    252 Def/162 SpD/96 HP
    *Thick Fat*
    ~ Rest
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ Sleep Talk
    ~ Body Slam

The EV's aren't really as complicated as they look here.
    The HP EV's hit the 2nd Lefties point, while still adding
    a bit more bulk, Def is maximized with the rest tossed
    into his SpD. This puts you at 485 HP/251 Def/296 SpD.
    Body Slam is STAB and Parahax, while FP covers steels
    and ghost types.
    Thanks.

Spoiler:- Rater/Pokémon Matchups:
    Last edited by Noctourniquet; 8th June 2010 at 3:02 PM.

I think that for the Vaporeon you should use Wish instead of Toxic because your Umbreon already has Toxic. On my Vaporeon I have protect instead of HP electric, but if you want more coverage then that's cool.
    You have a really good team!

Quote Originally Posted by Eevee Addiction View Post
    I think that for the Vaporeon you should use Wish instead of Toxic because your Umbreon already has Toxic. On my Vaporeon I have protect instead of HP electric, but if you want more coverage then that's cool.
    The issue being that Umbreon also has Wish, so it would be somewhat redundant wether I use Toxic or Protect. I could use a semi-stall Vaporeon, but with Umbreon being solid stall already, it wouldn't work out imo and I need a bulkier Special Attacker on the team.

You have a really good team!
    Thanks, and thank you for the suggestion too.

Maybe you could try haze on your vaporeon then to stop people from setting up, or if you wanted't to set up with vaporeon you could use fake tears?

Although Bug Bite is ridiculously powerful, you're better
    off dropping it for Roost and running Brick Break in the
    3rd slot. It doesn't grant you any real coverage, and
    there aren't many berries for Scizor to eat in-game. ^^

I usually forego Crunch on CBNine for Iron Head. I've never
    really missed the coverage, and that flinch chance is
    nice.

Vappy and Umbreon look fine.

'Zam wants Focus Blast.

I'll suggest you add ResTalk Snorlax coz I feel left out
    since it seems like status could give you some problems.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    252 Def/162 SpD/96 HP
    *Thick Fat*
    ~ Rest
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ Sleep Talk
    ~ Body Slam

and ghost types.

Good job wit teh team, I like. ^^
    Last edited by [GS]; 8th June 2010 at 12:30 AM.

^Click it!^

RAGE.
    there's almost nothing to rate...
    except that vaporeon could use yawn > toxic seeing that he's fairly bulky and can psuedo-haze. and you already have toxic on umbreon

good team though
    you forgot to include yourself
    lil' ball of spheal.

^ Yawn is a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker987 View Post
    good team though
    There's no "Ghey Rabbit" Pokémon.

J/K ^^
    Last edited by [GS]; 8th June 2010 at 5:34 AM.

^Click it!^

You know, I was thinking a while...
    But don't you think Dig should be considered for Umbreon?
    It stalls just the same as with Protect, does damage and isn't luck based, while you just can work with Dig as with Protect. You might take a little hit by the time, but that's no problem rite.

I think ingame you could go for the power instead of the durability for Scizor...
    Roost > Brick Break and Life Orb > Leftovers.

And for the issue with Alakazam, you COULD go with Togekiss...
    It has Aura Sphere and some other cool moves to work with...

Well that was a quick rate, but I think I covered my ideas.

Good luck with your team!

~ YOOM...TAH!
    ~ Reinier

Quote Originally Posted by FoldingScreen View Post
    imo MixPedo could work here

Quote Originally Posted by YOOMTAH View Post
    NO. Alakazam is far superior as a special sweeper.

Signal Beam > Shadow Ball on Zam, just for a better way of hitting dark types. Focus Blast > HP Fight.

Iron Head > Crunch on RK9. Crunch doesn't really warrant a position, and Iron Head is nice to kill Rock types.

Nice team, I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by AlCario View Post

Signal Beam > Shadow Ball on Zam, just for a better way of hitting dark types. Focus Blast > HP Fight.

Iron Head > Crunch on RK9. Crunch doesn't really warrant a position, and Iron Head is nice to kill Rock types.

Nice team, I approve.
    Lol it was no offence. xd
    Just throwing ideas in about how to solve a potential problem...
    That's why I used the word "COULD".

But well, zam IS better as a special sweeper because of his speed.
    ~ Reinier

Quote Originally Posted by FoldingScreen View Post
    imo MixPedo could work here

Wow. I was hoping for some good responses but I never expected this many ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySnorlax View Post
    Although Bug Bite is ridiculously powerful, you're better
    off dropping it for Roost and running Brick Break in the
    3rd slot. It doesn't grant you any real coverage, and
    there aren't many berries for Scizor to eat in-game. ^^
    Yea, you're right there actually, especially since Scizor isn't afraid of Psychic or Dark anyway. I'll do that.

I usually forego Crunch on CBNine for Iron Head. I've never
    really missed the coverage, and that flinch chance is
    nice.
    Quite a good point actually. Arcanine doesn't really need Crunch. Iron Head it is.

'Zam wants Focus Blast.
    Thought so. I suppose Sweepers should keep the Base Power high too.

I'll suggest you add ResTalk Snorlax coz I feel left out
    since it seems like status could give you some problems.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    252 Def/162 SpD/96 HP
    *Thick Fat*
    ~ Rest
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ Sleep Talk
    ~ Body Slam

and ghost types.
    That works nicely. Thanks a lot, although I prefer Lefties+1 to Lefties so I'm adding another 4 EVs to HP from SpDef.

Would you not advise running any Atk EVs then? And with the Toxic support from Umbreon and Sleep support from Vaporeon, do you think that Parahax is also needed or should I change Body Slam for Return?

Good job wit teh team, I like. ^^
    Thanks, I was hoping it would go down well.

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker987 View Post
    RAGE.
    there's almost nothing to rate...
    except that vaporeon could use yawn > toxic seeing that he's fairly bulky and can psuedo-haze. and you already have toxic on umbreon
    That's actually a very good idea. I'm doing that instead, thanks. I completely forgot about Yawn...

good team though
    Thank you, although it would make me look a little cocky if I was to include myself...

Quote Originally Posted by YOOMTAH View Post
    You know, I was thinking a while...
    But don't you think Dig should be considered for Umbreon?
    It stalls just the same as with Protect, does damage and isn't luck based, while you just can work with Dig as with Protect. You might take a little hit by the time, but that's no problem rite.
    It's an interesting idea, but there still needs to be some way to deal out the damage should it be needed, and although Dig helps prevent Steel walling, it won't really be useful in any other cases. Besides, Dig = Payback (with a higher power) + Protect, so there's not very much in it. It's also nice to have the flexibility of being able to Wish whenever I want rather than being stuck underground, imo.

I think ingame you could go for the power instead of the durability for Scizor...
    Roost > Brick Break and Life Orb > Leftovers.
    Originally, I thought that Life Orb was redundant on Scizor but I suppose it could work now that I have Roost, especially since I'm dropping the insanely powerful Bug Bite. I'd rather not replace Brick Break now that that's been suggested, tbh.

I'm not normally picky about this, but it doesn't fit with the team's theme. besides, Vappy already fills the role of Bulky Special Sweeper and with Snorlax going in this team might be getting a little too bulky-offence based for my liking. I just need a good Special Sweeper and Alakazam fills that role fine.

Well that was a quick rate, but I think I covered my ideas.

Good luck with your team!

~ YOOM...TAH!
    Thanks, you made some interesting points there.

Quote Originally Posted by AlCario View Post
    /bias

If you don't think that Signal Beam + Focus Blast would be too much... And I'm somewhat concerned about Ghosts, although I suppose Gengar, the most threatening to the team, is handled well enough with Psychic, assuming it doesn't outspeed and KO.

Well a second opinion was all I needed then. Changed.

Nice team, I approve.
    Whee.

Thanks to all of you for your rates.

OP Updated.

Ah I was thinking maybe on your Arcanine you could use Reversal instead of Iron Head because it could deal great damage when Arcanine is on his last legs. As well as that it presents more coverage.

^ Reversal is too much of a situational move for me. Additionally, thanks to the Choice Band, I'd have to switch out and in again to be able to use it after being lowered to a level of HP low enough, and I'd probably get KO'd on the switch-in. I know it can work on some Pokémon, but I don't think it's suited very well to this particular Arcanine set. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueRabbit View Post
    ^ Reversal is too much of a situational move for me. Additionally, thanks to the Choice Band, I'd have to switch out and in again to be able to use it after being lowered to a level of HP low enough, and I'd probably get KO'd on the switch-in. I know it can work on some Pokémon, but I don't think it's suited very well to this particular Arcanine set. Thanks anyway.
    Damn I totally ignored the fact it was using a Choice Band. Thinking about it, it would definitely be a bad choice.

Nice team anyway

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueRabbit
    Would you not advise running any Atk EVs then? And with the Toxic support from Umbreon and Sleep support from Vaporeon, do you think that Parahax is also needed or should I change Body Slam for Return?
    Nah, no Atk EV's. You'd end up investing over 100 EV's to
    KO anything of note (with 100 Atk EV's FP still wont 2HKO
    Gengar :/), making him far less bulky. As for his second
    move, Return>Body Slam can work, I just prefer Parahax.

^Click it!^