Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lavender Town Syndrome

This wasn't too scary. It's just a song. But maybe it's because of the whole 'only young people can hear 'it''.

The story did freak me out a bit however. I love stories like that.
    Last edited by CatGirl_Luna; 22nd July 2010 at 5:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CatGirl_Luna View Post
    This wasn't too scary. It's just a song. But maybe it's because of the whole 'only young people can hear 'it''.

The story did freak me out however. I love stories like that.
    The story freaked me out, but not the music. It was unsettling, but not too unsettling, and I just played along on FR. I have heard the R/B/Y song, though, and it's not scary.

credit: Thunderstrike Graphics Shop for the userbar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    My cat walks around at night and I'm fairly sure that she's stalking me.

I remember someone posting about this on some other forum months ago. Most of it is fictional, just stuff written to pass the time. As for the rumored deaths and illnesses that some kids who played in Lavender Town attained, I don't think anyone can prove that these things happened without a doubt but it does make for an interesting story lol. I think we'd all like to think that there could have been a more sinister side to the Pokemon games, maybe things would have been different if that were the case
    Last edited by Lorde; 24th July 2010 at 11:21 PM.

lol, this is fiction but I have heard cases of Lavender Town causing illness.

Which is why in FRLG they removed the high pitch notes because they apparently rattled the stirrup (one of the smallest bones in your ear) too much. So it caused a headache. Or I read this on another forum anyways.

Sorry for ruining the theories (:

true original diva

someone had alot of time
    [IMG]http://i28.*******.com/2hgad5k.jpg[/IMG]

I knew there was something weird about Lavender town. When I played Red version as a kid I used to get really creeped out from the music in Lavender town. Everytime I went to Lavender Town I shut my volume off.

That was really cool, nothing to do with Lavender Town music, haha, but still interesting. What if a programmer could program a subliminal message into a game that was that intense? Not saying what happened in the FanFic, but something more realistic?

I gotta say, that's pretty stupid. Reading the original story posted, I was at first doubtful when Lavender itself was claimed innocent and had nothing to do with whatever horror story was to happen afterward. At the last part it wasn't even disturbing, just really ridiculous of the sort that you'd find in one of the less inspired Goosebumps... but whatever. So yeah, I'm not really wetting my pants or anything. (Of course, assuming that story was true, it also brings up the question of what would appear had you not lost any loved ones at the time you played. I guess it should just drive you suicidal.)

Also, just to throw this out there, I listened to the music on YouTube wearing sound-cancelling headphones. My thirteen-year-old ears didn't pick up any demonic sounds, though it was slightly unnerving, just like the English copy of Red blasting Lavender Town music in front of me right now...
    Last edited by Giratina!; 27th July 2010 at 1:30 AM.

That music always gave me the creeps but I listened to it and I am not suicidal or crazy. I think that it's probably fake or it would have been on the news (that the guy shot himself and all those kids comitted suicide I mean really- when the first movie came out and people got seizures it was all over the news).

A very nice way to kill 15 minutes. I always loved the eeriness of the Lavendar Town music but it never drove me to suicide. This post is proof of that.

Also if you look at this ( http://www.rickey.org/?p=43703 ) which seems to be the orginal at the bottom it says it is fiction.

Wow, I watch loads of horror movies, grew up with watching/reading horror movie/stories, and that scared the living crap out of me. Except once I got to the part where the detective tested it out, and ended up killing himself, I was just like "yeah right ..." But up until that point, wow I was sitting on the edge of my seat. I heard this tiny cracking sound outside and jumped. And that stuff is rare for me, I'm never a scardey cat. >.<

I don't own the original Red/Green versions, so I really can't say from experience if the music messes with me. But for some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some "subliminal" stuff in a lot of video games .. It sounds crazy, but at the same time, hard to rule out completely.

Anyhoo, I still love the Lavender Town theme. But then again, I'm only listening to the English version, so maybe that's why I'm safe ... jk. :3

I remember when I was first getting into Pokemon, the first time I went into Lavender Town in Blue Version I was scared so I just left the city.

Riki Tiki Tavi

Sigh .. why did I read that? I'm actually spooked a bit. I won't listen to the music. ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Giratina! View Post
    I gotta say, that's pretty stupid. Reading the original story posted, I was at first doubtful when Lavender itself was claimed innocent and had nothing to do with whatever horror story was to happen afterward. At the last part it wasn't even disturbing, just really ridiculous of the sort that you'd find in one of the less inspired Goosebumps... but whatever. So yeah, I'm not really wetting my pants or anything. (Of course, assuming that story was true, it also brings up the question of what would appear had you not lost any loved ones at the time you played. I guess it should just drive you suicidal.)

Also, just to throw this out there, I listened to the music on YouTube wearing sound-cancelling headphones. My thirteen-year-old ears didn't pick up any demonic sounds, though it was slightly unnerving, just like the English copy of Red blasting Lavender Town music in front of me right now...
    Thank you, Giratina!, for having some sense! The story was hardly creepy and poorly written. This sums it up perfectly: "Really ridiculous of the sort that you'd find in one of the less inspired Goosebumps." And really, the lavender town music sounds the same to me as it did when I was 8 (I'm quite a bit older than that now)!

The story really scared me.. i'm going to have nightmares tonight.

But it's all in good fun right? I really like the story, well except the end i guess..

And it's the time we waste, swallowed into space. . . .

I think the only reason the story was so scary is because it seems like it's possible to happen. I mean I know that my head hurts more when I hear the Lavender Town music (I do have to listen for a long time, though). Also, we know that younger kids can hear higher pitched sounds (hense that 'misquito' ring tone on cell phones for teenagers).

I think the reason people get so freaked out was because
    1) There are all those ideas of conspiracies out there, not that we believe them, it's just like "Yeah, all those times we said Pokemon was evil, here's the proof" so the idea is in our heads already,
    2) The original Pokemon games were sooo glitchy, which was already freaky for a lot of people, so adding this on top was just like, omg,
    3) It's realistic enough. There are people out there who would do something insane like programming a freaky subliminal message to make kids suicidal, just like the idea that some diseases were created by twisted doctors.

I dunno why I'm letting this get to me so much. I'm not afraid of anything! ._. But I guess the psychological horrors can get past my tough skin. >.> Idk, but I admit to being freaked out .. even though I knew it was fake.

I like creepy stories like this. It's fake, but it's still quite eerie. I think all the creepy rumors surrounding the gen 1 games is what made them so great.
    I've officially claimed Swampert!

The story realy didn't creep me out that much. It's eerie, I'll give it that, but it didn't do much to creep me out. I knew the story was fake from the start, but it still has that eerie feel to it.

I remember playing Red version and listening to the music when I was around...6 years old and I never got a headache from listening to it. The music didn't even creep me out back then, and it still doesn't. I'm even listening to it right now and I still do not get any headaches from it.

Thanks to Gladeshadow for the trainer card and Felly for the Banner

'We're casual, why should we put more EFFORT into our games and sacrifice our VALUES?' Come to the Non-Competitive Trainer's Hangout if you agree with this statement.

For those saying that this isn't possible, you are slightly wrong. 'Lavender Town Syndrome' won't make you kill yourself. But the original version of the song (assuming it isn't edited) has much higher pitched popping noises than the 'remastered' version of it released on the later versions of R/B/G/Y, and if the pitch truly is high enough so that fully developed ear drums aren't able to hear it, then the song could cause head aches and stomach aches. The 'Mosquito Tone' has similar effect on people young enough to hear it. So if children listened to the song long enough they'd probably get headaches, or in very rare cases nose bleeds.

And for those of you saying that the 3 removed sprites that it talks about can't be real, you probably haven't seen what some hackers can find in the codings of some games. There are no sprites that I have been able to find of all of these things, and I bet if I were able to tear through the coding of the game I doubt I'd find them. But stuff like that is far from impossible.

That was a pretty interesting read. Whoever made up that stuff about the "White Hand" and "Buried Alive Man" sure had a lot of time to make it sound factual, but the fact that programming something so complex in what is otherwise a very primitive game in terms of animation easily convinced me it was fake.

I must say, however, that as a kid I was terrified of the Lavender Town music. I always had to mute the Game Boy whenever I went there. Now, though, I think it's one of the coolest town songs.

And really, I always found Lavender Town fascinating. It was just so different from every other locale in the game, and so uncharacteristically dark and gloomy. Only the Old Chateau rivals it in that regard.
    Last edited by BlueMage; 4th August 2010 at 2:31 AM.

Chilling and interesting, but i can't believe the end, and i doubt this could have happend, there would have been more records of it.

The story is especially eerie to me; since as a kid, Lavender Town used to creep the living daylights out of me. I usually left that town as fast as possible after I finished all that crap at the Pokemon Tower (and when I go there a second time, I'm on my bike 8D).

It did a much better job at creeping me out compared to that crappy Resident Evil Gaiden game on the GBC, at least. That's pretty sad...

Kudos to the writer for making the story almost believable. Human beings generally lose the ability to hear certain sounds as they age and the "whithand.gif" makes you go "oooooh... shit" if you remember the lines of a certain NPC.
    Last edited by Satoshi; 4th August 2010 at 2:26 AM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Alright, I just listened to the two versions of the theme. The first one definitely sounds more...beta-ish? That's the only word I can think of to describe it. The second one just sounds like a more perfected version.

Other than that, I didn't hear anything that seemed out of place.
    Last edited by BlueMage; 4th August 2010 at 5:04 AM.

Upon further investigation, if the song really was 'remastered', another cause could be because the high pitch would put a strain on the systems speaker.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast