Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casting a Paul on Barry (652)

Default Casting a Paul on Barry (652)

Sinnoh League Third Round! Barry VS Paul!

It's the next round of the Pokémon League and Barry discovers that he is about to challenge Paul, his former idol. With both trainers having incredibly strong Pokémon, the battle is going to be tense. Who will emerge victorious? Meanwhile, Ash discovers that his next battle is against Conway, the trainer he befriended in the Tag Battles.

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Looks like the second round has been skipped (Snorlax was used)

Wow. 3-0. Can't believe it.
    Last edited by Ash-kid; 15th July 2010 at 12:21 PM.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

So Barry used Skarmory as his first Pokemon while Paul used Magmortar.
    Then Paul used Ursaring which got hurt by Skarmory's spike while Barry was using Empoleon.
    Barry switched for Hitmonlee.

Barry's Electivire has learned Giga Impact.

Empoleon seems to have got really hurt by Electivire's Thunder.
    Paul wins.
    Barry is impressed by Paul's battling skiils and gives him a thumps up.
    Conway tells that Ash's next match is against him.
    Last edited by Umbilical Noose; 15th July 2010 at 12:29 PM.
    Chimchar sold more merchandise in DP than Piplup.

So, the battle between Paul & Barry is going like this,

- Magmortar Vs Skarmory (Skarmory is defeated)
    - Magmortar Vs Empoleon (Magmortar gets called back)
    - Ursaring Vs Empoleon (Empoleon gets called back)
    - Ursaring Vs Hitmonlee (Hitmonlee gets defeated)
    - Ursaring Vs Empoleon (Ursaring gets called back)
    - Electivire Vs Empoleon (Empoleon gets defeated)

So the end results is Paul defeated Barry "3 to 0".
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 15th July 2010 at 12:24 PM.

- Kabigon got a battle against a Boopig at the beginning. Stompedy-stomp.

- Jun's gimmick of running into everyone never gets old ^^

- Jun praises Shinji and everyone ( including Kohei) seems to disagree with him, I think

- Nyarth is holding a Maneki Neko its based on? Time paradox!

- Shinji is doing some serious research about Jun's team. Of course he looks up just Impoleon.

- Mechanic-changing-floor is creepy...

( - Wii Party still looks like Mario Party without the nostalgic Mario-factor...)

- One-hit kill from Booburn. What is Jun doing? o.O

- Jun is suprised by the concept of "recalling"? xD

- Kicklee sure knows how to pose!

- Ursaring really is a ****ing beast! o.O Well, that's my older brother as I know him!

- Seriously...Why won't the bear go down already?!

- Impoleon's ability just kicked in. But it is too late for Jun....

- Jun got raped...Impoleon went "down" like a true hero though.

- TR league-merchandise ftw!

- Shinji actually was nice to Jun for a change and said that it was a good battle! ^^
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

I wasn't expecting such a shutout! That's unbelievable. Did Barry cry after he lost?

In a way I had a feeling this was going to happen, Barry's overusage of empoleon came back to haunt him in the worst way.

Of course there's also the fact that he took the cheap way out with the sunnyshore gym as well, karma has a nice way of getting revenge sometimes when you don't do the right things.

Wait 3 to zero are you serious?!?

I was hoping for Barry to take at least one of Pauls pokemon down. But considering, Ursaring, Electivire and Magmortar are three of Pauls toughest guys,its not to surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddiUrsa View Post
        Spoiler:- Size..:
    Lol how you went out of your way and used every Japanese name and then fail over Empoleon's Japanese name... It's not Impoleon, it's Emperte... I guess you skipped Ursaring's Japanese name since you're into that line :P

Hmmm... About the episode, lets hope that this means that Snorlax is done for the league! I've personally seen that thing enough already, we know what it's capable of doing.

LOL! 3-0! And people were so adamant that Barry would do a better job against Paul then Ash, because he 'knows' Paul's strategies.. Heck, him being surprised that Paul switches often is proof that that isn't the case at all. Guess that bites how he was set up to be a rival, but didn't matter in the end, so similar to Nando! xD They were both used just to set the main rival up..
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

This make's Ash's battle with Paul later on more even more anticipating, difficult, and meaningful.

So far, in all of Ash's battle in all pokemon series, the 4 v 4 battle Ash won against Bradon was by far the best, because not only Ash use his best pokemon, but he also summon up so much of there will power and determination.

Paul's 6 v 6 battle with Ash will be much better, because not only Paul beat Ash 6-2, but is now strong enough to beat one of Ash's strongest rival 3-0.

Really, the fact that it was a 3-0 win seems, in my opinion, not that important. Barry put up a pretty good fight and had a good strategy, using Spikes as a way of trying to stop Paul switching. Paul didn't seem to care too much about the damage Spikes would do though, so the strategy didn't work as well as Barry hoped. Both Magmortar and Ursaring took a fair bit of damage and were probably near KOs too. Had Empoleon been able to defeat Electivire, it probably could have swept the other two in their weakened condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Lol how you went out of your way and used every Japanese name and then fail over Empoleon's Japanese name... It's not Impoleon, it's Emperte... I guess you skipped Ursaring's Japanese name since you're into that line :P
    Well funy that you mention it. ^^ Actually "Impoleon" is Empoleon's German name. I am German so I mix names up all the time. sometimes on purpose, sometimes by accident.
    I types "Kicklee" instead of "Hitmonlee" for example which is Hitmonlee's German name. I usually use the names that pop up in my head first. Remembering 3 different names for each Pokemon is pretty difficult.
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

Wow, 3 - 0. Paul was superior to Barry in everything... or was he really? Let´s look at it this way, Barry put up a fight in every part of the battle, both Empoleon and Hitmonlee fought better than one could have guessed. We all knew that Paul was to win but it was by no means the usual "one - hit and then KO" as we usually thinks of Pauls victories (except for the forst fight).

On the other hand, Paul was never threatend in the match, he did meet firece resistance but was never in real problem. He could counter everything Barry did. So at the same time 3 - 0 looks likes big numbers the battlesitself was far more even. But then one has to acknowlage that Paul was never in serious problems in the match. His victory was never in doubt.
    We say goodbye in the pouring rain
    And I break down as you walk away.
    Stay, stay.
    'Cause all my life I felt this way
    But I could never find the words to say
    Stay, stay.

~ Stay by Hurts

That Elekid we saw right back at the start of DP is all grown up then, eh? And now it knows Giga Impact. I swear the Hyper Beam/Giga Impact are just gratuitously given to every fully evolved/powerful Pokemon as soon as they reach that stage. Like Kingler.

Anyway, that Ursaring was on its last legs. Hitmonlee came very close to bringing the bear down and I reckon it only needed a couple more hits after it took that knocked-back Focus Blast. Hitmonlee almost came out of that battle with more credit than Empoleon I thought, but Ursaring was too powerful.

I'm glad Paul won so easily. For some reason I like that Barry was defeated so badly by his idol. I really don't think Barry chose the right Pok&#233;mon for this fight though. I mean really... I think he could've at least taken down one Pok&#233;mon if he had a different team.

BA~

Wonder if we'll ever find out how Paul got an Electivire?
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

I'm kinda surprised Barry didn't defeat at least one of Paul's Pokemon. I'm also surprised Hitmonlee stayed up for as long as it did. As soon as Skarmory went down, I thought Hitmonlee would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    Wonder if we'll ever find out how Paul got an Electivire?
    Doubtful. They didn't show how his Magmar evolved, so they propbably wont do here either. Not that its really a bad thing, we don't really need to see how they evolved lol.

A pretty standard battle for a league one. Definitely got the sense right away that Barry was in over his head. Barry's Skarmory takes one flamethrower and is knocked out, but Paul's Magmortar takes a Hydro Cannon from Empoleon and is still standing (and considering Empoleon is Barry's strongest pokemon, not good at all; in fact, Magmortar didn't even really try to dodge).

I was really impressed by Hitmonlee. It put up a great fight against Ursaring. I guess that's all I have for this episode. I was pretty underwhelmed the whole time knowing Paul would win.

I would love to know what Conway was saying about the Darkrai trainer though. Too bad Sushi or Durden or PK0082 don't appear to post in the episode discussion section.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

Barry put up a decent fight even if he lost 3-0 Paul pokemons took some dmg.

I guess this is it for Barry. I seriously don't believe he traveled for as long as Ash and Paul have. Anyway the battle was alright, it showed how powerful Paul is and Barry's Empoleon was better then it's ever been even though it lost. Poor Empoleon species.
    Last edited by Platinum fan.; 15th July 2010 at 11:28 PM.

Omg Barry got violated! Hitmonlee did the best and still didn't win! Oh boy and Electivire with Giga Impact?! You know for sure that thing will go up against Ash! Oh yes Ursaring and that guts ability again! That thing's a beast!

jolteonjak I agree I want to know what Conway was saying about the Darkrai too.

Edit: Platinum fan. I think you mean you don't think he traveled for as long as Ash and Paul has. If you mean you don't think Paul traveled as long as Ash did then you're wrong.
    Last edited by STICKTOPIA; 15th July 2010 at 11:23 PM.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Quote Originally Posted by STICKTOPIA View Post
    Omg Barry got violated! Hitmonlee did the best and still didn't win! Oh boy and Electivire with Giga Impact?! You know for sure that thing will go up against Ash! Oh yes Ursaring and that guts ability again! That thing's a beast!

jolteonjak I agree I want to know what Conway was saying about the Darkrai too.

Edit: Platinum fan. I think you mean you don't think he traveled for as long as Ash and Paul has. If you mean you don't think Paul traveled as long as Ash did then you're wrong.
    Lol, thanks for checking my spelling. Yeah I meant Paul. I don't think Barry is anymore experienced then Kenny, Kenny also has a team of fully evolved Pokemon and a Empoleon, so no way can Barry have traveled for as long as Ash and Paul after watching him bomb against Paul the way he did. He fought bravely but was not even in Paul's league, Pardon the pun. I need to edit that.
    Edit: Then again Paul switches his Pokemon like every ten seconds so it is rather tough to beat this guy regardless.
    Last edited by Platinum fan.; 15th July 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Sucks that Barry went down. Although Hitmonlee and Empoleon came close to taking down Paul's Pokemon.

I swear that Ursaring is a freaking Highlander. No matter anyone does, it never seems to go down. The thing took a Mega Kick, Hi Jump Kick, Blaze Kick, Close Combat, and a reflected Focus Blast and still have energy to spare. Its like the only way to take it down is to cut its head off.

I'm glad that Paul and Barry still have respect for each other. Despite the win coming easy, Paul told him it was a good battle and promised Barry another battle someday. And Barry didn't become petty about losing and still looks up to Paul realizing how strong he is. Neither one came out looking negative towards one another like everyone else thought would happen.

Its more likely that Barry has to learn to be more focused in a battle. Just because you get off a powerful attack, that doesn't mean you have the match and by no means should you become overconfident. Half the time he got a big move off, he starting bragging about how strong his Pokemon was without paying attention to Paul's Pokemon. Before he even realized it, he couldn't do anything but dodge his attacks instead of being able to counter. Pretty much all he has to do is stay completely focused in a battle, he has every other aspect down.

And Empoleon taking that last Thunder was beasty. He was pretty much like "That's all I got, so just finish me off". Very honorable instead of trying to fight a losing battle.

And where the heck does Conway come from?! The guy just creeps up on Dawn tons of times in this episode seemingly out of nowhere. He must be really after her since its only her he's always behind. Pffft, probably trying to get a peek under that skirt.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast