Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Gen 5] Common Misconceptions

This should be another rule:

Common Misconceptions 8: I'm new here...

Just because your new, doesn't mean you can post a RMT that is barely readable, random OU or UU Pokemon put together, with no elaborations, 255 EVs everywhere. It's ridiculous and getting out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmi101 View Post
    This should be another rule:

Common Misconceptions 8: I'm new here...

Just because your new, doesn't mean you can post a RMT that is barely readable, random OU or UU Pokemon put together, with no elaborations, 255 EVs everywhere. It's ridiculous and getting out of hand.
    This is Common Misconceptions for actual battling not for using forums...every forum has idiots who don't read the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli
    The user above is me, a major sleazy wh0re!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fried Rhys View Post
    lol yeah. A lot of these suggestions would be better suited for an "Introduction to Competitive Pokemon" or something similar.
    Next guide idea there Fried?

Banner credit: Jakotsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN
    Profesco says:
    You were an admirable baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0L View Post
    They named a game after me?

haha nah; I'll let someone else have the honor

Quote Originally Posted by Fried Rhys View Post
    haha nah; I'll let someone else have the honor
    I might do it, though I'd need tips and pointers - Been out of the game for too long.

Banner credit: Jakotsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN
    Profesco says:
    You were an admirable baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0L View Post
    They named a game after me?

I'd like to note that ninjask DOES NOT SUCK! Sure, it is quite noobish but I and hugendugen have used a non lead ninjask in UBERS and beaten some top players of ubers like locopoke.
    Start playing ubers, not OU. Serebii needs more ubers players!

Join my new forum:

http://rayquazasheaven.freeforums.org/index.php

Credit to J-Master!

Will not be active on weekdays due to school.

Quote Originally Posted by calze6 View Post
    I'd like to note that ninjask DOES NOT SUCK! Sure, it is quite noobish but I and hugendugen have used a non lead ninjask in UBERS and beaten some top players of ubers like locopoke.
    Ninjask in Ubers isn't Ninjask in OU.
    Ninjask is one of those Pokes like Heracross that performs better in Ubers than OU due to various factors, like less phazers, bug typing, etc.

Ninjask in OU sort of sucks.

edit: also what Fried Rhys said.
    Last edited by windsong; 21st August 2010 at 5:34 AM.

guide was mainly OU oriented. also weren't you and hugendugen ladder cheaters lol?

Try cheating against a mod. Besides, I'm laddering right now. And I win a lot against some well respected players.
    Start playing ubers, not OU. Serebii needs more ubers players!

Join my new forum:

http://rayquazasheaven.freeforums.org/index.php

Credit to J-Master!

Will not be active on weekdays due to school.

The STAB thing I mentioned a while back was a uncommon misconception at best, but this one is really a common one. If you don't believe me, then just check out all the Sandstorm teams on RMT. You'll probably see me quoting something like "Remember: Sandstorm teams don't have to be all Steel, Rock, and Ground types." Which leads me to my suggestion: weather teams don't have to be certain types.

Sandstorm teams are the more common ones. Many people who post Sanstorm teams make them all Steel, Rock, and Ground types, just because of the immunity to Sandstorm damage. This is generally a bad idea, due to the weaknesses that the three types share. Rock and Ground are both weak to Water and Grass, and Rock and Steel are both weak to Ground and Fighting. Two Pokemon in particular who can tear this kind of synergy apart are Infernape and Starmie. That being said, LO Starmie and ScarfRotom-A can be effectively used to counter Infernape and Starmie, respectively, and therefore can actually be good additions to Sandstorm teams.

Another common weather team, although not much of a problem, is rain. Many people post rain teams with only water types, mostly Swift Swimmers. Now, there are certain Water types that work well on rain teams, such as Ludicolo and Kingdra, that actually don't have the common Water weaknesses. Still, many Water types can be torn apart by Electric and Grass moves. As a result, Starmie is one Pokemon that becomes a threat to this type of weather team as well. Other Pokemon can take advantage of rain besides Water types. Scizor, Forretress, and Bronzong have their only weakness downsized. Rotom-W can counter Starmie and hit hard with rain boosted Hydro Pump, and even Thunder.

Hail is a much less common one, but still an important one. Hail teams are usually a bad idea, due to the huge lack of synergy resulting from a whole bunch of Ice types put on one team. Abomasnow is always going to be on a hail team, and Walrein is one of the few Pokemon that is viable, due to its Stallrein set, making two Ice types already. Too many Ice types can result in massive problems. Pokemon with powerful Fire, Steel, Rock, and Fighting type moves, as well as Stealth Rock, tear these kinds of teams to pieces. Gyarados can resist many of those types, making it viable for a team like this. Rotom-F can work as well with a 100% accurate Blizzard, besides its normal moves. Still, Hail is the odd-man-out, since it's usually a bad weather to base a team around.

That's about it for that. Oh, also you could put Weavile on your list of "Good on Paper =/= Good in Practice" section. Maybe if enough people realize that, then Weavile will stop taking up space in OU...
    Last edited by jesusfreak94; 23rd August 2010 at 10:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123