Thread: Dimensions of Darkness Book 3: The Explorers of the Beyond

Threaded View

Default Dimensions of Darkness Book 3: The Explorers of the Beyond

It's here, it's here, it's here at last! (Again!)

DIMENSIONS OF DARKNESS BOOK 3: THE EXPLORERS OF THE BEYOND

[Rated PG-13 for peril, mild fantasy violence, very mild language, and themes of death (Again)]

A note to all who read this: This is a sequel to Dimensions of Darkness Book 1: The Explorers of Nightmares and Dimensions of Darkness Book 2: The Explorers of the Core. If you haven't read the first two books, I suggest clicking on the links below and reading them first. (Again.)

Book 1: The Explorers of Nightmares
    Book 2: The Explorers of the Core

Well, I know there wasn't much of a break between this book and the last one, but I was too anxious to wait any longer. And first, and most importantly, I'd like to thank everyone who read and critiqued on my last thread. I couldn't have done it without you! (Again.)

And just so that this opening post isn't exactly like the one from my last fic, I'll also add these words of wisdom courtesy of our beloved hero Dusknoir:

"Two wrongs may not make a right, but always remember that three rights make a left."

Spoiler:- Character List-Characters in the Beyond-SPOILERS!!!:

Spoiler:- Character List-Characters on Earth-SPOILERS!!!:

Spoiler:- Attack List-SPOILERS:

Dimensions of Darkness - Related Illustrations

Spoiler:- Table of Contents:

Spoiler:- PM List:

And now...it begins! (Again.)

Prologue

A shadowy figure darted across the rocky soil towards the towering mansion ahead. He reached the large wooden door and knocked three times in quick succession. Slowly, the door creaked open and the head of a blue duck peeked out.

"Good evening, Golduck," the shadowy figure greeted.

"Ah, Master Darkrai!" the Pokemon named Golduck smiled. He bowed deeply and swung the door open farther. "I presume you are here to meet with Master Deoxys?"

Darkrai nodded and moved inside. "Yes, of course. I must speak to him immediately."

"Yes, of course," Golduck bowed again. "I will go and fetch him. Please, take a seat." He turned away and strode up the large flight of stairs along the wall. Darkrai floated forward into the enormous sitting room. There were a large number of comfy chairs sitting in a half-circle around the stone fireplace, which now held a roaring fire. Darkrai plopped down into one of the chairs nearest to the fire and sighed contentedly. The room was lit only by the fire, causing the shadows to dance on the walls and the large wooden bookshelves which lined the room. The shadows around Darkrai seemed to writhe even more violently than the rest, however.

"Ah, Darkrai, how good it is to see you."

Darkrai looked up to see a humanoid orange Pokemon walking down the staircase. A purple gem gleamed in the center of his chest. "Hello, Deoxys. I must say that you really know how to live. I never quite get used to the luxuries of this mansion."

"Let's cease with the pleasantries," Deoxys said softly, sitting down in the chair opposite Darkrai. He clapped his hands and Golduck appeared at his side.

"Yes, Master Deoxys?"

"Golduck, old friend, please go get some tea for our guest," Deoxys ordered. "I'll take some as well. Of course, don't forget to pour yourself a cup too."

Golduck bowed. "I will put the kettle on immediately." He hurried off towards the kitchen.

Deoxys turned back to Darkrai. "Now, judging by the urgency in which you demanded for me to open a portal, I can only imagine that something came up in the Core."

"Yes, there were difficulties," Darkrai nodded sheepishly. "Despite the fact that I unleashed Rayquaza to face them, and despite the fact that I even possessed Regigigas to battle them, I was still defeated. Piplup simply proved to be too strong yet again."

Deoxys sighed. "Darkrai, there are entire books dedicated to your failures."

"But," Darkrai interjected. "It was all for the greater good."

"How so?" Deoxys raised an eyebrow. "Just what did you pull off?"

Darkrai smiled maliciously. "When I entered the portal back here to the Beyond...I brought Piplup and Chimchar with me."

Deoxys had trained himself not to show facial emotions in reaction to any news, but he was hardly able to contain his gasp of surprise. "You actually managed to bring Piplup and Chimchar here? Incredible."

"Yes, it truly is," Darkrai gloated. "Right now, I have them locked up in Garchomp and Dragonite's jail. Two soldiers from the Core got sucked into the portal along with Piplup and Chimchar, and they're in the jail with them."

"Are you sure that is wise?" Deoxys inquired. "Piplup and Chimchar are incredibly resourceful. Dragonite and Garchomp are certainly capable, and the cell doors can withstand virtually any attack, but those two have found their way out of similar situations before."

"Trust me, they won't be escaping this time," Darkrai assured.

Deoxys scoffed. "Trust you? I can only trust you as far as I can throw you."

"You're one to talk," Darkrai growled. "But hey, even if Piplup and Chimchar do manage to escape, which they won't, then where are they going to go?"

"There are always the revolutionaries," Deoxys said.

"Yes, that is true," Darkrai admitted. "But we could hunt them down before they ever make it that far. But they will never escape the jail. There is only one thing they have to look forward to in their worthless lives."

Deoxys hid his smile, already knowing what Darkrai was going to say. "And that would be?"

Darkrai's smile was devoid of any emotion. "Their execution date."

Hope you all like it! It's short, I know, but it's just a taste of what's to come, so it can't be too long.

Anyway, this prologue starts in on something which will actually be focused on quite often throughout the rest of the fic: The relationship between Darkrai and Deoxys. The two are on the same side, it is true. They are partners when it comes to command of the Beyond, and they work together very often. However, they are not friends. Far from it, they will freely admit that they despise each other. But still, for the good of the Beyond, they work together to take down their foes. And they are a truly lethal combination...
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 5th January 2014 at 7:33 AM.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!