Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Dimensions of Darkness Book 3: The Explorers of the Beyond

Hi once again, everyone! Sorry the next chapter hasn't been posted yet, I should finish soon. It will be titled Thanksgiving and will introduce multiple new characters, though only two of them will have any major influence on the plot. It will also feature Tab and New Coke :P

In the meantime, fans of The Pokemon Show should check out my other currently running fic The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour for details about Piplup and the gang's return to showbusiness. Yep, coming soon will be a short fic titled simply The Pokemon. If you're interested, be sure to check it out!
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

I kind of disappeared from SPPf for a long long time(and more recently have left the other forum I used to frequent). When I finished my PMD Sky's postgame, I remembered this, and thought I might as well try to get back into this.

I read everything from Chapter 6(I think?) to the last one in one sitting, and I have to say, this still remains as amazing as ever. Do keep up the amazing work!
    Why do n00bs exist? Find out by pressing Ctrl+W!

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386
    I'd squeak, too, and I'm merely a year older than she is. Hey, and 18 year olds squeal, too. :P I know I do.

Eighteen year olds actually squeal in USA. IT'S A CONSPIRACY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD USING SQUEALS OF EIGHTEEN YEAR OLDS!

Credits to Gladeshadow!

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/mmxlg.png[/IMG]
    Exploting the AI like never before!

My OT fanfic: Fighting The Shadows

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post
    In the meantime, fans of The Pokemon Show should check out my other currently running fic The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour for details about Piplup and the gang's return to showbusiness. Yep, coming soon will be a short fic titled simply The Pokemon. If you're interested, be sure to check it out!
    Yet another fic on your already too long To Do list... If it wasn't for the fact that I know you're intending to make this quite short, I would already be adding it to the "fics that will die in five-and-a-half seconds" list. Actually, thinking about it...
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by scizorstrike View Post
    Yet another fic on your already too long To Do list... If it wasn't for the fact that I know you're intending to make this quite short, I would already be adding it to the "fics that will die in five-and-a-half seconds" list. Actually, thinking about it...
    BEGONE, FOUL DEMON BEAST!!!

Sorry for the wait, folks. I start Christmas break tomorrow, so I should get up a couple chapters soon.

Author's Profile

Eh, this chapter's only two months late. That's fine, right? Thanksgiving . . . New Years . . . same thing!

Chapter 22
    New Year

“Waiter! Let’s get another round over here!”

“I don’t remember signing up for this,” Magby muttered. He grunted with effort as he pushed the heavy door open and stepped inside, balancing a tray of tea and scones on his head as he did so. He stumbled as he entered, nearly upending the beverages. Fortunately, Piplup was able to come to his aid, catching the tilting tray and evening it out.

“Thanks for that,” Magby said in relief. “I had plenty of practice with Excadrill, but serving for eight is a lot more than I’m used to.”

“It’s fine, let me help,” Piplup said. “So this is what you’re doing when you’re not blacksmithing?”

The two continued chatting as they carted the tea towards its eventual recipients. The rest of the Infinity Knights were seated in a circle in the center of the room. Darmanitan was laughing hysterically and jumping in place, apparently at his own joke, while Torterra and Milotic simply rolled their eyes. Absol and Dragonite were in the middle of a slap-fight, which Piplup found surprisingly immature on Dragonite’s part. (Not so much on Absol’s.) Lugia surveyed the scene with a quiet smile.

After Magby had placed the tray in the center of the circle and taken his leave, Piplup sat back down next to Prinplup. The two reached forward simultaneously for teacups and their hands touched at the edge of the plate. Both drew back instinctively, then reached forward again more carefully. Piplup looked up uncertainly, but Prinplup simply winked and returned to her tea. Piplup shook his head in bewilderment, then grabbed a cup for himself.

Lugia cleared his throat, a sound more melodious than Piplup even thought possible. Even the increasingly violent squabble between Dragonite and Absol was ceased by Lugia’s cherubic vocal chords. All of the knights turned expectantly towards their king. “Okay, glad to see that everyone is here. Have you all enjoyed the tea and scones?”

“Amen!” Darmanitan whooped. He hurtled his teacup, which flew directly past Dragonite’s head. The dragon didn’t even flinch.

Torterra sighed. “Didn’t we have an agreement never to let him have caffeine?” Milotic gave him the serpentine equivalent of a shrug.

“So, what are we discussing?” Piplup asked. “Battle plans? War meeting? I’ve been waiting for this moment since I became a knight!”

Absol scratched his chin thoughtfully. “Dude, you just got here like three days ago.”

Piplup shrugged. “Hey, the heart wants what the heart wants.”

“No, Piplup, no war strategy today,” Lugia said. “For today is a day of celebration.”

“Celebration?” Piplup frowned. “What kind of celebration?”

“Whoa whoa, hold up,” Milotic said. “You really don’t’ know what day it is?”

Piplup shook his head. “In case you haven’t noticed, it’s dark here all the time. I haven’t been able to tell the difference between days since I got here. I’m not sure if I’ve been here two weeks or two months.”

“First of all, it’s been about two weeks since you showed up at the jail,” Dragonite said. “Nice guess. Second, today happens to be December 31.”

“December 31?” Piplup said. “But that means today . . .”

“New Year’s Eve, baby!” Darmanitan said. He whipped out a pair of noisemakers and began whirling them like helicopter rotors.

“New Year’s Eve,” Piplup breathed. “Holy Tauros. I never thought . . .”

Prinplup patted him on the shoulder. “Come on, lighten up. Try and have some fun!”

In a surprisingly emotional gesture, Dragonite pulled Piplup into a half-embrace. “Don’t sweat it. I’m here for you.”

“I’m here for you more!” Absol said indignantly. He tried squeezing his way to Piplup, but he was batted aside by Dragonite. Hanging his head, he limped away to sit next to Darmanitan. “Alright, I’ll just be here for you more over here, where I’m appreciated!”

“Merry Thanksgiving!” Darmanitan said, bouncing a dreidel off of his new companion’s head.

Absol nodded. “Thank you, dearest Darmanitan, thank you!” He glared pointedly at Dragonite. “See? Darmanitan makes me feel appreciated! That’s more than you’ve ever done for me!”

Dragonite ignored him, as usual. “Piplup, just stick with us and we’ll celebrate the old fashion way.”

“That we shall,” Lugia agreed. “Magby! Bring out the bubbly!”

“Aye aye, captain!” Magby burst through the doors again, carrying another large tray.

“I can’t hear you!” Absol cried.

“Somebody hit him,” Magby said. Dragonite happily obliged. The young blacksmith managed to get to his destination without Piplup’s assistance this time. Unfortunately, he slipped on a piece of Darmanitan’s shattered teacup and upended the tray over his head. Piplup waited for the sound of shattering china, but instead heard a chorus of dull metallic thuds. He hurried to help Magby clean up and leaned down to pick up the spilled contents. What he saw made his stomach lurch.

“Soda cans?” he gasped. “You have soda cans? But . . . but that’s . . .”

“Human drink?” Lugia said. “Absolutely correct.”

Piplup’s mouth opened and closed, but little sound came out. “How . . . I mean . . . what?”

“We had a guy,” Dragonite explained. “A guy who could get anything. He’d sneak into Darkrai’s headquarters and use the portal to go between this world and Earth. Eventually, he figured out he could get to the human continent, and he’d bring us back some good stuff from there.”

“Hold up,” Piplup said. “There’s a portal back to Earth? And you’re just telling me about this now?”

Dragonite shrugged. “I planned to take you there eventually, but it’s in the deepest reaches of Darkrai’s castle. There’s no way we could make it without getting Darkrai out of the way first.”

“What about this guy you keep talking about?” Piplup asked. “Couldn’t he get us in there?”

“He probably could’ve smuggled you and Chimchar in there,” Dragonite admitted. “But he’s been gone for a long time. About thirty years ago, he just gave up the ghost. Said he didn’t want to be part of the Resistance scene any more. Not honestly sure why he did it, but no one’s seen him since.”

Piplup sighed. “Of course. Raise my hopes, then dash them again.”

“That’s why I didn’t tell you sooner,” Dragonite said.

“No no, it’s fine,” Piplup said. “Alright, Magby, hit me with a Coke.”

Magby looked across the cans of soda. “Sorry, no Coke.”

“Fine then, Pepsi.”

“None of that either.”

Piplup frowned. “Really? Okay, what do you have?”

Magby picked up a can in each hand. “We’ve got Tab and New Coke. Take your pick.”

“Tab and New Coke? I’ve never heard of either,” Piplup said. “I’ll take a New Coke. At least it’s a Coke product.”

Piplup accepted the can from Magby, who then passed the rest of the cans around to the others. Absol cracked the can open with his teeth, only to be sprayed in the face with the built up fizz. “DEAR ARCEUS, MAKE IT STOP!”

Piplup stifled a laugh. “I see you have yet to make progress in the science of carbonation. It’s real simple. Drop can. Open can. Get soaked.”

“So I’ve learned,” Absol sputtered.

Still laughing, Piplup cautiously popped the tab on his can, which only fizzed slightly. He took a deep swig, eager to taste the sweet sugar of a human beverage once again. Instantly, he spit it back out, hacking and coughing. “Okay, that is just rancid!” He turned the can upside down to glance at the bottom, hardly caring as it splattered on the floor in front of him. “Lugia, this expired in 1986.”

Lugia shrugged. “Like Dragonite said, our inside man quit a long time ago. This has been in the stock for longer than I can remember.”

“Normally, I would say it was better than nothing,” Piplup said. “But this time, I can’t.”

“I understand,” Lugia said. “I can send Magby for some more tea, if you’d like.”

Piplup shook his head. “No, I’m fine without.” He turned away. “I’m fine without anything now.”

Lugia opened his mouth to speak, but Dragonite held up a hand to stop him. Piplup walked away from the group, staring at his feet. Dragonite silently followed. He stood at the penguin’s side for a few long moments before finally speaking. “So?”

“So what?”

“So, what are you going to do?”

Piplup scowled. “What am I supposed to do? Not like I have anywhere else to go.”

Dragonite’s patience was eternal. “Oh, I’m sure you can think of something.”

“What? Are 88 and 89 having some big blowout party that I don’t know about?”

“Well, maybe,” Dragonite said. “But you know as well as me that that’s not what I’m talking about.” Piplup snorted derisively. “There’s no need to be bitter. You can still make things right.”

“I can try,” Piplup said. “But I can’t do it alone. Besides, I’m not the one who started this mess anyway.”

Dragonite shrugged. “Do whatever you want. It’s your life.” He paused. “By the way, I think you still owe me an apology for some hurtful things said at the dinner table.”

“Eh, maybe later,” Piplup said. “One step at a time.” He strode back to the middle of the room. Prinplup gave him an inquisitive look, but didn’t press him.

Lugia turned his attention away from a scone fight between Absol and Darmanitan and glanced back at Piplup. “Anything you need?”

“Yes, actually,” Piplup said. “I mean no offense, but I’d like to be excused from our little party. I have another matter that needs attending to.”

Lugia smiled and nodded. “Of course. I had a feeling you’d decide to leave at some point. Go to him.”

“Thank you, sir,” Piplup said, bowing. “I’d love to stay, really, but I need to do this.”

“I know,” Lugia said. “Now leave. Time runs short.”

Piplup nodded and turned toward the exit. Just as he prepared to push the door open, Prinplup appeared beside him. “Leaving so soon?”

“Yeah, I’ve got some business to attend to elsewhere.”

“That’s a shame,” Prinplup sighed. “I was hoping you’d stick around. After all, I don’t want to be stuck kissing Absol at midnight.”

Piplup laughed. “It’ll be fine, I – “ He paused, suddenly realizing the implication in Prinplup’s words. “Wait, you mean –“

At that moment, Dragonite stepped up behind the pair. “Piplup, you really should get going. It’s only a couple hours to midnight.”

“You’re right,” Piplup said. He turned to Prinplup, his face reddening. “I really have to go. Sorry to leave you, but I need to do this.”

“I understand,” Prinplup said. “Guess it’s a rain check on the midnight kiss. Maybe another time.”

Piplup very nearly stopped right then. However, nothing was enough to hold him back now. He had a friend to catch.

“Food fight!”

Chimchar ducked as a Rawst Berry sailed over his head. More berries shot past him, causing him to duck and weave back and forth to avoid being struck. Charizard and Meganium continued walking nonchalantly, hardly paying attention to the berry shrapnel pelting them. It seemed as if the entire camp, located on the very edge of Gris Plain, had exploded. Every tent had at least a few occupants using it as shelter, routinely stepping out to take some shots at neighbors.

“You two seem surprisingly calm about this,” Chimchar said, diving beneath Meganium and walking in-between her legs to avoid the rain of food.

“This is a regular occasion here,” Meganium explained. “You’re lucky, you get to hang out with the real party people.”

Chimchar gulped. “This will either be fun or terrifying. Any idea which?”

“Probably both,” Charizard said. “I’ve had plenty of good times with these guys, though they have made me fear for my life on a few occasions.”

“That’s comforting,” Chimchar muttered. “Still, this does look like where the action’s happening.”

“You got that right, bud.”

Chimchar looked up to see a black and gray canine standing in the path ahead. He too seemed completely oblivious to the raging battle around him. Charizard stepped forward to greet him, giving him a wide grin. “Long time no see.”

“Ain’t that right,” the canine smirked. “I thought you might have gone and got yourself killed without me.”

“You’d have liked that, wouldn’t you?” Charizard retorted.

“Break it up, boys,” Meganium cut in. “Someone’s waiting on you.”

Charizard glared briefly at Meganium before conceding. “Right. Chimchar, get out here. There’s someone I want you to meet.”

Chimchar stepped forward, smiling politely to the newcomer. “Hi, I’m Chimchar. Pleased to meet you.”

“The pleasure is mine,” the canine said. “You can call me Robin Hood.”

Chimchar raised his eyebrow in disbelief. “Are you serious?”

“No, I’m not Sirius,” Robin Hood said. “That would be plagiarism.”

“That’s not what I – Oh, never mind.”

“If you’ll excuse us, ‘Robin Hood’, we’re kind of in a hurry,” Meganium said.

‘Robin Hood’ sighed. “Fine. My real name’s Mightyena, but I prefer to be called Robin Hood. Whichever’s easier for you, I suppose.”

“Alrighty then,” Chimchar said. He turned to Meganium. “And you’re leaving? Why?”

“We’ve got a camp of our own to attend to,” Meganium said. “But this is where you’ll be working, so we figured a festive time like tonight would be a good time for you to get acquainted with your new allies.”

Chimchar frowned. “Festive time? What do you mean?”

“You don’t know?” Mightyena gasped. “Well, you are a foreigner. It’s easier to keep track of time here when you’ve lived here all your life.”

“Today’s New Year’s Eve,” Meganium said. “Just a couple hours to midnight.”

“New Year’s Eve?!” Chimchar gasped. “But that means . . . wow. We missed Christmas!”

Mightyena whistled through his teeth in surprise. “Wow, that’s rough. You sure missed an awesome party here.”

“Don’t worry, we’ll make sure to make it up to you,” Meganium assured.

“Once we’ve gotten through our hardships, of course,” Charizard added.

Chimchar was hardly listening. He was still in a state of shock at the news he’d been given. Finally, he brought himself back to attention. “It’s fine. I’m sure we’ll have plenty of fun tonight.”

“You can count on that!” Mightyena said. “Come on, I’ll introduce you to the guys.”

“Alright,” Chimchar agreed. He turned to the partners who had accompanied him. “So you’re sure you have to leave?”

“Yep, sorry,” Meganium said. “We’ll come visit you soon and check on how things are going.”

“You’ll do fine here,” Charizard said. “Robin Hood may not seem like much, but he’s more competent than you think.”

Mightyena grinned wolfishly. “I wish I could say the same for Little John here, but alas, I cannot.”

“Alas?” Charizard smirked. “What is this, the 14th Century?”

A vine suddenly wrapped itself around Charizard’s neck and yanked him away. “Come on, ‘Little John’,” Meganium said. “Let’s blow this place before it blows on us.” She turned and gave Chimchar a comforting smile. “See you later! And have a Happy New Year!”

“You too! Bye!” Chimchar said, waving as Meganium dragged the helpless Charizard away. After a few moments, he turned back to Mightyena. “Alright, let’s get this show underway. You said you wanted me to meet someone?”

“Of course!” Mightyena said, nodding vigorously. He raised his head and howled, causing Chimchar to cover his ears. “Merry Men! Assemble!”

Abruptly, the flaps of the nearest tent burst open and three Pokemon rushed out, striking a pose behind Mightyena. “Aye aye, Robin!”

The first of the three, a large blue Pokemon with orange cheeks, glanced around in bewilderment. “I thought I heard Little John. Where is he?”

“He had to leave, Swampert,” Mightyena explained. “But I have someone for you guys to meet.” He turned back to Chimchar. “This is Chimchar. Chimchar, meet the Merry Men.”

Chimchar eyed the Pokemon before him wearily. “Um, hi.”

“Hi indeed!” A cicada-like Pokemon, a Ninjask, was flying circles over Mightyena’s head as he spoke. “I’m Alan-a-Dale. I’m a wandering minstrel.”

“Really?” Chimchar said, impressed. “What instrument do you play?”

‘Alan-a-Dale’ lighted down gently on the hard earth. He cleared his throat, then began to play. He scraped his wings together as fast as he could, so fast that Chimchar was sure the friction would light the poor Ninjask on fire. Instead, a shrill screech cut the air like a knife through butter. Chimchar would have covered his ears if he were less polite, but he didn’t want to insult the minstrel. Eventually, Ninjask ceased his playing and took a deep bow. “I play wings, quite well if I do say so myself.” He leaned in close to Chimchar’s ear. “Actually, I know it’s horrible. I just do it because I know it drives Mightyena nuts.” He rolled his eyes. “Canines.”

Chimchar grinned. “I hear ya. Nice performance.”

“Moving along,” Mightyena said, cutting in to the conversation. “There’s more, you know.”

A smaller white Pokemon floated forward, a Castform. “Hiya!”

“They say a good family wants little and has much,” Mightyena said. “We figure we’re halfway there since this young fella’s name is Much.”

“Much the Miller’s Son,” the Castform said. “Of course, that’s only my stage name. You can call me Castform.”

“Castform!” Mightyena snapped. “I keep telling you, you have to go by your stage name! It’s not a stage name if you never go by it!”

Castform sighed. “Sorry, Mightyena.” There was a low growl. “Sorry, I mean Robin.”

“I’m next!” Swampert declared. “They saved the best for last! Call me Benkei.”

Chimchar frowned. “Benkei? Isn’t he a figure from Japanese mythology? Hardly relatable to Robin Hood.”

“That’s true,” ‘Benkei’ admitted. “But I wanted the role, and no one argued.”

“That’s because you could sit on anyone of us and kill us,” Mightyena said.

“Yes, I suppose you’re right,” Swampert said. “But I don’t care! I die standing up. That’s the most honorable death of all!”

Chimchar raised an eyebrow. “Easy to see why you picked the role.”

“I know, right?” Swampert beamed. “Now we just have to pick a stage name for you.”

“I get a stage name?” Chimchar said in surprise.

“Of course!” Mightyena said. “If you’re going to be a part of our band of Merry Men, you’ll need one!”

Chimchar grinned. “Part of your gang? Awesome!”

Mightyena scratched his chin with his paw. “Hmm, let me think. Would you want to be Maid Marian?”

“Er, no. Thank you.”

“Fine, your loss,” Mightyena said, shrugging. “What about Friar Tuck?”

Chimchar considered it. “That’ll do. It’s certainly better than Maid Marian.”

“Then it’s settled!” Swampert whooped. “Welcome to the Merry Men, Friar Tuck!”

Chimchar smiled. Here he was, already part of a group again. It felt great to be welcomed. But still . . .

“So, this is the new recruit?”

The Merry Men whirled around at the voice, startling Chimchar. Mightyena snarled ferociously and Swampert pounded his fists together. A yellow humanoid Pokemon was facing them, his arms crossed over his chest. He was watching the scene with quiet amusement, yet he still seemed bored. He’d obviously put up with the ‘Merry Men’ act before.

“Get ready, Friar Tuck!” Mightyena warned. “It’s the crooked Sheriff of Nottingham, here to arrest us poor outlaws! But we’ll never let him!”

“Let me at him!” Ninjask whooped. “Let me at him!”

“Hold your ground, Alan-a-Dale,” Mightyena ordered. “At least give him a chance to speak before we kill him.”

The newcomer sighed dramatically. “Mightyena, we’ve gone over this a thousand times. Please quit trying to involve me in this foolish ‘Robin Hood’ game you insist on playing day in and day out. I’m here to meet the newest lieutenant, sent by General Lugia himself.”

“Ah, so that’s his rank,” Mightyena said. “But you’ll never have him, wicked Sheriff! He’s one of us now!”

“It’s fine, Kadabra,” Swampert said. “I’ll hold back ‘Robin’ while you talk to the newbie.”

“Thank you,” the humanoid said, stepping forward to stand before Chimchar. Mightyena yipped incessantly, but the others ignored him. “My name is Kadabra. You are Chimchar, correct?”

Chimchar nodded. “You’re correct.” They shook hands. “Nice to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Kadabra said. “I run this camp and keep the others in line.” He glared pointedly at Mightyena. “At least, I try to.”

“It seems like you do a nice job of running the place,” Chimchar said. At precisely that moment, the food fight resumed. The fighting was more intense than before and Chimchar was sure that he saw an entire berry pie fly through the air.

“As I said, I try,” Kadabra grumbled. He quickly raised a Light Screen shield to protect him and his new recruit from oncoming projectiles.

Chimchar could see the Merry Men valiantly fighting against a group of Glameow and Purrloin on the other side of the shield. He winced as Mightyena fell before an onslaught of Aspear Berries. “You have to admit, that does look like fun.”

“Perhaps a bit,” Kadabra said. “But as leader of the camp, I have to prevent myself from stooping to such levels. I must set a good example.” A rotten Tamato berry splattered against the Light Screen. “Disgusting, am I right?”

“Horrifically,” Chimchar agreed. “By the way, thanks for the shield.”

Kadabra smiled, a truly unnerving sight. “Of course. But you know, you really should be exposed to open combat like this. It’ll prepare you for real battle more quickly than any training we can give you here.”

Chimchar suddenly realized what was about to happen. “Wait a second, you’re not really going to –“

With a final wink, Kadabra disappeared, teleporting out of sight. A split second later, the Light Screen disappeared, leaving Chimchar exposed. He immediately came under fire and was pelted with Oran Berries. He stumbled backward, only to slip in some honeydew. He hit the ground and covered his head, waiting for it to end. A monstrous hand suddenly wrapped around his neck, causing him to scream shrilly. He struggled against the grip, but was unable to break free as he was dragged through the dirt by his unseen assailant. With one final tug, he was heaved into the nearest tent.

“Get in here!” Chimchar sighed in relief as he realized that it was only Swampert. “What are you, a meshuggener?”

“Sorry, I was a bit surprised,” Chimchar said. “I didn’t know what to – aiiih!!!” His voice trailed off in another scream as he got a good look at Swampert. The Mud Fish Pokemon’s chest and forehead were covered in splotches of blood.

Swampert looked at Chimchar inquisitively. “What? What are you screaming about?” He glanced down at himself. “Oh, that’s why.” He wiped a finger through the liquid and tentatively licked it off. Chimchar nearly vomited. “Cheri! My favorite!”

Chimchar couldn’t help but laugh at that. “Man, you guys really know how to live here, don’t you?”

“Kid, you’re one of us now,” Swampert said. “I hope you’re a party animal, because we are gonna rock and roll all night and party every day!”

“Sounds great,” Chimchar said, beaming. “This has to be the perfect place to celebrate . . .” His voice trailed off. “ . . . New Year’s Eve.”

Swampert noticed the hesitation. “What’s wrong, kid? You can tell me.” He looked back and forth conspiratorially. “Mightyena may play the Robin Hood part, but I’m the real leader behind our little band. It’s my job to make sure my brothers get what they need.”

“Well, this place is fantastic, really,” Chimchar said. “And I’d love to spend the night with you guys. But there’s someone else . . . Someone I really feel I need to see.”

“Ah,” Swampert said in understanding. “What are you waiting for? Go to them! We’re not offended.”

Chimchar shook his head. “It’s not quite that simple. We just had a pretty big spat a few days ago, and I feel a little guilty about it. I’m sure he won’t forgive me so soon for what I said, if he forgives me at all.”

“Oh ye of little faith,” Swampert said. “It’s New Years Eve. No matter what you two have been through, you need to be together. A night like this is a time to be with those you love and who love you back. Forget stupid arguments and stuff like that for now. Just have fun together! That’s what the holidays are about.”

Chimchar looked up with a smile. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’d better get going if I’m going to have any chance of making it by midnight.”

“Then what are you waiting for?” Swampert asked. “Go go go! Run! RUN!”

“I’m running!” Chimchar cried, turning and fleeing the tent. “I’M RUNNING!”

“Yes!” Swampert hooted, stepping out to watch. “YES! GO! GET OUT OF HERE! YEAH!!!”

“Thanks for the talk!” Chimchar called back as he ran through the camp, not even caring as berries pounded the ground around him. “I really needed it!”

“Forget about it!” Swampert answered. “Just keep running!”

“BANZAI!”

A Tamato berry splattered against the side of Swampert’s face. He blinked three times, then spun in pursuit of his assailant. “That’s it, Mightyena, you’re a dead ‘mon! DEAD!”

The shouts reached Chimchar’s ears even as he left the camp behind, bringing a smile to his face once again. Perhaps the coming weeks wouldn’t be so bad after all.

Neither Piplup nor Chimchar could believe their eyes as they came into each other’s view. The vast expanse of plain between them seemed to shrink instantly as they hurried on. They were both out of breath by the time they reached each other.

They spoke simultaneously. “I can’t believe –“ They stopped, laughing, then resumed together. “That you came clear out here . . .” They trailed off in laughter once again. Finally, Piplup managed to speak.

“You came back,” he said in surprise. “You met me half way this time.”

“And I can’t believe you came out here for me,” Chimchar said. “What about the knights? What about Prinplup? You just left them?”

Piplup winced as he thought of Prinplup. “Yeah, I pulled myself away somehow. You’d better be dang satisfied I did this, though.”

Chimchar laughed. “Me? You should be thankful I’m here for you! I had a way better offer, believe me.”

A few minutes later, they were sitting around a campfire (graciously provided by Chimchar). They swapped their stories of the night. They talked about Swampert and Dragonite, food fights and midnight kisses, Merry Men and New Coke. And for that time, everything was right with the world. Two old partners were alone with their thoughts, having fun in the simplest way they could think of, and enjoying all of it. Life was perfect again. Until . . .

“Um, Chimchar,” Piplup said eventually. “Do you have any idea how close it is to midnight?”

Chimchar opened his mouth to answer, then stopped. “No. No I don’t.”

“Great,” Piplup said sarcastically. “How do we know when to start our countdown?”

“Maybe some friends could help out.”

Both Pokemon jumped in surprise. Then, Piplup smiled in delight as two more figures stepped into the light of the fire. “88! 89!”

Indeed it was. The Shieldon and Cranidos immediately sat down by the fire, panting from exhaustion. “What in the heck are you guys doing here?” Chimchar asked.

“Eh, things were starting to feel lonely back the HQ party,” 88 said. “We knew we’d have more fun at a party of our own, and once Dragonite told us that Piplup had left, we figured we’d just come hang out with you guys. Guess we made the right choice.”

“Yup!” 89 agreed emphatically. “And we even brought a watch, so we could have a countdown.”

Piplup couldn’t help but marvel at the abilities of the Resistance’s former inside man. First the human drinks, and now a clock? It was astounding. He hoped he’d get to meet this Pokemon someday.

“We brought some New Coke too,” 88 added. “Whatever that is.”

“Thanks, but I’ll pass on that,” Piplup said.

89 shrugged. “Suit yourself.” He popped the tab off his can, only to be blasted with a torrent of fizz. “Aargh! It burns!”

All of the others laughed, and 89 himself joined them a moment later. They kept laughing and laughing until they could laugh no more.

“Wait a sec,” 89 said, frowning. “What were we laughing about?”

“Heck if I know,” 88 said. He leaned over to look at the watch face lying on the ground in front of him. “I don’t even know how to read this stupid thing.”

Piplup picked up the watch. “Let me see.” As he glanced across the face, he was astonished to realize that it was a Rolex. However, he pushed that aside as he noticed something more important. “Holy frijoles! It’s one minute to midnight!”

“I don’t have a clue what frijoles are,” 88 said. “But it sounds serious!”

“No, he’s not Sirius,” Chimchar said. “That would be plagiarism.”

88 turned to Piplup in confusion and exasperation. “What in the heck is he talking about?”

“I don’t have a clue!” Piplup said. “But we’re down to fifteen seconds!”

“So soon?” 89 asked. “It didn’t seem like that long. Not even close. It seems highly doubtful that –“

He was cut off as the others began the countdown. “Ten! Nine! Eight!”

Piplup and Chimchar turned to each other. They nodded simultaneously and smiled.

“Three! Two! One! Happy New Year!”

There was a loud burst as 89 fired a confetti cannon that he’d somehow gotten a hold of. Unfortunately, the blast was aimed directly at 88’s head. The Shieldon reeled sideways, nearly falling into the fire. “Yikes! Watch where you point that thing!”

“Sorry!”

Chimchar sighed. “You know, I never expected we would have been spending New Years Eve in a place like this. Normally, it’d be depressing, but this is actually alright.”

“Agreed,” Piplup said. “This is all really weird, but I’m still happy.”

And he was. He might not have been in the most ideal place to celebrate, but he was with Chimchar, and that was enough. Even being with 88 and 89 was better than nothing. It wasn’t a banner year, but it wasn’t horrible. He’d made friends. He’d lost friends. (He’d do plenty more of both in the coming year, but more on that later.) But he was happy.

“Better not get too happy,” 89 said. “It’s 2012, remember? We’re all gonna die this year.” He scratched his chin thoughtfully. “Come to think of it, we don’t even need to stop Darkrai. Armageddon will do it for us.”

There was a moment of silence. Then, Piplup and Chimchar simultaneously burst into laughter, joined a moment later by 88 and 89.

It was the last good laugh they’d have for a long time to come.

Hope you all enjoy it! I genuinely intend to get some more chapters up soon, though I've got a few other things I'm working on as well. Also, if you haven't checked it out yet, here is a link to my other fic The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour. I recently posted a ton of interviews there in reference to The Pokemon, a short fic of mine due out later this year. The interview in the link is the first of many, so be sure to read the rest of them if you're interested!
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 29th April 2012 at 2:22 AM.

Author's Profile

Harry Potter and Robin Hood references FTW! lol awesome chapter I'm glad Piplup and Chimchar spent New year's eve together, that was sweet.

Name: Drainer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Nice change of pace, I liked this chapter Darmanitan's antics were pretty amusing along with everyone else I look forward to more chapters like this.

Good chapter! Like Mudkip43 said, it was a nice change of pace. I liked it.

So they don't need to stop Darkrai if they're going to die at the end of the year, right?
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by pikagirl View Post
    Harry Potter and Robin Hood references FTW! lol awesome chapter I'm glad Piplup and Chimchar spent New year's eve together, that was sweet.
    Out of curiosity, where is the Harry Potter reference? Because I didn't do one intentionally :P

Author's Profile

Nice chapter.

Now I want to know who this guy was who got all the items from earth.

I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this super secret portal to earth.

Well it looks like they had a great New Years celebration, soda can fails and epic food fights, yeah sounds like a great time, better then my New Years at least.

Loved "Robin Hood's" and the others act.

Can't wait for the next chapter, where we will see how 2012 will treat them, and from what you gave away in the chapter I can tell its not going to be pretty.

Great chapter.

Edit: I'm not sure why I didn't ask for this eariler, but can I please be on the PM list?
    Much appericated.

'Til next time,

Knightfallsigning off...
    Last edited by Knightfall; 8th January 2012 at 6:37 PM. Reason: PM list request

Glad you liked it! Yep, you're on the PM list.

Author's Profile

“No, he’s not Sirius,” Chimchar said. “That would be plagiarism.”
    But if it wasn't a HP reference then just forget I mentioned lol. Funnily enough I'm currently watching the old Robin Hood disney movie. lol

Weird, I never even thought of it that way. It's supposed to be a reference to another fic, the Brendan and May Adventure series by Breezy. One of the main characters in that series is a Mightyena named Sirius.

Author's Profile

Great chapter! It's nice and weird to see everyone relaxing and having a good time when they're in such a bad time.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Weird, I never even thought of it that way. It's supposed to be a reference to another fic, the Brendan and May Adventure series by Breezy. One of the main characters in that series is a Mightyena named Sirius.
    Ahhhh, OK then. I've never read that fanfic so that's most likely why I got confused.

So I read this, But I'm too lazy to review. I only post these things to rack up my postcount. But in all seriousness, there's not much to review. I didn't see any grammar/spelling mistakes. The only thing I relly have a small problem with is a) Dragonite got over the insults from Piplup very quickly, and b) What in the universe is New Coke?
    “Lugia, this expired in 1986.”
    “Better not get too happy,” 89 said. “It’s 2012, remember? We’re all gonna die this year.” He scratched his chin thoughtfully. “Come to think of it, we don’t even need to stop Darkrai. Armageddon will do it for us.”
    See, it makes no sense! No one I know has ever heard of New Coke. Or Tab for that matter. Otherwise, good chapter!
    FC: 2277-6776-7710
    Ground, , , Diggersby

Looking for Floette (Orange and White) Safaris. Also looking for specific Safaris here.

If you would like a bred or Gen IV-V Event Pokémon in return for these safaris, let me know and I'll see what I can do about your request.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDragons View Post
    So I read this, But I'm too lazy to review. I only post these things to rack up my postcount. But in all seriousness, there's not much to review. I didn't see any grammar/spelling mistakes. The only thing I relly have a small problem with is a) Dragonite got over the insults from Piplup very quickly, and b) What in the universe is New Coke?

See, it makes no sense! No one I know has ever heard of New Coke. Or Tab for that matter. Otherwise, good chapter!
    Admittedly, it does seem like Dragonite gets over the insults pretty quickly. I think he just realizes that Piplup was getting frustrated with Chimchar and took his anger out on him instead. At leas that's the convenient thing to say :P

I'm not surprised, I'd never heard of Tab or New Coke before I saw The Muppets last November. New Coke was a re-formulation of Coke which was released in the mid-80s (and gotten rid of in the early 90s). Tab is a Coke-brand soda which came out in the early 60s and was pretty popular in the 70s. They apparently still make it now, but I've never seen it anywhere.

Author's Profile

I'm not surprised, I'd never heard of Tab or New Coke before I saw The Muppets last November. New Coke was a re-formulation of Coke which was released in the mid-80s (and gotten rid of in the early 90s). Tab is a Coke-brand soda which came out in the early 60s and was pretty popular in the 70s. They apparently still make it now, but I've never seen it anywhere.
    I only heard about (and worked out what they were) after this chapter. New Coke was either the biggest gambit ever, or the stupidest decision ever. Your choice.
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

Sorry it's taking this long for the next chapter. I was hoping to have it up this weekend, but that's looking less likely now. I'll be gone for a week starting next Saturday, so I'm hoping to get the chapter up before then, but I'm just not sure. As compensation, here's a brief preview of what's to come:

Chapter 23 - 88 and 89 make some new friends, a character dies, and Zoroark's mysterious departure is explained.

Chapter 24 - Grovyle spies on some of Shiftry's companions and makes a startling discovery.

Chapter 25 - Lugia tells Piplup of the past, while Darkrai does ironically the same thing with Deoxys. Also, Combusken makes a decision.

Chapter 26 - Stuff happens, not much exciting.

Chapter 27 - The most massive battle yet begins in the Beyond.

Chapter 28 - The most massive battle continues.

Chapter 29 - A confrontation breaks out in Treasure Town.

Chapter 30 - All hope is lost . . .

There's still more after this, but this is all that I'll hint at for now.

Author's Profile

Chapter 27 to 30 is gonna be epic, isn't it? =‿‿= I love epicness. I can tell its gonna be the epicest epic thing in the history of epicness.
    No longer active here. You can find me at the forum below, I'm AngelEevee.

Wow, it all looks good. Should have known that someone was going to die soon. Looks like we can expect a massive battle soon. I wonder what is to come after Chapter 30.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Dude I have been reading all the past chapters before I joined serebii and I have to say I love your fic. Keep it up man and I can't wait for the next chapter! Also add me to the PM list

Not everyone needs a beast connection to beast a CoD

Sorry for the long wait, folks. I've been pretty busy over the last couple months, and I plan to get the next chapter posted some time over the next couple of weeks. But that's not why I'm posting here now. Rather, I want to display these. Thanks to the wonder that is Colors! 3D on the Nintendo 3DS, I have finally achieved my ultimate dream: illustrations which accompany my fan-fics. More pics will join those currently present, so be sure to check them out!
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 24th April 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Author's Profile

Sorry for the long wait, folks. I've been pretty busy over the last couple months, and I plan to get the next chapter posted some time over the next couple of weeks. But that's not why I'm posting here now. Rather, I want to display this. Thanks to the wonder that is Colors! 3D on the Nintendo 3DS, I have finally achieved my ultimate dream: illustrations which accompany my fan-fics. More pics will join those currently present, so be sure to check them out!

I can't see them for some reason.

Sorry about that. I believe the link has been fixed.

Author's Profile

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast