Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dimensions of Darkness Book 3: The Explorers of the Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post

The Winds of Change

This fic takes place in New Hyrule many centuries after Spirit Tracks, during which time the land has developed into a more present-day society. Then, through a fluke of discovery, Ganondorf is again freed, only to discover that the world isn't what he expected...

Expect it soon!
    Yeah, right. while you have a decent track record for one-shots, it's usually slap-bang in the middle of one of your incredibly long breaks. anything you're trying to pull here?
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by scizorstrike View Post
    Yeah, right. while you have a decent track record for one-shots, it's usually slap-bang in the middle of one of your incredibly long breaks. anything you're trying to pull here?
    Actually, I'm making very little progress on anything. I got my laptop back and I'll try to get the next chapter posted tonight, but I'm going to have to send it in to Sony in a day or two, which will likely take a week or so. That's when I'll work on my one-shot, which despite my best efforts over the past couple days, still only has a few paragraphs done.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Sorry for the wait. This is probably my favorite chapter so far. Its humor and slapstick is reminiscent of the good ole days of Books 1 and 2, which I’m glad to have been able to return to briefly. That, and it includes Mariachi music, a new Plan of Action, and the phrase “unconscious cactus”. So, here it is:

Chapter 13
    The Fourth Wall Crumbles

Deoxys continued to back away as Umbra gleamed before him. “Darkrai, I know a good many things, yet I was completely unaware that you had this . . . monstrosity in your possession.”

Darkrai laughed and ran his hand down the humming blade. “You may think you know all that goes on here in the Beyond, and that goes on with me. You are wrong in that assumption. I have learned to evade your prying eyes throughout the years.”

“In all my life, I have seen wonders,” Deoxys said, ignoring his partner’s statement. “And I have seen horrors. I’m not sure which I’m looking at right now.”

“It all depends on what side of the point you’re looking at,” Darkrai said. “To us, it shall be a shining ray of hope. To our enemies, it will be the last terror they ever see.”

Deoxys shook his head somberly. “It is true, this is a weapon of enormous power. But it bears a terrible curse.”

“Ha!” Darkrai scoffed. “I have been in possession of Umbra for many long years, yet I suffer no curse.”

“But you have yet to wield it in battle, if I’m correct,” Deoxys pointed out. “This weapon’s power comes from the lives it takes.” He paused. “Do you not know the history of this sword?”

Darkrai shrugged. “I know what is necessary. It is a weapon of mass destruction, and that is all we need.”

Deoxys ignored him again. “Long ago, the Beyond was ruled by a peaceful king named Infernape. He was one of the original allies of Giratina who was banished here alongside him. But he genuinely regretted his actions in the true world, along with many others. They made sure that the Beyond was governed justly and attempted to redeem themselves of their previous crimes.”

“Yes, yes, I know this story!” Darkrai snapped. “So does everyone else in the Beyond!”

“Then you know that the symbols of this peaceful reign were twin blades forged by the first blacksmith, Heatmor,” Deoxys continued. “The two blades, gold and silver, were the unifying force of the Beyond, and King Infernape held them like precious gems.”

Darkrai sighed. “And then came Electabuzz.”

Deoxys nodded. “Yes. Infernape’s nephew, Electabuzz, stole the silver blade. Then, in the duel that ensued, Electabuzz slew the king.” He glared at Umbra. “The very sword that you hold. The King Killer. A blade tainted with innocent blood, and forever cursed by it.”

“Perhaps that is true,” Darkrai said. “In fact, I know it was true.” He smiled. “I am a descendant of Electabuzz. That is how I obtained Umbra.”

Deoxys managed to keep his face expressionless. “I was unaware of that fact.”

“I know you were,” Darkrai laughed. “I would not have told you otherwise.”

“You run much deeper than I ever would have guessed, Darkrai,” Deoxys stated.

“I know that as well,” Darkrai nodded. “One day, you will learn not to underestimate me.” In one swift movement, he sheathed Umbra. Then he hung the strap over his shoulder and turned to the door. “Come now, Deoxys. There is a battle waiting, and Umbra craves blood.”

Deoxys frowned. “Yes, that is true. And if your plan fails and Piplup escapes, then it will have no blood to feast on but your own. And it will take it.”

Darkrai turned back briefly with a menacing sneer. “My plan will not fail. But even if it does, Umbra can always find the blood of another. Even you would make a worthy sacrifice.”

“I may be worthy,” Deoxys said. “But I won’t go down without a fight.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Darkrai smirked. “But hopefully it won’t come down to that.”

Deoxys scoffed sarcastically. “May luck be with me.”

“Wow, this is sad.”

“I know what you mean.”

“This makes the canyon look like a sunshine-filled beach resort.”

“With rainbows spanning the sky and Butterfree floating on lazy breezes and Ponyta frolicking in a meadow.”

“89, you really need to keep your demented fantasies to yourself. It helps us resist the urge to kill you.”

“Sorry.”

The landscape was a sorry sight indeed; nothing but gray dirt stretching out for miles in every direction. Not a living soul was in sight, with the exception of Dragonite and the small party he led. It truly did make the canyon look like a sunshine-filled beach resort with rainbows spanning the sky, Butterfree floating on lazy breezes, and Ponyta frolicking in a meadow filled with assorted species of colorful wildflowers.

“I still don’t get this sword,” Chimchar mused. “Even now, I feel its power coursing through my body.”

“It’s clearly a powerful weapon,” Dragonite pointed out. “We should keep it with us until we can find someone who can tell us about it.”

Piplup frowned. “But Slowbro said this was an overpowering weapon, a danger even to its own holder.”

“He could have lied,” 88 pointed out. “He is one of the bad guys, after all.”

Dragonite shook his head. “Slowbro may travel with Combusken, but he merely acts as a father looking out for his son. He is not loyal to Darkrai, nor will he openly oppose him, and I consider him a friend.”

“Too bad your friend couldn’t have told us a little more about the sword,” 88 muttered.

“When the time comes, we will know what we need to know, otherwise, the need to know it would not be needed or known,” 89 said.

Piplup raised an eyebrow. “And since when did you become so philosophical?”

89 shrugged. “Eh, I just figured I’d give it a shot. The wide open plain inspired me.”

“Good for you,” Chimchar said suddenly. “Now let it inspire you to run! We’ve got company!”

Dragonite squinted in the direction that Chimchar pointed, where a small group of figures was visible. The group was approaching quickly, their intention clear. Finally, he was able to recognize the outline of the lead figure.

“No need to worry,” Dragonite assured. “It’s just Scrafty and a couple of his goons. I’m pretty sure we can take them again.”

Sure enough, as they continued walking, the group moved into their path. Scrafty stood in the lead with a team of four Scraggy following closely behind him. “Well well well,” he smirked. “Look whos we gots here.”

“Do you need me to kick your butt again?” Dragonite said. “I’d be more than happy to.”

“Ho ho, so yous gonna put up a fight again, eh?” Scrafty scoffed. “Well, we’ll make ya regret that decision.” He turned to his companions. “Ain’t we, boys?”

“But, sir,” one of the Scraggy said. “Last time, they utterly murdered us. We didn’t stand a chance. Why should this time be different?”

Scrafty gave the smaller Pokemon a withering look, then back-hand slapped it across the face. “Keep it together! We gots us a score to settle. We gots vengeance on our side, so we can’t lose!”

“Bring it on!” Piplup said. “I was too busy fighting Combusken last time to get a shot at you guys, so I think it’s about time I had a turn.”

“Charge!” Scrafty roared. He ran forward with the Scraggy taking up positions on either side of him. Dragonite, Piplup, and Chimchar also charged, with 88 and 89 sitting behind and watching.

“Why, it appears that there is quite a party going on here, does it not?”

All of the combatants looked up at the sound of the voice. A quad of dark birds was circling above them, with a larger one in the center of them. Slowly, they descended to ground level.

“Well ain’t this a surprise,” Scrafty smirked. “Boys, wes been blessed with the presence of the Don himself.” He bowed dramatically.

“Who the heck is this guy?” Piplup asked.

“This is Honchkrow, and his Murkrow lackies,” Dragonite said. “While the Scraggy are Darkrai’s personal mafia, these guys serve Deoxys alone.” He smiled. “And they’re bitter rivals. This could get interesting.”

Honchkrow smiled as he landed across from Scrafty. “You must be even more of a fool than I had previously thought if you honestly think that you can put up a fight against enemies such as these.” He turned to face Dragonite. “I know better than to think that you will not put up a fight, but I will still ask you out of courtesy. Will you come with us, or must we take you by force?”

“You know the answer to that,” Dragonite said.

“As I thought,” Honchkrow said. He cast a glare in Scrafty’s direction. “Though I think this battle may be a three-way.”

“Yous can count on that!” Scrafty assured. “Wes’ll take out the entire lot of ya!”

The Murkrow swooped down at the Scraggy, cawing raucously. The two opposing parties swatted at each other briefly before retreating and regrouping. “This shall be a battle to be put in history books,” Honchkrow declared. “Now, men, let us strike a blow for Deoxys!”

“For Darkrai!” Scrafty called.

“For Narnia!” Chimchar added, drawing glares from everyone surrounding him.

The three parties began to circle each other wearily, waiting to see who would make the first strike. The Scraggy gritted their teeth and the Murkrow clicked their talons. Then, without warning, a spear of wood soared in an arc over their heads and plunged point-first into the ground in the center of their circle. Whirling around, they found themselves faced with what seemed to be a clown. That is, if clowns were hugely muscular and carried enormous concrete pillars in each hand.

“Wahaha!” the clown laughed. “We’ve got a smorgasbord here, boys!” A group of four smaller Pokemon carrying more wooden splinters stepped forward from behind him. They laughed squeakily.

“Conkeldurr?” Scrafty scowled. “I shoulda known you’d be here too.”

Piplup sighed. “I’m tired of all these introductions. Who’s this guy, another mafia leader?”

Dragonite shook his head. “No, Conkeldurr and the Timburr are something different entirely. These guys form something called the Republic.”

“The Republic?” Piplup frowned. “So they’re their own style of government?”

“They want to be, at least,” Dragonite explained. “They want to overthrow Darkrai and Deoxys, but only so that they can take control of the Beyond themselves. But between you and me, they don’t have much support. They don’t stand a chance in the war.”

88 gulped. “That won’t stop them from killing us now.”

“We won’t be letting anyone kill us,” Chimchar said, clutching the golden sword tightly. “Not without a fight, at least.”

Conkeldurr laughed once again. The Timburr tried to laugh in unison, but the sound came out as awkward. One of the Timburr began to choke until another slapped it on the back with its spear. “This is so fitting!” Conkeldurr continued. “The Chicken of the Beyond, the Don and his flock, and the rebel’s last hope, all in one place. It’s too perfect.”

“We’ll give you something to laugh about!” Chimchar replied.

“Yeah, what the monkey said!” Scrafty added.

Honchkrow smirked at the enraged Conkeldurr. “You guys have been losing this war since the beginning. Why do you keep fighting when you know that it is futile?”

Conkeldurr shrugged. “We have nothing to lose. No one who supports us, nothing to protect, nowhere to strive for. We can die alone, or we can die fighting. That’s my philosophy.”

“And an understandable one,” Dragonite admitted. “But we’re not here to be therapeutic. Let’s get this show on the road!”

“Un momento!”

All of the gathered Pokemon spun around as what sounded like Mariachi music broke out. Four Pokemon faced them. The first was a cactus-like Pokemon holding maracas. A Spanish guitar wielding insect was the second. The third in line was a rotund Pokemon with a trumpet. The final appeared to be a three-dimensional hieroglyph.

“Como estan, losers!” the cactus whooped.

“I’m beginning to notice a pattern here,” Piplup sighed.

88 looked up at Dragonite. “Who are these freaks?”

Dragonite shrugged. “I haven’t the faintest idea.”

The cactus continued his battle cry. “You have brought upon yourselves the wrath of the Channel 12 Spanish News team!” He threw his maracas aside. “Team, assemble!”

The cricket was first, flinging his guitar aside. “Kricketune, co-anchor.”

“Hariyama, sports,” said the round Pokemon as he smashed his trumpet into the ground.

“Sigilyph, weather,” the flying Pokemon introduced.

The leader hurled his maracas, which bounced harmlessly off of Conkeldurr’s chest. “Maractus, anchorman.”

“You have got to be kidding me,” Piplup said, smacking his forehead.

Honchkrow smirked. "I guess this will be a bilingual blood-fest."

“It makes sense,” 89 said. “How else are the Spanish-speaking Pokemon of the Beyond supposed to receive their breaking news?”

Piplup began to protest, but stopped himself and sighed. “Whatever. Let’s just get this over with.”

The five groups backed away and formed a circle. Their eyes darted back and forth between the others, taking in their opponents. Dragonite stepped into the center of the ring.

“Now, let’s lay down the rules,” he announced. “There will be no biting. No scratching. No road-raging, no hits below the belt, no destruction of personal property. Also, there will be no screaming, lollygagging, crying, or use of weapons of mass destruction.” He paused. “Am I forgetting anything?”

“No touching of the face,” Maractus added.

Kricketune nodded in agreement. “That’s our money-maker.”

“Fine,” Dragonite agreed. “Now, let’s get ready to rumble!”

No one moved.

Piplup and Chimchar looked at each other questioningly, then turned to Dragonite. “What’s going on?”

“They’re plotting,” Dragonite said. “Whoever makes the first move is the most open to attack. Nobody here wants to be that person.”

The Murkrow flapped their wings irritably. The Timburr banged their spears together. Kricketune picked up his guitar and played a few notes.

The Scraggy looked back and forth, then turned to Scrafty, who was smiling. “Just wait, boys,” he said. “We’ve got this under control.”

“But sir,” one of the braver Scraggy spoke up. “Speaking in terms of type, we are at a horrible disadvantage. Honchkrow and the Murkrow, Conkeldurr and the Timburr, Dragonite, Kricketune, Hariyama, and Sigilyph all have advantages over us. The only ones we can strike against without concern are the two dome-headed idiotic-looking ones.”

“And that is exactly what we will do,” Scrafty answered. He pointed at 88 and 89. The two were fidgeting like they hadn’t visited a bathroom in a week. “They can’t hold out much longer. Soon, they’ll be too impatient and we’ll charge. Then, we strike.”

The Scraggy applauded quietly. “A brilliant plan, sir.”

“A true stroke of genius.”

“I want some peanuts.”

Scrafty back-hand slapped the last Scraggy. “Now, are there any other questions?”

“Nope, I’m ready!” one Scraggy whooped. “Let’s do this!” Without warning, he turned around and charged, screaming like a maniac. “LEROOOOOOY JEEEEEEENKIIIINS!!!

The four opposing parties fell on him like a ton of bricks.

Scrafty and the other Scraggy stood staring for a moment in stunned silence. Then they too leapt into the growing battle.

Piplup lashed out with his Brick Break and was pleased to strike a Scraggy through the mass chaos. Next to him, Chimchar simultaneously roasted two Murkrow with a Flamethrower. The two moved towards each other and stood back to back, releasing a continuous stream of Hydro Pump and Flamethrower. Sigilyph swooped down suddenly from above them, firing a Psybeam. They dove aside, only to find themselves standing before the massive figure of Hariyama. Sigilyph floated down behind them, pinning them.

“Now what?” Chimchar inquired.

“I’m going with Plan of Action Kappa-J6.”

“If it suits you. I’m personally a fan of Delta-T9.”

“Chimchar, we’ve done that twice in this series. I’m sure we’ll get another chance before the end.”

“Fine.”

Piplup spun to face Sigilyph and jumped. The Avianoid Pokemon charged to meet him with Sky Attack. At the same time, Hariyama lunged at Chimchar with Arm Thrust. Piplup spun sideways to dodge the attack, then bounced off of Sigilyph. She fell off balance towards the ground. Chimchar ducked beneath Hariyama’s punch and struck with Low Kick. The larger Pokemon stumbled forward, then fell. . . directly into Sigilyph’s redirected Sky Attack. The two slumped unconscious on top of each other.

Piplup and Chimchar high-fived. “Told you this was the best.”

“Eh, I still think that Delta-T9 would have worked.”

“Would you let it go already? Geez!”

Meanwhile, 88 and 89 ran screaming from the raging Conkeldurr. They weaved back and forth, dodging each blow from the concrete pillars. They spotted Dragonite and made a break for him, but they were cut off by the dueling duo of Scrafty and Honchkrow. They spun back to Conkeldurr, who smiled wickedly. “End of the line, Chowderheads!”

Then, there was an explosion of springs and something smashed into Conkeldurr’s head. He stood still for a moment, then fell forward. The ground quaked briefly as his head hit the ground mere inches in front of 88 and 89. Behind the fallen figure stood Kricketune, the wreckage of his guitar-turned-club in his hand.

“Gracias!” 89 called.

“De nada,” Kricketune replied. “And this means nothing. I still kill you.”

89 paled. “Que?”

Kricketune took a step towards them, only to be beaten aside by Dragonite. “Do I have to do everything for you two?”

88 shrugged. “It certainly helps.”

“To be honest, our success rate isn’t very high,” 89 admitted. He stuck his hand out to Dragonite, who accepted the object offered. It was a business card, reading “88 and 89: Failing at Faith, Life, Love, and Everything Else Since 2009”.

Maractus came from nowhere, wrapping his barbed hands around Dragonite’s throat. “Nobody move!” he spat. “You move, and I slit his throat.”

“Easy, amigo,” 89 said. “We’re all friends here!”

“There’s no need for this kind of violence,” 88 added. “You just need to learn to handle your own defeat. You’re vastly outnumbered, after all.”

Maractus smirked. “Where I come from, we don’t cope with defeat. We just kill who we can before we die ourselves.”

“But if you kill Dragonite,” 89 pleaded. “You’ll never know where the treasure is buried.”

“The treasure?” Maractus frowned.

“Yes,” 89 nodded. “The treasure of Ima Weiner.”

Maractus paused. “Ima Weiner?”

88 and 89 both burst into uproarious laughter. “Classic!” the Shieldon congratulated, high-fiving his partner.

Maractus shrugged. “Always leave them laughing.” He began to tighten his grip on Dragonite’s throat.

He was stopped by a Brick Break to the back of the head.

Piplup stood over the unconscious cactus. He helped Dragonite to his feet and smiled.

“Thanks for that,” Dragonite said. “I guess we’re even now.”

Without a word, Piplup jumped into the raging crowd once again. 88 moved to follow him. “Piplup, where are you going?”

“Uh, I’m right here.”

Turning around, he found Piplup and Chimchar standing together behind him. 88, 89, and Dragonite exchanged confused glances. “But we just saw you go off into the crowd,” 89 said.

“Right after you saved me from Maractus,” Dragonite added.

Piplup frowned in confusion. “It wasn’t me.” He looked into the chaotic throng, searching for a sign of himself. There! Just past the fighting group of Scraggy and Murkrow, he spotted another Piplup. For a split second, the image became that of a tall, dark figure. It winked at Piplup, then disappeared once again. “Zoroark,” he breathed.

“Piplup!”

Dragonite’s cry brought him back to attention. “Yeah?”

Dragonite looked around briefly. “Let’s blow this popsicle stand. There’s nothing for us here, and the guys who are still conscious are too busy fighting with themselves to even pay attention to us. We can get back on the road and save the time it would take finishing off these guys.”

“Yeah, alright,” Piplup nodded. He turned to look for an opening, but couldn’t see one. Instead, he made his own by blasting away the group of Timburr with his Hydro Pump. “This way!”

The five were gone before anyone else could notice. They ran across the plain, Dragonite leading the way. The Chowderheads were in the rear, breathing heavily and attempting not to fall on their faces, with little success. On the edge of the brawling ground, Zoroark stood, watching them go. Then, he too left the fight behind.

Almost an hour later, the mafia bosses fell to their knees, utterly exhausted. “Oy,” Scrafty moaned. “I ain’t had a workout like dis one in years.”

“I am feeling the same way,” Honchkrow admitted. “This has been quite a day. I vote we take a break.”

“Agreed,” Scrafty nodded. He looked around the carnage of the battlefield. Conkeldurr, the Timburr, and the Channel 12 Spanish News Team were all still unconscious. But where were. . .

“Where are the rebels?” Honchkrow said, voicing Scrafty’s sudden realization.

“Those boobs got away!” Scrafty roared.

Honchkrow put a wing to his face. “This is not good. Master Deoxys is not particularly forgiving.”

Scrafty huffed furiously. “I can tell ya he ain’t possibly worse than Darkrai. He’ll have my hide! Well, the part I han’t shed yet. . .”

“This is all your fault!” Honchkrow growled.

“My fault?” Scrafty scowled indignantly. “If you han’t showed up when ya did, me and da boys woulda had dis wrapped up by now!”

“You honestly believe that?” Honchkrow scoffed. “You couldn’t wrap up a Christmas present!”

“Why I oughta!”

“Bring it on!”

Then, the fighting resumed once again.

“Yo, Hitmontop!”

“Over here!”

“What ya got?”

“I was just getting ready to come find you. What do you need?”

Shiftry scratched his chin as he looked over the contents of the Kecleon Shop. “Well, I could use a few Oran Berries. Maybe a couple Big Apples, for the longer expeditions. And um. . .What do you think, Cacnea?”

The smaller Pokemon stretched up as high as he could in an attempt to see the shelf. “I’d like a Power Band, if it’s not too expensive.”

“Not at all!” Shiftry said. “I’ve got a pretty big budget, you can get whatever you like.” He turned to the green Kecleon brother. “I believe you heard what we want.”

“Of course,” he nodded. “I’ve got it all bagged up for you. That’ll be –“

He was cut off as Shiftry lay down a 1,000 Poke piece on the table. “Please, keep the change.” Shiftry grabbed the bag and strode away, with Hitmontop and Cacnea flanking him.

“Oh, thank you, Shiftry!” the green Kecleon called.

“This is too much, really!” the purple brother added. “Thank you, truly!”

Shiftry turned back and waved. “No, it’s not problem at all! You deserve such a reward!” He turned back just in time to see Grovyle as the two ran into each other.

“Oops!” Grovyle yelped, falling over backwards. Shiftry’s bag fell at his feet and its contents spilled on the ground.

“I am so sorry,” Shiftry apologized. “I really need to pay attention to where I’m walking.”

Grovyle smiled as he helped pick up the fallen items. “It’s fine. I can be somewhat of a space-case myself.”

“You’re Grovyle, right?” Shiftry said, rising to his feet once again.

“Yep, that’s me,” Grovyle said.

Shiftry nodded. “I knew it. I never forget a face.”

“So how have things in Treasure Town been treating you?” Grovyle inquired.

“Very well,” Shiftry said. “The townspeople here are so nice and polite. I’ve felt right at home ever since I got here.”

Grovyle grinned. “That’s Treasure Town for you. I’m glad you’re happy here.” He paused. “By the way, how has your investigation been going?”

“There’s nothing yet, I’m afraid,” Shiftry said. “But I’ve got a few Sandshrew on the job right now searching for information.”

“And Pawniard as well?” Grovyle asked, noting that only Hitmontop and Cacnea were present with their leader.

For a moment, Shiftry seemed surprised, but he quickly recovered. “Ah, yes. He’s out working right now too. He’s one of my finest employees.”

“Well, we’re just lucky to have you around to aid us in this time of need,” Grovyle said.

Shiftry smiled, and for a moment, Grovyle thought he detected a hint of amusement in his yellow eyes. “Yes. You’re lucky indeed.”

Bidoof whistled to himself as he strode through the lush Oran Forest. Today’s mission to find a lost Pecha Scarf seemed easy enough, even if it wasn’t the most exciting. But sometimes, he needed to go along at a more relaxed pace.

But this wouldn’t be a relaxed mission. In the trees behind him, a dark figure lurked.

Hope you all enjoy it! Sorry that I'm not sending out PMs tonight or editing the Character/Attack lists, but I'm having a pretty bad storm right now and want to get my laptop shut down before the power goes out.

Next Time: Piplup and the gang are attacked by a trio of mystery assailants while traveling, and they meet up with a team of freedom fighters from the Resistance. Meanwhile, Combusken and Slowbro continue to trail them, and Darkrai's master plan begins to fall into place. . .
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 20th June 2011 at 9:10 PM.

Author's Profile

Heh, Leeroy Jenkins messing evrything up. I know how that feels.
    *does a double take*
    *dies of a heart attack*

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

Oh no watch out Bidoof! Sigh if only he could hear me . Funny chapter by the way. I spotted the Simpsons movie reference too. lol

Name: Drainer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Awesome chapter. The fighting was very great. I'm beginning to think that Grovyle is starting to think that Shiftry is a bad guy. I sure hope Bidoof will be OK. He is probably getting attacked by Pawniard.

It seems like a mix of a coincidence and a non-coincidence that Chimchar holds the sword of his fully evolved form and that Infernape was the King of the Beyond and that he looks like a king. I can see Chimchar being his descendant. I can't wait to finally meet the Resistance.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    It seems like a mix of a coincidence and a non-coincidence that Chimchar holds the sword of his fully evolved form and that Infernape was the King of the Beyond and that he looks like a king. I can see Chimchar being his descendant. I can't wait to finally meet the Resistance.
    You're right, it's a little of both. Chimchar isn't a descendant of Infernape, but he is meant to be seen as a parallel to the former king.

Author's Profile

funny actiony thats all i want in a fic so u rock dude. also will you ever use the dimensional scream?
    PASBL stats
    FB stats
    Virtuadopt clicks

Interested in the PASBL (Pokemon Anime Style Battle League)? Read our Getting Started thread! Got a question? Go to our Q/A thread.

Anyone may ref for me

Quote Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
    funny actiony thats all i want in a fic so u rock dude. also will you ever use the dimensional scream?
    I can think of one future instance in which I may use the Dimensional Scream, but I may not. I've been considering it lately.

Author's Profile

As hard as I searched, I could not find any grammatical errors so that is good. Judging from the hints about how this trilogy is going to end, I have a feeling that a major character from the good side is going to die, but I may be wrong. Time will tell. Two things that I am looking forward to are as follows: (1) the intentions of Shiftry and his gang (obviously up to no good) and (2) Darkrai's "master plan." As history tells, he has never had a well thought out plan; however, the way this is being narrated, he may know a thing or two about strategy after all. Can't wait for more chapters.

----SS
    credits for pic and banner: Avenger Angel and Brutaka

I have claimed Sceptile

Destiny's Forge: click sig.
    ARD: UNDER REVISIONAL HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

Also read Essense of Law.

OK. I started reading late last night in short bursts. I just finished reading, and I must say, although your writing is quite entertaining, the reference to GoG put me off a bit, since it is even more kid-oriented than most of your other parallels here. Overall, I really enjoy your story, and as a big Mystery Dungeon fan (only games to ever make me cry...) I'm glad to see someone capture the characters while adding humor well. Keep up the good work.

Also: Kinda pissed that there will be no Katara of Toph characters. They were funny characters, and Avatar: The Last Airbender was a series for all ages. (Seriously, I know late teenagers who loved that series a mere year and a half ago.)
    Last edited by ChaosMudkip; 23rd June 2011 at 4:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMudkip View Post
    Also: Kind pissed that there will be no Katara of Toph characters. They were funny characters, and Avatar: The Last Airbender was a series for all ages. (Seriously, I know late teenagers who loved that series a mere year and a half ago.)
    I love the Avatar series and would love to include more spoofed characters (I'd personally love to include a "meat and sarcasm" character), but as this is an original series, I don't want to draw too many parallels. I felt that even adding Combusken, Slowbro, Gothitelle, Mismagius, and Froslass in their respective roles might have been pushing it.

Author's Profile

It's not pushing it, and I'm not suggesting adding more. I'm thrilled that you have a Zuko in this story, as well as an epic Iro. By the way, Slowbro is especially fitting; he can use TM Flamethrower and TM Fire Blast!

This Book is essentially a follow up of what happened in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, now with 5th gen Pokemon like Scraggy. And of course some references to other media, especially Star Wars, what with the concept of "Republic" versus "Rebellion". How ironic that it's essentially Piplup and Chimchar that would need saved. What with all those combination attacks they were capable of, like Fire Spin -> Whirlpool -> Blizzard (aka "delta t9") or Endeavor and Bide (aka "omega q3") and now these new combos, so they could probably make it through in the very end. About the news team, I would like to see Kricketune and even Maractus in action. I would flip if Kricketune helps in the final battle against Darkrai and Deoxys, what with a powerful X-scissor coming their way! Good luck in finishing this Book!
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

@ChaosMudkip - That was why I picked Slowbro to be my Iroh character. The personality and physicality are both perfect, plus he can use Flamethrower and Fire Blast. It just seemed to be perfect.

And now, here's another!

Chapter 14
    The Warrior Maiden

The field of the battle was far out of sight when Piplup finally stopped running. He looked first to Chimchar, then 88 and 89, and then they all started laughing.

“I haven’t had this much fun in a long time,” Piplup said through his giggles.

“I’ll say!” Chimchar agreed. “I don’t remember laughing so hard since we beat up the Chowderheads.” He paused. “No offense.”

88 shrugged. “None taken.”

“It’s fine,” 89 said. “I’ll admit, it was even a little fun getting beat up.”

Dragonite smiled as he watched the exchange. “I never expected to say this, but I have nothing but respect for you guys.”

“Yeah, I get that a lot,” 89 nodded, smiling.

Piplup ignored him. “What makes you say that?”

“Look at yourselves,” Dragonite said. “Here you are in what is without debate the most depressing place in the universe, yet you continue to have fun with whatever you do.”

“What’s an adventure without a few laughs?” Chimchar said plainly.

Piplup nodded. “Fighting for our lives is hardly worth it if we can’t get some entertainment out of it.”

Dragonite paused to contemplate the statements. “I can understand that. Perhaps I need to look at life more like that sometimes.” He rose to his feet and began striding purposefully across the plains once again. “But there will be time for that later. We’re getting ever closer to the Resistance HQ. The sooner we get there, the better.”

“Sounds fine,” Chimchar said. “So long as we can play some rejuvenating travel games.”

“Like what?” Dragonite asked warily.

Chimchar shrugged. “I’m a fan of I Spy.”

“I’ve heard worse propositions,” Piplup said.

88 nodded. “You haven’t heard anything. You never spent any time in the army.”

Piplup glared at the Shieldon. “You honestly call your experience in the Core being in an army? You never had a battle in your life, and if you ever did, you weren’t trained in the slightest.”

“You say tomato, I say Tamato.”

“Uh, what’s a tomato?”

“I. . .I have no idea. It just sounded right.”

“STOP IT!” 89 wailed. “CAN’T YOU SEE THIS SENSELESS FIGHTING IS TEARING US ALL APART?”

Piplup and 88 stared at him in bewilderment while Dragonite merely slapped his forehead. Chimchar ignored him entirely.

“Okay. I spy with my little eye something. . .gray. It’s gray, and round, and-“

“Let me guess,” Piplup interjected. “It’s a rock.”

Chimchar gasped. “You’re right. Okay, my turn again. It’s, uh, gray, and round-“

“It’s another rock.”

“Ooh, you’re good. Okay, this time, it’s round, and, uh, gray, and it’s a little rough around the edges-“

“It’s a rock. And the next one, just a guess: a rock.”

“Okay, you’re creeping me out now. You can have a turn now.”

“Alright. I spy with my little eye something. . .gray. And, uh, round.”

“It’s 89, isn’t it?”

“No, it’s not 89, you idiot!”

“Oh. Then it must be Dragonite.”

“No, it’s – okay, you were right the first time.”

“I knew it!”

“Hey, did you describe me as round?”

“No, 89. Go back to being silent. It’s better for everyone that way.”

“Uh, guys, I think it’s my turn.”

“Okay, 88, go for it.”

“I spy with my little eye something dark, shadowy, and coming straight for us!”

“Oh, why that must be – DEAR ARCEUS, WHAT IS THAT?!?”

Piplup and Chimchar fell sideways just in time to avoid an incoming ball of green energy. It was closely followed by a charging figure with a long neck, which had seemingly appeared from thin air. It trampled across 88 and 89, knocking them aside. Then it lashed out with vines, catching Dragonite’s arm. He yanked hard on the vine, but his opponent was equally strong and they reached a stalemate.

Piplup pulled Chimchar to his feet. “Come on, we’ve got to help Dragonite!”

“No!” Dragonite ordered. “I know what’s coming! You must watch the skies!”

“The skies. . .?” Piplup’s eyes trailed upward just in time to see a jet of flame spewing down towards him. He quickly countered it with a Hydro Pump and watched as a large reptilian form wheeled away, only to return a moment later. Its tail glowed a bright orange against the dark sky.

Dragonite’s assailant was distracted momentarily by Piplup’s retaliation against the aerial fighter, and in that instant, its grip loosened. Dragonite yanked his hand free and immediately took off in flight, rapidly closing in on the circling dragon. The two locked claws and spun through the air while Piplup and Chimchar focused on the quadrupedal attacker.

“Who the heck are you?” Chimchar asked. The attacker responded by firing another Energy Ball at him. He nimbly jumped over it and unleashed a powerful Flamethrower. The dinosaur-like creature stumbled back, the mane around its neck burning.

A split second later, a storm of bubbles extinguished the fire. The Pokemon itself was unharmed.

Piplup and Chimchar looked back and forth in confusion. “Now what?”

“It’s the final strike!” Dragonite called. He grunted in pain as his own opponent smacked him in the stomach. “They’re ready to end it!”

Piplup looked back and forth. “But where will the final strike come from?”

His question was answered as 88 and 89 suddenly gave out screams of terror and sailed over his head, landing in a heap. He spun around in time to catch a quick glimpse of a sleek shape sprinting by him. It appeared to be wielding blades, although they could have just as easily been its arms. “Piplup!” Chimchar called desperately as he fended off another Vine Whip. “It’s circling you! Watch out!”

“What do you think I’m doing?” Piplup growled. He saw the figure flash by again. He waited for a moment and spotted it again. “One more time,” he muttered. Then, when the movement flashed again, he struck with Brick Break.

He hit nothing but air.

The shadow seemed to bend around his attack and lurch forward. In the next instant, he was slammed hard in the chest and knocked onto his back. He attempted to rise, but he felt the cold chill of steel against his throat, pinning him again. He gulped and looked up at his assailant. He gasped as he found himself looking into the face of. . .

The most beautiful Pokemon he’d ever seen. Her figure was sleek and blue, and her beak stretched up over her head into queenly crests. He stared into her eyes and saw tales that no voice could ever tell. They were wide, deep, and blue, like tiny oceans. Those glorious eyes held great wisdom, and perhaps great tragedy as well. There was something about those eyes that he just couldn’t read. . .and that was what captivated Piplup the most.

“Any last words, runt?” she asked. Her voice was suave and collected, and it flowed like a river through Piplup’s ears. He sighed, smiling slightly.

“Ma’am, before you kill me, I’d just like to say that you look absolutely dazzling.”

She blinked and was silent for a moment. Then, she began laughing uproariously. She withdrew her hand and Piplup sat up, gasping for breath. It took him a moment to realize that the other attackers were laughing too. And not just them, but Dragonite as well.

“Ha ha, you sure picked a keeper, Dragonite,” the blue Pokemon said.

“I’ll say,” the flame-tailed reptile said, lighting down near his allies. “He even managed to hold off my greatest display of firepower.”

The quadrupedal green Pokemon stepped forward. “And the fiery one isn’t bad either. I would’ve been in trouble if you hadn’t stepped in when you did.”

“It was nothing,” the blue Pokemon said. She reached down and pulled Piplup to his feet. “Here, sport, let me give you a hand.”

“Th-thanks,” Piplup stuttered.

88 rose shakily to his feet. “Well, I’m glad this has all turned out well. Now would somebody please explain to me what’s going on here?”

“Allow me,” Dragonite said. “These three are good friends of mine. They are-“

“Let me say it!” the blue Pokemon interjected.

“Fine,” Dragonite sighed. “You always did tend toward the dramatic.”

The penguin laughed, then whistled sharply. “Team Liberty! Assemble!”

The flower-necked dinosaur stepped forward first. “Meganium, here! May the Beyond bloom with freedom!”

“Charizard, here!” the dragon announced. “We shall soar through a Beyond as free as the skies!”

Finally, the leader struck a pose between her allies. “Prinplup, here! Let the rivers of justice flow once again!”

“We are Team Liberty!” they proclaimed as one. “Give us liberty, or give us death!”

“Eh, I’ll pass on the liberty,” 89 said. “And I certainly don’t want any death. I’ll take some cake. Do we have cake? I want cake.”

Dragonite ignored him. “These three are the greatest freedom fighters in the Beyond. They’ve been fueling the fire of the Resistance for years.”

“Okay, so you’re good guys,” Chimchar said. “Then why did you ambush us?”

“We were testing you,” Prinplup said. “After all, you’ll be no good to us if you can’t even fend off a simple trap like this.”

Meganium smiled. “And I believe that you passed.”

“Though not with flying colors,” Prinplup added. “You could use some work.”

Chimchar scoffed. “We’ve been doing plenty of training on our own, thanks.”

“Let’s be honest,” Piplup cut in. “We’ve been doing plenty of running and hiding. Training, not so much.”

“But on to business,” Dragonite said. “What are you three doing clear out here?”

“Looking for you, of course,” Prinplup said. “Absol sent us out to meet you after Noctowl and Magby got to HQ.”

“So they’re okay?” Piplup said. “That’s a relief. At the time. . .well. . .”

Charizard smiled comfortingly. “Noctowl’s a tough old bird, he won’t be killed easily. And he brought Magby in safely as well.” He paused and hung his head mournfully. “But it’s a shame about Excadrill.”

“Yes, I’d nearly forgotten,” Prinplup said. She put her hand on Dragonite’s shoulder. “I’m truly sorry for the loss. I know that you were closer to him than most.”

“That’s true,” Dragonite nodded. “He opened his heart to me further than he ever did to most, although it certainly took some getting to know him.” He smiled, but it was obviously pained. “It’s funny. I was one of the few people he trusted, and yet I’m the one who brought down the trouble upon him that caused his downfall.”

Meganium wiped back a tear with a vine. “Don’t think of it that way, Dragonite,” she said. “You know full well that Excadrill was willing to fight and die to look out for you.” She turned to Piplup and Chimchar. “And more importantly, for them.”

“I’ve really been getting the feeling lately that people think we’re important,” Piplup said.

“You are, more important than you could possibly imagine,” Prinplup said. Piplup unconsciously blushed at her statement. “You are our final hope.”

Charizard nodded. “There is little else we at the Resistance can do to fight. We can hold our own, but we won’t be able to fight forever. We’re outnumbered and outclassed, which is a bad place to be in.”

“Darkrai and Deoxys have been tightening the noose for years,” Meganium said. “It’s only a matter of time before they find a crucial weakness.”

“That’s why we need you two,” Prinplup said. “Piplup and Chimchar, you are the heroes of legend. One with the aura of silver, one with the power of gold. You have faced Darkrai before, and you are the only two to have defeated him in combat.”

“The aura of silver. . .” Piplup murmured, forming a glove of auric energy over his hand.

“. . .And the power of gold,” Chimchar finished, drawing the sword from its scabbard on his back.

Prinplup nodded at both in turn. “The prophecies of old are coming to fruition. The heroes have been summoned into the Beyond in its hour of need. The jailer leads his prisoners and the forge has claimed its smith. Now, the heroes must lead those who oppose darkness in their final charge, and they must destroy the Shadow King.”

“The Shadow King?” Piplup frowned. “That’s. . .Darkrai.”

“Correct,” Prinplup said. “It is prophesized that the final confrontation will be a rage of gold and silver, and that the shadows will turn on their master. Just what that means, I have no clue, but it all leads to Darkrai’s destruction. That is what we must fight for.”

Piplup clenched his fists determinedly. “Count me in.”

“Like our decision hadn’t been made already,” Chimchar said.

“Then we continue on,” Dragonite declared. “To the Resistance.” He turned to Prinplup. “Shall you accompany us?”

Prinplup smiled. “Why else would we be here? We’re your guides.”

“It’s not like we can expect you to take care of yourself, after all,” Charizard said, earning laughs from his teammates.

“Ha ha, very funny,” Dragonite smirked. “Now let’s get this show on the road.”

“There they are. So close, yet so far.”

Combusken scowled as he peered out from behind the rock where he crouched. Slowbro sat beside him, yawning continuously. “What is it now?”

“They’ve been joined by three others,” Combusken reported. “Freedom fighters.”

“Team Liberty,” Slowbro identified. “They’re famous.”

Combusken frowned. “Really? I’ve never heard of them.” He squinted at the figures. “Who’s the green one with the flower?”

“That’s Meganium,” Slowbro said. “She’s renowned as a healer and herbalist, though she’s certainly a force to be reckoned with in battle as well.”

“What about the flying one, the dragon?” Combusken asked.

“Charizard,” Slowbro continued. “He used to be a scrapper who traveled the Beyond picking fights for money. The Resistance men found him and convinced him to fight for their cause, rather than for fame and fortune. He’s a very honorable Pokemon.”

Combusken scratched his head contemplatively. “And who’s the other one?”

Slowbro closed his eyes and lay back against the boulder. “It could not possibly be any other than the lovely Prinplup.”

“Prinplup?” Combusken said. “Is she related to Piplup?”

“As a species, yes,” Slowbro said. “Prinplup is the evolved form of Piplup. She’s not directly related to the Piplup you know, however.” He smiled. “No, this Prinplup is something far different indeed. She is known as the Warrior Maid for her fighting skills.”

Combusken frowned. “Fighting skills are impressive, but surely there is more to her than that.”

“There is,” Slowbro nodded. “Rumor has it that she was once a direct consultant to Darkrai himself, but that she betrayed him and some of his greatest secrets to the Resistance.”

Combusken’s eyes grew wide. “Well, that would certainly earn her position.”

“Yes, she runs deep, I can tell you that.” Slowbro yawned again. “So what do we do now?”

“The same thing we’ve been doing,” Combusken said, rising to his feet. “Freedom fighters or not, we’re still following Piplup.” He grimaced in determination. “He will be mine yet.”

“He will be mine yet.”

The three figures raced across the plains, following the footprints of Piplup’s posse. Froslass and Mismagius exchanged worried glances. They had never seen Gothitelle in such a state before, and it was somewhat disturbing. She rarely lost her cool, yet now she seemed on the brink of berserker fury.

“Gothitelle, maybe we should take a break,” Froslass suggested. “You could probably use some rest.”

“No!” Gothitelle snapped. “Piplup escaped me once, and he shall not do it again. No one has ever escaped from me before, and I’m not about to let that record go.” She glared at her companions. “And anyone who objects can join Excadrill.”

“Whatever,” Mismagius sighed. “Let’s just keep moving.”

As they sped across the rocky ground, Gothitelle caught sight of two figures loping towards the horizon. She immediately recognized Slowbro and her brother. “Well now,” she said to herself. “This is certainly about to get more interesting. . .”

“This is certainly about to get more interesting.”

The fire crackled and the shadows flickered on the wall in Darkrai’s study. Laid out before him was an enormous flat table, marked like a chess board. Multiple makeshift figures sat on it. Most notable were those of a penguin, a monkey, a rooster, a taller penguin, and a reaper. He reached forward and shoved the figures of Piplup, Chimchar, and Prinplup together, then moved the Combusken figure closely behind them. He then moved the figure of himself to directly intercept them.

“The prophecy claims that the aura of silver and power of gold will be my downfall,” Darkrai smirked. “But there are more prophecies than just that. Just as there are prophecies of hope, there are prophecies of doom.” He drew Umbra from its sheath and watched the firelight gleam off of its coal-black surface. “The Silver Aura. The Golden Flame. The Exiled Prince. The Warrior Maiden. The Shadow King. When all five are gathered, the seal shall be broken.” With a single movement, he plunged Umbra point first into the center of the table. For a moment, nothing happened. Then, the board cracked and split into five equal pieces.

Darkrai laughed as he re-sheathed Umbra and turned to leave. “And then chaos shall descend once again.”

Hope you all like it! Sorry if this chapter is a little boring. The next two are where the action heats up again. And sorry that I'm not sending out PMs right now, but I'm tired and am heading straight to bed.

Next Time: The forces of good and evil clash as Piplup and his friends, Combusken, and Gothitelle all meet up at an ancient battleground. With the prophesied five in place, can Darkrai put his new plan to fruition?
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 25th November 2012 at 2:07 AM.

Author's Profile

Pretty good chapter. I like that we are meeting Team Liberty too. The ancient battleground sounds interesting. It looks like we will see Darkrai enter the fray for once. I don't think we saw Deoxys here though.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Hmm this chapter was pretty cool! I look foward too seeing Piplup and Prinplup interact more in the story I don't know why but I want to see Team Liberty fight Gothitelle, Froslass and Mismagius.

I personally don't want Team Liberty to fight Gothitelle and co., since it means that someone from Team Liberty will die, since that always happens in stories.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMudkip View Post
    I personally don't want Team Liberty to fight Gothitelle and co., since it means that someone from Team Liberty will die, since that always happens in stories.
    Why does it mean that? Look at Avatar, when the Kyoshi warriors fought Azula and Co. They didn't die. But I will reveal that you're worrying over nothing as Team Liberty and Gothitelle's gang won't fight each other solo.

Author's Profile

Piplup's got a crush! lol So cute! Good chapter can't wait for the next one.

Name: Drainer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Chaos... Could that be GIratina? I wonder...

Chaos probably does refer to Giratina.

Also, Gallade, I read an unhealthy amount, and it seems in every story, the great new ally that everyone knows to be strong dies at the hands of the baddies because they go one on one against them. It happens in about 2/3 of stories where you have a reasonable scenario for it to occur.

i can tell you have been reading the nicholas flamel books good chappie cant wait to see how it all plays out
    PASBL stats
    FB stats
    Virtuadopt clicks

Interested in the PASBL (Pokemon Anime Style Battle League)? Read our Getting Started thread! Got a question? Go to our Q/A thread.

Anyone may ref for me

Sorry for once again skipping a chapter! (for reviewing, not reading)

Anyway, your most recent one was very good! I like Team Liberty, and I could totally see them fight Gothitelle & Co. alongside Piplup and Co. since you said they wouldn't fight them solo.

Can't wait for the next chapter, and I'll start reviewing more!

By the way, this basically sums up the whole DoD series, GalladeRocks:
    Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post
    “What’s an adventure without a few laughs?” Chimchar said plainly.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:

Spoiler:- Claimed Anime Songs/Anime List:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow XD001 View Post
    By the way, this basically sums up the whole DoD series, GalladeRocks:
    Yeah, that really is my entire point in writing the DoD series. I wasn't thinking about it that much at the time, but that's a good slogan for the entire series. Thanks for pointing that out!

Author's Profile

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast