Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dimensions of Darkness Book 3: The Explorers of the Beyond

Yay, you're back!! Anyway, like the above posters said, this chapter did seem very rushed, and I was surprised at how small it seemed, too. Too bad it couldn't have been longer, after we had to wait along time for this chapter to be posted.

I do think it's funny how you based Combusken and Slowbro off of Zuko and Iroh. I'm guessing Darkrai would be the Fire Lord, but who would Golduck be then?

Still don't know what the black shadowy figure is, but is a Legendary/Fifth Generation Pokemon?

Keep up the great work and I hope Chapter 4 is better, and more importantly longer! (which I guess would make it better....)
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow XD001 View Post
    Yay, you're back!! Anyway, like the above posters said, this chapter did seem very rushed, and I was surprised at how small it seemed, too. Too bad it couldn't have been longer, after we had to wait along time for this chapter to be posted.

I do think it's funny how you based Combusken and Slowbro off of Zuko and Iroh. I'm guessing Darkrai would be the Fire Lord, but who would Golduck be then?

Still don't know what the black shadowy figure is, but is a Legendary/Fifth Generation Pokemon?

Keep up the great work and I hope Chapter 4 is better, and more importantly longer! (which I guess would make it better....)
    Golduck would probably be a royal servant.

Chapter 4 probably would be longer because of all the battling that will probably take place.

EDIT: I find it fine that this chapter might have been a little bit on the short side. It introduced two new characters and is to get us ready for a probably big fight in the next chapter.
    Last edited by Torpoleon; 27th September 2010 at 1:05 AM.
        Spoiler:- My Pokémon Teams & Video Game Identities:

Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

This chapter was a pretty good introdution chapter for the characters based off of Zuko and Iroh. Kinda dissapointed i couldn't be the first to point that out though. On a semi-related note, may I be on the pm list?

Sorry for the late reply. I was too... em... busy with schoolwork, and deviantart, and since Sppf's getting boring lately...

But still, it was a nice chapter. But why Zuko and Iroh out of all characters? And Iroh must be a Slowbro because of his... well... relaxed personality.

I can't wait for the next Chapter! I bet 5 cents that the mysterious Pokemon is... well... something that I shouldn't tell.

3DS FC: 3926-5714-3675 | Y IGN: Tempus

DeviantArt~Casual Battlers Club

I swear, the breaks get worse every single time. I apologize for the extreme wait, yet again, and I'm sure you're getting sick of my apologies by this point. But hey, it's all I've got. I'll make sure to make this chapter be worth the wait! And now, let the ultimate smackdown begin!

Chapter 4
    Some Pleasant Surprises

The blackness. Nothing was harder to take in than the blackness.

Piplup found himself shivering, although he was far from cold. The air was unnervingly still, which Dragonite had explained was due to the dimension's lack of atmosphere. How there was gravity, he could not explain, but Piplup was hardly of a state of mind to be curious. The shock of the landscape had rendered him speechless.

The canyon that the party was traversing was more than intimidating. The towering walls of stone gave the impression of a prison, causing Piplup to cringe. Prison was the last thing he wanted to be thinking about now.

"This place looks like a prison," Chimchar said.

Piplup sighed.

"Don't worry, we're safe here," Dragonite assured. "If anybody comes after us, they'll be coming from behind. We'll be able to see them coming, and that's even assuming that they are able to catch up to us." He paused, a slight frown crossing his face. Piplup didn't like it.

"Something wrong?"

Dragonite scratched his chin. "No, I don't think so. There had been rumors of a Pokemon in this area, a high-ranking exile from Darkrai's army, but I'm sure it's nothing."

A blast of fire scorched the ground a foot in front of Dragonite, causing him to lurch back in alarm. 88 and 89 screamed in terror.

"Nothing, you say? You're just like Darkrai."

A figure leapt down nimbly from a ridge along the cliff, landing gracefully in the middle of the path. His upper body and arms were yellow, while his abdomen was orange. Three feathers stuck up from the top of his head and a jagged red scar ran from his right eye to the side of his beak. He smiled smugly.

"You," Dragonite growled. "You're Combusken."

The assailant nodded as two other Pokemon fell to flank him. Dragonite nodded solemnly at both of them. "Evening, gentlemen. It's been a while since we were all together like this."

Slowbro nodded. "It is good to see you again, old friend." Golduck said nothing, though it was apparent that he was in agreement.

"I wish I could say the same," Dragonite sighed. "But we were born on the wrong sides of this foul war. There is nothing you can do to avoid this battle."

"Battle?" Slowbro laughed. "You know fully well that I am too old and feeble to be fighting, against adversaries like you, nonetheless."

"As for me," Golduck added. "I am simply following the orders of Master Combusken and staying on the sidelines."

Piplup, Chimchar, 88, and 89 watched the exchange in confusion. "Dragonite?" Piplup inquired. "Anything you want to fill us in on?"

"Of course," Dragonite said, holding his hand up as a signal to wait. Combusken sighed in exasperation and began tapping his foot impatiently. "These two are Slowbro and Golduck. Slowbro was a former general in the Army of the Beyond, close enough to Darkrai to be brothers. He ended up, well, retiring." He put special emphasis on the word "retiring", but Piplup made no inquirations. "Golduck here has been serving Deoxys as both a butler and friend for longer than I can remember, and probably longer than he can too." Golduck chuckled silently.

"Who's Deoxys?" Chimchar cut in.

"You don't know?" Dragonite sighed. "Well, Deoxys is-"

There was a blast of heat as Combusken roared in anger. "For the sake of Arceus, can we just get down to business?"

"I'll make this quick," Dragonite said. "Deoxys is a ruler like Darkrai, Combusken is a spoiled brat who was shamed too many times. There, the introductions are complete, the butt-kicking can now commense."

Combusken smirked. "I'm here to challenge the one called Piplup."

"Piplup?" Piplup frowned. "Nope, haven't heard of him." He turned to 88. "Do you know him?"

"Can't say I do," 88 shook his head, then looked at 89. "Any help, compadre?"

89 scratched his head in bewilderment. "What are you guys talking about? Piplup's right there." Piplup smacked his forehead, while 88 imagined what it would be like to have arms to smack his own forehead with.

Combusken took a deep breath, barely keeping his cool. "I have had enough of this foolishness!" He gestured to Piplup. "Step forward!"

Cautiously, Piplup obeyed. He turned quickly to 89. "If he kills me, I'm blaming you!" 89 stuck out his bottom lip.

"Piplup, I have heard much about you," Combusken continued. "The exploits of you and Chimchar are nothing short of legendary. Ever since I first heard of your names, I have longed to meet you. My only regret is that Grovyle, Dusknoir, and the rest of your friends could not be here to witness your final defeat."

"And just what makes you think that you'll defeat me?" Piplup challenged.

"Because I have been training for this conflict for longer than you can imagine. My honor was soiled long ago, and I can imagine no better way to regain it than to capture Darkrai's most dangerous enemy."

Piplup turned pale. "Most dangerous enemy?"

Dragonite smiled sheepishly. "You are pretty popular around here. You're number one on the Beyond's most wanted list."

"Great," Piplup sighed sarcastically. "I feel so good about myself." He looked back to Combusken. "I accept your challenge. And when I kick your butt, then you must drag it back up that cliffside on your own and we can continue on to...wherever it is that we're going."

"Deal," Combusken nodded. "Uncle, Golduck, back away. I would advise you fugitives to do the same." They all obliged.

Piplup and Combusken stood across from each other. Combusken breathed in deeply, puffing out small breaths of smoke as he prepared himself. Piplup only succeeded at looking nervous and sweaty.

"Are you ready?" Slowbro asked.

"As I'll ever be," Piplup said. Combusken simply nodded.

"Ready?"

Combusken drew back his arms, forming a ball of fire.

"Set?"

Piplup stretched his arms, then yelped as his shoulder popped.

"Fight!"

"Banzai!"

They were surrounded in an instant. Yellow reptillian Pokemon swarmed down the cliff walls like a tidal wave. Piplup and Combusken spun in circles to take in the sight. Dragonite, Slowbro, and Golduck scowled at the newcomers.

"The Scraggy," Dragonite growled. "This only means one Pokemon."

As if on cue, a larger orange lizard dropped down in the center of the circle formed by the Scraggy. He had what appeared to be a red mohawk. "Heh heh heh heh, whose do we got here?"

"Scrafty," Dragonite spat. "As if today hadn't had enough pleasant surprises."

"Heh heh," Scrafty cackled. "Youse got plenty more to worry 'bout than a few pleasant surprises."

Chimchar turned to Dragonite. "Introduction, please?"

"Scrafty," Slowbro answered, startling Chimchar. "He's the head of Darkrai's personal mafia, which consists of these Scraggy."

"Just what do you think you're doing here?" Combusken demanded. "I've got these fugitives in my custody!"

"Excuse me?" Piplup cut in. "Remind me exactly how you consider this 'in custody'?"

Combusken ignored him.

"I was wonderin' just what you were doin' here myself," Scrafty said. "Boss di'nt say nuttin' 'bout no brat bein' on the scene."

"What?" Combusken gasped. "Darkrai sent you?"

"None other," Scrafty grinned. "Were I to bet on it, I'd say he don't trust some banished good-for-nuttin' brat to get the tough work done right, so he had to bring in a pro."

Combusken roared in fury, launching a blast of fire directly at Scrafty. The gang boss leaped nimbly aside, smirking. Combusken launched blast after blast, but Scrafty dodged every single one. More than a few Scraggy found themselves scorched by runaway fireballs. "Combusken!" Slowbro roared. "Cease this madness at once! We shall find a way to settle this dispute!"

"Yeah, lis'n to your uncle, or whatever it is you call 'im," Scrafty said. "Just give up and you don't get hurt."

"I've got a better idea," Dragonite spoke up. He gave a quick signal to the others, and at once, they charged. Dragonite went straight for Scrafty and the two spun off into the chaos of the attacking Scraggy. They swarmed Chimchar, 88, 89, Piplup, and even Combusken, leaving only Slowbro and Golduck untouched. Apparently, they didn't want to risk their jobs by attacking their superiors.

Through the crowd, Piplup found 88 and 89. "You two, I need a distraction. I promised Combusken a battle, and I plan on giving him one."

"Well, if that's what you want," 88 shrugged. "It'll cost you in the end."

"Just do it!"

"Okay, okay. 89, what do we have in the distraction department?"

"Hold on, I know I've got a hula skirt here somewhere..."

Meanwhile, Chimchar spun in circles and fired a continuous Flamethrower, holding off the horde of Scraggy. Finally, he could take it no longer. "Okay, guys, can we please make a single file line? At least make it a fair fight."

The group of Scraggy looked back and forth for a while and shrugged, then got into a line. The front one stepped up to face Chimchar. "Fear me! I am Scraggy!"

Chimchar punched him in the face. "Next!"

The next Scraggy stepped forward. "You have keeled my brother!"

Punch! "Next!"

Another Scraggy approached. "When I grow up, I'm gonna be a serial killer!"

Punch! "Next!"

An odd-looking Scraggy stepped forward, sniffing up a drip of snot every few seconds. "Sometimes, I throw up!"

Chimchar paused for a second and stared at the Scraggy, his expression a combination of bewilderment, exasperation, and amusement. "I like you kid. You've got potential. You could go places."

Punch!

"Next!"

Piplup, Combusken, Dragonite, and Chimchar were all too busy fighting to notice as 88 and 89 pulled themselves up onto an overlooking rock-shelf. 88 cleared his throat, but nobody looked up. Then he coughed, but nobody looked.

Suddenly, the air was filled with the sound of rapid drumbeats. Now everybody was looking. 89 was clutching a ukulele and wearing a hula skirt. 88 lay before him with an apple in his mouth.

Luau!

Are you lookin' for someone that you can really beat?

Check out my buddy 88 and you will get a treat!

If you wanna kill,

You will get a thrill!

Come on over and kill to your fill!

Are you achin'? (Yup yup yup!)

We're not fakin'! (Yup yup yup!)

You're distracted! (Yup yup yup!)

And to our succulent flesh you're attracted!

Oi!

88 and 89 stood motionless for a moment, as did all of the Scraggy. Then, they all took off at once. Scrafty smacked his forehead. "Morons."

Chimchar sighed. "They called that a distraction? That was terrible! They really need to get themselves a better song writer."

"Well, it was certainly better than that little diddy you cooked up down in the Core," Piplup pointed out. "Now go help them while I finish the job with Combusken."

Combusken rose up before him. "Perfect. Let's do this."

They turned away from each other, took a few steps, and then spun back. Simultaneously, Piplup fired Hydro Pump and Combusken launched Flamethrower. The two attacks collided with a bang and canceled each other out. The two leapt back and forth, firing attack after attack, but none of them broke through. Slowbro and Golduck watched closely, neither one speaking.

Meanwhile, Dragonite and Scrafty were still trading blows. Fire Punch and Low Kick met over and over, neither one breaking through. Scrafty smirked, a strategy forming in his head. He drew back his head and let forth with a close-range Sludge Bomb, knocking Dragonite onto his back. He advanced forward, cackling. His hand glowed white as he prepared for the finishing Brick Break.

Had he realized that he had never been in control of the battle, he probably would have considered his next move more carefully.

Instead, he found himself launched like a rocket by a sudden Hyper Beam.

A few moments later, he crashed down in the center of the army of Scraggy, which had managed to surround Chimchar, 88, and 89. They all gasped.

"S-Scrafty!?"

"What happened?"

"He's dead! He's dead!"

"I knew I should have stayed home today!"

They quickly scooped up the unconscious form of their boss and were gone before Chimchar even knew what had happened. "Well that worked out well."

His attention was grabbed by an explosion from further back down the path. "Sounds like trouble," 88 gulped. "Maybe we should wait here."

"Wait here?" 89 gasped. "That's insane! Piplup and Combusken must be fighting as we speak! To stay here while Piplup is in potential danger is simply unthinkable!"

"Of course," 88 nodded. "I wasn't thinking."

"No, you weren't," 89 agreed. "We need to start running in the opposite direction immediately."

Chimchar sighed in exasperation, grabbed one Chowderhead in each hand, and started off back towards Piplup. "I swear, if I end up having to babysit you on this entire trip, I'm going to turn you over to Darkrai."

They both shut up.

The explosions continued as Piplup and Combusken exchanged blow after blow. Hydro Pump met Flamethrower again and again, sending billows of steam into the air. Dragonite, Slowbro, and Golduck stood side-by-side as they watched the conflict, each milling over their own thoughts.

"It seems we're at a stalemate!" Piplup called. "Just give it up! We need a break!"

"Breaks are for the weak!" Combusken scoffed, shooting another Flamethrower. "We fight to the end!"

He never saw it coming.

Piplup's aura flared silver around him and solidified into body armor, deflecting the flames. An Aura Sphere formed between his hands and he fired it with all the force he could muster. It struck Combusken full in the chest, smashing him backward into the cliffside. In a matter of seconds, the entire battle had been turned around.

Slowbro clapped slowly, causing everyone to turn to him in surprise. "An amazing turn of events. Well played, Piplup."

"Uh, thank you?"

Combusken groaned and slowly sat up. "Wh-what? How could you do this?" He closed his eyes. "But, a deal is a deal. We must go." He shakily climbed to his feet and looked up the cliffside. Despite his injuries, he still showed amazing agility as he began leaping up the rock wall. "Piplup?"

"Yes?"

"This is not the end. We shall fight again, and when we do, I shall not lose." And then, he was gone over the edge. Wordlessly, Golduck followed him.

Slowbro's eyes glowed pink with the power of Psychic as he floated into the air. "Thank you all for your time. I had lots of fun!"

"We'll do it again sometime," Dragonite grinned. "But not too soon, I hope."

Slowbro laughed heartily again before disappearing over the ledge.

88 and 89 collapsed, moaning. Chimchar sighed. "Oy."

Piplup turned to Dragonite. "I don't suppose you can explain why today went the way it did?"

"Not easily," Dragonite admitted. "But I can try. It'll take a while."

"Just try it," Piplup nodded. "It'll certainly be easier than us trying to keep up with this as we go along." He turned to 89. "And please get him out of that dress!"

Far above on the cliff top, the black figure smiled. Today's events had gone splendidly, better even than could be expected. She laughed aloud. Her time was fast approaching.

Hope you all like it!
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 5th February 2011 at 5:22 AM.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Great and interesting chapter! I do kind of feel bad for Zuruzukin.....actually, I don't. I love chapters with fighting like this! I also think I know who the black figure is. It has to be either Zoroark or Gochiruzeru.
        Spoiler:- My Pokémon Teams & Video Game Identities:

Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    Great and interesting chapter! I do kind of feel bad for Zuruzukin.....actually, I don't. I love chapters with fighting like this! I also think I know who the black figure is. It has to be either Zoroark or Gochiruzeru.
    Here's a hint: Zoroark is a male.

Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post

The next Zuruggu stepped forward. "You have keeled my brother!"

Punch! "Next!"

Another Zuruggu approached. "When I grow up, I'm gonna be a serial killer!"

Punch! "Next!"

An odd-looking Zuruggu stepped forward, sniffing up a drip of snot every few seconds. "Sometimes, I throw up!"

Chimchar paused for a second and stared at the Zuruggu, his expression a combination of bewilderment, exasperation, and amusement. "I like you kid. You've got potential. You could go places."

Punch!

Hope you all like it!
    Haha that part was the best! Anyway another great chapter Zuruzukin seemed like an interesting character I wish he stayed around for a bit longer or he comes back somehow.

I laughd the whole time I was reading this chapter, mainly at the parts where the group of Zuruggu kept getting knocked out one-by-one, and at the part with No. 88 and No.89 were singing.

Awesome chapter.
    'While I live I want to shine I want to prove that I exist'~Grovyle PMD3

'Even in the darkest of times... there is hope'~Ignitus TLoS: DotD

Between Time and Darkness Prologue is now up
    See my current and future fanfics here

Glad you guys like it! I've went ahead and added an attack list in the first post.

Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks
    The group of Zuruggu looked back and forth for a while and shrugged, then got into a line. The front one stepped up to face Chimchar. "Fear me! I am Zuruggu!"

Punch! "Next!"

Punch! "Next!"

An odd-looking Zuruggu stepped forward, sniffing up a drip of snot every few seconds. "Sometimes, I throw up!"

Chimchar paused for a second and stared at the Zuruggu, his expression a combination of bewilderment, exasperation, and amusement. "I like you kid. You've got potential. You could go places."

Punch!

"Next!"
    Oh Chimchar, punching those poor Zuruggu just like that. xD

Anyway, great chapter! My bet is that the song is a Lion King reference right? xD

3DS FC: 3926-5714-3675 | Y IGN: Tempus

DeviantArt~Casual Battlers Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10ticFan View Post
    Oh Chimchar, punching those poor Zuruggu just like that. xD

Anyway, great chapter! My bet is that the song is a Lion King reference right? xD
    Yeah, 88 and 89 are pulling a Timon and Pumbaa.

Also, for those who want to know, the next chapter will be the first special Pokemon Show chapter, starring Piplup, Chimchar, Poliwhirl, and all the rest. It'll also feature Clamperl the Teenage Clamperl. I'll leave you to think on that one...

Author's Profile

Chapter highlight:

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks
    The group of Zuruggu looked back and forth for a while and shrugged, then got into a line. The front one stepped up to face Chimchar. "Fear me! I am Zuruggu!"

Punch! "Next!"

Punch! "Next!"

Punch!

"Next!"
    Easily the best chapter in a while.

Overall, a late reply, and this chapter somewhat, if not fully, makes up for the painfully long wait.

Lol good going Chimchar. Oh man now I'm in the mood to watch tThe Lion King lol.

Name: Drainer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

It's that time again!

Skuntank: The mysterious voice from above? It has returned!

Dusknoir: That can only mean one thing! The Pokemon Show is back on the air!

Skuntank: The horror! And that means we're back on preview duty!

Dusknoir: Oh well. At least we'll be bringing home some extra bacon.

Pokabu: Excuse me?

Dusknoir: New Guy, get out of here.

Skuntank: Well, we've got to start at some point. What are we looking at this week?

Dusknoir: This episode seems to be titled Defective Detective.

Skuntank: I'm thinking the stunt man messes something up.

Dusknoir: Yup, Poliwhirl's apparently solving some mystery about the monkey stealing from the audience.

Skuntank: The monkey? Well, this show just lost twice its potential.

Dusknoir: But at least it'll be twice as fun for us! I hope you've got those rotten Tamatos ready.

Skuntank: I wouldn't leave home without them!

Dusknoir: Also, it appears that there will be some guest stars from an underwater school, or something like that. Among them will be Remoraid, Magikarp, Jocktillery, and Clamperl the Teenage Clamperl, whatever that means.

Skuntank: Sounds stupid. I'll be there.

Dusknoir: I wouldn't miss it. Ciao!

Author's Profile

Isn't the "Sometimes I throw up" line from Ice Age 2? Also, that song's from Lion King lol XD

Yeah, the line's from the beginning of Ice Age 2.

I plan to have the Pokemon Show episode posted on Wednesday. However, it won't be here. Where will it be, then? Why, it will be here. That's right, I've got another fic started starring Piplup and Co. that I will be updating alternatively with this one. The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour will be like nothing else seen on this forum before, trust me!

Author's Profile

May I be on the PM list?

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Master View Post
    May I be on the PM list?
    Yep, you're on the PM list. Sorry that I never got out PMs, but I got an episode of the Pokemon Show posted in my fic The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour. As for the next true chapter of this fic, I could possibly get it up Sunday night or Monday afternoon, but it's extremely iffy.

Also, I have some other fics for you to keep your eyes out for. I probably won't post any of them until after Christmas, but I've got a trio of one-shots planned that ties into DoD. The first is Nightfall, the second is Thrown Together, and the third is Bonds. I've also got another one-shot planned called Seven, but it probably won't come out until after those three.

Author's Profile

By the name of Arceus, I'm early for a change! It's an almost-Christmas miracle!

Chapter 5
    Around the Fire (Again)

The fire crackled to life as Chimchar blew on it. He was clueless as to how he’d managed to ignite the rocks and soil inside the small cave they’d found, but he had succeeded. The world of the Beyond was a mystery indeed.

Shadows danced on the wall, causing Piplup to shudder. He still hated this bizarre world he’d been pulled into, but he was glad to at least have shelter. He wearily eyed Dragonite, who sat with his back to the cave entrance. “Are you sure we’re safe in here?”

“We’re fine,” Dragonite assured. “We scared off Scrafty and his cronies, and they won’t be coming back for a rematch anytime soon.”

“What about Combusken?” Piplup inquired. “Or even Darkrai himself?”

Dragonite scoffed. “Darkrai himself? Bah! He may have chased you down in your world, but here, he has a nearly unlimited number of underlings to send in. And Combusken may be a lot of bad things, but he is honorable. That’s what’s got him in the position he’s in now.”

“Okay, so we’re safe from Darkrai and Combusken,” Piplup nodded. “But what about that unlimited number of underlings you mentioned?”

“Oh, they’re nothing,” Dragonite waved his hand derisively. “There aren’t many worse than Scrafty and his gang, and we sent them packing. The ones who are truly strong are away. The Generals are fighting at the fronts, and Darkrai would never send in his bratty little princess. At least not unless he was desperate.”

Piplup frowned. “Is he desperate?”

“Er…quite possibly. But I’m sure we’ve got nothing to worry about.”

High above the cave, the shadowy black figure sat, smiling. She was eager to strike, but she couldn’t attack just yet. Darkrai had a hunch where these fugitives were heading, and if he was right, then she could add yet another outlaw to the execution list. She rose, turning back to the canyon. Before anything else, she had another visit to make.

Piplup held his hands over the fire. Dragonite’s uncertainty was unsettling, to say the least. But at least they had a warm fire and friendly company. “This is better than nothing,” he said aloud.

“That it is,” 88 agreed, settling down next to Piplup. “But I do miss the Core.”

“A world without luminescent moss is just unthinkable,” 89 added. He tried sitting down by the fire, only to singe his tail. He retreated to sit by 88.

Chimchar leaned back and stared up at the ceiling. “This place is messed up, man, messed up.”

“You have ole Giratina to blame for that, not to mention Darkrai and Deoxys,” Dragonite smirked.

“There’s that name again,” Piplup pointed out. “Deoxys. Just who is that?” He paused. “And Giratina? I’ve heard the name before, I just can’t place where.”

Dragonite looked at Piplup inquisitively for a second before realization donned on him. “That’s right, you don’t really know about anyone from here except Darkrai. Well, I’ll start from the beginning. I hope you’re ready for a long story.”

“Please,” Chimchar scoffed. “We’ve got nothing but time.”

“Alright, then,” Dragonite nodded. “I’ll start at the beginning. Long ago, in the time of the original Dialga and Palkia, there was a Pokemon named Giratina.”

Piplup clapped in remembrance. “That’s it! I knew I knew that name!”

Chimchar nodded. “Yeah. Dialga told us in Treasure Town, and then Mew told us again in the Core.”

“Giratina was a wicked Pokemon who rose up in rebellion against Dialga and Palkia,” Piplup continued. “He gathered many allies and attempted to take control of the universe. Dialga and Palkia overpowered him, but they were left weak and defenseless. They could not have stopped Giratina if he’d risen again, so they created a dimension with the last of their strength to act as a prison for Giratina and his army. However, this caused Dialga and Palkia to wither up and die, leaving behind newer, inferior versions of themselves.”

“So you do know some,” Dragonite said. “But do you know where you are right now?”

Piplup stared at Dragonite as if he’d bowed down in worship of Darkrai. “The Beyond, as I believe you called it. Some mysterious dimension of darkness filled with evil Pokemon.” He paused. “An army of evil Pokemon…perhaps descended from an older army of evil Pokemon…perhaps lead by a villainous legendary dragon?”

“You’re a sharp one,” Dragonite smiled. “You’re absolutely correct. The Beyond is the prison created for Giratina and his followers. Darkrai, Combusken, Garchomp, myself, and everyone here is descended from the original rebel army.” He paused. “Of course, not all of us remained evil through inheritance. That’s how the Resistance was formed.”

“The Resistance?” 88 inquired, frowning.

Dragonite nodded. “Yep, the Resistance. We’re an army of rebels bent on overthrowing Darkrai and Deoxys for control of the Beyond.”

“Deoxys again,” Piplup sighed. “You still haven’t fully explained who that is. And what about Giratina?”

“Deoxys is a nightmare,” Dragonite scowled. “He’s an utter genius. He and Darkrai are partners in control of the Army of the Beyond.”

“Darkrai actually has a friend?” Chimchar gaped. “I can’t believe that.”

Dragonite smirked. “Then don’t. Darkrai and Deoxys may be partners, but they’re not friends. They hate each other. However, they mutually benefit from their partnership, so they put up with each other. Darkrai has incredible power and can utilize the darkness to its fullest capabilities. Deoxys is a strategic mastermind, the smartest Pokemon I’ve ever known.” He paused, shuddering. “He’s much more mild-mannered than Darkrai, and I don’t know anybody who has ever seen him lose his cool. But I believe that that is part of what makes him a thousand times more dangerous than Darkrai.”

“More dangerous than Darkrai?” 89 gulped. “That’s…that’s…”

“That’s pretty dangerous,” Chimchar finished.

“You have no idea,” Dragonite nodded. “You haven’t even met him yet.” He turned to Piplup. “And you mentioned Giratina? Well, he disappeared. Many years ago, he simply vanished. Everyone assumes that he finally succumbed to the madness of his prison and died alone. A skeleton was discovered. It’s the proper size and structure, but nobody can confirm that it was Giratina.”

Piplup seemed to be slightly comforted. “So we’ve got Darkrai and Deoxys. I think we can take them on.”

“Don’t forget their entire army,” Dragonite added. “But don’t worry. Once we reach the Resistance HQ, we’ll have plenty of back-up. I can’t wait for you guys to meet my buddies back there. Team Liberty will be just ecstatic to find some new recruits.”

“New recruits, eh?” Piplup scratched his chin. “I think we can fill in that role. I want to be a lieutenant or a colonel or a general. Something important.”

Dragonite smiled. “I’ll put in a good word for you guys, if we get there alive, that is.”

“You sound convinced,” 89 said. “But hey, you’ve got to talk good about 88 and me too.”

“Yeah,” 88 agreed. “We’re trained soldiers.”

Dragonite seemed impressed. “Really? How many battles have you seen?”

The two shuffled their feet nervously. “Real battles?” 88 pondered. “I’d say…maybe…one and a half?”

“Even that’s debatable,” Piplup pointed out. “Those battles were against untrained soldiers, who greatly outnumbered us. They weren’t warzone conditions.”

“Oh,” 89 sighed. “In that case: none.”

Dragonite shrugged. “Don’t worry. My good friend Absol can help with your training.”

“We’ll need it,” Piplup admitted. “We’ve only truly beaten Darkrai once before, and we had help then.”

“I knew you’d beaten Darkrai before,” Dragonite nodded. “News spread fast. They said you fought down an entire ambush party in a volcanic crater. Who helped you?”

“A Psychic type Pokemon,” Chimchar explained. “She helped us flush out Darkrai in the first place to take him on, then joined us to fight him. Her name’s Cresselia.”

Dragonite was taken aback. He nearly fell over backward. “Cresselia? Did you say Cresselia?”

“Yeah,” Piplup said, frowning. “How do you know her name?”

“She’s a legend!” Dragonite gasped. “She was once a major source of inside information for the Resistance, just like I was until breaking out you guys. She disappeared from the Beyond not long after Darkrai managed to find a way out. We assumed she was chasing him.”

Piplup nodded. “She must have been, because she was pursuing him throughout our world when we met them. So he knew her from this world?”

“Knew her?” Dragonite smirked. “Of course he knew her. She was his wife.”

The portal pulsed blue above the bluff. Far below, ocean waves crashed against the cliff-face. Two figures stood before the glowing door, waiting.

“What do you suppose he’s doing in there?”

“I don’t know. He just wanted me to open it up for him.”

The first figure seemed on edge. He wasn’t nervous, though. He simply felt…off. The fact that three of his closest friends were absent probably had something to do with it. He idly fingered the red scar across his eye.

The second hovered in the air impatiently. “He’d better hurry up. Who knows what could happen if I leave this open much longer?”

“Don’t worry, I’m coming.”

A ghostly figure emerged from the portal. He towered over his two companions. Flickering shapes could be seen in the portal behind him.

“Well, Dusknoir?” the first figure asked. “You didn’t come back empty-handed, did you?”

“Think about it, Grovyle,” Dusknoir said. “Would I have asked Celebi to send me forward just for a pointless visit?”

Grovyle thought it over for a minute. “You do have a tendency to waste time, but not in a moment of crisis. So, what were you up to?”

“Well, if our plan ever comes to fruition, we’ll need some help,” Dusknoir explained.

“Wheh-heh-heh-heh-heh!” The strange cackling echoed forth from the Passage of Time, rolling out across Sharpedo Bluff.

Celebi gasped. “That laugh! Is it really-“

Dusknoir nodded. “That it is. I decided to bring in some reinforcements.”

At these words, the Sableye spilled forth.

Hope you all like it!
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 5th February 2011 at 5:26 AM.

Author's Profile

You're EARLY!!?!?!?! *faints*

So Darkrai was originaly from the Beyond? And Cresselia? And all the rest? That's... interesting... and you brought back the Sableye! The Sableye were my favourite characters originally. Simply because of their maniacal laughing. It's awesome.
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by scizorstrike View Post
    You're EARLY!!?!?!?! *faints*

So Darkrai was originaly from the Beyond? And Cresselia? And all the rest? That's... interesting... and you brought back the Sableye! The Sableye were my favourite characters originally. Simply because of their maniacal laughing. It's awesome.
    Yeah, it was freaky. I just sat down and started typing with the intention of merely starting it off, and I ended up finishing it relatively quickly. I realize that it's short, but it's really just a filler chapter that gives out some necessary information. And don't get too used to the Sableye, as they'll only show up a few times. They're merely back-up for Grovyle, Dusknoir, and Celebi for when they launch their plan into action, and they probably won't even play a major role then.

Also, you've probably realized that I didn't send out PMs or even edit my signature during the time since I posted the chapter. That's because posting the chapter was the last thing I got done before my computer was overtaken by a virus and put out of commission until about an hour and a half ago. So I'll be sending out PMs now. Until then!

Author's Profile

Aww so no Lucario or Mew then?

Spoiler:- Sig Stuff:

Cresselia is Darkrai's wife!? Shock! Horror! Anyway awesome chapter as usual .

Name: Drainer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Aww so no Lucario or Mew then?
    Nope. Lucario and Mew won't have a very big part in this book. They'll have a couple appearances alongside Grovyle, Dusknoir, and Celebi, but nothing huge. Basically, the stars of the A-plot will always be Piplup and Chimchar, even if others change, and the stars of the B-plot will always be Grovyle, Dusknoir, and Celebi, even if others change. Now, as for the C-plot...

Author's Profile

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast