Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Dimensions of Darkness Book 3: The Explorers of the Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post
    Yeah, that really is my entire point in writing the DoD series. I wasn't thinking about it that much at the time, but that's a good slogan for the entire series. Thanks for pointing that out!
    Haha, no problem! Yay, I thought of something useful for the DoD series!
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:

Spoiler:- Claimed Anime Songs/Anime List:

The fire crackled and the shadows flickered on the wall in Darkrai’s study. Laid out before him was an enormous flat table, marked like a chess board. Multiple makeshift figures sat on it. Most notable were those of a penguin, a monkey, a rooster, a taller penguin, and a reaper. He reached forward and shoved the figures of Piplup, Chimchar, and Prinplup together, then moved the Combusken figure closely behind them. He then moved the figure of himself to directly intercept them.

“The prophecy claims that the aura of silver and power of gold will be my downfall,” Darkrai smirked. “But there are more prophecies than just that. Just as there are prophecies of hope, there are prophecies of doom.” He drew Umbra from its sheath and watched the firelight gleam off of its coal-black surface. “The Silver Aura. The Golden Flame. The Exiled Prince. The Warrior Maiden. The Shadow King. When all five are gathered, the seal shall be broken.” With a single movement, he plunged Umbra point first into the center of the table. For a moment, nothing happened. Then, the board cracked and split into five equal pieces.
    This quote is rather long, but, to me, this is the making of the reader's glimpse into a plot twist of the Resistance versus the Oppressors (so-to-speak). First off, it shows the character development of Darkrai. Unless I am mistaken in this, Darkrai has become more patient with his goals in eliminating Piplup, Chimchar, and the entire Resistance for that matter. To further back that up, you mention that the board he was looking at resembled a chess board when there are plenty of other boards that could have been compared (whether that was intentional or not). On the final note, as others have mentioned, it seems like Darkrai is familiar with a prophesy that involves Giratina's revival.

If Giratina is to be free again, I have always toyed with the idea that time gears would break his imprisonment when you first hinted that nobody knows if Giratina died at the beginning of this fic. If something as important as time gears were created, one would think that they are used for more purposes than just keeping Temporal Tower active and the "Time Machine"(or whatever it was) in the core from restoring/stopping time. If Giratina is the focal point of Darkrai's prophesy, perhaps the seal could unlock time gears that were placed in the Beyond. Just a suggestion from me, but obviously, the plot is dictated by you.

When Dragonite experienced the ghosts of his past, you mentioned a few towns that were demolished. Will those ever get mentioned again, and will the group travel through any other towns that may exist?

I don't see any reason that this chapter was boring in the slightest. You introduced a new team and started to unravel the plot to be. Also, it would be rather impossible to have action in every chapter. Heck even movies can't pull that off.

10 out of 10 here.

----SS
    credits for pic and banner: Avenger Angel and Brutaka

I have claimed Sceptile

Destiny's Forge: click sig.
    ARD: UNDER REVISIONAL HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

Also read Essense of Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Septic Scepti1e View Post
    . If something as important as time gears were created, one would think that they are used for more purposes than just keeping Temporal Tower active and the "Time Machine"(or whatever it was) in the core from restoring/stopping time.

----SS
    It's the Wheel of Time, actually. and keeping Time running is rather important, don't you think?
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

This quote is rather long, but, to me, this is the making of the reader's glimpse into a plot twist of the Resistance versus the Oppressors (so-to-speak). First off, it shows the character development of Darkrai. Unless I am mistaken in this, Darkrai has become more patient with his goals in eliminating Piplup, Chimchar, and the entire Resistance for that matter. To further back that up, you mention that the board he was looking at resembled a chess board when there are plenty of other boards that could have been compared (whether that was intentional or not). On the final note, as others have mentioned, it seems like Darkrai is familiar with a prophesy that involves Giratina's revival.

If Giratina is to be free again, I have always toyed with the idea that time gears would break his imprisonment when you first hinted that nobody knows if Giratina died at the beginning of this fic. If something as important as time gears were created, one would think that they are used for more purposes than just keeping Temporal Tower active and the "Time Machine"(or whatever it was) in the core from restoring/stopping time. If Giratina is the focal point of Darkrai's prophesy, perhaps the seal could unlock time gears that were placed in the Beyond. Just a suggestion from me, but obviously, the plot is dictated by you.

When Dragonite experienced the ghosts of his past, you mentioned a few towns that were demolished. Will those ever get mentioned again, and will the group travel through any other towns that may exist?

I don't see any reason that this chapter was boring in the slightest. You introduced a new team and started to unravel the plot to be. Also, it would be rather impossible to have action in every chapter. Heck even movies can't pull that off.

10 out of 10 here.

----SS
    Thanks for that review, it's rare that I actually get a full out dissection of a part of a chapter like that, rather than just comments about what was liked/not liked. In response, I will say:

Yes, Darkrai has been developing and gaining patience. And the comparison to a chessboard was intentional, showing Darkrai's development.

Is there a plot to revive Giratina? I will neither confirm nor deny that there is. I will confirm that there will be an event much later in the story involving Time Gears, however.

And lastly, yes, the towns that were demolished will be mentioned again. They were included in a very important event in the past which also involved Dragonite and Golduck. Speaking of which, I haven't been including Golduck much lately. His next appearance should be Chapter 18.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Which is the point of filler chapters to begin with. Compare that concept to that of a filler episode in Pokemon anime, say.

The time gears are that versatile. They belong in certain areas, such as Fogbound Lake, to keep time flowing in those areas. Five of them can be taken to Temporal Pinnacle, or three of them to the Wheel of Time in the center of earth. And Gallade mentioned that there should be an upcoming event involving them as well. How many of those are needed for this event is up to Gallade to be revealed, however.
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

Sorry this chapter has taken longer than I intended to get posted. I actually had it mostly done and was going to post it two days ago, but two days ago, my mom took my laptop to use for downloading pictures to her phone, and last night my baseball game went extra-innings and I didn't get home until after eleven. So, here it is:

Chapter 15
    The Five Unite

“We’re gaining ground.”

“Well, maybe you are. I’m not used to all this walking, though.”

Combusken ignored Slowbro as he kept his eye on the figures near the distant horizon. “The larger group must be making them move more slowly. We can use this to our advantage.”

Slowbro yawned. “Can’t we take a rest stop first? I’m feeling as groggy as a Slowpoke, and I thought I’d left that phase behind long ago.”

“There’s no time,” Combusken said. “We’ve got to get to them before Gothitelle does. She almost did them in last time, and she’s certain not to fail a second time.”

“But surely you have more productive things to be doing than chasing down hopeless dreams,” Slowbro said. “Do you honestly think you could take on that entire group when you failed to even defeat Piplup before?”

Combusken opened his mouth to speak, but closed it quickly. He hung his head and closed his eyes. “I. . . I hadn’t thought about it like that.”

Slowbro stepped forward and patted his back. “Sorry. I was a bit blunt. But I want you to think about your decisions before you make a mistake that you’ll regret.”

“I know,” Combusken said. “But. . . I don’t see any other option. I have to redeem myself, and the only way to do that is to stop those who pose the greatest threat to my father.”

“I have known Darkrai for many, many years,” Slowbro said. “He is not a forgiving person. You are wasting your time attempting to appeal to him.”

Combusken smirked. “That may be true. But I don’t have anything else to do with my time. I’d prefer not to waste my life.”

Slowbro fought back the urge to scream. “As you wish.”

The two continued walking in silence.

88 gulped. “Are you sure this is such a good idea?”

“It’s fine,” Piplup said. “What’s the worst that could happen?”

“Well,” 89 said. “We could lose our life, our limbs, our life and limbs, our organs, our life and organs, our limbs and organs, our – “

“Enough!” Prinplup snapped. “I want to have some of this ‘fun’ you guys keep going on about!”

“Then let’s get going!” Piplup said.

“I’m still not sure I agree with this,” Meganium grumbled as she kneeled down. Piplup, Chimchar, Prinplup, 88, and 89 all hopped onto her back. “Aren’t I in the position of greatest danger here?”

Piplup scratched his chin. “No, you’re in the second greatest position of danger. 88 doesn’t have arms to hold on with, so he’s in the position of greatest danger.”

“That’s reassuring,” the Shieldon said. “Can I get off now?”

“Too late!” Chimchar said. “Now, mush!” Meganium turned around and glared at him. “Or, not mush.”

Meganium stepped forward boldly. “Alright, lady and gents, hold on to your butts!” With that, she jumped forward and began sliding belly-first down the steep decline in the plain. The flat plateau suddenly dropped away into a sharp slope and Meganium picked up speed, her passengers holding on for dear life.

“This. Was. Such. A. Bad. Idea!” 88 wailed in between bumps.

“Says you!” Chimchar countered.

“This is fantastic!” Prinplup cried.

Piplup laughed. “You haven’t seen anything yet!”

They continued speeding downward, with Dragonite and Charizard flying overhead. Piplup, Chimchar, and Prinplup all whooped with excitement. There was a sudden bump as Meganium skipped over a dip in the ground and 88 lost his grip. He flew into the air backwards as 89 slid down to the end of Meganium’s tail. The Cranidos managed to grab 88’s tail and tried to pull him back. However, he hit the ground first and proceeded to be dragged along behind Meganium, wailing.

“I won’t let go!” 89 cried.

“Let go!” 88 pleaded. “It’s more merciful than just dragging me along behind like this!”

“Okay,” 89 said obligingly. He let go. . . of Meganium’s tail. Both fell away from the others and began to tumble end over end down the slope behind Meganium.

Prinplup turned to look at 88 and 89. “That looks fun.”

“It’s not,” Piplup said. “So don’t try it.”

“Whatever,” Prinplup shrugged.

“Hold on!” Chimchar yelled suddenly. “The ride ends here!”

Piplup and Prinplup turned to face forward again to see the ground leveling out before them. Meganium spun out and her passengers were thrown forward, skidding across the ground until they finally came to a stop.

Prinplup lay flat on her back, staring at the sky. Piplup quickly ran to her side. “Whoa! Prinplup! Are you alright?” He leaned down over her. She was mumbling under her breath. “What is it?”

“That. . . was. . .” She abruptly sat straight up, causing Piplup to fall back in surprise. “Awesome!!!

“Glad you liked it,” Piplup said, his ears ringing.

There was a loud crash as 88 and 89 finally hit the ground nearby. “We’re okay!”

“I can taste sound,” 89 added.

Dragonite and Charizard lighted down while Meganium and Chimchar rose to their feet. “Now that was fun,” Chimchar said.

“I thought so,” Meganium nodded. “And I was the sled, so that’s saying something.”

“That was fun and I was only watching it,” Charizard said. “So that’s really saying something.”

Prinplup smiled admiringly at Piplup. “That was more fun than I think we’ve ever had here. I thank you for that.”

Piplup blushed. “Well, uh, you’re welcome.” He caught Chimchar looking at him amusedly and immediately turned away.

“Okay, you’ve had your fun now,” Dragonite said. “Now we’ve got to get moving again.”

“You always were a bit of a spoilsport,” Prinplup said teasingly. “But you’re right.” She turned around and began to walk away. “Come on, all. We’re nearing a sight of importance.”

Dragonite frowned. “Why are we going there?”

“Normally, we wouldn’t have time to play tourist,” Prinplup said. “But this is a place of great importance, as you know. It played a big part in the Beyond’s history, and it may have a role yet to play.”

“So where are we going?” Chimchar inquired.

“You shall see,” Prinplup answered. “We are nearly there.”

The group continued walking in silence. Piplup cast an occasional glance at Prinplup, but turned away whenever he felt she might look back. Finally, they stepped over a small ridge and Prinplup stopped. “We have arrived.”

Piplup and Chimchar hurried forward to look. Laid out before them was a large round indentation in the ground, which was stone rather than dirt. There many strange markings carved into the stone, forming a circle of writing and pictures. Prinplup continued walking forward until she stood in the center of the stone.

“What is this place?” Piplup asked in wonder.

“A battleground,” Dragonite answered.

Prinplup nodded. “That is correct. This was the site of one of the few good things that the army of the Beyond ever did.”

“Though for completely selfish reasons,” Dragonite added.

“Also correct,” Prinplup said.

“What happened?” Chimchar asked.

“Technology happened,” Prinplup said. “This was many years ago, while Giratina was still alive. He always dreamed of escaping the Beyond and returning to ravage the Earth once again. So, he tampered with every kind of weapon and invention he could.”

Piplup gulped. “Weapons? Like swords and axes and that stuff?”

“Worse,” Prinplup said. “Weapons never before known to Pokemon. However, Giratina had before visited the faraway continent of the humans, and he knew of their technology.”

“I was afraid you might say that,” Piplup said.

Chimchar frowned. “Why? What do you know?”

“I don’t remember a lot of my personal life as a human,” Piplup said. “But I can remember most of the common knowledge and general information that I grew up learning. And there are horrible weapons in the human world, weapons of mass destruction.”

“And those are what Giratina began to experiment with,” Prinplup said. “He worked with the explosives called bombs and metal-shooting sticks.”

“Those are called guns,” Piplup said sorrowfully. “And to imagine those existing in this peaceful Pokemon world. . . it makes my heart ache.”

Prinplup patted him on the shoulder. “No need to worry. Giratina failed to grasp their most basic principles, and he was unable to recreate them.” She paused. “But in his failure, he created something just as bad.”

“And what would that be?” 88 asked as he and 89 moved to join the conversation.

“He created something truly terrifying, something logically impossible,” Prinplup said. “He created life. A truly organic weapon.”

“A living weapon. . .?” Piplup’s voice trailed away.

Prinplup nodded. “A massive creature, capable of causing equally massive destruction.” She smirked. “But Giratina completely lost control of his monster, and it began to go on a rampage.”

“But isn’t that exactly what Giratina intended from it?” Chimchar asked.

“Not exactly,” Prinplup said. “In its blind outrage, his weapon even attacked soldiers of Giratina’s army. It was moving directly towards the army’s stronghold, and it was going to wipe out everything. Giratina’s top lieutenants told him of the danger, but he refused to do anything to stop it. He had gone completely insane with his experimentation and believed that anything his weapon did was benign, even at the cost of his allies.”

“So that’s how Giratina went insane,” Chimchar said. “We’d been told he had, but we didn’t know how.”

Prinplup snickered. “Well, everything turned out alright in the end. Reshiram and Zekrom, who were Giratina’s top generals, managed to trap the monster on this very spot, and here it remains sealed to this day. As for Giratina, well, he was never seen again.”

“So the weapon is sealed right here?” Piplup said. “What if it escapes?”

“It won’t,” Dragonite said. “The seal will only be undone when five destined beings stand upon it.” He paused. “Nobody knows who these beings are, but rumor has it that Darkrai has been searching for them for years.”

Charizard scoffed. “Though why he would want to release the beast is beyond me.”

“Exactly,” Prinplup said. “If Giratina was unable to harness it, then Darkrai will be completely overwhelmed.”

“As you shall now be!”

A blast of fire exploded on the stone, causing all of the Pokemon to look up at once. Combusken leapt down from above, flanked on each side by a pair of Scraggy. The five landed in the middle of the group and leapt immediately into action. One Scraggy struck out with a punch, knocking 88 and 89 backwards. Another jumped onto Meganium’s neck and began dragging her down. The third tackled Charizard in the stomach, forcing him off balance. The final jumped at Prinplup, only to be struck down by her Metal Claw. Combusken launched himself at Piplup, who ducked sideways just in time to avoid the attack.

“You again?” Piplup sighed. “With Scraggy, of all things?”

“I asked the same question!” Slowbro called down from where he stood at the top of the ridge.

Combusken smiled. “These Scraggy may have been losers when you fought them before-“ he paused. “No offense.”

“None taken,” the fallen Scraggy said.

“But they were being held back by that moron Scrafty,” Combusken continued. “They were uninspired by his leadership. But with me in control, they’re ready to fight!”

As if on cue, the other three Scraggy were simultaneously thrown to the ground by the combined force of Meganium, Charizard, and Prinplup.

“That doesn’t mean they’re ready to win,” Chimchar pointed out.

“Fair enough,” Combusken sighed. “But I don’t need the rest of you. I’m only here for Piplup.”

“What a coincidence. So am I.”

Thunder rumbled and a bolt of lightning struck directly in the center of the stone. The Scraggy were all thrown back like rag dolls while Charizard and Meganium were caught in the radius of the jolt as well, forcing them backwards.

Piplup and Combusken looked up as one, the same scowl forming on both of their faces. “Gothitelle!” they growled as one.

Gothitelle laughed out loud as she jumped down to the stone, with Mismagius and Froslass close behind her. “Sorry we’re late to the party.” She glared at Combusken. “But given that our tardiness gave you time to show up, I suppose it can be excused.”

“I’ll take you on right here, right now!” Combusken challenged. “Piplup is mine, and mine alone!”

“I don’t think so!” Gothitelle snapped. “I’ve never failed before, and I don’t intend to start now.”

“It feels so good to be wanted,” Piplup muttered.

Prinplup lashed out suddenly with Metal Claw, striking Gothitelle from behind. She stumbled forward in surprise while Mismagius and Froslass lunged at Prinplup. 88 and 89 moved as one to intercept the attack, knocking the attackers sideways so that they fell in a heap. Piplup and Combusken both jumped forward towards Gothitelle, who quickly rose again to meet their attack. The three began trading blows back and forth with Brick Break, each managing to land multiple hits on the others.

Meanwhile, Mismagius and Froslass leapt back into battle against Prinplup, Charizard, and Meganium. Froslass was the first to strike, landing multiple hits along Meganium’s side. At first, nothing happened, but then the Grass Pokemon fell sideways, her muscles chilled by the attack. “One down, two to go,” Mismagius muttered. She launched a rapid-fire Magical Leaf at Prinplup, who sliced through them with Metal Claw. Froslass threw herself at Charizard and attempted to strike him as she had Meganium. However, her blows seemed to have no effect.

“Hot-blooded,” Charizard explained in the second before he unleashed his Flamethrower. Froslass fell back, shielding her face with her hands. He turned to face Mismagius only to be met with a Psywave. He tripped forward, completely caught up in the cyclone of energy. In the next instant, the attack stopped and Charizard fell as Prinplup shot Mismagius down with Bubblebeam.

Piplup, Combusken, and Gothitelle’s assault on each other continued with no sign of stopping. “Giving up soon?” Gothitelle smirked.

“No chance,” Piplup and Combusken answered simultaneously. They lashed out all the harder, catching Gothitelle across both shoulders. She twirled away from them and fell down into a sitting position. Her opponents both charged after her, attacking again with simultaneous Brick Breaks.

“Whoa whoa whoa! I don’t believe there is a call for all of this violence.”

The voice caught the eye of every conscious being present. Piplup felt his blood run cold. “No. Not here. . .”

Darkrai laughed uproariously. “Hello to you to!” He turned first to Prinplup. “It’s been quite awhile since our last meeting.” Next he looked at Dragonite. “And the traitor himself. I’ve been wanting to get my hands on you for quite awhile, but Garchomp has dibs on that.” He turned next to Combusken. “But perhaps this is the worst traitor of them all. Not only does he fail yet again in his assignment, but he even turns against his own sibling!”

“She started it,” Combusken pointed out.

“I’m ending it!” Darkrai snapped. He cast a quick glance at 88 and 89. “And frankly, I don’t even remember you two.” Finally, his gaze came to rest on Piplup and Chimchar. “But you two I remember. How could I ever forget?”

“It’s been quite awhile since we met face-to-face,” Piplup said. “When was that? Oh yes, it was when you hauled us into this Arceus-forsaken land and left us to rot in prison.”

Darkrai scoffed. “I wasn’t going to let you rot. I fully planned to execute you publicly at some point.”

“Well, that’s so much better,” Piplup mumbled.

Darkrai laughed again. “But enough of this small talk. I’m here for a reason, as I’m sure you can all guess.”

“Can I introduce myself now?”

Piplup and Chimchar looked up in confusion as another Pokemon floated from above the ridge to join Darkrai. It was humanoid in figure with twisted tentacles for arms. Darkrai sighed dramatically. “If you must.”

The new Pokemon looked down at Piplup and Chimchar. “I’m Deoxys. I’m sure you’ve both heard of me.”

“Yes, yes we have,” Chimchar said. “And I’m sure you’ve heard of both of us.”

“Yes, yes I have,” Deoxys said. “Nice to meet you.”

“Charmed,” Piplup said evenly. “Now, Darkrai’s wicked plot?”

Darkrai nodded. “Ah, yes. I’m sure you’ve all heard the rumors that I was attempting to gather the five beings who would undo the seal beneath your feet.”

“Just heard that today, actually,” 88 said.

“Only a few minutes ago,” 89 added.

“Well, it appears my timing is impeccable,” Darkrai said. “Well, I have a grand revelation to make right here. I have found the five!”

The entire group gasped as one. “Impossible,” Dragonite breathed.

“Ah, but it is fully possible,” Darkrai said. He unleashed a massive Dark Pulse, causing a massive shockwave. Gothitelle, Mismagius, and Froslass all cart-wheeled away from the attack, landing on the ridge opposite Slowbro. The others weren’t so lucky. The blast sent Dragonite, the Chowderheads, Charizard, Meganium, and the Scraggy reeling, forcing them all off of the stone. Only Piplup, Chimchar, Combusken, and Prinplup remained. Darkrai floated down beside them, then drew a coal-black sword from a sheath on his back. He looked at the others one by one, pointing to them with the sword.

“The Silver One.” Piplup was illuminated in a sickly green glow.

“The Golden Flame.” The glow spread to Chimchar.

“The Exiled Prince.” Then to Combusken.

“The Warrior Maiden.” And Prinplup.

“The Shadow King.” Finally, Darkrai himself was engulfed in the glow. The runes around the stone seal began to shine as well.

Dragonite rushed at Darkrai, but an energy field flashed around him, keeping him back. “No, no, no!”

“Yes, yes, yes!” Darkrai cackled, holding the sword into the air. “Now, the key to unlock the seal is all that remains. And that key is Umbra!” Deoxys and Slowbro turned to each other with unease in their eyes. Then, Darkrai plunged the blade into the center of the stone. It sliced through as if it were nothing but air.

With a sound like shattering glass, the seal broke. At first, there was no sign of movement.

Then, the Beast emerged in an explosion of flames.

Hope you all like it!

Next Time: With the Beast unsealed, Piplup and Co. must do everything possible to prevent it from getting loose in the Beyond. The fate of all rests in the decision of one Pokemon, but just where will the Exiled Prince's final loyalties lie?

And now, with this being the fifteenth chapter, this book is 1/3 done! In honor of this, here are ten facts about this series that will probably surprise you:
        Spoiler:- READ PLEASE:

And once again, it's too late and I'm too tired, so I'll be sending out PMs in the morning.
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 25th November 2012 at 2:17 AM.

Author's Profile

This is getting.... interesting.

Spoiler:- Theory;:
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

Good chapter. I do wonder who the beast is. Kyurem sounds like a good idea because of Reshiram & Zekrom, although I don't see how a Dragon/Ice Type comes from an explosion of flames.

Those are very cool facts, most I didn't even know, so it was a nice read.

1/3 Done! Awesome!

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Wow! This is getting intense. Awesome Chapter keep it up!

Name: Drainer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

great chappie cant wait for the beast! keep up the good work!
    PASBL stats
    FB stats
    Virtuadopt clicks

Interested in the PASBL (Pokemon Anime Style Battle League)? Read our Getting Started thread! Got a question? Go to our Q/A thread.

Anyone may ref for me

Oh crap... It's heatran or something isn't it? Or the fossil groudon from jirachi wishmaker. Or groudon... Dark keldeo? Fire genesect? Ah poopy, I can't guess right at all.

I haven't responded in a while... Idk why.
        Spoiler:- My Sig:

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    Good chapter. I do wonder who the beast is. Kyurem sounds like a good idea because of Reshiram & Zekrom, although I don't see how a Dragon/Ice Type comes from an explosion of flames.
    On top of that, Genesect happens to have a fire weakness. But then again, there's the Drives...

Wow, very good chapter! Seems like the whole "gang" was here in this chapter except Golduck. 1/3 Done? Can't wait to see what is in stored for the next 30 chapters! (I did the math right) Will Piplup and the gang ever get to the Resistance HQ? I wonder how they will get out of Darkrai's mess....

Claimed Pokémon:

Guess what: I've already got the next chapter done! But I'm sending in my laptop to Sony tomorrow, so it may be a week or a little more until the next one. Now, enjoy!

Chapter 16
    The Beast Unsealed

The Beast wasn’t as large as Piplup had expected it to be, but that didn’t stop it from flooring the four onlookers on the stone with a single swipe. Darkrai quickly ducked back out of attack range and watched, smiling maliciously.

“What is this thing?” Chimchar gasped.

Piplup pondered the question as he examined the figure. It was a few feet taller than Dragonite, but its bulk was much more considerable. Its limbs were segmented, yet they two were blocky. Its defining feature was the strange protrusion on its back.

“It seems to be some kind of robot,” he decided.

88 gulped. “I don’t care what it is, I’m still terrified of it!”

“I’d be less scared of it if I just knew what to call it,” 89 said.

“Okay, let’s call it Steve,” Piplup said. “Now can we please do something now?”

“Steve” responded by blasting Piplup with a beam of light from the cannon on its back. The hit sent him sprawling as Charizard and Meganium rushed past. Prinplup jumped to her feet before them. “Alright, team, let’s do this!”

“Right!” Meganium and Charizard said simultaneously. Charizard took to the air, only to plunge down again a moment later, grappling onto the Beast’s back before unleashing a powerful Flamethrower. Meganium rammed it from underneath, driving it backwards. She then reached out with her Vine Whip to constrict its arms. Prinplup took a running start and jumped, vaulting off of Meganium’s back. She flipped forward until she was level with the pair of glowing red eyes.

“Ready for this?” she smirked. Steve gave no response. Prinplup let loose a stream of Bubblebeam into its face. It stumbled backward a few steps, but she followed it. “This ends before it begins!” Her hands glowed with a dual Metal Claw and she slashed at the Beast’s face.

With a horrific sound of screeching metal, her attack slid off without leaving a scratch.

Prinplup fell to the ground, gasping in shock. The Beast seemed to take strength from this and began to flail. It flexed its arms and the vines holding them snapped. Next, it hunched its shoulders and charged, fire erupting around it as it prepared for a Flame Charge attack. It bowled over Prinplup and slammed into Meganium, the motion also flinging Charizard from his back. All three members of Team Liberty lay in the dirt, motionless.

“This is horrible,” Dragonite muttered. “This thing is an absolute monster.”

“Did you see that when Prinplup hit it?” Piplup asked. “That thing’s covered in metal armor.”

The Beast turned its steely gaze on Piplup and Dragonite, then fired another blast from its cannon. The two jumped sideways in time to avoid the hit, but they were still caught by the shockwave. Dragonite looked up, shaking his head to clear his thoughts. “And it’s got a cannon. Giratina truly created a despicable beast with his experiments.”

“On the contrary!” Darkrai floated down level with Piplup and Dragonite, while Chimchar moved to stand by them. “This is a wondrous creation, a true miracle of science!”

“It’s a genetic weapon!” Piplup spat. “There’s nothing wondrous about it.”

Darkrai shrugged. “One ‘mon’s miracle of science is another’s despised weapon, as the saying goes.”

“That’s not how the saying goes!” 89 argued. He screamed as a Zap Cannon from the Beast exploded at his feet.

“It’s close enough,” Darkrai said. “Now, before I leave you to your demise, I must ask one question.” He turned to Chimchar. “To you, specifically.”

Chimchar was taken aback. “To me? What?”

“It’s about your title in the prophecy,” Darkrai said. “The rest are obvious. Piplup is the Silver One because of his silver aura. Prinplup is the Warrior Maiden because of her battling prowess. Combusken is the Exiled Prince because, well, that’s obvious. And I am the Shadow King because I am, quite literally, a king of shadows.” He paused and turned back to Chimchar. “But you, you are the Golden Flame. The flame part, I get. But why golden?”

Chimchar scratched his chin for a moment. “Golden? Hmm. . . oh, I know.” He reached back and grabbed the handle of the sword, then drew it from its sheath on his back. The blade flashed golden as he held it forward.

Darkrai screamed in what could only be agony and he held his hands to cover his eyes. Deoxys gasped from where he watched on the ridge. Even the Beast reacted, letting loose a savage roar. Darkrai recovered relatively quickly, once again drawing Umbra from its sheath. He pointed it threateningly at Chimchar. “Drop your weapon,” he said coolly.

Chimchar smiled in understanding. He made a stabbing motion at Darkrai, who ducked back instantly. “Maybe you should just back down.”

“Do you have any idea what you hold in your hand?” Darkrai hissed.

“Something that is a threat to you,” Chimchar said. “You’ve made that apparent.”

Deoxys floated forward to join Darkrai. “That is the other ancient sword, Umbra’s twin and opposite. This is the Angel’s Blade, the King Maker, the Destroyer of Evil, the Sword of Light.”

“The Blade of Evil’s Bane?” Chimchar guessed.

“No, just the other ones,” Deoxys answered. “This is Aureus.”

“Aureus,” Chimchar breathed. “The Sword of Light.”

Slowbro moved down the ridge to stand next to Chimchar. “Excadrill must really think you are the last hope if he entrusted you with this. You’d best take care of it.”

“Will you get away from him?” Darkrai snapped. “Whose side are you on, anyway?”

“I don’t recall ever having chosen one,” Slowbro said evenly.

“You did once,” Darkrai said.

“But you messed that up,” Slowbro said.

Darkrai began to speak, but he stopped. He turned away and began to float away from the crater. “Gothitelle?” he called.

“Yes, Father?”

“Destroy them. Destroy whoever the Beast doesn’t. You can spare your brother and Slowbro, if you wish, but I leave that up to you. Just don’t get destroyed yourself.”

Combusken gasped, unable to believe what he had just heard. Slowbro’s mouth was drawn tight in a line. Darkrai disappeared from sight. Deoxys turned momentarily to look at the others with a melancholy look in his eyes. “I’m sorry for this,” he said shortly. Then, he left on the same path as Darkrai.

At that time, the four Scraggy that had accompanied Combusken began to regain consciousness. They sat up, yawned, and looked around while blinking the sleep from their eyes. Then, they caught sight of the Beast, stood up, and ran like their tails were on fire.

“Cowards,” Dragonite muttered.

“But, but this can’t be. . .” Combusken mumbled incoherently.

“Snap out of it!” Piplup yelled. “You’ve been abandoned, that’s bad, but right now, I’d be more worried about surviving!”

Gothitelle smirked as she stepped forward. “Why even attempt to survive? Even if you manage to escape, the Beast will be left to rampage through the Beyond, destroying everything. No matter what, there is no hope left.”

She fell back as an Aura Sphere hit her in the chest. Froslass quickly moved to catch her, intercepting her fall. “There’s always hope,” Piplup said. “So long as there’s always one fool left to believe in it.”

“Them’s fightin’ words!” Chimchar smiled. “Let’s get this on!”

In response, the Beast let loose another earth-shattering screech. It launched another Zap Cannon, this time directly at Chimchar. He spun Aureus in his hand, neatly slicing the attack in two. “Now we’re talkin’!” 88 said. He jumped to his feet, then took a flying leap at Gothitelle. “Hi-yah!”

Gothitelle laughed out loud as she smashed the Shieldon aside with her Brick Break. “Please. You’re going to have to try harder than that.” She summoned lightning to her fingertips, then fired a double Thunderbolt at Piplup. He jumped above them, only to be hit by a light beam from the Beast.

“Okay, that attack’s really starting to hurt,” he said, rising back to his feet. “It’s a blast from a technological terror, so I think I’ll call it ‘Techno Blast’.”

“Do we really have time to be naming it right now?” Chimchar inquired. In the second that he was distracted, he was hit by a “Techno Blast”, as Piplup had named it.

Gothitelle fired off another Thunderbolt at the same time as the Beast shot a Zap Cannon. Dragonite turned to face them and launched a Hyper Beam, decimating both attacks. However, before he could move, he was hit by an Ice Beam from the Beast. He screamed as it hit, falling back as the ice began to crust over his skin. Piplup hurried to his side. “Dragonite!”

For a single instant, Piplup turned his back on Gothitelle. In that instant, she mustered the most powerful Thunderbolt she could and released it. It bore down on its unaware victim, building its strength as it went.

“Look out!”

Piplup spun to see the Thunderbolt, but knew he could do nothing to stop it. Then, it was blotted out as a figure stepped in the way. Slowbro stuck his hand forward and the Thunderbolt hit him in the fingertips. It coursed down his arm and through his body. Then, he punched the air and it fired back out again, directly at Gothitelle. She gasped as the strike hit the ground beneath her, blasting stones and earth into her face and driving her backward, off balance.

“But-“ Piplup began.

“You take down that monstrosity!” Slowbro ordered, pointing to the Beast, which was busy fighting the reawakened Team Liberty. “I’ll hold her off. You should have an easier time without all of the lightning.” There was a scream as 89 was blasted by a Thunderbolt. “Now go!”

“Right,” Piplup nodded. He turned to Chimchar, who was carefully thawing out Dragonite with a gentle Flamethrower. “Come on, Chimchar.”

“But Dragonite-“

“He’ll be fine, but not if we can’t take out that metal monster.” 88 and 89 simultaneously charged at Gothitelle, but were once again rejected by a Brick Break. “Now let’s get going!”

“Okay,” Chimchar said. There was a screech as Meganium and Charizard were thrown to the ground. Prinplup somersaulted away from the Beast just in time to avoid a Zap Cannon. She stopped next to Piplup and Chimchar.

“I sure hope you two have a plan,” she said breathlessly. “Because I’m fresh out of ideas.”

Piplup scratched his head thoughtfully. “Well, we have to be able to seal this thing if it happened once before. Who were the two Pokemon who did it?”

“Reshiram and Zekrom,” Prinplup answered. “A Dragon and Fire type and a Dragon and Electric type.”

“Hmm,” Piplup frowned. “Fire and lightning.” He turned to Chimchar.

Chimchar shrugged. “It’s worth a shot.”

“Great,” Prinplup said sarcastically. “But where are we supposed to get such a huge source of fire and electricity?”

“I could provide some of the firepower,” Chimchar said.

“But we’re going to need more,” Piplup said. “And I can only see one more source for that.”

Chimchar raised an eyebrow and began to ask, but then realization dawned on him. “Oh.”

“Combusken!” Piplup called. The prince snapped to attention and looked to him questioningly. “Get over here, you idiot!”

“I think you’d better listen,” Slowbro said, deflecting another Thunderbolt from Gothitelle.

“A-alright,” Combusken nodded, hurrying to Piplup’s side.

“Combusken, we need your firepower,” Piplup said. “I realize we’ve had our differences-“

“You mean I’ve tried to capture you and you’ve kicked my butt?”

“Exactly. But now, we need to work together if we’re going to stop this thing.”

Combusken sighed. “I don’t know if I should. This is Darkrai’s plan, and I don’t really think I should go against that.”

“But you know this monster will go on a rampage,” Piplup said. “You know it could very well destroy all civilization in the Beyond, even Darkrai’s own strongholds.”

Combusken stared at his feet and didn’t answer.

“You must know it’s in everyone’s best interests to stop this thing,” Piplup continued. “You know what you have to do. You’re an honorable Pokemon.”

Combusken looked up in surprise. “Honorable?” He stole a quick glance at Slowbro, who was still standing over the fallen figure of Dragonite. “Well. . . I’m in.”

“Great!” Piplup said. “Now, here’s the plan. . .”

Meanwhile, Mismagius and Froslass watched the clash between Gothitelle and Slowbro. “Shouldn’t we go help Gothitelle?” Froslass said. “This is all so confusing. . .”

“I think we’re fine on the sidelines right now,” Mismagius said. “We’re not needed. Gothitelle is handling Slowbro.”

Another deflected Thunderbolt whizzed past Gothitelle’s head, nearly frying her.

“Well, she’s not down yet,” Mismagius corrected. “But she knows what she’s doing.”

“I just don’t know what to do,” Froslass said. “We can’t let Gothitelle down, but if this thing really could destroy everything in the Beyond, then wouldn’t it be in our best interests to stop it?”

“Just try not to form an opinion,” Mismagius said. “Let’s just see how this plays out.”

Their attention was caught by a sudden burst of orange light as Chimchar and Combusken unleashed the greatest Flamethrowers they could muster. The Beast was completely engulfed in flames, but that didn’t stop it from shooting off random Techno Blasts, ravaging the surrounding land.

“Okay, fire seems to be working,” Piplup said. “Those two are holding it back. But where are we supposed to get electricity?”

A misfired Thunderbolt flashed through the air between Piplup and Prinplup.

“I’ve got one idea,” Prinplup said. “Though I’m not sure how we’re going to pull it off.”

“We could ask Gothitelle nicely to help us,” Piplup proposed.

Another Thunderbolt. “Die, maggots! DIE!!!

“You can try that if you want,” Prinplup said. “But I think we need a better plan. And of course, there’s also the fact that we don’t know how to reseal the Beast, even if we do defeat it.”

Piplup paused to ponder the statement. “Well, Darkrai undid the seal with his sword.”

“Umbra, of course!” Prinplup exclaimed. “Which could very well mean. . .”

“That Aureus can redo the seal!” Piplup finished.

“I like the way you think,” Prinplup said.

“Likewise,” Piplup said, blushing. He quickly turned back to the fight. “Chimchar! Get over here!”

Chimchar turned around and hurried to Piplup’s side, the question obvious in his eyes. “What?”

“We’ve got a new plan,” Piplup said. “And we’ll need Aureus.”

“Alright,” Chimchar said, drawing the sword. “Just tell me what to do.”

“Follow my lead,” Piplup said. He turned around for a brief moment. “Prinplup, you know what to do. Combusken, keep the flame burning!”

Combusken growled in exhaustion. “I’m doing my best!”

Piplup shot off an Aura Sphere, which missed Gothitelle’s head by inches. She spun around to face him, scowling. “You!”

“Yep, it’s me!” Piplup beamed. “You know, the one person you’ve failed to catch.”

“Forget this,” Gothitelle spat, turning her back on Slowbro. “I’ll take you down here and now!” Electricity danced across her fingertips.

“Bring it on!” Piplup challenged. He quickly flipped backwards through the air. Gothitelle fired her twin Thunderbolts. Piplup vaulted off the Beast’s head, causing it to roar in frustration. Then, the Thunderbolts hit. For a moment, lightning crackled across the monster’s exoskeleton. Then, the sparks hit Combusken’s Flamethrower, igniting in a massive explosion.

Gothitelle gasped as she realized what she’d done. “Wait! No!”

The Beast let loose an agonizing wail and began to fall forward. However, Prinplup quickly charged forward and tackled it in the chest, knocking it backwards. It sank to its hands and knees in the center of the stone circle while Prinplup and Combusken worked quickly to drag the half-conscious forms of Charizard and Meganium to safety. Dragonite sat up, partly awake, to see Chimchar standing above the fallen purple creature. “Now, Chimchar!” Piplup yelled.

Chimchar nodded as he plunged Aureus into the top of the Beast’s head. As soon as he did, golden fire erupted from the blade, spreading across the body of the Beast and pouring out across the stone, illuminating the runes once again. “Haha! Darkrai was right! I am the Golden Flame!”

Piplup frowned. There was something strange about Chimchar’s laughter, but he’d worry about that later. The seal was reopening.

Everyone watched in absolute enthrallment as golden light filled the air. Chimchar pulled Aureus free and stepped back off of the stone as it grew insubstantial beneath his feet. The Beast roared yet again, causing everyone to cover their ears. It was a ground-shaking roar. It was a roar of agony, a roar of sorrow, a roar of fury, a roar of fear. It attempted to rise to its feet again, but it was already sinking into the pit. It struggled to lift its legs, but to no avail. It continued to fall, flailing the entire time. Soon its arms were stuck as well. It wiggled its shoulders in a last ditch effort to free itself. Then, its red eyes faded away and it disappeared in its entirety. Finally, the golden light vanished and there was no sign that the Beast had ever been freed, aside from the smoldering craters in the hillside.

Chimchar stepped back into the stone circle and pointed Aureus to the heavens. “It is done.”

Hope you all enjoy it!

Next Time: While Piplup and Co. continue on their way to the Resistance HQ, Combusken must make the ultimate decision to go back to Darkrai with Gothitelle or to leave on his own journey. Meanwhile, Dusknoir notices some strange happenings in Treasure Town.

So, who here knows who the Beast is? Pretty much everyone but people who don't pay attention to Japanese game spoilers should know it.
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 5th July 2011 at 5:00 PM.

Author's Profile

Yup. Tis genesect. I hate genesect, it looks really weird. Plus it's the only one that has a gun on it's back. It can use all the attacks seen in that scene.

Ooh! I just found a mistake! Yesss! I finally get to point one out!
    Everyone watch in absolute enthrallment as golden light filled the air. Chimchar pulled Aureus free and stepped back off of the stone as it grew insubstantial beneath his feet.

Shouldn't it be watched?

Also:
    Chimchar stepped back into the stone circle and pointed Aureus to the heaves. “It is done.”

Heavens? Or reference to a pile?
    Last edited by Skitty1CatzRule; 5th July 2011 at 6:46 AM. Reason: I found a mistake!
        Spoiler:- My Sig:

Quote Originally Posted by Skitty1CatzRule View Post
    Yup. Tis genesect. I hate genesect, it looks really weird. Plus it's the only one that has a gun on it's back. It can use all the attacks seen in that scene.

Ooh! I just found a mistake! Yesss! I finally get to point one out!
    Everyone watch in absolute enthrallment as golden light filled the air. Chimchar pulled Aureus free and stepped back off of the stone as it grew insubstantial beneath his feet.

Shouldn't it be watched?

Also:
    Chimchar stepped back into the stone circle and pointed Aureus to the heaves. “It is done.”

Heavens? Or reference to a pile?
    Thanks for pointing out those two mistakes, I'll make sure to fix them.

Author's Profile

Yes you're the Golden Flame Chimchar. Just don't let it go to your head because I see signs of that happening already. lol Awesome Chapter can't wait for more.

EDIT: WOW! I've never realized until now. But it's been over a year since I started reading this series!
    Last edited by ~Silver Aura~; 5th July 2011 at 8:02 AM.

Name: Drainer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

“Reshiram and Zekrom,” Prinplup answered. “A Dragon and Fire type and an Electric and Fire type.”
    My first mistake to point out. The first part is right where you said Dragon & Fire, but Zekrom is Electric & Dragon,not Electric & Fire.

Anyways, everyone knows that the beast is chuggaaconroy's Red Pikmin from Pikmin 1 named Steve Genosect. It seems a bit odd that we'd see it for such a short time. I can see Cinbusken switch sides.

I hope Chimchar isn't turning evil or anything like that....... (If so, Piplup & Chimchar will probably fight each other at the end of the book.)

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Guess what: I've already got the next chapter done! But I'm sending in my laptop to Sony tomorrow, so it may be a week or a little more until the next one. Now, enjoy!

Chapter 16
    The Beast Unsealed

88 gulped. “I don’t care what it is, I’m still terrified of it!”

“I’d be less scared of it if I just knew what to call it,” 89 said.

Okay, let’s call it Steve,” Piplup said. “Now can we please do something now?”

So, who here knows who the Beast is? Pretty much everyone but people who don't pay attention to Japanese game spoilers should know it.
    That part made me lol so the beast is Genesect? Anyway so Reshiram and Zekrom are coming into the plot interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    My first mistake to point out. The first part is right where you said Dragon & Fire, but Zekrom is Electric & Dragon,not Electric & Fire.

Anyways, everyone knows that the beast is chuggaaconroy's Red Pikmin from Pikmin 1 named Steve Genosect. It seems a bit odd that we'd see it for such a short time. I can see Cinbusken switch sides.

I hope Chimchar isn't turning evil or anything like that....... (If so, Piplup & Chimchar will probably fight each other at the end of the book.)
    Okay, thanks for pointing out that mistake, I'll go fix it. Also, "Steve" wasn't initially a reference to chuggaaconroy (though it ocurred to me as soon as I'd typed it), but actually a reference to the movie Over the Hedge, in which they initially name the hedge Steve as a way to not be afraid of it.

Author's Profile

good chapter but i wish the beast would have lasted longer
    PASBL stats
    FB stats
    Virtuadopt clicks

Interested in the PASBL (Pokemon Anime Style Battle League)? Read our Getting Started thread! Got a question? Go to our Q/A thread.

Anyone may ref for me

I really like how you update these chapters a lot! Yeah, I think The Beast is Genosect. Is it just me, or is Aureus almost sound like Arceus? I wonder what's up with Chimchar, too.

Honestly, what could you possible have planned for this next 30 or so chapters, GalladeRocks?

Claimed Pokémon:

Heavens is indeed the correct word here. But indeed the Beast was Genesect; it's the only 'Mon to carry a built-in gun. Moreover, its signature move is Techno Blast, hence the Drives needed to change the type Techno Blast assumes.

As others before me have stated, it was a little disappointing that Genosect only stayed around for one battle; however, I still see why it needed to be put down quickly. Looks like Skitty and Torp found all of the mistakes, so I have nothing to say there.

On a side note, Chimchar's slight personality change is intriguing. My assumption is that Aureus's "mind" is affecting him, changing him to match Infernape's personality. That would be take at it, seems the most logical.

Hmmm a third of the book written so far with more battles, romance, mystery, and humor to come. Just made my interest level peak above 100%. Can't wait for more.

----SS
    credits for pic and banner: Avenger Angel and Brutaka

I have claimed Sceptile

Destiny's Forge: click sig.
    ARD: UNDER REVISIONAL HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

Also read Essense of Law.

This fanfic is the only thing that keeps me coming back to serebii. Another great chapter like always and chimchar, don't go in to the light!

^overworlds made by me^

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast