Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Familiarity Breeds Strategy! (654)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyVaati View Post
    I think Paul and Reggie were discussing the team Ash will use (although I could be dead wrong on that one). When Paul was talking with Dawn however, he was mostly saying that Ash is just like Reggie, but Dawn disagrees, saying that Ash is just, well, himself. And I didn't really get any of what the group were talking about, although I think it might of just been pre-battle banter, so to speak.
    (My Japanese is kind of limited, so sorry if I was wrong on anyting.
    Lol, any translation is good, thanks.

I imagined Teshub when Dawn blushed and ran back to Ash, getting all happy about a chance to add something else to his shipping list

I did think the same thing with Water Gun, but I doubt Drapion would care, it smited Sonicboom like it was thin air, a jet of water might bug it, but I think the writers should have Buizel sonicboom the ground, kick up dust in Drapions eyes, get away, freeze the ground, then skate around whilst gunning Drapion from all angles.

When Gastrodon was letting the water pulse come back down, was Paul intending that as a suicidal thing? Let water pulse take down both Gastrodon and Staraptor?

I gotta say, when Paul caught Dawn spying on him I had a great laugh. Funny scene. Girlfriend sure knows how to stalk. I also loved how immediately after Ash saw her with him she moved to his side. I guess as a sign of who she supported.

Metal Sound affecting eveyone pokemon on the stadium was a nice touch.

This has probably been Pikachu's strongest Thunderbolt. It looked like a tornado was hitting Aggron. O_O

I guess everyone was surprised to see Infernape so early. Bleh...Nice to see Cynthia still remembers it.

I was expecting more for the battle with Infenape. It was rather boring. I guess they are saving the excitement for the last battle of the monkey.

I will never get used to this Gastrodon family being able to expand their bodies like that. It's just creepy to see.

Interesting to see how Paul uses Counter Shield. Glad to see Ash used some of the things Bertha taught on paying more attention. At least he countered Counter Shield easily.

Nice to see Staraptor enduring Muddy Water, Body Slam and Ice Beam.

Ice Aqua Jet! I never thought we'd see it again. Good strategy from Ash.

Is Barry on Paul's side on Ash's? He seems very distraught every time Paul is at a disadvantage.

It was a good episode. Both of Gastrodon's battle were the best. It's starting slow but it seems to be building a lot of tension.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rk_tailed View Post
    Lol, any translation is good, thanks.

I imagined Teshub when Dawn blushed and ran back to Ash, getting all happy about a chance to add something else to his shipping list

I did think the same thing with Water Gun, but I doubt Drapion would care, it smited Sonicboom like it was thin air, a jet of water might bug it, but I think the writers should have Buizel sonicboom the ground, kick up dust in Drapions eyes, get away, freeze the ground, then skate around whilst gunning Drapion from all angles.

When Gastrodon was letting the water pulse come back down, was Paul intending that as a suicidal thing? Let water pulse take down both Gastrodon and Staraptor?
    Gastrodon was watching the water pulse come down, so it would have possible moved by the time it was close enough to strike staraptor.
    On Nov 21, 2010, I'm going on vacation. I'm going to a country to visit two friends and a grumpy oldtimer who are awaiting my return.

Quote Originally Posted by TicoPokemonMaster View Post
    Gastrodon was watching the water pulse come down, so it would have possible moved by the time it was close enough to strike staraptor.
    Ive never seen a slug concentrate so hard.......yeah, probably right. Cheers.

It was interesting how they started with the opening of the fight, then after the opening cut to training, then back to the opening of the fight. I don't think Pokemon has done that kind of thing before. I'm mostly interested, as always, in a translation of the conversations. I want to know what Paul and Dawn were saying as they walked to Ash.

I was thinking also that Gastrodon was going down with Staraptor. I didn't even notice the close combat the ground. Did other people catch that by the move itself or the dialog? That's really hard to tell that Staraptor is using close combat without hearing Ash order it. I thought the exact same as others when Buizel was caught by Drapion, "OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND WATER GUN."

I'm glad Paul was scouting for Pokemon with two Pokemon alone he has forced Ash to switch out three times. Sure they got KOed easily, but look at that outcome has lead to:

What Paul has learned about Ash's team with two Pokemon:
    -Ash is using the same 6 Pokemon in their previous match
    -Infernape has Flare Blitz
    -Ash would still try to use Ice Aqua Jet if Buizel is around
    -Ash would still try to use Counter Shield (which he countered with Drapion's tail)

What Ash has learned about Paul's team with four Pokemon:
    -That Paul has Pokemon that can use counter shield
    -Only three Pokemon that Paul has, two of them which are KOed

Why people are complain that it is out of Paul character confuses me, when has Paul ever tried to be non strategical. If anything Paul seemed to be giving Ash a sense of false confidence.

Just saw the pictures. Is it me or did Gliscor get really, really huge?

Also, what move did Stinktrodon use for Counter Shield, Muddy Water?

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

What on earth was Piplup wearing, it looked horrible.

And Gliscor was huuuge. Anyway good episode.

That was one great episode!
    The second one I've really enjoyed (yes, of DP XD)
    www.mE-Entertainment.net

...hasten to drown into beautiful eyes ♫
    Sig Request Shop

Amazing episode.
    Shinji using Counter Shield? Freaking awesome. Rest of the battle went as expected.

Ok let's see:

-The battle is about to start, but then after the opening Ash is training with Gliscor.
    -Wow Gliscor got bigger!!!
    -Paul is talking with Reggie and then Dawn comes.
    -Dawn will not stop following him(ikarishippers must be happy).
    -I thought Dawn would end up getting mad but wow.
    -What does Barry keep getting mad about?!
    -Ok the battle starts off and that's 1 hell of a metal sound!
    -Pikachu is recalled and Infernape finishes the job!
    -I really wanted to see Ash stupidly make Pikachu use thunderbolt on Gastrodon lol.
    -Staraptor really had a hard time as I thought it would.
    -I knew there was gonna be another ice aqua jet!
    -Yea Buizel won!
    -Oh boy Drapion is gonna be a hell of a problem.....

So the episode ends with Ash still having 6 pokemon left and Paul has 4 left. I gotta say that things are looking good for Ash but things can always turn around.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

JEEZ! It felt like I was waiting forever to see this episode, but it was worth the wait.

Ummm...why is Gliscor so huge now? I don't remember it being that big. I honestly never thought it was going to comeback do to Ash's history of leaving pokemon behind to "train", but I was wrong. I hope it has an impressive battle because I've never found it to be that good so I want to see what it's capable of now.

I wish I knew what Paul was talking about with Reggie, it seemed interesting. I also wish I knew what Dawn said to him to get that semi-shocked reaction out of him and that overreaction from Barry.

Pikachu vs Aggron was good, for such a small pokemon, Pikachu held his own. But Infernape totally swept the floor with it, that Mach Punch kinda took me by surprise and definitely showcased Infernapes power very well.

Another thing I thought I'd never see again was Counter-Shield. Gastrodon used it pretty well in it's battle against Staraptor, I guess Paul really has been studying up on Ash. I don't know what attack that was that Gastrodn used where the water sphere flew into the sky and was going to land on Staraptors head, but whatever it was, it looked powerful and it was smart of Ash to use Close Combat as a way to get Staraptor from under Gastrodon, but too bad it was taken out by Ice Beam soon after.

I'm so glad Buizel got some type of redemption. Once everybody started evolving, he pretty much fell into the shadows. But at least he got a KO in the league against Gastrodon under his belt.

Now judging from the tail end of this episode and the preview of the next, I can see that Paul's Drapion is definitely going to be a problem. It's already got Buizel in it's clutches and I can't wait to see what else it can do.

Overall, I've been waiting for this battle for a long time, and so far, it's not disappointing. Good episode.

Quote Originally Posted by KGB13 View Post
    Ummm...why is Gliscor so huge now? I don't remember it being that big. I honestly never thought it was going to comeback do to Ash's history of leaving pokemon behind to "train", but I was wrong. I hope it has an impressive battle because I've never found it to be that good so I want to see what it's capable of now.

Another thing I thought I'd never see again was Counter-Shield. Gastrodon used it pretty well in it's battle against Staraptor, I guess Paul really has been studying up on Ash. I don't know what attack that was that Gastrodn used where the water sphere flew into the sky and was going to land on Staraptors head, but whatever it was, it looked powerful and it was smart of Ash to use Close Combat as a way to get Staraptor from under Gastrodon, but too bad it was taken out by Ice Beam soon after.
    It must have done some serious training to get big like that. That attack Gastrodon used was Water Pulse.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Yeah okey. =) This seems to be a great start for the Ash - Paul battle arc. First we are thrown right into the start of the battle so we know how the action gonna get started and then we get to see how it went up until that battle. Dawn has done her homework, Conway did learn her how to stalk someone! =)

The battle then, epic first fights with great background music added. Nice to see that Metal Sound affect Mewouth and Piplup as well, not forgetting that they are Pokemon as well. For Piplups new outfit... well I will miss that after the DP saga has ended. =) Buizel got the win he always deserved. All the other matches was great as well, Infernape sure is a powerhouse to be counted with.

All in all, perfect start at the Ash - Paul arc. 8/10
    We say goodbye in the pouring rain
    And I break down as you walk away.
    Stay, stay.
    'Cause all my life I felt this way
    But I could never find the words to say
    Stay, stay.

~ Stay by Hurts

Oh man, this episode was just freakin epic! I loved Reggie being there and watching the battle that was great. I'm assuming Team Rocket is cheering Ash on, they probaly want Ash to beat PaulXD LOL Pipulp's sad outfit, he's a guy though LOL LOL. I liked the animation and the fight itself was just awesome. I like Barry being there, but which side is on? What? Over all, good episode. Its gonna be hard to get through to next week =/
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Okay, this just doesn't seem like Paul to me. It's a good battle, granted, and if it was any other trainer I'd be raving about its brilliance. But where's the Paul who switches regularly, sets up defences and traps (like Light Screen, or purposely paralysing his Ursaring to activate Guts) and constantly keeps his opponent from landing super-effective hits. The one exception is Gastrodon VS Staraptor, which was the only time in the whole match where he clearly had the upper hand, and even then he used an idea borrowed from Ash. I'm just not sure that I buy Paul doing this, especially leading with a pokemon like Aggron (who is vulnerable to the majority of Ash's pokemon typing-wise) who attempted to be a powerhouse and didn't last very long. I just don't think we're seeing the same initiative from Paul as in the last full battle- I would have thought he would use Baton Pass with Ninjask, or maybe set up Hail or Light Screen or something... he just doesn't seem to be planning ahead as much, which I personally see as unfaithful to his character.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage View Post
    Okay, this just doesn't seem like Paul to me. It's a good battle, granted, and if it was any other trainer I'd be raving about its brilliance. But where's the Paul who switches regularly, sets up defences and traps (like Light Screen, or purposely paralysing his Ursaring to activate Guts) and constantly keeps his opponent from landing super-effective hits. The one exception is Gastrodon VS Staraptor, which was the only time in the whole match where he clearly had the upper hand, and even then he used an idea borrowed from Ash. I'm just not sure that I buy Paul doing this, especially leading with a pokemon like Aggron (who is vulnerable to the majority of Ash's pokemon typing-wise) who attempted to be a powerhouse and didn't last very long. I just don't think we're seeing the same initiative from Paul as in the last full battle- I would have thought he would use Baton Pass with Ninjask, or maybe set up Hail or Light Screen or something... he just doesn't seem to be planning ahead as much, which I personally see as unfaithful to his character.
    There was a part of the episode that showed how Ash sent out 4 pokemon already and Paul only used 2. Paul has 4 pokemon that didn't get any hits yet(Drapion included) while Pikachu, Infernape, and especially Staraptor got some damage. + from the looks of it Buizel is gonna get some hits 1st.
    Ash's team right now

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage View Post
    given the team overhaul and what's been going down so far, the notion of the writers "downplaying" Paul so Ash can beat him isn't looking too far off now.

The part when I saw Ash taking a 2 -0 lead first startled me as well. I thought that it looked strange, but then I begun counting. And that scoreboard also gave us the answer in part - we shall by no means think that Ash clearly has the upper hand. Both we and Ash realized that when Paul might have lost two Pokémon he had at the same time exhausted Pikachu and Staraptor, he had forced Ash to use Infernape and Buizel. Now Buizel literally are in heavy claws and he still has 4 Pokémon at almost full force. Ash has just two that are at full health.

So while Paul are not using his so called (by us) famous powerhouse team this seems like a Paul- battle to me. Of course he had hoped not to lose his Pokemon but he is clearly still in the game.
    We say goodbye in the pouring rain
    And I break down as you walk away.
    Stay, stay.
    'Cause all my life I felt this way
    But I could never find the words to say
    Stay, stay.

~ Stay by Hurts

The D/P arc has finally come to the main event that we've all be waiting for, the final battle between Ash and Paul. Everything of their rivalry through the past 4 years has led up to this very moment of them meeting in the league.

Nice to see Ash training with Gliscor to see how well that it's improved during the time it was away from Ash in training. And Oh my God, stop the presses people, it's Mamoswine, one of Dawn's pokemon actually being seen during the League despite not having been seen since the end of the Grand Festival. This is front page worthy.

One thing that I really gotta hand to the writers is how they had pictured the pokemon center as being empty rather than full of trainers like it usually is. It really gives the viewers a feel of how far that we've come in the Sinnoh league with so many trainers have left. It's almost like the tournament arcs in animes when the main character is headed off to the finals and takes one last walk through the now dark and empty hub while seeing the shadows of the people who had been there at the start of the competition. Though this isn't the finals, they've captured the full spirit of the point that they're at in the competition.

Two things I'd like to know though are, what were Paul and Reggie talking about and then what Dawn and Paul were talking about as they walked over to Ash, Barry and Brock.

As for the battle, the first round seemed to go by fast, but it was a great battle with Pikachu putting up a good battle against such a large opponent before Infernape came out to take over. Cynthia even made a comment about Infernape, flashing back to when she battled it as a Chimchar. Infernape showed a nice battle against it having hit it with its now Flare Blitz, burning it, followed by finishing it off with a Mach Punch before it could get off its Flash Cannon.

The next round was also great to watch with Paul having taken the counter shield tactic and used it to bait Ash into a trap of his own, having Gastrodon body slam Staraptor and almost getting it with a kamikaze Water Pulse, though it would have been more deadly if it hand shot it at Staraptor at point blank range. Things aren't looking too good for Staraptor because when Ash recalled it, he was looking pretty tired. Buizel had its own nice battle right after that with the return of its Ice Aqua Jet forcing Gastrodon into the air and it to use Body Slam and finishing it with an Ice Punch to the gut.

It really seems that Pauls now getting serious by sending out his Drapion, who already caught Buizel with its tail and has him at it's mercy. Gotta say with how it stretched its tail out and grabbed Buizel and then reeled him in and turned its head 180 degrees around, I would not want to meet one of these things in a dark alley.

All and all, this is a good start to this battle and even though it seems that Ash has the advantage by being up 2-0, the truth is, Paul now has more of an advantage because although he's lost 2 pokemon, he's been forced to use 4 of his 6 pokemon and Paul knows that this is the same team. This is going to be a hard battle for Ash and Pauls going to force Ash to use every trick he's picked up throughout Sinnoh,

Blue likes the Dancing Trpinch so should you.
    If you approve of Black and White's new anime-only lead Iris, put this in your sig(started by TrainerOfLegend)

What was piplup wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Corzola View Post
    The part when I saw Ash taking a 2 -0 lead first startled me as well. I thought that it looked strange, but then I begun counting. And that scoreboard also gave us the answer in part - we shall by no means think that Ash clearly has the upper hand. Both we and Ash realized that when Paul might have lost two Pokémon he had at the same time exhausted Pikachu and Staraptor, he had forced Ash to use Infernape and Buizel. Now Buizel literally are in heavy claws and he still has 4 Pokémon at almost full force. Ash has just two that are at full health.

So while Paul are not using his so called (by us) famous powerhouse team this seems like a Paul- battle to me. Of course he had hoped not to lose his Pokemon but he is clearly still in the game.
    Out of the four pokemon Staraptor is the only one who's taken the most damage so far, albeit Buizel will more than likely be joining it shortly.

Still look at the ammount of damage Staraptor got, and then look at Pikachu and Infernape's damage, thier damage doesn't even come close, and in the anime pokemon have been known to come back in from little damage to kick severe butt.

The episode kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. My favorite part of the battle was when buizel ice punched Gastrodon. Also I kinda laughed when Paul caught Dawn eavesdropping on him.

If you rooted for Dawn during A Grand Fight For Winning even though you knew she'd lose, then copy and paste this in your signature.

Thing is we have to remember, Infernape has got Paralysis now...

Quote Originally Posted by RuinsofPoli View Post
    Thing is we have to remember, Infernape has got Paralysis now...
    No, he wasn't paralyzed, the blue electricity was the recoil damage from using Flare Blitz.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast