Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Familiarity Breeds Strategy! (654)

The battle was awsome!!! very exciting,
    seriously all of Ash's pokemon so far have been incredible.
    As for Paul, idk I was just a bit disappointed with his Aggron but good battle.
    Anyways, can't wait for next week's episode!!!!!!!

Pokemon fan since 1999

Gliscor clearly hit puberty. How else can you explain growing that much in that short a time? It's bigger than Paul's now ffs.

So far this is a fairly decent battle, but the preview for DP 187 looks truly epic.

Mach Punch as another finishing blow? Sends something that huge flying? Sigh.

Pretty decent episode overall if only because things actually happen. Music was nice in the beginning of the episode. Looks like the writers are finally having Ash use some strategy once again.

Enjoying the start of the big battle i must say decent start off point for them

SHOCKER: Paul using counter shield. I did not expect that one but to be fair now that i think about it makes sense and is quite the interesting twist on things

My predictions were correct with Infernape and Buizel taking the 2 wins

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

great episode alot of plus points.

-paul using counter shield
    - pauls pokemon getting burnt this time
    -TR not getting that much screen time
    - staraptor been raped by gastrodon lol

cant wait for next weeks episode

Heartgold FC: Deadly: 2622-7622-1968

My god. Gliscor must be taking steroids or something. It looks almost as big as Charizard now. I don't remember it ever being that huge. At the most, it was at least Staraptor's size.

The battle is shaping up to be nice, although I don't like the appearance of Counter-Shield from both sides. But it was nonetheless surprising to see Paul use it.

Ice Aqua Jet I wasn't too fond of either. It didn't even look like it hit Gastrodon, merely just the ground in front it. It goes down as one of the cheapest techniques in the anime so far in my book now.

Naturally, Infernape scored the first win. Ash was sort of calculating with it when he ordered Mach Punch after Flare Blitz. He must have known Infernape would be too vulnerable if it tried to use another attack. So nice job on his part.

Paul using a scouting technique is pretty awesome too. He let his first two get knocked out so that he could see what Pokemon Ash would use. He pretty much forced Ash to switch in this battle an because of that, he found out what Pokemon are on Ash's team.

So all in all, the start of this battle is looking nice. If Torterra gets new move, I will be thoroughly impressed.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Quote Originally Posted by darth meanie View Post
    For the record, let it be known that I called the counter-shield way back before this episode ever came out.
    Not impressed.. This is the culmination of Sinnoh. I'll not be surprised if everything has been told will get showcased here, with the only exception being Buizel's Water Pulse/Aqua Jet, and perhaps Torterra's Energy Ball swallowing thing, which to me just seemed like a ploy to get Mamoswine to learn it.

Countershield was used, by Gastrodon and Buizel and 'Iced Aqua Jet' was seen again. I'm fairly sure that there Torterra will use it's 'defensive style' and maybe the Energy Ball power up. Every pokemon will use four moves etc.

Pikachu: Volt Tackle, Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, ??? (Probably Quick Attack)
    Infernape: Flare Blitz, Mach Punch, ???, ??? (Probably Dig, Flamethrower/wheel?)
    Staraptor: Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Close Combat, Brave Bird (very likely)
    Buizel: Aqua Jet, Ice Punch, Water Gun, Sonic Boom
    Torterra: Leaf Storm, ???, ???, ??? (Rock Climb, Energy Ball, Synthesis)
    Gliscor: X-scissor, Fire Fang, Giga Impact, Stone Edge

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalUpkeep View Post
    I quite enjoyed this battle, but since it was relatively short, I think the most important part, emotionally, was the part where Oracion played over.
    Do you mean the nonbattle part? There were like four little parts that weren't part of the battling: Gliscor vs. Mamoswine, Paul and Reggie talking, Dawn and Paul talking, the whole crew talking outside, which took maybe four minutes to handle. Aside from that we got little explanatory comments, which were distributed along the cast nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    Paul using Counter-Shield was a great touch, very impressive idea by the writers. Paul smirking that Ash is using the same team, but he's in for a surprise with their improvements. Loved the use of IAJ and Ice Punch to surprise him and Gastrodon. Infernape's speed was outstanding, a great way of showing it by Aggron preparing an attack and Infernape just...being there. Concerning, though, that Ash has had to use two Pokemon for each of Paul's so far - they're all being steadily weakened, I think it's being set up for a sweep by Electivire or Drapion.

Can Buizel not easily hit Drapion in the face with Water Gun in his current position by the way? >_>
    Thought the same way about Water Gun xD Or Sonic Boom since it's tails can also move freely. Just no Ice Punch and Aqua Jet.

A sweep by Drapion most definitely, I'm sure Paul is saving Electivire to keep his team fresh while baiting all of Ash' pokemon out and, like you said, weakening them steadily.

Loved that Mach Punch was used as a finishermove, the move Monferno used to blow dust in Paul's face after it evolved killed his first pokemon in the league. I guess that was just a little reminder for Paul! I loved the minimal involvement of Team Rocket btw, them supporting Infernape, and James reaffirming Ash' choice of switching it out again was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rk_tailed View Post
    I did think the same thing with Water Gun, but I doubt Drapion would care, it smited Sonicboom like it was thin air, a jet of water might bug it, but I think the writers should have Buizel sonicboom the ground, kick up dust in Drapions eyes, get away, freeze the ground, then skate around whilst gunning Drapion from all angles.

When Gastrodon was letting the water pulse come back down, was Paul intending that as a suicidal thing? Let water pulse take down both Gastrodon and Staraptor?
    Lol, I thought about that Icefield thing a long time ago.. I gave up hope.. Ice Punch's freezing capacity just doesn't go that far. I think Drapion will lunge Buizel in the air and hit it when it can't move from up there. I think Gastrodon's ability Storm Drain attracted the Water Pulse back to it, or gravity set in. Paul told Gastrodon to wait (mate), so I'm sure that it was going to move at the last second.

Quote Originally Posted by Corzola View Post
    Dawn has done her homework, Conway did learn her how to stalk someone! =)
    Priceless! But she didn't really do her homework because she got found out, instead of coming out on her own volition

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage View Post
    Okay, this just doesn't seem like Paul to me. It's a good battle, granted, and if it was any other trainer I'd be raving about its brilliance. But where's the Paul who switches regularly, sets up defences and traps (like Light Screen, or purposely paralysing his Ursaring to activate Guts) and constantly keeps his opponent from landing super-effective hits. The one exception is Gastrodon VS Staraptor, which was the only time in the whole match where he clearly had the upper hand, and even then he used an idea borrowed from Ash.
    Paul is going to sweep since four of Ash' pokemon are already being handled. He's using individual strategies per pokemon he's using. Aggron to lure out the hard hitters and he chose Gastrodon against Infernape so Ash needed to switch and used Counter Shield to lure in Staraptor. Buizel clearly surprised him, but now Buizel is in Drapion's clutches and if Ash' scream is anything to go by, that means that Paul is in control, although be it at a disposition. Paul also has the element of surprise, while he knows all of Ash' pokemon to the point of knowing how to handle them at a basic level.

Light Screen halves the power of special attacks, and Paul is limiting the amount of pokemon he reveals to have the surprise factor. That said, Infernape and Staraptor are physical attackers, and he had them both double covered with switching to Gastrodon and using Countershield to lure in Staraptor and subsequently immobilizing it and catching Ash of guard. He made the mistake not to switch to Electivire when Buizel was send out, but letting Gastrodon stay in that fight wasn't particularly a bad choice either, especially in the vein of keeping the rest of his party on the downlow.. He could've switched to Electivire, but then what would be the point of setting up Light Screen? The only moment he could've chosen to put up Light Screen was when Pikachu was sent out, but he chose Aggron since it can take moves like Iron Tail and Thunderbolt with its bulk, while dealing tons of damage, which would result in a switch, and thus piling on the damage continuously to all of Ash' pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic Hybrid View Post
    Mach Punch as another finishing blow? Sends something that huge flying? Sigh.

Looks like the writers are finally having Ash use some strategy once again.
    Mach Punch is awesome as a finishing move! It's the move Flint's Infernape used against Ash' Infernape to knock it out. That being said, it's the move Monferno learned upon evolving against Paul, and immediatly after blowing dust in his face with it. Knocking out Aggron with this move is nothing less then good writing, and believable since Aggron is 4x weak against Fighting moves.. Plus another thing of note is that Aggron was going to use Flash Cannon but Infernape used Mach Punch as a priority move and shocked Paul even more.
    Last edited by Locormus; 6th August 2010 at 1:57 AM.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    Paul using a scouting technique is pretty awesome too. He let his first two get knocked out so that he could see what Pokemon Ash would use. He pretty much forced Ash to switch in this battle an because of that, he found out what Pokemon are on Ash's team.
    Are people still saying this? Like I said, if he knows Pokemon weak to ice are preparing to battle, he should have saved Gastrodon. Maybe he was scouting............but that was some dumb scouting if so.

Quote Originally Posted by masukippa View Post
    Gliscor clearly hit puberty. How else can you explain growing that much in that short a time? It's bigger than Paul's now ffs.
    What do you think the writers are trying to prove here.....that it really trained on? That it gained serious new power? I thought the exact same thing...apart from being really unimpressed by Giga Impact (fricking knock back Mamoswine at least to justify Cybercubed's happiness), thats not a normal Gliscor.

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Lol, I thought about that Icefield thing a long time ago.. I gave up hope.. Ice Punch's freezing capacity just doesn't go that far. I think Drapion will lunge Buizel in the air and hit it when it can't move from up there. I think Gastrodon's ability Storm Drain attracted the Water Pulse back to it, or gravity set in. Paul told Gastrodon to wait (mate), so I'm sure that it was going to move at the last second.

Mach Punch is awesome as a finishing move! It's the move Flint's Infernape used against Ash' Infernape to knock it out. That being said, it's the move Monferno learned upon evolving against Paul, and immediatly after blowing dust in his face with it. Knocking out Aggron with this move is nothing less then good writing, and believable since Aggron is 4x weak against Fighting moves.. Plus another thing of note is that Aggron was going to use Flash Cannon but Infernape used Mach Punch as a priority move and shocked Paul even more.
    If you watered the field first, then Ice Punched it, the cold would spread?

For the Mach Punch part, were you backing that 3d surround view used vs Khoury and Bertha? I would have loved, just as Infernapes fist was a tiny distance from Aggron's face, to see the shock on Aggrons face with the loading cannon in its mouth, and the vindictive anger on Infernape's face, then the huge impact. The writers miss chances to do some serious good sh*t now

Hm, I'd love to know what Dawn, Reggie and Paul are talking about.

And how did Cynthia recognize Infernape? lol
    Last edited by Kabuto; 6th August 2010 at 3:48 AM.

Look's like Paul's new team isn't doing to well. He isn't switching but Ash is, I guess they had to water down Paul's team for this win to actually happen, but it still look's good. Gliscor is the size Togekiss use to be, that is....weird. Paul and Dawn actually interacting, nice but you'll never see that again. Piplup's new cheerleading outfit was different but not in a bad way, best of all Barry is still around. So the big battle between Ash vs Paul is finally here. It's looking good so far.

don't know why but Reggie was iritating in the episode... kinda reminds me of Flint during Ash vs Volkner... idk what it is.

Paul is disappointing me right now.

He has already lost two Pokémon, Ash none. This isn't the Paul way.

Sure, he has weakend four of Ash's Pokémon but Ash still has six Pokémon to play with, Paul has limited himself to only four Pokémon. Drapion and the other three unknown Pokémon can easily be countered by any of Ash's Pokémon, but Paul's four Pokémon might not be able to counter Ash's six.

This battle is shaping up to be a dissapointment. I really don't want to see Drapion or Electivire doing a sweep like what happened in Ash and Morrison's battle (Steelix sweep). I really don't like sweeps, they seem cheap to me, and that isn't how Paul operates, his team is all evenly trained. The first full battle was much more impressive going by what we've seen so far.

Edit: I LOL'ed when Dawn walked in on Paul and Reggie. Then when she got caught. Piplup's cheerleader outfit is awesome.
    Hopefully this whole episode dedicated to Ash and Paul's battle will make things much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    Look's like Paul's new team isn't doing to well. He isn't switching but Ash is, I guess they had to water down Paul's team for this win to actually happen, but it still look's good. Gliscor is the size Togekiss use to be, that is....weird. Paul and Dawn actually interacting, nice but you'll never see that again. Piplup's new cheerleading outfit was different but not in a bad way, best of all Barry is still around. So the big battle between Ash vs Paul is finally here. It's looking good so far.
    I wouldn't say Pauls team is watered down. Everyone of his Pokemon is strong. Besides Drapion, and Ninjask look like beast. We already know Electivire is strong too. Frolass is a hard call, but I doubt it's weak.

I listened to the conversation between Paul and Reggie twice and I SWEAR I heard Takuto's name mentioned.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Gastrodon almost beat Staraptor and Aggron took no damage from Pikachu.

This team is strong and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

Besides we already saw Monferno beat Ursaring twice, once as a Chimchar and second as Monferno.

^And yet Infernape and Buizel knocked them out with two strikes each.

Offensively they are strong, but other than Drapion(until shown otherwise.) and Electrivire, it seems Paul's pokemon focus so much on offense that they have no defense whatsoever.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    I listened to the conversation between Paul and Reggie twice and I SWEAR I heard Takuto's name mentioned.
    Got the episode downloaded just watched it 5 times and there no Takuto whatsoever Oo go check it again or perhaps i need to clean my ears, :P.

So far Ash winning by knocked out two of Paul's pokemon in the first episode.

Pikachu duels Aggron. (Pikachu got recalled by Ash)
    Infernape duels Aggron. (Using Flare Blitz causing him to get weaken by using it but Aggron got burned due to his ability and next use Mach Punch to knock him out).
    Staraptor duels Gastordon. (Staraptor got stumped by Body Slam, and he about to use water pulse but Staraptor use his wings to escape. Then got shot by Ice Beam. But luckily Staraptor got recalled)
    Buizel duels Gastordon. (Gastordon uses Ice Beam on Buizel, but he use Aqua Jet to perform Ice Aqua Jet to get him. Just Gastordon about to Body Slam, Buizel uses Ice Punch to take him out)
    Buizel duels Drapion. (Drapion begins with Pin Missle then was countered by Buizel's Water Counter Shield. Next he use Cross Poison but was avoided then depose Sonic Boom with his tail and then grab Buizel)

I'm glad that Reggie make his appearance by watching his brother's duel with Ash on TV. Dawn and Brock certainly roots for Ash. I figured Barry rooting for Paul since he was his idol.
    I am here to help others to solve their problem,and I'm also the big fan of Kissshipping.

FC: 3737-9549-2888
    IGN: Shego

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Light Screen halves the power of special attacks, and Paul is limiting the amount of pokemon he reveals to have the surprise factor. That said, Infernape and Staraptor are physical attackers, and he had them both double covered with switching to Gastrodon and using Countershield to lure in Staraptor and subsequently immobilizing it and catching Ash of guard. He made the mistake not to switch to Electivire when Buizel was send out, but letting Gastrodon stay in that fight wasn't particularly a bad choice either, especially in the vein of keeping the rest of his party on the downlow.. He could've switched to Electivire, but then what would be the point of setting up Light Screen? The only moment he could've chosen to put up Light Screen was when Pikachu was sent out, but he chose Aggron since it can take moves like Iron Tail and Thunderbolt with its bulk, while dealing tons of damage, which would result in a switch, and thus piling on the damage continuously to all of Ash' pokemon.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Light Screen was used just a shield in general? I thought it just blocked attacks regardless--I thought we even saw it block a physical one when Electabuzz used it.

That was Protect if I'm not mistaken.

Brock even said that Light Screen lowers the damage of "Special" based attacks. Not all attacks. It didn't show up when Monferno fought Electabuzz because it was using primarily Physical attacks.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

-The hell is up with that outfit Piplup's wearing? It's positively ridiculous!
    -Good to see they're wasting no time getting to the battle. Not that I'd expect any less considering how manay episodes they're dedicating to this thing.
    -Oh wait, now we're flashing back to before the battle. Stupid teaser openings!
    -Brock's reaction to Jun's sudden V pose is simple, yet amusing
    -And now we get a flashback to Ash getting his ass kicked in the last full battle he had against Paul. Yawn.
    -Dawn seems to think that Piplup's hideous get-up is cool. She clearly went crazy from losing the Grand Festival.
    -Further evidence for my theory: Dawn going into ninja mode when she sees Paul talking on the phone in the lobby, then assuming Paul cares when he notices her.
    -Why was the interior of the Pokemon Center so dark when it's daylight outside and the building has windows everywhere?
    -I'm sure this conversation would be very meaningful if I could understand any of it besides "Reiji", "nakama", and "Satoshi."
    -Once again, I'm loving the facial expressions in this episodes. They've clearly been saving all the awesome animators for the League arc.
    -You know what? I take back what I said about the writers cutting the crap and getting us straight into the action. I take it back a thousandfold. (not that I MIND the plot parts, but the intro to this episode was a total cocktease)
    -And of course the instant I start thinking that, we get to the battle.
    -The way the anime's decided to handle the burn effect has hilarious consequences with something as big as Aggron!
    -There's something adorable about watching TR cheer for Ash for a change.
    -It's a counter shield! From Paul! The writers had Ash keep reusing that for a reason! (other than making it look like he could actually use strategies beyond "fly at the seat of his pants", that is)
    -Using Close Combat on the ground so that Staraptor can get away? Clever!
    -Ice Beam was used without anything freezing. Did this episode wander into an alternate universe without anyone noticing?
    -Gastrodon getting KOed by Ice Punch seems...anti-climactic, somehow.
    -And the episode ends on a cliffhanger! Will Buizel get knocked out? Probably; Ash isn't gettng through this thing without losing any of his Pokemon.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Episode description:

First off, this episode was epic. Tomioka really got you invested in the battle, and all this extra time makes the battle far more detailed and interesting, both on and off the field. I'm posting Endless_Summer's translation of the Dawn/Paul walk.

Spoiler:- Walk translation:
    A lot of Ikariishippers are using this to try and prove their ship, but really it never focused on that. If anything, Paul's attacks on Ash get Dawn to defend him (Ash). Not to mention her jumping over to Ash the moment she realizes where she is. If anything, this episode was more about Pearlshipping than Ikariishipping...

Now, the most interesting part of this conversation was near the end. That was when Dawn mentioned what Cynthia had said about "When two people meet, something new is born." Dawn then speculates as to what that might be. The question is, what is this foreshadowing for?

Anyways, on to the battle:

Pikachu vs. Aggron: Good starting battle. Pika takes two "hits" (Metal Sound and the rolling scene when Volt Tackle "backfired"). Immediately called back (good call). He'll be alright for later though, especially since he has time to rest.
    Infernape vs. Aggron: Infernape takes some (probably minimal) damage from a deflected Flare Blitz (take-down with rockhead means no recoil and limited damage from FB, at least in the anime for that second part...). Aggron charges up another Flash Cannon annnndd WHAM. He gets KOed by a sick Mach Punch. Infernape is recalled when Gastrodon was sent out. Infernape will be fine for later, he took minimal damage, and will have time to rest.
    Staraptor vs. Gastrodon (1:0): Gastrodon uses Mud-Counter-Shield, countering Staraptor's physical attack nature. Attempted counter with Aerial Ace, which backfires when Gastrodon jumps on him. One Kamikaze Water Pulse later and it could have been over for both (Paul says something that shocks Brock, Dawn, and Barry, not sure what). Close combat, and both are out. Staraptor hit by Ice Beam, not frozen, recalled. Staraptor won't be 100&#37; for later, it took three shots (Mud CS, Body Slam, and Ice Beam).
    Buizel vs. Gastrodon (1:0): Another Ice Beam backfires with Ice Aqua Jet. Body Slam is countered quickly by Ice Punch, and down goes Gastrodon. I think both Gastrodon and Aggron were "throw-aways" to probe Ash's team. The rest are going to be trouble. Anyways though, Buizel did a great job getting a win (finally!).
    Buizel vs. Drapion (2:0): Uh oh... Pin Missile is countered by ... counter shield. Paul expects this, and tries to surprise them with a Poison... Cross? Buizel dodges, and uses the water from the Counter Shield to do a Link-like Back Slice, finishing off with a Sonic Boom! But Drapion blocks with his tail and grabs Buizel. Someone's in trouble :P

Anyways:

The two seem to be swapping strategies. Paul took Counter-Shield, and Ash took "switch your pokemon out". At least Ash still had his own Counter-Shields and Ice-Aqua-Jet (Dawn went crazy over that).
    Last edited by Facescar; 6th August 2010 at 11:17 AM.
    FanFiction Profile! (3/1 update: What's Left Unsaid, Chpt. 6)
    Please leave a review to help me improve!
    Click here for story progress updates

finally a tournament battle that actually felt like a tournament battle. nando felt like it was way way better in the previews which is just sad.

ash vs conway and paul vs barry were both lacking i think it was mainly the pacing that made those two seem more like a talk fest and less like a battle.

talking is fine as long as it feels natuaral or like both parties decided to take a breather or one has a clear upper hand the two previous episodes failed at this but this one felt great.

how unfortunate that the first sinnoh league battle worth seeing is going to be the second or third to last battle in the intire league.

Overall this is a good battle so far. There's 2 things that's odd in this battle so far:

1) Staraptor missed the aerial ace and got hit by body slam? This is almost impossible. Staraptor's speed together with the accuracy of aerial ace CANNOT possible missed s a slow pokemon like Gastrodon.

2) Buizil Ice punch KO Gastrodon? That's very hard to believe. From the angel, Gastrodon's body is falling towards Buizil's ice punch, so it could be a critical hit. But even so, it shouldn't be strong enough to KO Gastrodon, because ICE aqua jet doesn't seem to do any damage what so ever.

I knew it. As soon as the battle starts people stop *****ing about Paul using new Pokémon.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast