Thread: Pokemon is losing its appeal to me...

Default Pokemon is losing its appeal to me...

I started playing Pokemon during the RBY days back in 1999. I grew up playing and loving monster raising games, and pretty much the only games I play are either Pokemon, Digimon, and Megaman. Megaman is pretty dead now though...

I played at least 1 copy of each main series Pokemon since RBY. And I am getting really tired of the repetition of the main games.

Let us break it down:

RBY, the original hype. Everyone and their mom was into Pokemon. It was a worldwide phenomenon. Gaming-wise, it was one of the few games that allows you to customise your party using up to 151 characters, and it allowed for Trading. These made it pretty special at the time.

GSC, still riding on the original hype, and the new games felt like a neo generation. The games were awesome. More Pokemon, more lore, 2 regions, and the ability to battle Red. The Anime started to become repetitive though, and many fans started to grew out of it.

RSE, just being on the GBA and having a better colour palette gave it an edge over the older games. The Anime had better animation and started to become slightly more focus rather than being all over the place. However, overall for me things were not as fun as the previous 2 generations.

DPPT, again being on a new system, having 2 screens, and also the very first time we can play online hyped it a lot. Also more players started to take note of the competitive aspects of the games, Breeding, and EV Training became more widespread. Shiny hunting was also a thing with Chaining.

BW, BW introduced nothing really special... just a new region and more Pokemon. Heck, I remember you had the play Flash games to get and grow Berries and get some special Pokemon. It was more of a hassle than anything.

XY, due to generation 1 pandering. The games were hyped to the max, and they delivered. I loved Mega evolution, I loved the nostalgia it gave me that also attracted a lot of players back to game. They made Breeding a lot easier, and even casuals that came back to the game started Breeding. Not to mention it was the first time the game was in 3D. These games for me was the absolute peak.

SM, tried to change the format by introducing Trials and removing Gyms, and it also gave us Z moves. To be honest, not very interesting at all... It just feels stale.

Perhaps it is because I played these games for 20 years already...

On the other hand, I have been playing some the of modern Digimon games recently and they are awesome.

Let's take Digimon Story: Cyberslueth for example as it is closest to Pokemon in terms of game play.

Firstly, being on the PS4 meant better graphics.

Secondly, it dares to portray a very mature story line. Though the story line is kind of bad as the first half of the game doesn't focus on Digimon at all. But it dares to portray things like organ smuggling...

Thirdly, it encourages players to raise a lot of monster by making it extremely easy to level up. By end game you can carry around a Party of 10 Digimon, and level them all up to max level in less than an hour.

Fourthly, there is no such thing as IVs or EVs. If you keep grinding on the same Digimon they will become stronger until they hit the same cap of their species. No need to take note of IVs or EVs. While, there are Personality that improve certain stats of a Digimon, you can easier buy an item to change it.

All in all, it is a lot less stressful than Pokemon, and their designs are a lot cooler too. The new Digimon World game while a different genre have been pretty good too.

I have no idea why I feel this way. But Pokemon is really losing its appeal to me. I will still buy and play the games, but I can't feel the same way as before. Especially when I think of raising a new Pokemon I do not feel happy at all because I have to go through choosing the Nature, Breeding, thinking about the movesets, grinding and taking note of the EVs. It just feels like a chore.

Kutie Pie is offline 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

Quote Originally Posted by MadaMada View Post
    I have no idea why I feel this way. But Pokemon is really losing its appeal to me. I will still buy and play the games, but I can't feel the same way as before. Especially when I think of raising a new Pokemon I do not feel happy at all because I have to go through choosing the Nature, Breeding, thinking about the movesets, grinding and taking note of the EVs. It just feels like a chore.
    Then start playing the games how you want to play it, or just stop altogether if you're unhappy. If Pokémon's becoming unappealing to you, then it's a sign that you're moving on to bigger, better things because you're realizing the franchise just isn't for you anymore--technically, it hasn't for many years. While it's never going to have another worldwide phenomenon that was 1998-2000, Pokémon's changing with the times for better or for worse, but as long as the kids still play it and enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Though yes, Digimon > Pokémon.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 14th January 2018 at 6:57 PM.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2016 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 9 - 11/26/17 / Handle with Care: Chapter 11 - 1/10/18

Welcome to the club. There's a lot of people which are unhappy with the series right now for various reasons ranging from being too easy, too linear, having too little content, phasing gameplay features in and out, too much 1st gen pandering. Just stop buying the games and maybe Game Freak will actually learn something.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

No one says you have to continue playing Pokemon. My brother and I started playing when the first games came out stateside, and he's completely turned away from the franchise for the reasons you've outlined.

(And I'm stoked to play the second Cybersleuth game--all I need is access to my PS4. But if I recall Digimon Story games were at one time as repetitive as Pokemon games could be. That's just how mascot series are.)

Villain Multi-shipper ~ A Proud Supporter of
    HardenShipping | PerfectWorldShipping | DarkParadiseShipping | AbsoluteControlShipping | AntiGravityShipping
    Walking the Trainer's path since 1997/8
    UPN | BGf
    =Friend Code= 2208 - 5726 - 0181
    Friend Safari [NORMAL] Dunsparce, Kecleon, Eevee
    IGNs
    X - エクス | Y - ワイ
    OR - コウリン | AS - セイラン
    Sun - コウライ | Moon - ひょうりん
    Ultra Sun - カイキ | Ultra Moon - ふくえん
    I have claimed Silvally, Touken Ranbu (PC), and Oda Nobunaga (Sengoku BASARA series)
    ★いつでも「KON」って行け! 狐が最高★

I still enjoy Pokemon on a basic level, but the modern direction is losing me. Increased focus on narrative has made for suffocating adventures, and the 'Flavor of the Year' approach to game design is starting the hurt the playing experience more and more. We aren't just losing recreational features and sidequests like Contests or Walking Pokemon, but huge innovations like the Player Search System and DexNav, which influence the core gameplay in meaningful ways. All for the sake of making each Generation 'unique'...This more than anything has gotten me to question whether or not future games and whatever they introduce are worth checking out.
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 14th January 2018 at 11:16 PM.
    The Champ ~

Check it, I have been a huge fan of Mortal Kombat since I was four years old. It is what inspired to go to college and become a composer.

And now I doubt I'll play any new MK game Netherrealm Studios releases. There can come a time where a series just isn't what it used to be for you, and when that happens, no matter how painful it may be, you must accept that and move on.

Maybe one day you'll feel a desire to return to the series. Maybe something within you will revive your love for Pokémon. Until that day, don't lie to yourself. It's time to leave the franchise behind, at least for now.

I still play Pokémon today but sometimes I'm more interested into playing it and other times I'm not. I started playing around the end of Gen 3 and for the next three generations I was able to play a lot of Pokémon without getting bored and I remember it being really fun back in the day. Gen 6 was the most notable for me because of the Mega Evolutions, introduction of the Fairy type and the transition to 3D. Sun and Moon was also very hype because it was also the 20th anniversary but after many days of playing, I stopped playing for a while and then USUM came. I quickly went through the main game but I wasn't as motivated to go through the postgame maybe because I felt that not as many people played USUM compared to SM back then.

"The Dragon that is immune to Dragon and the Fairy that is weak to Fairy."
    Sugimori art used; Peace to Dragons and Fairies
    Banner created by me

I've been playing Pokemon since back in 1999 as well and I started to feel the way you describe around Gen 5. I think it was a sort of Andy from Toy Story moment (I was 16 when it started and 18 when it ended) coupled with the fact that the games were all a bit samey. Plus as an OG fan with some very firm favourites I was NOT a fan of Black/White only having new Pokemon so I sort of dropped the franchise for that whole gen.

Then some point before the announcement of X/Y I discovered Nuzlockes and it sort of reinvigorated my love of the franchise. When I was a kid I was satisfied with cool monsters fighting like they did in the anime, but nuzlocke rules added a level of challenge that the older me needed to maintain an interest. Plus the switch to full 3D in Gen 6 was very exciting so that all worked together to suck me back in. Where I live Pokemon stopped being cool during Gen 2 so I was a lone Pokemon fan and never really got into competitive before WiFi was a thing. And by then the cat was out of the bag with IV's and EV's which to me turned Pokemon into competitive maths (which is all any RPG is I suppose) and that seemed a bit boring and paint by numbers. But it didn't bother me too much because like I said I was never really interested in competitive.

I don't know think its fair to compare it to Digimon. I was always 100% Pokemon when it would come up in the playground (but tbh I'd watch anything anime and I liked that Digimon could theoretically "happen" to me because it was sort of set in the real world) though now I'm older and wiser, and can recognise a "Pokemon of the Day" filler episode when I see one I'll concede the anime is better. But R/B/Y are better than the tamagotchi things and the first Digimon World which was maddeningly difficult for a 5-6 year old. And that's part of the reason the comparison doesn't really work to me.

Aside from the monster raising aspect and them coming about around the same time the two franchises haven't been that similar. Pokemon struck gold with a video game format that worked right away so they stuck with it and still do. And why not, its still making a ton of money. Where as Digimon never really nailed down a game format in the beginning, which meant they had less financial success but also had the freedom to experiment with new ideas (even in the anime) rather than churning the same basic format for a new generation of kids.

Plus Digimon always felt a little more mature even back in the day. Sure Bye Bye Butterfree was a bit of a tear jerker and Ash got turned to stone once for like a minute. But Wizardmon straight up DIED and it was harrowing, not to mention Piedmon was such potent nightmare fuel for me as a kid that I must have blocked it from my memory because I had a super weird flashback experience when I revisited the original anime in my late teens. And all of that makes me think people holding out hope that Pokemon will deviate from its gold mine to hit some more mature themes are hoping in vein. The Pokemon cash cow is still doing better than Digimon as it, so why would they take any cues from someone whose never been able to do what they do as (commercially) successfully.

It makes sense to me that someone who is struggling to maintain an interest in Pokémon as they grow up, isn't so much with Digimon. I mean had I been 16 in 2000 and not 6 I might have only ever been interested in Digimon.

Yeah, Sun & Moon really knocked the wind out of my sails with regards to the games, making USUM the first Pokemon games in ten years that I haven't bought on launch day. Alola was a fun region and the games were good, but they just didn't quite feel like Pokemon in my opinion. Now, Gen VII weren't the first games to make me go 'you know, I just might be getting too old for this', but the earlier generations were good regardless. Unova was a breath of fresh air in its determination to step away from the franchise's roots, and Kalos was a love letter to the old games as if to compensate for it - and I loved both. BW and XY are both favourites (not to mention ORAS, which I adored), but SM represented, for the first time, a failure of the Pokemon brand to deliver that feeling of awe, scale and amazement. I liked them; I didn't love them. For any other game, that would be enough, but for Pokemon I have higher standards.

So perhaps I am just getting old. I'm 23 now (as of today, as a matter of fact) so I sit squarely outside of their target demographic. And that's okay. I was just naively hoping that they'd continue to make Pokemon games that I could enjoy forever.
    It's short for Misheard Whisper. I'm just stuck this way till the next name change thread.

Chapter 4 is out!

Quote Originally Posted by M-Dub View Post
    Yeah, Sun & Moon really knocked the wind out of my sails with regards to the games, making USUM the first Pokemon games in ten years that I haven't bought on launch day. Alola was a fun region and the games were good, but they just didn't quite feel like Pokemon in my opinion. Now, Gen VII weren't the first games to make me go 'you know, I just might be getting too old for this', but the earlier generations were good regardless. Unova was a breath of fresh air in its determination to step away from the franchise's roots, and Kalos was a love letter to the old games as if to compensate for it - and I loved both. BW and XY are both favourites (not to mention ORAS, which I adored), but SM represented, for the first time, a failure of the Pokemon brand to deliver that feeling of awe, scale and amazement. I liked them; I didn't love them. For any other game, that would be enough, but for Pokemon I have higher standards.

So perhaps I am just getting old. I'm 23 now (as of today, as a matter of fact) so I sit squarely outside of their target demographic. And that's okay. I was just naively hoping that they'd continue to make Pokemon games that I could enjoy forever.
    It's not a matter of age. The game's concept can appeal to any age range and there are still things about it that adults can like (such as the battling mechanics). The problem is that Game Freak is pandering to the lowest common denominator and trying to casualize the game to hell. You're not outgrowing the series, Game Freak's just making it worse.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    It's not a matter of age. The game's concept can appeal to any age range and there are still things about it that adults can like (such as the battling mechanics). The problem is that Game Freak is pandering to the lowest common denominator and trying to casualize the game to hell. You're not outgrowing the series, Game Freak's just making it worse.
    Very true.

This is why I very much hope the Switch title takes a turn in the right direction. Since console RPGs are more often played by adults than children, the marketing may likely have to change to push the game towards a more profitable demographic, and thus the gameplay itself may change to suit that demographic. This would be sensible anyhow, given more than half of Pokémon players are now above the age of 16.

We'll just have to wait and see, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfFacade View Post
    Very true.

This is why I very much hope the Switch title takes a turn in the right direction. Since console RPGs are more often played by adults than children, the marketing may likely have to change to push the game towards a more profitable demographic, and thus the gameplay itself may change to suit that demographic. This would be sensible anyhow, given more than half of Pokémon players are now above the age of 16.

We'll just have to wait and see, though.
    Well again, Pokemon's concept can appeal to pretty much anyone. It's less a matter of what gameplay style a certain age demographic likes and what gameplay style can appeal to the hardware's demographic. The marketing definitely needs to change, but not because the age range is different, but simply because they're now on console and the console market has different expectations. This is the same console that has large scale, open ended experiences like BotW and Mario Odyssey, making another linear region with minimal content is going to pale in comparison and the Switch's audience is not going to be particularly receptive to the RPG equivalent of Angry Birds. The closer the Switch game comes to BotW/Odyssey, the better off it's going to be.

There's no such thing as "outgrowing" the series regardless of how many people say otherwise. I have relatives who are 40+ who regularly play Pokémon still.

But as it goes for appeal, Pokemon isn't losing its appeal for me yet personally. In fact, it's only been a few years since I got back into the franchise if I'm being completely honest.

Credit to Satomine Night for this banner. <3

Indeed, I too found gen 7 to be really lackluster - SM got me out of my Stockholm Syndrome for a bit (still haven't got USM). I mean don't get me wrong, SM weren't absolute dogsh!te (a Pokemon game's still a Pokemon game) but it felt like the game's really lacked substance and the charm the previous games had IMO, which is such a shame given the immense amount of hype they seemed to have had pre-release. Having said all that though, I definitely wouldn't say I've lost interest in Pokemon as I would happily replay a game like HGSS right now if I could, and I'd say there's a pretty high chance I'll be getting the gen 8 games on release.

Here's hoping Switchmons delivers for us

I will say, there is a difference between people losing their fascination with Pokemon naturally as they become older, and being turned away by game design choices or a shift in direction...If someone can still find joy in the older games, but not one of the more recent ones, then it could very well be a matter of how the games are built. They still like Pokemon, but not everything that's being done with it.
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 18th January 2018 at 12:51 AM.
    The Champ ~

I see the Pokemon series as way to escape reality and go on an adventure across a distant land where I can befriend a variety of creatures. Looking back on all the games I've played I feel that most entries in the main series have delivered on that, notably Generations 1 - 6.

It wasn't until Generation 7 that my opinion on the series started to change. The main reasons being the overall premise for SM/USUM was to pretentious and ambitious with the introduction of Ultra Space, Ultra Beasts, and the Pokemon Multiverse. Additionally the story seemed were more focused on Lilly and Nebby, not the player character. Most of the time I'm thinking when will these cutscenes end? I just wanna raise Pokemon!

Suppose I prefer the simple storytelling of the past games, a non-intrusive plot to point you in the right direction. I'm hoping Generation 8 on the Switch will be more enjoyable than Generation 7 was in it's entirety.

I guess my problem with Pokemon is that it never really lived up to my expectations even as kid.

As kid watching the Anime every Saturday. I was super excited to see what happens, to see a plot progression. The first 20 episodes or so shown a lot of promise. Ash caught all 3 starters. Encountered the Team Rocket on SS Anne. Got the first 6 badges rather quickly; though half were fluck. Got a Charizard. As a kid I was excited. I wanted to see Ash raise lots of strong Pokemon, dash up to Team Rocket HQ and have a big show down with Giovanni and Mewtwo. But alas, 20 years later and nothing happened. The closest we got was XY, and he still lost the Pokemon League. Totally raped my childhood right there.

While Digimon gave me the Anime I want, the Anime became worst overtime, and the games were pretty lackluster after the first PlayStation Station 1 game... While Pokemon pretty much stuck to the same success formula. 6 Pokemon, 8 gyms, new region, about 100 Pokemon each generation, a Anime that keep repeating its formula, and a lot a lot a lot of marketing. When Pokemon first came out, everyone said it was craze that would go off soon. But it stuck around. And today, I can say Pikachu is as famous as Mickey Mouse. It would not even be an understatement to say Nintendo can pretty much replace Mario with Pikachu at this point.

But I guess Pokemon never really grew up. While the modern era of Digimon games definitely captures the adults heart. With a darker plot, more mature character designs; you literally drool at the girls, and less stressful gameplay.

The developers of Digimon learned from the past games. Digimon World was great, but there was a lack of guidance. Okay, great, we give you all the guidance you want in Next Order. Digimon World 2 and the Digimon Story games on the DS were far too grindy. It was too difficult and time consuming to get the Digimon you want. Okay, great, here you go, now there is a special ability and item you can get early game where you can easily grind all the Digimon you want in less than an hour.

I appreciate how XY made breeding easier. But at the end of the day, it is still gambling with RNG. I appreciate how Sun Moon introduces bottle caps of IV training. But getting to level 100 is still an end game thing. You are still stuck with Nature that cannot be changed. You still need to do EV training.

Ultimately, Pokemon is meant as a fun game, and a hidden competitive aspect. It is a game where casuals can play on the train and enjoy, while the hardcores need to spend 100 of hours grinding. It lacks the cool aspect for mature audience. But as someone said in this thread Pokemon probably wasn't for me for a long time already.

Then Pokemon I ultimately want to see in my heart is a game that is able to capture the cool aspect of the Black 2 and White 2 trailers and the Generations anime shorts. And those Anime and the real feeling of the game are just worlds apart.

Quote Originally Posted by MadaMada
    Ultimately, Pokemon is meant as a fun game, and a hidden competitive aspect. It is a game where casuals can play on the train and enjoy, while the hardcores need to spend 100 of hours grinding. It lacks the cool aspect for mature audience. But as someone said in this thread Pokemon probably wasn't for me for a long time already.
    I think you've said it best right here. Even though it's totally not something to get this worked up over, it sounds like you already know your feelings and aren't going to change them. It's what you make of it. I felt the same way about the animé for many years, but I know it's supposed to be able to continuously repeat itself and go on for many many years, so I let myself enjoy what it is. I know the games are also made so kids can enjoy them, so I take them for what they are and enjoy what I can. Comparing it so much to Digimon doesn't make any sense because they are widely different things, but you've made it clear which you think is better and how that's making you not like the other very much.
    The Ruby Report
    coming soon