View Poll Results: No

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

7 13.73%
  • NO!

1,000,000 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 796 of 877 FirstFirst ... 696746786792793794795796797798799800806846 ... LastLast
Results 19,876 to 19,900 of 21912

Thread: The Pokemon Questions Thread Again!

What are pokemiles actually used for?
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the amazing banner.

Pokegyms Ice leader. Masters league Steel leader.

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fighting View Post
    What are pokemiles actually used for?
    http://serebii.net/xy/pokemiles.shtml

There is a person in a Pokémon Center in Lumiose City who will let you trade in your PokeMiles for items. In the Global Link, you can use them to play the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonair7 View Post
    http://serebii.net/xy/pokemiles.shtml

There is a person in a Pokémon Center in Lumiose City who will let you trade in your PokeMiles for items. In the Global Link, you can use them to play the games.
    If you buy the items on Global Link instead of in Lumiose, they cost half as much.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    If you buy the items on Global Link instead of in Lumiose, they cost half as much.
    Well money isn't exactly hard to get with the battle chateu and bargain o-power so it would probably be cheaper anyway if you have bargain power LV.3. And BP are more useful and harder to get so it makes more sense to take BP.

Well money isn't exactly hard to get with the battle chateu and bargain o-power so it would probably be cheaper anyway if you have bargain power LV.3. And BP are more useful and harder to get so it makes more sense to take BP.
    These items cost PokeMiles, not money. PokeMiles aren't easy to collect in large numbers, and you can buy things like Max Revive, Rare Candy, and PP Up with them that you can't usually get in-game. What I was saying is that you can purchase these items in Lumiose for PokeMiles, but if you get them on the Global Link instead, they cost half as much. It's better to get them on Global Link because it's harder to collect PokeMiles than it is to collect money.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

How long do you get locked out of PokeBank for after you get DCd?

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy Chibi View Post
    How long do you get locked out of PokeBank for after you get DCd?
    as far as I'm aware nobody knows at this time.

What we do know is, you'll get 30 days after you've begun your trial, and there's a countdown on bank itself to keep you updated.
    Last edited by AceTrainerBen; 22nd February 2014 at 9:14 PM.
    My Safari is GROUND with PHANPY & NINCADA
    Friend Code: 1246-9924-8434

MY GEN 5 DREAMWORLD FEMALES: N/A until My PokeBank is complete!, I still have half left to go, sorry

I also have Pokerus that I can spread, just ask.
    PLEASE RESPECT THE FACT THAT I ONLY ACCEPT LEGITIMATE POKEMON.
    I WILL NOT ACCEPT EXTERNALLY MODIFIED, RNG'D, GLITCHED, CLONED OR ANY KIND OF CHEATED POKEMON, THANK YOU.

I don't understand the fairy type.

I know what Pokémon has them, but I don't understand what makes one a fairy-type.

With Granbull and Clefable it's easy to understand they're fairy type. But with every other Pokémon, I don't get it. How does being a lollipop with a face make one a fairy-type? What does Gardevoir have to make it a fairy-type? It doesn't even look like a fairy. And lastly, how does being a keychain with face make one a fairy-type?

The fact that Klefki and Slurpuff are fairy types is something I don't get. If they're fairy types because they are living inanimate objects, then why isn't Vanilluxe one as well?

With every other type it's easy to understand what qualifies for each Pokémon to be the type they are. If a Pokémon has the ability to control fire, it's obviously a fire type, if a Pokémon's body is made of steel and it as defensive as steel, it's a steel type, if a Pokémon lives in the ocean, it's a water-type. But what qualifies as a fairy-type?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
    I don't understand the fairy type.

I know what Pokémon has them, but I don't understand what makes one a fairy-type.

With Granbull and Clefable it's easy to understand they're fairy type. But with every other Pokémon, I don't get it. How does being a lollipop with a face make one a fairy-type? What does Gardevoir have to make it a fairy-type? It doesn't even look like a fairy. And lastly, how does being a keychain with face make one a fairy-type?

The fact that Klefki and Slurpuff are fairy types is something I don't get. If they're fairy types because they are living inanimate objects, then why isn't Vanilluxe one as well?

With every other type it's easy to understand what qualifies for each Pokémon to be the type they are. If a Pokémon has the ability to control fire, it's obviously a fire type, if a Pokémon's body is made of steel and it as defensive as steel, it's a steel type, if a Pokémon lives in the ocean, it's a water-type. But what qualifies as a fairy-type?
    Because Fairies extends beyond the pink cutesy pixies that current media shows them to be.

Klefki is most likely due to it being a prankster and kleptomanic, traits shown in fairies in some tales. Gardevoir's design is also somewhat based upon a certain armor. Spritzee is most likely due to scents and not having a possible better type assigned for it, the same with the Swirlix line, unlike the Vanillite line which would obviously be Ice.

Why has the day-care women always given you attitude when you leave a Pokemon? She says: 'Fine, we'll raise your X for a while'. The use of the word 'fine' suggests she is unhappy and doesn't actually want to raise your Pokemon. 'Fine' is a word you would use if you're reluctantly agreeing to something and in this case she's reluctantly agreeing to look after your pokemon. You can just tell that she would be really snappy if she were real. Makes me wonder why she set up a day-care if she's unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    Because Fairies extends beyond the pink cutesy pixies that current media shows them to be.

Klefki is most likely due to it being a prankster and kleptomanic, traits shown in fairies in some tales. Gardevoir's design is also somewhat based upon a certain armor. Spritzee is most likely due to scents and not having a possible better type assigned for it, the same with the Swirlix line, unlike the Vanillite line which would obviously be Ice.
    This is a good explanation of it, but I'd like to just tack on one more thing. I think "fairy" is perhaps not the best word they could have chosen for the translation. "Fairy" is the literal translation from the Japanese, but "fairies" mean something different to an English speaking audience than a Japanese speaking one. When a westerner (and more specifically an American) thinks of a fairy they're more than likely going to think of Tinkerbell, or something similar. To the Japanese, a fairy has a different connotation. I think a better word for the translation that carries the same meaning to a western audience as "fairy" does to a Japanese audience would be "sprite," or possibly "pixie" or "nymph." Pokemon Fairies are meant to be more like mischievous woodland creatures like the Greek concept of a nymph. A excellent example of this is Whimsicott, who gained Fairy typing over the switch. In this light, the list of Pokemon who are part Fairy becomes a lot more cohesive and makes more sense, I think at least.

tl;dr "Fairy" is a bad translation, and "sprite" or "nymph" is better.

Why has the day-care women always given you attitude when you leave a Pokemon? She says: 'Fine, we'll raise your X for a while'. The use of the word 'fine' suggests she is unhappy and doesn't actually want to raise your Pokemon. 'Fine' is a word you would use if you're reluctantly agreeing to something and in this case she's reluctantly agreeing to look after your pokemon. You can just tell that she would be really snappy if she were real. Makes me wonder why she set up a day-care if she's unhappy.
    Oddly, a similar question. I think you're reading too much into it. I think she's honestly just saying "That's fine, we'll raise whoever for you." It's probably a lot more innocuous of a statement in the original. People need to remember that ultimately, regardless of how good or bad that translation may be, we are still ultimately playing a translation of the original source material.

Oddly, a similar question. I think you're reading too much into it. I think she's honestly just saying "That's fine, we'll raise whoever for you." It's probably a lot more innocuous of a statement in the original. People need to remember that ultimately, regardless of how good or bad that translation may be, we are still ultimately playing a translation of the original source material.
    Lets also remember, after being said this, you aren't being scolded or smacked in the face. So, that's also good.
    FC: 2251-5486-7013
    NNID: ImmortalMewtwo (banned on MIIVERSE pernamently, f()(K you sir* )
    Pokémon Y IGN: IMMORTALMEW2
    Pokémon ΩR IGN: IMMORTALMEW2

Away in Nara, Japan from the 20th of December - 12th of January!

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post
    This is a good explanation of it, but I'd like to just tack on one more thing. I think "fairy" is perhaps not the best word they could have chosen for the translation. "Fairy" is the literal translation from the Japanese, but "fairies" mean something different to an English speaking audience than a Japanese speaking one. When a westerner (and more specifically an American) thinks of a fairy they're more than likely going to think of Tinkerbell, or something similar. To the Japanese, a fairy has a different connotation. I think a better word for the translation that carries the same meaning to a western audience as "fairy" does to a Japanese audience would be "sprite," or possibly "pixie" or "nymph." Pokemon Fairies are meant to be more like mischievous woodland creatures like the Greek concept of a nymph. A excellent example of this is Whimsicott, who gained Fairy typing over the switch. In this light, the list of Pokemon who are part Fairy becomes a lot more cohesive and makes more sense, I think at least.

I agree sprites or nymph or imps might all translate the meaning better.
    The problem with using nymph is that it's not in a lot of peoples vocabulary. Too many people don't know what they are or what the word means.
    LLR

P.S.
    East Sea Shellos (blue) with HA available
    I trade Vivillons for Vivillons and have a All 18 non-event of patterns. Ask!
    Dex 718/718 Thank you ShinyPanda! Living Dex: 711/718.

My Friend Code: 1907-9797-0140. In game name: Sage.
    I'm using this one for trades and to check safaris for folks.
    I'll be periodically deleting older cards from my friend list.
    If you still want access just let me know and I'll be happy to add you again.

Quote Originally Posted by llr View Post
    The problem with using nymph is that it's not in a lot of peoples vocabulary. Too many people don't know what they are or what the word means.
    'The more you know' with ChaosBlizzard.
    FC: 2251-5486-7013
    NNID: ImmortalMewtwo (banned on MIIVERSE pernamently, f()(K you sir* )
    Pokémon Y IGN: IMMORTALMEW2
    Pokémon ΩR IGN: IMMORTALMEW2

Away in Nara, Japan from the 20th of December - 12th of January!

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlizzard View Post

They could have used a different word like 'sure' or 'okay'... Also, when she asks if you would like to take back your 2nd Pokemon after you've withdrawn the 1st she says: 'Very Well, please come again' giving more attitude and hinting that she wants you to come back and take your Pokemon because she doesn't want to look after it so the sooner you get it away from her, the happier she will be. I can't be the only one who thinks this surely?

Quote Originally Posted by llr View Post
    I quite doubt the average 5 year old knows the actual meaning of Atrocious or Spacial.

Of course, those are just a Species Name and a rare Move, so it does justify them somewha, although I do agree on nymph as a Type may be slightly more substantial.

I can't be the only one who thinks this surely?
    You're reading into it far too deeply and finding what isn't there.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Does anyone know where I can find a list of English to German translations for common Pokemon (and/or Forum?) terminology?
    Will-Powered Spriter

I'm trying to breed a 4-5 IV Shiny Mienfoo and every couple of eggs (rarely) the Attack IV isn't there and most of the Shiny Pokemon I have don't have those Iv's because pf luck. However i'm trying to prevent that from happening.

I'm using a 5IV Nidorino. How could I make sure that the attack iv will always stay on Mienfoo?

Edit: The Power Brace does work but I need all 5iv's to be transferred with the same ability and I can't have 3 items in the daycare.
    Last edited by Shayminslicker; 24th February 2014 at 1:26 AM.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

There is one thing that's been bothering me for years and so far nobody has given me a reasonable explanation.

Why is Gyarados part flying-type? I have been told it was originally supposed to be a dragon-type but wasn't since only dragon rage existed in Gen I.

But that doesn't explain it.

It can only learn Bounce, and considering the fact that a lot of non-Flying types can learn it, it doesn't really prove that it should be a flying-type.

It has NOTHING that can make it a flying-type, it doesn't look like one at all, so I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayminslicker View Post
    I'm trying to breed a 4-5 IV Shiny Mienfoo and every couple of eggs (rarely) the Attack IV isn't there and most of the Shiny Pokemon I have don't have those Iv's because pf luck. However i'm trying to prevent that from happening.

I'm using a 5IV Nidorino. How could I make sure that the attack iv will always stay on Mienfoo?
    If you give the Nidorino the power item which trains Attack, don't remember which one that is, then it will be guaranteed to pass its Attack IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
    There is one thing that's been bothering me for years and so far nobody has given me a reasonable explanation.

Why is Gyarados part flying-type? I have been told it was originally supposed to be a dragon-type but wasn't since only dragon rage existed in Gen I.

But that doesn't explain it.

It can only learn Bounce, and considering the fact that a lot of non-Flying types can learn it, it doesn't really prove that it should be a flying-type.

It has NOTHING that can make it a flying-type, it doesn't look like one at all, so I don't get it.
    Magikarp and Gyarados are both based on an old Chinese legend about carp that would leap over a waterfall and turn into dragons. If you saw a carp jump hard enough to jump over a waterfall in real life, you'd probably think it wasn't jumping, it was flying. I think that's the basis of it. There was a DYKG about Pokemon that mentioned the story once if you care to look that up.

Thanks for answering my questions regarding the Fairy-type and Gyarados, I understand it now. :-)

Part of the reason Gyarados isn't Dragon-type probably has to do with game balance; offensively, Water/Dragon isn't doing any better than Water/Flying in Gen I, but defensively, Gyarados would have had no effective weaknesses (as well as increased resistance to Water and Fire and no resistance to Fighting, Bug, or Ground). Considering how early Gyarados can be obtained and how it already had a pretty decent BST, making it Water/Flying helped it not break the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Part of the reason Gyarados isn't Dragon-type probably has to do with game balance; offensively, Water/Dragon isn't doing any better than Water/Flying in Gen I, but defensively, Gyarados would have had no effective weaknesses (as well as increased resistance to Water and Fire and no resistance to Fighting, Bug, or Ground). Considering how early Gyarados can be obtained and how it already had a pretty decent BST, making it Water/Flying helped it not break the game.
    Oh, don't worry I knew all along why Gyarados wasn't water/dragon.

It's just the fact that it's part flying which I didn't understand, but since someone explained that part to me, I do now.

Would acrobatics do more damage when Talonflame is holding Life Orb? I wasn't sure since it says it does more damage without any items help but I don't know exactly how much of a boost it is, and whether the boost would be higher if I had life orb instead of nothing.

Page 796 of 877 FirstFirst ... 696746786792793794795796797798799800806846 ... LastLast