Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you make it past the first gym in yellow?

Question How did you make it past the first gym in yellow?

In Pokemon Yellow, you are forced to have Pikachu as your starter. Unfortunately, the first gym is all Rock/Ground types, and Electric doesn't effect ground (not to mention that Ground is also super effective on Electric). So what did you do to get past Brock in Yellow version?

-Roserazor

EDIT: And thank you all so much for making this the biggest non-Sticky thread in the Red/Green/Blue/Yellow Discussion!
    EDIT: As of May 27th, 2012, this thread received its 300th post! Thanks for all the comments everybody!
    Last edited by Roserazor; 28th May 2012 at 4:08 PM.
    Roserade's been claimed, so I CLAIMED ROSELIA!!!
    Kirby's Return To Dreamland Comes out Oct. 24th!

I caught a caterpie, evolved it into a butterfree, and taught it psychic. That was pretty much my only hope.

I caught a Nidoran and trained it until it learned Double Kick, then used it against him.
    ~I have claimed Glalie~

Quote Originally Posted by Roserazor View Post
    In pokemon yellow, you are forced to have pikachu as your starter. Unfortunately, the first gym is all rock type and electric is weak on rock. So what did you do to get past Brock?

-Roserazor
    Unfortunately Electric isn't weak on Rock, it doesn't affect Ground which Onix and Geodude are.

Riki Tiki Tavi

I was dumb and as i remember i trained my pikachu to like level 20 it took like a week considering i only had level 3 pidgeys to kill and then i challenged Brock and i used tackle throughout the whole battle i should have caught a caterpie to evolve into a butterfree.

I caught a Mankey in Route 22 at level 3 I think so that help in defeating Brock.

I hated Yellow because of the hurdle in the first Gym. I remember fighting Brock with Pikachu, Butterfree, and Pidgey but losing since nothing I used really made a difference. I decided to just trade over a level 10 Poliwag from my friends Blue version and I beat Brock using that type advantage. I used to hate training so I never really tried to beat him on my own

I caught a female Nidoran and just kept using it and Pikachu until I FINALLY beat him.

It took forever. :/

I remember taking ages to even kill the Geodude and by the time Onix came I only had a Pidgey of lvl 5 left or something.

I just trained my Pikachu to lvl 11 and used quick attack all time.

The easiest way to beat Brock in Yellow is to catch a Mankey in Route 22 and train it till it learns one of its fighting moves.

Special thanks to my friend, Queen_Lugia, for the pixel-over!
    Pt FC: 4254 8466 0161 SS FC: 1205 1491 8546

Butterfree. Such a simple solution, although it was a ***** to train to evolve fully.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Glalie View Post
    I caught a Nidoran and trained it until it learned Double Kick, then used it against him.
    Pretty much this

The first time I played:
    After stocking up on a few potions (as many as i could afford), I had a lv 16 Pikachu, and lv 9 Pidgey, and a lv 7 Metapod.
    Sent in metapod for geodude, spammed harden, then spammed tackle. The metapod died.
    Next, spammed pidgey's gust. After a few potions, the geodude died.
    Brock sent out his Onix, I spammed sand attack, which was quite helpful. The Onix missed quite a few times, but that led to my Pidgey's death.
    Sent out my Pikachu, after using nearly all of my potions, it finally died from a quick attack. That took forever. ButIwas like, 4 at that time

Who cut the cheese? D:
    Four of the most [EPIC] Pokemon
    [Crobat][Octillery][Flygon][Umbreon]
    Oh, and WHITE backgrounds are awesome.

caught a nidoran, taught it double kick, and laughed my way through the gym.
        Spoiler:- this is my signature.:

I have a big signature.

Skull-Kid is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

I caught a Caterpie and trained it to a Butterfree. I also trained a Nidoran-M and taught it Double Kick. Nidoran-M was mostly backup.

Mankey with low kick or one of the nidorans with double kick.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Spoiler:- pokemon joke of the week:

easy, caught a nidoran/caterpie/mankey and thats it, it was no big deal actually. i mean by the time i get there i was using a mankey anyway
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
    No excuses, No apologies, No regrets.

I used Nidoran, Butterfree, Mankey, and Pikachu. All at level 17. I beat Geodude with Butterfree, but Onix fainted her. Then i sent out Nidoran and used Double kick, then i won Training isn't really that hard, even metapod takes forever to raise for some reason.

I HAVE CLAIMED GIRAFARIG
        Spoiler:- Future Black or White team:
        Spoiler:- Some things about me:

Quote Originally Posted by Murky_Night View Post
    I used Nidoran, Butterfree, Mankey, and Pikachu. All at level 17. I beat Geodude with Butterfree, but Onix fainted her. Then i sent out Nidoran and used Double kick, then i won Training isn't really that hard, even metapod takes forever to raise for some reason.
    kinda the same here, brock never was a challenge to me on yellow since i played red version a lot before i got yellow so when i reach viridian i got my mankey
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
    No excuses, No apologies, No regrets.

Butterfree + Confusion = Win

Mankey+ Low Kick and Nidoran M and F with Double Kick, because I always overprepared for that gym.
    Those who have enemies have stood up for something in their lives...
    [IMG]http://i32.*******.com/bi8jg2.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Rosemary for the fantastic banner!

The first several runthroughs, I just over leveled my Pikachu. On the most recent try who knows how long back, I think I used a Butterfree. I never even thought about using Mankey. D:
    God is awesome.

NamelessShippingHunterShipping
    グリシル

You can view my full list of ships here.

In previous files, I'd use the Nidoran - Double Kick Combo to beat Brock, but in my most recent file I decided to make it more challenging. None of my Pikachu's moves could hit Geodude or Onix, so I had Pikachu use Tail Whip/Growl (mainly Tail Whip), then Pidgey would use Quick Attack, and I won the Badge.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

I always used Mankey. This is the only point in any game where I catch a pokemon for battle that I plan on ditching right away. Normally I pick a team and stick with it.
    I have claimed Electabuzz!

I am an atheist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too. Or don't, I don't judge.

There are wild Mankeys by Gary's second battle location
    One lowkick equals 2 hits for Geodude and one for Onix
    Pretty easy

It's a Forretress, what else needs to be said?
    A video of my friend attemping to jump a fence

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast