Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Final Frontier! (657)

Ash should have switched Gible and Swellow's spots in the lineup.

Unhappy

I can't stand it when Legendaries steal the show like that... The least they could've done was make the battle a little less one-sided...
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

I did not really like this battle since Tobius (whatever way you spell it) had Darkrai and Latios. Just didnt like the way they made Ash lose in the Sinnoh League.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 2105-8824-8167
    PM me if you add me so I can add you

My Friend Safari (Water): Bibarel , Gyarados , Azumarill

Safaris I am looking for with these Pokemon:
    1. Drifblim
    2. Poliwhirl
    3. Heracross
    4. Whirlipede
    5. Gothorita
    6. Forretress
    7. Sigilyph

Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    If I were a judge in that tourney, I'd have disqualified Takuto for using Ubers.

What a cheater...
    Amen to that [at least the Battle Frontier people have semi-legitimate reasons and status for having one or three].

Kudos on Ash for taking out two Legendaries in a row though - but Tobias, oh my god, cheap trainer cheap doesn't even begin to describe him...

I literally screamed 'wth' out loud repeatedly when Latios appeared [oh, and why Gible Ash, seriously?]. I bet he has Latias and the three Beasts with him too... >->

I'm surprised that they didn't even bother to give Tobias a backstory [like every other League rival ever] as well actually [and I was still expecting Darkrai's form to have changed into a Zoroark after that last blow from Sceptile as well actually].

All this said though, after the initial slaughterhouse of Ash's pokemon, Sceptile and Pikachu really pulled off some epic OHKOs [and Barry finally left] !

Who's hedging bets that this guy pops up in the possible future 'Champion's League' and Ash has to battle his uber crew all over again?

Meh, I was heavily disappointed with Tobias' voice. It's just any old stock voice for a tough opponent.

I'm also glad they kept the music from the time when Ash is defeated to when Barry starts talking. That music was really good for the moment. I was really expecting them to change it.

Brock's little contemplation moment was also funny. He just realized he has accomplished nothing that past year and he is no further to completing his goal.

Torkoal's voice and performance were an embarrassment. If I were Ash I'd have that thing put down because it's an insult to his Pokémon training.

Quote Originally Posted by yeminied View Post
    Meh, I was heavily disappointed with Tobias' voice. It's just any old stock voice for a tough opponent.
    How could you say that? Michael Tatum is not someone to criticize when he lends his voice to a show like pokemon.

I'm also glad they kept the music from the time when Ash is defeated to when Barry starts talking. That music was really good for the moment. I was really expecting them to change it.
    They kept all the music in this episode, not just those moments. Even the title screen music was kept

Torkoal's voice and performance were an embarrassment. If I were Ash I'd have that thing put down because it's an insult to his Pokémon training.
    This isn't the first time hearing Torkoal's new voice you know, plus they couldn't get the original voice to return even if they tried for reasons I shouldn't have to explain. Either way it was only a few seconds seeing as he was quickly beaten.

It's not Torkoal's fault he went threw puberty.

I saw the Japanese episode when it came out, everyone thought Darkrai was using Nightmare. Now I see how that Darkrai kept winning. If it got hurt, it'd just put it's opponents to sleep and heal with Dream Eater...
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 4339-2697-2470

Generally the battle was really one sided, but Latios vs. Pikachu was epic. I'd rate it as the best battle in the this League. I just think Tobias was really too strong, he cheated by joining the competition when clearly he's Elite 4/Champion/Frontier Brain material already.
    My Pokemon Friend Codes:

Diamond:4983-5430-4342

Quote Originally Posted by Tails_Sliat View Post
    Ash should have switched Gible and Swellow's spots in the lineup.
    I think that in the Jap version, Tobias said that Gible's DM would have been fatal to any other Pokemon bar Darkrai at that point; besides, it gave a far better showing than Torkoal or Swellow, and arguably Heracross too. And Swellow fought Deoxys too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elxar View Post
    I just think Tobias was really too strong, he cheated by joining the competition when clearly he's Elite 4/Champion/Frontier Brain material already.
    Well Ash is too....

Wow. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever think that J. Michael Tatum would ever be on Pokemon. Too bad it was for Tobias

But besides my shock of the FUNimation voice actor, I wasn't a fan of this battle at all from when I watched a couple of months ago. And for obvious reasons too. I mean we learn about the powerful trainer with the unbeatable legendary pokemon. Come to find out he has more? Well Latios as far as we know. UGH. And that totally disproves my theory that this fool has an unlimited amount of master balls stashed somewhere. Well with just one look anyways.

I guess I miss the days where in the league you weren't up against an opponent with *insert amount of legendaries here*. The battles would be a bit longer but at least it wouldn't be a TOTAL wipe-out. Like what we just witnessed.

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

Quote Originally Posted by d4rk_tailed View Post

Well Ash is too....
    The bottom line is, with that kind of elite Pokémon, Tobias should be already
    battling the likes of Brandon, Wallace and Cynthia instead of bullying average
    trainers with overpowered monsters.

Let´s face it, the guy entered the Pokémon league and literally slaughtered
    everybody (except Ash) with only one friggin' Pokémon. It was like watching
    an adult olympic champ in a junior tournament, what a joke.

The way Tobias completely dominated the league made all the other trainers
    suddenly seem ridiculously average and weak.

Also a supporter of:
    ***** Advanceshipping and Pearlshipping *****
    Banner by me

Can't believe they kept the music completely in this battle (a good decision - it fit perfectly, as per usual), but not in the Paul battle. Confused.

Even though I did sort of skip ahead of myself (I haven't bothered watching the rest of the League dubbed yet :/, I'll get on that soon), I'm glad I did.

To be completely honest, even though Ash did lose this, I still mark this as more of an accomplishment than anything else. Given everything he's been able to do in past seasons, this pretty much puts all that experience in one go.

Before I even go on with some things...

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip8003 View Post
    That guy gained respect for Ash faster then Paul...
    Considering this guy is quite mature, and hasn't really expected too much from people, I'd say that's his way of being impressed. After all, when you've gone through a league pretty much decimating every challenger with one Pokemon, and your opponent is actually able to land a hit and attempt another one, you gotta give credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    For a God Mode Sue and a total *** Pull, Tobias wasn't all to bad. All he need is a backstory on how he got Darkrai and Latios to be a better character.
    Probably

P.S. THE DUB KEPT ALL THE JAPANESE MUSIC!!!!!! OMFG!
    With as high profile a battle as this is, it's not entirely surprising to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pika Hikari KT View Post
    That, and Tobias should sound more than a bit familiar for anyone who's seen Ouran or Black Butler.
    Wait... what?! Huh?! How. In. The. Hell?!

Quote Originally Posted by catzeye View Post
    Well I think that Tobias is supposed to be an adult.

Anyways this was a nice battle although it sucked to see Ash lose to a guy with 2 very powerful legendaries. It was amazing to see that Ash was the only one who took out any of Tobias' Pokemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweenghost View Post
    Good Job Ash.. be Proud.... you did Good.

you where the only one of the whole league who beat one of Tobias's Pokemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SOS! Its Not Healthy.. View Post
    While I did enjoy this episode, you have to admit, it was a cheap way to Ash lose. But what can you do. But despite Ash's loss, he took down 2 legendaries which no other pokemon league participant could of have done.
    The instant Darkrai fell, I loved how the announcer basically makes seem like some sort of amazing event that just happened.

Hold on sec...

*goes off looking for the episode on YouTube...*

Ah here we are...

Announcer: I can't believe it! Tobias's Darkrai has been defeated!

[...]

Announcer: Ladies and Gentleman, as incredible as this may seem, this is the very first defeat we've seen for Tobias's Darkrai here at the Sinnoh League.
    Hmm... Does the Pokemon world have a version of Guiness World Records??

But overall in the league, Ash did awesome. Even he's in the Top 4, from the 4, he was the 2nd best behind Tobias giving credit he's the only one who knocked out a pokemon.
    Hell, even Brock mentions that this is a big first for Ash.

Okay, that's done.

On to my reaction.

Well, I'm impressed. Sure, I saw the original Japanese version, but not knowing what they were saying made it a tad more cryptic. I still enjoyed it, but for different reasons. Now that I've seen it, I have to say that I enjoy it a lot more.

First off, Tobias. Oh, and while I'm at it, his dub name. I'll be honest here, that's probably one of my favorite names to use, simply because of some outside reason that's rather arbitrary to this discussion. Even so, I've never actually heard the name used anywhere before or even said, so this was an amazing treat for me.

For the actual battle, having already seen it, I still enjoyed it, and moreso once I realized what Tobias was actually saying to Ash. That guy, despite wielding some hefty firepower, was a surprisingly decent guy, and quite mature. The fact that he actually praised Gible a little bit given what it was able to do, and even states that Draco Meteor could have done a good amount of damage had it hit shows that sees Ash as a great competitor.

Oh yeah, Torkoal sounded weird. I haven't heard it since that one episode in the Battle Frontier, so that may be why. I'll have to go back and watch it to see if its similar or anything. Although... I think Ash should have used something like Heat Wave instead of Flamethrower... or a defensive move or something. Torkoal was the only part I disliked.

Sceptile was pretty much the bad*** of this episode. I mean, he actually escapes sleep and manages to take out Darkrai. And he knows Leaf Storm? I hope that's not replacing Solarbeam (they did something similar to Charizard when it was brought back to face Brandon. Dragonbreath?? :P).

Also, still happy to see Latios, especially after it's 7 year absence from the anime. Now the writers just got to figure a way to sashay Latias in there and all is forgiven (well, I would have said Rayquaza and Giratina... but illusions kind of count...). Giga Impact is a very strange choice for it, but oh well, there's been a ton of odd attack choices in this anime, I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Pikachu's battle with Latios was still amazing as well, even though I could have sworn they added something to it (BGM wise) after the whole "explosion occurs", not too sure there (it's "supposed" to be silence, but I"ll have to double check).
    I have to give credit to Sarah for doing a damn good job with voicing Ash during the part where he tells Pikachu to use Iron Tail. The words were slightly different, the but generally idea was still there, and it still works very well.

Overall, I'm not going to add too much to this, but I still consider it one of my favorite episodes yet.

Also, I find it amusing that Ash did take a bit to beat Darkrai, but seeing as it's restricted from stuff like the Battle Frontier/Tower, it's only fitting. But Latios is, making it a rather "legitimate" victory. Now, had he had stuff like Heatran, Zapdos, Suicune, or something similar, it would just be a somewhat difficult time as those are legitimate entries to those places. And I can almost be sure the the League works similarly (hell, Noland and Brandon used legendaries and no one complained... how's this any different?).

Ash probably had this as his biggest accomplishment in years, and the fact that he gets acknowledge for it just really solidifies itself.

I dunno, maybe I'd be more harsh if Tobias had a different team, or he had a different name, or he was more of a jerk, I can't really say. But I can say for sure that of all the battles I've seen, this one is definitely one of the bigger ones.

/CL

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

I'm usually against Ash, when it comes to Pokemon battles. But this episode has been a farce greater than Rangers bribing the referees in the Scottish Premier League.(People who follow Scottish football/soccer will get my drift.)
    A Trainer applies to the Pokemon League with 6 Legendary Pokemon, most likely. Cheater. It is stated that having Legendaries controlled by humans would disrupt the balance of the world. That is why Ash has no Legendary in his team.

Not only that, but only 1 Pokemon of Tobias is known, before the battle starts. Shouldn't there be some kind of regulations that requires you to state which Pokemon will you use, in the League? And that should appear in the Trainer Database Conway, and Paul accessed in one episode.

Heracross with Sleep Talk should not have fallen in one hit. Just no. In 3 hits, at the very worst.

Dark Pulse failed to hit Gible properly, when he was defeated. It was not a direct hit. Big screw-up from the writers.

I don't know what were the writers thinking, when they were doing this episode, but this is an awful way to end up Sinnoh League. This is the worst episode in the anime, so far.
    Il Gran Velenatore del Poke-mondo.
    The Great Poisoner of the Pokeworld.

This battle was begging to be a two-parter. Everyone except Pikachu goes down far too easily, and even Darkrai and Latios didn't have as many hits as I'd expect. It was just badly rushed, and Swellow and Torkoal in particular looked pretty pathetic as a result. There just wasn't room for the epic battle they were trying to show. Also, I didn't care for finishing with a tie. They just didn't have time to break out a third pokemon and they didn't want Pikachu to lose outright.

Wait... what?! Huh?! How. In. The. Hell?!
    I'm so glad I held this info from the main fanbase for about 3 months (JMT had said he recorded an episode, just not who he was playing due to nondisclosure)!

I know i commented already but Team ash should have used are he should of had the original 4+2 others or
    Charizard,Pikachu, Primape,Sceptile, Swellow, Snorlax

Primape could have been a possibility but heracross or Infernape more likely though.

And My thoughts http://i54.*******.com/2m43gh2.png
    In order
    Granbull
    Empoleon or Electivire (Going out on a limb to say this cause it's highly unlikely GiratinaO)
    Torterra or
    Zangoose
    Mismagius
    Magmortar (To me looks like a Dusknoir)

Ash's final battle followed what has pretty much become regulation for the end of League arcs. First, Ash has to battle a few minor characters, then he WILL get paired with his rival (loved the Ash vs. Paul battle three-parter), who he will then beat, against all odds, and then get taken down by another guy promptly afterwards. While Tobias wasn't the first guy to enter a legendary into the League, (look at when Ash registers for the Sinnoh League, there's a Heatran), he was kind of cheap since, to me, Darkrai are the most annoying legendaries on the Wi-Fi battles. Finally, random Latios?

I am actually fascinated about the bribing of refs in the SPL. Surely, as with the Prem League, bribery is impossible? More impossible so because theyre half of the Old Firm?

The first hour after watching the ep in Japanese, I felt p**d off Id sat through Sinnoh to watch this cr*p, then realised that in a way, the battle had been done as well as it could. It was not like the Pokemon that lost went down unfeasibly, I never expected much from Torkoal or Gible, Heracross HAD to be the fall-guy (for Brock to do his whole "blah-blah is (insert type, blah-blah is (insert type) therefore blah-blah shuld beat blah-blah"), and Swellow and Pikachu did not exactly go below standards previously seen in the series. Sceptile was a disappointment to see beat Darkrai then jump in the way of a Giga Impact and get hammered, but....you know.....s**t happens.

Maybe Im just easily pleased, but Im very satisfied that the battle didnt involve the writers creating imaginative ways to have Darkrai run over the whole team; instead, they made Darkrai lose plausibly aswell as inferring with that Magmortar trainer that Ash was effectively 2nd best in the league. Happy days

Even though I do think Ash couldve won this, it still works out in his favor very well. He made a great feat for himself in reaching the semifinals, and a great feat for all trainers in Sinnoh by doing some form of damage against Tobias. Not just Darkrai, but even little Pikachu managed to at least tie with that Latios.

Plus, the fact that they actually needed to bring out legendaries for him to lose kinda says that he's seriously getting somewhere as a trainer ;P

RADIANT BLAZE ~

Quote Originally Posted by Commander L. Halsti View Post
    Heracross with Sleep Talk should not have fallen in one hit. Just no. In 3 hits, at the very worst.
    Heracross is weak to Psychic type moves AND Darkrai was at a much higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rk_tailed View Post
    I am actually fascinated about the bribing of refs in the SPL. Surely, as with the Prem League, bribery is impossible? More impossible so because theyre half of the Old Firm?

The first hour after watching the ep in Japanese, I felt p**d off Id sat through Sinnoh to watch this cr*p, then realised that in a way, the battle had been done as well as it could. It was not like the Pokemon that lost went down unfeasibly, I never expected much from Torkoal or Gible, Heracross HAD to be the fall-guy (for Brock to do his whole "blah-blah is (insert type, blah-blah is (insert type) therefore blah-blah shuld beat blah-blah"), and Swellow and Pikachu did not exactly go below standards previously seen in the series. Sceptile was a disappointment to see beat Darkrai then jump in the way of a Giga Impact and get hammered, but....you know.....s**t happens.

Maybe Im just easily pleased, but Im very satisfied that the battle didnt involve the writers creating imaginative ways to have Darkrai run over the whole team; instead, they made Darkrai lose plausibly aswell as inferring with that Magmortar trainer that Ash was effectively 2nd best in the league. Happy days
    This was pretty much my take on the battle back when I watched the raw version. To be honest, I expected Ash to get curbstomped 6-0 before I watched it, so when I saw Darkrai get knocked out (and by my favorite Pokemon, no less), I was quite pleased. Like you said, Torkoal and Gible's quick losses weren't exactly surprising, which left Heracross to be the fall guy. The only real disappointment for me was that even though it showed off its usual aerial awesomeness, Swellow went down in only one shot, which was kind of odd considering its crazy endurance in other battles (but it is believable I guess, since it flew face first into Luster Purge at top speed). I guess you could argue that the writers did that to show how tough it is by taking down Sceptile and Swellow in one shot each. As for Pikachu's battle with Latios, it was one of the best 1on1's of DP imo, so it definitely kept some excitement in the battle. I had hoped Pikachu would get at least one more victory before Latios, but the battle still did a good job of showing off Pikachu's "real" power.

Overall, I thought this was a decent battle, and a pretty good episode overall. The satisfaction of knowing Ash was essentially second best in the tournament pretty much sold the episode for me (plus, PUSA left the original music in which was very cool ).

Quote Originally Posted by uncutpokemon View Post
    How could you say that? Michael Tatum is not someone to criticize when he lends his voice to a show like pokemon.
    Man that acting was awful. It was just your average tough to beat opponent voice. There was no creativity involved in creating his voice.

Michael Tatum needs to erase that from his C.V. because his performance here is nothing to be proud of.

This episode,in fact Tobias himself,is an indication that the writers have gotten lazy in how they prevent Ash from winning.They could've made a rival akin to Tyson or Harrison for this,but no,they just make a guy without personality to prevent Ash from winning

What's that you say?Ash is so skilled the only way to be beat is legendary Pokemon?BS!Every region Ash starts out with a new team asides from Pikachu.It would make sense if he had his strongest team members,but come on!

Not to mention how they're breaking one of their own rules-in the games,legendaries(even the more minor ones) are incredibly powerful and no normal trainer can tame them.In the 10th movie,Darkrai was capable of holding back the blasts of two DEITIES in the Pokemon world!The only way you can even get a legendary in-anime is either befriending it(Noland's Articuno) or being one of the top trainers out there(Brandon's Regis)

I just wished they didn't go this cheap route.Not to mention,the battle just goes to show what a poorly concieved plot device(yeah,Tobias isn't even a character) Tobias was.First off,beating all eight gyms with a Darkrai?Srsly?How the hell did you even catch a Darkrai before the first gym?And don't say Master Ball because it was in a Pokeball.Also,after being hit by Draco Meteor THERE'S NO DAMAGE!I understand that its a legendary,but a move that powerful should do some damage.

And it was swiftly beat by Sceptile.It shows this whole time,Tobias just won cheap victories by Dark Voiding the competition,never bothering to prepare for a Pokemon that wouldn't be taken out by this strategy.The icing on the cake is the whole time,on his face,you see no true emotion.Any compliment he makes is utterly hollow and just there to prevent the fans from hating it even more than they already do.It reveals Tobias for the plot device he really is,with the writers pulling his strings

You know what,I could make a better version of this episode(that still serves the purpose of preventing Ash's victory).WATCH!

"Tobias sends out his Darkrai,and Ash sends out his Heracross.Heracross is Dark Void'd,but manages to go on with Sleep Talk.Though it causes injury to Darkrai,it passes out thanks to Bad Dreams and Dream Eater.So Ash sends out Snorlax,with a Sleep Talk strategy of its own.Thanks to it beefy defense,Darkrai gets overwhelmed

Tobias chuckles.He's impressed at Ash for being one of the first to defeat his Darkrai.He reveals just how he caught it-by using a Vital Spirit Primeape.Due to the injuries sustained Snorlax is felled,so Ash brings out Gliscor.Gliscor does well against Primeape,but has to deal with Primeape's Ice Punch.In the end,the two defeat one another

We see Tobias smirking,as he reveals an unexpected Pokemon:Enbouh(Why?A preview of Black and White)Ash sends out Charizard,and deduces this "mystery Pokemon" is probably a Fighting type.The two are almost as strong as one another,but Charizard wins-with injuries of course.The next two are the evolved forms of the other starters.Pikachu fights and beats Daikenki(though injured by Boiling Water) and finally Jalorda vs Charizard.Though Charizard inflicts major injuries on Jalorda,its own means it is felled when Jalorda uses Toxic

Ash summons Gible to finish Jalorda off(causing it to evolve from experience),and Tobias reveals that there's one Pokemon he's been holding back simply because of Ash's skill.And that's Latios.Both Pokemon use Draco Meteor to finish the fight,and each tries to use their speed to escape the meteors.However due to its greater speed Latios misses more of the meteors,leading to Gabite's defeat.

And so the epic battle of Latios and Pikachu begins.Both are neck and neck,more and more desperate.The climax is the two barely holding on after giving everything they've got,but(for the purpose of the episode) Pikachu is beat(Latios faints right after its trainer is declared the winner)."

There.This episode was a waste.If anyone's going to make a fanfic where the battle is more fair or Tobias gets pwned,I'd like to see it
    Shinies: (Gift) (In-game event) (SR) (search) (random), (traded away) Sylveon (trade) (MM)
    Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

FT: (all shiny)
    LF: (all shiny)

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    I just wished they didn't go this cheap route.Not to mention,the battle just goes to show what a poorly concieved plot device(yeah,Tobias isn't even a character) Tobias was.First off,beating all eight gyms with a Darkrai?Srsly?How the hell did you even catch a Darkrai before the first gym?And don't say Master Ball because it was in a Pokeball.
    He could have been to other regions like Ash and Paul making it possible for him to have a Darkrai at the first gym.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Also,after being hit by Draco Meteor THERE'S NO DAMAGE!I understand that its a legendary,but a move that powerful should do some damage.
    Um that was because of the fact that Darkrai avoided the Draco Meteor.
    Just a Fanfiction writer.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/~porky2

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast