Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon: Devil's Ascent (RPG Thread)

Michael turned and walked away, but stopped beside Galic. "And know this, my friend," he said to the beast man. "Should your demon betray us, it is on your head; I will come down upon you with the entire weight of Heaven and smite you where you stand."
    Galic didn’t even need the angel to tell him that. The moment Michael reacted, he already knew that whatever misfortune Cresil would do upon the Peacemakers, the punishment that Michael would judge upon the demon man would also be on the MachGaogamon himself. He had seen the way the MagnaAngemon’s eyes burned at him when he thought that he was possessed…and it was not something that he would have liked to see again. Ever.

Still, whatever consequence would happen, he would gladly receive it. Just as long as it was on him and on him alone. He would rather suffer the unfortunate fate than have it on the innocent nomads, who would have been Cresil’s victims were he to become bored (which had become increasingly often as of late). Sighing, he glanced at the Astamon.

Cresil popped the joint of his torso and rotated his limbs. He could still feel the ache, the feeling like his bones were being crushed, that his insides were getting burned, frozen, then burned alternately in piercing agony, and his whole body was being forced to contort into shapes and forms that he naturally wouldn’t be capable of. He definitely didn’t like the feeling…but despite that, he could feel a smile come up on his face.

Yes,’ he thought to himself. ‘I am definitely not going to be bored for a while.’ He glanced at Galic, reading the look in his eyes. The Astamon only gave him a mysterious grin, leaving the MachGaogamon to frown.

"See," Samael said with a smirk. "We can all get along."

Cres had to grin. Get along? He popped the joint of his neck, looking at the demon. “Very much so. This is going to be…fun.”

As soon as they mentioned the wedding, he gave them a mysterious look. “I’m afraid that I won’t be attending it...or if I am, you won’t be seeing me,” he added, a smile on his face. “But I’ll be around…trust me.” With that, he melted once more into the shadows, moving as if Michael hadn’t just tries to smite him into dust, as if the pain that wracked his body were inexistent.

He wouldn’t have survived being a demon in Hell if he was a stranger to excruciating pain.

---------------------------------------------------------

The wedding reception…or at least near it…

A distance away from Gigas and Ivy’s wedding reception, Aeria sat near a grass garden. While she wasn’t quite so far that no one would be able to see her, they at least wouldn’t have been able to recognize her. Or she hoped.

She bowed her head, looking at the small object in her hands that she unconsciously played with, looking it over, rubbing it, and holding it one hand and then the other. She bit her bottom lip, trying to not let the tears that threatened to fall down her face to escape. Her hand held onto the object tighter as she shut her eyes tight, unable to keep a tear from running down her face and splashing noiselessly on the blades of grass she sat upon.

“I’m so…sorry,” she whispered, rubbing her eyes to shed away the tears before they could get any stronger in intensity. She took a deep breathe and let it out, hoping that it would help.

She needed to calm down. She needed to relax. And it was hard to do when all she did was just sit and think about it. She pocketed the object in her hand, making sure that it wouldn’t fall, and then she stood up. Whatever qualms she had about doing what she was going to do disappeared; it was the only thing in her mind that she knew would be able to slow her down enough before she would start bawling…even if it might not have the result that she would have wanted sometimes.

Her eyes closed, she took one step forward…and then another, letting an arm, nay, her whole body sway forward with it. And then she spun around once, her feet treading precisely and purposely. She let her arms move and sway, the breeze caressing and following her movements, around and over her body, taking advantage of the full range of motion that it was capable in slow, precise movements. Her legs rose and fell, gracefully and slowly, softly upon the grass. Her body moved without the awkwardness that she had previously shown, turning and moving with the beautiful elegance that her lithe body was capable of. She moved with the song that only she could hear, and she danced with the partner that only she could feel. And the tears trickled down her face through closed lids, unable to stop at the images she could see behind closed eyes, at the lack of the warmth that usually accompanied it. And she continued to dance to the melancholic song in her head stopped…even though when it did, her tears did not.

Sniffling, raised a hand to press against the side of her face, wishing that the touch belonged to someone else. Even though she knew that as much as she wished it, the wish would never come true.

She fell back on her knees, and then sat down back down on the grass, the trickling tears down her face.

“I miss you so much,” she whispered.

Meanwhile…

Shoon hid under one of the tables, voraciously eating at the food that he had ‘gathered’ from various tables. He rarely ever got to eat food that good, let alone savor it. He was usually running by the time he had finished half the portion of food he had ‘ordered’. He blinked when he began to hear a conversation behind him.

He looked from under the table to see two pairs of legs, belonging to two individuals that were talking. His eyes widened when he recognized the voices of said two individuals.

He kept himself from talking, pressing his hands against his mouth, listening eagerly to the conversation between Thor Odinson and Bedivere Stormheart. And what he was listening to made his mind go wild. Their conversation was very interesting indeed.
    There are stories made from the imagination. There are stories born from experience.
    There are stories told because of a need to be filled. There are stories that simply need to be told.
    This is one of them.

“Maybe there really is a method to his madness…or maybe he’s just plain insane."
    Chapter 3: Act III is out and posted!

"Your opinion has been heard," Michael said stiffly. "But your opinion has not been asked for. Your suspicions of Samael and Kheprius speak poorly to your character. I thought an acolyte would know the value of forgiveness and trust. It is true that Samael has erred in the past, but until you know him as I do, I recommend you keep your opinions to yourself.
    "...Understood, your holiness. You have my sincerest apologies," Barachiel calmly said, bowing his head as he took his licks. He then remembered inadvertantly overhearing the commotion that took place prior to the wedding. "...Did he not do the same to that demon the MachGaogamon knows?" he added mentally.

"As for Kheprius." Michael looked to the one-eyed bug. "You might want to ask yourself if a soul so impure would sacrifice his wellbeing as he did to save a comrade.

Barachiel looked up at him in surprise. To be honest, Barachiel wasn't aware of such an action taking place. While he doubted that the MagnaAngemon would lie about something like that, or anything at all, the TigerVespamon still found it hard to believe that his brother would do such a thing. ...And yet, in brighter days, Kheprius had saved Barachiel, himself, at least once.

"Be that as it may, your holiness..." Barachiel begun. "I do not believe that one selfless act can overwrite everything that he has done or will do, unless God deems otherwise," he said adamantly, looking at Kheprius discriminatingly. "You may call me foolish, and I may very well be wrong, but I believe that it is so."

"You have much to learn, Barachiel," Michael said, shaking his head. "Even Lucifer did not rebel because he hated God. He rebelled out of love." Michael turned away. "My fool of a brother."

Barachiel bowed his head as the MagnaAngemon turned around. "I will try my best to learn from you in order to better myself," he said respectfully. The TigerVespamon then turned around and walked away from him. He glanced to the side and saw Kherpius enjoying the festivities. Barachiel muttered, "Fool of a brother, indeed."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The intoxicated GrandisKuwagamon tossed his empty cup to the side and staggered through the garden where the wedding was being held. "Stupid Thor..." he said slurrily. "He never drinks at these things! He may be a God... er king... er whatever... but tha' doesn't mean he can't have a few and loosen up a bit! I mean honestly... that blue guy needs ta take the stick out already..."

Kheprius was trying to head towards the outer limits of the reception area. This was because he was feeling the urge to throw up coming and going. As he hobbled unevenly, Kheprius could feel a presence behind him. He promptly swung around and instinctively drove his fist towards the one that followed him.

A TigerVespamon stood behind him. Barachiel caught Kheprius' wrist, halting the strike before his brother's black knuckles connected with his face. Upon seeing who it was, Kheprius ceased the force that he put on his arm and allowed it to remain stationary.

"Kheprius..." Barachiel said firmly, releasing his wrist.

"Terrak," Kheprius said. "I've been wanting to talk to you."

"It's 'Barachiel Aker'," the golden bug calmly corrected.

"Oh, of course... You're an angel now or something!" Kheprius making an extravagant hand gesture to sarcastically add grandiose to the role.

Barachiel looked at him steadily. "...I may be an acolyte of Hadrael in his cathedral, but I am not technically part of the Holy Host."

"Well, good. 'Cuz the Holy Host seem like pricks..." The GrandisKuwagamon said, causing his brother's eyes to narrow. "...So why are you here, then? I assumed you felt too high and cavalier to ever associate yourself with me again."

"This isn't about you, Kheprius," Barachiel answered curtly. "Our world is in danger and if it means having to work alongside you in order to stop Mephistopheles, then I will do as I am commanded. I am a part of a special division in the Anatolian army, formally the Avalonian army. I was sent here under orders to join the Peacemakers."

"Well good for you," Kheprius scoffed. "Great to know you hate your brother that much."

"I don't 'hate' anybody, Kheprius," Barachiel answered, staring at him.

"Could have fooled me," the other bug muttered.

"Anyways, this isn't what I have come to talk to you about..." the TigerVespamon said hushedly, adjusting his red scarf to cover up something on his neck. "I believe we should keep our... 'ties'... a secret."

"Oh, I agree. I wouldn't want to besmirch your good name," Khep said with a roll of his eye.

Barachiel sighed. "That is not what I mean... If people found out that we were brothers, they would ask why our names were different and then many more questions would arise. No matter what we answer, things would just get uncomfortable for everyone, so I believe we should keep it private," he explained.

"Fine," Kheprius agreed. "I'll try... but I'm still not callin' you 'Barachiel', Terrak."

"Very well then..." he answered detachedly. "Though I would prefer if you didn't call me anything."

"Whatever you say, choir boy," Kheprius said dismissively. "Uhh... Unless you want that fancy scarf ruined, you might wanna steer clear. I might havta puke."

"...Duly noted," Barachiel answered, beginning to walk away from him.

He proceeded further towards the outer limits of the garden, but stopped upon seeing a figure on their knees in the grass. Barachiel silently walked towards them, hearing sniffling as he grew closer. Upon closer inspection, the figure was that of a female WarGreymon, who he recognized as Aeria. While he had never actually spoken to her, the TigerVespamon felt it was his duty to try and comfort the sobbing digimon.

He inadvertantly moved towards her from behind stealthily and kneeled down beside her. Barachiel placed his hand gently on her shoulder. "...Are you okay?" he managed to ask warmly through his cool voice.

Pyra watched Gunnar, Sigurd and Dhazbog went drink-for-drink with each other while Ulik quickly poured them drinks from the keg and kept track of their drinking competition. She knew already that the end result wouldn't be pretty.

She glanced around, looking for some other of the newer Peacemakers that she may not have met yet. Pyra's eyes rested on the SuperStarmon who seemed to enjoy hanging around Duo and Lucia. She walked towards him and nodded to him.

"Hello, you're Justin, correct?" Pyra said to him as she outstretched her arm towards him. "It's nice to meet you; I'm Pyra Torren. ...How did you come to join the Peacemakers? Did Duo and Lucia invite you?" she asked curiously.

Meanwhile, Gunnar, Sigurd and Dhazbog were all struggling to properly connect the rims of their glasses with their mouths due to sheer drunkeness, but they still stubbornly continued.

"I... am going to beat you both, you looosers..." Gunnar said, looking to his left and playfully (yet clumsily) elbowing Sigurd beside him.

"You wanna fight?!" Sigurd growled, attempting to stand up, but stumbling to his left and collapsing on Dhazbog.

"You spilled my drink, jerk!" Dhazbog snarled, looking down at the WarGreymon collapsed on his lap.

"...Yeah? Well, you're my best friend, Dhazzy..." Sigurd slurred, wrapping his arms around the EmperorGreymon's waist. To this, the EmperorGreymon sighed.

"...What about me?" Gunnar whined, looking sadly down at his half-full mug. "...Nobody ever likes me."

"I like you, Gunnar," Sigurd said, giving him a thumbs up, though he wasn't looking, so it was pointed in the wrong direction. "But I don't like the things you say sometimes."

"I'm sorry..." he drunkenly replied.

"...You guys are drunk," Dhaz told them, drunkenly.

Ulik, who was overseeing the three's drinking challenge, had since dissociated himself from his friends out of embarrassment and was now somewhere over by the snack bar.
    Last edited by Griff4815; 13th September 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 21 is up.

While the Gigas-Ivy wedding concluded without a further hitch. Michael, while frustrated and irritated, kept his cool. Even the usually-disruptive Samael kept his shenanigans in reserve, knowing that Michael could go off at any moment. It didn't stop him from drinking until he fell over, but he didn't cause much more trouble, and as the night wound down, he promptly passed out on a set of stairs.

Morning came with a burning glare and ripped the hung-over wedding-goers from their stupor. Samael hauled himself to his feet and made his way over to the still-assembled refreshments table. He scarfed down a few pieces of fruit, a cheese danish, and a few glasses of water. He growled low, still irritated by the rising sun.

"Good to see you're still among the living," Michael said, revealing himself to Samael. The archangel stood silhouetted against the dawn. "We were worried that you, Kheprius, and Tyr's comrades would kill yourselves before this all even started."

"We can't be so lucky," Samael growled. "Any word on your search for Ol' Scratch?"

"No," Michael said with a sigh. "We haven't--"

"Council! Council! I must speak with the Council!" A shout went up through the courtyard as a young Deputymon came running through.

"What's going on?" Michael asked.

"There's been a disaster!" the Deputymon exclaimed. "Digimon are being killed all over Avalon's reconstruction; they've been slashed and burned to death! But no one has seen the attackers!"

"Wake the Peacemakers," Michael said to Samael. "This warrants our attention. You, Deputymon, report this to the Council."

"You think it's a Seal?" Samael asked.

"I have my suspicions," Michael murmured. "When the Peacemakers are gathered, have them meet me in Avalon. I'm going on ahead. Do not delay."

=====

"Oy, Peacemakers!" Samael said, addressing the assembled cast. "Mikey went ahead to Avalon so he put me in charge of your sorry selves. First order of business: I want to congratulate Gigas for scoring such a bangin' chick. Now, I'm kinda wondering how the whole wedding night thing went...logistically speaking. Like...uh...how do you--"

"What Samael is trying to say is we must be going," Thor interrupted, fixing the fallen angel with a disapproving glare. He spread his great wings and took to the air.

"Yeah, what he said," Samael muttered. He let out a high-pitched whistle and the Behemoth roared into view. "To Avalon, you freakin' pansies."

=====

Avalon wastes...

Michael stood upon a large pile of rubble, his gaze burned over the cityscape from behind his helmet, demanding Mephistopheles to appear before him, or at least for the seal to reveal itself. But he had no such luck. As the Peacemakers arrived, Michael prepared himself for the eventual swath of questions that were sure to arrive.

"Split up," he said, not giving them a chance to assail him. "Look for anything out of the ordinary, signal if you find something."

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Bedivere cast a glance out across the desolate ruins of Avalon from their position. The city had been razed by the Mikaboshi's rampage, he remembered all too well the fires, the destruction. He remembered how he had been slammed into the ruins by the monster's almighty attacks, by Dark Prominence, Bancho Blade, Ultima Burst, Broken Destroy and End of Paradox.

But now was not the time to dwell on those memories.

"Split up. Look for anything out of the ordinary, signal if you find something."
    The Slayerdramon cast a glare at the MagnaAngemon, before regarding the other Peacemakers. "As Michael said, search and signal if you find anything." With that, he flew off into the ruins...

-

The Lord of the Empty Seat landed, and as he touched down a burst of fire howled from his hands, forming into the bronze length of his Fragarach sword, which he took in hand, glancing around cautiously at the silent expanse of the broken city.

Advancing with care and attention to his surroundings, the knight turned his thoughts inward somewhat, recalling Michael's words earlier.

"You're right, Lord of the Empty Seat. You don't understand."
    The almost cynical tone in which those words were spoken had been unneeded, Bedivere had merely been trying to keep peace. They all needed level heads to achieve what was needed in this battle, they needed to be able to deal with Mephistopheles. Demons were tricky foes, good at manipulating friend and foe alike, and so the Peacemakers had to keep level heads.

"His wrath undoes the wicked," he whispered softly to himself, recalling the words of his oath, the oath he had sworn before the Council upon his formal ascension to the title of Lord of the Empty Seat, protector of the Digital World. "His blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak."

He continued his walk forwards, Fragarach at the ready...

-

Vritra did not miss the moment of friction between Bedivere and Michael, but paid it little mind. Their rivalries were none of her concern.

As she stalked the destroyed streets of Avalon, a burning heat haze surrounded her, the fiery god preparing herself for combat. There was something here, something dark, something wrong. The Rudri Tarpana on her arms rotated to ready position, beginning to glow with heat as her power flowed into them. Her head moved from side-to-side in quick flashes of motion, the BurningGreymon taking in her surroundings quickly, ready for any sudden attack as she advanced.

Plants under her feet which had sprouted from the ruins somehow blackened, withered and died under the intense heat she radiated, a crackling sound beginning to become audible, like that of a roaring flame.

She stopped dead, still turning her head rapidly to take in the ruins. It was too easy, too obvious! There must have been literally a hundred hiding places for ambushers along this street alone. The city was practically a death-trap, it reeked of death. But she wasn't afraid. Whatever fool dared attack her would burn.

"Why didn't you save me?" In a flash of motion she turned, taking in the Rapidmon stood before her. "Why did you let me die?!" Silence was her only answer, that and the crackling sound which became louder and louder as the heat haze shimmered more and more around her body.

"I had no part."

"Die!" The Digimon gave a feral howl and raised its rocket cannon arms, but Vritra brought her hands together with a roar of her own as her burning wings erupted outwards, a prominence of howling flame. In the space of her cupped talons, sparks ignited, a million at once, and fire burned.

"Pyro Barrage!" the fiery god roared in anger, pure and destructive fury. A howling burst of screaming flames erupted from her hands and consumed the Rapidmon, his form vanishing into the white-hot fires. Under Vritra's feet, the earth cracked and plants caught fire, the burning force of her fiery energies realized as a power to destroy all around her.

The flames fractured and she prepared to see only data in the wind, but what met her eyes brought shock to them, the sight of the unharmed Rapidmon, still held in the same pose.

"Rapid Fire!" he shouted, firing two rockets from his cannons. The projectiles screamed towards her, but Vritra beat forth her wings and arrows of fire ripped from them, spearing the missiles and causing premature detonation, a smokescreen forming from the explosions.

The BurningGreymon exploded forwards, swathed in flame that vented from her pores, her Rudri Tarpana glowing white-hot as they elongated into long, sword-like blades, burning with molten heat. Ripping through the smoke, she struck the Rapidmon as he tried to charge. Fire roared from her hands and speared him, but despite taking the flames full-force, he suffered no harm beside being knocked back slightly.

Eyes stained with rage and disbelief, Vritra roared and stabbed a blade forward. "Asura Blade!" The rabbit-like Digimon took the blow on one arm-cannon and pointed the other at Vritra's face, only to have her kick him aside with a vicious blow of her burning foot and rocket after him, striking him with fiery bolts from her wings before slashing with one of her fiery blades...

The weapon pierced right through him, but something was wrong. There was no blood, no pain in his eyes. And then there was that transparency... slight, only noticeable at this close range, but there, clearly.

She withdrew the blade and was shocked by the lack of a wound. The blow should have killed him. It was a perfect Digi-core strike, any living Digimon that took such a blow should have died. At the very least, they would have suffered massive, critical damage to their data-structure's integrity. There was something very wrong here.

"What the hell are you made of?" she muttered in a burning voice, before spreading her wings as flames roared from her pores, venting through her armor. Swathed in flame, she took the form of a burning dragon, and she roared the fury of the inferno to the heavens.

"Wildfire Tsunami!"

The flames exploded like a bomb, consuming the street in searing, burning fire. The ground cracked and melted, the air caught flame and a prominence of white-hot heat roared in the skies overhead. It should have incinerated all within the blast radius but Vritra herself.

Yet when the fires faded, there was the Rapidmon still, not even charred or blackened by the attack. But at least the explosive result of Vritra's technique served another, unintentional purpose...

-

The skies flashed white-hot, and the roar sounded across the ruins, a call to arms for the Peacemakers, though Vritra had not intended so.

Bedivere saw it in the heavens and knew instantly something had happened, something was wrong. He exploded into the sky, cape whipping in the wind, Fragarach catching light in his hand...

He barely saw them, only two shadows on the skyline, and then the world was filled by burning shades of crimson, gold and orange, the fiery light consuming him in heat, light and pain...

It was a second later that the words which had summoned the attacks reached his ears.

"Terra Force!"

"Final Crest!"

He was crushed into the ruins and the power detonated around him, a burning explosion which laid waste to a good part of the ruins, laying flat the shattered remnants of Avalon around him. With a roar he stood, only to be shocked by the sight of the two figures who strode toward him.

A WarGreymon and MedievalGallantmon approached across the ruins, the former readying Dramon Destroyers, the latter spinning his Dunas poleaxe in his grip. Both had eyes filled with hate and fury, those burning eyes fixated on the Slayerdramon.

"Why didn't you save us?!" the MedievalGallantmon howled.

"Why did you let us die?!" the WarGreymon added.

"Siegfried? Drachna?" Bedivere cried out in disbelief, and his voice quaked with horror and fear. They couldn't be here... they were dead. He'd heard the statements of those who saw them die... it was impossible!

"Dragon Crusher!" With a desperate cry, Bedivere brought up the Fragarach an instant before Drachna's Dramon Destroyers ripped through him with likely fatal results, given the Anti-Dragon qualities of the gauntlets. Sparks flew as the bladed weapons screamed off each other, and locked in the stalemate, Bedivere was dimly aware of Siegfried charging, Dunas raised, a howl of hatred ripping itself from the crimson warrior's throat.

Desperation flooded Bedivere, and his hands shone with an emerald light, words tearing from his throat. "Digitalize of Soul!" Bolts of power ripped from his hands even as they gripped the Fragarach, drilling into Drachna's face and blinding him with their intensity. With an angry howl, the WarGreymon was forced back, and Bedivere moved, releasing his grip on the Fragarach with one hand and raising the other as emerald power flashed across his palm again.

Three flashes of power and light shrieked from his grip and speared Siegfried as the knight prepared to decapitate Bedivere with a blow of the Dunas, crushing the knight away, though he gave no cry of pain, no indication of injury. This puzzled Bedivere for an instant, beforea roar filled his attention and he was forced to sidestep a wild blow from Drachna. Something was definitely wrong.

Both Siegfried and Drachna had been Avalonian soldiers, yet their technique seemed to have decayed to nothing more than feral blows of overwhelming power. They were pouring immense power into each strike, and somehow the Slayerdramon's counter-blows seemed to have very little effect upon them. This was wrong.

"What is this?" he snarled, before gripping the Fragarach in both hands. "Dual Blade!" The data composing the sword became visible, flowing chains of zeroes and ones which fractured and separated, reforming and welding together in new forms in both hands. Throwing out his arms to each side, the digital code ignited, and when the flames faded he gripped a shorter replica of his blade in each hand.

With a cry, the Lord of the Empty Seat ripped forwards towards Drachna, his swords burning with power as he struck a trio of blows to the WarGreymon in rapid succession, aiming to remove him from the fight as quickly as possible in order to avoid prolonged battle against an Anti-Dramon soldier. The blows were landed with perfect skill, testament to his personal training regime, two diagonal slashes ripping across the armored Digimon's chest, shoulder-to-hip, and then a twin blow which landed like a blacksmith's hammer against the WarGreymon's helm. It should have stunned him at the very least, and as such Bedivere was shocked utterly when he merely reacted by hurling a blow at him with a Dramon Destroyer.

Sidestepping, Bedivere spun his swords, flames roaring around the blades. It became evident he needed more force to put Drachna down in this case.

"Shoryu Slash!" he roared, unleashing fire from both swords as streams of molten power which speared Drachna and hurled him away in a fiery blaze, flames detonating around the draconic warrior as he impacted. He vanished into a blazing conflagration.

Bedivere turned and beheld Siegfried, who swung the Dunas.

"Rage of Wyvern!" Power screamed from the arc of his slash, a draconic burst which smashed into Bedivere's hastily-raised swords. Though the weapons served to shield him somewhat, he was still hurled back by the pure force of the attack.

With a feral roar, Siegfried charged, and Bedivere rose to meet him, readying his swords, only to be met with another roar from his side. He barely blocked two strikes at once, one from the Dunas, and the other from both of Drachna's Dramon Destroyers. Sparks shrieked forth as he strained to hold both off...
    [CENTER]

Credit for the banner goes to Kamotz

"Split up. Look for anything out of the ordinary, signal if you find something."
    Michael's words ripped through Kheprius' ears searing at his throbbing head from the inside out. "Hey, why don't you say that a little louder next time? I don't think the dead quite heard ya!" he snarled, hunched over, holding his head in his hands.

"Shut up, shut up, shut up!" Gunnar retorted, grimacing as he held his equally pained head.

"Come on, Kheprius," Pyra said with a roll of her eyes, grabbing hold of the bug's arm and pulling him.

"Can't you blast my digicore to pieces again first?" the reluctant Khep protested as he was dragged along.

Pyra scowled at the memory of her dark evolution. "If you keep bringing that up, I will," she warned.

Gunnar flew slowly over the ruins of Avalon, looking around from a low altitude. Despite his crippling hangover, Gunnar took to quietly singing a little ditty to try to lighten the up the horribly depressing atmosphere of the city.

"If there's somethin' strange... in the neighbourhood," the ShineGreymon sang in a murmur. "Who ya gonna call? Peacemakers!"

He looked around and saw nothing, so carried on and kept serenading himself. Gunnar failed to notice a shadow looming behind him in his flight.

"If it's somethin' weird... and it don't look good. Who ya gonna call?"

"Death..." a dark voice cut through the air behind him.

"No..." Gunnar replied, peeved that somebody cut him off and ruined his song. "It's 'Peacemakers!'" he told them, stopping his flight and swinging around to face the digimon.

"Your version doesn't even sound goo--" Gunnar cut himself off at around the same time that his face went white.

Floating in front of him was the ghostly apparition of a MirageGaogamon, whose distant eyes pierced deep inside of him, causing an unexplained sense of fear and the feeling that something was very 'wrong'.

"What... Who the hell are you?" Gunnar demanded, taking a few paces back and studying the digimon.

The ghost responded with a growl and lunged forward, stabbing his large gauntlets in Gunnar's direction. The ShineGreymon quickly reacted by flying backwards. "Okay, buddy, you want to mess with the lord of awesome? Fine by me!" he said, outstretching his wings and bringing his hands in front of the large blue orb on his chest. "Glorious Burst!"

Streaks of brilliant white energy burst from the lenses on his wings and chest, all piercing into the MirageGaogamon. Gunnar's eyes widened upon seeing that his attacks were going straight through the digimon yet seemed to do nothing. "Full Moon Blaster!" the spectre hollared as he fired a large beam from his chest.

"Crap!" sputtered Gunnar, flying upwards and doing a flip in the air as the torrent of energy passed under him. "G-Guys!" he yelled, looking over his shoulder. "I think I found something out of the ordinary!" Gunnar then outstretched his wings and gave off a bright, condensed blast of particles from his wings, giving off the appearance of a faded exploding firework to signal the others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As yells and attacks began to sound out from many directions nearby, Pyra turned around. "Something's going on," she told Kheprius. "Maybe it's Mephistopheles. You head towards Bedivere, I'll head towards Gunnar."

She made it three steps before stopping dead in her tracks upon seeing something standing ahead of her. Kheprius noticed her footsteps cease and the absence of a flap of her wings. She had stopped for some reason.

"Pyra? What's wrong?" he asked, turning around to look at her.

Pyra stood staring forwards in absolute horror, freezing her actions completely. In front of her was the incorporeal form of a Duftmon. Pyra could tell instantaneously who it was. None other than Sir Gawain.

The Paildramon's eyes were wide with shock and confusion as he slowly approached. "You forsook the world," he whispered stepping closer. "You're the reason we're all dead. If you hadn't resisted the Crusade..."

"What..." Pyra gasped, disguised among a sharp exhale. "How can..."

Kheprius' eye widened upon seeing the Royal Knight. "What the hell?" As he spoke, a laser grazed the side of his arm, eliciting a grunt from the monoptic bug. He swung around to see where the laser came from. The GrandisKuwagamon saw the smoke rising up from the end of something. Upon closer inspection from his blurred vision, he quickly recognized it as a lance. He then followed the lance back to its owner.

Kheprius recoiled upon seeing Sir Cador standing opposite to him, wearing a hate-filled scowl on his face.

"Ca-Cador?!" Kheprius stammered upon seeing the crimson dragon. "But I thought you died!" Though overwhelmingly confused, Kheprius did feel a slight sense of joy upon seeing the Royal Knight who he has a sort of friendship/rivalry with. "No... This can't be," he said, placing his hand on his head. "I'm just hallucinating or something from drinking so much. This is just part of one mead-soaked hangover..."

"...I did die," he growled. Cador then lunged forwards with the Ambrosius and a resounding roar. Gawain charged as well, ripping across the ground towards Pyra.

Kheprius' Gran Killers met Cador's lance and he was sent back, to be stopped by Pyra's motionless form. "What the hell! This is real?!" he shouted, his eye widening. "Why does bad stuff always happen when I drink?!"

As Gawain charged Pyra, she managed to snap herself out of her dread-filled reverie on instinct to pull both herself and Kheprius out of the way of Gawain's descending sword.

"How can it be? He'd dead. I saw him die. He was the one who formulated the siege. He was gone." Many thoughts raced through Pyra's mind as she backed away from him.

"Just like the old days, huh, Pyra?" Kheprius said with nervous humour before turning back to face his resurrected draconic counterpart.
    Last edited by Griff4815; 14th April 2011 at 4:11 AM.
    Chapter 21 is up.

"Are you okay?"

At first, Aeria hadn’t really noticed the hand on her shoulder, still caught up in the images that ran so strongly through her mind. The accompanying voice, however, had been enough to pull her out of her reverie and cause her to take a sharp inhale of air. She tentatively turned her head to her side to see whoever they belonged to, and she was a bit surprised to see someone she didn’t really know. She did, however, recognize him, a TigerVespamon, from the gathering of Peacemakers, although she didn’t really get his name.

She then blinked, remembering what state she was. “I-I,” she started, pulling herself up to a stand as the necklace-wearing TigerVespamon retracted his hand, leaving a spot of warmth on the armour she wore where his hand was. She did her best to pay it no heed.

The WarGreymon turned to him, using her hands to dry away the tears that she had ultimately been able to keep from falling. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, though looking downwards at her feet rather than facing him. “I shouldn’t have- you didn’t- I’m…” she trailed, off as she released her face to grip the side of her arm with a free hand.

She then bowed, biting her lower lip before speaking again. “Aeria D’Sinclaire,” she suddenly greeted, saying the only thing that she thought she could say. “I...will be fine,” she added as she resumed her standing position.

She was uncomfortable. That much was already obvious by her self-conscious and guarded posture. The silence was nerve-wracking, especially since she didn’t know what else to say. She bit her lip.

“I’ll be going,” she suddenly said, turning around and quickly walking back towards the wedding, unable to take feeling so…helpless and unnerved.

She hoped she didn’t make a bad first impression, unlikely as it seemed to her.

-------------------------------------------------------

“Huzzah!” Shoon cried out, jumping over a large rockface – or at least large for his height – and continued to dash through the ruins of Avalon, determined to find something of note to return to Michael or Bedivere or Thor. Heck, he’d return it to Nocchi, just as long as he got something to return.

He just knew it. He just knew that if he found something important then he’d have achieved something, and then it would only be time before he’d be someone great and powerful and famed across the land.

He then stopped without warning, his arms spinning in order for him to regain his balance and not fall flat on his face. A sneaky look came upon his face, having spotted something…interesting. He crept up to a pile of debris, his eyes sparkling. “Ooooh, what have we here?” he asked no one in particular as he stared at the piece of object that the sunlight glinted off of.

The Mamemon X grabbed it and pulled it from under loose rocks, and his eyes widened in glee. In his hand, he held an intricately-crafted and emblazoned silver amulet, albeit dirty with mud and dirt. The image wasn’t clear anymore, but the fact that it was silver, or at least looked like it, told of its possible quality. His eyes suddenly glazed over, his mind going into scenario mode as he started to imagine what he would look like when he finally became world-renowned.

There he was in all his glory, standing over the fallen bodies of his imaginably strong foes, unconscious rather than dead because he would need his enemies to spread news of his strength. He was, of course, stronger and far handsomer than they, so it made sense to him that he would be victorious, with the sunlight on his metallic body, gleaming and shining. And the bright light emphasized greatly on the cleaned silver amulet that he had found so long ago.

Back to reality, Shoon was already stuck in dreamland, holding the amulet to the side of his face as his eyes twinkled at his daydream; he was unaware of the being that approached him from behind.

“Why?” it said, though Shoon paid it no attention, too far engrossed in his fantasy. That is, until he felt himself get poked from behind.

“Wha?” he asked, turning around. And he blinked to see a Kotemon looking at him strangely. “What are you doing here? It’s dangerous!” Shoon reprimanded the rookie, waving a finger in front of him.

“Why didn’t you save me?” the Kotemon continued, raising the bamboo sword into the air. “Why!? Fire Men!” he exclaimed as his weapon burst into flames as he slashed down.

Shoon gave a yelp as he jumped to the side just in time to avoid getting burned. He pushed himself up, facing his assailant. “Hey! Don’t do that!” Shoon exclaimed, shaking a fist. “I should teach you a lesson!”

A weak one should show him who’s boss,’ he thought, a sly grin on his face.

Smiley Bomb,” he shouted, throwing a tiny sphere with a smiley face on it towards the Kotemon. It landed in front of the Kotemon, and then it exploded, kicking up dust and dirt, and it even forced Shoon to land on his behind.

His eyes widened. “Hey, hey! Are you alright!?” he called out frantically. He hadn’t meant for the bomb to be that strong. He had underestimated the power of his bombs. Galic did say that he should stop tinkering with his bombs since the forest fire incident…

The dust cloud cleared away with the wind, showing the Kotemon uninjured. “Oh, great! You’re safe!” Shoon said, relieved, and then double backed. “Wait a second…you’re safe!?” he asked, surprise written all over his face.

“…you left me to die,” the Kotemon continued, walking towards the Mamemon X. It was then that Shoon noticed the slight transparency about him. “…so we’ll bring you with us,” it added, as more appeared behind him. A Dinuhumon, a Gladimon, and a Yasyamon walked towards him, all bearing the same almost-see-through-but-not-quite quality that the Kotemon bore.

Shoon started to back up. “S-s-stay away!” he said as he got on his feet. “Smiley Bomb!” he shouted, throwing a stronger version of the bomb than the one he had thrown. His jaw practically dropped to the ground as he watched the spherical object pass right through the Dinohumon – nevermind that he was aiming at the Gladimon a few feet away – and explode right behind it, the light from explosion giving the four approaching Digimon a menacing and dangerous look.

Okay, so it seemed like that his bombs weren’t working on them. Plus, they were all transparent. However, since the Kotemon was able to hit him before, the same wasn’t true if they attacked him. Logic told him that they were ghosts, but logic also told him that ghosts weren’t supposed to be real (unless you include than Bakemon and Soulmon, but they’re more like Halloween costumes than real ghosts). In short, nothing was making sense at the moment.

So he did the only rational thing he could think of. Shoon screamed bloody murder.

And then, with the amulet still in his tightly gripped hand and arms in the air, proceeded to turn his back on them and flee, yelling, “Run awaaaaaaaaaaay!

-------------------------------------------------------

Grey Fire!”

Multiple balls of fire suddenly shot past Bedivere, smashing right into his two aggressors. They burst and coated their bodies in flames, and they grew in intensity as more and more fireballs shot past Bedivere and onto them. While the attacks seemed to do nothing physically, they were at least able to get the MedievalGallantmon and the WarGreymon to get back through sheer force of numbers, allowing Bedivere a moment of reprieve from the relentless attacks.

“Are you okay?” Aeria asked, rushing to the Slayerdramon’s side. Her face was worried and a bit nervous, unsure whether she had done the right thing in intervening. She couldn’t, however, stand to just sit and watch, so she had went against her better judgment and opted to help, or at least try to. The female WarGreymon turned back to the recovering attackers. “Um…I don’t think we should fight them,” she said, feeling unnerved at how seamlessly they shrugged off the fires of her attack.

She glanced at Bedivere as he replied to her, but she had to turn back as she noticed movement in front of her. She let out a shriek of surprise as Drachna tackled her like a speeding train, forcing her backwards and bringing her away from Bedivere to once again fend himself alone against Seigfriend.

Drachna stopped suddenly, but Aeria did not, continuing with the momentum that the male WarGreymon forced her in and making her crash into the ground without him to maintain the speed. Knowing that she shouldn’t stay still for too long, she forced herself back up on her feet a few seconds later, breathing deeply to calm her heart.

She restrained herself from biting her lower lip as she took in her opponent.

It was quite explicit that Drachna, though of the same species, was larger than her in both bulk and height. It wouldn’t have surprised her if he was also stronger than her. She wasn’t going to take the chance that he could overpower her. He gave her a heated glare that she couldn’t help but liken to the disappointed looks that her father used to give her whenever she failed to live up to his expectations. In fact, he almost reminded her of her father, which meant that she could at least expect some familiar things.

Great Tornado!” Drachna yelled as he started spinning, turning into a life-sized tornado that suddenly hurtled towards her at an alarming speed.

Reflex kicked in, and she was able to dodge by jumping to the side. Though smaller, she realized she was quicker as long as the element of surprise wasn’t factored in. She rolled into a stand, something which she had done frequently during her training sessions with her dad, and quickly raised her arms in the air, fiery orange energy gathering in her palms. The energy that was the size of an orange then grew in bulk, becoming a large mass of energy that radiated heat like a miniature sun.

Terra Force!”

Aeria shot the large energy ball towards Drachna, who had to stop after his attack missed. He didn’t move as the attack collided with him head-on, creating a massive shockwave that sent debris flying everywhere. The earth cracked and broke under the pressure and strength of the attack, adding more objects with which were blasted away. Flames darted from the explosion, catching fire to whatever flammable object it touched, as well as leaving a few trails of flames that simply landed on the ground.

Aeria braced herself, trying to keep an eye open through the blasting wind to look for the opponent that she had just attacked. She was worried; her Terra Force was never as large nor as powerful as the ones her father had shown her.

Her heart fell when she saw the male WarGreymon appear unscathed yet again. She took to the air, Drachna following suit with murder clear in his eyes. Aeria wasn’t sure she wanted to fight this one at all. He reminded her too much of her father.

She sped back towards Bedivere, keeping ahead of Drachna with her superior speed over him.
    There are stories made from the imagination. There are stories born from experience.
    There are stories told because of a need to be filled. There are stories that simply need to be told.
    This is one of them.

“Maybe there really is a method to his madness…or maybe he’s just plain insane."

Flames erupted, driving back the raging revenents that were Drachna and Siegfried. Bedivere glanced back in surprise as another WarGreymon - he recalled her name as Aeria from the commentary he'd received on the new Peacemakers courtesy of an Anatolian general - stepped up, driving the two foes back with her attacks.

“Are you okay?”

"I'm fine," he replied, readying his dual-Fragarach, keeping a wary eye on Drachna and Siegfried.

“Um…I don’t think we should fight them,” she continued.

"We don't have much..." he began, before Drachna rocketed forwards and hurled her away, following her in a blaze of motion. Behind the rampaging WarGreymon came Siegfried, Dunas drawn back for a lethal blow.

The poleaxe swung, ripping the air, but Bedivere caught the blow on one sword before ripping the other across Siegfried's chestplate, to no effect. The MedievalGallantmon gave a snarl and threw a kick at the Slayerdramon's knee, which was narrowly evaded at the cost of freeing the Dunas, Siegfried backhanding with the poleaxe and stabbing its pointed tip into Bedivere's shoulder.

A snarl of pain ripped from the dragon knight as a trail of blood began to run down his plate armor, and Siegfried withdrew the Dunas, evading the savage blows Bedivere hurled at him as his warrior's heart began to burn with fury at this impossible fight.

Emerald power flickered across his swords. "Digitalize of Soul!" Arcs of emerald tore forwards and ripped toward Siegfried, battering against the knight like ocean waves and driving him back with their breaking force. Bedivere gave a roar, and flame lit upon the blades. "Shoryu Slash!" Two diagonal sweeps of the blade sent a howling draconic inferno screaming towards the MedievalGallantmon, swathing him in hellish flames that grabbed him in their clutches and crushed him into the ruins, detonating in a cataclysmic fireball around the revenent.

Still he rose, emerging unharmed with the Dunas raised, burning with infernal energies.

"Rage of Wyvern!" The poleaxe hammered into the ground, and the earth split under the force of a screaming draconic force ripping across it towards Bedivere, who reacted, hurling himself aside to evade the blast, which clipped him and hurled him aside.

With a howl of berserk rage, Siegfried hurled himself at his fallen opponent, who rose, swords burning with power as he raised one and lashed it like a whip with a shout of, "Koryu Slash!" The chain-links composing the sword unwound and lashed, wrapping around Siegfried tightly. He snarled like a beast and raged, straining to break free, but was held tightly by the bladed chains the sword had become.

Bedivere stared at Siegfried for a long moment, before suddenly...

"Terra Force!" A burning blast smashed against him, detonating in a fiery explosion and hurling him forwards. He lost his grip on both swords, releasing Siegfried, as he was dashed into the ruins, shattering the stone upon impact.

One of Drachna's attacks aimed at Aeria had missed and managed to strike the Slayerdramon instead, and now the two WarGreymon were moving back to the battle of Siegfried and Bedivere, Aeria retreating in the face of Drachna's invulnerability and greater power.

Bedivere snarled as he stood, soul ablaze with a righteous anger at this fight. Siegfried was charging towards Aeria, apparently intent on dealing with her in a surprise attack, and the sight brought rage to Bedivere's eyes.

"His might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath undoes the wicked. The right can never die, if one man still remembers..." he recited in a voice of flame as his body began to glow in shades of emerald and sapphire, the rays reaching out and bathing the ruined street in their glorious illumination. Where they overlapped, they ignited into a burning shade of ruby, which began to blaze bright across the Slayerdramon's form as he closed his eyes and his words spoke out, regal and powerful...

"Behold the holy light born of exalted wings. I summon the strength of the Dragon Kings."

The burning crimson began to take shape, forming immense armored wings behind him as he began to grow in size, his dual-swords flying to his hand and transforming to crimson light...

"Beware our hopes transformed to light... Let injustice beware - an Exalted Knight!"

The swords in his grip burned and reformed, creating a long lance, which was gripped in his hand as his form grew, becoming larger and more muscular, his armor reforming to coat his new body, shining horns erupting from his skull to form a majestic crown of bone behind his head. The majestic wings spread out, burning with radiance that turned the gray stone around to blood-red.

"Exalted Evolution! Examon!"

With a majestic roar of anger and pride, Bedivere erupted into the sky, still burning with the evolutionary radiance. Aiming the Ambrosius lance in his hand, he focused his burning golden eyes upon Siegfried.

"Pendragon's Glory!" A hail of fiery laser-bolts tore from the Ambrosius and impacted around Siegfried, stopping the knight dead as he was bombarded by the burning shots.

As Drachna charged another Terra Force to attack Aeria, he suddenly found himself bombarded by a hail of shells from the Ambrosius, which detonated around him and encased him in freezing ice. With one opponent restrained for the time being, Bedivere descended to Aeria's side.

"Are you alright?" he asked, regarding Siegfried warily as the crimson knight stood, his eyes ablaze with hate...
    [CENTER]

Explosions ripped through the reconstruction ruins of Avalon as the risen dead took revenge on the living. As the Peacemakers engaged the ghosts more began to crawl from the rubble. They stalked forward, a vast, undead and undying army of lost souls: Digimon of all levels and types. They were the victims of disasters, the victims of violent ends, struck down by the Royal Knights' Siege and the war with the Mikaboshi. They scrambled over the crushed stone, their eyes empty and blank.

"Why did you let me die?" they asked the living. "Why did you let me die?" Over and over, repeated endlessly: it was the chorus of these witnesses to the horrific.

"Hold them back!" Michael shouted, attempting to banish the spirits with holy light, but they simply reconstituted and continued forward. Not even Samael's Gold Digizoid bullets were able to put down the ghosts for more than a few moments.

There was a sudden rush of movement as a white flash slammed into Thor and knocked him to his knees. Black rushed before him and hurled him back. Before him stood the incorporeal forms of Artorius and Lancelot.

"You let us die," Artorius accused. "You are a god. You should have saved us."

"It was not our place to fight the Mikaboshi," Lancelot said. "He is an enemy of the gods. He was your responsibility."

"You set him free," Thor growled, gripping the White Sword tightly.

"To save this world," Artorius said. "You left us with no other choice."

"Enough of this," Thor growled to himself. He stood and faced his two adversaries. He raised his sword. "Initialize!" Power flooded from the blade and bore into Lancelot and Artorius. The two dead knights were sundered from existence with a flash...only to reconstitute a few moments later.

"We cannot keep this up," Thor said as he blocked Lancelot's blade and shoved Artorius back. "There are too many of them and we cannot stop them."

"Yeah, it's hard to kill what's already dead!" Samael growled.

"Michael, what are they?" Thor asked.

"I don't know," Michael grunted as he pushed Tristan back. "Look for some sort of marking on their bodies. They're somehow related to the seals, but if we don't know which one, we can't undo this."

Monsters."

"We've gotta fall back, Pyra," Kheprius said, looking over to her.

It took a few seconds for Pyra to remover herself from her thoughts and listen to him. "Uh, yeah. We need to regroup with the others. You go first, I'll cover us," she said.

"Got it," Kheprius agreed, lunging into the air as a laser blast from Cador passed between his legs. "Yeesh, that was close," he muttered to himself, looking downwards.

"Desperado Blaster!" Pyra called, firing multiple beam bullets towards both Gawain and Cador while jumping into the air. She then turned around and sped after Khep.

There she saw Gunnar closing in on them, flying backwards and releasing a single burst from each of the lenses on his body in a consecutive fashion instead of all at once, hoping to suppress the MirageGaogamon who tailed him.

The ShineGreymon spotted Pyra flying nearby and gave her a quick nod. "Any ideas?" he asked.

"Hopefully Michael or Samael will know what's going," she responded as they headed towards the bulk of the Peacemakers. They landed between Thor and Barachiel, who were both busy fending off ghosts.

Barachiel narrowed his eyes as his two beam swords clashed with Sir Dagonet's Claiohm Solais spear once again. As the Craniamon retracted his weapon to attack again, Barachiel stabbed his right Royal Meister into the ghosts chest, only to have it pass through him without effect.

"We cannot defeat these by conventional means, it seems," he muttered to himself, darting to the right in order to avoid being cleaved by Dagonet's blade.

"Look for some sort of marking on their bodies. They're somehow related to the seals, but if we don't know which one, we can't undo this."
    The TigerVespamon nodded to himself and charged Dagonet once more. Their weapons clashed and the golden bug held firm against the spectre of the knight. However, he wasn't trying to break past Dagonet's spear, he was attempting to get in close enough to see the signatory.

His eyes furiously scanned Dagonet's incorporeal body. "Where is it?" he asked himself. Barachiel looked around every part of the front of the Craniamon's purple plate armour. "It's not on his weapon or his armour. Is it on his shield? Where could it b--"

In that moment, something caught his eye. The flowing piece of cloth that hung from Dagonet's belt fluttered in the breeze. Barachiel pushed hard against his swords as he took his attention on his enemy to look at the fabric. Indeed, just below the skull was a dimly glowing sigil about the size of a small fruit. The TigerVespamon had to focus all of his attention on it to make it out.

"Yes... That's it," he thought. He turned his head and looked behind him to the other Peacemakers. "Saint Michael! I fou--" Barachiel let out a throaty gasp as Sir Dagonet's foot connected with his stomach and sent him flying backwards.

His body hit Samael's, stopping his abrupt flight. Barachiel quickly pulled himself off of the demon and turned to Michael. "I think found it, Saint Michael. On Dagonet's sash was a small circle with an intricate design inside it."

"Great, so what now?" Gunnar growled, looking towards the Royal Knight in question. "Hey... it kinda looks like Tyr's drawing of Sig's face from when we were young," he mused. He then grinned. "Though it probably looks the same now."

"More importantly, why are the dead rising?" Pyra asked, drawing the spikes on her forarms and clashing with Sir Bors.

"You better know how to stop this, Mikey," Khep growled. "I don't suppose you can Gate of Destiny 'em?"
    Chapter 21 is up.

Default Huzzah, I Posted!

"So there are digimon coming back to life?" questioned Tia, "This is interesting, could be fun."

"Do not make jokes about this, it is very serious," said Hira, glaring at the Bastemon.

"Learn to lighten up big guy," teased Tia, "Anyways why are you with us again, I sort of got the feeling that you don't like either of us."

"Really?" mockingly asked Hira, "You really thought that, I wonder why? And for your information, I believe in strength in numbers."

"You two be quiet," Kole suddenly said. "Something's coming."

"No there isn't," remarked Hira, "In case you can't tell, there is nothing around us."

Suddenly Kole splayed his hand forwards and the Mihiramon was slammed backwards, just as an incorporeal pink knight's fist appeared where Hira's head was.

"Why Guinevere, you look so lively for someone who is dead," said Kole, "Clown Trick!"

Not wasting any time, Kole thrust his hands forward. Twin magic blasts burst out and wrapped around the Crusadermon. He waved his hands, and the blasts exploded, leaving huge cloud of smoke in their wake. However, once the smoke died down, Kole let out a gasp of surprise when he saw that Guinevere didn't even have a scratch on her.

"Guys, you might want to run," warned Kole.

"I don't take orders from anyone," snapped Hira, "Bǎo Bàng!"

He waved his tail, and it suddenly broke up into a three section staff.

"Vimohana!"

Hira swung his staff tail, and it resulted in a sonic boom being sent towards Guinevere. The boom slammed into her body and didn't even make her sway.

"Impossible," said Hira, "I have the power of Seiryu behind me, that should have done some damage to her."

"Let me have a go," said Tia, "I'll put this lady in her place. Helter Skelter!"

Tia started to sway her hips, and as she did so, her body started glow. She threw her arms out, and the energy burst from her body and wrapped around Guinevere and sank into her body.

"Next course, Vampire Dance!"

Tia slashed at the immobilized Royal Knight and six arcs of energy erupted from her claws. The arcs collided with the Crusadermon, but still there was no sign of damage.

"Why didn't you save me?" asked Guinevere, "You let me die."

"I had nothing to do with your death," said Kole, "You died because of Artorius."

"You let me die. Fist of Athena!"

With lightning speed, Guinevere burst forward, her Pile Buster slamming into Kole's abdomen.

"This again?" asked Kole, "Well let me tell you lovie, I am a lot stronger than I was before. Tia, Hira you guys need to run now!"

The two feline digimon nodded their heads and turned around, and started to run. As the two digimon ran, Kole unsheathed two of his swords.

"Bring it you ghost Knight!"

------------------------------------

"Hey, remember Michael saying something about a mark?" asked Tia as they ran.

"Of course I remember, you cat," snapped Hira, "I pay attention."

"You didn't happen to notice the mark on Guinevere's Pile Bunker did you?"

"Why yes I did, now that you mention it," replied the Mihiramon.

"Why did you let me die?"

Stopping in their tracks, the pair of digimon turned around and saw a Garudamon and a Knightmon.

"This could be bad," said Tia.
    Last edited by PeeGee; 17th September 2010 at 12:37 PM.

Samael elbowed Barachiel away, retrieved his dropped guns, and rolled back to his feet. He shot the TigerVespamon a dirty look and turned back to the battle at hand. Even his specialized bullets couldn't do more than briefly dissipate the angry spirits. Whenever they were struck they'd simply break down into a thin grey smoke and reform somewhere else a few moments later.

"Stupid bug," he growled. He overheard Khep's question, full of false bravado and confidence. "Yeah, Mikey, just G.o.D these creeps!"

"I can't," Michael said, answering Samael and Kheprius. "They're not alive. They're not even undead. They're angry spirits; they don't exist in the physical world. The Gate of Destiny would have no effect."

"Well that's just dandy," Samael hissed. He fired off another few rounds; they punched though the incorporeal spirits, but the spirits returned moments later. "Gah! How do we stop these things?"

"I can't see the mark on Dagonet clearly enough," Michael growled, still fighting off Tristan. His sword passed harmlessly through the apparition, and Tristan's hand closed around Michael's neck.

The archangel choked out a startled gasp as spots of light began to dance in his vision. Only his supreme willpower kept him from surrendering to the blackness. As his vision blurred, he caught sight of a strange, coin-sized marking branded onto the back of Tristan's hand. With a roar, Michael let loose a desperate Hand of Fate that dissipated Tristan, and Michael dropped to the ground.

"The mark," he rasped, rubbing his throat. "It's the mark of the Witnesses."

"The what?" Samael asked, kicking Bors away from him. "Witnesses to what?"

"All of these souls lost their lives during world-changing events, events integral to other seals," Michael said as he rose to his feet. "A powerful spell was used to raise and enrage these spirits; they were called here by force."

"How do we banish them?" Thor called out as he quickly parried a pair of strikes from Artorius and Lancelot. The two knights recovered and struck again, but Thor wheeled about with the White Sword and struck them down. "At least they're easier to take down this--GRAH!"

Thor stumbled forward as Lancelot's Supreme Cannon blasted him from behind. Artorius sprang towards him, ready to impale the Thunder God on his GradAlpha. But Thor blocked the strike with his clawed gauntlet, whirled about and lashed out with his Hyper Prominence.

"They were risen with a powerful spell," Michael said. "It would take an equally powerful spell to return them to rest. I don't--I don't know how to...This is magic beyond my understanding." He looked to the other Peacemakers. "Thor, can you use the White Sword's power to reformat their data? It might take them longer to reform and buy us some time."

"I will try," Thor said. He closed his eyes and held the White Sword before him. In his mind's eye he saw Artorius and Lancelot charging his way, but he paid them little heed. Time seemed to slow down as he searched for that soulful peace he felt during the battle with the Mikaboshi, and as he breathed in the light, he exhaled power.

It flooded from the White Sword with a brilliant glow, bathing the ruins of Avalon with all Thor's godly might. The ray struck the two knight apparitions and dissipated them. The other spirits in the vicinity were also momentarily banished by the light.

"That should buy us a few moments," said Thor. He turned to Michael. "We need magic; it caused this uprising, it is the only thing that can fix it."

"None of us here have that sort of power," Michael said. "Not even Kole possesses that type of magic. To do this we need a sorcerer with power on the order of Mephistopheles."

"Loki," Thor muttered, leaning on the blade. "Loki is as powerful as Mephistopheles if not more so. He can lay the witnesses to rest." On the fractured remains of a skyscraper, Artorius and Lancelot reassembled themselves. "Call him here, I can try to hold them off."

Again Thor closed his eyes and searched for that place of peace within his soul. His weary body sought to prevent him from reaching it, but his mind persevered. He breathed in the warm rays of enlightenment, and through the White Sword he exhaled his power.

Thor stabbed his sword into the ruined earth and knelt before it. He placed his forehead against the warm, beating metal and continued to breathe his steady breath. As his power seeped into the ground, light spread from his form; a circle, a half kilometer in diameter, spread from him, and all the vengeful spirits within were thrown away. They reformed at the circle's edge, but within the circle, Thor and the Peacemakers were safe.

"How long can Thoreo keep this up?" Samael asked, watching the glowing edges of the circle. His third eye afforded him greater vision, and he could see the hundreds of spirits massing outside. "They're gonna come back really p*ssed off."

"We need to reach Loki," Michael said. His mind raced; how could they get word to Loki? How could they--?

"Speak the devil's name and he shall appear," Loki said, materializing in the space between Michael and Thor. "Perhaps a poor choice of wording on my part, but the saying rings true, no?"

"Can you fix this?" Michael demanded, no longer in the mood for idle chit-chat. "Can you lay these spirits to rest?"

"No," Loki answered, glancing around. He seemed to sense that Michael was in no mood for his banter. "Not at the moment. The spell is too much for me as it is now. This spell is powerful and Mephistopheles is a master."

"Thor said you could do it," Samael said.

"And I can," Loki insisted. "But not as I am right now. Imagine the spirits are water behind a dam. Mephistopheles tore the dam down and let them loose. My spell must be infinitely more complex. I must first return the spirits to the other side and then rebuild the metaphorical dam that keeps them there." He turned a burning green eye to Michael. "If I had several hours I could do it without a problem. But as it is, my brother's control will falter in less than ten minutes and then we'll have legions of vengeful spirits trying to claw out our eyes. If I had more power..."

"What do you need to do it now?" Michael demanded.

"Power," Loki answered. He glanced over the Peacemakers. "You, Piedmon, Kole, come here. I need you to give me your power."

"My what?" Kole asked, recoiling.

"Your power, your magic," Loki answered. "The power and magic you possess innately and in your Apocalymon form; I will need that to send these spirits away." He looked around, his eyes finally settling on Vritra. "And I will need fire. Fire upon fire."

Vritra snarled and didn't move.

"You can either stand there and pout, in which case these spirits will soon claw you to pieces, or you can do as I say and you'll get out of here alive," Loki said, his arms crossed. "It's your choice, but please, make it now so I know whether to stay or not."

Vritra growled under her breath but stalked towards Loki. She fixed him with a burning glare but he simply rolled his eyes.

"Kole, come here," Loki said. He placed his hands on the Piedmon's chest. "This will be...unpleasant." He sent his will into Kole, consuming the Piedmon's power with fiery voracity.

Kole let out a great scream as Loki devoured his power, and he shrank down to his Phantomon form. Loki then turned to Vritra, his body quaking with pent up power.

"Vritra, kneel."

"I will not," the fiery dragon hissed.

"You will or you all will die," Loki snarled back. Vritra begrudgingly stepped forward and kneeled to Loki. "Now. I do not call upon a named force. I do not call upon powers born of gods or mortals."

Thor suddenly fell forward as his will faltered and his shielding broke. At once the legions of vengeful dead swarmed forward, clawing their way towards the Peacemakers; they seemed to know Loki's intent and raged towards him.

"Protect Loki!" Michael ordered. "Keep them back!"

The spirits swarmed over them, clawing and slashing and burning them with all their rage and fury.

"I call upon forces that were old when this world was young," Loki continued to chant. "I call upon power and will, to send these angry souls back to where they belong. I call upon these forces and bend them to my will."

Loki bent, eye to eye with Vritra, and breathed deep, drawing her fiery soul out through her mouth and into his. She fell back, exhausted from the effort and Loki reeled back. His body burned and quaked, but with his eyes clamped shut he whispered eldritch words of power. Then, with a roar, his eyes flashed open and his spell pulsed out over the city. The spirits, so close to cutting the Peacemakers to ribbons, simply crumbled away. The spell pulse quieted, and Loki fell forward, his body smoked and smoldered, but soon that too faded.

"There, it's done," the mischievous god said with a smirk. "Now, perhaps you could deal with the next seal without me having to resort to nearly killing myself." He stood and with a wave of his arm, he vanished: returned to Anatolia.

Michael stared out at the empty expanse of Avalon; so many more had died, all because of Mephistopheles's machinations.

"This was only one seal," Michael whispered, though the still air carried his voice to the others. "What horrors await us, I dare not know..."

Monsters."

Nocchi collapsed among the other Peacemakers. The battle with the apparitions, the ghosts of the dead, the phantoms of the deceased, had been intense, to say the least. His strings had no effect on them, for they were nothing more than shadows. Evil, enraged, powerful shadows, but shadows nonetheless.

With a sigh, the Puppetmon sat up and clutched his arm. It had been grazed by the claws of a wretched ghost during the combat, and it stung like heck. Nocchi cringed. "Nuts...that was the dumbest thing ever. I hate ghosts. They're spooky, and apparently excruciatingly strong."

Gigas had his arms wrapped around Ivy, who was on her knees, sobbing. She had seen the faces of many Digimon she had known. Digimon that had died in the battle with the Mikaboshi had appeared before her, shouting and screaming at her. And then they had attacked her. It was just too much to bear.

But Gigas had come to her rescue. He had stepped in front of her, so that she couldn't watch as he fended them off. Even with his strength, he could only floor them for a few moments. They were tireless and cunning. Thankfully, Loki showed up and vanquished the spirits, much to the relief of the Peacemakers.

Sha stood not far off, scanning the ruinous area surrounding them. Due to his heritage of god, angel, and demon, his spiritual presence was immense, and he could feel things that most mortals could not. These ghosts, though no longer present, still left him with chills. He could sense that things were only going to get worse from here forward. The Shawjamon shook his head and sighed.

Turning back to the Peacemakers, he said, "So what're we gonna do now, gang? It's obvious this Mephilistine guy is strong...incredibly so. And we have absolutely no idea what he's gonna do next...but he's in the Digital World, so finding him's not impossible."

(Credit for the banner image goes to All0412 from DeviantArt!)

Chapter Three: The Seashore House
    "Do you guys have any milk?"
    "No, but we have soda pop."
    "How about some fresh water?"
    "Fresh out. Would you like a soda pop?"

Aeria tried steadying herself on her shaky legs. The battle had taken a bigger toll on her than she realized. The whole time, she was fearing what she would do if he were part of them, if he was coming from her, a true ghost of her past. She feared that he would look at her with cold, hateful eyes, telling her that she had killed him. And she wouldn’t be able to say or do anything in reply but accept whatever punishment he would decide for her: most likely a quick death. Unless…unless she would lose consciousness once more…and that prospect wasn’t any better than the alternative.

She bit her lip, chasing away the memories before they could incite tears to accompany the pain in her heart. She needed to distract herself before her emotions overtake her completely. Crying after a battle, difficult as said battle was for them, was not a good impression to make.

The female WarGreymon looked around her, trying to find something or someone to take her attention of the growing number of heart-wrenching images that began to fill her mind. She found it in Bedivere.

She approached him, a sheepish and meek expression painted on her face. “Thank you…for helping me,” she said, hoping that her voice was loud enough. She could still remember when Bedivere had stopped Drachna from attacking her while she was dazed with all the explosions around her. “I’ve never been in a battle like that,” she whispered, remembering the small skirmishes that she had participated in before. They had never resulted in the damage that she had seen happen today.

Aeria turned her head when the Shawjumon began to speak out. Biting her lip, she thought to herself that she was of no use in such situations. She was even beginning to have second thoughts about even being there at all, since it seemed that she was proving herself to be a liability.

Shoon slumped against the ground, breathing quick and short breaths that would have surely turned into hyperventilation if he had run for a few minutes more. In his gripping hand, the silver amulet was held. He turned to it, looking a bit frightened.

He firmly believed that it was cursed. The ghosts had appeared to him right after he had it in his possession, and it made sense that whoever owned it previously left it for a reason. After all, who would want to be chased by ghosts that want to kill you?

Of course, if he bothered to listen to what Michael had been saying before, he would have known and understood that it was an ordinary accessory that had nothing to do with the spirits of the dead rising back to life, albeit an accessory that would have cost a small fortune if he sold it. Unfortunately, he did not.

He stood up, winding the arm that held the accessory. “I don’t want this cursed thing anymore!” he yelled out, throwing it forward with all his might, closing his eyes and not really paying attention to where it was flying.

The moment he opened his eyes, he spotted the silver piece of jewellery fall down on someone’s unsuspecting head, causing him to widen his eyes and open his mouth. Of all the people it landed on, it had to be the one he knew had a temper: Kheprius Aeolus.

The moment the bug turned to him, he raised a finger in the air and yelled out, “I did nothing!” And then he pointed randomly, unwittingly ending up pointing to Nocchi, who was also closest the closts to him at the time. “He did it!” the Mamemon X yelled out.
    This is one of them.

Duo let out a sigh of relief as the spirits vanished thanks to Loki's spell. He had never really seen the council member as a particularly trustworthy individual, but it looked like had had actually pulled through for them this time. At his side, Lucia slumped down and sat on the ground, her sword laying on the ground next to her. The battle had been tough, it had taken a toll on both of them, both physically and mentally. Lucia had gotten a bit struck by the ghosts wails herself, and she had very nearly started blaming herself for not saving them, even though there was no way she could have.

Duo placed a hand on her shoulder, wincing as the recent injury in his arm started to flare up. He had taken a heavy blow to his arm during the fight, and while it didn't look to be anything too serious, it still hurt. Lucia looked back up at him and nodded. She too was glad the chaos was over.

Of course, this had all had a pretty drastic effect on a certain other member of their trio. Justin had taken a knee and was breathing pretty heavily. He had one hand across his chest, and by the looks of it was still trembling a little bit.

"Hey, are you alright?" Duo asked.

As soon as the words left Duo's mouth, Justin straightened up and coughed as he regained his usual proud composure. "Oh, oh yes. I'm fine. Couldn't be better." He did a few stretches before turning back to Duo, still winding his arm. "But, you know, just out of curiosity, you guys don't do stuff like this all the time do you?"

"Oh no." Lucia said. "Sometimes we fight demons, other times a whole battalion, sometimes even legends, and every now and then we seem to find a manifestation of some primal force. So no, its not always ghosts. Sometimes it worse."

The fact that she was smiling the whole time she said this never seemed to reach Justin. "Oh, well, I see." He cast a glance at the other Peacemakers. "Its no issue, I am a hero after all. If more ghosts show up, I'll just have to pound them too. Haha... ha... ha."

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it soon enough." Duo said. "At least, I hope we do. Things are getting crazier and crazier around here lately."
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    Watch your step! Sig Under Construction!

"So what're we gonna do now, gang? It's obvious this Mephilistine guy is strong...incredibly so. And we have absolutely no idea what he's gonna do next...but he's in the Digital World, so finding him's not impossible."
    "Yeah, all we have to do is follow the trail of havoc!" Gunnar wisecracked as he made his GeoGrey Sword disappear in a shining flash of flame. Despite his seemingly light heart, the ShineGreymon had seen many fellow soldiers that he recognized among the ghosts and it did take its toll on him.

"Then we'd be chasing our tails because havoc seems to follow us," Khep responded dryly.

"Mephistopheles has five hundred seventy-nine seals to choose from and he only needs forty-five more," Barachiel said, his grip tightening on the Royal Meister swords in his grasp. "We cannot predict where he will strike next just by guessing."

"But unless we can predict where he will strike next, we're in trouble," Pyra answered.

The TigerVespamon nodded. "We cannot afford to be even one step behind him..."

"Easier said than done," Khep muttered, before glancing over to Hira. "Hey, Deva, think you can get your master to use whatever powers he has to give us an advantage over Mephistopheles?"

"Forget him," Gunnar said as he turned his attention to Michael and Samael. "This is more of an angel and demon matter..." he explained, his voice embittering on the word 'demon'.

"Lucky us..." Kheprius deadpanned. "Ninety-nine percent of both those groups have no intentions of helping us and the one percent that are..." Khep trailed off, leaving it open to interpretation.

A few moments later, the bug digimon felt a small object clonk him on the head and proceed to get hooked on his pincers. He ripped the amulet from his scissor-like horns and inspected the amulet that had been thrown at him. "... Throwing pawn shop rejects? Honestly, Sammy, use your big boy words."

“I did nothing!” Shoon shouted. before pointing randomly, unwittingly ending up pointing to Nocchi, who was also closest the closts to him at the time. “He did it!” the Mamemon X yelled out.
    It was in this moment that Khep realized that it wasn't Samael who threw the amulet, but Shoon. Kheprius grinned and took a menacing step forwards. "You know, Shoon..." he began.

"Shoe," Gunnar corrected, raising a finger.

"...You look kind of like a cannonball," he suggested, peering down at him. "I wonder... if we lit one of your sashes on fire, would you eventually explode?"

Barachiel found Kheprius' teasing of the younger digimon a bit morbid. He opted to hold his tongue however, there were more important things to discuss and he didn't want to sidetrack them by starting up anything.

Gunnar glanced over to the trio of Duo, Lucia and Justin. His eyes focused more on Lucia, however. He found her rather attractive, but knew she was in a relationship with Duo, so he decided not to attempt anything.

"Oh, well, I see," Justin said, casting a glance at the other Peacemakers. "Its no issue, I am a hero after all. If more ghosts show up, I'll just have to pound them too. Haha... ha... ha."
    "You might wanna wait until your knees stop shaking... hero," Gunnar jested, smirking.
    Last edited by Griff4815; 21st September 2010 at 9:03 PM.
    Chapter 21 is up.

Bedivere was caked in burning light, which faded to reveal his Slayerdramon form as he shed his evolution in the aftermath of the battle. He fell to one knee, taking in gasps of breath, the fight against the Witnesses had taken a toll on him.

Vritra gave a snarl of anger and with a beat of her wings, she glided away from the other Peacemakers, landing perched atop a head of rubble as flame crackled around her form, reacting to her burning frustration and rage. The BurningGreymon continued to snarl anger, staving off the feeling of exhaustion running through her. To have to rely on anyone but herself was an experience she loathed, and she silently swore to never allow it to happen again.

What made it worse was not just having to rely on another's power over her own, but how powerless she had been against the Witnesses. Despite all her power, she hadn't even scratched them, and that just made her even angrier. If she didn't know better, she'd have sworn Mephistopheles was laughing at her right then, which made her eyes burn brighter with rage.

"I won't be made a fool of," she snarled bitterly...

-

"Are you alright?"

Bedivere glanced sideways at Guinier, who was looking at him with concern, Caradoc standing just behind her like a shadow.

"Fine," the Slayerdramon murmured, standing up with a glance at Michael. "I'm fine." They both knew he was lying, but Guinier knew raising the issue wasn't needed. Bedivere was just angry, angry that they'd been led into this, angry that Mephistopheles had already taken so much life as an after-effect of breaking a single seal.

"We'll make him pay," Caradoc said, also picking up on the knight's anger. "When we find Mephistopheles, he'll pay for what he's done."

"His wrath undoes the wicked... his might upholds the weak..." Bedivere whispered. "This shouldn't have happened. We should have found Mephistopheles first, before he did this. Vritra was right... we should have found and killed him, before he could cause this to happen."

"We didn't know where he was, and 'what ifs' and 'we shoulds' won't do anything," Caradoc replied. "We can't change what happened here, but we can learn from it and be ready." Bedivere fixed his jet-black comrade with a chill gaze.

"You don't know how it feels to be responsible for this," he said softly. "How many lives were lost, because I preached caution? Because I didn't listen to the advice I was given?"

"You're prepared to listen to her over us?" Caradoc retorted, gesturing to Vritra fierily, his eyes hardening. "Do you even know who she is, Bedivere? Vritra Ahi. She's a mercenary, a cold-blooded killer who sells her services to whoever the hell she thinks will give her a good battle. She doesn't care about who dies, so long as she can kill. That's who you intend to let advise you?"

"If she gives the right advice, then yes!" Bedivere snapped. "If I'd done as she said, this wouldn't have happened." Caradoc shook his head with a bitter sigh.

"You've changed," he said with a bitter tone. "I can understand that you fee guilty, but to even consider..."

"I am your leader!" Bedivere interrupted. "I am the Lord of the Empty Seat, the chosen protector of the Digital World, Caradoc Stern!"

"Shouting at me about your title and prowess changes nothing," Caradoc replied just as sharply. "You think you're a leader? A true leader will listen to each and every suggestion, and make a sound judgment at the time. A true leader doesn't blame those under his command when the wrong choice is made, and he doesn't lament that choice. He moves forward, learning from it as to not repeat his error. So stop shouting, and start planning our next move, Bedivere." With that, he turned and strode away, Guinier following him with a look of disapproval back at Bedivere, whose eyes narrowed, before he gave a sigh of bitterness...
    [CENTER]

Pyra growled and strode forwards, hearing the heated argument between Bedivere and Caradoc. "Fighting each other isn't going to help us either," she said firmly, transferring a scowl between Bedivere and Caradoc. "Even if we followed Vritra's advice, we still would have no idea where Mephistopheles is. And Bedivere, I know I'm the last person who should be doing any sort of preaching, but Caradoc has a point. As you probably recall, I have made a grave, irredeemable mistake in the past... but we can't let the past blind us to what must be done in the present. All of us must decide what course of action we should take right now. ...So does anybody have any suggestions?"

Barachiel looked in Michael's direction calmly. "...Could there be any sort of pattern that Mephistopheles is following? Is there any possible way we can figure out his next move?"

"If he broke this seal recently, he can't be far away from Avalon, right?" Gunnar suggested. "I mean, that's assuming he's breaking the seals himself and doesn't have minions of some sort doing this stuff..."
    Chapter 21 is up.

"You might wanna wait until your knees stop shaking... hero," Gunnar jested, smirking.
    Justin turned around slowly to face the ShineGreymon. "What was that Sparkles? If you want to duel, then just say the word. A true hero never backs down form a challenge." The SuperStarmon threw out his gloved fist towards Gunnar as he finished, and he held the pose, waiting for a response.

"A true hero doesn't go around picking fights either." Lucia said as she placed a hand on his shoulder.

He had no choice but to agree. "You do have a point. I'll prove my point next time we face danger. Mark my words Sparkles, I shall outdo you at every turn from this point forward. We'll see who has the true heroic spirit!"

Barachiel looked in Michael's direction calmly. "...Could there be any sort of pattern that Mephistopheles is following? Is there any possible way we can figure out his next move?"

"If he broke this seal recently, he can't be far away from Avalon, right?" Gunnar suggested. "I mean, that's assuming he's breaking the seals himself and doesn't have minions of some sort doing this stuff..."
    "We can't rule out that possibility I'm afraid." Duo offered. "If there weren't so many seals, we might stand a better chance of tracking him down."

Justin nodded. "Yes, why did they make six hundred seals if only sixty six needed to be broken? It seems that they would stand a better chance of having less broken if they didn't have so many."

"I'm sure they had their reasons Justin." Lucia said. "But back to more pressing matters, wither or not Mephistopheles was here himself, the fact remains that the seal was broken recently was it not? In that case, either Mr. M or one of his minions should be somewhere around here. Is there any way we could locate them if that's the case?"
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    Watch your step! Sig Under Construction!

"...You look kind of like a cannonball," he suggested, peering down at him. "I wonder... if we lit one of your sashes on fire, would you eventually explode?"
    "I-I-I-I," Shoon stuttered, stepping backwards slowly. "I-I-I...! W-what do you mean? I-I didn't do anything! I said so!" he exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air in attempted exasperation. For a few seconds of staying in that position with Khep still giving him the evil eye, he resorted to his fall-through plan. "Run awaaaaaay!" he said, running behind large debris that hid his small body with speed that you wouldn't have guessed for someone with short legs like his.

Of course, he didn't stay hidden for very long.

"Yes, why did they make six hundred seals if only sixty six needed to be broken? It seems that they would stand a better chance of having less broken if they didn't have so many."
    "I have an idea!" Shoon suddenly shouted, popping up behind Justin, right across from where he had supposedly jumped from. His eyes were twinkling, seeming to have conveniently forgotten about the GrandisKuwagamon's threat a few seconds ago the moment that he thought he could prove his worth.

"I wondered about that too, but maybe it's because the Demon Lords are so powerful that they need more than one seal, the power of approximately five hundred thirty-five high-level seals, in order to make a barrier strong enough to contain the Demon Lords. As a precaution, they might have added sixty-five more seals, totalling to six hundred seals, so that on the off chance that one of the original five hundred thirty-five seals would be broken, the barrier would still be functional because of the presence of one of the sixty-five extra seals would keep the Demon Lords from breaking out," he said, explaining his idea and showing the intelligence that his mind was capable of. “It also means that there’d be more seals to break instead of just one safety precaution,” he ended, folding his arms smugly. He waited silently with a smile one his face for the praise that most likely wasn’t going to come.

He didn’t move a budge even when Lucia started speaking.

-----------------------------------------

(OOC: I will edit this if Kamotz replies to my question with an okay. If not...forget you read this.)
    This is one of them.

Justin turned around slowly to face the ShineGreymon. "What was that Sparkles? If you want to duel, then just say the word. A true hero never backs down form a challenge." The SuperStarmon threw out his gloved fist towards Gunnar as he finished, and he held the pose, waiting for a response.

"A true hero doesn't go around picking fights either." Lucia said as she placed a hand on his shoulder.

He had no choice but to agree. "You do have a point. I'll prove my point next time we face danger. Mark my words Sparkles, I shall outdo you at every turn from this point forward. We'll see who has the true heroic spirit!"
    "You're on, Twinkle!" Gunnar responded, raising his fist, expanding his shimmering wings, and pointing at him with his other hand. "And by the way, the Etemon impersonators club is that way." He grinned and pointed back in the direction of Anatolia.

Meanwhile, Khep chuckled to himself as he scared Shoon off temporarily. However he soon reappeared behind Justin.

"Simmer down, hotshots," Kheprius said, rolling his eye. "You'll both get to do your over-the-top heroic crap during our next encounter."

"I wondered about that too, but maybe it's because the Demon Lords are so powerful that they need more than one seal, the power of approximately five hundred thirty-five high-level seals, in order to make a barrier strong enough to contain the Demon Lords. As a precaution, they might have added sixty-five more seals, totalling to six hundred seals, so that on the off chance that one of the original five hundred thirty-five seals would be broken, the barrier would still be functional because of the presence of one of the sixty-five extra seals would keep the Demon Lords from breaking out," he said, explaining his idea and showing the intelligence that his mind was capable of. “It also means that there’d be more seals to break instead of just one safety precaution,” he ended, folding his arms smugly. He waited silently with a smile one his face for the praise that most likely wasn’t going to come.
    "It's just too bad that they didn't think to make it so that all six hundred of the seals had to be broken," Khep muttered. "Sounds like the Holy Host got a bit too cocky when designing this system, doesn't it? 'Six hundred seals? No, they'll never get past sixty-six!'"

Barachiel narrowed his eyes in irritation at Khep's suggestion that the Holy Host had committed the sin of Pride. "I am sure that that was not the reason, Kheprius..." Barachiel said, his voice calmed, though not without the bitterness added at the end. "And blaming the Holy Host now is no better than blaming ourselves. You are only adding to our problems. Instead, why don't you help us by thinking of a solution?"

Kheprius locked eyes with his secret brother and narrowed his red optic. "As you command... Terrak."
    Chapter 21 is up.

Dedigivolving into Phantomon, Kole fell to the ground, still moaning in pain.

"Kole are you alright?" asked Tia, rushing over to the Phantomon.

"Yeah, I am fine," replied Kole, "Though I think that I might need a little while before I can digivolve again."

"Well that is sort of understandable," said Tia. "Can you get up?"

"I don't really know," moaned Kole, "I'll give it a try."

The phantom swayed from side to side, and slowly he started to rise. Suddenly he fell to the ground, Tia catching the ultimate digimon.

"Perhaps I should help you," said the Bastemon, "You know, just in case."

"Yeah," agreed Kole.

"Hey, Deva, think you can get your master to use whatever powers he has to give us an advantage over Mephistopheles?"
    "Lord Seiryu has done all he can, you impotent bug!" snapped Hira, sore over not being able to defeat the digimon. "And don't talk about my master, you have no right!"

The Mihiramon couldn't believe that Seiryu wanted him to help this bunch, it only seemed like a few digimon were even worth his time. And there was the fact that they had allowed demons into the group!

"Bedivere," Michael said, turning to regard the dragon knight. "Shut up. You're nothing in this. You're less than nothing. And your ignorance is sickening. Lord of the Empty Seat indeed, you travel down a familiar path to your own self-induced demise. Or did you suspect the title meant nothing?"

"Some seals are more easily broken than others," Michael answered. "They would be what one would typically go after. That is where one would expect Mephistopheles...but to expect his actions is to play into his hands."

"If Mephistopheles is any sort of sorcerer he can travel across the world in a moment's notice," Thor said, shaking the dust and ash from his wings. "Loki just showed us that. And Duo's right. Alone, Mephistopheles would not stand a chance if he came across us, I would be quite surprised if he did not recruit some form of assistance."

"It's just too bad that they didn't think to make it so that all six hundred of the seals had to be broken," Khep muttered. "Sounds like the Holy Host got a bit too cocky when designing this system, doesn't it? 'Six hundred seals? No, they'll never get past sixty-six!'"
    "Shoon is more-or-less correct," Michael answered, turning to Khep with an angry glare. "As it was, the Inferno was a maelstrom of fire without shape or form. In the war with the fallen angels, the Demon Lords were defeated one-by-one, and their black and twisted souls were drawn into that fire. When I struck down Lucifer and Satan, the Host's leaders knew they had to act quickly. They used powerful magic to manipulate the Inferno and transform it into a prison: a physical place that they could hold the Demon Lords for all time. They needed locks so they created the seals. The six hundred angels of the Grigori gave their lives to create them, and once the spell was complete there was no going back to change it. They knew only sixty-six would need to be broken; that's how powerful the Inferno is, but those were desperate times."

"No less than now," Samael quipped. "It'd be helpful if we could repair the seals or make some new ones."

Their conversation was interrupted by Hira's outburst. The Deva snapped and snarled at Khep.

"Lord Seiryu has done all he can, you impotent bug!" snapped Hira, sore over not being able to defeat the digimon. "And don't talk about my master, you have no right!"
    "Shut yer yap, kitty kat," Samael sneered. "We've mouthed off to the ol' blue snake more times than I can count. And uh...how do you figure Khep's impotent? He's shootin' blanks? That's some good ammo there. Pun intended."

"Wait, Khep might have the right idea," said Thor.

"That impotency's the way to go?" Samael asked, his eyebrow raised. "Trouble with the missus, Thoreo?"

"That Seiryu and his brothers might be able to help us," Thor said. He chose to ignore Samael. "The four Harmonious Compass Gods have been known to reveal future events so long as they know what they're looking for. We know what to look for: the Seals. We can ask the four gods to look into the future of the seals."

"We should go now," Michael said, his voice short and quick. "We can't waste anymore time here. It's a dead end."

"What's the rush?" Samael asked.

"The more time we waste here the more time Mephistopheles has to break another seal," Thor said.

Samael shrugged.

"And even worse," Michael said. "If we know this about Seiryu, you can bet Mephistopheles does as well."

==========

Palace of the Harmonious Compass Gods...

A dark figure made his way through the palace towards the throne room of the four gods. As he neared, a contingent of eleven Digimon assembled to oppose him. But none of their weapons, claws, or fangs managed to graze his flesh. A flash of power spread from his eyes and hurled the Devas to the floor, reduced momentarily to their Rookie forms.

"Excuse me," Mephistopheles said with a laugh. "I don't have an appointment, but I'm sure your lords will see me." He flung open the doors to the throne room. "Greetings, lords of the north, south, east, and west. I come with a gift."

"Mephistopheles!" Seiryu roared angrily. "Aurora--"

"Please be quiet," the demon said, raising his hand. A flash erupted and Seiryu's twelve Digicores ensnared the blue dragon with a glowing chain. Another gesture, and the remaining three gods were chained as well. "Much better. Your attacks would work so well if you only stopped speaking them out loud."

"Damn you, demon scum," Suzaku the red sparrow snarled.

"Yes, yes," Mephistopheles said with a dismissive wave. "As I discovered which events would break the seals, I learned an interesting thing: you four can combine your powers and read the future--and with sixteen eyes between you, it's no wonder." He paced back and forth across their throne room. "And what an interesting coincidence that you four were also mentioned in the seals. The blinding of the Old Gods." Mephistopheles's hands and eyes began to glow blood red. "How fortuitous..."

Monsters."

"And even worse," Michael said. "If we know this about Seiryu, you can bet Mephistopheles does as well."
    Nocchi stamped his foot down and said, "Then let's get outta here! We're wastin' time shootin' out mouths off! I knew all along we should be goin' to see Seiryu, but you guys wouldn't let me get a word in!"

His nose promptly grew several inches.

Gigas placed his huge hands on his hips. Ivy and Sha followed his example. Scowling at the Puppetmon, the three Digimon growled, "Nocchi."

Nocchi cringed. "Alright, fine. So I wasn't actually thinking that."

Ivy turned to stare over the ruins of Avalon, her home city, once again. She hadn't realized what she was getting herself into when she decided to join the trio of Nocchi, Sha, and Gigas. She hadn't realized how much heartbreak they must have suffered, how many deaths they must have seen, how many comrades they must have lost.

She looked back at her husband, the massive insect that stood with the other Peacemakers. How much had he been forced to endure? And could she do the same?

She jumped a little when she felt a hand rest on her shoulder. Whirling around, she discovered Sha standing there, a smile on his face. "Cha-haw. You're worried. I can tell," the Shawjamon chuckled. "Don't worry. Everything's going to be alright. And we'll pull ya through it all, 'kay?"

Ivy nodded. "Thanks, Sha."

"No problemo, Mrs. Kranatos!"

(Credit for the banner image goes to All0412 from DeviantArt!)

Chapter Three: The Seashore House
    "Do you guys have any milk?"
    "No, but we have soda pop."
    "How about some fresh water?"
    "Fresh out. Would you like a soda pop?"

"Great, let's go see the Sovereigns then!" Gunnar said, turning away from Justin and giving a thumbs up to the rest of the group.

"Yeah, let's... And don't get your hopes up, Sammy," Kheprius said, cracking his knuckles and casting a glance to the nearby demon. "I'm thrivingly functional, I'll have you know... If you need proof, I can give you a few addresses, but I don't think I'd want to put them through that."

"Kheprius... silence," Barachiel said as he stifled a grimace.

"Anyways, Stripes, I don't suppose you can lead the way back to your master's place, can ya? I'm sure you've hacked up enough hairballs on Seiryu's doorstep to know where he lives, am I right?"

"Either way, let's get a move on," Pyra said, finding it quite hard to be patient at that moment. "Who knows what he has planned next? It's just a shame we don't have mass teleporting capabilities."
    Chapter 21 is up.

"Anyways, Stripes, I don't suppose you can lead the way back to your master's place, can ya? I'm sure you've hacked up enough hairballs on Seiryu's doorstep to know where he lives, am I right?"
    Hira growled at the bug, he was starting to get annoyed by him.

"I know where he lives, but I am not entirely sure that he would let you enter his sacred abode," snapped the tiger, "He does have standards after all."

"Should we stop him before he gets hurt?" Tia whispered into Kole's ear.

"Nah, it might teach Hira a lesson," replied Kole.

"Let's hope, must be difficult walking with that stick jammed so far up."

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast