Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Volume 53 and PokeSPedia discussion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    7,498

    Default Volume 53 and PokeSPedia discussion

        Spoiler:- :

    It's here! It's finally here!

    At least it will be, it's only 1 in the morning in Japan at the time of this posting.

    Either way, use this to discuss volume 53, which comes out today. I don't think a separate thread for PokeSPedia would get as much discussion, and they come out on the same day so might as well make one thread for both.
    Last edited by lolipiece; 7th August 2017 at 6:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Srakaland
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Why would PokeSpedia get less discussion than Volume 53?

    Volume 53 is just a compilation of already-known chapters (possibly with a few minor changes, but those are never big), while PokeSpedia is something brand-new, unprecedented and simply curious. I'm actually much more hyped for PokeSpedia than the new volume. Nonetheless, I understand your decision - one thread is enough, I guess.

    I really hope that PokeSpedia comes out interesting and that it does contribute to the lore with a bunch of new interesting facts.
    I'd also like to see some scrapped material in it (like those scenes with Crys's Kabutops in the artbook, which was incredibly cool), but I guess that's rather unlikely.
    I wonder if it'll get translated by Viz... The last artbook did, so why not? Although this one requires far more work.
    Last edited by Maxim; 7th August 2017 at 7:25 PM.
    I don't come here as often as I used to, do I?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Table of Contents for Volume 53:

    Chapter 532: VS Tornadus Therian Form I
    Chapter 533: VS Tornadus Therian Form II
    Chapter 534: VS Deerling
    Chapter 535: VS Beheeyem
    Chapter 536: VS Kyurem I
    Chapter 537: VS Kyurem II
    Chapter 538: VS Thundurus Therian Form
    Chapter 539: VS Landorus Therian Form
    Chapter 540: VS Mandibuzz

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    7,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryousha View Post
    Table of Contents for Volume 53:

    Chapter 534: VS Deerling
    ...Unless the chapter got some changes in the volume, that should be Sawsbuck.

    I guess later printings can fix it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Why would PokeSpedia get less discussion than Volume 53?

    Volume 53 is just a compilation of already-known chapters (possibly with a few minor changes, but those are never big), while PokeSpedia is something brand-new, unprecedented and simply curious. I'm actually much more hyped for PokeSpedia than the new volume. Nonetheless, I understand your decision - one thread is enough, I guess.

    I really hope that PokeSpedia comes out interesting and that it does contribute to the lore with a bunch of new interesting facts.
    I'd also like to see some scrapped material in it (like those scenes with Crys's Kabutops in the artbook, which was incredibly cool), but I guess that's rather unlikely.
    I wonder if it'll get translated by Viz... The last artbook did, so why not? Although this one requires far more work.
    Because we do not know what its content is. Perhaps waiting for its content to be released there will be more people to discuss.


    About the Poke Spedia limited ver.
    688d7a061d950a7b1b3abc2500d162d9f3d3c94d.jpg

    ------------------

    The volume 53 back cover.
    975b8882d158ccbff48950db13d8bc3eb035419b.jpg
    Last edited by e9310103838; 8th August 2017 at 4:09 AM. Reason: Double posting

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Mexico
    Posts
    394

    Default

    I wonder if Marlon will return before the arc ends, besides a cameo.

    I really hope there is new content in the volume.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    7,498

    Default

    To those wondering:

    Whi-Two's birthday is September 16.
    X's birthday is November 6. He is 12 years old in XY.
    Y's birthday is February 2. She is 12 years old in XY. (Blue was beaten by a preteen?!)
    Sun's birthday is August 31. He is 11 years old in SM.
    Moon's birthday is January 1. She is 11 years old in SM.

    As reported a few months ago, Black and White are October 8 and 5, respectively. They are both 13 in BW and are 14 by the arc's end. Black's age is listed as ? in B2W2.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Downtown Hell
    Posts
    141

    Default

    C'mon, Roxie! Do more cool stuff in Vol. 54!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    To those wondering:

    Whi-Two's birthday is September 16.
    X's birthday is November 6. He is 12 years old in XY.
    Y's birthday is February 2. She is 12 years old in XY. (Blue was beaten by a preteen?!)
    Sun's birthday is August 31. He is 11 years old in SM.
    Moon's birthday is January 1. She is 11 years old in SM.

    As reported a few months ago, Black and White are October 8 and 5, respectively. They are both 13 in BW and are 14 by the arc's end. Black's age is listed as ? in B2W2.

    I knew it that Sun and Moon were 11 because of the age requirement for the island challenge. No surprise too, and Moon's birthday is on New Year's day
    Last edited by horrahforyou; 8th August 2017 at 5:39 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Height and Weight!

    Red 172 cm 58kg
    Green 175 cm 60 kg
    Blue 165cm 48 kg
    Yellow 148cm 39kg
    Gold 168cm 52kg
    Silver 170cm 53kg
    Crystal 162cm 46kg
    Ruby 163cm 49kg
    Sapphire 158cm 45kg
    Emerald 125cm 28kg
    Diamond 151cm 51kg
    Pearl 157cm 45kg
    Platinum 153cm 39.5kg
    Black 165cm 47kg
    White 161cm 44kg
    Lack-Two 152 cm 50kg
    Whi-Two 150cm 43kg
    X 149cm 40kg
    Y 153cm 43kg
    Sun 141 cm 42kg
    Moon 145cm 38kg

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryousha View Post
    Height and Weight!

    Red 172 cm 58kg
    Green 175 cm 60 kg
    Blue 165cm 48 kg
    Yellow 148cm 39kg
    Gold 168cm 52kg
    Silver 170cm 53kg
    Crystal 162cm 46kg
    Ruby 163cm 49kg
    Sapphire 158cm 45kg
    Emerald 125cm 28kg
    Diamond 151cm 51kg
    Pearl 157cm 45kg
    Platinum 153cm 39.5kg
    Black 165cm 47kg
    White 161cm 44kg
    Lack-Two 152 cm 50kg
    Whi-Two 150cm 43kg
    X 149cm 40kg
    Y 153cm 43kg
    Sun 141 cm 42kg
    Moon 145cm 38kg
    Are the heights and weights of the first ten relative to their latest arcs? (For example, ORAS arc for the Hoenn trio and Red/Blue).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    It seems Black & White 2 arc will finish in Volume 54.

    https://twitter.com/MangaMagJapon/st...46053987057664

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    745

    Default

    I thought X and Y would be older than 12, like 14-16

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    2 PokeSPedia pictures.

    https://twitter.com/karubiimunomono/...54683877023745
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Srakaland
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    So, this reveals that Crys's Mother's name is Mirei.

    Also, these character profiles look nice, but I guess only PokeDex Owners get them? Still, I hope the book also has at least some info about side characters, too.
    I don't come here as often as I used to, do I?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pika09 View Post
    Are the heights and weights of the first ten relative to their latest arcs? (For example, ORAS arc for the Hoenn trio and Red/Blue).
    They have to be, as otherwise they'd be too tall for their first arcs.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lucid Dimensions
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Just picked up Vol. 53 today (unfortunately the SPedia had some hiccup in shipment so I don't have it yet).

    The subtitles:
    532 Legendary Tornado
    533 New Sword Player
    534 Chorus Competition
    535 Angry Boy
    536 Storage Battle
    537 Colress Machine
    538 Therian Forme
    539 Frozen World
    540 Flying Ship

    A few highlights:
    1) the preview confirms that Vol. 54 will wrap up B2W2
    2) from the 'Aspertia school materials' between chapters, we see a notice board for school activities
    - the hiking club will visit Mt. Coronet of Sinnoh at some point
    - the flower arrangement club will arrange the Gracidea
    - the cycling club shows an image resembling the silhouette of Red on his bike
    - the astrology club shows an image of the Bouffalant zodiac, but the words say 'we will also arrange accomodation to see the Litleo meteor show'. Now this is a bit strange since the Litleo meteor show already occurred in ORAS (which was way before B2W2). Unless the Litleo meteor show comes frequently, this may be a typo?
    3) Another between-chapter school material shows student association council member jobs such as cleaning/food/health, we see the special guests as Baker Chris, Doctor Logan and Janitor Geoffrey
    4) Whitwo's hails from White Forest, her more proficient subject in school is 'Pokemon Status', echoing her use of Clear Smog in the Sewers
    5) Leo is 11, birthday in Feb, best in Pokemon typings class
    6) Hugh is 12, best in Pokemon abilities and battle class
    7) At the beginning (where the previous chapter recall is), we see the International Police's 'assignment letter' to Lacktwo, first to apprehend the Seven Sages, and second to retrieve the memory chip
    8) At the very end, we have Lacktwo's Kyurem report back to the HQ, detailing his encounter with it at the Cold Storage (I wonder when he managed to write it, maybe when he was wandering on the Frigate), a note on Zinzolin being Grey 2 years ago, how Kyurem's powers have powered up the Frigate's weapons and sail, and finally a query on the keywords 'absorb' and 'fusion'. He mentions that Kyurem's body is highly unstable, which is why it constantly generates freezing air to maintain its shape (interesting take on Kyurem's biology). However, it is 'apparently looking for better ways to stabilize its body', which clearly refers to abso-fusing Reshiram and Zekrom

    Retcons compared with the online version:
    1) P.15 of Chapter 532: Lacktwo's Xtransceiver is drawn, previously his wrist was empty
    2) Chapter 533: Keldeo now uses Icy Wind (a legal move it knows) instead of Ice Beam, though this shouldn't have freezing effects
    3) P.76 of Chapter 535: Whitwo's Xtransceiver is drawn in similarly
    4) P.74 and 80 of Chapter 535: just retcon of Leo being previous League's Top 8 and Hugh's 'I'm getting ready to unleash my rage' Japanese wordings to match the game's
    5) P.184 of Chapter 540: somehow they decided to redraw Whitwo and Lacktwo riding on Genesect, with Whitwo having her eyes clenched shut here
    6) P.185 of Chapter 540: Keldeo's horn 'sword' aura is drawn, where it took down the Plasma Grunts' Pokemon while on Genesect
    7) P.187 of Chapter 540: again, somehow they decided to redraw how Techno Blaster blasts through the Grunts and their Pokemon
    8) P.193 of Chapter 540: they added more shades to the walls and warp panels in the Frigate

    =====================================

    All in all, a long-overdue formal Vol. 53, but honestly, it doesn't deviate too much from the online version bar some aesthetic retcons which honestly didn't mean much. The only notable change is Keldeo's Ice Beam retconned to Icy Wind.

    And in case my long paragraph made you miss the details, the one thing that really caught my attention was the mentioning of the Litleo meteor shower, which seems out of place unless this nebula(?) gives off meteors on a regular fashion.

    P.S. oh and of course there's that obvious error of listing chapter 534 as VS Deerling when it should have been Sawsbuck (with its photo highlighted at the back flip)


    Coronis~
    Last edited by Coronis; 9th August 2017 at 9:27 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Hmm. Guess no word on when Volume 54 is coming out, huh? Oh well, at least when that's done, it should be quick releases of the XY and ORAS arcs, what with most of their works already being done. Maybe we'll even get lucky to where the volumes are released semi-monthly again! Then again though, I shouldn't get my hopes up. Volume 54 could come out during Generation 8 for all we know.

    My guess is Volume 54 should only be about 8 chapters long. That's more than enough time for B2W2's climax, and maybe even time for the first chapters of XY.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lucid Dimensions
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Some selected scans of the new materials:
    1) Lack-two's Kyurem File
    2) The notice board with the Litleo meteor show mention
    3) Vol 54's preview, where they used the art of the B2W2 folder (but forgot the shine in the characters' eyes like they always do)
    {translation} What is the fate of Lack-two and Whi-two who were frozen and dropped from the Frigate? Meanwhile, Rood and Hugh are both tracking back to the dorm to retrieve the memory card! An astounding mechanism exists to change Kyurem to a new appearance! Who is left to take on this frost dragon? Chapter 11 will end in the coming volume, you have to see it with your own eyes! What is the conclusion to Unova's story!? And about the resurrection of the Hero of Truth...?

    Retcon comparisons (left is Vol. 53, right is Webry version)
    1) Lack-two's Xtransceiver
    2) Whi-two's Xtransceiver
    3) Riding on Genesect scene
    4) Keldeo's 'sword'
    5) Techno Blast scene
    6) Wall and warp panel shadings


    Coronis~

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    7,498

    Default

    Ooh nice. The redrawn scenes are a bit more dynamic.

    Ah, so Hugh is still in the game. Good. Was almost worried he'd be knocked out until everything is over.

    Quote Originally Posted by iml908 View Post
    Hmm. Guess no word on when Volume 54 is coming out, huh? Oh well, at least when that's done, it should be quick releases of the XY and ORAS arcs, what with most of their works already being done. Maybe we'll even get lucky to where the volumes are released semi-monthly again! Then again though, I shouldn't get my hopes up. Volume 54 could come out during Generation 8 for all we know.

    My guess is Volume 54 should only be about 8 chapters long. That's more than enough time for B2W2's climax, and maybe even time for the first chapters of XY.
    Volume 54 will come out when the chapters for it are finished and released, just like with this volume.

    And no, if it's ending next volume, let it be 100 percent B2W2. XY is already done, so making volumes for those shouldn't be too hard.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    My copy of the PokeSPedia is shipping today. Hopefully, I'll get it before next tuesday, which is the final day of my vacation. Judging for the pics that leaked, it seems pretty good.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Where there is snow.
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Some selected scans of the new materials:
    2) The notice board with the Litleo meteor show mention
    Is this Red's (silhouette) first BW cameo? And Litleo Meteor Shower? Was that from ORAS?
    Since volume 54 is the last of the BW saga,how many volumes will XY have? ORAS might have 2 or 3.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoDude-5000 View Post
    I thought X and Y would be older than 12, like 14-16
    I remember there being implications (through a few bits of dialogue in the post-game) that the PC in X/Y was around 16/17. Plus since X's backstory is that he was a tournament trainer at a young age so unless he was somewhere between 6-9 when he did it, it's sort of hard to believe he's only 12. Hell, even making him 14 would have made a bit more sense.
    ~Disclaimer: If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared to not only retract it, but also to deny under oath I ever said it. ~



  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    7,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Briankelly130 View Post
    I remember there being implications (through a few bits of dialogue in the post-game) that the PC in X/Y was around 16/17. Plus since X's backstory is that he was a tournament trainer at a young age so unless he was somewhere between 6-9 when he did it, it's sort of hard to believe he's only 12. Hell, even making him 14 would have made a bit more sense.
    He was a prodigy. That's why the media hounded him so much in the first place.

    The younger you are, the more attention you'll get for something like that.

    He also states he was holed up for five years, though they don't specify whether or not it was five years from that day.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Briankelly130 View Post
    I remember there being implications (through a few bits of dialogue in the post-game) that the PC in X/Y was around 16/17. Plus since X's backstory is that he was a tournament trainer at a young age so unless he was somewhere between 6-9 when he did it, it's sort of hard to believe he's only 12. Hell, even making him 14 would have made a bit more sense.
    Since Y was not afraid of public dressing... (Although she developed well like Whi-two) lol

    And Leo was just nine years old in the Pokemon league tournament even into the top eight. (Though at the same age, Professor Oak still thought Emerald was too young to give him the Pokedex.)


    About Pokedex holders' height and weight, they are generally too thin. Though it seems to meet the Japanese aesthetic of the juvenile, as well as part of their actual age.

    Green (male) and Lack-two's height and weight are in line with Yamamoto said before. They are through the physical training. (And Gold, Ruby, and X are non physical training according to Yamamoto said XD)
    Last edited by e9310103838; 10th August 2017 at 3:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •