Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Perspective: A Pokémon POV One-Shot Contest!

Default Perspective: A Pokémon POV One-Shot Contest!

Perspective:
    A Pokémon POV One-Shot Contest

Wild Fan Fiction Contest Appeared!

Welcome, one and all, to SPPf’s newest one-shot contest, Perspective! After having seen a long line of successful contests on this forum with themes ranging from writing genres to celebrations of upcoming games, we decided to try something a little different. And so, as the title suggests, the theme of this contest will be the Pokémon’s Point of View! This contest is a celebration of the creatures we have come to know and love, giving writers the opportunity to tell the stories of these fantastic beasts from their own eyes. Neither human nor animal, Pokémon all have their own fascinating stories to tell, tales of friendship and battles, of new opportunities and change, of adventures and the struggles they face along the way. Now is the time to bring those stories to life.

The rules of the contest are few and simple. All rules of the fan fiction forum apply.

1. Entries must be written from the perspective of a Pokémon of your choice in first person, second person or third person limited point of view. Without this, your story is not qualified to enter the contest.

2. All non-legendary Pokémon, including those from the Isshu region, may be used. Legendary Pokémon can appear or be referenced, but this contest is not about them.

3. Entries must be original pieces written specifically for the contest. They should not be posted on this forum or any other until judging results have been posted.

4. Entries are to be submitted to Dragonfree via Private Messaging or her e-mail (antialiasis@gmail.com) before the deadline of midnight on November 15th, 2010, EST. One entry per person.

5. This is a one-shot contest, meant for short stories only. There is no exact minimum or maximum length for entries, however stories will be judged on whether or not they are the appropriate length by each individual judge. This means that if a judge feels that an entry was too short or unnecessarily long, the entry’s score will be marked accordingly.

Addendum: The actual subject of the story doesn't matter, as long as the perspective is a Pokémon's and reflects the differing perceptions of Pokémon and humans.

The judges for this contest are:

Dragonfree: long-time fic-writer and fan fiction moderator
    Psychic: less active veteran fic writer/reviewer and moderator
    purple_drake: thorough reviewer and fanficcer experienced in a wide range of genres
    Negrek: occasional but thorough reviewer and recurring contest judge

Each judge will rate entries based on their own preferences. Some common criteria judges will be looking at are:
    Grammar – it goes without saying that all entries should be thoroughly proofread to avoid having as many errors as possible. Entrants may have proof readers to help them go over their fics as well. Points will not be docked if entrants choose not to capitalize “Pokémon” or the names of species, as long as they are consistent.

Character – keeping in mind that Pokémon are not mindless machines, we hope to see strong characters who develop according to their situation.

Originality – something done in multiple entries has a lower chance of impressing the judges. However, keep in mind that you can definitely earn points for something old done in an original way.

Portrayal – this will be judged according to the judges’ personal opinions, but we hope to see the Pokémon chosen portrayed in a way that makes sense. Pokémon are not humans, nor are they exactly animals, and we like to see this in the narration.

So that’s it! Questions, comments, concerns and the like are welcome, so please don’t hesitate so speak up. We wish the best to all prospective contestants, and look forward to a vast array of entries.
    Good luck to everyone, and have fun!

~the judging team
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 23rd May 2013 at 2:55 AM. Reason: Fixing garbled é's.
    Ever wanted to attend a Pokémon convention?
    Check out Pokéthon, a new sub-event at Otakuthon in Montreal, Canada this August!

Like us on Facebook for news and updates!

Finally, another contest! I have done Pokemon POV stories before, so this shouldn't be too hard for me. Already have an idea in mind, though I'm busy at the moment. >.> Hopefully I'll enter this one.

FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

This should be fun--I think I might tell a day in the life of a Pokemon from the POV of a Pichu

Well, I've never written a Pokémon POV story before but since I've two months to preapre, I'll probably give it a shot.

A question tho- I understand we're not to post the specially-made oneshots here but what about other sites?
    Crossroads of Infinity

Some say each of us is the hero of his or her own tale. Some experience this more vividly than others, some desire it more than anything else and sometimes, just sometimes, these tales clash and intertwine when one least expects them to.

Ooh, I do like a good Pokémon POV. Hopefully I'll be entering this contest, then; seeing this thread spurred me to start trying to think of ideas, and fairly quickly I managed to get hit by a plotbunny. Or rather, a characterbunny (do those exist?) - one which I shall hopefully have quite a bit of fun with.

Maybe writing something different will help me regain some momentum with my main fic, too.
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.

Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

Three Heads Are Better Than One

I prefer pokemon POV over any other, any day, so I might try to think of something for this too.
    Digimon Club
    Chapter 14 of A Dragon in Shining Armour is up.

Author's Profile (New)
    Banners by Sworn Metalhead ^ and Anastasia R. v ----pairs with Diamondpearl876
    Claimed: Grovyle (6/30/10) and a second time (11/10/13).

I will make this deadline.... I will make this deadline...

I will make this deadline...

*Tapes sticky note to forehead*

Oh, and:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladar View Post

A question tho- I understand we're not to post the specially-made oneshots here but what about other sites?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    3. Entries must be original pieces written specifically for the contest. They should not be posted on this forum or any other until judging results have been posted.
    I'm not a judge, but I would assume it applies to websites too. I think the goal is to put us all on equal footing. Hope that answers your question.

I've never submitted anything for a fanfic contest before, but hey, I'll give it a shot! I really like Pokemon POV fics, and I have an idea in mind as well.
    Last edited by Mallymkun; 12th September 2010 at 7:48 PM.

Entering! Got my fic ready to go, just need some proofing done and I'll be set!

"Poe was the first writer to write about main characters who were bad guys or who were mad guys, and those are some of my favorite stories."
    -Stephen King

I write odd slice of life stories about Team Rocket. If that's your thing, give them a look:

Alpha Male- behind every friendship is a story. Perspective contest fourth place winner.
    Secretary- A short and cynical tale of paperwork and sadism
    Survival- A novella about the unbreakable bonds between one man and his feline friend. 2011 Pokemon Big Bang story.

Quote Originally Posted by rokettololi View Post
    Entering! Got my fic ready to go, just need some proofing done and I'll be set!
    Holy crap, that was fast. I haven't even finished fleshing out my full idea yet.

Hehe, never underestimate a fervent writer. Mine would have been done by now too if I hadn't gone to bed early.

Not that I'm planning to actually enter it for a couple of weeks, though. I plan to let it sit before coming back and rereading it.

No, this is real interesting. I don't write much Pokemon POV, so it's a good chance to try it. Pokemon see the world in a different way, I'd imagine. For example, I'm focusing a lot on smell in my entry, which isn't a sense you normally give great attention to, but for a canine Pokemon, it's just so important.
    Artificial [R]
    Reviews posted since April 5, 2010: 4 and counting
    Chapters/oneshots posted since April 5, 2010: 4 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by . IC Ghost . View Post
    I will make this deadline.... I will make this deadline...

I will make this deadline...

*Tapes sticky note to forehead*

Oh, and:

I'm not a judge, but I would assume it applies to websites too. I think the goal is to put us all on equal footing. Hope that answers your question.

Ooops, my mistake. It was late at ngith when I read that. Sorry!

Anyway, I've already got the basic idea fleshed out. Hope I make the deadline, with trying to work on my main fic and all that other jazz.
    Crossroads of Infinity

Some say each of us is the hero of his or her own tale. Some experience this more vividly than others, some desire it more than anything else and sometimes, just sometimes, these tales clash and intertwine when one least expects them to.

Hmm... I've never entered a One-Shot Contest before, so I'm definitely thinking about doing this one. I have what I think is an interesting idea, so it all depends upon if I can plan it all out and make it fit into a One-Shot ^^

*Trawls through unfinished ideas bin/folder*

I knew you'd come in handy one day!

I'm really glad I have that idea, one that I like, with five lines of text to build upon. Hop along dearest Plot Bunny, I intend to follow you to completion!
    Skogsrĺ

Gardenia never liked the Old Chateau, but what if the Old Chateau liked her?

Author's Profile

I'd love to try this out.

Now here's hoping an idea pops in within the next few days...

to extend our reach to the stars above

fics: A Friday / Berries / Ever Grande / Stars / Wishes / Perish / Menu

Can it be based off a fic we're already doing? Like, I had an idea based on Obsession, from the POV of Veronica's Ralts.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

This looks terribly exciting.

I have a question, though: does the story have to be told entirely from the (one) Pokemon's POV? Are we not allowed to switch perspectives to say, another Pokemon or even a human?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    Can it be based off a fic we're already doing? Like, I had an idea based on Obsession, from the POV of Veronica's Ralts.
    I'd say sure, though of course you'd have to make sure it makes sense without having read the established fic.

Quote Originally Posted by In a Quandary
    I have a question, though: does the story have to be told entirely from the (one) Pokemon's POV? Are we not allowed to switch perspectives to say, another Pokemon or even a human?
    Switching to another Pokémon's perspective is fine. A human perspective is a lot more questionable; I'd personally say it's okay to have human-POV portions, but they would need to be there to enhance the Pokémon-POV portions. We'll be judging your portrayal of the Pokémon POV, after all, and the human POV obviously won't do much for that.

Chapter 63: Recovery
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

I'd like to try my hand at this if I'm not too busy in the upcoming months. I might be able to pull it off. Never entered a contest here before; should be a new and fun experience!

Now to find a worthy idea... ><

~blue
    ~Keep on truckin'!~

Thanks to Zadros for the banner!

Not coming soon, but
    it's a pretty banner, yes?

Since we get points off for too short or too long entries, how long would you say is enough?

It's not about the actual length so much as whether it's the appropriate length. If the story would be better if it were longer, it's too short. If it would be better if it were shorter, it's too long. Don't lengthen the story just to get it to some particular number of pages; lengthen it if there's something that genuinely warrants expanding upon.

Chapter 63: Recovery
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Okay, then--so essentialy write long enough for the story to tell itself

*peeks out of lurker-hood*

Ooh, a contest. Sounds like fun, I guess I can put off BF for a while longer. Hopefully I can get around to finishing something. And hey, what's this? An idea that's been floating around in my head forever that'd actually work here? Oh plotbunnies, I love you so. <3

I'm looking forward to seeing how people think particular Pokemon should be portrayed. And which Pokemon the one-shots will be based on. This should be really neat ^_^
    FF.Net profile | Blazing Frost | Project Valentine | River Styx | Hexachromalurgy | Fizzy Bubbles

Latest PV pair: Green/Yellow - I guess you could call it accidental.

What pokemon is everyone doing? I've started writing, myself, but I'm curious as to what species are the stars of other peoples'.
    Digimon Club
    Chapter 14 of A Dragon in Shining Armour is up.

Author's Profile (New)
    Banners by Sworn Metalhead ^ and Anastasia R. v ----pairs with Diamondpearl876
    Claimed: Grovyle (6/30/10) and a second time (11/10/13).

Ooh, another contest! No entry for me this time (I haven't finished writing a single thing since last contest XP), but these contests do bring a lot of tasty one-shots to the fanfic section! I'll probably write something anyway, just to feel like I'm 'in', though I'll spare you judges the pain and torture of having to read my cliche'd-ridden fics.

Good luck to everyone, I hope you all can plan a wonderful and tasty idea and learn from each other and the judges after contesting!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast