Thread: Because Blue Harvest did it (5th gen RMT)

Default Because Blue Harvest did it (5th gen RMT)

As you can tell most of you probably don't see me often. I haven't played actual pokemon in months. But with B/W I might slide onto the competitive scene. So without further ado, let me begin. Please note that this is the first real competitive team I have ever put together. EV distributions may seem very odd since I don't have experience with them. What I can start off on the bat is working out type synergy, which is what I'll attempt. Forgive if I don't type out the names. Some are Japanese and I don't want to type them out.

BulkyDragonite: @ Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Multi Scale
    EVs: 252 HP, 204 Spd, 48, Def
    Attacks: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Roost, Dragon Dance

He's the lead, or anti lead. Although I don't think I can call him an anti-lead yet. With his new ability there's a very good chance that he can fire off two dragon dances. With this set all too often the foe will die or switch. Or at least that's what I have in my head.

Roopushin

SubPuncher @ Leftovers
    Nature: Sassy
    Ability: Encourage
    EV's: 252 HP, 50 Att, 202 Spd.
    Attacks: Focus Punch, Rockslide, Payback, Substitute.

Now, I like this pokemon as alternative to Hihidaruma which I predict will initially be roaming around everywhere. There's the iron fist ability, but he doesn't get very many punching moves. With his monstrous base attack and stab focus punch really doesn't even need the 20% increase. Iron fist can be tossed out.

Now there's guts, but that won't work if I'm running a subset. That leaves me with encourage, boosting my rockslide making it have a higher base power than stone edge but better accuracy. So the ghost candle will actually hesitate switching into this monster. The last slot needs a decent filler move. I would consider tuant, but he seems to slow to use it. Obviously there's no speed EV's because he's already slow as hell.

Mothra.

Special Sweeper @ Life Orb
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Flame Body
    EV's: 4 Def, 252 Spd, 252 Spe
    Attacks: Bug Buzz, Fire Blast, Butterfly Dance, Hidden Power Ground

Great sweeper. Stealth is an issue yes, but it only needs once chance to set up to be a potent threat. I don't whether to choose Swarm or flame body. Flame body would be nice because after a set up, the things that can stop this most likely won't be shooting off from the special side. Having a would be physical counter crippled with a burn makes me smile in spite. But there's also swarm, an equally viable ability. I'm leaning more toward swarm because I don't know whether this moth can even survive a physical hit.

Not sure which nature either. With it being base 100 speed it already naturally outspeeds a lot of OU, especially new fifth gen pokes. And after a butterfly dance that's a non issue. Then again with the scarf users running around maybe its best to run timid on this thing.

I don't whether to choose hidden power ground or ice. If I'm not carrying ice dragons like salamence and dragonite will wall this set completely. Hidden power ground though would make short work of Heatran.

The Psychic Alien rabbit.

Rankurusu @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. ATK / 4 Def
    Calm Mind
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Ball
    Energy Ball

It's all about coverage. He has the movepool befitting a psychic and makes up for his poor defensive typing. With magic guard negating recoil he really packs damage. After a calm mind there's...really nothing that can safely switch in. Its a nice lure for Tyranitar.

I'm also thinking about running a dual screen on this set too. I may make him more supportive. I'm not sure which one would be better.

Nuttre @ Shed shell
    Ability: Iron barbs
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Att
    Nature: Brave
    Attacks: Power whip, Stealth rock, gyroball, explosion

My counter to bulky waters and a check to Onono dragon thing. A base 150 gyro ball will be doing a bit of damage even to things that resist it. Shed shell keeps it from being trapped by the likes of Shandeera.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
    Ability: Encourage
    EV's: 252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    Attacks: Dragon dance, Waterfall, Ice punch, Crunch

I wanted to use the fifth gen water starter, but I realized that this gem is much more potent. He's a late game sweeper. With encourage boosting his moves to ridiculous levels (120 BP waterfall) I have a feeling he will be a very viable pokemon in OU. After a dragon dance there's little that can take this on.

So yeah, this is it guys. Feel free to fire away.

Well with Roopushing you AREN'T running a subpuncher, because you don't have substitute lsited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katya Ivanova View Post
    laughing at criticism probably isn't the best way to go about not being hideous
    inb4malanu

ADD moment there.

Tee hee. Fixed.

I need to learn 5th Gen, searching the PokeDex is somewhat annoying -_-

Anyway, onto my first 5th Gen rate.

I'm not really sure whether that Dragonite would work. Possibly going all out Offensive DDNite could be better? I just find the lack of Attack could end up getting you 2HKO'd, while you fail to OHKO/2HKO. While if it all out attacking, you'd possibly get the upper hand by getting two DD's off while they SR and Attack, then a ton of Attack and Speed. But I'm unsure of how that Dragonite does, so it's hard to comment on them.

I like Roopushin. Although I see Earthquake redundunt along side Focus Punch. Payback would be better to hit Ghost Types, similar to SubMachamp.

If you're using that Moth thing you should really get a Spinner. I would go foor Flame Body purely for the Burns, I feel they'd be more beneficial than sometimes getting an boosted Bug Attack. Also I'd use HP Ground so you're not walled by Fire Types. You're hitting most of the Dragons with Bug Buzz. I don't see Ice getting you any extra coverage. Also, Modest for the extra power, I'd prefer it.

I don't see the Alien thing doing much, this is where I'd add the Spinner. I don't know which Spinner to add as I'm guessing there are new Spinners. I shall check some stuff and update in a day or two.

The metal grass thing is finee.

Feraligatr is fine, although Earthquake is better than Crunch for the extra coverage, mainly Bulky Steels.

This team could be a bit T-tar weak, but the grassy metal thing should defeat, and Roopushin if it gets a sub up.
    Overall a good team though.
    I have claimed Tangrowth.
    He's all mine now, hands off.

I don't think that a DD set is the best for an anti-lead. An opposing lead, such as Azelf, can just set up Stealth Rock while you DD and then Explode after surviving with a Sash. I believe that the classic anti-lead set will still do very nicely here.

Also, I really think that Feraligator should be replaced with Gyarados. Gyarados still outclasses it for power, especially with its new Overconfident ability. And if you replace the Psychic thing with a Rapid Spinner like Simse said, then there will be less fear of Stealth Rock. I think that Starmie will still make a nice spinner this gen, especially as there are only two new spinners that don't seem to outclass it too much. Starmie will also make a better special sweeper than Rankurusu.

I'll have to do some damage calcs on 5th gen pokemon to see whether my Dragonite set can be effective.

Payback will be added in place of earthquake on Roopushin.

Yes, I do need a spinner. It's just that most of the pokemon that learn it I think suck. But I need what I need I guess. Not sure what to use though. Although I was under the impression that Flying resisted bug, so other Dragon/Flying types like dragonite and salamence wall my set without hidden power ice. I will opt for flame body though.

The alien had a lot of appeal fo me because of the free life orb boosts. But it is pretty slow.

I'll consider earthquake on the alligator, its just that base 120 dark move that sounds so nice. But Roopushin already has payback. Hm.

*Goes and looks through viable rapid spinners.*

Edit:

JesusFreak; Definitley considering Starmie as a spinner. Its one of the spinners I like. However I don't really like having two electric weak pokemon on the team, and you have a point about Gyrados. Although I don't think Overconfidence Gyrados will be that common as I see Intimidate being a superior ability. For sure replacing Rankurusu, maybe replacing Feraligatr.

Rankurusu @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0 or 31/30/31/30/30/2 (HP Fight 70)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. ATK / 4 Def
    Nature: Quiet
    Calm Mind
    Focus Blast/HP Fighting
    Shadow Ball
    Trick Room/Energy Ball

this might be worth considering as a trick room sweeper, since its base 30 speed is horrible at best. It might also help with Roopushin, allowing it to move ahead of other pokemon
    Last edited by Agonist; 21st September 2010 at 10:37 PM.

I don't know how much help I can be since I haven't actually played this game yet, but..

Nuttre thing might do better with Relaxed, as it gives him a better shot of not being 2HKOed by +2 Onono-thing Earthquake. I don't know if gains any KOs by going Brave, but Relaxed lets him take hits better, I guess.

For the fighting guy, try this set!

212 HP / 252 Attack / 44 Special Defense
    Adamant @ Leftovers
    (Iron Fist or Guts)

Substitute
    Focus Punch / Drain Punch
    Payback
    Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Bulk Up

Blissey can not break his Sub with Seismic Toss, and neither will Flamethrower most of the time. Shadow Ball never will. Focus Punch will always 2HKO Skarmory no matter what your ability.

You can always drop this for Sub-Punch Breloom, who seems to do this better..

HP Ground > Ice on Mothra. +1 LO Fire Blast should do around 65% to Dragonite and Gyarados while you have Bug Buzz to smash everything else. HP Ground will hit Ghost Candle and Heatran who otherwise would kill you. I like Flame Body because you can switch in on Scizor's Bullet Punch and ruin it, or suicide yourself against an Outraging Dragon to possibly burn it. But Swarm also works.

Hmm.. on the Cell thing you could run a set not unlike Crocune. Cell has Magic Guard so he doesn't have to worry about much except Pursuit. If you max HP and Defense (Bold) you can pair it with Calm Mind / Focus Blast (or HP Fighting) / Recover / Psychic or Shadow Ball. Shadow Ball technically has better coverage but Psychic hits pretty much everything hard enough after a few Calm Minds. Recover and immunity to Toxic / Will-O-Wisp makes it a great staller. With Bold / 252 Hp / 252 Defense you only take 60% on average from Scarf Tyranitar's Crunch. +1 Focus Blast will always OHKO! If you use Life Orb you can actually run HP Fighting to still OHKO it.

Dragonite might as well run Adamant. Trying to set up Dragon Dances as a lead isn't a good strategy. Even with your defense boost lead Metagross will still OHKO with Explosion (I assume your ability halves your damage). Try..

Quiet @ Lum Berry
    212 Attack / 252 Special Attack / 44 Speed

Draco Meteor
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower
    Aqua Jet

Earthquake + Aqua Jet will always 2HKO Heatran leads. Aqua Jet also 2HKOs Aerodactyl, picks off 1HP Azelf and doesn't leave you helpless against Shanderaa. That weird Ground / Steel mole also takes a heavy hit from it. This Dragonite will hit hard right off the bat and likely collect several KOs before dying. 44 Speed outruns most lead Metagross. Imagine this..

You lead with Dragonite. They lead with Heatran. They Stealth Rock, you Earthquake and they survive because of Shuca Berry. You Aqua Jet, and they die. Now you have a full health Dragonite with likely doubled defenses and enough firepower to 2HKO almost anything. Against an offensive team you are all but guaranteed another kill.

Anyway a LOT of things 6-0 you. But the metagame isn't developed enough to tell what they are yet.. (SD Blaziken weak!)

4Hp / 252 SpAtt / 252 Spe
    Item: Swimming Goggles
    Hydro Pump
    Trick
    Icebeam
    Rapid spin

Would be a good alternative to Rankurusu? Its the spinner I need to support the moth, and with trick and I can take down a counter that tries to switch in. Hydro pump and icebeam get great coverage and I resist both SD blazikens stabs.

Y/N ?

Also would a possible choice scarf set work well for encourage feraligatr?

BH, I will do some damage calcs with Brave and see if it makes any notable diffences. If not, then I'll switch to relaxed.

On second thought, I might as well be as harsh as I can with this rate. Not really because I have to, but because I'm an ******* ^_^

-Lucario will 6-0 you with Stealth Rocks down.

-Swords Dance Garchomp has a very good chance of 6-0ing. It always will with Dragon Claw. Swords Dance Onono-dragon, Dragon Dance Dragonite and Dragon Dance Salamence are in a similar situation.

Mixed or Speced Dragons will hammer Nuttle until it dies, then easily wreck though you.

Only Nuttle has a chance of surviving +2 LO "Drill mole's" hits, and in the sand it easily outruns everything, even after a Dragon / Butterfly Dance.

Dragon Dance Tyranitar OHKOs your whole team except your fighter who can't actually hit back without throwing up a Sub. You do ok if hes at 75% or more health upon switching in but otherwise he'll die.

Cosmic Power / Roost / Whirlwind / Psycho Shift Shinpora can kill every member of your team except Mothra if it immediately switches in and Fire Blasts. If Mothra is Modest it can outrun you and get a second Cosmic Power in, at which point it will never die and instead it will Whirlwind away your attempts to kill it, taking 50% on each switch in to Stealth Rocks. (despite what I just said I support Mothra being Modest)

Swords Dance Scizor can kill everything here in one hit.

Nasty Plot or Swords Dance Infernape can kill your whole team.

Swords Dance Blaziken will set up once, then destroy. Even Mothra dies to High Jump Kick. Dragonite will not OHKO it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To fix most of these problems you need either more speed or a lot more bulk. You could drop Feraligator for Gyarados (intimidate). Gyarados can slow down the dragons from raping you and beat Lucario / Blaziken (sometimes). Gyarados also beats Swords Dance Scizor. Depending on what the boost actually is, Swimming Goggles Gyarados has the potential to run a ton of bulk while being incredibly fast.

Your fighting guy can run Bulk Up over Substitute with Paypack / Rock Slide / Drain Punch. Guts works, as does Adamant with 252 Attack / 252 HP / 4 Defense. This will help against Dragon Dance Tyranitar and thanks to Guts negating burn lets you utterly destroy Psycho Shift Shinpora.

I'm not sure how to fix the Dragon problem. You can give Nuttle Leech Seed over Explosion to stay alive longer. Possibly dropping Mothra for a Scarf Garchomp (Jolly) will at least let you take on a +1 Dragon and beat Blaziken (unless it has Protect). Garchomp does okay against Swords Dance Lucario too, assuming he stays in good health. Scarf Garchomp can revenge kill Infernape and double check Cosmic Power Shinpora.

Don't use Starmie. Shanderaa will be everywhere and the scarfed versions will kill you without mercy.

Dragonite was mainly an anti-lead in dppthgss because of inner focus which allowed it to handle leadrachis and infernape+weaville fake out leads. Here you are running DD with an ability thats not allowing it to be an effective lead. many leads carry taunt aswell such as azelf aerodactyl and gliscor. plus jirachi aint gonna let u move much. plus fakeout leads will cancel the effect of your ability which allows it to take less damage at full health but it gets canceled out by fake out.