View Poll Results: Is the Fire/Fighting starter getting old?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

109 77.86%
  • No

7 5.00%
  • I don't care

24 17.14%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you Tired of the Fire/Fighting Starter Type?

Do not fix that what is not broken.

It doesn't bother me as I normally use Water types (and the odd Grass starter if I fancy something new) and haven't up to now had a Fire starter.

But I can see why people are tired of it already as it will be the Third starter with Fire/Fighting types.
    Would be nice if they did Fire/Dark (Hellhound:P), Fire/Ground (Camerupt ftw) or something along them lines.
    ~Xx Flare xX~

Why isn't anyone complaining about having 3 pure Grass starters?

that's just as bad as 3 Fire/Fightings, people are just biased becuase their firef@gs and demand the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFlygon08 View Post

that's just as bad as 3 Fire/Fightings, people are just biased becuase their firef@gs and demand the best.
    they did that with water as well, but not 3 times IN A ROW!
    Roserade's been claimed, so I CLAIMED ROSELIA!!!
    Kirby's Return To Dreamland Comes out Oct. 24th!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFlygon08 View Post

Venasaur is Grass poison.

Quote Originally Posted by Roserazor View Post
    they did that with water as well, but not 3 times IN A ROW!
    Swampert is water/ground.

And having three water or three grass is an invalid complaint. The starters will always be fire/water/grass as well as their final evolutions. The secondary type of starters is the focus of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

The only reason it bothers me is because the Pokemon is a PIG. I really don't imagine pigs being Fighting types in any way. But that's just me.
    Yu-Gi-Oh: World Tour
    ~NEW~
    A collab fic (w/ Brandy Beavers & Uninspired Author)
    Third Stop is up [11/28/14]

Heroic Potential
    A Yugioh! fic. Chapter 20 is up [12/14/13]

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    Venasaur is Grass poison.

Swampert is water/ground.

And having three water or three grass is an invalid complaint. The starters will always be fire/water/grass as well as their final evolutions. The secondary type of starters is the focus of this thread.
    Yeah that means there are three of each, Meganium, Sceptile and Jaroda. And Blastoise, Feraligatr and Daikenki(they aren't in a row but whatever).

And why doesn't that count? So it is bad with having a common secondary typing but not to have none secondary typing. I think that all the starters need more variation.

YES, this gen I expected fire/ground .. but I'll live. Besides I think all the fire/fighting starters designs are cool.

-1PokemonAddict. (:
    Pokémon White Team

Daikenki, Leperasudu, Denchura, Kenhorou, Hihidaruma and Tsunbear. (:

(English name update later when available.)

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    Yeah that means there are three of each, Meganium, Sceptile and Jaroda. And Blastoise, Feraligatr and Daikenki(they aren't in a row but whatever).

And why doesn't that count? So it is bad with having a common secondary typing but not to have none secondary typing. I think that all the starters need more variation.
    The point I'm making is that there's no use complaining about a starter type that will remain on the pokemon until the franchise dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    The point I'm making is that there's no use complaining about a starter type that will remain on the pokemon until the franchise dies.
    That is ok, but Metal Flygon wasn't complaining about their primary type, he was complaining about their lack of a secondary type.

Kind of. I was hoping for a Fire/Dark, Water/Fighting, Grass/Psychic trio this gen, and I thought it was going to happen for sure with the way the starters were looking. It doesn't really matter that much to me, as Pokabu works better as a fire default than a fighting default, so I never use him in that regard.

Basically, I don't really care. Emboar is a better fire/fighting starter than Blaziken and is equal to Infernape, imo.

[bleep]

I don't typically pick the Fire starter, so it doesn't bother me much. But it would be nice to see a different secondary type after three generations in a row having Fire/Fighting. Even a pure Fire type would be nice, as we've only had one of those.
    God is awesome.

NamelessShippingHunterShipping
    グリシル

You can view my full list of ships here.

Blaziken: Really awesome looking pokémon and the one i prefer.

Infernape: Another one? Well, base stats are better, but i still prefer blaziken

Emboar: WTF??? NOT ANOTHER ONE? WHY IS IT THAT ALL POKEPIGS STAND ON TWO LEGS (or a spring)??? ITS NOT RIGHT...
    Have a nice day

Black FC: 3911-6974-2268
    -STUNFISK LAUGHS AT YOU!-

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present."

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Angry

Normally I'd be neutral on an issue like this, but this time I'm not. This time I'll say that I am sick of this repeated type combo. The fact that the beginning form is an ordinary 4-legged pig makes it even worse. Making its evos suddenly biped and buff is the randomest thing ever, and a pathetic excuse to reuse the same type combo.

Aaaah, that's better.
    I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, who couldn't love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.

Credit to pokefan#493 for the userbar and Northern Lights for the badge

Click the banner to go to this forum's branch of the Bring Back Bionicle Club.

I am now the rightful claimer of Machop in the Official Claim A Pokemon Thread v5! [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2z57udz.jpg[/IMG]

What annoys me the most is that Pokabu's final form doesn't even strike me as being a fighting type. It seems more like a Dark type if anything.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

I dislike the Idea, but, even if I dissgree, nothing will be changed anyway
    "Everything will be all right in the end.
    If it's not all right, then it's not the end."

We've had three pure-Water starters.
    We've had three pure-Grass starters.
    We've had three Fire/Fighting starters.

Waiting til next gen before deciding, cause right now, it's not bothering me.

I'm definitely fine with the comeback of the typing. In fact I was sad about gen.V because I thought the fire/fighting 'era' was over but...*happyface! I'm just not a big fan of the new fire/fighting starter's looks. Blaziken is the coolest IMO

It's a very unique typing and for those who like the type but didn't like Blaziken, for example; well now there's bound to be one they like at least a little.
    NOVEMBER 2014

I love fire/fighting so I'm fine as long as they don't go with it in gen 6
    uture FWhite Team

Stupid character limit won't let me post other team >_<

At first I thought WTF? A third Fire/Fighting starter, of all Pok&#233;mon, the starter.

But then I din't mind. Now that we have three Fire/Fighting Types there is bound to be one that can fit around your team.

They all have different base stat distributions that can be useful for whatever purpose.

Emboar has monster HP and the highest Attack of them all.

Infernape is the fastest of them all while having the lowest Attack and second highest special attack, however they all are rather high for attacking stats.

Blaziken is more all round for the three of them, but that's my interpretation.

Sure, there are three Fire/Fighting Types but that's all. What about all the Grass/Poison types or Normal/Flying types that are useless to battle with (coughFarfetch'dcough).

Since someone made a comment about Fire/Fighting being one of the only good combos for Fire, I decided to look up what Fire DOES pair with well (did this while avoiding homework). Note: I'm not a competitive battler, so I can't provide opinions from that standpoint. I'll start with the three we have. Sorry if this is a little long.
    w = weak to, r = resists, i = immune to, * = both types weak/resistant to

Pure Fire: W: water, ground, rock. r: fire, grass, ice, bug, steel. i: none. Typhlosion.

Fire/Fighting: w: water, ground, flying, psychic. r: fire, grass, ice, bug*, dark, steel. i: none. Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar. Done 3 times, and the overall reason for this thread.

Fire/Flying: w: water, electric, rock*. r: fire, grass*, fighting, bug*, steel. i: ground. Charizard.

Now for some "new" stater type possibilities.

Fire/Water: Unless starters will suddenly start sharing the three main types with each other, this is unlikely, but anyway: w: electric, ground, rock. r: fire*, ice*, bug, steel*. i: none

Fire/Grass: like Fire/Water, unlikely that a starter will get another starters' type through evolving, but here it is anyway: W: poison, flying, rock. r: electric, grass*, steel. i: none.

More viable options.

Fire/Normal: Adds a fighting weakness and a ghost immunity. Otherwise, stays the same as pure Fire. Could be viable. I like it, anyway.

Fire/Electric: w: water, ground*, rock. r: fire, electric, grass, ice, flying, bug, steel*. i: none. The dual Ground weakness hurts, especially with how common Earthquake is, but that's the only weakness added. At least it could hit Waters back with STAB Electric moves.

Fire/Ice: w: fighting, ground, rock*. r: grass, ice*, bug. i: none. The large Stealth Rock weakness is the biggest problem here. Not that they're unwilling to have a starter face a large SR weakness (Charizard). At least it isn't hit by Hail . . .

Fire/Poison: w: water, ground*, psychic, rock. r: fire, grass*, ice, fighting, poison, bug*, steel. i: none, but immune to being inflicted with the Poison/Toxic condition. Duel Ground weakness doesn't look good, though.

Fire/Ground: w: water*, ground. r: fire, poison, bug, steel. i: electric. 4x Water weakness, but Stealth Rock weakness gets canceled out.

Fire/Psychic: w: water, ground, rock, ghost, dark. r: fire, grass, ice, fighting, psychic, steel. i: none. At least nothing doubles up . . .

Fire/Bug: w: water, flying, rock*. r: grass*, ice, fighting, bug, steel. i: none. Yeah, 4x rock again . . .

Fire/Rock: W: water*, fighting, ground*, rock. r: normal, fire*, ice, poison, flying, bug. i: none. This one doesn't look too good, 2 4x weaknesses and still weak to Rock.

Fire/Ghost: w: water, ground, rock, ghost, dark. r: fire, grass, ice, poison, bug*, steel. i: normal, fighting. Same weaknesses as Fire/Psychic, but at least it gets immunities.

Fire/Dragon: If they'd ever make a part-Dragon evolved starter, anyway. w: ground, rock, dragon. r: fire*, electric, grass*, bug, steel. i: none.

Fire/Dark: w: water, fighting, ground, rock. r: fire, grass, ice, ghost, dark, steel. i: psychic. Well, nothing doubles up in either weakness or resistance.

Fire/Steel: w: water, fighting, ground*. r: normal, grass* ice*, flying, psychic, bug*, ghost, dragon, dark, steel*. i: poison. While it has a 4x Ground weakness, the Stealth Rock weakness is canceled out (similar to Fire/Ground, just a different weakness magnified).

While Grass and Water have been pure-types the same amount as Fire/Fighting has appeared, I think F/F is more noticible because it's a dual type. There are some viable typings other than Fighting that don't look all that bad (I think Normal looks good, and maybe even electric, ground, steel, dark, and ghost). Once again, I don't battle competitively, so I don't know.

Personally, it doesn't bug me since I usually don't use the same starter type twice in a row for my first play through of a game, and I used Fire first recently, so I'll be picking a different starter. Just thought I'd throw this up for people who were curious.

Here's a little food or thought. I put this info in the Pokemon trivia section, but I guess I'll mention it here.

While the last three final evos of the starters are Fire/Fighting, the first two fire starter final evolutions had the exact same base stats.

And to answer the question, no.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

I was REALLY looking forward to a new fire type. The way it had been going, I was expecting either a pure fire type, or a nifty combination. Fire/Dark perhaps. I was also hoping for new type combos for each starter.

Water/Fighting
    Fire/Dark
    Grass/Steel
    Currently Looking For: Sneasel, Tangela, Teddiursa.
    Available: Eevee, Johto Starters, Growlithe, Vulpix, Phanpy, etc. Ask and I may have.

My Blog

When love is lost and loss o'er takes me,
    The rules of love then are hidden,
    And chaos rules and order lost,
    And hidden then, my heart, from love.

Fire/Fighting for the 3rd time straight? No kidding. Yeah I'm tired of it. On top of that two of the fire starters are monkey and pig. Seriously couldn't they find any other creatures other than those two filthy ones.

Anywho what happened to Charizard? How come it's still Fire/Flying, and not a Fire/Dragon? Blaziken got a speed boost or whatever, it's not fair.
    "Your signature was too epic! My epeen couldn't handle its epicness" - so called half-arsed mod (they know who they are)

Quote Originally Posted by poizonsting View Post
    Fire/Fighting for the 3rd time straight? No kidding. Yeah I'm tired of it. On top of that two of the fire starters are monkey and pig. Seriously couldn't they find any other creatures other than those two filthy ones.

Anywho what happened to Charizard? How come it's still Fire/Flying, and not a Fire/Dragon? Blaziken got a speed boost or whatever, it's not fair.
    What is the problem with a monkey and a pig? I really don't see the problem.

It didn't get a speed boost, it got the abillity Speed Boost, Charizard also got a new abillity, Solar Power, however that is not nearly as good as Speed Boost. Charizard would have been hugely owwerpowered as part Dragon anyway.

A little more on topic: Yeah I am tired of that, I am also tired of the pure Grass and Water starters, I think Emboar could easely have been part Dark and Daikenki Fighting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast